Old 07-11-2019, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
And if you're the customer buying something that you don't know what it is, um, why?
I get several gringos a week buying random hot peppers - they don't know the name, just that they're capsicum peppers. But at least we can all figure out they're hot peppers. It narrows it down at least. All I can figure is that they are either making a hobby of tasting every pepper we sell, or they aren't fussy how they get the spicy heat in their dinner.

There are also some folks who don't speak English as a first language. They can name what they're buying just fine - just not in a language we both find mutually intelligible. I try to help customers regardless of national origin, and sometimes that means turning to another cashier (or even customer!) and asking "do you know the English term for this?"
Old 07-11-2019, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
But things like raw turmeric are not common in this area (and new cashiers often mistake it for ginger root, except where they don't know what that looks like, either), I was the only one in the store that could identify rambutans, the seven types of greens we sell all look very similar (mustard, two types of kale, collard, turnip, beet, dandelion).
D'oh! Forgot the spinach! Make that nine types of greens. Unless I remember yet another we carry in the next 10 minutes.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
the arrival of jackfruit is a legendary example
Just because the things look like hard, spiky, misshapen, overlarge footballs....
Old 07-11-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I get several gringos a week buying random hot peppers - they don't know the name, just that they're capsicum peppers. But at least we can all figure out they're hot peppers. It narrows it down at least. All I can figure is that they are either making a hobby of tasting every pepper we sell, or they aren't fussy how they get the spicy heat in their dinner.

There are also some folks who don't speak English as a first language. They can name what they're buying just fine - just not in a language we both find mutually intelligible. I try to help customers regardless of national origin, and sometimes that means turning to another cashier (or even customer!) and asking "do you know the English term for this?"
Ah, I didn't think about these instances. "What is that" "A pepper, can't you tell" "Yes, but is it a ghost pepper or a fresno?" https://www.foodnetwork.com/star-tal...er-cheat-sheet
Old 07-11-2019, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Go back and re-read my post. This is for situations where someone does not have a physical card on them and are asking to access their line of credit. We do all the double-checking to prevent fraud.
I did re-read your post and it said
Quote:
Your ID and the information on your credit card account has to really, really, really, definitely match. Just moved? Sorry - I know it's a pain but we can not do this until your ID and account information match.
No mention of not having the card. If they don't have the card, I get it.

Last edited by CookingWithGas; 07-11-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Nothing in that cite is any different than the VISA and MasterCard merchant contracts I had on my desk in 1998. Merchants may ask for but not require ID. If the card is not signed they ask for ID and ask the customer to sign the card, which is not valid without a signature.

(And writing "see ID" instead of a signature is still stupid. If you report your card lost or stolen, you have zero liability. If someone steals your card, and you don't report it stolen, and the theif manages to forge the signature on the back of your card, you are still only liable for the first $50 by federal law, and most banks will not hold you liable at all.)
Old 07-11-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
Nothing in that cite is any different than the VISA and MasterCard merchant contracts I had on my desk in 1998. Merchants may ask for but not require ID.
Cool. Unfortunately, in your previous post, you said merchants may not ask for ID, not that they couldn't make it a condition of acceptance.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Cool. Unfortunately, in your previous post, you said merchants may not ask for ID, not that they couldn't make it a condition of acceptance.
You are correct, I spoke too soon.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:33 PM

when I worked at macy's. a woman with her husband wandered around for a while and then asked me where the restaurant was; I told her it was one floor down. She then told me it has to be on this floor. I then pointed out that she walked all over the floor but didn't see it (her poor husband just shook his head), but she finally went downstairs
Old 07-11-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I can sympathize with this question. Plenty of us are still around who spent a good deal of our lives before logistics got all modernized and stuff, and stores did in fact have a ton of stuff in the back, because otherwise they'd have to wait for the next delivery, several days away, before re-stocking the shelves.

Not everybody's gotten the memo that 'in the back' no longer exists, because logistics systems are so good that you don't need it anymore.
Again, except for where it does exist. Every single time an item I wanted was not on the shelf at Trader Joeís, Iíd ask an employee if they had any more and they would all say, ďIíll go check in the back,Ē and head to the stockroom. Half the time theyíd come back with a box full of what I was asking for.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:13 PM

Her: "The sign over there says all sizes 79 cents. If that's not true you need to change your signs!"

Me: "You mean that great big sign on the wall that says all sizes to XL? Or the sign over here that says all sizes to XL?"

Her: "Well the one on the machine says ALL SIZES".

Me: "No, it doesn't"

Her: "Are you calling me a liar?"

Me: "No, I'm telling you you're wrong."

Today we had a guy drive off without paying for gas. Right in front of me as I was talking to him asking if he was going to go in and pay for it. While we had multiple police officers in the store.

He's in jail tonight, no bail, see a judge tomorrow.

Because he was also driving on a suspended license, with no insurance. And mouthy. Tried to tell the cop it was the cop's fault he didn't pay for gas. Although the cop wasn't involved until AFTER he drove off without paying. Oh, and he sped off through two stop signs without stopping.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Frankly, I don't understand it either. Why would a shop have a policy like this?

If I was told this over the phone, I'd question it too. It seems so strange that I might well think the other person must be mistaken, or they had misunderstood the question, or were just too lazy to look up the price for me.
In the pre-internet days, this is how people price shopped without having to leave their home. The same reasoning applies to "Too low to advertise" sales where you have to either go into the store or put the item in your online cart before it shows. The logic being that once you've gone that far, you're less likely to go somewhere else.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:20 AM

Another reason is you're less likely to talk about competitor's prices in-store vs mentioning it to over the phone. How often do you get to the checkout and say "Store X has it for $10 less!". Even if you talk to a manager and threaten to go to another store, it's unlikely they'll price match unless they really want/need the sale.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
I did re-read your post and it said

No mention of not having the card. If they don't have the card, I get it.
Try this post:
Quote:
Depends on the nature of the transaction.

For most, but not all, credit card transactions we do not require an ID.

For some we do, and if we ask for it your ID better match up with you and any other information we may need has to be up to date. Note I did not specify what form of ID is required. If your military ID or passport has the information we need and it is up to date and accurate then yes, you can use it.

This most commonly comes up when someone wants to use the option where they do not have their physical credit card on them. They can still use their line of credit, but that one requires their name, address, etc. all match up with what is currently on the system. If it doesn't you will not be able to make a credit card purchase at that time.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Another one: I am not having a good day, and I ring up over $300 for a guy who says "I'll just take these to the car" and starts walking out.

I get in front of the cart and say "Not without paying you won't." Worse than retail stupidity is thinking the cashier is stupid.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not everybody's gotten the memo that 'in the back' no longer exists, because logistics systems are so good that you don't need it anymore.
Was that a memo? I thought it was an e-mail. Or a text.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Was that a memo? I thought it was an e-mail. Or a text.
The memos are all stored in a box in the back. They haven't been distributed yet.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Not everybody's gotten the memo that 'in the back' no longer exists
In my immediate experience and in 2019, among the places that haven't gotten that memo are Tops groceries and Verizon phone stores; both of which recently went and found me something in the back.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
That's interesting. The store I work out insists everything we have for sale be displayed on the shelves. That's one of the aisle workers main jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Again, except for where it does exist. Every single time an item I wanted was not on the shelf at Trader Joeís, Iíd ask an employee if they had any more and they would all say, ďIíll go check in the back,Ē and head to the stockroom. Half the time theyíd come back with a box full of what I was asking for.
I find that this is very common, especially in grocery stores and especially with specialty or novelty items. My local grocery carries some really tasty cheese spreads. Iím sure they buy them in huge containers which they refrigerate, and then they transfer them to the retail containers on a daily basis. Maybe they put out 12 clamshells of each flavor daily. Then someone like me comes along and decides to stock up. I pick up 6. A couple of other people buy a few. Then someone else is looking for the item and notices theyíre out. Itís easy enough to ask a deli employee to go in the back and prepare a few more containers.

And some stores just get shopped really hard and the guys restocking the shelves just canít keep up.

I sympathize with the customer on the produce issue, too. Especially with tomatoes and oranges. Because my grocery is going to have a dozen varieties. And I select them based on a combination of appearance and price. I may not notice which variety Iím picking up. The piece of fruit itself should (and usually does) have a sticker that identifies it. But if it doesnít, itís not on me.

And Iím also the person that frequently forgets what store Iím in, especially if itís a chain drugstore. They all look alike inside. Iím not that bad if itís a CVS, but I frequently donít remember if Iím in a Duane Reade or Rite-Aid, the logos use the same colors. If thereís nothing identifying at the counter, sometimes I have to ask as Iím pulling out the loyalty card.

And if a store made me complete a questionnaire to complete a purchase, Iíd leave it all on the counter and walk out of the store. Iím surprised thereís not more pushback on that one.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
When I shop at Fred Meyer (local Portland chain acquired a few years ago by Kroger) it's almost always because I'm out of quart bottles of heavy cream that I use for my coffee. ...could go fuck themselves.
Just had to respond. When I lived up in Seattle, I adored Freddies. But, they were almost always out of half and half. This was an ongoing problem for the whole time I lived there (15+ years).

Maybe as a city we just drank too much coffee...?
Old 07-12-2019, 10:56 AM

Hello Broomstick (OP)

Thanks for the fun thread. From your detailed post, I think I know the name of the store you work at. And there's one between my office at Purdue (WL) and home. But do I shop there? Not often...various beefs, all could be generalilzed as issues I have with retail in general, but particularly bad at this store:

1. So many self-checkout kiosks, so few cashiers. I prefer to have a real person ring my stuff up. That, or accept a $5 discount for doing the work myself. Any takers? No? Thought not. (I firmly believe self-serve kiosks should be avoided if you have more than 2 or 3 items. Principles...)

2. The dumb survey questions at the end of the transaction? I usually answer them, but did not realize they were mandatory now. Geez! Maybe I'll use these guys even less than before.

3. The location of common products was frequently baffling, to the extent that I usually visited the local Kroger-owned store (different name) because at least I could figure out where everything is...that despite the fact that this Kroger store has been under construction for the last two years. For example, when I first moved here, I pretty much gave up on finding olive oil (so common for cooking) at your store. The best I could find was some sort of weird olive oil blend. Later, spouse and I figured out that olive oil was in a different aisle, away from the other oils. Why?

Last edited by Limmin; 07-12-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I've all but given up on large DIY stores such as Lowe's and Home Dopey. If you don't know exactly where something is located in those stores, there is a very small likelihood that any employee there knows, either. At Ace, every employee in the store, with the possible exception of the cashiers, knows were everything is located and how it's used. Granted, they're smaller stores, but they train their employees.

The last time I was in a HD, it went something like this (once I was able to corner an employee):

Me: (standing in aisle 8) Can you tell me where I can find XXX?
He: (Looking around aimlessly) Ummm. . .I think that's in aisle 43.
(tromptromptromp to aisle 43)
He: Nope, I don't see it. Hey, Bob, do you know where we stock XXX?
Bob: (looking around aimlessly) Ummm. . .I think that's in aisle 3, Stan.
(tromptromptromp to aisle 3)
He: Well, I don't see it here, either. Hey, Rich, do know where we stock XXX?
Rich: Ummm. . .lessee. . .I think that's in aisle 54.
Me: Y'know what? I can wander around aimlessly all by myself, trying to guess where things are. Is there anyone who actually knows where this might be?
He: Ummm. . . . . . . . . .

I left without it. That's been at least ten years ago and I'll never return.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

I wanted to buy a wall clock, so I went to Target (which had a cheap one for three bucks) but could not find it. So I went home, went to the website and bought it for in-store pickup. Went back after a hour and it was right there at the customer service desk.

At this point, given how common smartphones are, it should be possible to use an app to be guided to the thing you're looking for.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

You're assuming that the stocker put it in the correct place on the shelf with that. If they didn't, with the on-line shop/in-store pickup it will be store employee wandering around looking for the fool thing instead of you.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

How is that a bad thing?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I've all but given up on large DIY stores such as Lowe's and Home Dopey. If you don't know exactly where something is located in those stores, there is a very small likelihood that any employee there knows, either. .
I have had this experience about half the time. The other half I am lucky to find a person who understands exactly what I want and knows where it is.

Yesterday I went to the HD web site, entered my store, looked up two items I wanted, and each page showed the aisle and bin number where the items are stocked. There is an option to text it to your phone. I went to the store, looked at my phone, went directly to the locations. In and out in about 3 minutes.

Most of the staff still don't know anything outside their one aisle of expertise but it's a better experience than it was 10 years ago.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limmin View Post
Thanks for the fun thread. From your detailed post, I think I know the name of the store you work at.
Maybe... maybe not. I am not naming or acknowledging the name of my employer in this thread because it's exactly the sort of discussion that can get me in trouble with HR if it's too obvious who I'm talking about.

Quote:
1. So many self-checkout kiosks, so few cashiers. I prefer to have a real person ring my stuff up. That, or accept a $5 discount for doing the work myself. Any takers? No? Thought not. (I firmly believe self-serve kiosks should be avoided if you have more than 2 or 3 items. Principles...)
Oh, I agree - the self-serve really isn't for full size orders, just the smaller ones. And ones that don't require human assistance to process. Yet we see people pull up with three large carts full of stuff and try to run it through self-serve. Ye, gads.

Anyhow - we our latest remodel they pulled six or eight of the self-serve lanes out because people such as yourself wanted more human-run lanes. They are scheduling more human cashiers, but that doesn't mean there are really enough of us on the floor any given day/time.

Quote:
2. The dumb survey questions at the end of the transaction? I usually answer them, but did not realize they were mandatory now. Geez! Maybe I'll use these guys even less than before.
If you don't answer the question the cashier will do it for you after you walk off. Which is the only way we can get this stupidity to "work".

Quote:
3. The location of common products was frequently baffling, to the extent that I usually visited the local Kroger-owned store (different name) because at least I could figure out where everything is...that despite the fact that this Kroger store has been under construction for the last two years. For example, when I first moved here, I pretty much gave up on finding olive oil (so common for cooking) at your store. The best I could find was some sort of weird olive oil blend. Later, spouse and I figured out that olive oil was in a different aisle, away from the other oils. Why?
Huh. Unless it's a super-special important with, say, the other Greek or Italian foods it's either with the other oils in baking or with the salad dressing. So... that would be olive oil in at least two of the three possible locations. In my store. You may just have a bad local store.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I wanted to buy a wall clock, so I went to Target (which had a cheap one for three bucks) but could not find it. So I went home, went to the website and bought it for in-store pickup. Went back after a hour and it was right there at the customer service desk.

At this point, given how common smartphones are, it should be possible to use an app to be guided to the thing you're looking for.
Quote:
You're assuming that the stocker put it in the correct place on the shelf with that. If they didn't, with the on-line shop/in-store pickup it will be store employee wandering around looking for the fool thing instead of you.
Quote:
How is that a bad thing?
It's not bad for you. It just means that if you came to the store in person and were relying on an app to show you where an item is located it may not work as you had hoped. If you're doing a pick-up then no, it doesn't matter to you.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
One hopes that they at least got it within a few feet of where it belongs!
Old 07-12-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Maybe... maybe not. I am not naming or acknowledging the name of my employer in this thread because it's exactly the sort of discussion that can get me in trouble with HR if it's too obvious who I'm talking about.
HR: 'Hey, we found this post on a message board talking about us, do we have any Broomsticks here?

Manager: 'Uhh, broomsticks are in aisle 47 I think?'

Last edited by Filbert; 07-12-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've all but given up on large DIY stores such as Lowe's and Home Dopey. If you don't know exactly where something is located in those stores, there is a very small likelihood that any employee there knows, either. At Ace, every employee in the store, with the possible exception of the cashiers, knows were everything is located and how it's used. Granted, they're smaller stores, but they train their employees.

The last time I was in a HD, it went something like this (once I was able to corner an employee):

Me: Y'know what? I can wander around aimlessly all by myself, trying to guess where things are. Is there anyone who actually knows where this might be?

Last weekend, I had to pick up an item at Home Depot. I googled it first to see how the Home Depot price compared to the Amazon price. It gave me the option to pick it up in my local store, and told me the exact aisle where it was located!

Then I needed to get something from Walmart, and was able to do the same thing...but I had to download the stupid Walmart app to get that info.

So there's that. I generally agree with you, though. I much prefer smaller stores like Ace. However, being smaller, they don't have nearly the same selection as that of the larger stores.

ETA: I guess I should finish reading the thread before posting -- I see that others have posted much the same info.

Last edited by robby; 07-12-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:28 PM

Re: Home Depot employees. Since they rarely have any idea what the item I am asking for is, the suggestion they would actually know where it is is preposterous.

E.g., Teflon plumbing tape in the plumbing department. "Where is it?" Blank look. "Never mind, I'll find it myself."
Old 07-12-2019, 04:06 PM

I have no problem with self-service checkout IF they would work half as good as what the cashiers have at their disposal.

They are especially annoying (& slow) for when you may be buying multiples of an item on sale. "You bought ___, price $1.99, discount 10Ę" It needs to verbalize all of that to me before I can scan another one. I could scan almost as fast as the professionals IF the system would let me & if you try & go just a little too fast for it you get, "Unexpected item in bagging area, please wait for an attendant." It also seems I get that message half the time that I either place my own bag there or remove my full bag. It's not saving me any time if the one attendant needs to come over multiple times. When the cashier rings up my order it doesn't read out the price & the discount, why should it for self checkout?

While you're fixing that bug, don't wait until the very end to give me my discount on items like another store does. Their system calculates full, retail price until after you press <Finish & Pay>.
Ummm, I don't have $300 on me. Oh wait, now that the 'lottery has finished playing' & reducing each price individually, the total is now down to about $16.23.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:

This reminds me of when I sent my wife to Lowe's to get some 1/2" hardware cloth.
Long story short, at least 2 of the 'droids had no idea of what hardware cloth was (this was, of course, a hardware store) and tried to tell her they didn't carry it. She wouldn't take no for an answer and got a third one to find it.

Hardware cloth, at a hardware store. Who'da thunk?
Old 07-12-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excavating (for a mind) View Post
This reminds me of when I sent my wife to Lowe's to get some 1/2" hardware cloth.
Long story short, at least 2 of the 'droids had no idea of what hardware cloth was (this was, of course, a hardware store) and tried to tell her they didn't carry it. She wouldn't take no for an answer and got a third one to find it.

That's a completely non-intuitive name. I've never heard of it, and it's impossible to guess what it means if you don't know. I'm not sure what "she wouldn't take no for an answer" means, but simply explaining that it means a type of wire mesh might be helpful.

Last edited by Riemann; 07-12-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excavating (for a mind) View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
That's a completely non-intuitive name. I've never heard of it, and it's impossible to guess what it means if you don't know. I'm not sure what "she wouldn't take no for an answer" means, but simply explaining that it means a type of wire mesh might be helpful.
I tend to agree. I've never heard of "hardware cloth" before, either. I would refer to this as wire mesh.

On the other hand, Lowes (and Home Depot) both call it hardware cloth on their websites, so it seems like their employees should be able to figure this out.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Hardware-cl...ent=4294817428

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-C...g/N-5yc1vZcd55
Old 07-12-2019, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
HR: 'Hey, we found this post on a message board talking about us, do we have any Broomsticks here?

Manager: 'Uhh, broomsticks are in aisle 47 I think?'
I have been bitching about employers on the internet since 1995 and have escaped being fired for it largely by being very careful and paranoid. See no reason to change that now.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have heard of it and I have bought it, and someone who works in a hardware store should know what it is. If not, then the store has utterly failed to train their employees in the basics. They don't have to be an expert on how to use everything but they should know what it is.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:

Stores don't want it for same reason they keep moving aisles around, they want you to wander through the store and make impulse buys. It may seem random, but there's market research and planning for where things are and where to place them. Walk in to a chain store like 7-11 and despite what you would expect, each store is laid out slightly differently based on demographics.

Sometimes if you go to a store late at night or early in the morning, you'll see the manager with a map of where everything goes.

Last edited by lingyi; 07-13-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
I have been bitching about employers on the internet since 1995 and have escaped being fired for it largely by being very careful and paranoid. See no reason to change that now.
They were simply making a joke based on your username and the theme of the thread. No one was criticizing you. Lighten up, Francis.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcWoman View Post
I try to be more charitable toward my customers than calling them stupid, but I've noticed that they contact me for what I consider an odd reason a lot. My shop is online, and it has a pretty typical checkout process:

1. enter your shipping address
2. select your preferred shipping speed/carrier (which also shows shipping costs)
3. enter your billing address and credit card info
4. click the purchase button

What people do is email me asking me for a shipping estimate. They'll say something like "how much do you charge to ship to NY" or Canada or wherever. I explain to them the above and that they can see the shipping options and pick whichever one they want, and if they don't like any of them they can bail out without harm.

It makes me wonder if there are other online shops that collect the billing info first which is making people nervous about being "caught" before they know what the shipping will be.
98 percent of internet places dont tell you the shipping until the last possible second and youve entered your info you needed to ....

Last edited by nightshadea; 07-13-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:45 AM

I ordered Aquaman with store pickup because it eas on a mega sale for a sort of relative as an Easter gift from target ...they said it was ready so we went to pick it up taking uber ...... which is a six dollar trip
They didnt have it ready or at all in the store ...apparently they scanned 25 copies of it in inventory and after that they were never seen again ...

I called target corporate through the website and apparently, there was an investigation that raised some hell but I never did get the 20$ gift card they promised ........the regional manager said ..." either there's a box in a corner.. or someone made some money at the swap meet that weekend ......"

Last edited by nightshadea; 07-13-2019 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:52 AM

There used to be a local supermarket that boasted about having no stockroom. There were no shelves. Everything was stacked in their shipping cartons and you had to bag your own groceries. If you didn't see on the floor, there was no "in the back". Without shelves, the goods were really a mess, dented cans and without labels. And what you think is an extra case of something below, is a different product. Also, since most people that don't it all day, having customers bag their own groceries was really slow. The store lasted only a few years in that configuration before it was switched to regular style supermarket.

On the other hand, warehouse stores like Costco have figured out the minimal "in the back" wasted space by stacking as much as they can up top on their super high shelves. Once something is sold out or almost sold out, the space is filled with another pallet of goods, sometimes, but rarely out of place.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

I suppose it's better than wholesale stupidity.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

One thing the cashiers at my store are required to know is the general merchandise in every aisle, and the aisle worker who handles it. Want summer stuff? Aisle 10. Can't find what you want? Esther to the front for customer assistance.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
On the other hand, warehouse stores like Costco have figured out the minimal "in the back" wasted space by stacking as much as they can up top on their super high shelves. Once something is sold out or almost sold out, the space is filled with another pallet of goods, sometimes, but rarely out of place.
Actually, I saw a clickbait article that claimed that Costco makes a point of moving stuff around the store, not to make it hard to find but instead to force you to wander the store.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:05 AM

Charter Member

snip

"Yes, there are some traces of dirt on your ORGANIC potatoes. That is what they grow in. Let me tell you about what mushrooms grow in...."

snip

Or what lobsters eat!
Old 07-13-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can see that, but what about Velcro? Ever heard of it? Is there anybody on the continent who has never heard of it? Why yes, yes there is. The Sears employee I spoke to some years ago had no idea what it was. I even described what it looks like and sounds like when you pull it apart, and that it was used on practically every fucking thing from shoes to watchbands to wallets to jacket closures. Still had no clue. By the time the conversation was done, my wife was pulling me away because I was really losing it with this moron.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Targetís app does tell you where an item is. For instance I just searched and at my local store, their $3.99 wall clock is in aisle E29.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Actually, I saw a clickbait article that claimed that Costco makes a point of moving stuff around the store, not to make it hard to find but instead to force you to wander the store.
I've seen an article in Consumer Reports about how grocery stores do this all the time for just this purpose.

But Costco is the rare store that doesn't seem to do this. I've been going to the same one for 15 years and I haven't seen them move categories of items more than an aisle since I've been going there.

Never halfway across the store, the way my Kroger just did for a good portion of its items just recently