Old 07-15-2019, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

If a lefty batter steps out of the box, does that count as a steal attempt? He's headed 'towards' first base....
Old 07-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
In other news, the Atlantic league is experimenting with stealing first base. On any count, if the ball gets away from the catcher, the runner can "chose" to steal first. I haven't been able to figure out if the hitter can change his mind and run back. Does the batter's box become a base?
This sounds like another dumb idea, like putting a guy on second in extra innings. Pitchers fearing balls in the dirt on all counts would probably lead to even more home runs.
Is that an earthquake? Oh, no, it's just dozens of dead baseball players rolling over in their graves.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
If a lefty batter steps out of the box, does that count as a steal attempt? He's headed 'towards' first base....
You make a compelling point in favour of the change.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
More strikeout/home run weirdness: Josh Hader has 82 strikeouts in 45 innings (16.4 SO9) and has only given up 17 hits. A 0.667 WHIP. Dominant stuff, so it's a little surprising his ERA is 2.40. He's given up 12 runs...all via the home run, of course.
Hader's numbers are so bizarre that had you shown me a line like that ten or twenty years ago I'd have assumed it was a mistake.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:27 PM

After putting catcher Willson Contreras on the IL with a foot strain, the Cubs acquired catcher Martin Maldonado from the Kansas City Royals in exchange for LHP Mike Montgomery.

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/martin...s-royals-trade
Old 07-16-2019, 08:02 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Chris Taylor of the Dodgers is out until September with a fractured left arm after he got hit by a pitch Sunday. Luckily he was shifting to a bench role with the return of Pollack and Seager.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Chris Taylor of the Dodgers is out until September with a fractured left arm after he got hit by a pitch Sunday. Luckily he was shifting to a bench role with the return of Pollack and Seager.
I like Taylor, ever since he was a rookie in Seattle (where he played with Seagerís brother). But that kidís got glass arms, he broke his wrist in 2015 hit by a pitch. He should wear full medieval plate armor on his arms when batting.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

One day after losing to the hapless Orioles, the Nationals are destroying the Braves tonight. Baseball can be a funny game.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
After putting catcher Willson Contreras on the IL with a foot strain, the Cubs acquired catcher Martin Maldonado from the Kansas City Royals in exchange for LHP Mike Montgomery.

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/martin...s-royals-trade
Montgomery screwed himself with his horrible performance after Cole Hamels had his injury. If youíre the designated long man and spot starter, youíve got to be ready to go. The Cubs could have gotten some drunk from Murphyís or the Cubby Bear to pitch better than Montgomery did that night
Old 07-19-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Hader's numbers are so bizarre that had you shown me a line like that ten or twenty years ago I'd have assumed it was a mistake.
This is a product of pitching in 2019, with power pitchers either blowing fastballs right by batters or batters timing pitches right and teeing off.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:28 AM

It's after the All-Star game, in the dog days of summer -- time for some good old fashion baseball rage.

The Dodgers were apparently none too pleased after the Phillies closer hot dogged it after finishing off the Dodgers to cap a comeback.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ris-curses-out

Quote:
"Neris got the save and looked right into our dugout and screamed as loud as he could, 'F--- you!'" Dodgers first baseman Max Muncy told reporters after the game.
And then there was this beauty from Yankees manager Aaron Boone, who got tossed for telling a rookie home plate ump how to do his job:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...y-guys-savages

Quote:
"My guys are f---ing savages in that f---ing box, right? And you're having a piece of s--- start to this game. I feel bad for you, but f---ing get better," Boone said, going on to repeat his thoughts several times. He told Miller to "tighten it up right now, OK?"
Old 07-19-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
One day after losing to the hapless Orioles, the Nationals are destroying the Braves tonight. Baseball can be a funny game.
It's especially funny when Stephen Strasburg has 5 RBIs, including a 420-foot, 3-run homer.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:52 AM

After going 9-1 the Giants are now 2.5 games out of the wild card slot but they are 6th in the wildcard standings , many teams have similar records. I don't expect them to make the playoffs especially after they trade some players away at the deadline.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It's after the All-Star game, in the dog days of summer -- time for some good old fashion baseball rage.

The Dodgers were apparently none too pleased after the Phillies closer hot dogged it after finishing off the Dodgers to cap a comeback.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ris-curses-out
I like to see emotion in MLB players. I feel like the culture in that league is too deadpan. But thatís way too far, and especially low class for a guy facing a suspension after throwing at one of their players in a temper tantrum. There are personalities, and then there are grown-up ďprofessionalsĒ acting like spoiled children.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I like to see emotion in MLB players. I feel like the culture in that league is too deadpan. But thatís way too far, and especially low class for a guy facing a suspension after throwing at one of their players in a temper tantrum. There are personalities, and then there are grown-up ďprofessionalsĒ acting like spoiled children.
This is the time of year when MLB starts to become more compelling. Some teams are on the verge of being knocked out of the playoff race for good. Others trying to make their move from mediocrity to contender. Players trying not to get sent down to the minors.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:49 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
It's especially funny when Stephen Strasburg has 5 RBIs, including a 420-foot, 3-run homer.
Strasburg had two hits in one innings, including the homer. How many PITCHERS active today have done that? Bet that is a short list. Strasburg is a career .147 hitter so he's maybe not the likeliest candidate.

Strasburg turns 31 today.. He's been a good pitcher his whole career, and yet it feels like he never really became the star he was supposed to, because he's really only ever pitched one complete season.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Mike Yastrzemski scored the wining run in the Giants game? MIKE Yastrzemski?

I saw his grandfather play in Fenway Park about a hundred times. I feel ancient.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 07-22-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Strasburg had two hits in one innings, including the homer. How many PITCHERS active today have done that? Bet that is a short list. Strasburg is a career .147 hitter so he's maybe not the likeliest candidate.

Strasburg turns 31 today.. He's been a good pitcher his whole career, and yet it feels like he never really became the star he was supposed to, because he's really only ever pitched one complete season.
Strasburg was the most hyped pitching prospect since Todd Van Poppel. By comparison he's a Hall of Famer. In truth, Strasburg has been very, very good and very consistent when healthy. But he would have had to be Roger Clemens to live up to the hype.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:53 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

As noted by Angels beat writer Jeff Fletcher on Twitter: Mike Trout has hit home runs in three consecutive games, three separate times this month. He's hit 11 home runs in his last thirteen games.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:16 PM

For whatever reason I was looking at the active leaders in WAR on bbref. Albert Pujols is number one, by a pretty wide margin, but number two is now Mike Trout. Already.

Last edited by Tom Scud; 07-24-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:31 PM

Another controversy involving (who else) Angel Hernandez: https://weei.radio.com/blogs/rob-bra...e-case-protest

Short version: Rays-Red Sox. In the 8th inning the Rays move their pitcher to first base and bring in another pitcher for a single batter and move the original pitcher back to pitch.

From my understanding of the rules: When the pitcher is moved to first, the DH is lost for the game. So at that point, the manager is making a "double switch": 1) a new pitcher, and 2) the pitcher, now first baseman who wasn't previously in the batting order. So the manager could designate where he wanted each in the lineup. The manager did not so designate, so Hernandez picked their spots.

It seems right to me, except I wonder why Hernandez wouldn't just ask the manager when he made the substitution.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:39 AM

But it wasn't a double-switch. Kolarek entered the game at pitcher. The DH was in use, so the DH would be batting for Kolarek. When Kolarek moved to 1b, the DH was voided, and Kolarek was now in the batting order in the spot previously occupied by the DH. When Kolarek moved to 1B, only one new player came in - the new pitcher (Roe.) Though this presented two new players to the batting order, only one new player came into the game. Kolarek is tied to the spot that was occupied by the DH. Regardless, Kolarek and Roe did not enter the game at the same time.
There was no option to have Kolarek or Roe in different spots in the batting order.

Last edited by Obeseus; 07-25-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:12 AM

This sort of scenario would be moot under the proposed silly rule to require all pitchers to face at least three batters.

Baseball insists on solving problems that aren't there (eliminating intentional walk pitches) and ignoring those problems that really exist: too many home runs, too many pitchers on the roster and not enough depth on the bench, and the balls being juiced. They're going to finally do something about the number of arms in the bullpen, which I think is a good thing, but why not just go to 30 man rosters, 15 pitchers and 15 position players. That way late in the game when you need a base hit or a stolen base, the manager doesn't look down the bench and see one catcher and two other guys.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
. . . Baseball insists on solving problems that aren't there (eliminating intentional walk pitches) . . .
I wish someone would do an analysis of how much time has been "saved" with the new IBB rule. I would bet it's less than a minute per game. Of course, they would never rescind this awful rule. It would be like admitting they had wanted to rob the game of its character.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obeseus View Post
But it wasn't a double-switch. Kolarek entered the game at pitcher. The DH was in use, so the DH would be batting for Kolarek. When Kolarek moved to 1b, the DH was voided, and Kolarek was now in the batting order in the spot previously occupied by the DH. When Kolarek moved to 1B, only one new player came in - the new pitcher (Roe.) Though this presented two new players to the batting order, only one new player came into the game. Kolarek is tied to the spot that was occupied by the DH. Regardless, Kolarek and Roe did not enter the game at the same time.
There was no option to have Kolarek or Roe in different spots in the batting order.
Why would Kolarek be tied to the DH spot? He was no longer the pitcher, Roe was. Shouldn't Roe occupy the DH spot as he was now the pitcher and the DH was forfeited?
Old 07-25-2019, 04:48 PM

Missed the edit window. The DH wasn't batting for Kolarek. He was batting for "the pitcher." So when the DH was forfeited, he was batting for Roe.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
The DH wasn't batting for Kolarek. He was batting for "the pitcher." So when the DH was forfeited, he was batting for Roe.
No. Kolarek came into the game as pitcher at the beginning of the top of the 8th. He was not placed anywhere in the batting order. The DH, who was scheduled to lead off the bottom of the 8th, was now batting for Kolarek.

After retiring one batter, Kolarek moved to first base. This voided the DH for the remainder of the game. Kolarek, who due to having been the pitcher, was tied to that same spot in the batting order with the DH. He now has to bat where the DH was. Roe is the new pitcher, but the DH is already gone. The 1Bman who left the field is the spot where Roe is now batting.

The Rays couldn't say, "We are bringing in Roe to pitch, the DH will now be batting for Roe, and we're moving Kolarek to first base."
Old 07-25-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obeseus View Post
No. Kolarek came into the game as pitcher at the beginning of the top of the 8th. He was not placed anywhere in the batting order. The DH, who was scheduled to lead off the bottom of the 8th, was now batting for Kolarek.

After retiring one batter, Kolarek moved to first base. This voided the DH for the remainder of the game. Kolarek, who due to having been the pitcher, was tied to that same spot in the batting order with the DH. He now has to bat where the DH was. Roe is the new pitcher, but the DH is already gone. The 1Bman who left the field is the spot where Roe is now batting.

The Rays couldn't say, "We are bringing in Roe to pitch, the DH will now be batting for Roe, and we're moving Kolarek to first base."
Apparently Hernandez said that the manager could have made that selection, but since he made no selection, Hernandez made one for him.

I guess our debate would come down to the exact moment the DH is voided. If a pitcher moves to a new position and a new pitcher pitches, which one happens "first"? I would argue that the DH was not voided until the moment Kolarek was announced at first base. It was only by virtue of that act that the DH is voided. So who bats for the DH? The pitcher. But Kolarek is not the pitcher. If he was, the DH wouldn't have been voided.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:49 PM

Troy Tulowitzki retires.

Mets hoping to trade Noah Syndergaard.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:07 PM

My Nats took three of four from the Rockies, including a doubleheader sweep.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
My Nats took three of four from the Rockies, including a doubleheader sweep.
And it shoulda been 4 out of 4. Except their bullpen still sucks.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

This Boston fan is lording it over the Yankee fans today. 19 to 3!!
Old 07-26-2019, 10:43 AM

Yesterday the Orioles' center fielder Steve Wilkerson became officially the first position player in MLB history to record a save. He faced Brian Goodwin, Kole Calhoun, and Albert Pujols, getting them to fly out, ground out, and fly out, respectively. His average velocity was 54.3 mph.

It's occurred at least twice before saves were a officially recorded statistic, in 1963 by Willie Smith of the Tigers and way back in 1927 by Jimmy Dykes of the Philadelphia Athletics.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
This saves the Blue Jays about $28 million or so and he wasn't even a Blue Jay anymore.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
It may be fun to score big on your rival, but often you wish you could have saved some of those runs for the following game. I couldn't believe they kept Tanaka in that long.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Yesterday the Orioles' center fielder Steve Wilkerson became officially the first position player in MLB history to record a save. He faced Brian Goodwin, Kole Calhoun, and Albert Pujols, getting them to fly out, ground out, and fly out, respectively. His average velocity was 54.3 mph.

It's occurred at least twice before saves were a officially recorded statistic, in 1963 by Willie Smith of the Tigers and way back in 1927 by Jimmy Dykes of the Philadelphia Athletics.
My bolding. Smith was exclusively a pitcher in '63; he only converted to the outfield the following year with the Angels, so it doesn;t seem like he counts. It does look like you're right about Dykes.

I love the video of those 55-mph pitches. He looks like me out there.

Last edited by Ulf the Unwashed; 07-26-2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: yes, really bolding
Old 07-26-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
I love the video of those 55-mph pitches. He looks like me out there.
Yeah, but just wait until the next time through the lineup.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
At least until N.Y. scores 21 runs off Red Sox pitching in the next game.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
This is my favorite baseball story of the year so far.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Apparently Hernandez said that the manager could have made that selection, but since he made no selection, Hernandez made one for him.

I guess our debate would come down to the exact moment the DH is voided. If a pitcher moves to a new position and a new pitcher pitches, which one happens "first"? I would argue that the DH was not voided until the moment Kolarek was announced at first base. It was only by virtue of that act that the DH is voided. So who bats for the DH? The pitcher. But Kolarek is not the pitcher. If he was, the DH wouldn't have been voided.
MLB rules aren’t always cut and dry.

Rule 5.11(a)(8) reads, “Once the game pitcher is switched from the mound to a position on defense, such move shall terminate the Designated Hitter role for that Club for the remainder of the game.” So as soon as Kolarek moved from the mound to first, the DH ceased to exist. The DH isn’t there for Roe, Roe has to bat for himself.

Here’s where the opinions come in. I think, by the rules, since the DH must bat for the pitcher - and the pitcher moving to 1B terminates the DH - that the person who was the pitcher (and now 1B) must bat in the DH spot of the order. He’s still one of the original 10 in the lineup (he’s not just entering the game), the DH was batting for him, he goes into that spot. Roe, then, coming in to pitch, would replace the original 1B in the batting order. After Roe was removed, Kolarek moves back to the mound (still batting in the DH spot), and the new 1B entering the game bats in the original 1B spot.

That’s how I see it. I can understand someone having the point of view that Kolarek is now the 1B and should bat in that spot (with Roe now in the DH spot), but I think that’s incorrect. There were 10 people in the lineup, Kolarek was one of them. When Roe comes in and Kolarek goes to 1B, now there are only 9 - but Kolarek was in both lineups, Roe wasn’t. It’s Roe that goes into the batting order to replace the 1B that leaves the game; Kolarek goes into the DH spot that was terminated when he left the mound. If you swap the right and left fielders for some reason during an inning, they don’t move in the batting order. The new person entering the game should replace the fielder leaving (unless it’s a double switch, which isn’t exactly what’s happening here).

In other words, what Obeseus already said, just in more words.

I think that’s clear to me, but it took me some thought. I’m glad I don’t usually have to deal with this when I umpire youth baseball.

Last edited by Uncle Jocko; 07-26-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
This saves the Blue Jays about $28 million or so and he wasn't even a Blue Jay anymore.
Blue Jays Banter writer Matt W says the Jays are still on the hook for the remainder of the contract.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:05 PM

I'm not sure about the DH thing. My take is that the new pitcher came in at the same moment that the first pitcher went to 1B, so essentially it's a double switch and the manager can designate who bats in which slot. More on that, I've never seen the logic on the DH spot being locked in the lineup, it seems to me that you should be able to pull a double switch and say have someone bat for the DH and play right field and have the new DH bat in the old RF slot in the lineup. But for some reason, the baseball gods couldn't handle that possibility.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:10 PM

I'm not enjoying this season that much and I should, what with the Yankees up 10 games in the East. It feels like a joke, like the worst of the so-called steroid era. I guess some people liked the London series and the recent NY vs. Minnesota video game extravaganza, but I'm not one of them. Fix the damn ball. If I see one more just-stick-the-bat-out opposite field homer I'm gonna barf.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:30 PM

Intentional Balk?

Evidently (according to the Nats' announcers anyway), Kenley Jansen of the Dodgers committed an "intentional balk" with Trea Turner on second in the ninth inning, moving him to third. They are saying that it's known that Jansen dislikes having a runner on second behind him. Can't say as I've ever seen one of those before.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Evidently (according to the Nats' announcers anyway), Kenley Jansen of the Dodgers committed an "intentional balk" with Trea Turner on second in the ninth inning, moving him to third. They are saying that it's known that Jansen dislikes having a runner on second behind him. Can't say as I've ever seen one of those before.
Did he do it again tonight? He also did it against the Cubs about a month ago. That was the first time I'd ever seen it happen.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jocko View Post
MLB rules arenít always cut and dry.

Rule 5.11(a)(8) reads, ďOnce the game pitcher is switched from the mound to a position on defense, such move shall terminate the Designated Hitter role for that Club for the remainder of the game.Ē So as soon as Kolarek moved from the mound to first, the DH ceased to exist. The DH isnít there for Roe, Roe has to bat for himself.

Hereís where the opinions come in. I think, by the rules, since the DH must bat for the pitcher - and the pitcher moving to 1B terminates the DH - that the person who was the pitcher (and now 1B) must bat in the DH spot of the order. Heís still one of the original 10 in the lineup (heís not just entering the game), the DH was batting for him, he goes into that spot. Roe, then, coming in to pitch, would replace the original 1B in the batting order. After Roe was removed, Kolarek moves back to the mound (still batting in the DH spot), and the new 1B entering the game bats in the original 1B spot.

Thatís how I see it. I can understand someone having the point of view that Kolarek is now the 1B and should bat in that spot (with Roe now in the DH spot), but I think thatís incorrect. There were 10 people in the lineup, Kolarek was one of them. When Roe comes in and Kolarek goes to 1B, now there are only 9 - but Kolarek was in both lineups, Roe wasnít. Itís Roe that goes into the batting order to replace the 1B that leaves the game; Kolarek goes into the DH spot that was terminated when he left the mound. If you swap the right and left fielders for some reason during an inning, they donít move in the batting order. The new person entering the game should replace the fielder leaving (unless itís a double switch, which isnít exactly whatís happening here).

In other words, what Obeseus already said, just in more words.

I think thatís clear to me, but it took me some thought. Iím glad I donít usually have to deal with this when I umpire youth baseball.
I think this is too complicated. The DH bats in place of the pitcher. A team did X which caused them to forfeit the DH, therefore the pitcher must bat for himself. Who is the pitcher? Roe. Therefore, he must bat in the lineup instead of the DH.

However, Hernandez used the double switch language and said since the manager did not designate their spots, he chose them. MLB seems to be saying that a manager can designate, but it really isn't a double switch because only 1 new player is coming in the game.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
It may be fun to score big on your rival, but often you wish you could have saved some of those runs for the following game. I couldn't believe they kept Tanaka in that long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
At least until N.Y. scores 21 runs off Red Sox pitching in the next game.
HA-ha!

19 to 3 or 10 to 5. I'll take two wins and a chance to give Yankee fans a raspberry any way I can get it!
Old 07-28-2019, 10:16 AM

AL wildcard is shaping up to be one of the better races in recent memory - four teams on a pace for 89 wins or more, two of which will miss the playoffs. (Minnesota could also easily miss the playoffs, and Houston and New York are both looking fairly safe but could lose their leads with a bad two weeks).
Old 07-28-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Losing 9 to 5
As the Red Sox keep on winning!
And the Boston fans
Just watch and keep on grinning!
Old 07-28-2019, 07:00 PM

Cubs creep back into a tie for first in the NLC after Kyle Schwarber crushes a 473-ft grand slam (the longest of the Statcast era), then launches a 3-run shot two innings later. They also acquired Derek Holland for bullpen help (for cash considerations), and announced that Ben Zobrist has said that he wants to rejoin the team.

Last edited by Superdude; 07-28-2019 at 07:01 PM.