Old 08-07-2019, 05:55 PM
Suspended

Apples and oranges, c’mon. I provide tons of cites all the fucking time. If I claimed someone here said something and they challenged me on whether they really said that, I would back it up or retract it.

But if you want to believe feminist sociologists would be cool with research showing women prefer the smell of symmetrical men, but only when they are ovulating, feel free. Maybe you also want to join the challenge against my use of “cohort”, too?
Old 08-07-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Still waiting for the cite that I called myself “centrist” (in general: I know I have done so specifically about abortion, where I believe the right to first trimester abortion should be protected and even funded by the federal government, but should be largely banned after that).
Hold on. You readily agree that you believe African-Americans have less intelligence, but you require a cite when someone calls you a "centrist"?
Old 08-07-2019, 06:01 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Hold on. You readily agree that you believe African-Americans have less intelligence, but you require a cite when someone calls you a "centrist"?

Correct. With the proviso that the first part is “on average”. (This is an established fact of psychometric measurement. The only question is the reason for it.) But plenty of black folks are smarter than most white folks.

ETA: And African Americans certainly have, on average, much better taste in political candidates!

Last edited by SlackerInc; 08-07-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Apples and oranges, c’mon. I provide tons of cites all the fucking time.
When someone asks you for a cite for a particular claim you've made, saying "well, I provided cites somewhere else for some other claims" isn't really a valid response. The poster(s) you just said you're "still waiting for a cite" from could likewise claim that they provide tons of cites all the fucking time.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I never knew or suspected GIGO didn’t have English as a first language. Huh.
Me, either.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:15 PM
Suspended

I guess some of us are more perspicacious.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I guess some of us are more perspicacious.
Or useless and unwilling to learn from evidence, when others show that information that you use has been tainted. Lomborg, Murray and others are glad that you fall for guys like them.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 08-07-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:38 PM
Suspended

Do you get a commission every time you mention Lomborg? You are obsessed with that guy!
Old 08-07-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you get a commission every time you mention Lomborg? You are obsessed with that guy!
How hard is to acknowledge that sources that you use can fool you?

Seems that it is harder for you to deal with the fact that guys with grammar problems can also identify bad sources better than you can.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 08-07-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:55 PM
Suspended

Had a conversation with my 9yo daughter just now, that I thought I would share, just to provide a fuller picture for those who might take me for a raging chauvinist (and who aren’t aware that I backed Hillary Clinton against Bernie in 2016, and am supporting Kamala Harris now).

We were watching documentary images of women marching in the 1970s. She asked what it was all about. My response:

“Well, things back then were really unfair to women. They are better now, but they still aren’t totally fair. Like, in the Senate, even when your mom was your younger brother’s age, there were only two women senators, and 98 men. Super unfair. Then when she was your age, that went up to 7. Better, but still really unfair. Now there are 25, so a lot better—but it won’t really be fair until it’s 50/50.”

Preemptively: No, I don’t want a cookie. Just to balance the portrait a bit.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Had a conversation with my 9yo daughter just now, that I thought I would share, just to provide a fuller picture for those who might take me for a raging chauvinist (and who aren’t aware that I backed Hillary Clinton against Bernie in 2016, and am supporting Kamala Harris now).

We were watching documentary images of women marching in the 1970s. She asked what it was all about. My response:

“Well, things back then were really unfair to women. They are better now, but they still aren’t totally fair. Like, in the Senate, even when your mom was your younger brother’s age, there were only two women senators, and 98 men. Super unfair. Then when she was your age, that went up to 7. Better, but still really unfair. Now there are 25, so a lot better—but it won’t really be fair until it’s 50/50.”

Have you told her your theories on the intellectual inferiority of those with darker pigmented skin than you?

If so, how did she react?

If not, why not?
Old 08-08-2019, 06:05 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Have you told her your theories on the intellectual inferiority of those with darker pigmented skin than you?

If so, how did she react?

If not, why not?

That’s a fair question. A really good one, actually. I have not told her. I will reflect on why not and get back to you.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:

You have not a shred of self awareness, do you?

So if we call you a sniveling racists, you'll tell us a story involving your daughter to assure us you have a black friend.

You whining, attention whoring, insecure, pseudo-intellectual, utterly useless twat.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:31 PM

thathappened
Old 08-08-2019, 06:59 PM
Suspended

I guess the answer is that I think it requires greater maturity and ability to process what averages and standard deviations signify than my daughter currently possesses. I don’t want her to take away the message that all white people are smarter than all black people, which is far from true. My 19yo son OTOH knows about my views (dissenting strongly from many of them), and I have even linked him to posts here (although he always wonders what the point is of posting on a message board instead of just going on Reddit).
Old 08-08-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
That’s a fair question. A really good one, actually. I have not told her. I will reflect on why not and get back to you.
If I had to guess, I'd say that, while you don't really give a shit what we think of you, (and why should you, really?), you actually want her to like you.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I guess the answer is that I think it requires greater maturity and ability to process what averages and standard deviations signify than my daughter currently possesses. I don’t want her to take away the message that all white people are smarter than all black people, which is far from true. My 19yo son OTOH knows about my views (dissenting strongly from many of them), and I have even linked him to posts here (although he always wonders what the point is of posting on a message board instead of just going on Reddit).
Telling your daughter "proven facts" requires a great maturity? If it's a "proven fact", why don't you just say that?

Do you also withhold the fact that you drive human trafficking victims around?
Old 08-08-2019, 08:30 PM
Suspended

You apparently want me to get deactivated from Uber. Not down for that.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
You apparently want me to get deactivated from Uber. Not down for that.
Yes, heaven forbid you lose your lucrative Uber job by helping human trafficking victims. What kind of example would that set for your daughter?
Old 08-08-2019, 10:29 PM

Uh, human trafficking what now?
Old 08-08-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Uh, human trafficking what now?
He has shared some charming anecdotes about the Eastern European sex workers he has driven around.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:50 PM
Suspended

Dancers at an aboveboard strip club who seem perfectly fine, not scared, etc. sometimes order Uber rides, which I fulfill as is my contractual obligation. But they are sex workers, so he likes to throw around this hyperbole. Not sure why he doesn’t go try to intervene at his local strip club.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Tell him that if you want to know what people on Reddit have to say on a subject, you’ll wait for it to appear in a Factinate or Ratemyjob clickbait on Facebook...

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 08-08-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Dancers at an aboveboard strip club who seem perfectly fine, not scared, etc. sometimes order Uber rides, which I fulfill as is my contractual obligation. But they are sex workers, so he likes to throw around this hyperbole. Not sure why he doesn’t go try to intervene at his local strip club.
Huh, I never pictured you as Mel Gibson before.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:05 AM
Suspended

Not getting the reference.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
My 19yo son OTOH knows about my views (dissenting strongly from many of them), and I have even linked him to posts here (although he always wonders what the point is of posting on a message board instead of just going on Reddit).
And why does your son dissent strongly? What specifically does he say?
Old 08-09-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Not getting the reference.
You haven't seen Payback?

Pit you for that alone, his last good movie before he went all crazy.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:08 AM
Suspended

The only non-Mad Max, non-Lethal Weapon movie of his I’ve seen is “What Women Want”. (I was not impressed.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
And why does your son dissent strongly? What specifically does he say?

I would say he is full of the idealistic fervor of youth, but he actually sounds just like his grandmother (my mom), so maybe it will stick. He is all in for Bernie, critiques mainstream Democrats (including Obama and especially Hillary) as war-mongering “neolibs”, is quick to rattle off a Zinn-esque bill of particulars describing every atrocity ever committed by the U.S. without acknowledging any nobility in our history or principles, etc., etc.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Since (unlike me) my critics cannot seem to ever manage to cough up even a grudging mea culpa, I will take their lack of response as such. You are granted absolution — now go forth and sin no more.
I don't need absolution. I've been not feeding the troll because I'm convinced that's what you are.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:15 AM
Suspended

Whatever you need to tell yourself to get through the night.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
The only non-Mad Max, non-Lethal Weapon movie of his I’ve seen is “What Women Want”. (I was not impressed.)

I would say he is full of the idealistic fervor of youth, but he actually sounds just like his grandmother (my mom), so maybe it will stick. He is all in for Bernie, critiques mainstream Democrats (including Obama and especially Hillary) as war-mongering “neolibs”, is quick to rattle off a Zinn-esque bill of particulars describing every atrocity ever committed by the U.S. without acknowledging any nobility in our history or principles, etc., etc.
I asked the question in the context of discussions on race and, if I may say it, your openly racist views. You said that your son strongly disagrees with your views, which I assume to mean that he disagrees with your views on race; otherwise that remark had no place in this discussion.

So I'll ask it: assuming your son challenges your views on race, how does he challenge them? Whenever you posit that blacks are a standard deviation off from whites and Asians in terms of IQ, what does he say in response? I'm just curious how that discussion goes down.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:36 PM
Suspended

I just remember him tentatively saying one time, “You have to admit, some of the stuff you say sounds kind of racist”. That’s the only time I remember him commenting about that. He is much more voluble, and unscathing, on the topic of the DNC’s “corruption” or Hillary Clinton’s “bloodthirstiness”. (Well, that and anime, music, and Tarantino films.)

Last edited by SlackerInc; 08-09-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:40 AM

In that shitshow of a misogyny thread, a woman made a thoughtful and frustrated post about the state of things. Slacker's response? "Kudos for correctly spelling 'trouper'."

In a thread full of vile comments, I found this the most vile. He ignores the entire content of the post to make a condescending comment. Its purpose is to make sure the woman knows her place, that her value is measure by his approval, and he has the power to grant or withhold it. It's the equivalent of patting the little kid on the head and saying, "my, that's a beautiful drawing, let's put it on the fridge."

Its power is that it's both a personal attack on the poster, and still a message to all the rest of the women on the board: "I still have power over you." The personalized nature of the trolling, in a thread about misogyny no less, is a depth I didn't think even he would sink to. In retrospect, I shouldn't have been surprised.

I'm glad Jimmy Chitwood was able to see it for what is was, and I hope everyone else did too.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
...without acknowledging any nobility in our history or principles, etc., etc.
Are you the Duke or the Dauphin?

Quote:
I just remember him tentatively saying one time, “You have to admit, some of the stuff you say sounds kind of racist”. That’s the only time I remember him commenting about that. He is much more voluble, and unscathing, on the topic of the DNC’s “corruption” or Hillary Clinton’s “bloodthirstiness”. (Well, that and anime, music, and Tarantino films.)
That's an encouraging sign of consideration on your son's part.
His criticism of Clinton and DNC corruption is unrestrained because he feels no obligation to them.
For you, he chooses to restrain his criticism, perhaps because he wants to think better of you.
Don't let him down.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
In that shitshow of a misogyny thread, a woman made a thoughtful and frustrated post about the state of things. Slacker's response? "Kudos for correctly spelling 'trouper'."

In a thread full of vile comments, I found this the most vile. He ignores the entire content of the post to make a condescending comment.
What I found amusing is that the "trooper" spelling would anyway have been just as valid in that context.
the OED gives these definitions of the colloquial uses:

trooper: A brave or stalwart person.
trouper: A reliable, uncomplaining person; a staunch supporter or colleague.
Both fit. Pedant fail.

Jimmy was right on the money with, "You're 1% as smart as you think you are". Like David Dunning and Justin Kruger took two successive shits in the woods, and then some conceptual artist sculpted that shitpile into some semblance of human form, really.

Last edited by MrDibble; 08-14-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:

In a thread full of vile comments, I found this the most vile. He ignores the entire content of the post to make a condescending comment. Its purpose is to make sure the woman knows her place, that her value is measure by his approval, and he has the power to grant or withhold it. It's the equivalent of patting the little kid on the head and saying, "my, that's a beautiful drawing, let's put it on the fridge."

Its power is that it's both a personal attack on the poster, and still a message to all the rest of the women on the board: "I still have power over you." The personalized nature of the trolling, in a thread about misogyny no less, is a depth I didn't think even he would sink to. In retrospect, I shouldn't have been surprised.

I'm glad Jimmy Chitwood was able to see it for what is was, and I hope everyone else did too.
I hope that Jimmy Chitwood meant he was leaving the thread, not the board.

Pretty soon the membership will consist of Slacker Inc, DrDeth, and UltraVries.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliana View Post
Pretty soon the membership will consist of Slacker Inc, DrDeth, and UltraVries.
Don't forget SamuelA.

They're the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, bringing any thread they shit in to ruin. Having been momentarily like them disgusts me. I hope the mods consider having a talk with them about their general attitude and then putting them on the equivalent of probation because as long as I can remember, they've been toxic little shits. I hope they get better but I wouldn't bet money that way.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
Don't forget SamuelA.
Rounding out the square jerk.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
"He detests the girls for turning tricks, so he's pitting Slacker Lee"?
Old 08-14-2019, 04:46 PM
Suspended

Quote:

That is quite the little narrative you have spun there. You put a lot of thought into it, clearly. I almost wish I had put as much into my comment as you have imputed to me. The truth, unfortunately, is far more prosaic: certain homophonic misspellings are pet peeves of mine, and while I generally restrain myself from correcting people who misspell them, I do appreciate it when others do not. (See also: “restaurateur”, “intact”, “discreet”)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Jimmy was right on the money with, "You're 1% as smart as you think you are".

Oh, Dibble. All you have to work with is reflected glory (your own insults always come across as crude, bitterly angry rants), and you still done fucked it up. That was a truly sick burn in its full form, before you Dibbled it all up: “You're 1% as smart as you think you are, and 0% as interesting.” If that was not itself borrowed from some cutting remark in a movie or TV show, kudos to him as well.

But none for you, Dibbsy, sorry. You just aren’t clever enough. As you’re so fond of drafting off the insights of others, I would suggest you try to live by the words in my “mission statement”, but sadly I don’t think you’re capable of applying the principle in practice: https://twitter.com/slackerinc/statu...321001985?s=21

So I guess just keep on keepin’ on, with your always-on-11 angry fulminatin’. It’s the only gear you’ve got.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 08-14-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:30 PM

Bark bark, little sea lion. Now fuck off.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:16 PM
Suspended

Not very good. Try again.

ETA: It’s “little walrus” to you.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 08-14-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:52 PM

You aren't the target audience, idiot.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:08 PM
Suspended

I suppose that’s a good point. There are a number of dullards ITT who will applaud even a weaksauce attempt like that.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Oh, Dibble.[...]
(Desparate flailing attempt at turnaround elided by me)

That's a whole lot of verbiage from a failed pedant (yeah, I noticed you skipped right over the actual meat of my post, stupid coward)
Old 08-15-2019, 07:28 AM

Too busy posting walls of google search results in the incel thread to defend your pedantry, SlackInBrain?
You had plenty to say earlier.

*Bwuck!*
Old 08-15-2019, 07:32 AM

The weirdest thing about Slacker is not his hateful views (yes, even when tinged with paternalistic "affection", views about inherent racial intellectual inferiority are indeed hateful), but his apparent need for approval and reassurance from progressives that he's not as bad as those like Trump and allies. Again and again we'll criticize him for his hateful views, and again and again he'll talk about how much he likes Obama, Kamala Harris, and supports policies that would benefit black Americans, as if that makes it okay to have such hateful views (hint: it doesn't).
Old 08-15-2019, 07:49 AM

Never trust anybody who needs to tell you how liberal he is.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
The weirdest thing about Slacker is not his hateful views (yes, even when tinged with paternalistic "affection", views about inherent racial intellectual inferiority are indeed hateful), but his apparent need for approval and reassurance
I'm surprised you see a contradiction. A person who needs to believe he's superior to other races, who is also desperate for validation and approval. Bug standard insecurity, really.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:06 PM
Suspended

You think I am seeking approval? Trust me, I am perspicacious enough that if that’s what I was out to do, it would be childishly easy. I would start, obviously, by not articulating controversial or taboo opinions. If it weren’t against the rules, I would make an alternate identity to illustrate.

What I am a stickler for is accuracy. About me, about others.