Old 08-03-2019, 09:46 AM

Yeah, "condemnation" that in the SAME post basically said, 'Hey, these guys are assholes but maybe they have some good points'. I quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Bothsidesism can be a copout, but in this case it is highly applicable.
That kind of "condemnation" is like condemning the racists for targeting brown people when they should focus their ire only on black people.

You set a low, low bar for yourself and barely cleared it.

Last edited by Great Antibob; 08-03-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:53 AM

I've taken Slacker to task a number of times for the obvious reasons, but the quote itself struck me as an attempt at introspection. I think he was trying to explain the fact that people really do often want to feel like they're higher up in the food chain than everyone else. I don't find that comment controversial at all. I find many of his other posts cringe-worthy, but not this one.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:12 AM
Suspended

Actually, Great Antibob, it wasn’t that post I was referring to. It was this one:

Quote:
Incels and especially the red pill crowd do not deserve to be defended. They are truly horrible people. But evolutionary psychology does needs to be defended. That’s not to say that every finding ever produced in that field is airtight, any more than this is the case in the rest of psychology. But there is a lot of validity to that line of inquiry even if hardcore feminists and social scientists abhor the implications.

But let’s look at the full context of the post you so selectively quoted:

Quote:
Incels and red pillers are not operating from a reasonable scientific perspective. They are way way off. But their ideological opposites, ardent feminists coming from a “woke” social science perspective, are equally far off from the truth in the other direction (although at least their hearts are closer to being in the right place). Bothsidesism can be a copout, but in this case it is highly applicable.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 08-03-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Actually, Great Antibob, it wasn’t that post I was referring to. It was this one:
<blah blah>

But let’s look at the full context of the post you so selectively quoted:
<blah blah blah>

<blah blah> mine.

Christ, you are a piece of work.

Why the need to drag feminists into this conversation? They weren't part of any conversation having to do with incels. Nobody brought them up as far as I recall. Nobody but you, that is. Because you just can't fucking let an opportunity go by without a needless shot at your favorite target: 'Sure incels are bad, but let's not forget those horrible feminists!'
You are one sad, pathetic, small minded bellend.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 08-03-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
BTW, Andy, you are the one who has trouble imagining how others feel. You were so ready to believe I was into the whole “red pill” thing until I showed you that I had stated in unequivocal terms my condemnation for them well before you posted.
People draw the conclusion that you are "red pill" based on your actions and posts. A post that says "oh no, bad red pill" does not negate your actual behavior.

You are officially up there with Hurricane Ditka in my opinion. You cannot have a straight conversation to save your life. Your goalposts are mounted on golf carts that swing around the field randomly.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
BTW, Andy, you are the one who has trouble imagining how others feel. You were so ready to believe I was into the whole “red pill” thing until I showed you that I had stated in unequivocal terms my condemnation for them well before you posted.
People draw the conclusion that you are "red pill" based on your actions and posts. A post that says "oh no, bad red pill" does not negate your actual behavior.

You are officially up there with Hurricane Ditka in my opinion. You cannot have a straight conversation to save your life. Your goalposts are mounted on golf carts that swing around the field randomly.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:37 AM

Said it once before but it bears repeating...
Old 08-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Slacker starts a thread about how MFA won't work because people want to feel superior to other people, eventually reveals that he's actually the one who feels that way. I really don't even know what to say to this.
It's pretty common sentiment expresses poorly. The idea of relative wealth having a psychological impact is real. Here is one article, but this is a common enough theme.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...inequality/amp
Old 08-03-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
It's pretty common sentiment expresses poorly. The idea of relative wealth having a psychological impact is real. Here is one article, but this is a common enough theme.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...inequality/amp
Article makes a larger point of negative feelings (inferiority) of those that are poor, rather than feelings of superiority by those that are relatively wealthy. In fact, it states that those that are well off tend not to express their feelings on the matter while poor people tend to engage in riskier behavior. We can speculate about whether or not wealthier people are hiding their feelings of superiority for various reasons, ex. they tend to under-report their status, however, the article does not explore this aspect in any depth. Doesn't mean it's not a thing. Just that the article doesn't provide insight into this.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 08-03-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Extrajudicial

Gah, I linked to the wrong article. I meant this wiki, specifically the upward and downward comparison section:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soci...parison_theory
Old 08-03-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Gah, I linked to the wrong article. I meant this wiki, specifically the upward and downward comparison section:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soci...parison_theory
Yeah, that provides better insights. This one may be the most apt in this context:

Quote:
Low self-esteem and social comparison:

However, people with low self-esteem or people who are experiencing some sort of threat in their life (such as doing poorly in school, or suffering from an illness) tend to favor downward comparisons over upward comparisons. People with low self-esteem and negative affect improve their mood by making downward comparisons. Their mood does not improve as much as it would if they had high self-esteem. Even for people with low self-esteem, these downward social comparisons do improve their negative mood and allow them to feel hope and motivation for their future.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I am at least being pragmatic and trying to get at least basic health care coverage (if not necessarily as good as mine) for everyone who does not currently have it. You apparently feel that it is better to sit on a high horse and express condemnation of anyone not as morally pure as you.

Just in case my wording there is not clear, that is 26% of all Americans, not of swing voters.

ETA:

Epic #humblebrag there

YWTF: Are you not aware that those “sad sacks” include swing voters in Wisconsin?
I guess I'm alone in feeling gratitude that I'm not at the mercy of my illness anymore. Apparently, it's more common to feel Superior to other poor saps who can't get medical care. I don't compare myself to "those people" because I was one of those people and it SUCKED. I hope no one has to be one of "those people."

Then I'm alone. Ah well. Still wish everyone had great health coverage.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
I guess I'm alone in feeling gratitude that I'm not at the mercy of my illness anymore. Apparently, it's more common to feel Superior to other poor saps who can't get medical care..
He thinks you’re humble bragging about your awesome healthcare, not your feelings. The projection is so strong in this one that his smallness can’t help but show even in his insults.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Why do you suppose that is? Maybe because your views on other things make it a pretty natural assumption? You seem to have turned the douchiness up this last week or so, too.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
I guess I'm alone in feeling gratitude that I'm not at the mercy of my illness anymore. Apparently, it's more common to feel Superior to other poor saps who can't get medical care. I don't compare myself to "those people" because I was one of those people and it SUCKED. I hope no one has to be one of "those people."

Then I'm alone. Ah well. Still wish everyone had great health coverage.
You're not alone in feeling gratitude or wishing everyone had even basic health coverage. I was lucky I had insurance. But it made me aware of how we would've been financially devastated if I hadn't, and to how many people either can't afford their treatment or are indeed financially ruined. A compassionate person gives a shit about things like that. No matter how much Slacker wants his feeling of superiority to be normal, it isn't. It's certainly widespread, however. But normal? No.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:37 PM

I have the best healthcare package in this country (tricare) and my prevailing feeling is guilt. Guilt that me and my family have reaped the benefits of socialized medicine, while there are others who have to scrounge for loose change in their couch to pay for their life-essential insulin.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

As noted early, on issues like alleged origins about the differences of intelligence among "races", lukewarm climate chance, and "centrist" anti-GMO stance, the evidence shows that SlackerInc continues to be unaware about how the sources he relies on grossly misleads people like him.

As his latests efforts show, it has to be added to all that that he also falls easily for asinine sources regarding late term abortion, health care, incels and feminism.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Suspended

Merrily continuing to strawman away, I see. If someone read these posts in isolation, they would see a picture painted of someone who opposes universal health coverage and relishes seeing people go into medical bankruptcy. Have you really somehow deluded yourself into thinking this is true, or are you just trying to make some distorted case to spin readers you hope have not actually read what I really have to say about this?
Old 08-03-2019, 03:54 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
Why do you suppose that is? Maybe because your views on other things make it a pretty natural assumption? You seem to have turned the douchiness up this last week or so, too.

ORLY? Like this post from yesterday, in the next Pit thread over?

Quote:
I agree with others who counsel a different approach. I was “carfree” for several years and often had car drivers pull dangerous shit when I was on my bike. My first impulse of the moment, seeing red, was often to flip them off before immediately regretting it. This was in rural Missouri, and there were two different occasions when this led to a double barrel being quickly pulled down from the redneck’s gun rack and my life flashing before my eyes. It’s not worth it.

Sam Harris talks effectively about how testosterone-fueled hairless apes can be so dangerous when they feel their manhood is challenged. In particular, they can take offense even to someone inadvertently making eye contact with them. He described what he says when this happens. and I’m sure you would think it makes him a “pussy”; but I believe it is extremely sage advice.

When a bristling macho guy, spoiling for a fight, challenges him with “What are you fucking looking at?” he responds “Oh, sorry man: I was just kinda zoning out and staring off into space. It’s been a long day.” Confrontation defused, and what has he lost? If your self-image is tied up in maintaining a strong and unwavering exterior of someone who doesn’t back down, that’s a pretty sad existence if you ask me.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Merrily continuing to strawman away, I see. If someone read these posts in isolation, they would see a picture painted of someone who opposes universal health coverage and relishes seeing people go into medical bankruptcy. Have you really somehow deluded yourself into thinking this is true, or are you just trying to make some distorted case to spin readers you hope have not actually read what I really have to say about this?
Well, one thing to add as a clarification is not more flattering. I add that while you are not going full throttle into right wing lala land, it is just that you do not have much of an aptitude in identifying what would be an appropriate source of information to use even when trying to reach for a middle ground on a subject, a "middle ground" that is also compromised beforehand by the silly sources that you rely on.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Suspended

GIGO, you still need more ESL classes to interact effectively on this board. I’m sure what you know is perfectly adequate for ordering at a restaurant or checking into a hotel though.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
GIGO, you still need more ESL classes to interact effectively on this board. I’m sure what you know is perfectly adequate for ordering at a restaurant or checking into a hotel though.
Are you going on this again? Do you realize that everyone else has absolutely no problem reading Gigo's posts, and he has probably less* typos and errors than most posters on this board?

If you have problems following his posts, that is entirely on you and you reading comprehension. I get it that it's the pit and insults are to fly here, but this picking on him due to your knowledge that he speaks at least one more language than you do just makes you look petty and stupid.

*fewer
Old 08-03-2019, 05:08 PM
Suspended

What evidence is there that he speaks more languages than I do? I am currently making extra money translating a self published author’s novel from French to English.

ETA: But I would still be reluctant to post on a Francophone board like this one.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 08-03-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:11 PM

I mean if more of us spoke affected-dipshit it might help Slacker out.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
What evidence is there that he speaks more languages than I do? I am currently making extra money translating a self published author’s novel from French to English.

ETA: But I would still be reluctant to post on a Francophone board like this one.
Sorry for the author. I guess if you are self publishing, then you don't really have many options, and you go with the lowest bidder.

That you claim to struggle with GIGO's posts anytime that you just don't want to answer them makes me think that you are still need more EFL classes, though your English is probably almost adequate for locating a bathroom, but obviously not yet good enough to find the library.

Seriously, in the post that you called out, what was the grammar or syntax issue, caused by GIGO's use of English as a second language, that you were unable to understand?
Old 08-03-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
I mean if more of us spoke affected-dipshit it might help Slacker out.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that besides falling for misleading information about the differences of intelligence among "races", lukewarm climate chance, "centrist" anti-GMO, late term abortion, health care, incels and feminism, he also likes to reach for the grammar nazi gambit as an excuse to not have to deal with the point one makes.

As others like you showed, I may have problems with English, but it is not hard to see what is the point.

So, we will see if the Slacker still thinks that a hack like Lomborg is still a good source of information to rely on regarding the issue of climate change for example.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 08-03-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:26 PM
Suspended

It’s true that I bid lower than others, not having a degree or anything. But she has been rapturous about the results.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Suspended

And fine, that one was less garbled than most. Good for you, GIGO!

BTW, my Spanish is probably better than most people who have taken five years in high school, although not nearly as good as my French. And I took a year of Russian in high school, with the second semester being moved to Russian II because I had lapped the rest of the class. I can still parse Cyrillic and engage in basic pleasantries.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And fine, that one was less garbled than most. Good for you, GIGO!

BTW, my Spanish is probably better than most people who have taken five years in high school, although not nearly as good as my French. And I took a year of Russian in high school, with the second semester being moved to Russian II because I had lapped the rest of the class. I can still parse Cyrillic and engage in basic pleasantries.
Avoidance of the fact that you are still not acknowledging that Lomborg is a hack is duly noted.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
BTW, my Spanish is probably better than most people who have taken five years in high school
Comparing yourself to people who took 5 years to complete high school may not be as flattering as you think it is.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:48 PM

I can ask where the train station is. Of course, if I get an answer I still won't know.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:58 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Comparing yourself to people who took 5 years to complete high school may not be as flattering as you think it is.

As loathe as I am to defend Scum, Inc., technically grades 7 through 12 are high school (i.e., secondary school). So, it's quite possible to have taken 5, even 6, years of Spanish in high school.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
As loathe as I am to defend Scum, Inc., technically grades 7 through 12 are high school (i.e., secondary school). So, it's quite possible to have taken 5, even 6, years of Spanish in high school.
Maybe it's a midwestern thing, but we have always called 6,7,8 junior high.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:11 PM
Suspended

Okay, THROUGH high school. You got me, congrats. (I did actually graduate high school in three years, but in the bottom half of my class; and several of my classmates were surprised to see me at graduation, LOL.)

Quote:
ORLY? Like this post from yesterday, in the next Pit thread over?

Since (unlike me) my critics cannot seem to ever manage to cough up even a grudging mea culpa, I will take their lack of response as such. You are granted absolution — now go forth and sin no more.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:21 PM
Suspended

BTW, I spent 15 minutes attempting to construct a parodic GIGO post, but I ultimately failed. It was going to be hilarious! But that unique style proved to be too difficult to emulate. His prose is uniquely his own, and inimitable, like Trump’s word salad.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Unlike you?

You still want to pretend that you do not fall for misinformation constantly?

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...&postcount=159

As I said before, I prefer to have grammar problems and not to be an asshole to others that have it worse.

And it is noted for the 3rd time, you are still avoiding to deal with the fact that Lomborg is a hack.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 08-03-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:11 PM

I don't know him or his views but thus far I've seen it said in this thread that he believes African-Americans are less intelligent and that, because of that, he believes in increased funding for their schools, etc.. Do I have that right? Such an unusual position that I really haven't seen before. If so, at least it's a somewhat "honorable" form of racism. Intellectually racist, politically moral. It would make for a fascinating character in a novel or movie.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:18 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:

I went through 7~12 back East. I was surprised to find out the universities to which I was applying back then considered 7th grade on to be high school, as in secondary, although we also called 7~9 either junior high or middle school. Now I live in China and I get a kick out of the Chinese terminology:
  • Primary school - 1st through 6th grades
  • Junior middle school - 7th through 9th grades
  • Senior middle school - 10th through 12th grades
  • Tertiary school - university

Turns out they're correct!
Old 08-03-2019, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCharlemagne View Post
It would make for a fascinating character in a novel or movie.
Heh. That's kind of what I thought about his "I take pride in my low deductible" gambit. He's graduated from messageboard douche into full-on John Irving character with that bit, equal parts grotesque and pathetic.

He's an interesting character, but not the protagonist.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:13 PM

She said she really admired my low deductible. So, I guess you could say things are starting to get pretty serious.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:54 PM

I never knew or suspected GIGO didn’t have English as a first language. Huh.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:29 PM

For what it's worth, I never even picked up that GIGO wasn't a native speaker until back when the first asshole started insulting him over it. When looking for it, I can now see some characteristic mistakes, but there's enough content that I had glossed over them in the past.

As for the Pittee: I still haven't figured out why in the world he's not part of the alt-rights, as he so often repeats their rhetoric. I remember that, long ago, he said that his political opinions were very eclectic. Now he calls himself a centrist, but I really think he means he holds mutual incompatible left-leaning and far right beliefs.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Well, thanks for that Atamasama, BigT, k9bfriender and others. One thing that the Slacker spectacularly misses is that there is another reason why I decided to join the SDMB. (And I dabble with Reddit too) It was not only to become part of a group that does not take 'no cite' for an answer but because I also needed to practice my English.

Of course, it would be more fun to go to Spanish sites, but where is the challenge on that? The more you challenge yourself, the more you learn and grow. And then one can notice also when Slackers pretends to be concerned about a thing like grammar he only offers "solutions" like 'leave this place' while cowardly ignoring a question or the evidence on an issue. In this case, I can see that the one being roasted here has still not noticed that not being able to point at the faults me and others commit is just evidence of his unhelpfulness and possible ignorance about English grammar from his part too; either that or, as others can notice, he pretends to not understand so as to continue to evade the questions, but he is not fooling others.

So, not only a willful ignorant of how easy it has been for powerful interests to poison our sources of information, but he is also a jerk that still thinks that tap dancing around the evidence that shows that a source whom he relied on was compromised is permission enough to ignore it too.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 08-03-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:31 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Now he calls himself a centrist

Cite? I thought I usually described myself as center-left, but maybe I’m forgetting something from some post. And there are some preferences I have that are actually quite far left. I can elaborate if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCharlemagne View Post
I don't know him or his views but thus far I've seen it said in this thread that he believes African-Americans are less intelligent and that, because of that, he believes in increased funding for their schools, etc.. Do I have that right? Such an unusual position that I really haven't seen before. If so, at least it's a somewhat "honorable" form of racism. Intellectually racist, politically moral. It would make for a fascinating character in a novel or movie.

Correct and thanks. (I like John Irving, but I see myself more as an Updike character.)
Old 08-04-2019, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Now he calls himself a centrist
Most people do, no matter how wacko they are.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:46 AM
Suspended

Still waiting for the cite that I called myself “centrist” (in general: I know I have done so specifically about abortion, where I believe the right to first trimester abortion should be protected and even funded by the federal government, but should be largely banned after that).
Old 08-07-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
When I was in school, K-6 was elementary, 7-9 junior high, and 10-12 senior high.

I think for the generation just before us, it was K-6, 7-8, 9-12

And the generation just after us, it was K-5 elementary, 6-8 middle school, 9-12 high school.

This was in the Midwest.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Suspended

Same.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:30 PM

I just put his ass on Ignore. I did it quite a while ago. I have no time for that much pure bullshit.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Still waiting for the cite
Hmm, maybe it's just their "experience over many years of encounters with" you, and "also pretty much common fucking sense if you have ever spent any time around" you. I mean, that's what you seem to consider an adequate response when someone asks you for a cite for your claims.