Old 08-09-2019, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if London bookmakers are laying odds on Biden saying the n-word before Trump. Biden, of course, will do it to show how woke he is.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Joe Biden's latest quote: "Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

The guy is a gaffe machine and I think may be torn apart in the general. I wish he and Sanders would step aside and make room for some of the younger candidates. Both of them have too many targets for the hate machine.
Dude needs a self imposed gag order. Jeez. That's almost Trumpian right there.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:21 PM
Suspended

OMG
Old 08-09-2019, 02:26 PM

Dear Joe Biden,
The next time you are planning to say anything that uses the word 'bright' in any context whatsoever, just keep that to yourself.
Thanks,
I think I still want you to win. But I'm not real sure.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:05 PM

Well, it's obviously a gaffe but it's probably one that I bet many older centrist Dems think "I almost said that at lunch yesterday". Probably mostly only get play in the white lefty twitterverse.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:14 PM
Suspended

But Biden’s biggest base is black voters.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:18 PM

Yes, and they won't care about this. Black voters, certainly over millennial age, are comfortable voting for paternalistic racist white candidates. It's often been they're only option.

Last edited by CarnalK; 08-09-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
... Probably mostly only get play in the white lefty twitterverse.
It really is the question isn't it?

How does his saying saying these sorts of things play with those who are his main support, and those whose votes he'll need?

Older voters? If they hear of them I am fairly sure don't give a shit.

Black voters who currently support him? Pretty sure those who support him are not too bothered as they feel his heart is actually in the right place. (Those unsure are another thing perhaps.)

Establishment Dems? Will shake their heads again but still prefer him to any current viable alternative. They'll stay.

Non-college educated whites inclusive of Obama Trump voters? It may endear him to them as more real.

Young voters inclusive of progressives? He won't get the nom on his strength with them in any case. It may solidify their opposition to him, maybe, but my small sampling of my adult children (18 to 33), their friends, and that age cohort in my office, is that few are paying any attention yet and won't until the field is way narrowed down. Most basically tell me they know they will vote against Trump whoever the Dems put up and it will be decided before they vote in the primary anyway so why bother?

But no question it is headshaking and anxiety provoking. I wish I felt more confident that Warren had what it takes (already not so confident that Harris does, very sure Sanders does not). I really want to see her attacked some so I can see how she handles and weathers it. If I had greater confidence in her these challenges to having confidence in Biden would have me flipped in a flash. But I don't have it ... yet. And those under that polling level are a factor only in who they might spoil but if they haven't gotten into the pack by now they aint going to.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Suspended

As I have said before, we have several Democrats running who would be ideal nominees, and they are all polling in the low single digits.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:43 PM

In a universe in which Biden, Warren, and Sanders no longer or never existed, there would be an interesting race between some interesting candidates several of whom might be able to prove they had the stuff.

This is not that universe.

There is and has been no oxygen in the room to feed the fire of a different center Left establishment friendly moderate Democrat, or a different progressive, or a different disrupt the whole system candidate, no chance for anyone else to demonstrate that they might be electable too. Biden would have to do something to cause his complete and utter collapse for any of them to have any chance to break through, and some have, in their attempts to break through, already caused themselves damage in that scenario.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:44 PM

I wish we wouldn't reduce this down to electability. The real question is do we really want to nominate a person who is constantly 10 seconds away from embarrassing himself?

Do we really want to nominate someone whose brain might be softening from old age?

At a time when minorities are taking hits from a President that is sympathetic to racists, do we really want to nominate a person who reveals thought patterns like this?

Old centrists might not care about these questions, but then again, a lot of old centrists also voted for Trump. I'm thinking we need a different standard than that.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Biden has done the impossible: He is strong in the African-American community and he is strong with democrats with racist views:

https://twitter.com/A_agadjanian/sta...423670785?s=20

What's also interesting is that he and Sanders score high with Dems who have strong feelings of hostile sexism.

Last edited by JohnT; 08-09-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by you with the face View Post
... At a time when minorities are taking hits from a President that is sympathetic to racists, do we really want to nominate a person who reveals thought patterns like this? ...
You prefer maybe someone who manages to not reveal their thought patterns like that?

Or to ignore electability and keep the one who reveals and panders to thought processes that are explicitly hateful?

Iíd rather be more confident in Trumpís departure and live with an occasional embarrassment than have a more polished candidate that loses.

That puts me in good company. The task isnít to convince us that Biden doesnít have it. The task is to convince us that someone else does and maybe better. We donít want to nominate someone who risks losing more.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:26 PM

Senility is not a good look in a Presidential candidate. No question, even if he spends his time in office drooling in a corner while his appointees run the country, we'd be infinitely better off than with four more years of Trump.

I take the polls which show Biden as our best option very seriously (though I still support Sanders, who is only slightly behind him in that regard). But at this rate, I would be unpleasantly surprised if the polls are still showing that when the time for actual voting comes around.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:29 PM

To be clear, I think the "white kids" thing was a slip of the tongue and not a sign that Biden secretly holds racist views. I don't think he actually believes Margaret Thatcher is still the PM of the UK, either. But it looks really bad when a 78 year old man is making slips like this on a regular basis. It makes it very hard not to worry about what he's going to be like when he's 83.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:51 PM

Bernie Sanders made a similar unfortunate worded comment in 2016 but most people understood what he meant in the context of the discussion.

Quote:
"When you’re white, you don’t know what it’s like to be living in a ghetto. You don’t know what it’s like to be poor. You don’t know what it’s like to be hassled when you walk down the street or you get dragged out of a car," Sanders said.
The problem for Joe Biden is his tendency to stumble provides Donald Trump and his campaign a shelter from being taken to task thoroughly since Democrats have to reckon with the prospect of having to defend their candidate. To an extent Hillary Clinton had this problem because she had Bill's misdeeds projected onto her.

For me the prospect that fears Trump the most is somebody new, short (therefore clean) record, and charismatic to energise the democratic base. But among rank and file democratic voters there is a fear that is propelling them to lean towards a candidate who can talk to Middle America. The goal is to reach 270 electoral votes after all. Increasing turnout is great but it's no good if it's because of New York and California.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:41 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Biden has done the impossible: He is strong in the African-American community and he is strong with democrats with racist views:

https://twitter.com/A_agadjanian/sta...423670785?s=20

What's also interesting is that he and Sanders score high with Dems who have strong feelings of hostile sexism.

This would actually be a strong kind of ďtriple threatĒ resume if he werenít so old and feeble.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
To be clear, I think the "white kids" thing was a slip of the tongue and not a sign that Biden secretly holds racist views. I don't think he actually believes Margaret Thatcher is still the PM of the UK, either. But it looks really bad when a 78 year old man is making slips like this on a regular basis. It makes it very hard not to worry about what he's going to be like when he's 83.
I suppose it does though it is a little weird that he's been called a gaffe machine for 40 years but now it's a sign of senility.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
...Iíd rather be more confident in Trumpís departure and live with an occasional embarrassment than have a more polished candidate that loses.

That puts me in good company. The task isnít to convince us that Biden doesnít have it. The task is to convince us that someone else does and maybe better. We donít want to nominate someone who risks losing more.
^ Very much this. (my emphasis) This is not the time to be lost in dreams of perfection. This is the time to keep an eye on the polls and remember every moment that seeing Trump lose is more important than anything, anything else on our wish lists.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
^ Very much this. (my emphasis) This is not the time to be lost in dreams of perfection. This is the time to keep an eye on the polls and remember every moment that seeing Trump lose is more important than anything, anything else on our wish lists.
I think that's part of the criticism of him from his left. He'll be elected, then what?

Because while a return to normalcy appeals to a lot of the electorate, the question is does normalcy return the moment Biden is sworn in? Just removing Trump is the goal and not necessarily about progressive policy when the Republicans are very happy moving further and further extreme in their policy.

It's a question his critics from the left want to know because they don't buy the electability argument. And I guess part of the reason is having gone from the first Black man to be on the top of the ticket (and elected), and the first woman to be on the top of the ticket, having an old white man is not a return to normalcy pre-Trump. It is normalcy pre-Obama.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:33 PM

Maybe Democratic voters are finally beginning to think more like Republicans: who the hell cares what the candidate says, just think about what he'll do once he's in office.

Last edited by asahi; 08-09-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, and they won't care about this. Black voters, certainly over millennial age, are comfortable voting for paternalistic racist white candidates. It's often been they're only option.
Biden is anything but a racist.

And black voters didnt vote for trump.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
As I have said before, we have several Democrats running who would be ideal nominees, and they are all polling in the low single digits.
Name three.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Maybe Democratic voters are finally beginning to think more like Republicans: who the hell cares what the candidate says, just think about what he'll do once he's in office.
I would happily vote for Joe if he's the nominee. I think he's a good guy who means well and has generally done a lot more good than negative. But it's only the negatives being pointed out and a lot of these are being dissected from his left.

Trump and the MAGA people will go after everyone shamelessly. These are the people who spun racist "send her back" rhetoric to making out they are the victims and the democrats are the racists. Whoever is the nominee needs to be prepared for despicable attacks on themselves and their family. My worry is he will be battered and bruised by the time he needs to get in general election mode.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
I think that's part of the criticism of him from his left. He'll be elected, then what?

Because while a return to normalcy appeals to a lot of the electorate, the question is does normalcy return the moment Biden is sworn in? Just removing Trump is the goal and not necessarily about progressive policy when the Republicans are very happy moving further and further extreme in their policy.

It's a question his critics from the left want to know because they don't buy the electability argument. And I guess part of the reason is having gone from the first Black man to be on the top of the ticket (and elected), and the first woman to be on the top of the ticket, having an old white man is not a return to normalcy pre-Trump. It is normalcy pre-Obama.
I question the assumptions implicit here. First, I don't know how many Democrats have 'a return to normalcy' as their main goal or as any goal at all, really. Normalcy is gone---if it ever existed. It's a phantom.

Second, 'now what?' after Trump is gone is not causing anyone any angst that I can see. It's a non-issue. Getting rid of Trump is progress in and of itself. The give-and-take, back-and-forth of the political process will go forward once we've defeated the monarchist fraction of the population, and reaffirmed our commitment to the Constitution.

I feel as though the sentiments expressed in your post represent a sort of flailing-about to turn Biden into some sort of existential problem; I can't see that effort succeeding. Biden is a candidate who may have the best chance of defeating Trump; at this moment of danger, more than that we do not require.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:26 PM

We can dissect Biden's flaws, as well as Trump's flaws to death. In the end, the incumbent always, always, always has a massive advantage over the challenger, even if he's not that popular, and even when the voters aren't entirely convinced he's doing a good job. When voting for/against a 1st-term president, voters ask two simple questions: Am I okay? And are things so bad that we can't wait another 4 years to fix them? People are afraid to change. Why would they change when they know things will change in 4 years anyway? That's the thought process. Voters have to think that things are so fucked up we can't wait another 4 years.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Biden is anything but a racist.

And black voters didnt vote for trump.
Did I somehow imply black voters voted for Trump?
Old 08-09-2019, 09:34 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post

I agree about ďoldĒ, but we actually need to convey that white men have not become ineligible for the Democratic presidential nomination, or we are going to be in political trouble.

Quote:
Name three.

I canít narrow it down to just three, although itís tempting to be cute and say three Bís (Booker, Beto, Bullock). Inslee is too strong to leave out.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Name three.
Bullock, Booker and Beto.

I want Biden to drop out and endorse Steve Bullock. I know it won't happen for many reasons, but that's my happy place.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Did I somehow imply black voters voted for Trump?
You say they vote for "racist white candidates". I know of only one who is a candidate- trump.

Thus, yes, that is exactly what you said. Unless you are implying that Biden or Bill Clinton are racists- which would be a total falsehood.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Bullock, Booker and Beto.

I want Biden to drop out and endorse Steve Bullock. I know it won't happen for many reasons, but that's my happy place.
I have never even heard of Bullock. Booker has gone off the deep end with crazy radical gun control plans, and reparations. Beto is a strong possibility.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:42 AM
Suspended

Bullock won the MT governor’s race at the same time Trump was winning the state by 20 points. Yet he is not a Joe Manchin conserva-Dem type. He is actually reasonably progressive. But he has a very “common man” way of talking without actually sounding stupid. You should check him out.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
In a universe in which Biden, Warren, and Sanders no longer or never existed, there would be an interesting race between some interesting candidates several of whom might be able to prove they had the stuff.

This is not that universe.
Biden and Sanders were going to play a major role in this campaign, regardless.

Six months ago, it was far from clear that Warren would. She was able to break through, others weren't.

I think part of the problem is the sheer number of candidates running. Outside of a handful of political junkies, nobody's got the time or energy or even interest in sorting through the twenty candidates who are polling in the lower single digits, and seeing if any of them are worth a look. Reports from Iowa suggest that many natives of that state actively resent the size of the horde and wish they'd GTFO. I think Klobuchar or Booker or Inslee or Hickenlooper might get a closer look from a larger group of people if there were only 8-10 candidates of note, rather than >20.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 08-10-2019 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Seem to have deleted a line by accident. Rewrote.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bullock won the MT governorís race at the same time Trump was winning the state by 20 points. Yet he is not a Joe Manchin conserva-Dem type. He is actually reasonably progressive. But he has a very ďcommon manĒ way of talking without actually sounding stupid. You should check him out.
I did, he seems Ok, but he did poorly in the debate, and honestly no one knows who he is. Also, he hasnt been vetted like Biden and Warren.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:47 PM

barring a big problem I don't see Biden dropping out before the first month or so of primaries. He's got plenty of money to stay in.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Dude needs a self imposed gag order. Jeez. That's almost Trumpian right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
That's oddly inspiring, in a way.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 08-10-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I have never even heard of Bullock. Booker has gone off the deep end with crazy radical gun control plans, and reparations. Beto is a strong possibility.
I want to believe Beto's a possibility, but he's just not.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:17 PM
Suspended

Quote:
I did, he seems Ok, but he did poorly in the debate

Maybe you didn’t like his debate performance, but you say that like this was the consensus opinion among pundits, and it’s not what I saw at all:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ebate-slugfest
Quote:
3. Bullock has big night[...]
At the moment, Bullock is barely registering in the polls, although that could change after his strong debate performance.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...campaign-surge
Quote:
DETROIT — Steve Bullock made a strong debate debut in Detroit, but it's an open question whether his performance can compensate for the ground he lost by missing the opening series in Miami.
The Montana governor mixed folksy charm with personal anecdotes as he introduced himself and his policy platform to a national audience via the first CNN-hosted debate Tuesday.
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...ic-debate.html
Quote:
[Bullock] demonstrated a potent ability, and willingness, to personalize difficult topics.[...]
If Bullock’s goal was to convince voters who hadn’t heard of him to give him a look, he may have achieved it.
https://www.cnn.com/opinions/live-ne...-30/index.html

David Gergen:
Quote:
Bullock was an especially fresh voice of common sense that will appeal in large swaths of the country.
Patti Solis Doyle:
Quote:
Most of us have not seen Governor Bullock on a national stage until tonight. But, with a strong performance in the debate and an embrace of more moderate policies, he is providing a viable alternative to the other more moderate candidate who calls himself a progressive and cloaks himself with the Obama administration – former Vice President Joe Biden. For those Democratic voters who viewed Biden’s debate performance last month as lackluster, Bullock will be appealing.
Paul Begala:
Quote:
Montana Governor Steve Bullock and former Maryland Congressman John Delaney did a good job of challenging the more, umm, fanciful proposals from Warren and Sanders: free college, free health care, single-payer weed. (Okay, I made that last one up, but stay tuned; it will be canon by the end of this primary).

Last edited by SlackerInc; 08-10-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:39 PM

Now Biden says he was vice president during the Parkland shooting (which happened in 2018):

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-say...205412800.html
Old 08-10-2019, 05:46 PM

My dream ticket would be Bullock & Buttegieg. The oft-cited front runners are carrying just as much baggage as Hillary did and will end up playing defense to the far right slime machine. I wish "Uncle Joe" would do the responsible thing and disappear.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2019, 05:52 PM
Suspended

And the thing people really have to remember is that he doesn’t get suspended in amber as he is now. We should not nominate anyone who cannot possibly serve two terms, and that means he has to be up to the pressure through eight years of a very demanding job (assuming he doesn’t neglect his duties like Trump or Reagan), a job that turned his young predecessor’s hair white, until 2029, when he is pushing 90!

Voters told pollsters last year that “over 75” was too old to run for president. But the plurality of Democratic primary voters somehow did not get that memo. I wish this had just been a more obvious social norm to begin with, so no one would take seriously the idea of Bernie or Joe running.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...468009984?s=19
Old 08-10-2019, 05:57 PM
Suspended

Obviously there is a huge pot/kettle quotient here. But it would be better not to even have to get into that argument.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Now Biden says he was vice president during the Parkland shooting (which happened in 2018):

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-say...205412800.html
This is one gaffe that Trump will be happy to pass on.

Parkland? No, no that wasn't under me. That was under Obama and Biden.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:26 PM

Actually it turns out he did meet people from Parkland so that was true. He was no longer VP but he met them. One of the parents of a victim spoke about it in April:

Quote:
It is time for me to share a very personal moment and it is about VP @JoeBiden. In the weeks following Jaime's murder, I cannot think of a person who did more to help me heal. It started with a phone call in the week immediately following her murder.

It was not a fast call. He allowed me to stay on for as long as needed and it went for almost an hour. I remember that he was on a train traveling. He then was in Florida 3 weeks later and he invited me and another parent to meet with him. Again, I was thinking a hand shake.

He had a group waiting to hear him speak. Instead, he met with us for about 45 minutes and he made us feel as if nothing else mattered. He spoke to us about getting through loss, he spoke about how we all grieve differently, he spoke to us about mission and purpose.

He also put his hand on my shoulders. For me, it was a highly comforting and healing moment. I will never forget that moment or our time together and I am forever thankful for having met him.

I do not know if VP @JoeBiden will run for President. What I do know is that after meeting with him, I can honestly say that I do consider him to have been one of the most decent and genuine people that I ever met and I am in a better place today because of him.
https://twitter.com/fred_guttenberg/...96883858804736

Last edited by Boycott; 08-10-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Suspended

Not sure it’s much better if he doesn’t remember when he was VP.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Not sure itís much better if he doesnít remember when he was VP.
Of course it's not good. Though I'm not seeing how Trump can make hay over Biden misspeaking or getting facts wrong. Trump's got a teensy bit of vulnerability on that score.

We'd prefer a candidate who never makes errors.

But how much of the GOP's work do we want to be doing, when it comes to obsessing over errors and gaffes?
Old 08-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not sure itís much better if he doesnít remember when he was VP.
Of course he remembers, dont be ridiculous.. He just confused meeting with two similar groups, one during and one after.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Itís weird that you and I are so far apart on the relative merits of the major candidates but we both really like Inslee. Yet, somehow, nobody else does.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:

And the thing people really have to remember is that he doesnít get suspended in amber as he is now. We should not nominate anyone who cannot possibly serve two terms, and that means he has to be up to the pressure through eight years of a very demanding job (assuming he doesnít neglect his duties like Trump or Reagan), a job that turned his young predecessorís hair white, until 2029, when he is pushing 90!

Voters told pollsters last year that ďover 75Ē was too old to run for president. But the plurality of Democratic primary voters somehow did not get that memo. I wish this had just been a more obvious social norm to begin with, so no one would take seriously the idea of Bernie or Joe running.
Yeah, itís weird. Voters of both parties SAY they donít want anyone over 70. And yet...