Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 AM

Wizards Unite, a Harry Potter augmented reality game

So this just released recently, anyone else given it a try?

I've enjoyed it so far, it's similar to Pokemon Go, in that you can scan for things to do in your actual location.

We were entertained by the amusing scenario of a flaming serpent of some sort, flailing about on my son's lap while I attempted to defeat it in-game.

My friend code is 2267 4031 2302, so far only one of my friends IRL is playing this, so feel free to add me.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:38 PM

I've been playing for a couple of days, and to be honest I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it yet. I've gotten so many hands and wanted posters, and unlike PGO there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to repeat missions after you unlock the directory entry so that feels like it could be better balanced, and I wish there was some way to see what mission it is from the map so I didn't have to enter each and every one to discover 80% crap I have already completed. That seems like it would get really annoying in the later game when most of the directory has been unlocked.

Some things also seem super random, like scoring a Great on your first attempt only to see it instantly vanish into the ether. That has happened to me a lot more than I care for, frankly. I don't mind difficult games so much, but it's nice to be able to feel like you have some semblance of a chance, you know?

Anyway, I added your friend code, I'm not too sure what it does yet but hopefully something. PGO was the loneliest multi-player game I ever played.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:46 PM

I added you as well and my friend code is 3330 2034 1354 if anyone is interested.

I'm living in a better area then I dod when Go came out so while there is nothing at my house there is a ton of stuff within a mile. Overall the collecting isn't as fun as Go since as was mentioned once you get something collected there is no point to catching it again. I do like the combat and the fortresses and random critters have been the best part. The portkey games have been mildly entertaining too.

I think the most fun change they could make would be to let you choose the spell you're going to cast and have some be more effective than others depending on the situation.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:53 AM

I especially liked the niffler; using the AR it was just so amusing to see the niffler sitting in my living room with his hoard of gold coins all over my floor.

I like that if you are playing while riding in a car, your avatar changes to be riding on a broomstick.

Overall, a cute game so far.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:05 AM

This game has been available in Australia for a while now. It's cute to start with, but it really didn't hold my interest. There's a lot that's the same, over and over again. The best thing about it is that it's something to do on a walk, so if you need some incentive to do some exercise, it does offer that.

The only reason to collect anything is that it gives you experience (well, you can also collect ingredients for potions). You still get XP for collecting something you already have. I like the goblins and trolls the best. They are kind of goofy the way they run off.

Once you get to level 10, things are less likely to disappear on you, though they still do sometimes. At higher levels, you can brew a potion that prevents them from leaving.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:45 AM

Probably the most frustrating thing for me is the Spell Energy factor. There's no inn within walking distance of my house.

So inevitably I run out of SE between the times that I'm out and about. AT&T is a major sponsor of the game, and there is a convenient location along the main thoroughfare, but I have to remember to stop.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabellum View Post
Probably the most frustrating thing for me is the Spell Energy factor. There's no inn within walking distance of my house.
Yeah, I can see how that would be a problem. I live down the street from an inn and I still don't find it worth repeating missions unless my energy is almost full since I can only have so much of it at a time. It looks like they've really gone to town with the monetization this time around, too. I played GO for over a year without ever spending a penny on it but that doesn't appear to be as feasible in this game.

Most games with energy limitations will at least give you some energy when you level up or over time, and GO straight up attempted to drown you in balls when you reached the higher levels, but unless you happen to have an inn nearby I guess it's tough luck here.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:42 AM

Yeah, the spell energy is tedious as is the caps on ingredients and seeds. I'm also a bit lost with ranking up my character but then also ranking up the various sections of the registry as well as the exploration section? It's all very busy and gets in the way of the fun stuff.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:07 AM

It's much easier to play at work downtown than at home which is backwards and unfortunate.

I never played the Pokémon one, but this seems fairly neat. You're collecting pictures for the picture book, but there are also daily challenges and an embedded mystery story that you are collecting clues for.

ETA: Is there much point in adding friends that you can't join in wizarding challenges with?

Last edited by Folly; 06-24-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
It's much easier to play at work downtown than at home which is backwards and unfortunate.

I never played the Pokémon one, but this seems fairly neat. You're collecting pictures for the picture book, but there are also daily challenges and an embedded mystery story that you are collecting clues for.

ETA: Is there much point in adding friends that you can't join in wizarding challenges with?
Doesn't look like there's much benefit at the moment.

Maybe someday?
Old 06-25-2019, 12:05 PM

If you fill in a page of pictures in the registry, you can hit the 'prestige' button in the upper right corner and it resets the page with a nicer frame. I think you get some sort of bonus xp for collecting them again. Everything becomes fragmented with more fragments.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:48 PM

How do I get spellbooks? There are several skills I can't learn because I don't have any spellbooks, and I can't find anything that drops them.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:06 PM

Looks like they are Fortress drops so if you are really driven, you may need to find a local group to tackle some fortresses regularly to farm spellbooks.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:12 PM

Ah. I've never even seen a fortress so far, so I guess there isn't one in my town. Sheesh. Niantic's whole "Get effed if you don't live in a large city" attitude is really messed up considering their games have children as the target demographic.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
. . . ETA: Is there much point in adding friends that you can't join in wizarding challenges with?
There's a small achievement for having five friends. You get that. There may be other achievements at other levels, once you have that. I haven't reached five yet.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:23 PM

I found that my local gas station has two inns and a greenhouse, all available from one parking spot. So with the 5 minute timer, I can refill my Spell Energy pretty quickly. Too bad it's not really within walking distance, but I live in the sticks and beggars can't be choosy.

I've still yet to attempt a fortress, though I have seen a few around town.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:57 PM

I've added Sarabellum and Oredigger77. Here's my friend code if anyone else is interested. 1924 8354 5263.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:59 AM

Do the inns and fortresses correlate at all with stops and gyms in pokemon go, like they did with Ingress?
Old 06-26-2019, 10:01 AM

I believe inns and greenhouses are pokestops and fortresses are gyms. So if you know of a place that in pokemon go is a gym, it should be a fortress in WU.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
I believe inns and greenhouses are pokestops and fortresses are gyms. So if you know of a place that in pokemon go is a gym, it should be a fortress in WU.
Not that I've noticed. One of the gyms around me is an inn and the other is a greenhouse. Thanks, Niantic.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:00 PM

I have been playing for a couple of days and I like it enough to keep going at least for a week or two. I never got into PoGo primarily because I didn't know or care about the franchise. I played quite a lot of Ingress back in the day and in fact started a thread on it. So far my impression is that this game is more polished than the other two in terms of the quality of animation and the depth of the gameplay. There is a decent number of inns/greenhouses in my area so that isn't a problem. These games tend to get quite grindy but the fact that you are playing it outdoors reduces the tedium somewhat. I am a mild Harry Potter fan and while I don't really remember all the details I enjoy the general setting.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:23 PM

I've been playing for a few days. I think I like it better than Pokemon Go, but I ditched Go pretty fast and I might do the same for HP.

My office desk is within range of an inn and and a greenhouse so I can re-coup spell energy pretty easily. Someone is always using the greenhouse so I haven't been able to grow anything yet though and that timer ends in the middle of the night so no go there. I did try growing something once, but wasn't able to harvest the result. I don't know what the timer is on collecting what you grow but it seems too small to me. If you have to walk around to do shit, the timer should be at least a day. If the greenhouse by my office ever clears I might have better luck.

I also noticed that inns are giving more spell energy this week. Used to be some foods gave 1, now it looks like the minimum give is 3.

There is a fortress just out of range of my house. I can access it from my driveway though, and once I access it I can go back inside and do multiple fortress runs. I ran through all my initial runes that way.

I'm a Magizoologist, because why not?
Old 06-27-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachertorte View Post
I also noticed that inns are giving more spell energy this week. Used to be some foods gave 1, now it looks like the minimum give is 3.
Wait, this is more spell energy than usual? That's really messed up. As is the fact that the only place where you can see how much energy you have is in the store.
"I guess we could have given players enough energy for one mission per visit, but on the other hand we really, really want them to pay for it."
Old 06-27-2019, 03:21 PM

OK. I just found this out. If you are brewing a potion you can click on the handle and then make some gestures (inside of the cauldron) to speed up brewing by 15%.

Some of the decoded gestures are listed here for instance.
https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/ne...ter-note-codes
Old 06-27-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
Wait, this is more spell energy than usual? That's really messed up. As is the fact that the only place where you can see how much energy you have is in the store. . .
You can also see it in the upper left if you go into an inn or greenhouse or if you go to your vault.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:53 PM

I've still yet to manage to beat a Fortress. I've been able to visit inns and greenhouses, and I'm learning better strategies about keeping my spell energy up.

I also unlocked one Portkey, and that was interesting.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:13 PM

I don't know about beating a fortress but i routinely beat level three of the fortress closest to me. I've never seen another person at the fortress so I've failed level 4 a couple of times. I went and tried the fortress at the courthouse/county building and still had no one else trying the fortress at the same time but I was able to take level 3 again. I'd like to try with other people some time.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
How do I get spellbooks? There are several skills I can't learn because I don't have any spellbooks, and I can't find anything that drops them.
Fortresses drop red spell books, which were originally used for levelling skills. Then it got changed so that you needed green 'restricted section' spell books. They drop during events. There was a beta event a week or two before the world-wide release. Hopefully, they run often enough that people don't get totally stuck levelling skills. I don't know if the red spellbooks are still useful for anything, or will become useful again at some point. It seems a bit wrong to me, to depend on events to provide spellbooks.

Fortresses get easier as you get levels in your profession (starting at level 10? I think). Aurors are straight up the best fighters. Magizoologists can do healing, and buff themselves and teammates. Professors can do a bit of everything. If you are mostly a solo player, it's probably best not to be a magizoologist, but I felt like professor was fine solo.

Fortresses are a good place to use up potions. Sometimes I use 4-5 potions to complete a higher level.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:46 AM

I'm on vacation now, and the main strip of the little tourist town is lousy with inns and greenhouses and fortresses. I was finally able to do a few fortresses. I'm level 10 now.

Looks like a special event is coming up soon.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:01 PM

I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. And I'm terrified I'm going to break my phone by playing with it so much outside on the hard ground (usually it just lives in a pocket).

I don't hate it but I don't quite get it yet. Like when does it start becoming fun or am I just doing it wrong? I know I'm low level but I'm not going to cruise the city looking for stuff that I'm not sure I can do yet based on my level. I wish I could do a little more just sitting on my butt. I go for long walks almost daily, but it feels like I can't really play the rest of the day.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
If you are mostly a solo player, it's probably best not to be a magizoologist, but I felt like professor was fine solo.
Oops.

Oh well. I’ve not had too much trouble with levels 1-4 in fortresses on my own yet. We will see. It might be because I’ve been playing fortresses at my dining room table where I can put the phone on the table and trace with better speed and accuracy that way. Walking around makes the game harder. Also the fortress has been creature heavy so far, so I guess that is helping?
Old 07-03-2019, 11:51 PM

Can any of you explain to me what the "dark detectors" do?
Old 07-04-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabellum View Post
Can any of you explain to me what the "dark detectors" do?
You can put up to 3 of them at an inn where they will last for 30 minutes. My understanding is that if you hang around, they will increase the number of foundables that appear near that inn.

I think they also increase the chance that they will be the higher level / rarer foundables.

If you see an inn that has one, two, or three spinning circles around them that indicates the presence of that respective number of dark detectors.

Last edited by Folly; 07-04-2019 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:56 AM
Charter Member

I've gotten up to level 12 and have assembled quite the collection so far, but I have to say I'm getting frustrated a bit. Spell Energy is way too scarce. Half the time I encounter a Foundable I already have in my Registry I leave because I can't afford to use spell energy on it. It's super frustrating and many of the Inns give out a piddly little 3 bolts, so it can take forever to recharge. I encounter WAY WAY more Foundables than I do spell energy and I almost never want to go into a Fortress for fear of blowing through my precious spell energy. Today's Special Event was particularly rough on my supply.

I also seem to find myself being resisted far more often now that I'm getting stronger. Some Foundables with only low-medium threat levels will resist 8-10 or more great-masterful casts before finally fleeing. I can use potions but they don't seem to go very far in ensuring a successful cast. Anyone have any strategies for more successful casts on Foundables?

I'm also sort of guessing on what to learn when I'm doing my professional training. I'd like to train on things that ensure a higher rate of success with Foundables but pretty much every skill seems more suited to challenges and questing which I don't really do that much of.

Anyone managed to figure out how to optimize strategies for any of this stuff?
Old 07-04-2019, 08:30 AM

The spell energy thing is very flawed. I’m lucky that I live in a high inn density area, but what the game should do is take density into account. It makes no sense that all inns act the same. If there is no other inn for a mile, that inn should give way more spell energy than one that is within a block of three others.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:40 PM

Does anyone have a good guide? I'm just not figuring this out very well and I'm a couple days from quitting in annoyance. Like today I did one battle thing and ran out of energy which has not happened before and I didn't quite know what to do. (Pay the coins? Wait?) I can't collect stuff I find because my vault is full but I don't know how to fix that. I can't brew any potions because I'm missing ingredients for all the ones I've unlocked. And I don't know how to use a potion or when to and I have a billion questions but the few sites I've found just got me even more confused. My daily challenge keeps suggesting I dine at an Inn and while I've found an Inn, I don't know how to dine there. Stupid little things.

It might be intuitive for other people but I'm not finding it to be so after the first day.

And I don't know how much a guide is going to help me since you can't really play sitting on your butt on your couch. I can read the process of something but I can't do it and I don't want to be switching to a guide while I'm trying to play out and about. And I hate reading stuff on my phone.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:18 AM

You get spell energy from inns primarily, and sometimes greenhouses. To dine at an inn you walk near an inn on the map and tap on the inn on the map. You will be presented with 5 dishes. You select one randomly by swiping along the curved arrow below the dishes. Then you will get some number of spell energy.

Sometimes the game glitches and fails to present the five dishes and curved arrow.

This is not a sit on your couch game.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:53 PM

Spell energy is starting to drive me nuts especially during this even. I visited 4 inns today that share a parking lot I had 0 energy before the first Inn and I had 0 energy before I made it out of the parking lot. I only got 3 energy per inn. I'm not sure I'll ever make it back to 75 energy.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:56 PM

I found out I wasn't going to Inns, but Fortresses. So I guess I haven't even seen an Inn yet. And I figured out how to use potions, which helped me beat most of the things I tried to unconfound/battle much more easily. I dumped a bunch of my multiples of ingredients so I could collect more stuff.

I don't mind walking miles to collect stuff, but I want to sometimes just sit and do it. So at least now I know how to manage my ingredients so I can pre-prep for my walks.

But I'm still looking for a handy guide.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:48 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
Spell energy is starting to drive me nuts especially during this even. I visited 4 inns today that share a parking lot I had 0 energy before the first Inn and I had 0 energy before I made it out of the parking lot. I only got 3 energy per inn. I'm not sure I'll ever make it back to 75 energy.
Since inns (and greenhouses) reset every 5 minutes, if one's totally out, and willing to spend a little while "farming," one should be able to replenish at a spot like that without spending *too* much time. Also, some of the inn foods give more energy (at least five, maybe more), though that seems to be the luck of the draw.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:44 AM

I get what is required but even at an average of 5 per visit I'd have to spend 20 min hanging out in that parking lot and not playing the game besides visiting inns. That seems unreasonable.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:13 PM

I hope the game was just glitching, but I walked half a mile today without coming across a single thing. No greenhouse, no honeywater, no unicorn that was confounded. Nada. I saw stuff earlier in the day. I'm not going to rage quit, but my neighborhood isn't in the boonies and my city has 60k people in it. I should find something, even if it's not a good thing. I know the bugs in the other games I play, so I don't know if this is just a bug or now I'm in a desert.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

I've been seeing a dramatic reduction in stuff too. It's not quite nothing, but it's comparatively scarce. Haven't gone to look for inns or greenhouses while at work, but usually there's a regular supply of foundables in and around my office/lunch spots but it's slim pickins today.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:14 PM

I have reached Level 6 which is where the real game starts I think. So far I rather like it and I think I will continue for at least a few weeks. Certainly the character progression and increasing complexity of the combat gives the game more depth than Ingress. Taking a whole fortress solo seems an interesting challenge. I continue to be struck by the visual polish and detail of the game. Probably I will get bored of the confoundable animations at some point but it hasn't happened yet. At first I thought that swiping patterns to cast spells was rather lame but I admit it's grown on me. It's quite fun to try to improve the precision and speed of the swipes to get a higher score.

Fortunately I live in a dense area so I don't have the problems that some of you have with spell energy. I think they should adjust the energy levels based on density so that inns give more energy where they are scarce. It should be easy enough for the software to automatically calculate the density of inns/greenhouses in each place.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:52 PM

It does somewhat. Green-roofed inns are supposed to give you more energy per food than blue-roofed.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:38 PM

What about black inns? I saw one today but did not visit. Was the first inn that color that I'd seen.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:26 PM

I can't google this question because I keep getting related, but not what I need, answers.

I have a bunch of potions in my vault. But only one of them says "use" under it. All the rest say "info." I'm up to level 8 or 9. Is it a level thing? I can use the Brain Elixir but can't use the Exstimulo Potions. Or are they things I can only use when I'm in a fortress?

(When I google, I just get results on how to brew, but I have like 40 of the various ones and no idea HOW to use them or when. Just vague "improves your ____" info and not like "When you're here tap this and swipe that.")
Old 07-10-2019, 07:43 PM

In the vault you can only use the brain elixir which increases XP gained for 30 minutes

All the other potions are for use in specific situations like the extimulo potion is for when in a challenge or confronting a confoundable. In these situations you will see a potion icon at the bottom of your screen which if you tap will show you the potions you can use.

Potion use is not level limited.

Potion brewing is level limited.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:42 PM

Oh, ok thanks! All I could get by googling was the master codes to speed up potions.

I went for another walk around my block tonight and it was a desert again. So the other day when I saw nothing, I guess it wasn't a fluke. It's not a huge big deal but annoying. Also annoying is that I have six green houses and two fortresses at one park near me, and none at the other park and NO Inns at either. Since those two parks and my block are the three places I do 75% of my walking, it's kind of a bummer. I know I should open and play when I'm like waiting in line at the grocery store or whatever, but I never remember to play when I'm not walking as exercise.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:52 AM

It never fails to astound me that despite playing daily, and going out of my way to find fortresses and whatnot, that more than half the people on my friend list are miles and miles past me!

Quite a few of them are level 25 already!