Old 06-14-2019, 11:10 PM

NHL 103 (2019/2020 season) pre-season thread

Since the very good idea for an off-season thread was made (& seconded) in the tail end of last season's thread, I thirded the idea and went ahead and started this.

This will be the 103rd season of operation for the NHL, but only the 102nd season of play, so I went with 102 for the thread title.

Our first piece of news came in the tail of last season's thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-n-va View Post
Caps send Niskanen to Philadelphia for salary cap space.
My first news contribution is that the Islanders signed Jordan Eberle to a 5-year, US$27.5M contract extension, which is actually a pay cut. IMO this is a smart move for the Islanders, giving them a consistent scorer for the foreseeable future at a very agreeable price.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-14-2019 at 11:12 PM. Reason: of
Old 06-15-2019, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, at least we can talk hockey if not watch it.

Stars fan here; it's starting to sound like we can get Zuccarello signed (please please please) and we have Polak and Janmark for at least a year. And Lindell for 6 years. Next year should be a lot of fun with the usual "if everyone stays healthy" provision.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:29 AM

I would love to see the Stars play again like they did around the turn of the century; they had fantastic teams for a decade or so there.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

And Mike Bales signs with Buffalo as their goaltending coach. That sucks, he was really good at managing the goalie rotation last season.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:10 PM

I can't believe I missed this a year and a half ago!

Let's Do That Hockey!

(SNL sketch where a basketball announcer has to fill in for a hockey announcer)

That's what's up!
Old 06-16-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I can't believe I missed this a year and a half ago!

Let's Do That Hockey!

(SNL sketch where a basketball announcer has to fill in for a hockey announcer)

That's what's up!
Not available in Canada. Which makes sense since hockey isn't very popular here.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:45 PM

Try this google link for one that you can watch; sorry I don't know how to be more help.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Try this google link for one that you can watch; sorry I don't know how to be more help.
Thanks Bo. That was pretty funny!
Old 06-17-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
...My first news contribution is that the Islanders signed Jordan Eberle to a 5-year, US$27.5M contract extension, which is actually a pay cut. IMO this is a smart move for the Islanders, giving them a consistent scorer for the foreseeable future at a very agreeable price.
I'm not sure about Eberle -- he was good in the playoffs, but his regular season was so-so. I was hoping to see him go for some cap space. They could really use someone who can be a actual scoring threat -- it's hard to do it all on defense.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:29 PM

Caps used that salary cap space to sign Carl Hagelin. One Twitter ďwitĒ said the Penguins paid him to play for us last year, the Flyers will pay for him to play for us next year.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:14 PM

Sharks are giving Karlsson $92M for 8 years of his hockey goodness. I guess they were happy with his try-out season eh.
Quote:
A person with knowledge of the deal confirms that it carries an annual cap hit of $11.5 million and includes a full no-movement clause. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team did not announce terms of the contract.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-17-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:45 PM

Olli Maatta's going to Chicago in exchange for Dominik Kahun
Old 06-17-2019, 05:00 PM

Ducks hire Dallas Eakins as head coach.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:36 PM

Rangers land Jake Trouba from the Jets for Neal Pionk and the 20th Overall.

The Rangers got that #20 from Winnipeg at the deadline this year. That trade was a rental of Kevin Hayes for WPG's 1st and Brendan Lemieux.

So it's basically

Hayes (rental) + Pionk for Trouba and Lemieux.

Hoping Zuccarello signs with the Stars, as the Rangers will get Dallas' first if he does and third if he doesn't
Old 06-18-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Sharks are giving Karlsson $92M for 8 years of his hockey goodness. I guess they were happy with his try-out season eh.
Wow, 11.5.
Great D, great career, but I'll bet he has only four (at most) good seasons left in him, mainly due just to wear and tear.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:08 PM

I don't see it, but the Rangers just signed Kevin Hayes $50M/7Y. I know he had a good season but that seems optimistic to me.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-19-2019 at 03:08 PM. Reason: fixed coding
Old 06-19-2019, 06:52 PM

The Flyers are the team that signed Hayes to that contract.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
The Flyers are the team that signed Hayes to that contract.

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
Hoping Zuccarello signs with the Stars, as the Rangers will get Dallas' first if he does and third if he doesn't
Hmm, I'd say I'd be willing to take Zuccarello in exchange for that pick exchange. He's small, but he works. We're much better with him than without him, it seems.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:40 AM

Excellent NHL Awards this year with some moving moments, with Robin Lehner, the Masterton winner (who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey), speaking about mental health issues (ďIím not ashamed to say Iím mentally ill, but that doesnít mean I'm mentally weakĒ) and this throat-lumping part when Hab's "superfan" Anderson Whitehead - whose mom passed away from cancer last year - met up again with his hero Carey Price.

Hart Trophy - most valuable player - Nikita Kucherov

Vezina Trophy - best goalie - Andrei Vasilevskiy

Norris Trophy - best defenseman - Mark Giordano (for ages it was bugging me - who the hell does he remind me of? Finally, tonight, I'm like - oh, right: Andre Agassi)

Selkie Trophy - best defensive forward - Ryan O'Reilly

Lady Byng Trophy - most gentlemanly player - Aleksander Barkov (only eight minutes in penalties this season!)

Jack Adams Trophy - best coach - Barry Trotz (2nd time!)

Ted Lindsay Trophy - (my favourite award) - best player as voted by NHLPA - Nikita Kucherov again!

Calder Trophy - best rookie - Elias Pettersson (ok...many would think Jordan Binnington, for trillions of reasons - including being arguably the main factor in bringing Lord Stanley to St. Louis - would be the winner, but Pettersson played a much fuller season, which is a crucial consideration for this award, as well for trillions of reasons of his own.) (damn he's incredibly awesome)

Don Sweeney Trophy - best GM - Don Sweeney

King Clancey Memorial Trophy - player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and who has made a significant humanitarian contribution to his community - Jason Zucker

Willie O'Ree Community Hero Award - recognizes an individual, who like Willie O'Ree, has worked to make a positive impact on his or her community, culture or society to make people better through hockey - Rico Philips (geez, hate to say this, but not a whole real lotta difference with this award compared to the King Clancy. Is there?)

Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award - Wayne Simmons - recognizes an individual as a superior leader within their sport, and as a contributing member of society (wow, again, kinda samey to the previous two, possibly)

Anyhoos - more or less spot on, good stuff.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:02 AM

If it were up to me, iíd add an award for most assists - the Gretzky?

Iíd also add an award for best offense by a defender, anti-Selkie - the Orr? Then make the Norris a true defense award.

The Willie OíRee nominees were non-players but the Clancy and Messier seem redundant.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:39 PM

I still say there should be an award that's the opposite of the Lady Byng, like for the dirtiest player. Or at least the best enforcer.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:02 PM

I've noticed a lack of Canadian teams in the Finals. Since Montreal won in 93, there have been no champions, and relatively few appearances in the finals (2011 Vancouver was 8 years ago).

Is this due to just the luck of the draw: 70% of the teams are in American cities, so it would be less likely Canadian cities would represent. Plus I'd imagine nearly half the players are Canadian and are spread out, so whether the team is north or south of the border isn't as important.

Or is it?

In the 90s, I read an article where the NHL players wanted tax breaks if they played in Canada. My memory is foggy, but I recall it was something like "the taxes are much higher so our salaries take a larger hit than the USA". Whereas Canada was like "tax breaks for millionaires? Gimme a break!". So players opted to play on teams in US cities.

Was this really a thing? Does it explain the lack of Canadian teams in the Stanley Cup? Or are there Canadian tax breaks in place since that 90s article?
Old 06-20-2019, 05:18 PM

There's no lack of talent on Canadian teams. Free agency does favour the US market though, for tax reasons, and let's face it, weather reasons.

But, I think it's just statistics. Canadian teams are outnumbered: that's all.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:36 PM

I'm not aware of any specific tax breaks in place for athletes, but the income taxes rates at the highest bracket can be lower in many states, I believe. I don't believe that's a huge component, though. The two biggest issues holding back Canadian teams over the past 25 years have been some combination of smaller markets (especially in the pre-cap era) and spectacular front-office incompetence.

Keep in mind that many of the Canadian teams play in cities that are tiny by standards of American sports. Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton all have around 1 million people in their metro areas, and Winnipeg is even smaller. After quickly scanning a list of American metro areas, I see the the smallest American cities with NHL teams are San Jose (1.97M) and Columbus (2.02M). Now, San Jose probably draws a lot of fans from the entire Bay Area so its population base is probably significantly higher, and I wouldn't be surprised if Columbus has fans in the entire state, drawing eyeballs from Cincinnati and Cleveland too. Canadian teams can partly make up the difference with a lot more market penetration than the smaller American teams, but it's a significant financial handicap compared to large American teams. Even Vancouver only weighs in at 2.51M people, less than Denver, St. Louis or Tampa Bay.

The biggest problem, though, is just how poorly the teams have been run. The Leafs have been a disaster for basically 50 years. Montreal has been a middling team with little great talent since Roy was traded. Vancouver and Ottawa both had stints where they had contenders but neither team was able to close the deal. The Alberta teams couldn't compete in the 90s due to financial constraints and have rather famously been terribly run since the 2005 lockout (fun fact: in the last 10 seasons, the Flames have won fewer playoff games than the Oilers!), and Winnipeg has been undone by poor goaltending for basically their entire existence.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:23 PM

Have y'all seen the new post-season special edition NHL 20 that EA Sports just released?
Old 06-20-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
That's cruel. Funny, but cruel!
Old 06-20-2019, 11:29 PM

Is market size more important that attendance? Because Calgary and Edmonton had a higher average attendance last year than Vegas and Dallas.

The Leafs have been mismanaged because they sell out every game, regardless of standings.

"Who cares what we put on the ice? We sell out every game."

That's changing under Shanahan. The Leafs will be a strong contender over the next 5-7 years, just like Chicago's comeback 10 or so years ago.

Last edited by Leaffan; 06-20-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:42 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I am now waiting to see if somebody signs Marner to an offer sheet. In the past Dubas has said the Leafs could match any offer but he has backed away from that position recently.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I am now waiting to see if somebody signs Marner to an offer sheet. In the past Dubas has said the Leafs could match any offer but he has backed away from that position recently.
I doubt it will happen. Dubas is not being committal in interviews, but I guarantee he'll get Mitch signed. I don't know how, but it'll happen. Offer sheets mean giving up way too much.
For what Marner is worth it will be four first round picks, or at worse two first-round picks and a second and third round pick.
Not gonna happen.

Last edited by Leaffan; 06-21-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Is market size more important that attendance? Because Calgary and Edmonton had a higher average attendance last year than Vegas and Dallas.
I was under the impression that ticket sales are a fairly small part of a modern sports teams' revenue stream these days. TV rights are the big money makers, I believe.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:57 AM

Having done the math, I'm wrong. Multiplying the Oilers' average attendance by their average ticket price and 41 home games per season, it comes out to $130M per season. That's certainly not a small part of their revenue (the Senators, for instance, get about $40M per season from regional and national TV deals). However, I'll note that I was comparing to the smallest American markets, who don't win many Stanley Cups either.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
I was under the impression that ticket sales are a fairly small part of a modern sports teams' revenue stream these days. TV rights are the big money makers, I believe.
Itís true for most major sports, but not hockey, I think. The NHL doesnít get a lot of money from TV, so it relies more than most sports on ticket revenue.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:19 PM

Devils select US center Hughes with 1st pick in NHL draft; other draft news at the link!

ETA: Kakko went 2nd to the Rangers, for those beside themselves wondering.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-21-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:12 AM

Ryan Callahan has been diagnosed with a degenerative back disorder. It's unlikely he'll ever play again.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:08 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Does anyone have any idea where Corey Perry is going to end up?
Old 06-22-2019, 05:13 PM

Subban to N.J. The Devils may be scary next season.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:27 PM

Ddamn, New Jersey making some serious acquisitions lately. A hotshot rookie center and a veteran defensive leader sounds like somebody wants more Ws.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-22-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:42 PM

Marleau from Leafs to Carolina.

Welcome back, Mitch.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:36 PM

My google-fu seems to have failed, so I figured I'd ask here, anyone know if Cole Caufield is related to Jay Caufield?
Old 06-23-2019, 11:24 AM

2019-20 schedules will be announced this week. Home openers were announced last week. For the third year in a row, the Caps will be present for the raising of the Stanley Cup banner.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:27 AM

Woot! Knights get to host the Sharks to open the season!

I hope that Las Vegas can open every year against the Sharks or the Kings; I like the regional feel that gives.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Marleau from Leafs to Carolina.

Welcome back, Mitch.
Toronto was forced to give up a 2020 first round pick to trade him away to clear cap space. Canes have plenty of cap space and they will buy him out.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Toronto was forced to give up a 2020 first round pick to trade him away to clear cap space. Canes have plenty of cap space and they will buy him out.
I will fondly remember his time with the Canes.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:04 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

As a Canadian, and as a Stars fan I love the upcoming HoF class.

Zubov and Carbonneau are both deserving picks. Hayley Wickenheiser (first year eligible) is also a deserving pick, being one of the greatest hockey players ever to come out of Canada. And Vaclav Nedomansky...he will likely be the last player who played in the WHA to make it to the Hall.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:15 PM

Caps & Pens play four times, all afternoon games. Two in DC in February, two in Pittsburgh in March.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:21 PM

Steve Yzerman: "The Detroit Red Wings select Moritz Seider!"

Red Wings Fans: "Can we have Ken Holland back?"

Me: "that didn't take long."
Old 06-25-2019, 04:56 PM

Blues signed "The Chief" to three years....Craig Berube, You deserve it!!

Now we need to deal with Binnington and a few RFA's and we are ready to skate into 19-20 season.

Wooo Hooo.....Hail to the Chief!
Old 06-25-2019, 11:41 PM

Jim Rutherford is in the Hall of Fame!!!
Old 06-25-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbutler View Post
I will fondly remember his time with the Canes.
Of course. He's a future hall-of-famer, a mentor, and a guy who comes to play every game. He's worth the one year contract for Carolina. I wish Marleau and the 'Canes all the luck next year.