Old 03-29-2019, 07:43 AM

Today I dropped off a guy two blocks short of his destination because he said, "let me out here, that motherf**ker owes me money." He ran up on some dude and I skedaddled.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:45 AM

I was called to a bar - Miller's Ale House - and the manager put a drunk dude in my car, with his home address entered in. Guy kept saying he was alright, he was alright, he couldn't go home because he and his wife are fighting and he just had to clear his head and he didn't know what to do but please don't take him home.

I took him to Whole Foods, he said he was gonna sit in their cafe and sober up. Uber calculated the drive to his house and paid me that (it was only two miles) despite literally driving him across a parking lot.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:46 AM

I just tried to drive Lyft. Never again.

I went to 7-11 to start my day like always - grabbed a Big Gulp and sat outside, and opened the app. I looked for Pandora inside the app, like Uber has. There is no Pandora integration... so I downloaded and installed Pandora (I only use it on my work computer and through Uber), logged in and got it going. I then find out that Pandora hijacks the USB connection on a 2015 Civic. So I have to learn to control Pandora through the car's interface. Annoying, but not a deal breaker yet, because Lyft is supposed to be SO much better for drivers - higher rates and tips (tips are coming to Uber this month)!

So I leave Pandora running and go online in the Lyft app. It takes a full ten minutes to get a hit, and I do. I tapped to accept. It did nothing. I tapped to accept again. It did nothing. I tapped to accept a third time and the app crashed immediately. Restarted app, ride was still available, I tapped to accept and it worked. Yay! It said "Nav Starting in 3 Seconds." I'm like... cool, cool, it'll navigate me there just like Uber does. It didn't. It opened Google Maps (which I hate) and switched fully to that app. So I was driving with Google Maps, so it didn't show me the person's name or address or side of street anymore like Uber does. Okay, this is getting super annoying.

I arrive at the person's house, and switch back to the Lyft app from Google Maps, after ending my trip on Google Maps (it didn't register properly). I tapped to accept my rider. It didn't work. I tapped again. It worked. Then it said wait two minutes for more Lyft Line riders - wtf? I don't think more people are getting in at this house. I go to try to cancel that, and don't remember if time ran out or if I somehow canceled that because I was pretty pissed off at this point. It then launched Google Maps and I said "alright, says we'll have you there in 27 minutes." She was like "??? I'm going to Main Street in Hackensack!" I said, "That's, at most, five minutes away." It handed the wrong address off to Google Maps and was taking me to Main Street in some other town, I checked and saw that she had it right in the Lyft app (it was showing correctly in the Lyft app). I just said to her, "This is my first Lyft ride ever, I also drive Uber and I'm never driving Lyft again, the app is terrible and I apologize. I'll just take you to Main Street - I know exactly where you're going - with no charge, don't even sweat it." She was super appreciative and wished she had money to tip me but didn't. I was fine with that... I deleted the Lyft app at a light on the way to Hackensack and will never re-install it. When I got to her location in Hackensack and dropped her off, I opened Uber and had a rider in surge pricing in two seconds and drove him to the airport and called it a day.

I did one Uber drive and went home, I was only driving for a bit today to test out Lyft and learned all I needed to learn. I wanted to love Lyft because it's more money for me and supposedly more socially conscious, but I just can't stand to drive with Lyft.

Back to Uber on Wednesday.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:49 AM

I had to pick up two pilots at Teterboro Airport today, and I had to use the plane's tail number to get through security. It was the strangest thing.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:51 AM

Today I did six rides.

The only one of note is the elderly lady who was a little confused as to who I was (daughter sent her an Uber from the grocery store to home). I had to say I was a friend of her daughter and that she sent me to get her. Also, she asked if we could make a few stops on the way home and I had to say "I'm sorry, Stephanie said bring you right home." If tipping were active, I'd have gotten one there.

Oh! One other rider... I get to their location - the Lexus dealership. Wait a full minute. Text them. Another minute. Call them. No response. I cancel and get the $3.75 fee. As I'm a minute away, I get called by the same name to the same address (I thought the system prevented that??), and call him right away and say "I just tried to pick you up before - where actually are you? You put in the Lexus dealership." "Oh, we're like three blocks from there... let me edit it in the app." WTF? You drop the little pin where you are, how do you mess that up so badly? Ended up being a $15 fare plus the $3.75 so whatever.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:53 AM

Uber tonight, I picked up a lady three apartment buildings from mine. She put her five-year-old in the car, buckled him in, then went back inside. She came back with a 32” TV (no stand, cables, or remotes) and placed it in the trunk like it was perfectly normal.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:54 AM

So, I dropped a lady off at the mall yesterday, and a guy tried to climb into my car as he pointed at the placard saying "Uber! Uber! I go to IKEA!" I was like... "You have to call for an Uber via the app. We may match and we may not. Call for Uber with the app." I usually stalk the mall for fares, and one popped up two minutes later from his location, figured it was him, and it was. I took him and his wife three minutes across the freeway because they couldn't figure out how to drive from the mall to IKEA - they tried twice and failed. He took a bottle of water, complained I didn't have the right charger for his phone, and I made a whopping $3.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:55 AM

Gave my first one-star rating: Picked up a lady in a ritzy neighborhood where everyone I've ever picked up has been a complete pain in the ass. Uber sends me to 22 XYZ street, I wait two minutes and see nobody, so I message her. "Oh, I'm at 44 XYZ street." So I head over there. She stands outside my car, arguing on the phone for three minutes before getting in. I say "It says we're taking you to MetLife Arena?" and she grumbles yes. It says 32 minutes away, I tell her that, then she gets back on her phone to argue with someone else. She then changes the destination to her friend's house. Friend, I guess, calls, and they argue some more, she changes it back to MetLife Arena. Then she decides to look up from her furious texting every once in awhile and contradict the GPS. I listen to the passenger, of course, because I get paid either way... But our original 32 minutes is almost up and we're only about 2/3 of the way there. With 15 minutes remaining, she gets a phone call every two minutes asking where she is, and she keeps lying and saying Uber says they're five minutes away. Here's the real fun part: She wants to go to Entrance G, but passenger drop-off is at Entrance E. She had the nerve to ask me if I was going to pay $30 for parking to put her at her preferred gate so she didn't have to walk. Couldn't be happier to have her out of my car, 57 minutes into our 32 minute ride.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:57 AM

Today, in Uber: Always pay extra for uberX over uberPool. I picked up an uberPool rider for a 20 minute ride. Due to him choosing uberPool, we were together for over an hour as six other riders cycled through my car. Always pay the extra couple of bucks, unless you wanna meet strangers and waste your time.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:59 AM

The other day I picked up this dude Vikas at a mini mart on River Road. He sat in the front which was annoying. Then he told me the place he put in the app was closed so he needed to go elsewhere. I asked him to update it in the app and he couldn't figure out how. I asked him how far from his stated location the right location was. It was two blocks so I dropped him off there anyway.

Just now Vikas at a mini mart on River Road popped up. Then a phone call "hey I just called for a cab but I'm not at the market like it says. I'm at my house." "I remember you, I drove you the other day. Change the location in your app." "I'm where you dropped me off the other day! Just come there." "I can't do that. Change or cancel and do over." He couldn't figure out how, seemingly, as I pulled over and waited two minutes. So I canceled on him and went offline to hide from him. Not the sharpest man.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

We don't have the Uber Pool option in SA. Sounds like you drive in Jersey?
Old 03-29-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Turk View Post
These are old posts, so the tenses might not match. None of them are "today."
Quote:
I just tried to drive Lyft. Never again.

...I was only driving for a bit today to test out Lyft and learned all I needed to learn. I wanted to love Lyft because it's more money for me and supposedly more socially conscious, but I just can't stand to drive with Lyft.

Back to Uber on Wednesday.
If you haven't tried Lyft lately, you might consider trying it again. I have both apps on my phone, and the Lyft app now seems to work even more smoothly than the Uber app.

Quote:
The other day I picked up this dude Vikas at a mini mart on River Road. He sat in the front which was annoying.
Wait, what? I almost always sit in the front. I didn't know I was annoying drivers.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
He sat in the front which was annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
Wait, what? I almost always sit in the front. I didn't know I was annoying drivers.
Yeah, if I were driving a stranger somewhere I'd want them in the back. Can't you lock the passenger front door (assuming you are driving a 4 door) or alternatively keep a duffel bag or something on the front passenger seat?
Old 03-29-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

The Tale of Uber, Catholic Schoolgirl Guilt, and the Ubers of Shame

As the more observant of you may have noticed, I am in San Antonio, TX, a city which translates to Saint Anthony. And as one would expect in a city given a name which is a Spanish derivation of a named saint, San Antonio is very:

1. Catholic
2. Hispanic

Which explains why a city of about 1.7 million people has no fewer than 5 Catholic Universities.

So I picked up Mary one night, a young student of Trinity University who was leaving some apartment complex near UTSA (U Texas, San Antonio, not Catholic). And Mary happened to be my introduction into the world of "Ubers of Shame".

What is an Uber of Shame, you ask? Well, it's just like a walk of shame, only in an Uber. Tends to involve a young woman who hooked up for the night and is feeling some form of regret.. either she didn't intend to hook up, hooked up with the wrong guy, hooked up with the right guy at the wrong time... something. A typical UoS goes like this:

Run to an apartment complex. There's a young couple out there, a woman dressed in her evening clothes and a guy in a t-shirt and boxers. He's hanging all over her, her back is to him as she's just ready to leave. They exchange vague promises to snap each other, then she gets in and stares out the window the entire time while I drive her back to the bar where she left her car.

Mary is just the most extreme example of this.

Get a call, UTSA and 1604, one of the many apartment complexes on Chase Hill Blvd. About 4am, Mary gets in the car - I press "proceed to destination" and we're off, headed to the Trinity University dorms. Now Mary is young.... while 51 has blurred the differences between 18 and 19, I'm 99% sure that Mary is a freshman in school.

Mary is quiet for most of the drive, but getting onto 281 from 410 she begins to talk.

"You look like a nice person."
"Well, four out of five dentists agree, so, yeah."
chuckles. "Can I ask you something?"
"Go ahead."
"Do you think a person is a slut if she sleeps with someone she's not dating?"

Well, that's definitely different than the "what's it like driving for Uber" question I was expecting... this is possibly not just Mary's first Uber of shame, it might be her first casual hookup ever. Like I said... young.

Pause.

Think.

"I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell my daughter: Your sexuality is your own agency. Do with it as you please. Understand, however, that other people are going to judge you and there's nothing you can do about it except decide to use their judgments against yourself... or not. And that is your choice. So, to answer your question, the only opinion which really matters is yours - do you feel like someone who sleeps with someone they're not dating is a slut?"

"I... uh... I never thought of it that way. It's just something I was raised with."

"Well, part of your age is unlearning some the things you've 'known' since childhood, which includes ethical standards we were raised with and taught by our parents and church. And it looks like we're here, so to answer your question before I drop you off: No, I don't think you're a slut if you sleep with someone you're not dating regularly."

Mary thanks me, gets out and walks into her dorm. She doesn't tip.

----

Elisabeth. Elisabeth is one of the few, very few, people I remember picking up multiple times - the spelling of her name and the tattoo on her left arm pretty much told the tale that this was a repeat customer.

Elisabeth was an older woman, mid-30s, anglo.

1. First ride I pick her up at a bar, we start talking about her 3 boys (all with developmental issues), her old man (long gone, but still sending child support), and why she's leaving the bar so early (12:30am is early?). Drop her off at her home.

2. A week later, get a call at 6am. It's Elisabeth. Meeting me in a completely different part of town, she's at the end of the driveway, guitar in hand, looking absolutely wrecked. E had partied hard the previous night, apparently cocaine and sex were involved, but the responsible mother she is, she was making it home in time to wake her kids up and fix their breakfast. We all should be proud of E's devotion!

3. A month later, another early call - Elisabeth again, this time in the east side of town. More of a traditional Uber of Shame because there was a guy with a t-shirt and boxers hanging all over her. A bit different in that there were two guys in tees and boxers saying "Good night, baby."

I haven't run into her since. Hope she's OK.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-29-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Front Seat or Back Seat? That is the question...

Just ask the driver where he prefers you to sit. Front, back, it doesn't matter to me. But it does others.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-29-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post

Elisabeth was an older woman, mid-30s, anglo.
Please tell me this contains a typo. I don't want to live in a world where mid-30s is "older"
Old 03-29-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

"Older than Mary" is the intent behind that sentence.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:

I did, yep.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
If you haven't tried Lyft lately, you might consider trying it again. I have both apps on my phone, and the Lyft app now seems to work even more smoothly than the Uber app.

I'm about to get rid of my coupe and get a sedan, so I may go back to ridesharing. I'll give Lyft another try.

I figure people knew to sit in the back - like a taxi.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
They don't have Pool outside of Jersey?

I don't drive, and for various reasons suspect I will not ever be able to drive. So if I want to go anywhere, I have to take Uber or beg a ride off of someone. Uber is a lifesaver for me.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

I don't know about "outside Jersey", but they don't offer it in San Antonio. Likely because our city council isn't as bought and paid for by taxi companies as they appear to be in the NE.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

The Tale of Uber and the Errant Passenger

As the constant reader of this thread has likely noticed, I tend to work late at night, early in the morning. I do this for three simple reasons:

1. This is the time when it is busiest
2. This is the time when it is most profitable
3. It’s the time when people need Uber the most.

I tend to earn about $25-50/hour from 12pm-6am – there are exceptions on both sides of that range, of course – and it’s because I’m constantly driving, being queued (having a ride assigned to you prior to finishing the current ride) for hours on end, etc.

San Antonio is a very spread-out city – rides of 20, 30 miles are not uncommon – and it is a very young city with 25% of the population being under the age of 19 (by means of comparison, Atlanta is 18%, San Fran is 13%, Chicago 21% (US Census Data)). And, as I mentioned upthread, lots of universities – over 100,000 college students attending 31 higher-education facilities/campuses, 1 of every 17 people in SA is attending college.

SA is also a party city. Let me ask you: Does your town shut down one Friday in April – governments (schools, PO, trash collecting, city services, more) and businesses – so a half-million people can gather downtown to watch a flower parade, a parade which is the culmination of a two-week city-wide block party which hosted events which had, in total, 3 million people attending (SA’s population is 1.7 million, btw)?

What this means… for the Uber driver… is that Thursday nights to Sunday evenings are insane. College kids! Bars! A party culture! A spread-out city! Surges!

So it’s two-whatever in the morning and I’m somehow on the NE side of the city. As expected, I get a call to the Blue Bonnet, a honky-tonk a few miles outside 1604 on 35, not too far from the new IKEA (we’re so proud!).

I get to the Blue Bonnet, a collage of pickup trucks, sequins, and cowboy hats, to gather Tiffani, a 30-something woman with her gaggle of friends all pouring into my car. Tiffani sits in the front passenger side, there are three other women in the back seat, one of whom… the errant passenger… decides to lean against the door and start snoozing (having people fall asleep is common).

I press “proceed to destination” – going to north New Braunfels, about 17 miles away. I confirm with Tiffani who asks

“Would it be possible for you to drop my friends off at their home after you drop me off? Can we do that?”

Of course we can do that. Adding stops or changing the destination to D2 upon arrival at D1 are the two ways to do this. Tiffani tries, but fails, to add a stop to the Uber app and I tell her not to worry, I can take care of it when we stop.

They’re loud. They want the radio turned to Kicks Country, they turn up whatever Alan Jackson song is playing and do the drunk woman sing-along bit for a while. But they calm down, start talking, a pretty normal ride.

We get off the New Braunfels exit and Tiffani starts discussing the drop off plans. Turning around she says, pointing from driver-side to middle to passenger-side, saying

“You’re going to take Angela to her home in Oakmont Downs. Steph… you going home or to David’s?” “David’s”…. “Oooh, you get yourself some, girl! OK, you’re taking Steph to David’s in south New Braunfels and… I don’t know that girl.”

They all turn to Sleeping Beauty.

“I don’t know her.”
“I don’t know who she is either.”
“Huh.” (Tiffani) “I thought she was with one of you. Honey! Hey, honey! Wake up! Steph… shake her.”
“… wha…?”
“Honey? Hey, are you OK?”
“… where am I?”
“Looks like you crawled into the wrong Uber, sugar. Where do you live? What’s your name?”
“Morgan.”

Tiffani went into immediate protector mode. The change in her attitude was palpable.

“OK, Morgan, we’ll get you home safely.” Turns to me. “So, what do we do?”

“Get the address from her, I’ll drop the three of you off, and I’ll keep the ride going until I drop her off. That way you can track her and make sure the car is moving until she gets home. I would also exchange phone numbers so you can text her, if you’re worried about her safety.”

But, yeah… from Morgan’s perspective, she was drunk, in a strange man’s Uber, 30 miles from her home… it is a worrying situation.

Morgan lived near Lackland AFB, on the SW side of the city. There are plenty of honky-tonks there, why she needed to go to one 30 miles away was unknown, but she did. I take Tiffani… then Angela… then Stephanie home. I text Tiffani at each stop, letting her know when each friend left. Then took Morgan home, to her mobile home near Lackland. Texted Tiffani when I dropped her off, closed the ride. 59 miles, 200% surcharge, $141 to me.

I asked Morgan… forgetting this was done… if she wanted Tiffani’s number so she could be reimbursed.

“No, I’m good.” Gets out, walks into her trailer.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Not really long enough for the full story treatment, but Elvis was in my car this weekend. Oddly, Elvis is now a pudgy Hispanic guy in his 20's so it may not be the same guy as the King, but you can't take chances, right?

Anyway, Elvis allowed me to create and fulfill an instant Bucket List item when I exclaimed before he shut the car door upon exiting:

"Elvis has left the Uber."

... a pause, then he mutters

"... dammit."

Last edited by JohnT; 03-31-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:13 PM

So what does it mean for a potential passenger to have a low rating? Can the drivers see this and opt not to accept?
Old 03-31-2019, 06:31 PM

here in la county we have the uber pool but no one uses it im told ……
Old 03-31-2019, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Few passengers have lower than a 4.xx, but I have noticed the lower the score, the more likely it is to have an unpleasant drive.

We can refuse ride requests, but are cautioned not to do it too often. I refuse ride requests because of (a) distance to pick up point, or (b) request is "behind" me while I'm on a freeway. Just don't like turning around and backtracking.

The vast, vast, vast majority of my passengers get a 5. All others get a 1. I'm pretty binary like that - if you irritated me enough to care to change your rating, you're getting a one. Period.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-31-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

The Tale of Uber, the Trump Supporter, and the Knockout Punch

Disclaimer: While it would be easy to discount the following story as a “Lib* trashing a Trump supporter”, I attest that every word is true… well, true to the best my narrative abilities and memory can bring about. I am not adding words or concepts to his quotes. I am not removing things he may have said… like how much he loves his kids… to make him look even worse. If he sounds like the modern liberal cliché of what a white conservative male would sound like, the blame lies with him, not with me. I don’t know what else to tell you.

Also, definition of local usages: “Mexican” = Person from Mexico. “Hispanic” = US Citizen of Hispanic Descent. “Anglo” = White People.

Late at night, Friday, the bars are closed. Heading out of downtown when I get a request: Lyft, behind me. Cancel. Another Lyft request, behind me. Cancel. A third Lyft request, also behind me, but… holy shit! Look at this ride**! ACCEPT! ACCEPT! ACCEPT! ACCEPT!

I pick up two guys, Jorge and Michael (Jorge was the guy who called the ride). Both are mid-30s, Michael is looking a little rough – cuts, bruises on his face. Both have been drinking. The conversation begins, and for the entire ride… which took almost an hour… was like this.

Michael: “Man, I’ve never been hit so hard in my life.”
Jorge: “Dude, just let it go.”
“I can’t. Why should I have to be afraid because I’m a Westerner, that I support Western Civilization?”
“It doesn’t have anything to do with that, man. You were just being obnoxious.”
“What is so obnoxious about wanting somebody to speak English?”
“Dude, this is San Antonio. It’s the biggest city close to Mexico, so you’re going to get a lot of Mexicans mixing with the Hispanics.”
“Man… did you see that guy? He just sucker punched me.”
“Dude… ” (Jorge seemingly has a degree in Dude-Speak) “Dude… he stood in front of you and asked you to repeat what you said, then he hit you.”
“Yeah, and I wasn’t even finished repeating it! Seriously, all I said to him was ‘Hey, ese, you know English is a good language too!’.”
“Look, dude, you can’t be approaching Mexicans with that shit. They aren’t your typical Hispanics that you’re used to…”
“Hell, I can’t even be proud of being a Westerner around them, either! All I wanted them to do was speak a real Western language, not that Spanish crap.”
Me: “Spanish is a Western tongue.”

(Really, I know better. But sometimes I can't help myself.)

“Bullshit.”
“No, it’s part of the family of Romantic languages which are derived from Latin. It is far more close to the classic Western Civilization ideal than English is, which is a mongrel language derived from Norwiegian and Germanic tongues.”
“I think he’s right, dude.”
“The fuck he is!”
Me, into my phone: “OK, Google. ‘Is Spanish a Romance Language?’.”

Google, out loud: “The Romance languages (also sometimes called Romanic languages) are a language family in the Indo-European languages. They started from Vulgar Latin (In the Latin Language, "vulgar" is the word for "common," so "Vulgar Latin" means "Common Latin"). The biggest Romance languages are Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italianand Romanian. They are called "romance languages" because they originate from Latin, the language spoken by the western Roman Empire. Their grammatical inflection system is simplified; especially they have lost most of the complex case structure of classical Latin...”

Me: “Stop.” (I really love voice activation.)

“…. I never been hit so hard in my life. Did you see that?”
“Dude, you were asking for it.”
“The hell I was! All I wanted to know is why he couldn’t speak English if he’s in America!”
“Dude, if that guy was a Mexican, he could’ve been Cartel.”
“So? I ain’t scared.”

(I could hear Jorge’s eyes rolling.)

“You know, what? I’m a Libertarian! I just want to be allowed to do what I want without other people being offended***. What’s wrong with that?”
“Nothing, dude, it’s just you need to remember what’s offensive to you may not be offensive to others, and the other way around.”
“I mean, maybe I was a bit too aggressive. But that didn’t give the guy the right to punch me. Man, I’ve never been hit so hard in my life! One second I was standing there, the next second I was on the ground, you asking me if I was OK.”
“Yeah, dude, got to say – you picked the wrong fight.”
“But fuck him! This is America and you need to speak English in America! I am so sick and tired about how it’s OK to hate conservatives, nowadays. We don’t hate anybody, we’re all about inclusiveness, but everybody feels it’s OK to hate me because I’m a conservative****. It’s not fair.*****”
“Dude, it wasn’t your beliefs that he hit. It was your mouth which insulted him.”
“How? By asking him to speak English? Why is it insulting to ask somebody to speak English in a Western country?”

(For brevity’s sake, Mike and Jorge went on like this for an hour. Literally, the only topic of conversation was Mike getting knocked out by the Mexican and why it was unfair for Mike to be knocked out when he’s just “speaking truth” about Western Civilization. Jorge was a fuckin’ Saint, and if he’s still friends with Mike after this, he’s still a Saint, just a Stupid Saint.)

So we get to south Austin and I drop them off at Jorge’s house, Mike to get his truck and drive home. Wanting to keep my 300% surge ride going, I asked Mike if he would prefer to continue the drive to his house, maybe he can pick his truck up tomorrow? Mike declines.

I leave Jorge’s neighborhood – fortunately, he has a Valero at the entrance so I get some gasoline, seeing Mike leave, turning right onto whatever road, barely pausing at the stop sign.

WHOOP-WHOOP! Blue lights flashing, Mike gets pulled over about 100 yards down. Should have not rolled that stop sign, Mike! That triple Lyft fee is looking pretty cheap right now, huh?

I put the app in Destination Mode for the SA Airport and start driving from Austin to SA. Ten minutes later, got a call from somebody in Kyle who needs to go to the SA Airport, which was really cool because I got paid $46 for a ride I would’ve had to make anyway.

So, to conclude: I got to listen to a Trump supporter whine about how he got his ass kicked in a bar fight with a “Mexican” while getting paid $162 in the process (and the $46 made it a $200 round-trip – not bad for two hours “work”.) Might be my Best Ride Ever.

*And for a guy who volunteered for Gingrich, Dole, and Forbes in the 1990s, and voted for Dubya in 2000 and 2004, this is always funny when hurled at me. But, when thinking about how hard the R’s have moved to the Authoritarian Right, this is probably true by modern Overton Window standards.

** A 300% surcharge on a drive longer than 45 minutes. Damn straight I’m taking the 3X pay ride which will last about an hour.

*** Actually, not the worst definition of “Libertarianism” – the freedom to act without personal responsibility.

**** Being an asshole racist about it might have something to do with it, Mike.

***** An actual thing he said. “It’s not fair”.

Last edited by JohnT; 04-02-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
(cut to relevant dialog)
“Dude, you were asking for it.”
“The hell I was! All I wanted to know is why he couldn’t speak English if he’s in America!”
I saw this "The K Chronicles" comic this morning and the first panel almost made me spit coffee out of my nose after reading this story from JohnT yesterday.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Morgan lived near Lackland AFB, on the SW side of the city. There are plenty of honky-tonks there, why she needed to go to one 30 miles away was unknown, but she did. I take Tiffani… then Angela… then Stephanie home. I text Tiffani at each stop, letting her know when each friend left. Then took Morgan home, to her mobile home near Lackland. Texted Tiffani when I dropped her off, closed the ride. 59 miles, 200% surcharge, $141 to me.
$141 for the ride home after a night out? That seems like a lot to spend, especially for college students. But then again, I was never a partier.

And the "All I wanted them to do was speak a real Western language, not that Spanish crap" was hilarious.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

It is pricey, but I drove over 70 miles on that one ride, so I'm OK with it.

(And these were 30-somethings, but I can see how this was unclear.)

Last edited by JohnT; 04-03-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:42 PM

{does three-months-dormant qualify as a "zombie"? I hope not}

I have no ties whatsoever to JohnT (other than sharing a TX mailing address) but I had an Uber-related thing come up recently, and the thought occurred to me "wait, wasn't there a dude who used to post on the SDMB, telling his "people-watching-on-steroids stories about driving for Uber?".

Call this a shameless "bump" because I sure miss reading those stories (though selfishly, I do also have a question as an Uber "rider").

Most of my trips are 20 minutes or less, right here around town (going out drinking on a Saturday night, needing a ride to the airport, etc).

I sit in the backseat, always keep to myself, make as much conversation as the driver insists upon, and when I hop out I'll 9-times-out-of-10 leave a tip (either $5 cash, or a few bucks on the app right after I hop out).

I noticed recently that my "rating" had dropped to a 4.93. Doesn't take a math-major to figure out that somewhere along the way (let's call it 40 rides) some rat-bastard left me a less-than-5-rating.

I'm having hell trying to figure out from the app, looking at the prior "My Rides" which driver that was - am I wasting my time?

I have a feeling it was the prick who in March took me from my downtown Vegas hotel to the airport, and - instead of driving the freeway (which Google Maps told me would have been 12 minutes) - insisted on taking me the side-streets for 22 minutes, hitting all the red lights, all the while telling me he "grew up in Vegas so he knows his way around". I got out at the airport, pulled my own suitcase out of his trunk, said "thanks" and headed for the Southwest gates without any tip whatsoever.

So two pointless questions: 1) am I wasting my time fumbling around in the Uber app trying to figure out what rider-ratings I've received in the past? and 2) JohnT what happened my man? Are you no longer driving for Uber? I (and I'm sure a handful of others) sure miss the crazy stories.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Sorry, but I don't know enough about the rider app to go back and check ratings. Wish I could help!

Let me think of some stories...
Old 06-25-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Place Show View Post
I have a feeling it was the prick who in March took me from my downtown Vegas hotel to the airport, and - instead of driving the freeway (which Google Maps told me would have been 12 minutes) - insisted on taking me the side-streets for 22 minutes, hitting all the red lights, all the while telling me he "grew up in Vegas so he knows his way around". I got out at the airport, pulled my own suitcase out of his trunk, said "thanks" and headed for the Southwest gates without any tip whatsoever.
My last few Uber drivers told me they were required to take the route shown on the app or they would not get credit for the ride, even if it meant sitting in traffic.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Well, that's not true in San Antonio. How can it be, with construction and road closings everywhere? Hell, even the passengers say "it's going to tell you to turn right... don't turn right" many times, and you listen to the person who actually lives there. And, often, they'll hit you with a "can we stop at the Whataburger @ Blanco and 1604?" request... the driver gets paid for that as well.

(Not doubting this is what your drivers told you, but I'm doubting the accuracy of what they were saying.)

Last edited by JohnT; 06-25-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
It is pricey, but I drove over 70 miles on that one ride, so I'm OK with it.
After our event this weekend, one of the guys was lamenting that he had a 14-hr ride home, only to have to drive back thru the area with the equipment in a few weeks, & how if he planned better, he would have left the van locally & flown home. The safest place to leave it 'locally' was at the event organizer's property but that's hellawaze from any major airport. If you have a long, one-way trip are you given any extra compensation to get back to your territory? IOW, does a 50-mile one-way trip pay you more than 5 10-mile trips or 10 5-mile trips?
Old 06-26-2019, 07:36 AM

Funny, I just today sought out this thread to see if any more stories have been added, to find it has just been bumped. Count me among the 'fans' - you write well and entertainingly, JohnT, more when you can please.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Well, that's not true in San Antonio. How can it be, with construction and road closings everywhere? Hell, even the passengers say "it's going to tell you to turn right... don't turn right" many times, and you listen to the person who actually lives there. And, often, they'll hit you with a "can we stop at the Whataburger @ Blanco and 1604?" request... the driver gets paid for that as well.

(Not doubting this is what your drivers told you, but I'm doubting the accuracy of what they were saying.)
Also not true for Lyft (the service I use when I have to) in San Francisco. The drivers nearly always ask me if they should follow the map's route or do I want to give them directions.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

The Tale of Uber and Rippin' It Luke

Sadly, most of y'all are pretty normal and you won't be featured in a "Tales of Uber" thread... and usually that's a good thing, for most people get mentioned because they're fuck ups (Tessa) or they have interesting tales to tell (Time Traveler). But there are some people who deserve a shout-out because of their personalities, not because of their actions.

So, Luke and his buddy (I'll call him Cody) were in downtown SA, needing to go directly to Lackland Air Force Base (about 10 minutes or so). Drunk, of course, but I quickly got the vibe that "drunk" is a well-practiced state of mind with these two, and they were smart enough to stay within their limits.

Now, Luke... Luke is the the sort who likes to repeat what he hears, which can be quite irritating:

"So, I had lunch with Judy and Arthur."
"Lunch with Judy and Arthur? How are they?"
"Fine - Judy's pregnant again."
"Judy's pregnant?"
"Yes, they think it's going to be a girl."
"A girl! Oh, how fun!"

yadda, yadda, yadda.

And this could have been the case with Luke except... except... look. Luke lives in a mental world where everybody is going at it 110%, living life to the max, and no one ever just does anything in Luke's world, they just... hell, unlike above, listening to Luke recast your life is the entire reason you would talk to Luke.

Cody was recounting what he did for Father's Day, and the conversation went like this:

"Yeah, my dad and I drove into San Antonio..."
Luke: "Cool! So you were rippin' and runnin' with Pops! I can get with that."
"We had a beer before we left..."
"Doing 12-ounce presses with the old man! I like it!"
"Well, we only had one because Mom was with us..."
"Your mom was making hard with the brews before rippin' and runnin'? My kind of Family Day out."
"Eh, mom didn't have anything to drink..."
"Got to keep your sorry asses in line, got it. Mom's gotta mom!"
"So we went to that Brazilian steakhouse downtown..."
"Awesome! Eating hoof and popping cold ones with the parents!"
"Damn meal was over $200."
"Holy shit! Did your card have a $200 hole in it?" (I assume he meant that "I sincerely hope you had $200 credit available on your credit card, my dear friend Cody.")
"Yeah, got it covered."
"Now that's what I call livin'!"

I would love to have this little tale end with some sort of narrative resolution, but sadly, sometimes life isn't like that as Luke's favorite song of all time decided to be aired, resulting in 3 minutes of bad air guitar, worse singing, and a lot of fuckin' noise. And I can't fuckin' stand "Bad to the Bone"!

But, really, all of us need a Luke in our lives, someone who makes our lives sound more exciting than they really are.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:32 AM

Well, you didn't disappoint. I was going to attempt a "Luke-style" response but I just can't compete. Keep them coming!
Old 06-26-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No. There is a "destination mode" for both apps which allow you to do this.

As a driver, you do not know where you are going until you pick up the passenger, so you don't know if any ride is going the "right way"... unless you use the destination mode.
Isn't there a way to tell whether the passenger wants to go somewhere truly unusual?

I used Lyft a lot last year when I had wrist surgery and couldn't drive for a couple months. I would usually chat with the drivers just to see if they had any interesting tales. One driver said he declined a fare to New York (we are in northern Virginia) - during a snowstorm. I asked him why the passenger hadn't simply taken the train (they run roughly hourly from DC to NYC) and he said "the trains had closed down due to the storm!".
Old 06-26-2019, 12:25 PM

I typically take an Uber about 3-4 times a month, usually to/from the airport locally or when traveling for work out of town.

I normally like to sit in the back seat, start off the ride with a few pleasantries of conversation, but would prefer to sit quietly through the ride, catching up on news on my phone.

Sometimes you get drivers that are overly talkative. I can understand that some riders want to talk to people, but drivers should take the cue from the rider.

Most recent ride I had was with a very talkative and opinionated driver. Tried to explain to me that the reason that the democrats are so pissed off with republicans is because none of the top 1% paid any taxes last year!

I usually keep my opinions to myself and just said, "Interesting."
Old 06-26-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
I typically take an Uber about 3-4 times a month, usually to/from the airport locally or when traveling for work out of town.

I normally like to sit in the back seat, start off the ride with a few pleasantries of conversation, but would prefer to sit quietly through the ride, catching up on news on my phone.

Sometimes you get drivers that are overly talkative. I can understand that some riders want to talk to people, but drivers should take the cue from the rider.

Most recent ride I had was with a very talkative and opinionated driver. Tried to explain to me that the reason that the democrats are so pissed off with republicans is because none of the top 1% paid any taxes last year!

I usually keep my opinions to myself and just said, "Interesting."
On my last few rides I have been asked when I order the ride for my "conversation preferences." It might only be available for the black car level and above.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Random thoughts

1. The worst thing to text your driver is: "I'm here." It's a big fuckin' Universe, and "here" is just a small part of it. How about "I'm at the lobby of the Hilton"?

2. If you have a gate code or a building number, be a champ and send it to us before we get there.

3. Feel free to talk about any details of your sex life to each other, like we don't exist. That one conversation between the two young ladies about their various partners attributes was quite illuminating, to say the least. "I mean, David is perfect husband material, but he's kind of a dud in the sack. Jack, on the other hand... if I were to marry him we'd be divorced in 10 years, but then I'd have his cock for ten years, and holy shit, Amy, that thing was just made for me!"

4. Always verify that the driver knows your name, and that you know the driver's name, before you get in the car. Also, check the license plate info as well.

5. The best ways to type in your location, ranked:

1. Business name (with address). So if you're at the Best Buy, type in "Best Buy" and choose the correct one from the list.
2. TYPED address. If you're at home, TYPE in "12345 Home Street ZIP".
3. Blindfolded, using your ass
4. Pickup at My Location

Don't use that last one. For the love of God, I beseech thee - don't use that last one!

You're sitting in your apartment, immersing yourself in the latest products from the fine people at AXE Body Wash and Sprays, and you're ready to go out and see what's happening at The Paper Tiger. Picking up your phone you call an Uber, telling the app to "pick me up at my location" (or whatever). You wait, combing your hair and deciding between jackets, when your phone chimes... and your driver is in the apartment complex next door. Again. You don't know why this keeps happening, but it always does. Anyway, you pick up your phone and you type in "Wrong apartments" (again, thanks for the illuminating info, JT), your driver texts back "where?" and you respond "Willow Bend Mist Estates" because something has to justify your $1700/mth bachelor pad, so why not some tortured name? Anyway, you wait and perhaps the driver gets there, perhaps she cancels, but now you're going to be late, all the good seats will be taken, and that asshole might already be hitting up Marcie by the time you arrive.

The above tragedy would have been avoided had you merely typed in the name of the complex or the address. The "My Location" has to take a guess as to where you are, and since your apartment sits near the fence to Broken Down Shithill Oaks, the Uber driver was sent to BDSO by the app... and now, the first thing you see when entering the Paper Tiger is Marcie fucking laughing at that asshole's jokes. The night is ruined! Just because you used "Pick me up at my location"!

Consider yourself warned...

6. You'd think this would be easy, but there are just some people who are just bad at this job. That's the thing which surprised me the most was hearing the complaints about the other drivers shocking... and many times illegal... behavior.

Last edited by JohnT; 06-26-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
That's the thing which surprised me the most was hearing the complaints about the other drivers shocking... and many times illegal... behavior.
I'm really curious about this... can you share some of these stories?
Old 06-26-2019, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Had one couple tell me of their previous driver whose car smelled like freshly smoked weed. When they mentioned it, he said, "Sorry, forgot to roll the windows down", rolled down his window.

Another issue I hear about is drivers leaving passengers in bad situations, wrong dropoff points, etc. A common one around here involves military personnel being dropped off at a specific base - the address is similar enough to another point on the same road, but 4 miles away. The passenger would want to be dropped off at the base, but the driver insists they get out of the car because he "dropped them where they were supposed to go."

You hear of drivers padding their rides by taking the long-cut.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

I don't get the idea of padding rides by taking the long way. Now I've only taken Uber three or four times, but every time, the app tells me upfront exactly how much the ride will cost. (And actually, that's something I prefer to the yellow cabs I was previously taking from the airport, because with that, the cost varies depending on how much traffic there is or whether the driver has to take a long detour.)

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 06-26-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

The Tale of Uber, Sadness, and a Possible Restart on Life

Picking people up.... sorry, "ripping and running" shoppers at Walmart one day, I get a call to get Kaitlyn at Seedy Woods apartments towards the inner city. I arrive, wait for somebody to leave (or enter) because Kaitlyn wasn't giving me the gate code, and I'm about to drive off when the gate opens, a car behind me using the code entry box. Yay!

Usually I have to drive around apartment buildings looking for the ride, but this one was readily apparent - a sobbing woman and her four/five year-old little girl, bags of clothes around them and about 3 boxes of various possessions. It was a Bad Situation, and I started looking for the guy, expecting to see some Drunk Asshole in a wife beater t-shirt. I mean, shit, sometimes this gig is like a movie.

"Kaitlyn?"
"Y-y-yes? Hi... sorry", she wipes her nose.
"Here, let me help - are we taking all this?"
"Yes, please, before he gets back." (THANK GOD, but now there's a clock ticking - and I don't know the timer!)

We put everything in my car (I'm better at packing than I am at Tetris, and I was pretty damned good at Tetris) and she and the kid get in my car.

Without a car seat.

So this is one of those times, right? Do I do what's right or do I do what's right? And I did what's right, and drove away, without a mention. Fortunately, we don't run into Mr. Wife Beater Shirt on our way out, and we were off.

She got on her phone (for even the poor in America have phones) and distracted the little girl for the drive, which was rather long, taking us out to some ranch NW of San Antonio. I pull in, have to get out to open the gate, move the car, get back out to close the gate (she insisted - I guess she thought she may have been followed, an idea that blissfully didn't occur to me until the ride's end), and drive about a mile to a typical one-story Texas ranch house where her family was waiting for her... brother, father, and mother if I had the measure of them right.

Kaitlyn starts crying again, and runs to her father, the little girl being picked up by her grandmother. The guy (brother?) helps me unload, both of us silent the whole time, until I thank him (I wasn't about to interrupt her), tell them all "God bless you" because it's about what they need to hear and not what I need to say, and get in the car, driving away, and doing the same gate routine but in reverse.

And I hope and pray she's OK and her little girl is OK and she resists whatever temptation it was which made her get into a situation which she had to flee, sobbing.

I picked up this one guy 5(!) times in a months period. Every time it was a weeknight. Every time it was to a different bar. Twice he talked with his companion about how drunk he got the previous weekend.

Dude. Might want to watch that.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:54 PM

I hope that family is ok. I'm glad she was able to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I don't get the idea of padding rides by taking the long way. Now I've only taken Uber three or four times, but every time, the app tells me upfront exactly how much the ride will cost. (And actually, that's something I prefer to the yellow cabs I was previously taking from the airport, because with that, the cost varies depending on how much traffic there is or whether the driver has to take a long detour.)
I would be curious about this too. Do drivers get $ for miles driven by Uber?
Old 08-12-2019, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Yes, mileage + time + surges + tips + pickup fees (if applicable) + a couple of other things I'm forgetting.

I do think at times the driver gets paid more than what the person pays. Just a hunch, though.

Last edited by JohnT; 08-12-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:12 AM

What do you know about Uber Eats? I'm thinking of signing up as a driver, to pick up some extra cash.