Old 07-17-2019, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
Interesting about using independent contractors. Makes sense since AFAIK, most of the employees in chain supermarkets are union. I hadn't thought about tipping for delivery (haven't done it yet, but I got some coupons). There goes my $10 off delivery!
Tipping is not required for delivery. It is certainly a nice thing to do, but the shoppers/deliverers are getting paid for their work. Tipping is a bonus and in most cases means less to them than having a good rating/feedback on the software.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:46 AM
Charter Member

I've been filling in at the gas station for a couple days for a co-worker who is out on medical leave (she got mugged leaving her shift and broke her wrist, as well as having the crap scared out of her). Here are a couple of gas station stupidities I encountered, some of which overlap with retail in general.

Ladies who have artificial nails so long and thick, combined with teeny tiny purses/wallets with tight compartments resulting in someone being unable to extract money/ID's/whatever from said purses/wallets.

If you know you look so young that you are likely to be carded for tobacco products, to the point you lean over the counter and ask "You're going to card me for the tobacco, aren't you?" have your proof of age ready. Seriously. Don't leave it in the car. Maybe the gal I'm filling in for knows you as a regular but you can't count on the counter people being your old friends because this is retail and schedules change. After I say yes, I'm going to card you don't turn to your companion and announce "Hey, I need you to buy some Swisher Sweets for me" because I am not allowed to sell tobacco to someone else knowing they're purchasing it for someone who is/might be underage. Yes, I know it's hotter than hell out there and walking to and from the car is going to be miserable (and that was no hyperbole yesterday, it was horrible), but girl, you are an adult and you know better.

I have discovered that regular/heavy lottery players have a jargon all their own. Mumbling this at high speed makes filling your order a challenge. Don't get pissy when we repeat back what you asked for. We're not doing it to annoy you, we're doing it to make sure you get what you ask for.

No, young man, we do not sell weed. That is the next state over, 5 miles that way, and not until next year. We are, however, happy to sell you as many snack food items as you desire.

Had a young guy show up asking for our cheapest lighter, which comes to $1.06 with tax. He only had 88 cents. He then asked if he could use one, then bring it back when he was done. No, you can't, please put that back on the display rack. (He then went from car to car out by the pumps asking for a light. Because asking someone to flick on an open flame while re-fueling struck him as a really good idea or something.)

OH, and a long-standing pet peeve. When I can't hear someone and I say "I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that, could you say it again a little louder?" WTF is it with the people (usually, but not always old ladies) who then leaner closer and whisper the repeat? Sort of the opposite of "please speak louder". Seriously, WTF is up with that?
Old 07-26-2019, 08:55 AM

Re ID for credit transactions:
Note that in most cases, merchants cannot (and therefore hopefully do not) require ID for a signed credit card. It's part of the merchant agreement. Exceptions include places like UPS, who are taking something from you and shipping it, and therefore have a different relationship than simply selling you something.

Which doesn't mean that clueless management hasn't told cashiers to check ID for some/all transactions, so don't yell at them if they do.

Last edited by phs3; 07-26-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:07 AM

My pet peeve is stores rearranging the produce section constantly. I don't mean for seasonal--that makes sense. I mean when they decide to move the lettuce from the left front to the right rear, apparently just because someone was bored.

I fail to see how this is good for anyone:
- makes the stockers have to relearn where to put stuff (with attendant errors)
- makes regular customers have to search for things that they were there to buy already
- does nothing good or bad for non-regular customers

I understand theories about "Make them tour the store so they buy more stuff". But within a single section? I'd like to see some data that supports "rearranging increases sales". If it exists, I'll shut up. But I'll still be irritated.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Would this be the proper place to complain about running into a store and buying 2 to 4 items and ending up with a receipt that is 18 to 24 inches long? Because there are two drug store chains in my area that do this.
I bet one of those drug stores rhymes with BVS, right?
Old 07-26-2019, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I work at a store. I have even worked in the area that does the shuffling. Yes, they DO deliberately reshuffle the store so you will spend more time in it looking for stuff. Yes, they know it annoys you, but it generates sufficiently more revenue that the trade-off between more money and annoyance comes down on the side of "make more money".
I often stop at the local Stater Bros. on my way home from work to pick up a necessity or two. I get off work at 10:30 p.m., and Stater Bros. closes at 11:00 p.m. Pretty sure they DON'T want me spending extra time in the store. They really ought to change the layout every night at about 10, so that when I get there (usually about 10:45) I can find my stuff and get out...
Old 07-26-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Ladies who have artificial nails so long and thick, combined with teeny tiny purses/wallets with tight compartments resulting in someone being unable to extract money/ID's/whatever from said purses/wallets.
Yeah, that one mystifies me too.

Quote:
If you know you look so young that you are likely to be carded for tobacco products, to the point you lean over the counter and ask "You're going to card me for the tobacco, aren't you?" have your proof of age ready. Seriously. Don't leave it in the car. Maybe the gal I'm filling in for knows you as a regular but you can't count on the counter people being your old friends because this is retail and schedules change. After I say yes, I'm going to card you don't turn to your companion and announce "Hey, I need you to buy some Swisher Sweets for me" because I am not allowed to sell tobacco to someone else knowing they're purchasing it for someone who is/might be underage. Yes, I know it's hotter than hell out there and walking to and from the car is going to be miserable (and that was no hyperbole yesterday, it was horrible), but girl, you are an adult and you know better.
Yesterday this guy came in and asked for cigarettes. I asked for his ID. It had expired the day before. Sorry, no can do. I'm not allowed to sell to anyone with an expired ID and my district manager was standing right behind me. Not that I would have done it, but really now.

Had a kid come in about a month ago with his girlfriend and try to buy tobacco. His girlfriend was underage, so the manager who was at the register refused him. He goes outside with the girlfriend, walks in with another friend who was old enough. Didn't even get to the register when I yelled "NO" and we started laughing at him. Just fucking dumb.

Quote:
I have discovered that regular/heavy lottery players have a jargon all their own. Mumbling this at high speed makes filling your order a challenge. Don't get pissy when we repeat back what you asked for. We're not doing it to annoy you, we're doing it to make sure you get what you ask for.
Yup, I stop people and tell them to wait while I get the last couple of things they said. Some of them get pissy about it. Too fucking bad. I can't remember all of the 8 different things you rattled off in 5 seconds and I've learned my lesson in printing off the wrong on-line games.

And I really, really, REALLY FUCKING HATE scratch-off players who walk up to the counter, sigh heavily and start looking over the possible games. Especially when there's a line of people behind them. NO, I'm not going to allow you to stand at my register for 10+ minutes slowly picking out scratch-off cards during the height of the after-work rush. No, I don't give a fuck if you get mad and stomp out saying you'll complain about me or never come back. Fuck off and go away with that shit. I've probably had a half-dozen people say they'll complain to corporate about me in the last year and you know what? Corporate has never come to me with any customer complaints.

Quote:
No, young man, we do not sell weed. That is the next state over, 5 miles that way, and not until next year. We are, however, happy to sell you as many snack food items as you desire.
Had a guy walk into the store a couple of months ago and ask me for a plastic bag. Proceeded to pull out a bag with about a half pound of weed in it and put it in the bag I gave him. Then go out in the parking lot, hang out and try to sell it. I had to go out and tell him to GTFO store property or I'd call the cops.

Quote:
Had a young guy show up asking for our cheapest lighter, which comes to $1.06 with tax. He only had 88 cents. He then asked if he could use one, then bring it back when he was done.
Yup, heard that a few times.

Quote:
OH, and a long-standing pet peeve. When I can't hear someone and I say "I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that, could you say it again a little louder?" WTF is it with the people (usually, but not always old ladies) who then leaner closer and whisper the repeat? Sort of the opposite of "please speak louder". Seriously, WTF is up with that?
That's where I completely ignore what they've said and move on. Most of the time they don't say anything more.

Previous store I worked at didn't have any parking spots directly in front of the store due to the small-lot layout. I had to tell morons they couldn't park in the clearly marked NO PARKING ZONE in front of our doors several times a day. No, I don't give a fuck if you're just buying a soda or a pack of cigs. I give negative fucks if you're just coming in to use the restroom and not buy anything. You don't get to park 4' from our front door because you're a lazy, entitled motherfucker.

If you're hanging around the store for 20-30 minutes and keep walking back and forth down the same aisles, or worse, every damned aisle, you're fucking shoplifting. You know it, I know it. Don't pretend you're waiting for a friend or have time to kill. Don't get mad when I and my co-workers start mysteriously having to 'work' in every area where you're walking until you leave the store.

If you keep looking at me while you're walking around the store, you're fucking shoplifting. Try to be less obviously guilty.

No, we're not going to break that $20 or $100 bill for you without you buying anything. We had a rash of counterfeits last winter and we're not a fucking bank. Likewise, don't walk up and ask me if you can 'buy' rolls of quarters. We get them for change, not for giving them away. Again, we're not your bank. Conversely, don't ask me to accept your rolls of coins in payment. I have no idea if there's actually $10 in quarters in that roll or only $9.25.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:27 AM

For ID silliness, I once had a guy produce a letter from the Israeli embassy, and try to use that as proof of age to buy alcohol. He really wouldn't take no for an answer either and kept claiming it was as good as a passport.

Chimera, I managed to convince several of the security guys in multiple local supermarkets that I was shoplifting- I used to work security myself, and I always automatically checked who was there in case it was someone I used to work with... Turns out this looks very suspicious, especially if it's a guy who looks really like a former co-worker, so I looked for several seconds, but isn't. Oops. Got followed round the whole store every time I went, but didn't think an explanation would help.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:54 AM

One store that I shop at often has some items that are in stupid locations. Like some of the pet stuff (some cat & dog treats, cat litter, dog leashes, fish & fish tank supplies) is in the very front of the store on one side of the store. While, the other pet supplies (dog & cat food, some more treats) is on the other side of the store, in the grocery section, near the back.
Also, for a long time, feminine hygiene products were in the grocery section across from the milk. I use to work for the card company in this store, and I was asked several times where the pads/ tampons were. They have since been moved closer to the other health & beauty section.
Another weird thing about this store is that some of electronics/ office supply stuff is in the very front of the store, while most of the stuff is in the back.
I guess whoever designed the step up this store wanted shoppers to have to walk throughout the whole store looking for items they needed in hopes they would buy other stuff. There has been talk that the store was going to be remolded for at least the last 10 years.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:24 PM

Layout that irrational would prompt me to take my business to competing stores with filing systems that at least looked like a rational being had put even a few seconds' thought into the matter, rather than letting a drunk chimp throw darts to decide what went where.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phs3 View Post
My pet peeve is stores rearranging the produce section constantly. I don't mean for seasonal--that makes sense. I mean when they decide to move the lettuce from the left front to the right rear, apparently just because someone was bored.

I fail to see how this is good for anyone:
- makes the stockers have to relearn where to put stuff (with attendant errors)
- makes regular customers have to search for things that they were there to buy already
- does nothing good or bad for non-regular customers

I understand theories about "Make them tour the store so they buy more stuff". But within a single section? I'd like to see some data that supports "rearranging increases sales". If it exists, I'll shut up. But I'll still be irritated.
If it's cooler section, some parts of the cooler aren't functioning correctly (too cool or warm) and they're moving the produce to accommodate that. If it's the shelf areas, I've seen fruits moved around for sales or when they're not planning to replenish the stock, moving them to a smaller section.

Otherwise they're just messing with you!
Old 07-26-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Co-worker: If the one dollar bill has MOVIE STUDIO MONEY printed in a banner across the top of the bill it is NOT a real dollar bill. >sigh< Yes, I know, no one every really looks at a one, but still...

It has been added to our collection of Things To Look Out For, part of the training for new cashiers.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:39 PM

Conversely, I had to convince a customer yesterday that yes, those are real $10 bills and yes, they are orange-ish. I didn't just hand you three fakes.

But then, I've had a fair number of recent immigrants/refugees and the occasional tourist ask me what their coins are worth. Had to point out that the gold coin the size of the quarter was not another quarter, it was a dollar coin. (And tell another, No, your five nickels won't pay for that cup of coffee.)
Old 07-26-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Co-worker: If the one dollar bill has MOVIE STUDIO MONEY printed in a banner across the top of the bill it is NOT a real dollar bill. >sigh< Yes, I know, no one every really looks at a one, but still...

It has been added to our collection of Things To Look Out For, part of the training for new cashiers.
Some of those things can be valuable collectors' items. I'd be happy to be paid in them for face value.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
What really worries me about this is the emphasized "again".

I recommend the Customers Suck forum to my fellow customer service types in this conversation.
I used to be there quite often with no problems, but now when I go to the site I get "malicious site" warnings. I usually go there anyway, but it is disconcerting.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:10 PM

I'm a librarian, although my branch doesn't get a lot of action for books, we're always full of people using the public computers. We're a very small, single room building, and you can see every computer when you walk in the front door. At least twice a day somebody walks in and asks me if we have any computers available. I always have to stifle the urge to stand up and broadly gesture to the clearly visible computers right in front of us. Do you see any computers that aren't occupied? Well, there's your answer.

We also sell cheap-o ear buds for a dollar. Kids buy them like candy. I have no idea why they don't just keep the ones they bought the day before. They go through them like kleenex. The ear buds come in four colors: red, white, blue, and pink. I always ask them what color they want. Yesterday a kid asked for the pink ones, then reconsidered after I handed her a pair. She asked me "What do the white ones look like?". That's...kind of a question that answers itself.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Egnu, is there a time limit on computer use at your library? Ours used to be hard to get to, even though we have a lot, because folks would camp out on the for hours at a time. Now there is a three hour daily limit, and you have to be a registered library user. You enter your code and when three hours rolls around it cuts you off. People still bitch about it, even though time warnings show up on your screen. And if you come in for the first time at one hour before closing, NO, YOU DO NOT GET TO STAY TWO HOURS PAST CLOSING!!!

Last edited by Baker; 07-27-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:38 PM

Baker, we don't have a daily limit. You're guaranteed an hour, and if nobody else is waiting in line you can stay on as long as you like. You do need a library card to use the computers, but I have a couple of guest cards for people visiting from out of town. The whole operation is run through a central computer, and if there aren't any currently open computers, you can log in to that and make a reservation for the next available one. That's when the hour time limit kicks in. If there's a waiting list of reservations, the first person to reach the end of their hour gets kicked off in favor of the next person in line. It does give you a time limit warning, but nobody ever pays any attention to them.

Thankfully, the computers automatically shut down five minutes before the library closes. Of course, despite the fact that we close at the same time every day, and make closing announcements 30, 15, and 5 minutes before we close, we still occasionally get the patron who rolls up to the checkout desk at one minute til closing who wants to check out a stack of books and videos despite not having their library card with them. When you look it up (providing they have ID), it will invariably have expired five years ago, and they have $350 in fines from lost items. This person is invariably "close friends with the mayor", and will be indignant if we don't stay there half an hour past closing straightening out their mess and cancelling all their fines.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

I don't know why people don't have their credit or debit card out before they come to the register, or at least check to make sure they have easy access. I'm no fan of ringing up a bunch of merchandise, then having someone say "Oh, I left my wallet in the car." I have to stand there doing nothing while you go get it.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I don't know why people don't have their credit or debit card out before they come to the register, or at least check to make sure they have easy access. I'm no fan of ringing up a bunch of merchandise, then having someone say "Oh, I left my wallet in the car." I have to stand there doing nothing while you go get it.
While the half dozen or more others in line are glaring at the cashier as if it's his/her fault. Some registers do not allow suspending the transaction so the next person in line can be helped, people!
Old 07-27-2019, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

And twice I've had customers who claim they didn't have their credit card, so I put the bags behind me, only to find their children trying to take the bags. I was absolutely livid that anyone would use their children to pull such a stunt, and became quite vocal about it, saying very loudly "You will NOT take those bags. They have NOT been paid for."
Old 07-27-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
My biggest peeve in shopping, which becomes exponentially worse at Christmas, is when people stand there like idiots while all of their merchandise gets rung up and only when they're given a total does it break their little mind coma and they start looking for their money.

Then I get to stand there while women search their suddenly extra dimensional purse for where they put their money, or men have to check every goddamned pocket they have before finding their wallet. FUCK. Stop wasting everyone's time with this shit. You knew you were going to have to pay for it before you even drove to the store. Don't be completely unprepared for it and act surprised and caught off guard when you're asked for money!

And writing a check? You're writing a fucking check, not War and Peace. It shouldn't take you five minutes to do it.

Earlier this week I walked up to a closed register, opened it up and announced that I could take some of the people standing in a line for the other register. Someone walked in the door and walked straight up to me before the woman walking around from the other register got to me and she got all bent out of shape and had to make a lot of noise about it. Tough shit. As that guy said, first come, first served. Then when it is her turn, we complete the transaction, she pays for it, then dawdles at the counter playing with her purse and still complaining about the guy who got there ahead of her, to the point where the guy behind her in line just walked away and went back to the other register. Fuck you, bitch. If you want to complain about something like that, don't be the fucking hypocrite who then wastes the time of the guy behind you.

Last edited by Chimera; 07-27-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egnu Cledge View Post
Thankfully, the computers automatically shut down five minutes before the library closes. Of course, despite the fact that we close at the same time every day, and make closing announcements 30, 15, and 5 minutes before we close, we still occasionally get the patron who rolls up to the checkout desk at one minute til closing
I have heard security guys say they still have to practically pry people away from the computers at closing "I just need a few more minutes!" and "I wasn't warmed"
Old 07-27-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I have heard security guys say they still have to practically pry people away from the computers at closing "I just need a few more minutes!" and "I wasn't warmed"
I never got that call when I worked University Security. I got the calls about people watching porn in front of others and had to trespass them from the campus. Whereupon about half of them would try to tell the police that since they had no other access to a computer, they had every right to use the (private) University's "public" computers. No, no you don't.

And the quick and easy solution to "I'm not done yet" was a simple 'shut off the power to the entire bank of computers'. "Now you are". The library staff did that themselves.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:41 PM

Plus, the people who wait until we are closed to head to the bathroom.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Dear customer: Whether or not those clothing items just rung up are on sale or not, they are ringing up full price. Unfortunately, I do not have the authority or the ability to alter the total by nearly $200 and calling someone in the department will not change that. Calling a manager will not change that. The only way to get a price adjustment that large is to go to customer service. No, calling the Store Director will not change it, either - yes, she can authorize it, but the register will not process it. The transaction has to be transferred to customer service to do this.

If I can not identify the vegetable/fruit you are purchasing I can not ring it up. Yelling "IT'S A DOLLAR SIXTY-NINE A POUND!" does not help because it is not the name of a fruit or a vegetable. Our Corporate Overlords have decreed that we can NOT ring up food items with a per-pound price anymore because it gives the computerized inventory fits. Yelling "IT'S A DOLLAR SIXTY-NINE A POUND!" repeatedly does not change this. Yelling "IT'S A DOLLAR SIXTY-NINE A POUND!" louder does not change this. If I do not have the Magic UPC Number I can not ring your stuff up....
My spouse works retail for a large chain, and:

1. Yes, the manager and event the clerks there can adjust the price on a advertised sale item. They do it all the time. So, your company, by making them go to customer service is making it needlessly complicated. The problem there isnt with the customer, it's with your stores bad policy.

2. At the register there is a little book, with names & pics of the fruits & veggies and the scan code next to it. If your store doesnt have one of these useful items, then again- store policy is bad not consumer. Consumer by saying "IT'S A DOLLAR SIXTY-NINE A POUND" is actually helpful with that little book in cases there are several veggies (like organic vs non) that look similar.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I am not answering survey questions if I don't feel like answering survey questions. That's not a remotely reasonable thing to require of customers. The rolleyes in this case should be aimed at the company.
Yes, I concur, Stupid company rules, not bad customers.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
In college, I would spend winter break working at whatever retail place was hiring. One year, I was working at JCPenney's. On New years weekend a woman came up to return some Levi jeans. (Side note, everyone assumes the worst time working is the weeks leading up to Christmas. Nope, it's the weeks just after christmas that are the worst. Nothing but returns all day long). She didn't have a receipt, but they still had the tags, so I could give her store credit.

Went to scan them. Nothing.
Typed in the UPC. Nothing.
Looked them up in our store catalog. Nothing.

I told her I couldn't return them without a receipt, so she proceeded to dig around her purse for five minutes until she found it. It was from Kohls. Now this happens pretty often, and usually results in the customer sheepishly realizing their mistake and walking away. Not this one.
"You bought these at Kohls."
"Yep."
"This is a JCPenney's"
"And?"
"You can't return items to a completely different company than the one you bought them from."
"Why not?"

Well, maybe. I was given a lovely gift set of mens cologne by a wealthy relative. The scent make me sneeze. All I knew was that she LOVED to shop at Nordstroms, and I knew Nordy's carried it. So, I took it back there. I explained my dilemma. They took a few minutes, made a phone call or two, then had me sign a return form and gave me like $50. The clerk then explained "We dont actually carry this set at Nordstroms, so we had to call a different chain to find out what it was being sold for there." !!! In other words, they cheerfully gave me a refund on a product they didnt sell and didnt carry. (They were a distributor for that line, which was pretty exclusive to high end stores)

Needless to say, I then made it a point to shop there when I could.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
In my immediate experience and in 2019, among the places that haven't gotten that memo are Tops groceries and Verizon phone stores; both of which recently went and found me something in the back.
And Target, and Sprouts, and Ralphs, and ..... well, it's pretty common. Mind you, there does have to be a spot for that product- which appears to be recently emptied by customers.

Because if the spot holds a dozen widgets, and they store gets in a box of a dozen- because that's the only way they are shipped, but there's still four on the shelves as they didnt sell as fat as predicted- then you have four widgets "in the back".

Yes, stores still have some stuff "in the back". No longer as common as before, but it happens.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

If you don't answer the question the cashier will do it for you after you walk off. Which is the only way we can get this stupidity to "work".....
I was working PT at Borders, just to get the discount. Well, it turns out my manager was doing just this. HR and security perp walked her out of the store, leaving me to close and lock up. And I didnt have keys, which created a problem.....
Old 07-27-2019, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post

But finding dried/crystllized ginger will get me so frustrated. I need it for motion sickness (I get that walking, turning a corner, even typing the term), but no store knows where to put it.
..."
Note, it works better than the OTC drug that makes me drowsy!
Old 07-27-2019, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
When I was at Safeway SOP in this scenario was full refund->re-ring entire order at another register->during that, first till is counted up. 99 times out of 100, the checker was exactly right. That 100th time, they undercharged the customer. In 12 years, not once did I ever see it go the customer's way.

That has to be wrong. So many times the register does not show the right price- aka rather the advertised or displayed price. Yes, the clerk didnt make a mistake, but the computer/register did. That happens constantly in retail. So, for you to say "not once in 12 years", either i misunderstand you are you are very mistaken.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Plus, the people who wait until we are closed to head to the bathroom.
Walking out of the store after close, headed to our cars and people come up screaming about how they came to use the restroom and need it right now!

We'd always point them at the OTHER convenience store/gas station that you could see from ours. Then they'd whine about how they hated that place.

Too fucking bad. We've locked the doors, we're going home. We're not unlocking the store, turning off the alarms, clocking back in and standing there so you can pee.

Similarly, people walking up after we've locked the doors, finding them locked and us counting down the drawers, then swearing at us and flipping us off for daring to close the store at the time it's supposed to close.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post

Yes, I'm well aware of what happens to less than perfect fruit in supermarket. This is also the reason why I've heard to never order a fruit or vegetable platter at a hotel. Though of course most of the "ugly fruit" is still perfectly fine and the less then perfect veggies go into stocks, soups or stews.

Our local grocery stores offers bags of uglies for $1, and I often buy a couple. Then, if it goes bad before i get around to it, I have a clear conscience.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
And I really, really, REALLY FUCKING HATE scratch-off players who walk up to the counter, sigh heavily and start looking over the possible games. Especially when there's a line of people behind them. NO, I'm not going to allow you to stand at my register for 10+ minutes slowly picking out scratch-off cards during the height of the after-work rush. No, I don't give a fuck if you get mad and stomp out saying you'll complain about me or never come back. Fuck off and go away with that shit. I've probably had a half-dozen people say they'll complain to corporate about me in the last year and you know what? Corporate has never come to me with any customer complaints.
Carlin had a great routine for that: "Two very important responsibilities, the first one is: keeping people from standing with the door to the refrigerator open for more than 45 minutes at a time. God, that gets me mad - "YOU WANT TO CLOSE THAT GODDAMN DOOR PLEASE? YOU WANT TO CLOSE THE DOOR?! YOU'RE LETTING OUT ALL OF THE COLDNESS I SAVED OVERNIGHT! COME ON, CLOSE THE DOOR!" - you know, some guy smoked eight joints and he's gonna inventory my refrigerator. "Ummmm...Ummm...Uhhh.... "Here, here's fifty dollars- go down to the Burger King. Willya, God! We'll save more than that on electricity alone. Close the goddamn door, willya?" Look, if you wanna know what's in there, why don't you take a Polaroid picture and go away and look at the picture and then come back and figure out what you want. Years ago, we didn't have Polaroid cameras. We had to make an OIL PAINTING of what was in there!"
Old 07-27-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Some of those things can be valuable collectors' items. I'd be happy to be paid in them for face value.
Oh yeah, I was standing at a high priced jewelry counter and a argument arouse- rather loud between a customer and the clerk, since the clerk was telling the customer the bill was counterfeit. My friend then says, loudly "well he (indicating me) is a Treasury Agent and can solve this!" (thanks, "friend", I am not on duty and that's not my department, sigh).

Anyway after both customer and clerk ask me to, I reluctantly take a look at the bill. It's a very old $100 gold note. In nigh perfect shape. And real*. Now if my blabbermouth friend hadn't outed me, I could have just offered them my new and checkable $100 bill in exchange, but noooo. sigh. Anyway, the customer got her jewelry, my friend got to make her purchase, and everyone was happy. almost everyone.

* worth about $500, or so, depending on a lot of things. Certainly more than $100.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:56 PM

It was probably six months ago, but I had a long line of people, was the only person at the register because the only other person was out emptying the outside garbages, when this woman walks up, plops down on one of her elbows, let's out a deep sigh, says she wants some scratch offs and tells the people behind her "this will be a while".

I said "OH HELL NO, get out!". She looked at me in shock and refused to move. I told her I wasn't giving her any scratch offs, get out. She ranted about calling corporate, coming in and talking to my manager, getting me fired, etc. I said "I have a long line of people who need to pay for their gas and go home. If you want to spend 10 minutes looking at scratch off tickets, you can come in when we're not so busy or you can go to that closed register, look at the signs there and make up your mind. But you don't get to stand here and make everyone else wait for you to pick them out." Then I moved on to everyone else while she walked out the door screaming about how she was going to get me fired.

Never heard a word about it.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
When you look it up (providing they have ID), it will invariably have expired five years ago, and they have $350 in fines from lost items. This person is invariably "close friends with the mayor", and will be indignant if we don't stay there half an hour past closing straightening out their mess and cancelling all their fines.
Back when I was in shoe repair the mayor of one of the nearby cities was a regular patron for awhile. Someone tried to pull the "I'm not satisfied and I'm close friends of the mayor" line, at which point the woman behind him in line said "No, actually I don't know you, but even if I did I'd still tell you there's nothing wrong with their work and you need to pay them what you owe them." Yep, she was the mayor.

Only time I've ever seen someone using the "close friends" line get caught with their pants down.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
While the half dozen or more others in line are glaring at the cashier as if it's his/her fault. Some registers do not allow suspending the transaction so the next person in line can be helped, people!
"Suspend transaction, send stuff to service desk, send person to car" is our standard method of handling that. Then on to the next person in line. Most of the time they really do seem to have left it in the car.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:13 PM

Haven't heard it, but my response would be "What makes you think the mayor of this city gets to tell us jack shit about how we run our business?"
Old 07-27-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
"Suspend transaction, send stuff to service desk, send person to car" is our standard method of handling that. Then on to the next person in line. Most of the time they really do seem to have left it in the car.
Yup, we have buttons to either void the entire transaction, or save it and recall it later. Then we set their stuff aside and see if they come back to pay for it. Most of the time they do, but a significant portion of them don't. Either because they left their wallet at home or just decided to leave instead.

Not a big deal.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Back when I was in shoe repair the mayor of one of the nearby cities was a regular patron for awhile. Someone tried to pull the "I'm not satisfied and I'm close friends of the mayor" line, at which point the woman behind him in line said "No, actually I don't know you, but even if I did I'd still tell you there's nothing wrong with their work and you need to pay them what you owe them." Yep, she was the mayor.

Only time I've ever seen someone using the "close friends" line get caught with their pants down.
That would be awesome. They mayor actually was a regular visitor to our library, but sadly never at the same time as one of her "close friends".
Old 07-27-2019, 04:23 PM

chimera : I thought they weighed rolls of coins for accuracy ..

one industry where after my experiences i think the business and the customers deserve each other is the used video game industry see

http://www.actsofgord.com/

although I think some of the accounts are selectively told in the 6 years i worked selling used games and systems i experienced 90 percent of this in some way
Old 07-27-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Quote:
Dear customer: Whether or not those clothing items just rung up are on sale or not, they are ringing up full price. Unfortunately, I do not have the authority or the ability to alter the total by nearly $200 and calling someone in the department will not change that. Calling a manager will not change that. The only way to get a price adjustment that large is to go to customer service. No, calling the Store Director will not change it, either - yes, she can authorize it, but the register will not process it. The transaction has to be transferred to customer service to do this.
My spouse works retail for a large chain, and:

1. Yes, the manager and event the clerks there can adjust the price on a advertised sale item. They do it all the time. So, your company, by making them go to customer service is making it needlessly complicated. The problem there isnt with the customer, it's with your stores bad policy.
I can adjust a price by up to $5 at the register and no more. A manager can adjust it by 10% at the register, and no more. Whether you consider that good policy or not doesn't matter, it's certainly not my choice, it's what my company decided on. Seriously, I have had people ask for reductions in price in the several hundred dollar range. Does your spouse's retail chain allow a cashier to knock $200 off a customer total on their own authority?

Quote:
Quote:
If I can not identify the vegetable/fruit you are purchasing I can not ring it up. Yelling "IT'S A DOLLAR SIXTY-NINE A POUND!" does not help because it is not the name of a fruit or a vegetable. Our Corporate Overlords have decreed that we can NOT ring up food items with a per-pound price anymore because it gives the computerized inventory fits. Yelling "IT'S A DOLLAR SIXTY-NINE A POUND!" repeatedly does not change this. Yelling "IT'S A DOLLAR SIXTY-NINE A POUND!" louder does not change this. If I do not have the Magic UPC Number I can not ring your stuff up.
2. At the register there is a little book, with names & pics of the fruits & veggies and the scan code next to it. If your store doesnt have one of these useful items, then again- store policy is bad not consumer. Consumer by saying "IT'S A DOLLAR SIXTY-NINE A POUND" is actually helpful with that little book in cases there are several veggies (like organic vs non) that look similar.
We actually have a look-up table on our register with the names of all the fruits and vegetables and their four-digit code. It doesn't have any pictures. It does not have any prices. You are correct, it is moronic, especially since the self-serve registers have very pretty look-ups with color photos and such. But then, this IS a thread about "retail stupidity" and I did not limit it to customers. Feel free to take pot-shots at the company, the owners, and fellow employees/customers.

I am absolutely convinced that the people who designed the machinery, the software, and some of the policies procedures not only have never worked as a cashier, I doubt they have ever done their own shopping, either.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
chimera : I thought they weighed rolls of coins for accuracy

How do you know who put together that roll of coins some random customer hands you?
Old 07-27-2019, 05:32 PM

well, when I used to use leftover coin rolls from the arcade the am/pm i frequented had me put them on a scale and they'd put in the type of coin and how much and supposedly the register would beep if it didn't weigh what a full coin roll would weigh... I did have to put my name and address on it tho

they didn't care where the roll came from just as long as it was the full amount
Old 07-27-2019, 05:34 PM

Your average convenience store (or grocery store, or department store) doesn't have a scale to weigh coins.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Haven't heard it, but my response would be "What makes you think the mayor of this city gets to tell us jack shit about how we run our business?"
On Not Always Right there was a story from the UK where someone pulled the, "Do you know who I am? I'm the mayor's aide," ploy on a cashier. She might or might not have been, but in any event the town was on the other side of the country. I mean, Britain isn't that big by US standards, but come on!
Old 07-28-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Had a kid come in about a month ago with his girlfriend and try to buy tobacco. His girlfriend was underage, so the manager who was at the register refused him. He goes outside with the girlfriend, walks in with another friend who was old enough. Didn't even get to the register when I yelled "NO" and we started laughing at him. Just fucking dumb.
I don't know what the letter of the law says, but if someone has proper ID I don't see how you can deny the sale just because you suspect that he may transfer the items to someone underage. Seems like playing guessing games goes beyond the merchant's responsibility under the law.

Quote:
"We dont actually carry this set at Nordstroms, so we had to call a different chain to find out what it was being sold for there." !!! In other words, they cheerfully gave me a refund on a product they didnt sell and didnt carry.
Nordstrom is famous for this. My niece was a top salesperson at Nordstrom for a few years. She has a customer come in with some jeans he had bought there years before. They were well worn. He was returning them because he just got tired of them. They refunded the full purchase price. Nordstrom is, of course, a high-to-luxury store and with their high profit margins they can afford to do this to keep their valuable high-priced repeat customers. We should not expect this from Macy's or Walmart.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

It's Friday, after closing time. I'm doing "last cash" ringing up people's items when the phone rings. Caller tells me she's outside and "the guy won't let me in."

I tell her "Yes, the store is closed."

She screams YOU ARE NOT CLOSED. I SEE PEOPLE IN THERE.

No, you see people at the register that we are trying to check out. If you go in the aisle, the nice worker will tell you the aisle is closed.

I gave the call to the manager. I'm busy counting money and don't need that shit.