Old 05-21-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Being reported that Reuben Foster will miss the entire 2019 season with a torn ACL. The Skins are cursed.

https://thefandc.radio.com/reuben-fo...nding-acl-tear
Foster is injury prone, and it wasn't a secret when they picked him off the waiver wire. Curses are generally unexpected.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
In fact, word is that she make more than he does!
Gisele BŁndchen - Net Worth $400 million
Tom Brady - Net Worth $180 million

Neither is anything to sneeze at, and a few million dollars per year on a contract is pretty meaningless at that wealth.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Foster is injury prone, and it wasn't a secret when they picked him off the waiver wire. Curses are generally unexpected.
Itís pretty rare for someone to get a season ending injury on the very first series in OTAs. And, thatís after the Skins had to take the publicity hit from picking up Foster. But, oh well, even with Foster, theyíre still an 8-8 team.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
WTF? Are the Redskins secretly competing against Tonya Harding? Why do they keep getting their legs mangled?!
They have a chance to sign Yoenis Cespedes.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Gisele BŁndchen - Net Worth $400 million
Tom Brady - Net Worth $180 million
Numbers that I will, in almost all likelihood, never be able to relate to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Neither is anything to sneeze at, and a few million dollars per year on a contract is pretty meaningless at that wealth.
Agreed. In my opinion MORE pro team sport athletes should be willing to "spread the wealth" a bit with regards to their team. The fact that so many of them instead greedily go after every single dollar that they can get is something else that I can't really relate to.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
Agreed. In my opinion MORE pro team sport athletes should be willing to "spread the wealth" a bit with regards to their team. The fact that so many of them instead greedily go after every single dollar that they can get is something else that I can't really relate to.
There's nothing greedy about being a professional wanting to be paid in a manner relative to others at your position. That's what professionals do at all levels, including me. I'm not a pro football player but if I'm being underpaid at an IT position I look elsewhere.

On the other hand, I think that it might make better financial sense not to demand the biggest contract. I think it depends on the situation.

Let's say you're the starting QB for a team that is able to win consistently because you are willing to accept a lesser contract than someone else at your position and with your level of success. You do so because that allows your team to spend more on receivers for you to throw to, offensive linemen to protect you, running backs to hand off to, a defense to keep the other team from scoring, better special teams, etc. As your team gets more wins, you get more fame, and you can get better endorsement deals. The additional money you make from better endorsements could, in theory, net you more money than the contract would have.

Of course the problem with that theory is that I don't know if there's an objective way to quantify it. How could you really know how much more money you're making now compared to if you weren't winning as much? How do you know for certain that tossing money at players is going to guarantee more wins? (The NFL is full of expensive busts after all.) It's risky; you're trading real money for theoretical money.

Anyway, I don't blame any NFL player for trying to get as much out a contract as possible, especially given that the average career in the NFL is less than 4 years. A smart and responsible person gets as much as he can in that tight window, especially since you have no idea when you might get hurt, get cut, miss a step, etc. Criticizing a person for that is childish.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There's nothing greedy about being a professional wanting to be paid in a manner relative to others at your position.
That's true at the top level of any profession - but at some point, with far fewer figures than Brady gets, it isn't about lifestyle or security, but just about keeping score, in a private sport where the "competitors" get bragging rights over each other based on salary, for whatever value they put on bragging rights. The money just loses all other meaning at that level.

Brady is an exception - his psychotically-intense competitiveness focuses on winning more than money, and his example helps set the tone for the entire clubhouse. Compare him to, say, Peyton Manning, who always went for the money at contract time and whose contracts limited the Colts' ability to surround him with enough talent to win with any consistency. But he made more money than Brady, give him that.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
That's true at the top level of any profession - but at some point, with far fewer figures than Brady gets, it isn't about lifestyle or security, but just about keeping score, in a private sport where the "competitors" get bragging rights over each other based on salary, for whatever value they put on bragging rights. The money just loses all other meaning at that level.

Brady is an exception - his psychotically-intense competitiveness focuses on winning more than money, and his example helps set the tone for the entire clubhouse. Compare him to, say, Peyton Manning, who always went for the money at contract time and whose contracts limited the Colts' ability to surround him with enough talent to win with any consistency. But he made more money than Brady, give him that.
That. {and I don't appreciate - in the least - being referred to as "childish" for criticizing players for that. I prefer to think of it as having different priorities than simply wanting the most money of anybody around. Which I think is a good thing}
Old 05-22-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

It's more complicated than that though. If players take less, it relieves pressure on the owners and the collective bargaining agreement to pay more salary overall. While in the short term you may be "spreading the wealth" to your teammates. In the long term you're allowing the owners to keep a larger slice of the pie. It's not the players causing the inequity, it's the system.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
It's more complicated than that though. If players take less, it relieves pressure on the owners and the collective bargaining agreement to pay more salary overall. While in the short term you may be "spreading the wealth" to your teammates. In the long term you're allowing the owners to keep a larger slice of the pie. It's not the players causing the inequity, it's the system.
I was under the impression that under the current CBA, NFL teams were required to pay a certain percentage (95%?) of the salary cap to players. The "owners slice" is therefore pretty set and if one player takes a smaller percentage of the cap, NFL team owners still have to make up the difference to other players. Not that I dont think there is likely a ton of wiggle room, but my vague recollection is that yes, less money spent on one player means more money to other players from the pool owners are required to pay.

Last edited by Hamlet; 05-22-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Plus, the salary cap is pretty well set by the league's TV contracts. There is very little room for the owners or the players to negotiate it.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I was under the impression that under the current CBA, NFL teams were required to pay a certain percentage (95%?) of the salary cap to players. The "owners slice" is therefore pretty set and if one player takes a smaller percentage of the cap, NFL team owners still have to make up the difference to other players. Not that I dont think there is likely a ton of wiggle room, but my vague recollection is that yes, less money spent on one player means more money to other players from the pool owners are required to pay.
It's 89% per team, 95% league wide averaged over a 4 year span.

I was speaking more broadly, to the "in any profession" qualifier, where the CBA is different and where there may be a soft cap or no cap and sometimes no floor. But even in the NFL, that margin is not insignificant. The Patriots have had around $5M in unspent money each of the last 5 years, $11M in 2016.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
I was speaking more broadly, to the "in any profession" qualifier, where the CBA is different and where there may be a soft cap or no cap and sometimes no floor.
In a thread about the NFL, quoting a post discussing the NFL, you weren't speaking about the NFL. Got it.

Last edited by Hamlet; 05-23-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
In a thread about the NFL, quoting a post discussing the NFL, you weren't speaking about the NFL. Got it.
Somebody piss in your cornflakes?
Old 05-23-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
In a thread about the NFL, quoting a post discussing the NFL, you weren't speaking about the NFL.
...at this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, located entirely in your kitchen?
Old 06-18-2019, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

He Hate Me, of XFL fame, is missing.

ProFootballTalk: Former Panthers RB Rod Smart missing, police ask for help
Old 06-19-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
He Hate Me, of XFL fame, is missing.

ProFootballTalk: Former Panthers RB Rod Smart missing, police ask for help
You can sleep easy, he was found safe.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...afe-police-say
Old 06-24-2019, 12:14 PM

Dan Snyder gets a win from the Supreme Court, indirectly.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/24/polit...ent/index.html
Old 07-22-2019, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Wow, Seahawks DT Jarran Reed gets a 6 game suspension over a 2 year old domestic abuse allegation with no charges ever filed. This seems extreme.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Wow, Seahawks DT Jarran Reed gets a 6 game suspension over a 2 year old domestic abuse allegation with no charges ever filed. This seems extreme.
And Tyreek Hill got nothing...
Old 07-22-2019, 05:43 PM

Roger Goodell has a big Wheel of Punishments he spins to determine these things. They should show it live on ESPN and make a few bucks from it.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 07-22-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:53 PM

There’s got to be a reason. So far I’ve seen no details about what he supposedly did, or what evidence/injuries resulted.

I’m a lifelong Hawks fan and I just saw the NFL pull the rug out of what was the biggest gap in the team already. Reed was the only star they had on a badly depleted defensive line. It’s tempting to call the NFL capricious and favoring a popular team like the Chiefs over a team often dismissed like Seattle. But I’m waiting to hear details before flying off the handle.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
It’s tempting to call the NFL capricious and favoring a popular team like the Chiefs over a team often dismissed like Seattle.
And by the Chiefs being "popular" you mean the 31st team out of 32 in fanbase size, right? (The Seahawks are 15th.)

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/...m-report-2019/

Last edited by It's Not Rocket Surgery!; 07-22-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Not Rocket Surgery! View Post
And by the Chiefs being "popular" you mean the 31st team out of 32 in fanbase size, right? (The Seahawks are 15th.)

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/...m-report-2019/
Mahomes was the MVP last year.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Roger Goodell has a big Wheel of Punishments he spins to determine these things. They should show it live on ESPN and make a few bucks from it.
From my brief reading, it seems simply a matter of proof. In Reed's case the NFLhad the victim's statement, the statements of 3rd party witnesses, and some physical corroboration. They had the 57 page police investigation, and, although charges weren't filed, it seems pretty clear he did it. In Hill's case, the DA refused to share investigative materials with the NFL, any accuser stopped talking, and the DA came out and said they couldnt prove who broke the child's arm. That happens when two liars lie repeatedly. I think Hill is a very fast, very mean piece of human waste who preys on those weaker than him and knows how to get away with it. But I couldnt prove it with the evidence available. I think we could in Reed's case. And that's the difference.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
From my brief reading, it seems simply a matter of proof. In Reed's case the NFLhad the victim's statement, the statements of 3rd party witnesses, and some physical corroboration. They had the 57 page police investigation, and, although charges weren't filed, it seems pretty clear he did it. In Hill's case, the DA refused to share investigative materials with the NFL, any accuser stopped talking, and the DA came out and said they couldnt prove who broke the child's arm. That happens when two liars lie repeatedly. I think Hill is a very fast, very mean piece of human waste who preys on those weaker than him and knows how to get away with it. But I couldnt prove it with the evidence available. I think we could in Reed's case. And that's the difference.
Now this is a fair reason for the uneven treatment of the cases, and why I held off before ranting. Of course Iím still not happy about what this might mean for the team I support, but if thereís overwhelming evidence he did it, the suspension is warranted.

Hill clearly got away with something awful and is a scumbag, but just because one guy got away with it that doesnít mean another guy should.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Thereís got to be a reason. So far Iíve seen no details about what he supposedly did, or what evidence/injuries resulted.

Iím a lifelong Hawks fan and I just saw the NFL pull the rug out of what was the biggest gap in the team already. Reed was the only star they had on a badly depleted defensive line. Itís tempting to call the NFL capricious and favoring a popular team like the Chiefs over a team often dismissed like Seattle. But Iím waiting to hear details before flying off the handle.
I see that you've gotten off your homerbox* since this post, but did you really, honestly think that Goodell - or anyone else at NFL HQ - looked at these cases and said, "Well, we could suspend Hill for a year buuuuuuut Mahomes was the MVP, so we'd better go light" or "Reed is only on the Seahawks and no one really likes them much, so go ahead and throw the book at him"?

Really? Deep in your heart, seriously?

*Kinda like a soapbox, but for sports homers.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFacts View Post
I see that you've gotten off your homerbox* since this post, but did you really, honestly think that Goodell - or anyone else at NFL HQ - looked at these cases and said, "Well, we could suspend Hill for a year buuuuuuut Mahomes was the MVP, so we'd better go light" or "Reed is only on the Seahawks and no one really likes them much, so go ahead and throw the book at him"?

Really? Deep in your heart, seriously?

*Kinda like a soapbox, but for sports homers.
In all honesty I have no doubt that discussions like that are routine. Itís an entertainment business, what makes you think they wouldnít be? Theyíd be idiots if they didnít consider such things when making decisions.

Hell, the only reason they have a conduct policy to begin with is for the NFLís image. Thatís not even speculation, theyíre pretty open about it. The NFLís job is not to punish players for breaking the law or otherwise being bad members of society, thatís the job of law enforcement and the courts. Their job is to protect their brand and make money.

Iím not saying that popular teams and popular/well-known players always get a pass. Itís easy to prove that false. Look at Bradyís suspension a couple years ago. But youíre crazy if you think thatís never a consideration.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
From my brief reading, it seems simply a matter of proof.
So? Goodell has proven himself to be willing to manufacture and misrepresent proof to avoid personal embarrassment. It has even worked on some people.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
In all honesty I have no doubt that discussions like that are routine. Itís an entertainment business, what makes you think they wouldnít be? Theyíd be idiots if they didnít consider such things when making decisions.

Hell, the only reason they have a conduct policy to begin with is for the NFLís image. Thatís not even speculation, theyíre pretty open about it. The NFLís job is not to punish players for breaking the law or otherwise being bad members of society, thatís the job of law enforcement and the courts. Their job is to protect their brand and make money.

Iím not saying that popular teams and popular/well-known players always get a pass. Itís easy to prove that false. Look at Bradyís suspension a couple years ago. But youíre crazy if you think thatís never a consideration.
Sorry, friend, but I'm not the crazy one here. If you want to make an argument that individual players might get treated differently depending on their personal star power, I'd be willing to listen. But the idea that players on certain teams get better/worse treatment based on the "popularity" of their team is ludicrous. Who determines which teams are the popular ones? How is it determined? You've already dismissed size of fanbase as a criteria. T-shirt sales? Come on, get real.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
So? Goodell has proven himself to be willing to manufacture and misrepresent proof to avoid personal embarrassment. It has even worked on some people.
You really should see about getting an appointment at Orchids of Asia. Might relax you.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

The Washington Redskins have signed Donald Penn to a one year deal as Trent Williams continues his holdout.

Good move, in my opinion. I assume Williams will eventually report but this gives the Skins some depth.