#251  
Old 07-28-2019, 12:31 PM
Nava is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
My spouse works retail for a large chain, and:

1. Yes, the manager and event the clerks there can adjust the price on a advertised sale item. They do it all the time. So, your company, by making them go to customer service is making it needlessly complicated. The problem there isnt with the customer, it's with your stores bad policy.
Many stores treat discounts as rebates, specially when they're pack-discounts. In some places it's "ring one bag of chips, it's €1.20; ring two, it's €2.00"; in others, it's "ring one bag of chips, it's €1.20; ring two, it's €2.40 and another line saying €0.40-". The total is correct, but you have to read more than one line.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.

Last edited by Nava; 07-28-2019 at 12:32 PM.
  #252  
Old 07-28-2019, 12:36 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
I don't know what the letter of the law says, but if someone has proper ID I don't see how you can deny the sale just because you suspect that he may transfer the items to someone underage. Seems like playing guessing games goes beyond the merchant's responsibility under the law.

WRONG. We are absolutely legally required to deny sales of tobacco and nicotine products to people we suspect will transfer them to underage persons.

If person A comes in, attempts to purchase tobacco and doesn't have a valid ID or is underage, we cannot legally sell them to person B who then comes in to purchase cigarettes, if only because we suspect they are purchasing them for the person who cannot legally purchase them. This is the Law and it comes with very serious consequences for both us as individuals and our company.
  #253  
Old 07-28-2019, 01:20 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 41,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Many stores treat discounts as rebates, specially when they're pack-discounts. In some places it's "ring one bag of chips, it's €1.20; ring two, it's €2.00"; in others, it's "ring one bag of chips, it's €1.20; ring two, it's €2.40 and another line saying €0.40-". The total is correct, but you have to read more than one line.
Not at that store.
  #254  
Old 07-28-2019, 02:25 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 28,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
I don't know what the letter of the law says, but if someone has proper ID I don't see how you can deny the sale just because you suspect that he may transfer the items to someone underage. Seems like playing guessing games goes beyond the merchant's responsibility under the law.
Actually, during training we were told the law not only allows us to deny the sale of alcohol (and tobacco and lottery tickets) when we suspect it is being purchased for a minor, it requires it. Fact is, we can disallow sales of alcohol to anyone for a number of reasons: suspected trafficking to minors, drunk customer, high customer, etc. We are not required to sell anyone alcohol and since doing so can open us up to liability there is some incentive not to sell it in edge cases. The problem being, of course (aside from diverting it to minors) that if you get yourself eff'd up on your way home your heirs might sue us. Penalties for helping a minor obtain alcohol start with 180 days in jail and a $1,000 fine from the legal system and go up from there, and an immediate and permanent loss of job working for my employer as well as a life-time ban on being rehired.

Scream at me all you want, if I think you might be buying alcohol for a minor it's not worth my loss of job, freedom, and money. My employer WILL back me up because I have seen it happen. Ditto if I ask you for valid proof of age (which is very similar to but not exactly the same as proof of identity) and you don't have it on you.

The legal system has no mercy on sellers of alcohol.
  #255  
Old 07-28-2019, 02:27 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 28,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
It's Friday, after closing time. I'm doing "last cash" ringing up people's items when the phone rings. Caller tells me she's outside and "the guy won't let me in."

I tell her "Yes, the store is closed."

She screams YOU ARE NOT CLOSED. I SEE PEOPLE IN THERE.
Well, clearly she mistook the employees for people! [/sarcasm] [/snark]

We get to skip that most days of the year because the store I work for only closes on Christmas.
  #256  
Old 07-28-2019, 03:44 PM
CookingWithGas's Avatar
CookingWithGas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Tysons Corner, VA, USA
Posts: 13,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Actually, during training we were told the law not only allows us to deny the sale of alcohol (and tobacco and lottery tickets) when we suspect it is being purchased for a minor, it requires it.[....]

Scream at me all you want, if I think you might be buying alcohol for a minor it's not worth my loss of job, freedom, and money.
I have never worked for a business that sells alcohol so I am not familiar with how much liability you carry. Thanks for the information.

BTW I don't recall screaming at anyone.
  #257  
Old 07-28-2019, 03:56 PM
Filbert is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post

Scream at me all you want, if I think you might be buying alcohol for a minor it's not worth my loss of job, freedom, and money. My employer WILL back me up because I have seen it happen. Ditto if I ask you for valid proof of age (which is very similar to but not exactly the same as proof of identity) and you don't have it on you.
Same in the UK. That reminds me of a kinda crazy, kinda cool customer I had once.

A lady and accompanying young guy come in, and get some groceries. He walks over to the alcohol section (next to the tills) grabs a beer and puts in her basket. They come to the counter, I ask both of them for ID. The young guy grins and pulls out his, showing he turned 18- legal age here- just a few weeks earlier, so I allow it, but the lady starts inflating... 'WHAT? I'm buying it, not him! I'm his MOTHER! If I want to buy my son a beer, it's none of your business how old he is, I'm perfectly allowed to give it him!'. I explain that actually, yes, she is allowed to give her son a beer even if he was underage, but I wouldn't be legally allowed to sell it, knowing it was for someone underage. But he's not underage anyway, so no problem.

Son gives me an apologetic look, says 'Mum, she's just doing her job. I have ID, it's fine!'. The lady glowers at me, and starts to unload the rest of her stuff, gradually getting calmer, then suddenly stops. 'I've been thinking. My 15 year old daughter was staying at a friend's last month, and her friend's Dad took them out and bought them alcohol. I was furious. I can't really complain if staff ask for ID in that situation and also complain if they don't, can I? I'm being really unreasonable, aren't I? Sorry about that'.

I think that's the only time I ever had a customer realise what they were doing, stop, and apologise, mid crazy.
  #258  
Old 07-28-2019, 04:04 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 28,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
I have never worked for a business that sells alcohol so I am not familiar with how much liability you carry. Thanks for the information.

BTW I don't recall screaming at anyone.
Wasn't referring to you in particular, sorry if that was unclear. I was having a flashback to a customer undergoing an "alcohol emergency" and various other sorts of lunacy associated with the legal drug known as "alcohol". People can get VERY upset when you say no....
  #259  
Old 07-28-2019, 06:53 PM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 21,829
I agree with Chimera and Broomstick, above. You (the customer) do not have a right to buy alcohol. Alcohol is a controlled substance, the purchase of which is attached to certain conditions imposed by the state which must be met by the purchaser. If you do not meet those conditions, such as providing proof that you're at least 21 and not under the influence, you don't get to buy alcohol. The seller, who is acting as an agent on behalf of the state, must be satisfied you can legally purchase alcohol before they can sell it to you and must refuse service if you legally can't make a purchase.

I used to work in alcohol sales. One night a woman and a young boy of perhaps 12 approached my counter. The big walked up to a cooler, took out a can of beer, and put it on the counter. I told the woman, "I can't sell you this beer."

"Why not?"

"Because I watched the boy get the beer out of the cooler and put it on the counter."

"But I'm buying the beer."

"No, you're not. The law is quite clear. The boy got the beer out of the cooler. I have to assume it's for him. I'll be glad to ring up anything you have that isn't illegal for me to sell to a minor, but I'm not selling you this beer."

The woman and boy left in a huff. The boy might just have been trying to be helpful, but I don't know that. Get mad all you want. In fact, the angrier you get, the more it enforces my decision.

Last edited by cochrane; 07-28-2019 at 06:54 PM.
  #260  
Old 07-29-2019, 11:40 AM
Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 55,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
We get to skip that most days of the year because the store I work for only closes on Christmas.
Like you've never turned off your OPEN sign, had a customer come on line, tell them you're closed and they say "Well, when I got on line your light was on. Can't you take me?"

We do not take American Express. We have never taken American Express. Yet people tell me that must be a new policy, as they used American Express in the past. One woman told me "Well, I use AmEx at every other branch of your store. I don't know why you're the only one that won't take it."

The next time I saw the store's owner, I told him the story and asked in a very snarky voice "Why are you the only store that doesn't take AmEx?" He laughed.
  #261  
Old 07-29-2019, 11:47 AM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 28,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Like you've never turned off your OPEN sign, had a customer come on line, tell them you're closed and they say "Well, when I got on line your light was on. Can't you take me?"
In our store if you're in line when the light was still on we stay until you're rung up.

We have chains to close off the aisle in front of the register when we're closing down a line. I once had a lady ram the chain with her cart, insisting I was open.
  #262  
Old 07-29-2019, 01:39 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I agree with Chimera and Broomstick, above. You (the customer) do not have a right to buy alcohol. Alcohol is a controlled substance, the purchase of which is attached to certain conditions imposed by the state which must be met by the purchaser. If you do not meet those conditions, such as providing proof that you're at least 21 and not under the influence, you don't get to buy alcohol. The seller, who is acting as an agent on behalf of the state, must be satisfied you can legally purchase alcohol before they can sell it to you and must refuse service if you legally can't make a purchase.
Yeah, that's really fun when I'm buying beer for a family picnic and shopping with my 4 year-old son and can't buy the beer because "Sorry, you have a minor with you"
  #263  
Old 07-29-2019, 01:56 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
"I don't see why you won't take my loyalty card!"
"Because it's for <competitor>"
Nineteen in 20 are embarrassed and let it pass. One in twenty gets pissy and thinks we should take it anyway. Um, NO.



"Your pumps won't take <affiliated retailer's discount card>. You need to fix that."
"We can't. You'll need to speak to them about why it doesn't work."
"No, I'm HERE and it won't take it. YOU fix it."
"No, the computer checks with THEM, and they're not accepting it. Talk to them."
"I don't want to talk to them, I'm here NOW."
"Well good luck with that."
"I'm going to complain to your manager!/your company!"
"Who will tell you to call that company about it."


Or this one the other day, regarding the affiliated company's discount card;

"Hi, I got gas here earlier and used my discount card to get 20 cents off a gallon. I forgot my card, but here's the receipt and I want you to give me the same 20 cents per gallon filling this car too."
"No, sorry, you have to have your card and you've used your points filling the first car"
"But it's good for up to 20 gallons and I only got 8, so I want the discount for 12 gallons in this car."
"No, sorry, 1> you need to have the card with you, and 2> It isn't "20 gallons over the course of the day".
"I demand my discount or I'm going to complain."
"We're not giving it to you, it doesn't work that way, have a nice day."


"Why doesn't your store have Wifi?"
"Because we're not a coffee shop and don't have seats for you to just hang out all day using our wifi."
"Well do you have phone chargers?"
"Yes, they're over there on the rack"
"NOT TO BUY!!! I mean to use to charge my phone while I'm in your store!"
"No, we don't provide that service and no one else does either."
  #264  
Old 07-29-2019, 01:59 PM
bordelond's Avatar
bordelond is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: La Rive Ouest
Posts: 10,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Yep, I've done the exact same thing as a customer - problem is, as an employee I don't have a lot of choice.

I forget if it was Office Max or Office Depot (doesn't matter now since they've merged anyway) but my spouse and I walked in to buy some copier paper and were subjected to a lengthy questionnaire wanting things like our address, phone number, e-mail, etc. Walked out in the middle of the transaction on that one.

Walgreen's used to give checking out customers the third degree - I stopped shopping there for years because of it.

But pity the poor employees who are given no choice about this and have to put up with the pissed off customers.

The only way to change it is to call the corporate offices and bitch, but even that's not a guarantee.
Are there parts of the country where this is illegal or something? This NEVER happens in the New Orleans area, and it never happened the four years we lived in Mississippi. Sounds like half the stores in your area do the survey thing at the cashier stand.
  #265  
Old 07-29-2019, 02:04 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,589
As it happens, I was in Office Depot yesterday, and as I was paying, I was asked for my phone number. I said the first thing I thought of, which was, "I don't have one."
  #266  
Old 07-29-2019, 02:04 PM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 21,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Yeah, that's really fun when I'm buying beer for a family picnic and shopping with my 4 year-old son and can't buy the beer because "Sorry, you have a minor with you"
When has that ever happened to you? A family out shopping isn't suspicious and won't ring alarms. You don't look you're buying the beer for your 4 year old. Your 4 year old isn't going to plunk a can of beer on the counter. Clerks are expected to exercise common sense.
  #267  
Old 07-29-2019, 02:05 PM
bordelond's Avatar
bordelond is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: La Rive Ouest
Posts: 10,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Your ID and the information on your credit card account has to really, really, really, definitely match. Just moved? Sorry - I know it's a pain but we can not do this until your ID and account information match. I don't care that the store the next county over let you do that (and personally I am having grievous doubts as to the veracity of your claim), they aren't supposed to do that, we don't allow it, and talking to a manager is not going to change that. We both want to keep our jobs.
This is something else that must vary regionally. I might get the "Can I see an ID with your credit card?" about once or twice a year over hundreds of transactions. Even before chip cards.

"Well, they're SUPPOSED to!!!" Is that a fact? Then why don't they ever? And apparently whatever mechanism from on high (at store corporate, at the CC company, etc.) is supposed to enforce ID checks ... that mechanism is either toothless or rarely invoked.
  #268  
Old 07-29-2019, 02:16 PM
bordelond's Avatar
bordelond is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: La Rive Ouest
Posts: 10,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
How much is this item (because I'm supposed to know the price of everything in the store)
Are they not asking you for a garden-variety price check at the register? Or are they asking you while you're walking the floor, and then get upset at you if you can't answer on the spot? If it's the former ... that seems to be all in a day's work for a cashier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Do you have any more in the back (I always want to answer this: Yes, we're here to sell things. That's why we hide them).
From a customer perspective ... this is always worth asking. Pays off about 1/4 of the time in my experience. It is incumbent on the customer to gracefully take "no" for an answer, however -- even if the employee insists there's none in the back without going in back to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I'm standing at the register, my light is on, and I'm scanning items. People will come up and ask "Are you open?"
Certain things can make it look like a cashier is getting ready to end their shift. An example would be a super-short one- or two-person line when other cashiers have long lines several people deep. A reasonable assumption is that you've called out to your final customer that you're ending your shift, but you're light stays on for whatever reason (e.g. can't reach [common locally, customers typically turn off these lights for the cashier in some stores], etc.).

Sometimes -- light or no light -- a cashier just starting their shift can look open, but not be ready to take a customer for maybe another minute or two. You ask the cashier "Are you open?" as shorthand for "Are you ready to ring up customers right this moment, or do you need a few to get your station & drawer ready?"
  #269  
Old 07-29-2019, 02:24 PM
Inner Stickler's Avatar
Inner Stickler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 15,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
This is something else that must vary regionally. I might get the "Can I see an ID with your credit card?" about once or twice a year over hundreds of transactions. Even before chip cards.
It's not "Can I see an ID with your credit card?", it's "Since you don't have your credit card with you, I need to see an ID to verify that you are the person to whom the line of credit you want to use belongs to."
  #270  
Old 07-29-2019, 02:30 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
When has that ever happened to you? A family out shopping isn't suspicious and won't ring alarms. You don't look you're buying the beer for your 4 year old. Your 4 year old isn't going to plunk a can of beer on the counter. Clerks are expected to exercise common sense.
That exact event happened to me in my craphole hometown. Grocery store sells beer there. Went to buy buns or whatever, and beer. "Sorry, can't sell you the beer because you have a minor with you"

And further adventures of my craphole hometown, years ago, went to get a family portrait at Walmart while I was there during Thanksgiving. 3 cousins and I wanted to get a nice picture to give to our grandmother. Couldn't, because one of my cousins was 17, and they couldn't take a picture because of child pornography laws.

This is the "Retail Stupidity" thread, right?
  #271  
Old 07-29-2019, 02:56 PM
bordelond's Avatar
bordelond is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: La Rive Ouest
Posts: 10,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
It's not "Can I see an ID with your credit card?", it's "Since you don't have your credit card with you, I need to see an ID to verify that you are the person to whom the line of credit you want to use belongs to."
... I'm not familiar with that type of transaction.

Store credit? Like old fashioned 1950s store credit at Macy's or Gimbel's in NYC? I won't say that's unknown locally (even though I've not run across it) ... but it has to be very uncommon. Maybe at very high-end retailers.

EDIT: Or else Broomstick meant trying to use a store credit card without the physical card. I see. Never would've thought that you could do that. Figured having to obtain a replacement card would be a hard & fast rule.

Last edited by bordelond; 07-29-2019 at 02:58 PM.
  #272  
Old 07-29-2019, 03:27 PM
Inner Stickler's Avatar
Inner Stickler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 15,068
Yeah, it never occurred to me either as an option, but apparently it happens often enough to be aggravating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
House card.


Go back and re-read my post. This is for situations where someone does not have a physical card on them and are asking to access their line of credit. We do all the double-checking to prevent fraud.

If they show us their physical card we don't ask for ID.
  #273  
Old 07-29-2019, 04:28 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 28,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
When has that ever happened to you? A family out shopping isn't suspicious and won't ring alarms. You don't look you're buying the beer for your 4 year old. Your 4 year old isn't going to plunk a can of beer on the counter. Clerks are expected to exercise common sense.
The clerk might have common sense but not be allowed to use it.

The Walmarts around us started doing that - no alcohol sales unless everyone in the party was over 21. We got some new customers from that! My store lets us use common sense, Walmart's drones weren't given a choice.
  #274  
Old 07-29-2019, 05:01 PM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 21,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
The clerk might have common sense but not be allowed to use it.

The Walmarts around us started doing that - no alcohol sales unless everyone in the party was over 21. We got some new customers from that! My store lets us use common sense, Walmart's drones weren't given a choice.
Good point. Store policy can often be inflexible and the average employee can lose their job if they don't follow policy strictly.
  #275  
Old 07-29-2019, 05:02 PM
lingyi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,962
On the other hand...

I'm the jerk who's complained to the manager about cashiers not checking my ID when there are signs saying they will. Hey, if they say they'll do it for my security, I expect them to doe it every time to everyone!
  #276  
Old 07-29-2019, 06:23 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 28,742
When I go to my bank and they ask me for ID I thank them for doing so. I've been told some people get VERY upset at the request. Which is stupid, why would you NOT want people to make sure only you are spending your money?
  #277  
Old 07-30-2019, 08:23 AM
Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 55,503
People will come up to you on the floor and ask you for the price of an item. If i'm not at the register and I don't know it, the best I can do is ask you to go to the register for a price check. Some people get nasty about it.

People also ask if we carry the item they want. An item we have never carried and will never carry, like cigarette lighters. And when you say "I'm sorry we don't carry those," they will ask "Why not?" I had this exchange with one such person:

I'm sorry, we don't do the buying for the store.
Well, who does?
Uhhh... the buyers?"
  #278  
Old 07-30-2019, 08:46 AM
Patch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In my house
Posts: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
It seems we're talking about two sides of the same coin. The bottom line is having the customer spend more time in the store. I shopped at the same store for over 40 years and every so many years the bread aisle is switched from one side of the store to the other. End result, I search every aisle looking for the bread. That is until I realized that at least for this store, bread is always the first or second aisle on either the left or the right. And peanut butter and jelly is always next to the bread.
In my local Safeway the bread is on the opposite side of the store of the peanut butter and jelly.
  #279  
Old 07-30-2019, 08:49 AM
Patch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In my house
Posts: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
You cannot put eggs, bacon, hash browns and English muffins next to each other. Perishables are in refrigerators and thus must be close to the back area where the perishables are kept. Frozen items must be a short distance from the back freezer.
A market near me years ago redesigned their layout three times in two years. The biggest frustrating switch? They moved butter from the dairy case in the back of the store to a stand-alone refrigerator unit in the middle of the baking aisle.
  #280  
Old 07-30-2019, 10:36 AM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
"Why doesn't your store have Wifi?"
"Because we're not a coffee shop and don't have seats for you to just hang out all day using our wifi."
"Well do you have phone chargers?"
"Yes, they're over there on the rack"
"NOT TO BUY!!! I mean to use to charge my phone while I'm in your store!"
"No, we don't provide that service and no one else does either."
Good God, how how much time are they expecting to spend in a convenience store? If you absolutely can't go a few moments without your music (or whatever), use your network connection!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
Sometimes -- light or no light -- a cashier just starting their shift can look open, but not be ready to take a customer for maybe another minute or two. You ask the cashier "Are you open?" as shorthand for "Are you ready to ring up customers right this moment, or do you need a few to get your station & drawer ready?"
Just yesterday I was in Michael's waiting for the one open cashier to finish with her customer. Another cashier arrived, did cashiery things behind her register, set down her soda cup, and snapped on her light. As I stepped up I said, "When the light comes on, it's official." She laughed.
  #281  
Old 07-30-2019, 04:39 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 28,742
Yeah, I appreciate people who don't assume just anyone near a register is running it .

At my store the registers also function as a time clock. So you'll get someone going to an unused register clocking in or out and a customer comes up and starts unloading their cart and gets pissy when the person says "I'm just clocking in/out, not opening the register".

Or I'll be trying to figure out if a register even works and some one shows up. I'll say "Please wait - we're not sure this machine is working properly" and they'll get pissy about it. Well, FINE, unload at register that's flaking out and you'll just have to move when we find out the thing is busted.

If I'm just starting for they day I'll tell people they can start putting stuff on the belt IF
1) I am working as a cashier that day
2) I am certain the machine is fully functional
but I'll say I'm still setting up, give me a minute to make sure we have bags and everything else we need to make this work. Usually, folks are OK with it and some appreciate my efforts to communicate what's going on, but others.... well, some people seem determined to be unhappy no matter what you don.
  #282  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:31 PM
lingyi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,962
Sometimes a manager may open a register temporarily to check stock or pricing on an item. As stated above. The rule is, if the light's not on, the register's not open.

That said, it's irritating when the cashier forgets to turn on their light (and no one knows they're open), or forgets to turn off their light while they closing the till or walk away.
  #283  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:37 PM
lingyi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,962
I won't say it's stupidity, just poor cost cutting and planning.

When supermarkets and general stores like CVS have just one cashier between 6-8 am. Umm...these are hours when people are going to work and in a rush to get that bottle of water or fruit before heading to work. No, I don't have ten minutes to wait in line when the person in front of me decides to do their weekly shopping.

Last edited by lingyi; 07-30-2019 at 05:38 PM.
  #284  
Old 07-30-2019, 06:05 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 28,742
I understand your gripe about early morning staffing, however, MOST mornings (speaking as such an early-shift cashier) we don't have much traffic and may be standing around 10 or 15 minutes with no customers. And businesses HATE having staff stand around doing nothing/waiting.

Another problem we have is finding people who can reliably show up at 6 am. We might schedule 3 people, but if only 2 or worse yet only 1 shows up...

And yeah, cost-cutting. At my store you at least have an option of self-serve and the attendant there will help you if you need it.

Even if we do have sufficient cashiers invariably someone is upset because our customer service desk is not staff 24 hours a day, "just" 16 out of 24. I can try to call a manager for you, but honestly, at 6 am there aren't a lot of people in this place, we'll get you someone eventually but it may take more than a minute or two.
  #285  
Old 07-30-2019, 06:16 PM
lingyi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,962
Don't you have to do busy work within your area? I see cashiers replenishing their bags, wiping down the belt and their area, etc?

What perplexed me about my favorite supermarket, was that the second cashier shift (the store opened at 5am) came in at 8am. Hmm...being that most people start work between 8-8:30 in the morning, it seemed strange. Oh well, as you stated, I don't see downtime. Though it always seems there's 2-3 people in front of me when I'm just buying my donut and banana.
  #286  
Old 07-30-2019, 07:21 PM
doreen is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Woodhaven,Queens, NY
Posts: 6,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
When has that ever happened to you? A family out shopping isn't suspicious and won't ring alarms. You don't look you're buying the beer for your 4 year old. Your 4 year old isn't going to plunk a can of beer on the counter. Clerks are expected to exercise common sense.
You would hope so- but I remember an old thread where the issue of carding everyone in the party/selling alcohol to an adult accompanied by a child came up. One person said that while she has sold alcohol to an adult who had an infant with him/her, other clerks might not for fear that the infant would get into the alcohol and end up in the hospital with the clerk getting blamed. And another would have sold me beer if I was with my 10 year old son but would have either not sold it to me or asked the manager if I was with my 19 year old son.

Last edited by doreen; 07-30-2019 at 07:22 PM.
  #287  
Old 07-30-2019, 11:26 PM
lingyi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen View Post
You would hope so- but I remember an old thread where the issue of carding everyone in the party/selling alcohol to an adult accompanied by a child came up. One person said that while she has sold alcohol to an adult who had an infant with him/her, other clerks might not for fear that the infant would get into the alcohol and end up in the hospital with the clerk getting blamed. And another would have sold me beer if I was with my 10 year old son but would have either not sold it to me or asked the manager if I was with my 19 year old son.
They're wary of secret shoppers that are sent into the store to check the store's compliance. Too many violations and their liquor license can be pulled. And liquor is a high markup item compared to most other store items.
  #288  
Old 07-31-2019, 04:03 AM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 28,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
Don't you have to do busy work within your area? I see cashiers replenishing their bags, wiping down the belt and their area, etc?
Sure - and it takes all of about 10 minutes to get that all done, then what is there left to do? We can't go wandering off across the store to keep busy because then we won't be at the register when you step up to it.
  #289  
Old 07-31-2019, 08:56 AM
Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 55,503
Not having enough cashiers baffles me. I'm a first cashier, and I always have at least one second cashier and often two (they do price, restocking the shelves and doing returns when it's not so busy). And several of the aisle workers are knowledgeable enough to ring up and bag items and take credit or debit cards (no cash!).

Another big bug of mine is people who put stuff at the register before I've finished ringing up the current person's items, and everything gets all mixed up.

Yesterday I had one of the crazy customers from hell: She brings a full cart to the register, and doesn't buy about a quarter of the items. An hour later, she's returning about another quarter of the items she bought. What a mess.

And I live in America and I only speak and understand English. If you don't speak and understand English, don't assume I can talk to you in your language. That is hubris extremus.
  #290  
Old 07-31-2019, 10:51 AM
purplehorseshoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 9,992
Did you just use a Latin phrase to emphasize how you only speak English?
__________________
I can haz sig line?
  #291  
Old 07-31-2019, 11:34 AM
Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 55,503
Hubris is a perfectly acceptable American word. I Latinized the "exreme." Doesn't mean Yo hablo español
  #292  
Old 07-31-2019, 11:36 AM
Nava is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,259
Pig'ed all three of them, too.


(Hubris is from Greek, so it's three languages that got mishandled).

Last edited by Nava; 07-31-2019 at 11:40 AM.
  #293  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:01 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Hubris is a perfectly acceptable American word. I Latinized the "exreme." Doesn't mean Yo hablo español
So you also know Spanish?
  #294  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:06 PM
Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 55,503
I know how to google and get a translation. That's about it.
  #295  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:11 PM
lingyi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Sure - and it takes all of about 10 minutes to get that all done, then what is there left to do? We can't go wandering off across the store to keep busy because then we won't be at the register when you step up to it.
Work slower?
  #296  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:19 PM
lingyi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,962
When they first came out, I thought self-checkouts were amazing. Now, about half the time I use them (which is rarely), I spend more time re-scanning, removing that double scan and waiting for the person watching over them to fix an error, than I would have in the regular checkout.

One morning I saw a line at the single cashier. Hmm...I'll save time using the self-checkout. For some reason the checkout errors and a message and flashing light on the top comes on to wait for the manager to clear it. I give up and go to the cashier. Just as I'm finished, I see the manager finally come to check the machine. Would have been faster to use the regular cashier in the first place!
  #297  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:26 PM
Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 55,503
Yes, people who think cashiering is an unskilled, easy job have never done it. We lose trainees because they are amazed about how much work is involved, and how stupid people can be.
  #298  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:32 PM
Doug K. is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Hutchinson, KS
Posts: 3,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Sure - and it takes all of about 10 minutes to get that all done, then what is there left to do? We can't go wandering off across the store to keep busy because then we won't be at the register when you step up to it.
If you aren't there at all you won't be at the register when someone steps up to it, either. In a public facing job there are going to be times when you might be doing nothing but being available. But being available for the next customer IS doing something, even if it's boring, even if some permanently n00b manager just looks for constant movement.

Granted, if you're one of the too few cashiers on duty, the upset customers should be communicating with the manager (or higher if necessary) instead of taking it out on the ones who can't do anything about it.
  #299  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:49 PM
Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 55,503
The prime rule for a first cashier is to be at the register at all times. I can price items or clean up the register, but I stay at the register, ready to ring up anyone who comes by. If I want to go in the back of the store for any reason, I have to notify the second register to stay at the register and open if anyone comes.
  #300  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:59 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 41,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
So you also know Spanish?
I can read a newspaper in Spanish & German and get the gist, even if not the details. I can ask where the bathroom is, how much a item is, for another beer, not to mention wishing people good day, thanks, you are welcome, and such.

But if a Mexican fires off a long sentence or two in their very fast dialect, I am lost. "No Habla" "Un Poquito".
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017