Old 05-28-2019, 03:32 PM

Cricket World Cup 2019

It's that time again! This year's edition has a decidedly retro feel with the reduction to 10 teams and the roundrobin format that harks back to 1992. All teams play each other once and then it's straight into the semifinals. I actually quite like removing the lottery of group stages, but will miss seeing the likes of Ireland, Scotland and Zimbabwe participating.

As always cricinfo will be the best place for overall coverage, although the wikipedia page will also be pretty good for a quick update of results.

Until this week I thought things would be fairly predictable, but no I'm not so sure. With the West Indies smashing 421 against New Zealand, and Afghanistan beating Pakistan in the warm-ups my expectation of surprising results his increased.

Anyway, what are your predictions fellow dopers? Personally I want to see the Big Three humbled, but realise it's a bit of a forlorn hope. Oh and I hope Tom Blundell gets a century in his ODI debut and walks back to his hotel from the ground in triumph to match his test start.

Last edited by lisiate; 05-28-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:17 AM

Who are the Big Three? Australia, India, SA? If so, I agree with you

Eternal optimist that I am, I'm hoping England's recent defeat by Australia will be just what they need to raise their game one more notch and get the job done. But yes, plenty of shock potential. Of the 10 teams only Afghanistan and Bangladesh have no realistic chance of winning the tournament, and I'd expect them to pick up a couple of wins between them - wouldn't be surprised if one was at England's expense, we have form in this regard after all. I'm going to back Windies as the shock semi-finalists, pushing out South Africa to line up alongside England, Australia, and India.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:30 AM

With only 2 knockout stages, it's pretty much anyone's trophy. England will be looking to show that they can actually do it on the Big Stage, and everyone else will be looking to show that they can do it against England.

The obvious top 4 would be England, Australia, India and South Africa, as Dead Cat notes, but there's plenty of room for upset there, and anyone who does manage to get defeated by Afghanistan or Bangladesh will see a serious dent in their ambitions, as there's not many points to play with.

Since that Windies have been taken, I'm going to go with New Zealand to upset someone, and I think it could well be India, playing in conditions they aren't used to, who miss out.

England to win it though. I'd put some money on if I thought I'd get any odds. England are 7/4 to win the whole thing at the moment, probably through weight of betting. South Africa are 8/1, NZ are 10/1.... tempting...

(England are 4/9 to win the opener against SA tomorrow, and SA themselves are 7/4 to win that one.)
Old 05-29-2019, 01:48 PM

New Zealand reaching the semis really shouldn't be a surprise. They've done it 7 times before and won more world cup matches than anyone except Australia. Never won it though. And we call the South Africans chokers. ..
Old 05-30-2019, 03:40 AM

Predictions from least to most certain:

1) Afghanistan won't come bottom of the group stage. Sri Lanka are genuinely bad at ODI cricket and have selected a very odd squad, leaving some of their best players at home and selecting a captain who hadn't played ODIs for years. They also knocked off Pakistan in the warm ups. I think, particularly if they bowl first and their spinners get into the game, they can limit teams to chaseable targets. This said, it's my least certain prediction because of my most certain prediction.

2) England won't win this tournament. This isn't me being a pessimistic pom - India are probably the side to beat, imo. They have more than enough firepower to score the necessary runs but it's the bowling where I think they hold the whip hand, with 2 or 3 better than decent spinners and arguably the world's best ODI bowler in Jasprit Bumrah. In a tournament where it's assumed batsmen will be on top, dismissing them regularly will win you games. The group stage is set up so as one or two blips won't be fatal and I would expect England and India to both qualify - but don't be surprised if England don't even make the final - they could after all face India in the semis. It feels like there are 3 overlapping groups of teams: AFG, SL and BAN at the bottom, overlapping with PAK; PAK, WI and SA in the middle - on their day any could push into the top group and might qualify by knocking a couple of them off - WI in particular look dangerous; and then IND, ENG, AUS and NZ at the top. At the minute, they're the teams I expect to qualify - but you can't discount the next factor mixing that up.

3) Rain will screw at least one or two teams over during the tournament and, for those that are so minded, will doubtless lead to further investigation/tweaking of DLS. This is the factor that might prevent Afghanistan winning a game or two and there's a better than decent chance that it will prevent someone from qualifying in the top 4.

Last edited by Cumbrian; 05-30-2019 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:23 AM

England v RSA. England are 148/3 after 26.
The pitch resembles a road. This tournament is going to suck donkey balls.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
England v RSA. England are 148/3 after 26.
The pitch resembles a road. This tournament is going to suck donkey balls.
Quite possibly, but don't underestimate the ability of England or RSA to keep it interesting.
England stuttered and got to 311/8 - a very gettable total in modern ODIs. South Africa were looking good at 129/2 in the 23rd over, but have contrived to move to 144/5 in the 27th.

As ever, the game is played mainly in the mind.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:56 AM

There's enough in the pitch for the bowlers and Archer is looking dangerous and variable with another 5 of his overs to go. Could be tight if these two stay in and if Amla makes it back to the crease.

looking like England from here though and they've been very solid in the field which makes any sort of run chase a problem.

Ah! as I type, Archer strikes.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:11 AM

Blimey, what a catch by Stokes! SA in deep trouble here.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:53 AM

Hammered them, a win by 104 runs with 10 overs left.

England played the way England play and got up to 311. SA have shown that that is still not easy to chase.

EDIT: West Indies vs Pakistan tomorrow. Be interesting to see how they get on against each other, both sides have shown that they can get up to the 350ish scores that England have been benchmarking.

Last edited by Teuton; 05-30-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:01 PM

That was a bit of a thumping and I'd suggest that the foundation of it lay more in the pressure with the ball and field. Not the normal boom-boom batting (though there were still 4 half-centuries in there)
Old 05-30-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Blimey, what a catch by Stokes!
Here's a clip of it:

https://twitter.com/TheCricketerMag/...31101230931968
Old 05-30-2019, 04:10 PM

The World Cup site has a pretty good highlights section too.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:00 AM

I put a fairly large chunk of change on India to win a few months ago, but now am not very confident. Inconsistent openers (Dhawan has been particularly bad) and a long tail could spell doom for them. England, Australia and Windies seem to have the deepest batting, but it’s really wide open, and the only teams that would surprise me in making the semis would be Afghanistan, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka. I took West Indies as my back-up at 15-1 last week.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:03 AM

Ok, this is a fucking nightmare.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

It's not so bad. When they won the World Cup they were bowled out for 74 by England in the round robin.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:34 AM

They still got a point in that game too, because it was rained off in the finish. I don't think they are getting any points from this game.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
They still got a point in that game too, because it was rained off in the finish. I don't think they are getting any points from this game.
And that point got them to the semifinals. England already had more runs than they would have needed after 15 overs when the game was rained out after 8 overs. They could have faced 7 maidens and won.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:11 AM

1 down, 9 to go! Unfortunately it wasn't Gayle though.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:21 AM

Any thoughts on the format change for this tournament?

Personally I think that the 10 team RR means you take a lot of the flukey and weather-related results out of the equation, the best 4 teams should find themselves in the semi-finals.
You also should have a lot of evenly balanced match-ups and the big guns can't avoid each other in the early stages (OK, I realise the first two games are perhaps not backing me up here). One downside I suppose is the lack of opportunity for massive shock results (Ireland anyone?).
But overall I'm in favour, There is a balance to be had between quality and quantity and this feels about right to me.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:03 AM

Well, that was an absolute gubbing for Pakistan.

Re: the tournament format - I can see a major drawback being a significant number of dead games towards the back end of the group stage. I also don't especially like the marginalisation of the smaller nations; the ICC should be trying to grow the game - instead they appear to be contracting it. As ever with the Cricket World Cup, it's also too bloody long. The reason the Champions Trophy and World T20 are good is because they're done in three weeks. Combine the length with the potential for pointless matches and I think I would have looked for an alternative format.

On the plus side it is likely the best teams will get through as a result of the large group, so you'd think the winner is probably going to be a worthy one. If the idea is to find the best team, then fair enough I suppose, but I'd argue that the World Rankings are meant to tell you who the best side is - a World Cup is about having an enjoyable tournament with pressurised matches, imo.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
It's not so bad. When they won the World Cup they were bowled out for 74 by England in the round robin.
Also lost to the Windies by 10 wickets in the opening game. Need to keep my spirits up somehow.

(People forget that Pakistan were so bad in the early part of that tournament was because for the early part, the team was walking wounded. Waqar and Saeed Anwar were ruled out, Imran, Javed and Wasim were all playing with and missing games through injury. Plus bad luck in games we should have won, the rain rule taking away all our overs versus SA, incidently, the reason no Pakistani has any sympathy for the Saffers re the Semi Final, and a batting collapse versu India. Once everything got going, well we were great.
Here we are merely abysmal.).
Old 05-31-2019, 08:47 AM

Pakistan also got slammed in their first match of the Champions Trophy 2 years ago - losing by 120+ runs in a rain affected game versus India. And that all worked out in the end.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:26 PM

I hope the Windies keep this form up. It's great to see them playing like this. It reminds me of my childhood.

NZ vs Sri Lanka next. Hopefully the Black Caps can start with a win.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:51 AM

Well, I'm glad they limited the number of teams in this world cup to prevent there being too many one-sided games!

NZ thrashed SL today by ten wickets, after bowling them out for 136.

Afghanistan are currently having a bit of a comeback, being now 134/5 after being 77/5, but it's still looking like Australia's to lose from here. AFG can bowl though, so if they can get up into the higher 200s it might put some pressure on.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

West Indies quite good with the emphasis on "quite". Australia looked okay against Afghanistan but I think there are some pretenders in the the side in the bowling attack. Front line bowlers are excellent but then Coulter-Nile and Zampa- not for mine. I believe the batting is pretty iffy as well alhough the return of Smith and Warner will help.

Just as an aside I see both Seymour Nurse and Bruce Yardley passed away earlier this year. Both very good Test players.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:29 AM

Game on today! Bangladesh have reached 330 against South Africa, who were bowled out for just over 200 by England in the competition opener. SA will be thinking they are favourites to chase them down, but it's a lot of runs.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:50 PM

And Bangladesh hold on for the win, as SA fall 20 runs short and give themselves a great view of Last Chance Saloon only 5 games into the tournament. Of course, they were missing Amla and Steyn and lost Ngidi part way through.

Old-fashioned sort of game - Bangladesh stood up well to the South African short stuff early on, looked good for 350 at one point, then fell away only to slog 50 off the last 4.
SA could never quite get on top against the Bangladesh spinners and left themselves with too much to do.

I don't think either of these teams will make it to the semi-finals, but they may well upset someone along the way.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:39 PM

Good to see a more competitive match though. And De Kock's run out was hilarious.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:39 AM

I for one am glad that South Africa are trying something different in this world cup. Instead of choking at a critical moment they are going to lose right from the start. Makes things a lot less stressful for their supporters.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:42 AM

Announcers keep saying that Pakistan’s 348 is a “par” score, but this would be the highest successful chase in a World Cup, correct?
Old 06-03-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
Announcers keep saying that Pakistan’s 348 is a “par” score, but this would be the highest successful chase in a World Cup, correct?
Yes, that is true, but this ground is small and the pitch is known for being favourable for batsmen, so that is colouring the thinking on what is par here. The two biggest ODI scores ever have been put up on this ground within the last couple of years.

Pakistan have played very well. As I write, Root and Buttler are at the crease (157/4). I think this match is going to be decided by this partnership. If Pakistan can get Buttler in particular soon, they will probably win.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:29 AM

A period of calm and pressure from Pakistan. Root and Buttler being restricted to singles mainly but I think England have a mature line up that can live with that for few overs and bide their time until pressing "destroy" mode.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:51 AM

Root gets out for 107. England need to score off Shadab or they're not going to get this. But Root was also looking to do this and made the error. It's a fine balance. 248/5 with 67 deliveries remaining.

Last edited by Cumbrian; 06-03-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:53 AM

I think, as it stands at 5 down, England should still be the favourites, but this will set them back. Another wicket will definitely tilt the balance, but Buttler is still in and set.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:54 AM

Looks difficult to get Shadab, in particular, away though. No need to panic just yet but they can ill afford to lose Buttler.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:20 PM

With Buttler going, I think England are screwed. The run rate has crept up and they really needed Buttler there for the finish.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:30 PM

It's still doable, but this is now Pakistan's to lose, 44 from 20 balls is a huge ask, and Ali is not looking comfortable.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:38 PM

down to the wire now. Pakistan favourite but string a few boundaries together and it is all change. Great game though.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:40 PM

Two wickets in two balls. Archer and Rashid can both bat a bit, but can they get 29 in two overs?
Old 06-03-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
Two wickets in two balls. Archer and Rashid can both bat a bit, but can they get 29 in two overs?
I am going to say no.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:44 PM

No, I think Woakes could have still done it, but Pak have bowled well at the end here and been difficult to get away all along.

Archer goes trying to get the big hit in, but he needed to to stand any chance.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:44 PM

No. All over bar the shouting now. Well played Pakistan, through slightly gritted teeth. Opens up the tournament nicely.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:50 PM

[SIMON & GARFUNKEL]Hello Darkness, my old friend[/SIMON & GARFUNKEL]

Not really or at least not yet - this format allows for the odd blip - but it does go to show that England can't just assume it's theirs to win. They were sloppy in the field and Pakistan have made them pay, just as a decent international team should.

It would have been useful to win this game - England's next 4 are Bangladesh, WI, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka and winning here would have allowed them to drop one of those before facing Australia, New Zealand and India at the back end of the group, giving themselves a bit of leeway. Never mind. Get it right next time.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:08 PM

Ok, I hid until the final ball.
Great to win.
Ok, yeah, England ain’t winning this*. Their bowling sucks. If anyone can give up 350 to a Pakistani batting lineup, that shows how lousy it is. Australia and India will murder them.
The batting wasn’t all that great either, Root got lucky with a drop. The wickets fell when the batsmen were being attacked. Pakistan tactics in the middle overs, to let the singles and twos was misconceived, they should have piled up pressure. Better planned teams won’t make that mistake.
I mean Australia.
Speaking of planning, England clearly took Pakistan too lightly. They had no business fielding first. Also I had no idea why they went for a tactic of bowling bouncers. It’s axiomic, don’t rely on a batting collapse for a strategy in future games. They bounced them, and the batsmen simply avoided them. Which was bad, since early on the conditions supported swing, and the allowed two out of form and shaky openers put up 80 plus, and conditions got better.

Pakistan, I ain’t saying anything. I still think we need to play with 5 bowlers not 4. Bring in Shaheen Afridi.

*Pakistan ain’t either, so no problem.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:29 PM

I didn’t watch the match. Was following the score on cricinfo between meetings. I sneaked our for the last 30-45 minutes. First time I’ve ever done that for a sporting event.

I don’t think Pakistan are going to win this either, but who knows. This tournament could be won by a team with three losses.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:35 PM

Playing with 4 bowlers is going to cost us.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:15 AM

It was Pakistan, who the hell knows which team turns up for them? Barmy and brilliant in equal measure. For England that game probably represents the worst case for our one-day team. Misfiring in the field and with the ball but still able to post the only two centuries thus far and come within 14 runs of a record World Cup run chase. They'll be frustrated of course but if 330+ is a dud performance then no real cause for alarm.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:57 PM

Well we'll finally get to see India play their first game, against a demoralised South Africa. I'll be hoping for an upset, however unlikely.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:36 AM

Very unlikely at this point. India looking (well, sounding - listening to TMS while working from home) rather good at the moment. Old chestnuts about wickets and both sides batting notwithstanding, this is India's to lose from here, SA 182/7 with only 7 overs left. Doubt they will get to the last couple of overs.