Old 07-09-2019, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Retail Stupidity

Yes, this is a thread about stupidly in retail stores. Can be stupid customers, stupid employees, stupid management, stupid architecture...

I once had a customer forget what store he was in. Not, "forget which branch of a chain of stores he was in" but "forgot what company he was dealing with". Misidentified my store with Wal-Mart. Then insisted to the person him with him we were a Target. Wrong again.

Currently, the company I work for has the check-out display a survey question at the end of the transaction. When not enough customers availed themselves of the opportunity to answer said questions they started making answering them a requirement. So... either the customer answer it... or the NEXT customer answers it so their transaction can take place... or the cashier answers it. Today, one of the customers, pissed off at being "bothered", said "I actually like the store but I'm pissed off so I'm going to answer "no" 'cause I hate this sort of survey." Way to go.

WHY does anyone put money on a moving conveyor belt? What makes sense about that? "Oh, the belt will stop." Riiiiight... I express my doubts and mention seeing the belt eat coupons, placemats, and one time a quarter. One time, we had a $50 bill go under... I am really glad that was one of my days off and I wasn't involved. But some of these twits will insist that no, that never happens. Well, sure, I'm only here 20-40 hours a week, what could I possibly know about this machine?

This week, one of my co-workers shouted out a question to me from the next register over: "Do we take half dollars?" Well, yes, of course we do, they ARE legal tender here... and I thought my customer was going to hurt herself laughing so hard but trying to do it quietly. Yes, we also take dollar coins and two dollar bills.

Dear customer: Whether or not those clothing items just rung up are on sale or not, they are ringing up full price. Unfortunately, I do not have the authority or the ability to alter the total by nearly $200 and calling someone in the department will not change that. Calling a manager will not change that. The only way to get a price adjustment that large is to go to customer service. No, calling the Store Director will not change it, either - yes, she can authorize it, but the register will not process it. The transaction has to be transferred to customer service to do this.

If I can not identify the vegetable/fruit you are purchasing I can not ring it up. Yelling "IT'S A DOLLAR SIXTY-NINE A POUND!" does not help because it is not the name of a fruit or a vegetable. Our Corporate Overlords have decreed that we can NOT ring up food items with a per-pound price anymore because it gives the computerized inventory fits. Yelling "IT'S A DOLLAR SIXTY-NINE A POUND!" repeatedly does not change this. Yelling "IT'S A DOLLAR SIXTY-NINE A POUND!" louder does not change this. If I do not have the Magic UPC Number I can not ring your stuff up.

If you've forgotten your password to your digital coupon account I can not retrieve it for you. Why our coupon accounts need passwords is a bit baffling to me, as that is generally not super-secret information, but there ya go.

Your ID and the information on your credit card account has to really, really, really, definitely match. Just moved? Sorry - I know it's a pain but we can not do this until your ID and account information match. I don't care that the store the next county over let you do that (and personally I am having grievous doubts as to the veracity of your claim), they aren't supposed to do that, we don't allow it, and talking to a manager is not going to change that. We both want to keep our jobs.

I don't care what the DMV said, that paper copy of your new license is NOT as good as the permanent license you're still waiting to get in the mail. We can not accept it as proof of age for purchasing fireworks, pellet guns, R-rated movies, cough syrup, spray paint, lottery tickets, alcohol, tobacco, or firearm ammunition. The bar you went to last night accepted it? That's their problem. Those of us who work here want to keep our jobs.

On the other hand: my younger and less experienced in life co-workers passports ARE legal proof of age.

Yes, there are some traces of dirt on your ORGANIC potatoes. That is what they grow in. Let me tell you about what mushrooms grow in....

OK, customers: cilantro and flat-leaf parsley bear a remarkable similarity to each other in regards to appearance... but they sure as hell don't smell or taste the same. Please make note of this, otherwise your results may not be what you expect when you cook with it. Unfortunately, some of the stocking employees are either clueless or lazy or both. Or possibly too high to care. I dunno. But it is not unknown for cilantro to wind up in the parsley bin and/or parsley in the cilantro bin. Then some idiot decided that plastic bags for such produce would be just fine in green... which only further conceals the identities of these leafy condiments. I'd prefer NOT to unwrap and snort your leafy condiments due to both sanitary issues and the fact that I really don't want to get that intimate with anything you are purchasing. So don't get your panties in a twist if I ask for clarification.

Likewise, if you tell me, for example, it's cilantro and I identify it as parsley please do not keep insisting it is cilantro. Or vice versa. Because there is a REASON I am telling you this. If you really, really insist one of these things is actually the other I will sell it to you but please do not return to us in a day or a week and complain that your home-cooked meal tasted "weird" because or cilantro/parsley was bad. No, it wasn't - you just, apparently, are oblivious to the fact they smell and taste completely different.

And that's probably enough for now.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:17 PM

Somebody had a bad day.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Yes, this is a thread about stupidly in retail stores. Can be stupid customers, stupid employees, stupid management, stupid architecture...
I don't care what the DMV said, that paper copy of your new license is NOT as good as the permanent license you're still waiting to get in the mail. We can not accept it as proof of age for purchasing fireworks, pellet guns, R-rated movies, cough syrup, spray paint, lottery tickets, alcohol, tobacco, or firearm ammunition. The bar you went to last night accepted it? That's their problem. Those of us who work here want to keep our jobs.
I get "WHY WON'T YOU TAKE A HALF SIZED BLURRED PHOTOCOPY OF THE FRONT OF MY ID ON ON A CRUMPLED PIECE OF PAPER!?!?"
Old 07-09-2019, 09:33 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

ref Item #2 - I have walked out of a store with a purchase half completed when the store "demanded" I answer their impertinent and un-necessary questions. Left loudly as well. You want information from me, pay for it. You get nothing for free.*

ref Item #6 - What, you don't have the UPC memorized for every single item in the store? Slacker.

ref Item #12 - I so agree. Separate the parsley from the cilantro as far as possible and make sure your stock people have working noses.

* - I already know what you are going to say and I stand by my answer. They can either pay me or pay a market research firm.

Last edited by silenus; 07-09-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:42 PM

Regarding cilantro or parsley in the wrong location, it could also be due to careless customers putting it there after handling it. It happens all the time with other items. I had a customer expect to pay a lower price for some clothing that was simply placed in the wrong location (probably by another customer), and the price there was less. I would be more likely to steal something than ask for such a thing (and I don't steal).

Last edited by Dickerman; 07-09-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Years ago, I was working at a grocery store, and an older woman asked me where the Walgreens batteries were. I blinked and said "At Walgreens."
Old 07-09-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Currently, the company I work for has the check-out display a survey question at the end of the transaction. When not enough customers availed themselves of the opportunity to answer said questions they started making answering them a requirement. So... either the customer answer it... or the NEXT customer answers it so their transaction can take place... or the cashier answers it. Today, one of the customers, pissed off at being "bothered", said "I actually like the store but I'm pissed off so I'm going to answer "no" 'cause I hate this sort of survey." Way to go.
I am not answering survey questions if I don't feel like answering survey questions. That's not a remotely reasonable thing to require of customers. The rolleyes in this case should be aimed at the company.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:35 PM

A friend of mine once worked at a Dollar Tree. There were always people asking her how much something cost, and if they had item x, with x being something like VCRs or tennis shoes.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:33 PM

I try to be tolerant, and so I don't have a lot of retail stupidity stories - usually I can justify things by thinking, "well, it made sense to SOMEONE."

But my pet peeve is making it incredibly hard to find what I would consider to be normal, non-exotic products, by placing them in inexplicably weird places. An example: raisins at my local Safeway.

I looked in the baking aisle, where things like nuts, flour, sugar, vanilla, and other commonly used items for baking can be found. Nope.

I looked in the aisle that listed "fruit snacks" where they have things like fruit rolls, granola bars, and the like. Nope.

I looked in the not-particularly-marked section next to the produce which seems to be a monument to Ocean Spray, where they sell cranraisins and the like. Nope.

So where does my local Safeway put their raisins? Oh, in the produce section, underneath a bin of oranges or apples or something.

Right. That makes total sense.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:47 PM

Same issue as when I did call center technical support. NO I CANNOT FORCE THE COMPUTER/TERMINAL TO TAKE YOUR CREDIT CARD. There's a reason it was declined by the on-line credit system (which is not ours, by the way, but like, THE WORLD'S) and we can't just hit a button that says "take it anyway".

No, I don't have a say in it, I didn't do it to you, I can't stop it from happening. *I* did not embarrass you or single you out. Your credit card company told us not to accept it. That's between you and them. You figure it out on your own time, because nothing is changing here. You need another damned form of payment or we don't do this.

That's it. Those are the only choices we're both given. Deal with it.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:20 AM

One of my local supermarkets, it you enter and go to your right, has bread along the first wall, then the corner, then refrigerated vegetable stuffs such as juices (and in the floor space, the rows of fresh fruits and vegetables), then there is a largish break and the fishmonger, and several refrigerators in front of the fishmonger's holding the prepackaged fish, shrimp salad, etc. I've been asked where was the meat by someone who apparently found it surprising that the fridges in front of the fishmonger's would be full of fish (she'd exclaimed "what? It's all fish!"). FTR, the fridges with prepackaged meats are in front of the butcher. I guess she must have been even more "not from around here" than I am, but still, why would there be prepackaged mincemeat in front of the place that sells you trout and squid?

Last edited by Nava; 07-10-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
Years ago, I was working at a grocery store, and an older woman asked me where the Walgreens batteries were. I blinked and said "At Walgreens."
I cannot tell you how many people have asked where the batteries are while standing within 3' of the battery display.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
ref Item #2 - I have walked out of a store with a purchase half completed when the store "demanded" I answer their impertinent and un-necessary questions. Left loudly as well. You want information from me, pay for it. You get nothing for free.*
Yep, I've done the exact same thing as a customer - problem is, as an employee I don't have a lot of choice.

I forget if it was Office Max or Office Depot (doesn't matter now since they've merged anyway) but my spouse and I walked in to buy some copier paper and were subjected to a lengthy questionnaire wanting things like our address, phone number, e-mail, etc. Walked out in the middle of the transaction on that one.

Walgreen's used to give checking out customers the third degree - I stopped shopping there for years because of it.

But pity the poor employees who are given no choice about this and have to put up with the pissed off customers.

The only way to change it is to call the corporate offices and bitch, but even that's not a guarantee.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickerman View Post
Regarding cilantro or parsley in the wrong location, it could also be due to careless customers putting it there after handling it. It happens all the time with other items. I had a customer expect to pay a lower price for some clothing that was simply placed in the wrong location (probably by another customer), and the price there was less. I would be more likely to steal something than ask for such a thing (and I don't steal).
Oh, we have people trying that with an entire cartload - if it's just one item I can see it being by accident, 15 pairs of pants, though? Not so much. Then there are the folks who peel the clearance sticker off one item and put it on a full-price item.

But yeah, careless customers are a thing.

Speaking of careless - WHY do people dump items they don't want in the little aisle at the check-out? I am standing right there. "I didn't want to bother you?" WTF? I am there to be bothered. You are not bothering me by handing me the pint of ice cream instead of leaving it to melt on the candy bars. Change your mind on that 10 pound bag of potatoes? Please hand it to me instead of dumping it on top of the bin of potato chips. (Both true occurrences). Went round several times with a lady wanting to drop stuff she didn't want on the shelf - no PLEASE hand it to me I said and she's no, I don't want to bother you. No, really, it's less bother if you hand it to me than if I have to go around and pick all the bits out of the candy shelf that you left there.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I am not answering survey questions if I don't feel like answering survey questions. That's not a remotely reasonable thing to require of customers. The rolleyes in this case should be aimed at the company.
It was.

Corporate is having trouble understanding that you can't force feedback out of the customers. Apparently someone wants a measurable metric. Me, I think the fact we're making buttloads of money while situated on a road with about 5 competitors within 5 miles of us is a good metric that we're doing something right, but hey, I just work here.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I guess she must have been even more "not from around here" than I am, but still, why would there be prepackaged mincemeat in front of the place that sells you trout and squid?
Not a complaint:

Some company we deal with packages little squids in a vacuum-packed frozen thing and they look remarkably like a well-known eldritch horror. The first time I saw one I almost blurted out "You're having Chthulhu for dinner?" I mean, wow, the Old Gods just aren't what they used to be....
Old 07-10-2019, 08:22 AM

I've been asked to answer survey questions after a transactions, but never asked to answer them as a condition to letting me complete a transaction. I think the first time a company tried to force me into this would be the last time I shopped there.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Your ID and the information on your credit card account has to really, really, really, definitely match. Just moved? Sorry - I know it's a pain but we can not do this until your ID and account information match. I don't care that the store the next county over let you do that (and personally I am having grievous doubts as to the veracity of your claim), they aren't supposed to do that, we don't allow it, and talking to a manager is not going to change that. We both want to keep our jobs.
What do you do if the ID doesn't have their address on it?
Old 07-10-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

I am a store cashier. I could write a book on this very subject. Some of the routine questions I get asked:

You don't carry (insert item here). Why not? Are you going to get any in the future? Where can I buy it?

Which one of these items is better?

How much is this item (because I'm supposed to know the price of everything in the store)

Do you have any more in the back (I always want to answer this: Yes, we're here to sell things. That's why we hide them).

I'm standing at the register, my light is on, and I'm scanning items. People will come up and ask "Are you open?"

As for people who dump things at the register, I hope there's a special place in hell for them. I swear, there are people who think it's funny to bring things to the register and throw them there. I guess they think we have little elves who return everything to the shelves.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Dear Kroger checker: I really don't give a shit about your correspondence with some Filipina that you met on line, whom you've never met, and who is eagerly awaiting your arrival in Manila when you retire next year. If you're really stupid enough to fall for this scam, you deserve whatever is waiting for you. In the meantime, just keep sending her money, but leave your customers out of your pipe dreams.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Last week I had a customer with her child. Mom was pushing the two level mini-cart up to the register. The customer told me not to ring up the stuff on the bottom, because that section was just pretend shopping her child was doing. The two dozen or so items on the bottom were at least half perishables. We were just supposed to put them back.

I have long ago gotten used to finding the warm $15.00 steak left on the cleaning supply shelf, the empty container of hot bar food discarded on the cereal aisle, the broken jar and glass on the floor where no one claims responsibility.

I have been screamed at over the quality of carrots.

I have also seen customers buy food for strangers. I have seem them randomly help others when they could just walk by. I have seen parents patiently teaching their children manners, or bringing an elderly parent through to help them still interact a little with the outside world. I have been invited to dinner by customers and made many friends through retail interaction.

I sometimes think if you want to understand a person's character, you can learn a lot by watching how they handle themselves in a retail environment.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
A friend of mine once worked at a Dollar Tree. There were always people asking her how much something cost, and if they had item x, with x being something like VCRs or tennis shoes.
There are at least three different chains with "Dollar Something" or "Something Dollar" in their names. At least one of them sells items at varying prices. I don't go into any of them often enough to keep them all straight. And, as somebody who grew up with "five and dime" stores that had for years despite their names sold most of their items at prices other than 5 or 10, I certainly wouldn't leap to assumptions from the name.

IME they also all have wildly shifting inventories, and may or may not have nearly anything at any given moment. I wouldn't even be particularly surprised to find someplace selling junky remaindered tennis shoes for $1; certainly not for within the price range of some stores with "dollar" in their names.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Dear Kroger checker: I really don't give a shit about your correspondence with some Filipina that you met on line, whom you've never met, and who is eagerly awaiting your arrival in Manila when you retire next year. If you're really stupid enough to fall for this scam, you deserve whatever is waiting for you. In the meantime, just keep sending her money, but leave your customers out of your pipe dreams.
I feel for people who are so lonely they are easily scammed. Our store has Western Union and gift card services and there have been dozens of times we have stopped scams from going through because we know the questions to ask. It's not just Kroger checkers who are lonely and easily deceived. It is often the elderly. It is often people who have limited social skills. Sometimes it is just a regular person who has been somehow tricked. These people are victims and those that take advantage of them are Scum.

I am sure you were exaggerating for effect, but trying to help others not be scammed is to my way of thinking the decent thing to do. Just because someone is stupid does not mean they deserve what they get. Both sides on the retail exchange are people just trying to get by in the world. That's good to remember.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
I sometimes think if you want to understand a person's character, you can learn a lot by watching how they handle themselves in a retail environment.
For me one of the most confusing things about dates with some guys who had apparently been taught that "you open doors and pull chairs for your lady" was that they would let go of the door in such a way that it almost slammed in the next person's face, or do the second while barking at the waiter. Apparently, they had some sort of dating checklist; conclusively, they had no actual manners.

Having been a receptionist, I always make sure to treat them well (hey, I know who holds the keys to the office supplies cabinet!). I've heard absolute horror stories from receptionists and cleaning people in hotels. Anybody can be having a bad day, but some stuff goes beyond that and into some sort of sadistic pleasure from screwing up this person who can't do anything about it.

Last edited by Nava; 07-10-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Corporate is having trouble understanding that you can't force feedback out of the customers. Apparently someone wants a measurable metric. Me, I think the fact we're making buttloads of money while situated on a road with about 5 competitors within 5 miles of us is a good metric that we're doing something right, but hey, I just work here.
Quiet, you. With heresy like that, you're just trying to deprive the corporate drones of the reason for their existence, You know -- candidates for the B Ark.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I am a store cashier.

. . .

How much is this item (because I'm supposed to know the price of everything in the store)
If you're a store cashier, you're supposed to be able to scan the UPC on the thing I don't know the price of and tell me what price comes up. (Target stores have those self-service scanner things throughout the store, so I can check prices for myself, but the supermarket does not.)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Yes, and I do if you hand me the item. But I get people twenty feet away asking for the price. "Come on down so I can scan it" is my standard response.

And anyone who asks me anything when I'm handling cash money should be punched out.

While the "we don't take American Express" argument happens a few times each shift, the other day I had a customer get upset because I couldn't take her CostCo cash card. "It's just the same as money." Not here it ain't.

A customer complained because I called her to the register while she was texting. "You should have waited till I finished." She then spoke to the night manager, who didn't even write up the incidence.

The next morning, she called the store and get the day manager, who had no clue what she was talking about. And didn't believe her story until she checked with me and the other manager.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 07-10-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I forget if it was Office Max or Office Depot (doesn't matter now since they've merged anyway) but my spouse and I walked in to buy some copier paper and were subjected to a lengthy questionnaire wanting things like our address, phone number, e-mail, etc. Walked out in the middle of the transaction on that one.
I always try and have fun with those. Put my name in as "Harold Potter", and my email address as "Harry.Potter@cupboardunderthestairs.wiz", and stuff like that.

Or even more offensive; I've done Jeffrey Dahmer, Idi Amin, etc... as well.

That way, some poor IT guy will get a chuckle out of it, and it's equally useless to the company.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am a store cashier. I could write a book on this very subject. Some of the routine questions I get asked:

Do you have any more in the back (I always want to answer this: Yes, we're here to sell things. That's why we hide them).
Hey, just last week I was in the produce section looking for Sugar Snap Peas. There was a spot, but no product.

Found a produce person and asked if there were any in the back. The answer, "sure, I'lll go get some".
Old 07-10-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

I worked retail when I couldn't find other jobs. First time was in an independent computer store owned by one of my brothers and another guy; it was just the three of us in the attic of a converted house. "PC Attic", they called it. A friend of theirs would stop in from time to time, this friend did computer repairs so we referred to him as our repair department. Yeah, any time we got calls asking for the repair department and he was in the store, we gave the phone to him.

I was demonstrating a VGA monitor for a guy and his GF; I pulled up a picture that I knew was relatively safe. My brother later pointed out that the picture of the pretty girl I had pulled up made the GF uncomfortable; I bet everyone would have been really uncomfortable if I had pulled up some of Bro's porn instead!

Later, I worked at a grocery store, helping customers load their cars. One passerby tried to pick a fight with me for accidentally elbowing him when pulling bags out of a cart. Another passerby complained that I was making too much noise when corralling the carts. Then there was the time it was raining and I was in a store-issue yellow slicker; a passerby thought I was a cop and tried to report a nearby purse-snatching.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-10-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
Hey, just last week I was in the produce section looking for Sugar Snap Peas. There was a spot, but no product.

Found a produce person and asked if there were any in the back. The answer, "sure, I'lll go get some".
Yeah, it's not a stupid question, because I've also asked and had things brought out "from the back" for me. My sister also learned to ask the produce guy to cut the whole spaghetti squashes in two for her. They're dangerous to cut on your own!
Old 07-10-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

That's interesting. The store I work out insists everything we have for sale be displayed on the shelves. That's one of the aisle workers main jobs.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
That's interesting. The store I work out insists everything we have for sale be displayed on the shelves. That's one of the aisle workers main jobs.
There's never a time where you have more in stock than will fit on the shelves?

You don't have a store/stock room in your store?

When you take deliveries, it goes right from the truck to the shelves?

Last edited by manson1972; 07-10-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Pretty much. Our shelves are very long and tall, with storage space on the top. The aisle workers are constantly putting out items, and the cashiers help out if the registers are slow. We do have storage shelves "in the back" but it's mostly for larger items and our boxes of aluminum tins, which are the most requested items to buy in bulk.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
Quote:

About 25 years ago, my mother and brother went through a phase during which they were obsessed with eating lychee. My mother bought up all she could find in the local Stop & Shop and then she asked the produce clerk if they had more in the back, which she also bought. After a couple of weeks of this, she was getting calls directly from the regional distribution center to let her know which stores were scheduled to receive shipments. A couple of times, she was instructed to go to the back of the supermarket and ask the stockers to get them for her. (Once as she was clearing the produce aisle out of all of the lychee, another customer looked sadly at the empty bin where they had been. So she left some behind for her to buy.)

In short, sometimes there is stuff in the back.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
At my store everything came in on one truck on multiple pallets during the day, and the majority of stockers came in at night, so there were definitely times when something could have been "in the back" in huge quantities, with none on shelves. Finding someone good enough to look through tons of different items for the one you want, and being able to find and access it quickly, different story.

I doubt there are many stores with enough workers to have everything stocked within minutes of its arrival on the truck, yours apparently is a wonderful exception!

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-10-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:09 PM

See Not Always Right for as many stupid customer stories as you care to read.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
WHY does anyone put money on a moving conveyor belt? What makes sense about that? "Oh, the belt will stop." Riiiiight... I express my doubts and mention seeing the belt eat coupons, placemats, and one time a quarter. One time, we had a $50 bill go under... I am really glad that was one of my days off and I wasn't involved.
I put coupons on the belt because I need to go to the credit card machine and start bagging groceries after unloading on the belt. If I lose a coupon, no biggie. If I didn't put the coupon the belt, chances are I would forget or be too busy to apply it at the end.

Here's an idea that would solve that problem: Make the customer dividers be trays instead of thin strips. You know how they have those strips you can put between your groceries and another customer? If that was a wide tray instead of thin strip, people could put bills, coupons, and coins in it without risk of it going under the lip at the end of the conveyor belt.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I once had a customer who came back to the store complaining that I did not give her her $10 change and receipt. The manager checked the videotape, which clearly showed me giving her the items, which she dropped on her way out of the store. The man behind her picked up the $10 bill but left the receipt, which was still on the floor.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I once had a customer forget what store he was in. Not, "forget which branch of a chain of stores he was in" but "forgot what company he was dealing with". Misidentified my store with Wal-Mart. Then insisted to the person him with him we were a Target. Wrong again.
In college, I would spend winter break working at whatever retail place was hiring. One year, I was working at JCPenney's. On New years weekend a woman came up to return some Levi jeans. (Side note, everyone assumes the worst time working is the weeks leading up to Christmas. Nope, it's the weeks just after christmas that are the worst. Nothing but returns all day long). She didn't have a receipt, but they still had the tags, so I could give her store credit.

Went to scan them. Nothing.
Typed in the UPC. Nothing.
Looked them up in our store catalog. Nothing.

I told her I couldn't return them without a receipt, so she proceeded to dig around her purse for five minutes until she found it. It was from Kohls. Now this happens pretty often, and usually results in the customer sheepishly realizing their mistake and walking away. Not this one.
"You bought these at Kohls."
"Yep."
"This is a JCPenney's"
"And?"
"You can't return items to a completely different company than the one you bought them from."
"Why not?"

Quote:
Pretty much. Our shelves are very long and tall, with storage space on the top. The aisle workers are constantly putting out items, and the cashiers help out if the registers are slow. We do have storage shelves "in the back" but it's mostly for larger items and our boxes of aluminum tins, which are the most requested items to buy in bulk.
Macy's is the same way. Whenever someone asked if something was in the back, I wandered to the empty stockroom, took a five minute break, and then told them we were all out.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

I wish I had that luxury. All I can do is call the aisle worker, who is going to push some buttons on their device, look at the screen and say "We're out."

One of our hard and fast rules "Do not give any price information over the phone." Yet recently I had to repeat "I cannot give prices over the phone" five times to a stupide person who could not seem to comprehend that statement.

And I had this phone exchange once:

Do you ship to Ohio?
No, I'm sorry, we do not ship items.
What about to Vermont?
Old 07-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
I put coupons on the belt because I need to go to the credit card machine and start bagging groceries after unloading on the belt. If I lose a coupon, no biggie. If I didn't put the coupon the belt, chances are I would forget or be too busy to apply it at the end.

Here's an idea that would solve that problem: Make the customer dividers be trays instead of thin strips. You know how they have those strips you can put between your groceries and another customer? If that was a wide tray instead of thin strip, people could put bills, coupons, and coins in it without risk of it going under the lip at the end of the conveyor belt.
Even easier: Put your coupons on top of another item being checked. So you set down a box of cookies and put the coupons on that. Cashiers always see it.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
I've been asked to answer survey questions after a transactions, but never asked to answer them as a condition to letting me complete a transaction. I think the first time a company tried to force me into this would be the last time I shopped there.
Ditto.

At the chain where I grocery shop you can go online when home with the reciept, and fill out a survey. You can do this once every seven days, and get fifty points for filling it out, plus a point per dollar of purchases. One hundred points gets 10 cents off per gallon of gas at the station. So i fill those surveys out, because it usually saves me thirty or forty cents per gallon.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I'm convinced that this is at least 50% of the reason Radio Shack went out of business
Old 07-10-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I wish I had that luxury. All I can do is call the aisle worker, who is going to push some buttons on their device, look at the screen and say "We're out."
I'm cool with this. Because I know Target doesn't put all the desks they have for sale out on the shelf. They usually put one of each color/type. Same with TVs or other large items.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

One of our hard and fast rules "Do not give any price information over the phone." Yet recently I had to repeat "I cannot give prices over the phone" five times to a stupide person who could not seem to comprehend that statement.
Not retail but customer service related to my current job, in a different division from where I am now. Caller had previously sent in some documents and discovered an error in them; he wanted me to make a correction over the phone. Thing is, that division requires all submissions, including corrections, to be in writing.

He refused to accept the fact that we needed a paper trail and I couldn't make a correction based on a phone call. He eventually got tired of hearing that he had to make a written submission and hung up, then called my supervisor and claimed I had hung up on him! He could have spent less time sending a fax than he spent on the phone with us.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
I feel for people who are so lonely they are easily scammed. Our store has Western Union and gift card services and there have been dozens of times we have stopped scams from going through because we know the questions to ask. It's not just Kroger checkers who are lonely and easily deceived. It is often the elderly. It is often people who have limited social skills. Sometimes it is just a regular person who has been somehow tricked. These people are victims and those that take advantage of them are Scum.

I am sure you were exaggerating for effect, but trying to help others not be scammed is to my way of thinking the decent thing to do. Just because someone is stupid does not mean they deserve what they get. Both sides on the retail exchange are people just trying to get by in the world. That's good to remember.
As do I, but that's probably a topic for a different thread. I, probably like a percentage of people that rapidly approaches 100%, just want to buy my bag of chips, perhaps exchange a pleasantry, and head home. Someone's story about what is almost guaranteed to be a scam is just depressing to me, knowing that there is no person on the planet that can talk him out of his plans.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to ask you five times, but I'm curious so I'm going to ask once: why do they forbid you to give out price information? Do they think this will force people to come in to the store? I'd think it would be more likely to cause customers to spend their travel time going somewhere else that would answer the question.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I'm not going to ask you five times, but I'm curious so I'm going to ask once: why do they forbid you to give out price information? Do they think this will force people to come in to the store? I'd think it would be more likely to cause customers to spend their travel time going somewhere else that would answer the question.
I was curious about this too, but it would prevent customers coming in and saying "They told me on the phone that it was 3 for $1!!!!!!" or something similar.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
WHY does anyone put money on a moving conveyor belt? What makes sense about that?
Because counter space seems to be disappearing at all kinds of stores.

I've been noticing this more and more. I carry a knapsack around with me a lot, and frequently there is no place at all to put it down and take out my money. This goes for supermarkets (often there's a small platform about half the size of a license plate by the computer dingus that you stick your card in) and mom & pop stores with counters. I suppose they see that as prime space to display wares, because frequently there's little to no space available to even put down my man purse. One of these days I'm going to be annoyed enough to abandon my transaction because there's simply no way for me to conduct one.

Last edited by Llama Llogophile; 07-10-2019 at 03:01 PM.