Old 02-24-2019, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to Canadoper Pub, 2019!

And they stole again!

5-4 - Alberta's back in it!

Last edited by Northern Piper; 02-24-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:23 PM

Steal? I don't think it was a steal?

But yeah, great game.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Stephen Harper is watching the game in Cape Breton?
Old 02-24-2019, 06:43 PM

You were right about the steal. Sorry.

Harper likes curling, and hockey.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Tie!
Old 02-24-2019, 06:54 PM

Wow!
Old 02-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Wow! Steal for two on the tie-breaker end!
Old 02-24-2019, 07:11 PM

Good game!

Congratulations Alberta.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Sorry for your niece, Leaffan, but man, that was a game!
Old 02-24-2019, 07:19 PM

Congratulations Alberta.
Great game! Congratulations.

ETA: Quoted wrong post.

Last edited by Leaffan; 02-24-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Next year in Moose Jaw!
Old 02-25-2019, 08:56 AM

I'm pissed. Measles outbreak in Vancouver is now up to 13. I have a whole rant in the anti vaxx thread in the pit about it but here is the Vancouver Sun article:

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ad-to-edmonton

Usually the measles outbreaks are in the Fraser valley, full of fundamentalist Christians. It is in the city, actually in my neighbourhood (me and mine are immune but that isn't the point. ) And the ER of children's hospital was exposed, more than once!
Old 02-26-2019, 01:44 AM
Charter Member

Anybody else in western Canada fed up with this extended cold snap? Seems like we've had minus-double-digit highs all during February.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

I am. Warmest day so far this month was the 1st, at -11. Average so far is a high of -20 and a low of -30, and there's still nothing approaching seasonal temperatures (-6 or so) in the long range forecast. The only positive is that we're so acclimated that when we get highs in the low teens it actually feels kinda nice out.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

It's been another mild winter but yeah, February has been consistently cold.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:19 AM

BAH, I've had enough of this crap. Bring on the Spring!
Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

So Singh is in, the Tories held York, and the Grits reclaimed Outremont from Tom Mulcair.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:10 AM

I know, people living in Vancouver are not allowed to complain about a few days of cold and snow, but to be fair, I have lived in Thunder Bay, Longlac On, Montreal and Winnipeg, so I know cold miserable weathers. Still, this year has been rough. Between a chaotic work environment, the first year in 11 as a single person, and my seasonal depression hitting me harder than usual this year, I am ready for some warmer weather. At this point, even rain would be welcome.

Still it was nice that driving home after 6 pm on Monday did not mean pitch black. The increasing daylight is something.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

First it was ungodly cold for days, followed by three days of freezing rain. Only to then deliver damaging winds for a couple of days.

Today? 8” of snow on top of iced everything. Walking the dog was a brutal slog.

Ugh.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:27 PM

Could be worse. Fort Erie has been attacked by GIANT WHITE WORMS!
Old 02-27-2019, 05:46 PM

Seriously, though, when the Niagara River gets ice constipation followed by a storm surge, the water has to go somewhere. There have been flood warnings on the Canadian side, flash flood warnings on the American side, and record breaking winds just to add to the problem. Getting flooded out by ice water during a deep freeze is bad. Very, very bad. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the folks living in the flood zone.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:34 PM

Anyone else getting annoyed with this SNC-L shit. Pretty much Pierre Elliot would have told everyone fuddle duddle and thats the way the world works outside Canada. I don't like the idiot, but losing a shit ton of jobs if SNC-L takes a beating is a good enough reason to ignore legal niceties and at worst throw some C level exec into durance vile for a few years. But no, the Drama teacher has to appoint a believer to the AG\Justice slot and takes his first real body blow to the administration, cause rules are rules and no one is above the law. And some people are talking about this chick getting a leadership run, that would be a nightmare. If JT does get a second term, cause now we are in small majority at best territory, his next cabinet is going to get more closely vetted.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

I cannot agree with that assessment. First of all, SNC Lavalin taking a huge hit would not result in a huge net loss of jobs. Any contract they don't get is a contract someone else does get. Those someone elses would need just as many employees to fulfill those contracts. It would be disruptive if SNC dramatically shrank, but it wouldn't really be any big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Second, rule of law is bloody important. Yes, I know there's been political interference in the legal system since time immemorial, but that doesn't mean it should be condoned. I find it rather distressing that you are arguing that a Minister of Justice with integrity is a bad thing.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
I cannot agree with that assessment. First of all, SNC Lavalin taking a huge hit would not result in a huge net loss of jobs. Any contract they don't get is a contract someone else does get. Those someone elses would need just as many employees to fulfill those contracts. It would be disruptive if SNC dramatically shrank, but it wouldn't really be any big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Second, rule of law is bloody important. Yes, I know there's been political interference in the legal system since time immemorial, but that doesn't mean it should be condoned. I find it rather distressing that you are arguing that a Minister of Justice with integrity is a bad thing.

Sorry but in my opinion, at that level the min justice and the AG are politicians first. Otherwise Justice should be like the American model and separate from the administration. Since her sticking her oar into the Boushie affair, I find it hard to use the word integrity and her name in the same sentence, which might be unfair to her, as I don't know if she opined regarding her opinion of the case, or did Trudeau want to be seen and used the Justice minister.

Which for me is the sticking point, its quite possible that yes she would have played ball but did not trust Trudeau to not throw her under the bus if it went pear shaped, if Integrity is a big thing for her, then I would have expected her to resign from the cabinet the minute she was told she was going to Veterans, not after when she realizes that it might be a demotion.

Sorry just rambling
Old 02-27-2019, 09:57 PM

I'm not super convinced that JWR occupies some sort of superior high ground of integrity that automatically qualifies her as the leader in waiting of the LPC...as seems to be vogue right now in the media and comment section ”conversations".

If there is to be a leadership change (which I think is unlikely), I don't want to see anyone who was involved in this fronting as the new face of the LPC.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by tingbudong; 02-27-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
... but losing a shit ton of jobs if SNC-L takes a beating is a good enough reason to ignore legal niceties ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
... Second, rule of law is bloody important ....
Declan, what you are suggesting is counter to the Rule of Law doctrine. Rule of Law demands that you do not "ignore legal niceties." It means that you act in accordance with the published laws, in accordance with unpublished constitutional and professional doctrines that come down to us through centuries; and you do so ethically, without making stuff up as you go along. That's a TLDR summary; entire papers and books have been written and published on the Rule of Law doctrine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Sorry but in my opinion, at that level the min justice and the AG are politicians first ....
No. As a lawyer, JWR is responsible to her profession first. That means adhering to its code of ethics, before and after politics enters the picture. If somebody (politician, lobbyist, ordinary person) asks a lawyer member of the House to do something that would contravene that lawyer's professional ethics, then that member is ethically-bound to deny the request. Rule of Law trumps politics, and it seems to me that today, JWR indicated how she upheld Rule of Law within the context of her professional ethics, at a most difficult time.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Anybody else in western Canada fed up with this extended cold snap? Seems like we've had minus-double-digit highs all during February.
Just watching the news. Looks like this is the coldest February in 83 years, in our little city. Our average high has been -20C in February. The first week of March doesn't look to be much better.

Spring, please come soon!
Old 02-28-2019, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

I posted a link earlier on a company that was penalized for breaking the law. Why should SNC be excused or given dispensations when other companies have already been prosecuted using those laws?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2019, 06:08 AM

The lame part with the SNC scandal is the way it seems so childish at times to me.

"Ha ha, I caught you being a political coward, so it's my turn now!" "No you didn't" "Yes I did" "No you didn't" etc.

It's not like any of our three main political parties has a monopoly on being weasels.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:16 AM

This whole SNC-Lavalin mess is because the company's execs thought it was too big to fail, and politicians felt the same way.

This law that they would not be eligible for federal contracts in Canada because the company bribed Moammar Gadhafi's son just seems weird. Not being eligible because they bribed executives in Montreal to build a hospital would seem more appropriate to me.

In any case, most of the people in the bribery cases have been convicted (save for a few who managed to dodge the bullet thanks to Jordan) and are no longer with the company.

It just seems stupid.

And so what if the company can't compete for federal contracts? When companies can't compete, they break up and the former employees go on to form new companies in the same field. We've just been through all this in Quebec after the Charbonneau Commission!

Although, having Scheer say anyone lacks moral authority the week after he went to a rally with Faith Goldy had me rolling my eyes.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Declan, what you are suggesting is counter to the Rule of Law doctrine. Rule of Law demands that you do not "ignore legal niceties." It means that you act in accordance with the published laws, in accordance with unpublished constitutional and professional doctrines that come down to us through centuries; and you do so ethically, without making stuff up as you go along. That's a TLDR summary; entire papers and books have been written and published on the Rule of Law doctrine.
On reflection, agreed.

Quote:
No. As a lawyer, JWR is responsible to her profession first. That means adhering to its code of ethics, before and after politics enters the picture. If somebody (politician, lobbyist, ordinary person) asks a lawyer member of the House to do something that would contravene that lawyer's professional ethics, then that member is ethically-bound to deny the request. Rule of Law trumps politics, and it seems to me that today, JWR indicated how she upheld Rule of Law within the context of her professional ethics, at a most difficult time.
Per her testimony, she claims that Trudeau never actually said directly to do something, but simply walked around the edges. If I understood that part of the testimony correctly. Other people inside the PMO's office may have been a bit more direct. I understand both the ethics and the legal responsibilty that you and Gorsnak have stated quite clearly. If I as usual have badly worded my response, its because I believe that the AG has the power to do what is right in the interests of the country, be it a criminal trial or that deferred option.

If I also understood her testimony, she was not the one that actually brought the criminal charges, she just was not going to over rule the crown that did bring about or is about to bring about charges.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Virtuecrats Heh. Not heard that term before.

Re. Barbarian: Agreed. So, SNC can't bid on federal contracts. There are many competent companies that don't break Canadian laws that can, so net job loss should be zero. Of course, the Liberal party's concern isn't that jobs will be lost it is that money won't be flowing to the Liberal party. One of the reasons they don't see what SNC did as an issue is baksheesh is their modus operandi.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

A message from Environment Canada.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Ah yes. An oldie, but a goodie.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
Virtuecrats Heh. Not heard that term before.

Re. Barbarian: Agreed. So, SNC can't bid on federal contracts. There are many competent companies that don't break Canadian laws that can, so net job loss should be zero. Of course, the Liberal party's concern isn't that jobs will be lost it is that money won't be flowing to the Liberal party. One of the reasons they don't see what SNC did as an issue is baksheesh is their modus operandi.
This is a remarkably persistent issue in politics; the Visible Job versus the Invisible Job.

There are many companies in Canada that do what SNC Lavalin does. If SNC went belly up tomorrow, the net loss in jobs would be immeasurably tiny, if it existed at all. Other companies would simply take on the work and hire away the employees. Shit has to get built, and there's lots of companies who will build it for you. However, SNC Lavalin is famous; people know who they are. Their jobs are visible. Bigwigs know who they are. If SNC fails, the government will be raked over the coals for what they let happen to poor, poor SNC and all the jobs they had. The fact all the jobs were picked up by J-CON, Davis-Moreau and Bronte Construction isn't noticed because those are not famous companies, and in fact I bet not a single person reading this knows which two of those names are real and which I literally made up just now.

A similarly absurd dance happens when the government is asked to bail out companies (General Motors) give them loans that will never be paid back (Bombardier) or subsidize them indirectly (all professional sports teams.) Much is said about the jobs jobs jobs they bring, but the problem is that the opportunity cost of the money thrown at them must logically be the economic productivity that money would have spurred in other, more worthy businesses.

Last edited by RickJay; 03-17-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:29 AM

It's always fun to watch the Junos and go "Hey, I know that guy! I met him at a party"
(In this particular case it was one of the performers, Tyler Shaw, who was on immediately after Corey Hart got the lifetime achievement award)
Old 04-25-2019, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

I hope none of our eastern Dopers is in trouble because of the flooding?
Old 04-26-2019, 12:07 AM

Not me, but it's quite pervasive here. We had a very snowy and cold winter. Once things started melting the ground was still frozen, and then we had a lot of rain.
More rain coming this weekend.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

Stay safe, Leaffan!
Old 04-26-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Evacuation in the Rouge valley complete. Now waiting to see if the Bell Dam breaks in a thousand year flood.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...tion-1.5111947
Old 04-26-2019, 07:28 PM

Yeah, it's pretty bad here.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:01 PM

Yep expected to be 50cm over 2017 levels. I’m nowhere near river level but it’ll be bad. I expect Dunrobin to get hit again.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Yep expected to be 50cm over 2017 levels. Iím nowhere near river level but itíll be bad. I expect Dunrobin to get hit again.
And Constance Bay.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:06 PM

Well, they just dedicated the entire 6:00 PM Monday local Ottawa CTV newscast to the flooding in this area, and it's not supposed to peak till Wednesday or Thursday.

Last edited by Leaffan; 04-29-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:32 PM

Yep. My kids’ high school just sent out emails to look for volunteers to fill sandbags tomorrow to ship out to the local sites.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:39 PM

>10,000 sandbags! Here's hoping the boy's exhausted.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
>10,000 sandbags! Here's hoping the boy's exhausted.
Good for them!
Old 05-02-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

What's the name for a fund-raising party for a wedding couple in the Thunder Bay Area?

Has come up in lunch conversation and we can't remember.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:23 PM

Buck and Doe?
Old 05-02-2019, 01:37 PM

'Round these parts it's stag and doe, but I'm guessing most people call it that.

Muffin or Mona Lisa Simpson might know.