Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 12-05-2018, 04:36 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,455
I've been saying elsewhere that I was sure the Apple store thing was just cover for what they wanted to do anyways, and it seems I was right. If it was about the child porn bots, they could have just used anti-bot tactics.

And the stuff being blocked by the bots is worse than I imagined. People who talk about toys?

My question is whether the "SJW" side of Tumblr will be willing to back their statements with action, and back away from the platform. They keep saying that there's nothing else, so I worry they will reluctantly stay, even Tumblr continues to try and become "family friendly."

At least use adblockers, so that the one reason they want users won't work. Why the hell give them money?
  #52  
Old 12-05-2018, 07:25 PM
clairobscur is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paris
Posts: 17,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Very interesting article. So, it's about ads (by the way I'm really wondering why a company wouldn't want its adds to be seen besides adult content. It doesn't really make sense), it was planed and they have grand expectations of massive increase of the number of users. And hope among other things that they'll find ways to monetize social activists.

Something else that bothers me is that I met my long distance gf on tumblr, and several years of our common online history will disappear (she doesn't mind, she doesn't tend to stick to the past, but it really annoys me).

I noticed references to the new blogging platform pillowfort. Does anybody know more about them?
__________________
S'en vai la memoria, e tornara pu.
  #53  
Old 12-05-2018, 07:33 PM
clairobscur is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paris
Posts: 17,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I've been saying elsewhere that I was sure the Apple store thing was just cover for what they wanted to do anyways, and it seems I was right. If it was about the child porn bots, they could have just used anti-bot tactics.

And the stuff being blocked by the bots is worse than I imagined. People who talk about toys?
I assume it's things like "my little pony" fans, nothing sinister. Wait...I realize you meant the opposite of what I thought. I'm absolutely not surprised that bots are blocking all sorts of completely innocuous stuff, they're quite famous for that.

And there's no reference to "child porn bots" (who would build a child porn bot and why? It's not like you can advertise for your child porn website), only porn bots (of which there were plenty, even though Tumblr seemed able to relatively quickly delete their accounts).
__________________
S'en vai la memoria, e tornara pu.
  #54  
Old 12-05-2018, 08:33 PM
Melbourne is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
I read a story about this last week that said that they had temporarily disabled the searchability of adult-content blogs while they figured out a technical solution to a very specific and serious problem. The problem: they had too much underage stuff getting by whatever filters they had in place. Sounds like they gave up on finding a technical solution.
Tumblr is owned by Verizon. The technical problem the are having is Congress, which is getting some heat about big companies like AOL/Yahoo/Tumblr and Google/YouTube or Facebook snooping on you, owning you, and selling you.

The solution they have come up with to this technical problem is virtue signaling. These are good companies that care about morals and certainly don't need regulation of their core business.
  #55  
Old 12-05-2018, 11:58 PM
foolsguinea is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 15,820
I'd rather have the enormous archive of porn and less snooping, if we're looking for a "virtuous" company. This is, in effect, someone locking up part of a public library and confiscating part of it.

And yes, I have been on Tumblr for years, and yes, there is creepy stuff on there. But they're going way beyond "creepy stuff" in what they say they're refusing to publish.
  #56  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:05 AM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
And there's no reference to "child porn bots" (who would build a child porn bot and why? It's not like you can advertise for your child porn website), only porn bots (of which there were plenty, even though Tumblr seemed able to relatively quickly delete their accounts).
My understanding was that a lot of bot porn was underage. And I have definitely heard of sites in other countries that allow this sort of thing to go unchecked--usually Russia is the one that is mentioned, but also some small, poorer countries.

I don't think it would be hard to shut down a child porn ring. Just start at the reported child porn, and read all the metadata: who visits it, who has reblogged, liked, commented, etc. Allow it to spider if you find any child porn on these other accounts. The only way I can envision it being difficult is if they can easily put their content back up on another account.
  #57  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:08 PM
Brayne Ded is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Render View Post
Wasn't there some kind of blackmail emails going round a while ago with passwords and threats of revealing pron browsing?
Yes. First I got one that looked threatening, carefully worded, reference to a keystroke logger and quoting my throwaway password. But it did not state exactly which sites I had visited. I ignored it, nothing has happened. Since I have good AV software and a VPN, I figured I was reasonably safe.

Then came a flood of identical blackmail emails, worded very generally. Those I just deleted on the spot. No more came after a week. Now it is back to "Grab 16,000 woodworking plans", 50 times over.
  #58  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:32 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,832
Am I the only one who sees that thread title and misreads it as Trump can eat a gigantic bag of popcorn-sized dicks?

Only me? Okay, just checking.
  #59  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:53 PM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,461
Speaking of things Tumblr sucks at: their backup app. It fucking sucks. It has been running for three days with no visible progress.
  #60  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:44 PM
sps49sd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 454
Ads seem to be where a lot of online entities fail.

NoScript, AdBlock, and such were a reaction, not to ads, but the intrusive ads that would pop under your browser window and use your speakers, pop over the content you were trying to view and make you click it away, play a video you could not stop, and hidden spots where a click would send you somewhere you didn't want to go. Advertisers tried too hard.

Trying to scoop up user data to see what they like isn't much of a help. I might like left handed blivets, but I don't like videos telling me about blivets I can buy when I'm trying to find out what is the Peanuts theme music. The content of the ads isn't the problem, it's the presentation.

Make it like a magazine ad- place it between paragraphs. If I'm interested I will read it, if not I skip past.

~

4chan was mentioned. Christpher Poole could never make money from the site, but he did diligently create a means to fight CP. His successor is trying to split 4chan into NSFW porn ad boards and business friendly 4channel. It sounds like a good idea, it may work.

My point is money and law is driving some foolish changes by those who don't understand what they are doing and what they have. These people don't understand, but they want to make money. Somehow.

Now I'm going to think up an online (or not) school to teach execs about internet stuff.
  #61  
Old 12-07-2018, 11:23 PM
foolsguinea is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 15,820
You know who did really nice online ads, that I have actually clicked on repeatedly?
Project Wonderful.
They shut down this last summer.
  #62  
Old 12-12-2018, 12:22 AM
Measure for Measure's Avatar
Measure for Measure is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,165
Verizon takes a huge writedown on its creepily named Oath brand, the one that runs yahoo, HuffPo, tumblr et al. Goes from $4.8 billion to $200 million. That's their estimate of the value of the future profit stream. Wholly crap.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1072592235408048128

tumblr alone supposed had 555 million monthly visitors in Jan 2016.
  #63  
Old 12-12-2018, 03:56 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,461
...Holy shit. That's a 96% markdown. That's insane.
  #64  
Old 12-12-2018, 07:22 AM
Machine Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 12,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Normally I wouldn't plug a porn actress...
I see what you did there.
  #65  
Old 12-12-2018, 08:00 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I mean, Tumblr doesn't even use real names.
Neither does Facebook, despite claiming they do. People that I want to find my not-real-name in FB have zero problem finding it; neither did ever anybody to whom I gave my skype name or my ICQ number. OTOH, people trying to find my actual real name on Facebook can't: Facebook naming policies do not accept my real name as being a valid name.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.
  #66  
Old 12-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Eonwe's Avatar
Eonwe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Burlington VT
Posts: 8,595
With an appreciation and understanding that 'virtual communities' are real communities and this loss is real, I have a few . . . less-than-sympathetic responses.


-If there is really a commercially viable sex industry that depends on some kind of online platform, why doesn't someone go build it? Tumblr doesn't want the revenue, but someone else does, surely.

-Any community that depends on a single, for-profit company (particularly one whose mission is not aligned with that of the community) should know that its days are numbered.

-The Tumblr corner of the sex-worker industry was made possible by certain features/policies at Tumblr. They've changed. Conditions, resources, and needs change in industries all the time. I'm not sure how this is any different. The advent of Tumblr was a change. So is the demise of Tumblr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
"Another day, another reminder that people dont give a shit if sex workers live or die. And we’re not just going to magically stop existing when we run out of places to turn online. more and more of us are going to be pushed back onto the streets and more and more of us are going to die. "
. . . sorry, but I don't get this. Sex work is a choice, not a requirement. Industries change all the time. Continuing to run a business in an unsafe environment is a choice. If you believe that Tumblr's porn ban is literally going to kill you, then I suggest, frankly, that you have deeper personal issues to work out. If I thought my career was a literal death sentence, I'd change careers. People change careers all the time. It's not always fun, but we do it.

I feel like a lot of the discussion and feelings around sex work conflates career choices with unchangeable-identity in a way that makes it impossible for people to get proper perspective on the options open to them.

Are we talking about the future of an industry? Of a community?

Sex work should be safe work, but if there are those who feel they have no choice but to continue working in unsafe conditions, then we should explore the economic/sociological issues that keep those people trapped in a self-destructive line of work. (note, I'm not saying to focus on one and ignore the other. Let's make sex work safe, and make sure that people are not in the industry (or any other industry, frankly) because they have no other choice).

Last edited by Eonwe; 12-12-2018 at 09:48 AM.
  #67  
Old 12-12-2018, 10:10 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
With an appreciation and understanding that 'virtual communities' are real communities and this loss is real, I have a few . . . less-than-sympathetic responses.


-If there is really a commercially viable sex industry that depends on some kind of online platform, why doesn't someone go build it? Tumblr doesn't want the revenue, but someone else does, surely.
Various people are going and building it. Cumblr, BDSMlr, Sharesome, et cetera. The problem with each of those sites (other than their newness and the fact that they haven't quite gotten the kinks out yet - I still can't upload any of my audio or multi-picture posts to BDSMlr) is that they're explicitly porn-focused. Whereas Tumblr is not. And that's actually a really important distinction.

The culture surrounding porn and sex work on Tumblr emerged organically, in a field largely built by and for women. It humanized content creators in a way that's simply impossible on sites like Pornhub, because you got to know them as people. It's not just porn, it's their personal blog, to talk about whatever they want whenever they want, to intermingle with people who aren't just there for porn, and to treat porn as just part of life, rather than this distinct "other" thing that needs to be permanently separated from all things pure and normal. Hell, my blog is half sexy stuff, half rationalist/social justice ranting. Y'think anyone on Pornhub is interested in Sasha Grey's thoughts on dehumanization in pornography, or Asa Akira's hilarious tweets? They're just there to get their rocks off in an environment designed by and for cishet men who want to masturbate.

The closest thing to that currently is Reddit, but Reddit really isn't a blogging platform, so... eh.

Quote:
-Any community that depends on a single, for-profit company (particularly one whose mission is not aligned with that of the community) should know that its days are numbered.
That's "any community on any website". Like, y'know, us. Case in point. And I suppose if the dope were to suddenly die, we'd all up roots, and there'd be some discussion about where we would all go. But we're small enough and we have an actual leadership structure to the point where we don't have coordination problems figuring out where to go, and you could in theory just throw up a MyBB board on a shared web host and have that work. This does not extrapolate well. There is a lot of communities like that. The fact that, at any time, say, WotC could crumble and pull the rug out from under the competitive Magic: The Gathering community wouldn't make it any less of a piss-take if Hasbro suddenly decided to shutter them, and people would have every right to be pissed off.

Quote:
-The Tumblr corner of the sex-worker industry was made possible by certain features/policies at Tumblr. They've changed. Conditions, resources, and needs change in industries all the time. I'm not sure how this is any different. The advent of Tumblr was a change. So is the demise of Tumblr.
It's a change, sure. A really lousy change that's hard to adapt to and will take time, energy, coordination, and often money.

Quote:
. . . sorry, but I don't get this. Sex work is a choice, not a requirement. Industries change all the time. Continuing to run a business in an unsafe environment is a choice. If you believe that Tumblr's porn ban is literally going to kill you, then I suggest, frankly, that you have deeper personal issues to work out. If I thought my career was a literal death sentence, I'd change careers. People change careers all the time. It's not always fun, but we do it.

I feel like a lot of the discussion and feelings around sex work conflates career choices with unchangeable-identity in a way that makes it impossible for people to get proper perspective on the options open to them.

Are we talking about the future of an industry? Of a community?
This is a very fair critique, IMHO.
  #68  
Old 12-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Measure for Measure's Avatar
Measure for Measure is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,165
Here is a compilation of posts tagged as pr)n by tumblr's algorithm. SFW
https://twitter.com/aidosaur/status/1070325925085089792

Here are a list of alleged alternatives to Tumblr. Found online: I'm not familiar with all of them.

DeviantArt (though I understand they have content restrictions. I.e. they are about artwork, not photography, AFAIK)
Minds
Pillowfort
Pornhub (discussed above)
sharesome

Over at 4chan, they are moving their SFW stuff to 4channel.org. That seems like a reasonable way of doing things.

As for the ad-dollar issue, I wish Flashblock was up and running. I don't mind static ads without obnoxious ad copy.
  #69  
Old 12-13-2018, 01:22 AM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
. . . sorry, but I don't get this. Sex work is a choice, not a requirement. Industries change all the time. Continuing to run a business in an unsafe environment is a choice. If you believe that Tumblr's porn ban is literally going to kill you, then I suggest, frankly, that you have deeper personal issues to work out. If I thought my career was a literal death sentence, I'd change careers. People change careers all the time. It's not always fun, but we do it.
You seem to be making some rather incorrect assumptions.

The people who we talk about losing their lives are people who can't do other kinds of work, or at least can't make enough money to get by on other types of work. They found a safe place to do business online that allows them to have a life without the need of having a pimp or being out on the street.

We're talking people who are disabled, who have mental disorders, who have physical disorders, and other such that makes the stereotypical workday impossible. We're not talking about the people who have skills to do other jobs but prefer sex work.

Additionally, even if we aren't talking about those people, the idea that it's hard but possible to simply up and change careers is just out of touch. If that were the case, we wouldn't have the working class problem that we have. Why would coal workers want to keep on working at failing coal plants if they could afford to get trained in another job? That's the argument you are making: that people can just up and choose.

In fact, most of your post sounds like right wing logic. You assume that capitalism just works. That, when there is a hole in the market, the guiding hand will come in and fill it in. But reality is far more messy than that. It doesn't always happen, and, when it does, it's at a higher systemic level, not at the individual or group level.

You neglect the facts on the ground. For example, why do you think Verizon would think that they need to have Tumblr be work-safe? Because all the online companies that allow you to make money are trending in that direction. Advertisers are becoming more squeamish about NSFW content, because they want to avoid controversy. Patreon has been not allowing NSFW content. Paypal has been pulling funding from places. YouTube is demonetizing NSFW and controversial content.

There is no inherent reason that any of them will decide "I want to take a gamble and be the one who still supports NSFW stuff." There's no guarantee that any company will come in and fill the gap, due to the huge startup costs causing so much inertia. Even if it eventually does happen, a lot of people will hurt in the mean time.

You also neglect the big push of traditional media companies to undermine online companies because they can't seem to shift into online content and do as well. It's a classic problem with capitalism: the old guards struggle to hold on as long as they can, taking out others with them. Sure, eventually it tends to work out, but again, a lot of people hurt in the mean time.

And then there's just how you analyze everything as having to do with money. Apparently having an LGBT, sex positive community only has value if it makes companies money. Why in the world should that be? Sometimes capitalism screws society over, hurting what it actually needs because it is only interested in profit. There are tons of very helpful things that should exist, but capitalism keeps away--including your issue with people who don't want to do sex work being able to not do sex work: capitalism doesn't necessarily give them an option.

That said, the destruction of a community can actually harm business. Even if other sites pick up the slack, you've lost a built-in audience. The community--the network of people-- are now split up. Tumblr kept them all connected together. Sure, new connections will eventually form, but, again, that doesn't help people in the meantime, or those who don't ever recover.

I think all that's left is about why we treat sex workers as a class. That's easy: because they are discriminated against. Even you presume that being a sex worker when it is not your ideal job is worse than all other jobs. The majority of people have jobs that they would rather not have--why is sex work different?

Sex workers face a societal taboo that is unwarranted, created by the prudery of society that was historically fueled by misogyny. Based on your post, you'll probably hate this word, but it's entirely applicable: sexual taboos exist because of the patriarchy, of keeping women in their place. The reason we shame women who have sex outside of marriage is to keep them under control.

There are enough similarities that the fact that some sex workers choose to be in the industry is overwhelmed by the problems these groups share with other discriminated groups. If you want to get technical, it's actually a form of classism.

I know my post is long and not really planned out. But I hope you will read it and understand why there is such a reason for sympathy in this case, and why this seems like such a huge wrong that will only harm the companies involved for making it. None of your reasons to withhold sympathy really hold up to scrutiny.

And don't forget that non-porn related Tumblr is being attacked too, since the whole thing is automated. That's what has the possibility of taking Tumblr down completely. But then there's a huge amount of inertia for any new company to take it's place. The whole thing is a catch 22 with social networks: no one wants to join unless there are people already there. That's what happens when the social aspect is the product.
  #70  
Old 12-13-2018, 05:05 PM
Malleus, Incus, Stapes! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle ear
Posts: 6,446
My brother says the porn bots are cleverly getting around the censor bots... by tagging their entries with "sfw".
  #71  
Old 12-13-2018, 05:27 PM
AngelSoft's Avatar
AngelSoft is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland of the NW
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
Here is a compilation of posts tagged as pr)n by tumblr's algorithm. SFW
https://twitter.com/aidosaur/status/1070325925085089792

Here are a list of alleged alternatives to Tumblr. Found online: I'm not familiar with all of them.

DeviantArt (though I understand they have content restrictions. I.e. they are about artwork, not photography, AFAIK)
Minds
Pillowfort
Pornhub (discussed above)
sharesome

Over at 4chan, they are moving their SFW stuff to 4channel.org. That seems like a reasonable way of doing things.

As for the ad-dollar issue, I wish Flashblock was up and running. I don't mind static ads without obnoxious ad copy.

Deviantart is, sadly, not at all the same. Tumblr was perfect for me (and others I assume), in that I could go there with the confidence that I wouldn't be completely lambasted by porn I had no desire to see. I chose who I followed and chose what I got exposed to. I could find all sorts of media based around my interests, and if some of that media included NSFW material, then that was my choice and I knew to expect that. Deviantart, you can NOT get away from it. Even with the mature filter on, you still get absolutely drowned in fetish porn that doesn't count as 'real porn'. Go look at the 'top deviations' with the mature filter on and see how long you go before you see foot fetish or fat fetish or some sort of MLP fetish art just right there in the middle of it all. I don't want to see that shit and I have no way to filter it out.

I LIKE Tumblr's layout. I LIKE the feed. I LIKE seeing thoughts and memes and random shit from people who have the same interests as me. And I LIKE knowing that if I happen across something NSFW on my feed it's going to be something I LIKE. No other site has given me that freedom. As as been said before Tumblr feels SAFE. I don't feel like I'm tiptoeing through some cishet male jerk off site, just to try and find something that interests me (NSFW or not).

I've looked at other sites, me and everyone I know/follow on Tumblr have. None of them give us what Tumblr has. And that's what we're upset about. People are leaving in droves and we're going to lose touch with the people and communities we've grown close to. Ugh, I'm basically rambling at this point and I'm not even sure I've made any sense but I'm really upset about this. Even more so cause I know it's inevitable and nothing can be done about it.
  #72  
Old 12-13-2018, 07:18 PM
Measure for Measure's Avatar
Measure for Measure is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSoft View Post
I LIKE Tumblr's layout. I LIKE the feed. I LIKE seeing thoughts and memes and random shit from people who have the same interests as me. And I LIKE knowing that if I happen across something NSFW on my feed it's going to be something I LIKE. No other site has given me that freedom. As as been said before Tumblr feels SAFE. I don't feel like I'm tiptoeing through some cishet male jerk off site, just to try and find something that interests me (NSFW or not).
Closest thing I can think of is twitter. Which is different.


So... if I understand this correctly some like to only see the NSFW stuff that appeals to them, and not NSFW stuff that doesn't. That seems fairly typical as a preference IMHO. But, correct me if I'm wrong, lots of people also like to see a mix of SFW and a little NSFW stuff in their feed, provided the latter is the sort of thing they are comfortable with.

Am I correct on this?
  #73  
Old 12-14-2018, 05:41 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSoft View Post
Deviantart is, sadly, not at all the same. Tumblr was perfect for me (and others I assume), in that I could go there with the confidence that I wouldn't be completely lambasted by porn I had no desire to see. I chose who I followed and chose what I got exposed to. I could find all sorts of media based around my interests, and if some of that media included NSFW material, then that was my choice and I knew to expect that. Deviantart, you can NOT get away from it. Even with the mature filter on, you still get absolutely drowned in fetish porn that doesn't count as 'real porn'. Go look at the 'top deviations' with the mature filter on and see how long you go before you see foot fetish or fat fetish or some sort of MLP fetish art just right there in the middle of it all. I don't want to see that shit and I have no way to filter it out.

I LIKE Tumblr's layout. I LIKE the feed. I LIKE seeing thoughts and memes and random shit from people who have the same interests as me. And I LIKE knowing that if I happen across something NSFW on my feed it's going to be something I LIKE. No other site has given me that freedom. As as been said before Tumblr feels SAFE. I don't feel like I'm tiptoeing through some cishet male jerk off site, just to try and find something that interests me (NSFW or not).

I've looked at other sites, me and everyone I know/follow on Tumblr have. None of them give us what Tumblr has. And that's what we're upset about. People are leaving in droves and we're going to lose touch with the people and communities we've grown close to. Ugh, I'm basically rambling at this point and I'm not even sure I've made any sense but I'm really upset about this. Even more so cause I know it's inevitable and nothing can be done about it.
You say it better than I could.
  #74  
Old 12-14-2018, 09:08 AM
AngelSoft's Avatar
AngelSoft is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland of the NW
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
Closest thing I can think of is twitter. Which is different.


So... if I understand this correctly some like to only see the NSFW stuff that appeals to them, and not NSFW stuff that doesn't. That seems fairly typical as a preference IMHO. But, correct me if I'm wrong, lots of people also like to see a mix of SFW and a little NSFW stuff in their feed, provided the latter is the sort of thing they are comfortable with.

Am I correct on this?
Yeah I'd say in a nutshell yeah. I mean, at least for me. I'm sure there's people who enjoy Tumblr for different reasons but I feel like that's a good representation for a lot of the users. And this is even more so true for people who are parts of fandoms, which I really think is what drives a lot of Tumblr. For me, scrolling through my feed, and seeing a random bit of slash art involving characters I love from whatever fandom is really enjoyable. It's like a pleasant surprise lol Albeit one that I need to be careful of at work!

I don't know if there will be anything to replace Tumblr. I know a lot of people are talking Twitter as being the closest thing but I've never really been able to get into it. And honestly, how long until it clamps down on this stuff? I'm getting really frustrated with the 'purification' of the internet. Because usually the sites that suffer are sites that cater to LGBTQ or women's interests. Sites like pornhub aren't ever going anywhere, which is fine, but at the same time.....those kinds of sites are in vast majority geared towards male desires/tastes. There's much less out there for people like me.

There is SOME hope for the new site pillowfort, as I've heard that name floating around but....there's also some concerns about security given recent happenings. And right now they're basically only pay to play, since they're in development still. So basically, at this point we just can watch as the Tumblr that grew because users like us helped it grow is slowly phased out for Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.
  #75  
Old 12-14-2018, 04:34 PM
clairobscur is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paris
Posts: 17,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post

Here are a list of alleged alternatives to Tumblr. Found online: I'm not familiar with all of them.

DeviantArt (though I understand they have content restrictions. I.e. they are about artwork, not photography, AFAIK)
Minds
Pillowfort
Pornhub (discussed above)
sharesome
I don't know Minds nor sharesome. Pornhub as far as I know is only a MindGeek porn provider. I don't think there are any kind of personnalisation or interaction going on there. Deviantart is entirely different. People do interact, but they don't, say, talk about their day, share their feelings, pontificate about the proper way of living your kink life or whatever. It's extremely centered about artistic creation and that's pretty much the only thing people talk about. And by the way, there are lots of photographers there. In fact, a significant part of the photo content posted on Tumblr was stolen from DeviantArt, even though DeviantArt is on the overall much tamer than Tumblr was (for photography, I mean. For other kind of arts, it's another matter entirely).

I registered on and visited Pillowfort. Its layout is very similar to Tumblr, and the general concept too. However, it's by comparison extremely small. There are currently about 25 000 registered users. I looked into both the "BDSM" and "art" "communities" and they have some hundred members each. It's not even remotely the same scale.

I also registered on and visited BDSMlr. The layout is essentially a copy/paste of Tumblr, and the content seems rather similar to what you'd find on Tumblr BDSM pages. However, as already pointed out, it's all about not just NSFW content, but specifically BDSM content. It could satisfy people like me, and many people I interacted with who were pretty much solely interested in this aspect, but it's obviously much more limitative. People who are mostly interested in raising chickens with a bit of NSFW content on the side will be out of luck.

In any case, I'm not so much bothered by not finding the same kind of content at this point, I might even completely give up the whole NSFW blog thing, and if I don't Pillowfort or BDSMlr would probably both be good enough for me. I'm mostly pissed at all the existing content that will disappear and ties that will be severed.
__________________
S'en vai la memoria, e tornara pu.
  #76  
Old 12-14-2018, 04:50 PM
clairobscur is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paris
Posts: 17,885
Having checked Sharesome their "about" says :

Quote:
Sharesome is an adult social platform that helps you connect with your favourite performers. Better yet, think of us as a community where your kinks are finally free to run wild. Here at Sharesome we try to create an environment where you are welcomed no matter what your fantasies are, allowing you to create a free account and check out your favorite pornstars' private world or, who knows, even become one.

So, this is apparently a platform specifically for sex workers and their customers, not similar to Tumblr. On top of which I noticed a very strange and unexpected requirement in their "terms and conditions" :

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharesome
You are either single or separated from your spouse or domestic partner.
The reason why escapes me.
__________________
S'en vai la memoria, e tornara pu.
  #77  
Old 12-15-2018, 11:00 AM
Drunky Smurf's Avatar
Drunky Smurf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Smurf Village.
Posts: 11,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
You seem to be making some rather incorrect assumptions.

The people who we talk about losing their lives are people who can't do other kinds of work, or at least can't make enough money to get by on other types of work. They found a safe place to do business online that allows them to have a life without the need of having a pimp or being out on the street.

We're talking people who are disabled, who have mental disorders, who have physical disorders, and other such that makes the stereotypical workday impossible. We're not talking about the people who have skills to do other jobs but prefer sex work.

Additionally, even if we aren't talking about those people, the idea that it's hard but possible to simply up and change careers is just out of touch. If that were the case, we wouldn't have the working class problem that we have. Why would coal workers want to keep on working at failing coal plants if they could afford to get trained in another job? That's the argument you are making: that people can just up and choose.

In fact, most of your post sounds like right wing logic. You assume that capitalism just works. That, when there is a hole in the market, the guiding hand will come in and fill it in. But reality is far more messy than that. It doesn't always happen, and, when it does, it's at a higher systemic level, not at the individual or group level.

You neglect the facts on the ground. For example, why do you think Verizon would think that they need to have Tumblr be work-safe? Because all the online companies that allow you to make money are trending in that direction. Advertisers are becoming more squeamish about NSFW content, because they want to avoid controversy. Patreon has been not allowing NSFW content. Paypal has been pulling funding from places. YouTube is demonetizing NSFW and controversial content.

There is no inherent reason that any of them will decide "I want to take a gamble and be the one who still supports NSFW stuff." There's no guarantee that any company will come in and fill the gap, due to the huge startup costs causing so much inertia. Even if it eventually does happen, a lot of people will hurt in the mean time.

You also neglect the big push of traditional media companies to undermine online companies because they can't seem to shift into online content and do as well. It's a classic problem with capitalism: the old guards struggle to hold on as long as they can, taking out others with them. Sure, eventually it tends to work out, but again, a lot of people hurt in the mean time.

And then there's just how you analyze everything as having to do with money. Apparently having an LGBT, sex positive community only has value if it makes companies money. Why in the world should that be? Sometimes capitalism screws society over, hurting what it actually needs because it is only interested in profit. There are tons of very helpful things that should exist, but capitalism keeps away--including your issue with people who don't want to do sex work being able to not do sex work: capitalism doesn't necessarily give them an option.

That said, the destruction of a community can actually harm business. Even if other sites pick up the slack, you've lost a built-in audience. The community--the network of people-- are now split up. Tumblr kept them all connected together. Sure, new connections will eventually form, but, again, that doesn't help people in the meantime, or those who don't ever recover.

I think all that's left is about why we treat sex workers as a class. That's easy: because they are discriminated against. Even you presume that being a sex worker when it is not your ideal job is worse than all other jobs. The majority of people have jobs that they would rather not have--why is sex work different?

Sex workers face a societal taboo that is unwarranted, created by the prudery of society that was historically fueled by misogyny. Based on your post, you'll probably hate this word, but it's entirely applicable: sexual taboos exist because of the patriarchy, of keeping women in their place. The reason we shame women who have sex outside of marriage is to keep them under control.

There are enough similarities that the fact that some sex workers choose to be in the industry is overwhelmed by the problems these groups share with other discriminated groups. If you want to get technical, it's actually a form of classism.

I know my post is long and not really planned out. But I hope you will read it and understand why there is such a reason for sympathy in this case, and why this seems like such a huge wrong that will only harm the companies involved for making it. None of your reasons to withhold sympathy really hold up to scrutiny.

And don't forget that non-porn related Tumblr is being attacked too, since the whole thing is automated. That's what has the possibility of taking Tumblr down completely. But then there's a huge amount of inertia for any new company to take it's place. The whole thing is a catch 22 with social networks: no one wants to join unless there are people already there. That's what happens when the social aspect is the product.
As a Rabbi I can say that this bit of preachiness makes you look like a putz.
  #78  
Old 12-15-2018, 11:13 AM
PastTense is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,597
Here is a list of NSFW Tumblr alternatives, both social networks and porn alternatives:
https://tumbling-on.org/
  #79  
Old 12-15-2018, 02:14 PM
clairobscur is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paris
Posts: 17,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
As a Rabbi I can say that this bit of preachiness makes you look like a putz.
Well, for once, I'd agree with pretty much everything BigT wrote, wrt both capitalism and sex workers.
__________________
S'en vai la memoria, e tornara pu.

Last edited by clairobscur; 12-15-2018 at 02:15 PM.
  #80  
Old 12-15-2018, 02:29 PM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
As a Rabbi I can say that this bit of preachiness makes you look like a putz.
Wait, you're a Rabbi?

...

...Have you met Blalron?
  #81  
Old 12-17-2018, 02:23 PM
AngelSoft's Avatar
AngelSoft is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland of the NW
Posts: 1,838
So my Tumblr feed today is pretty much dead. I normally get about 5-10 new posts an hour on it. It's now noon-ish here and I haven't had any new posts since like 8am. It just makes me so sad because I feel like something that was an honest to god bright point in my day has been taken away
  #82  
Old 12-17-2018, 02:45 PM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSoft View Post
So my Tumblr feed today is pretty much dead. I normally get about 5-10 new posts an hour on it. It's now noon-ish here and I haven't had any new posts since like 8am. It just makes me so sad because I feel like something that was an honest to god bright point in my day has been taken away
Amen to that. I canceled my advents calendar because I just cannot find a damn platform for it.
  #83  
Old 12-17-2018, 03:15 PM
Inner Stickler's Avatar
Inner Stickler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 15,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSoft View Post
So my Tumblr feed today is pretty much dead. I normally get about 5-10 new posts an hour on it. It's now noon-ish here and I haven't had any new posts since like 8am. It just makes me so sad because I feel like something that was an honest to god bright point in my day has been taken away
Are you sure it's not just the tumblr 'boycott'?
  #84  
Old 12-17-2018, 03:31 PM
AngelSoft's Avatar
AngelSoft is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland of the NW
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Are you sure it's not just the tumblr 'boycott'?
Huh....maybe it is? I better stop going to Tumblr today then lol For all the good it will do. There's no way they're going to change their minds. This is just a way for people to feel like they're doing something.
  #85  
Old 12-17-2018, 06:27 PM
clairobscur is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paris
Posts: 17,885
This boycott for a day makes no sense. Hardly anybody will follow it, and even it were the case, it's not going to change the decision-makers' mind. They know already that a large number of people are unhappy and are willing to eat the corresponding loss of income.

Besides, they made the adult blogs difficult to even access, and impossible to watch normally. Including blogs that were following their new rules (like blogs with only written erotica). So even those who maybe intended to stay will most probably leave (unless they delete everything "adult" and switch to SFW mode, but it seems unlikely to me that someone writing erotica will switch to posting lolcats instead), so there's no point in boycotting "for a day", Tumblr's admins have already essentially written off permanently all these people. It's even more drastic than announced.

This boycott is equivalent to state that you will work-to-rule in protest after you've been told that you were fired.
__________________
S'en vai la memoria, e tornara pu.
  #86  
Old 12-18-2018, 01:20 AM
Alessan's Avatar
Alessan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 24,508
Sigh.

All that porn lost... like tears... in the rain.
  #87  
Old 12-18-2018, 08:01 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11,302
Those aren't tears!
  #88  
Old 12-18-2018, 08:53 AM
Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSoft View Post
So my Tumblr feed today is pretty much dead. I normally get about 5-10 new posts an hour on it. It's now noon-ish here and I haven't had any new posts since like 8am. It just makes me so sad because I feel like something that was an honest to god bright point in my day has been taken away
Maybe they should rename it Tumblweedr.
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #89  
Old 12-18-2018, 09:45 AM
Eonwe's Avatar
Eonwe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Burlington VT
Posts: 8,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
The people who we talk about losing their lives are people who can't do other kinds of work, or at least can't make enough money to get by on other types of work. They found a safe place to do business online that allows them to have a life without the need of having a pimp or being out on the street.

We're talking people who are disabled, who have mental disorders, who have physical disorders, and other such that makes the stereotypical workday impossible. We're not talking about the people who have skills to do other jobs but prefer sex work.
My point is that if there are people who are truly into sex work because it's the only way they can live, and without Tumblr they will all end up selling sex unsafely on the street as the only viable option, then the problem (and burden of solving it) isn't with Tumblr, or the internet platform du jour.

And, as a consumer, I find the morality of porn consumption or prostitution extra troubling if, in fact, the people producing it are only doing so because they have mental health issues that prevent them from paying bills in any other way, and who don't actually prefer this line of work. Where's the consent there?

I don't see how one can argue both that sex work is being done by

Quote:
Either sex work is a business
Additionally, even if we aren't talking about those people, the idea that it's hard but possible to simply up and change careers is just out of touch. If that were the case, we wouldn't have the working class problem that we have. Why would coal workers want to keep on working at failing coal plants if they could afford to get trained in another job? That's the argument you are making: that people can just up and choose.

In fact, most of your post sounds like right wing logic. You assume that capitalism just works. That, when there is a hole in the market, the guiding hand will come in and fill it in. But reality is far more messy than that. It doesn't always happen, and, when it does, it's at a higher systemic level, not at the individual or group level.
Not at all. I almost made the coal analogy in my first post, but not in the way you seem to think. Being mad at Tumblr is analogous to wanting to prop up the coal industry because those people/families/communities have no where else to go. It's true that the demise of coal is a huge burden to some, but then our responsibility is to help those people transition, or to create systems that make those sorts of transitions less traumatic. I'm saying that it's not the coal factory's fault that the industry shifted. Tumblr is not responsible for maintaining a sex market place.

Quote:
You neglect the facts on the ground. For example, why do you think Verizon would think that they need to have Tumblr be work-safe? Because all the online companies that allow you to make money are trending in that direction. Advertisers are becoming more squeamish about NSFW content, because they want to avoid controversy. Patreon has been not allowing NSFW content. Paypal has been pulling funding from places. YouTube is demonetizing NSFW and controversial content.

There is no inherent reason that any of them will decide "I want to take a gamble and be the one who still supports NSFW stuff." There's no guarantee that any company will come in and fill the gap, due to the huge startup costs causing so much inertia. Even if it eventually does happen, a lot of people will hurt in the mean time.

You also neglect the big push of traditional media companies to undermine online companies because they can't seem to shift into online content and do as well. It's a classic problem with capitalism: the old guards struggle to hold on as long as they can, taking out others with them. Sure, eventually it tends to work out, but again, a lot of people hurt in the mean time.

Quote:
And then there's just how you analyze everything as having to do with money. Apparently having an LGBT, sex positive community only has value if it makes companies money. Why in the world should that be? Sometimes capitalism screws society over, hurting what it actually needs because it is only interested in profit. There are tons of very helpful things that should exist, but capitalism keeps away--including your issue with people who don't want to do sex work being able to not do sex work: capitalism doesn't necessarily give them an option.
I'm not sure what your point is, or what you think I'm neglecting. Of course capitalism screws society/people over some times. That's my point! Tumblr is not a non-profit. It's not mission-driven, it's profit-driven. Expecting Tumblr to prioritize sex workers as stakeholders in the company's direction makes no sense.

And you need to get a little perspective here; you're reading my post in the most negative light possible. I am not saying that "having an LGBT, sex positive community only has value if it makes companies money." I am saying that having an LGBT, sex positive community only has value to a company if it makes that company money.

Quote:
That said, the destruction of a community can actually harm business. Even if other sites pick up the slack, you've lost a built-in audience. The community--the network of people-- are now split up. Tumblr kept them all connected together. Sure, new connections will eventually form, but, again, that doesn't help people in the meantime, or those who don't ever recover.
I don't dispute this at all.

Quote:
I think all that's left is about why we treat sex workers as a class. That's easy: because they are discriminated against. Even you presume that being a sex worker when it is not your ideal job is worse than all other jobs. The majority of people have jobs that they would rather not have--why is sex work different?
Why is sex different than a handshake?

I don't think you can have it both ways. Up above you claim that this is not just work that people would rather not have, but is in fact the one and only way people can keep a roof over their heads. We've decided that sex requires a kind of consent that other behaviors do not. If people are selling sex because they will be homeless otherwise, then I question whether it's a morally viable business in the first place. How am I supposed to buy sex morally from someone who has a mental disorder and is only selling sex as a last resort?

Quote:
Based on your post, you'll probably hate this word, but it's entirely applicable: sexual taboos exist because of the patriarchy, of keeping women in their place. The reason we shame women who have sex outside of marriage is to keep them under control.
Screw you. I spend scads of time on this board and IRL explaining what the patriarchy is and means, and how it creeps up in even the most unexpected places. I don't need you to mansplain the patriarchy, thankyouverymuch.

I'm not sure why you needed to turn this into a personal fight, or assume I am "anti-sex work". Sexual taboos are often harmful. We experience them in the context of the patriarchy. Sex shaming is bad, umkay? I'm doing none of those things. I am merely pointing out that regardless of your industry, if your survival depends on a 3rd party that has no stated obligation to your industry/business, then you should not be surprised when that 3rd party changes in ways that make your business unviable, and you probably should have planned for that, or at least expected that this paradigm was only temporary.

It's awful for the community on Tumblr that they're losing their community. But new ones will form. Other communities already exist. There is nothing vital about Tumblr that cannot be replicated.
  #90  
Old 05-03-2019, 07:17 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,053
PornHub looks to buy Tumblr after traffic drops by 50% within months of the decision:

https://twitter.com/wesyang/status/1...656197638?s=19

Last edited by JohnT; 05-03-2019 at 07:17 AM.
  #91  
Old 05-03-2019, 07:28 AM
Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,266
Just when I thought I was out, they jerk me back in.
  #92  
Old 05-03-2019, 07:58 AM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,105
I bet The Invisible Hand would be a good porn movie.
  #93  
Old 05-03-2019, 08:06 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,053
+1
  #94  
Old 05-03-2019, 08:08 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
PornHub looks to buy Tumblr after traffic drops by 50% within months of the decision:

https://twitter.com/wesyang/status/1...656197638?s=19
Firstly: anyone surprised by that kind of drop was not paying attention, nice fucking going verizon.

Secondly: this is really good news.
  #95  
Old 05-03-2019, 05:08 PM
JRDelirious is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Displaced
Posts: 15,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Firstly: anyone surprised by that kind of drop was not paying attention

Yeah, really. Then again, maybe we still have to see what is their brilliant strategy going forward.
  #96  
Old 05-03-2019, 06:00 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
I'm not sure why you needed to turn this into a personal fight, or assume I am "anti-sex work". Sexual taboos are often harmful. We experience them in the context of the patriarchy. Sex shaming is bad, umkay? I'm doing none of those things. I am merely pointing out that regardless of your industry, if your survival depends on a 3rd party that has no stated obligation to your industry/business, then you should not be surprised when that 3rd party changes in ways that make your business unviable, and you probably should have planned for that, or at least expected that this paradigm was only temporary.
Fuck it, I'm going to respond to this nonsense, even though this is old, because I just saw it.

I didn't make it personal. YOU DID. You are trying to hide behind verbosity. But the fact remain that you decided to attack the victims in this situation, blaming them for the immoral actions of another. And guess who is one of those victims? THE OP. So you made it personal by attacking the OP.

You can say all you want to that you support sex work. BUT YOU CONTINUE TREATING IT LIKE A NEGATIVE THING. You say that the mentally ill should not have to do it. But if you were pro-sex work, it would be like any other job.

And, in that, you attack ME. It is well known that I am mentally ill, and that I cannot hold down a regular job. I would do this same fucking sex work, except that I don't think I could make money at it since I'm not attractive. Since I'm not sex negative, I DON'T SEE THAT AS A PROBLEM.

You clearly have a subconscious belief that sex work is inferior. You can say you support sex work, but that's like someone saying they aren't racist, but then keep on slipping in racist bullshit. The position you have taken is anti-sex-work, and magic words don't change that.

You also keep pushing weird right-wing bullshit about businesses. People who don't run their businesses deserve to lose. That's the "free hand of the market," pro-capitalist bullshit. You do not get to use capitalism as a way of blaming the victim.

Finally, fuck off saying I'm mansplaining. You have female experiences that I don't. It would be mansplaining for me to tell you about that. But a male feminist disagreeing with you does not make it mansplaining.

If you don't want me to respond to you like you're an asshole, then don't be one. Don't be that guy who comes into threads where people are upset and tell them that it's really all their fault. Fuck you for that.
  #97  
Old 05-03-2019, 08:34 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,022
Looking at the latest news, this thread had one of the most prophetic titles ever..
  #98  
Old 08-12-2019, 06:53 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
Verizon takes a huge writedown on its creepily named Oath brand, the one that runs yahoo, HuffPo, tumblr et al. Goes from $4.8 billion to $200 million. That's their estimate of the value of the future profit stream. Wholly crap.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1072592235408048128

tumblr alone supposed had 555 million monthly visitors in Jan 2016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
...Holy shit. That's a 96% markdown. That's insane.
Tumblr sold to Wordpress for...


.... wait for it ...



... wait for it ...



... no, really, you're not going to believe it ....



"well under" $10 million, with the author of this piece trying to second-source a cite of "less than $3 million".

Last edited by JohnT; 08-12-2019 at 06:54 PM.
  #99  
Old 08-13-2019, 01:22 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,461
Holy fucking shit.

I guess that's what happens when you stick your dick in a website for shitty, stupid reasons.
  #100  
Old 08-13-2019, 06:41 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11,302
You are kind of asking for such a precipitous drop when you name your site "tumblr." was "plummet" already taken?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017