Old 07-31-2019, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
When they first came out, I thought self-checkouts were amazing. Now, about half the time I use them (which is rarely), I spend more time re-scanning, removing that double scan and waiting for the person watching over them to fix an error, than I would have in the regular checkout.

One morning I saw a line at the single cashier. Hmm...I'll save time using the self-checkout. For some reason the checkout errors and a message and flashing light on the top comes on to wait for the manager to clear it. I give up and go to the cashier. Just as I'm finished, I see the manager finally come to check the machine. Would have been faster to use the regular cashier in the first place!
Yeah, when there's a error, it takes just as long as going thru the line, usually.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I cannot tell you how many people have asked where the batteries are while standing within 3' of the battery display.

Some genius at AH (a supermarket chain here) decreed workers drop everything when a customer asks where something is, go with them and physically TOUCH the item when pointing out where it is. It has caught on with other retailers and my shopping experience has greatly improved. No more “on the left in ail 6, next to the cereal” bullshit.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
If you aren't there at all you won't be at the register when someone steps up to it, either. In a public facing job there are going to be times when you might be doing nothing but being available. But being available for the next customer IS doing something, even if it's boring, even if some permanently n00b manager just looks for constant movement.
Fortunately, most of our managers are OK with the waiting cashiers speaking to the next person over. Occasionally, I surreptitiously read the magazines in the checklane. I hate having nothing to do, so when I moved over to cashiering I asked to be put on the busy shifts.

Quote:
Granted, if you're one of the too few cashiers on duty, the upset customers should be communicating with the manager (or higher if necessary) instead of taking it out on the ones who can't do anything about it.
Our local store director has surprisingly limited say in how people-hours are apportioned. We tell people to call the corporate headquarters. Of course, half the time they sneer "that never works!" Well, not always, but it certainly won't change if you don't tell them you're unhappy. They sure as hell don't listen to us peons!
Old 07-31-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
When I contrast this statement and the hopeful, positive attitude that it conveys with the other poster's (primarily two of them) who work as cashiers and the obvious outlook that you have on your customers compared to the way they come across, it tells me volumes about both you and them.

My guess is they are going to be stuck bitching about the human scum they are forced to deal with for the rest of their working lives, while you sound like you are destined for bigger and better things ahead.
Eh. While itís nice to keep a positive attitude, having a few pet peeves doesnít necessarily make one a hopelessly miserable misanthrope. I donít work in retail per se, but I often conduct financial transactions with the general public, and there are things I see on a daily basis that cause me to roll my eyes.

For instance, people will wait in a very long line of customers, surrounded by large and numerous signs indicating products and services, clearly marked prices, descriptions, etc., and when they finally reach the front of the line, they will have absolutely no idea what they want to purchase and how much it will cost. And only after thatís settled will they realize they might need some form of payment, and begin the process of fishing out a wallet-within-a-purse-within-a-backback-stuffed-underneath-a-stroller.

And yes, I know you remember when it only cost $X. So do I. It costs more now. A loaf of bread used to cost a quarter; whatís your point? I canít haggle. Go to a flea market if thatís what you want to do.

I genuinely like my job, and I like dealing with most of the people I encounter. That doesnít mean I canít think that some of them are idiots.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

My store had three rules about when to call the second cashier:

When there are three people on the line
When someone has a full cart
When someone says "Can't you open another register?"

I added a fourth, which got approved:

When dealing with a crazy customer (mostly to get the other customers away from crazy, and also so the first cashier can concentrate on dealing with said crazy. If I ask the second cashier to take the next customer, please, someone is going to call one of the (male) aisle workers to the front for backup and/or protection.)
Old 08-09-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

This morning work opened up with a customer rising out of a motorized scooter to engage one of the managers in actual physical combat. Personally, I consider the chosen manager a poor choice of opponent given her size and strength but whatever. Then the alleged customer is inspired to deploy the n-word, the c-word, and a reference to sexual intercourse in a juxtaposition of maximum emotional impact. It took not one, not two, but THREE men to pull the enraged manager off the alleged customer, and two more people to prevent the alleged customer from following the trio dragging the manager off her to continue the conflict. The police were called and the "customer" was removed in handcuffs as one of our security guys was prying unpaid-for-merchandise out of one of her fists and the police were reading her the Miranda rights.

And there was muttering to the effect of "well, at least it wasn't a shooter".

Hate my job? Sometimes I hate reality.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Friday afternoon. Very busy time for us, and we have to get the customers out of the store two hours before sundown. I'm doing "last cash" running the only register that still has cash in it.

Customer pays in cash and when the drawer opens, comes to my side of the register. I mean, could you*be* any more obvious?

I put my right hand into a fist, give the customer a long, hard stare, take out her change and slam the drawer shut. If she had moved one inch closer to the open drawer, her nose would have been punched out by my fist.

That's the fourth time I've seen a customer very obviously trying to get into a cash drawer.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:16 AM

Do you have security, or are you security?
Old 08-12-2019, 11:19 AM

She is the cashier. She is not "security" as her main job, but she is security as one of her tasks. I'm not security at my job either, but if I see someone other than Fred moving our servers away without prior warning I'm not gonna just look and think "uh, wonder what those guys are doing with the big computers".
Old 08-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

I am a cashier, but I know a lot about security, self-defense, and punching someone out. Had I made any type of commotion, two of the male aisle workers would have immediately rushed to the registers.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
This morning work opened up with a customer rising out of a motorized scooter to engage one of the managers in actual physical combat.
A bit of an update on this:

It seems the scooter driver ran over the foot of the manager, then fisted her in the face as an opening gambit. THEN the manager went ballistic. Manager had been approaching the person in question to ask if she needed assistance and discovered the hard way the "customer" was a belligerent would-be shoplifter.

As the "customer" was clearly the aggressor (it is on more than one security camera tape so they have multiple angles on this) and the manager acted in self defense she apparently still has her job and, aside from some bruising, is uninjured.

I am actually pleasantly surprised the corporation did NOT summarily fire the manager for getting physical with someone when it was a matter of self-defense.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

If they had fired the manager, a good lawsuit would have resulted. Self-defense defends and supersedes everything.

Had the person in my previous post made any move, all I'd have to say in my defense is "I thought my right (only good) hand was being threatened." Since she was on my right side, nobody would have questioned it.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Friday afternoon. Very busy time for us, and we have to get the customers out of the store two hours before sundown. I'm doing "last cash" running the only register that still has cash in it.

Customer pays in cash and when the drawer opens, comes to my side of the register. I mean, could you*be* any more obvious?

I put my right hand into a fist, give the customer a long, hard stare, take out her change and slam the drawer shut. If she had moved one inch closer to the open drawer, her nose would have been punched out by my fist.

That's the fourth time I've seen a customer very obviously trying to get into a cash drawer.
So does the customer get banned from the store for this sort of thing?
Old 08-13-2019, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

No, because I didn't make a fuss, it being Friday closing time and last cash. But we have the video of the incident with the person being clearly on tape.

If she pulls that stunt again, the manager will be called and she will be banned.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Not stupidity, just carelessness. I caught the woman at the deli counter rolling her eyes at me. I was waiting my turn behind a woman and her brats, so couldn't see the types of ham that were in the deli case. When my turn came up, the counter person, who has been there for years and knows my face, asked what I wanted. I told her 'some ham', but had to look at what they had on hand. I spotted what I wanted, and when I looked up to tell her, she was rolling her eyes impatiently. At least she had the decency to look sheepish. I don't really blame her much, as I'm sure she gets people all the time who dither endlessly over what they want. Working retail is a royal pain in the ass.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

I had one incident where a customer went to write a check and when I said "Sorry, we don't take checks," told me "I always write checks in your store."

After I finished the transaction, I went and told thing exchange to the manager, who responded "That's a fucking lie." The customer who was walking out of the store heard her, came back and made a complaint about her use of "inappropriate language."

And just yesterday when I told someone we don't take American Express, she responded "Are you sure about that?" No, I've only worked here going on six years, but I don't know what forms of payment we take.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Yesterday I also answered a phone from someone who asked if we had our Christmas items out yet. I stifled my first response, which was to ask "What month are we in anyway?" I just said "Sorry, no."
Old 08-13-2019, 12:22 PM

Wow...

Quote:
I am a store cashier. I could write a book on this very subject. Some of the routine questions I get asked:

You don't carry (insert item here). Why not? Are you going to get any in the future? Where can I buy it?
I see nothing wrong with this. Perhaps it's something you usually carry, but you're out of stock. Do you not have an opinion as to where I might go to get that product? You know, just to be helpful, and nice?
Quote:
Which one of these items is better?
I see nothing wrong with this. Do you not have an opinion as to which product is better? You know, just to be helpful, and nice? Is it that much of a problem to just say: "I'm sorry, I don't really know anything about that product.
Quote:
How much is this item (because I'm supposed to know the price of everything in the store)
Are you an employee of the store? Because I'm thinking that you, as an employee would have a better chance of finding out a price of a product than I would. When someone is asking the price, I don't think anyone is actually asking for you to come up with the price off the top of your head. What they're asking is HELP determining the price. You know, just to be helpful and nice.
Quote:
Do you have any more in the back (I always want to answer this: Yes, we're here to sell things. That's why we hide them).
It seems reasonable to me that at one point you had more product than what would fit on a shelf; therefore necessitating the need to have some of that stock in the back. It doesn't seem unreasonable. Again, I don't think that's retail stupidity; it's more like you just don't want to be talked to.
Quote:
I'm standing at the register, my light is on, and I'm scanning items. People will come up and ask "Are you open?"
I'll give you this one to a small degree. But I get it, if something was off... like all of the checkout lines had 10 people in queue, but yours had only the peron currently being checked out. I'd definitely ask if your lane is open.
Quote:
As for people who dump things at the register, I hope there's a special place in hell for them. I swear, there are people who think it's funny to bring things to the register and throw them there. I guess they think we have little elves who return everything to the shelves.
I'm not sure I understand this one. People come up to a register with no intention of buying a product; but just want to drop them at the register? Or are you talking about someone who decides not to purchase something? In that case, what am I supposed to do? Put it back? If that's your thought, I'm sorry, but that's part of the retail lifecycle.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:33 PM

Annie-Xmas,
I take it all back. After reading some of your other posts; I don't think I'd want to work where you work. Sounds like you should get combat pay. (I worked for a convenience store chain; if you were assigned a store in a rough neighborhood, you'd get 'combat pay'. It was a nice little bump in pay for the extra danger. You know you're in a rough neighborhood when they raise the floor up behind the counter to give you a height advantage, and the place convex mirrors in a convenience store with only 1 or aisles.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I'm not going to ask you five times, but I'm curious so I'm going to ask once: why do they forbid you to give out price information? Do they think this will force people to come in to the store? I'd think it would be more likely to cause customers to spend their travel time going somewhere else that would answer the question.
I actually know the answer to this one.
Reason 1)If you have to come into the store to price check, there's a higher chance you'll buy something; even if it's not the item you wanted the price check on.
Reason 2)Some stores have this policy on exact items that can be sold at other stores, and it's to curb another store from undercutting you. When I worked at a huge chain of convenience stores, this was especially important with fuel prices. If someone was going to undercut us on fuel prices, they were going to have to at least drive by and look at the pump.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
...When I worked at a huge chain of convenience stores, this was especially important with fuel prices. If someone was going to undercut us on fuel prices, they were going to have to at least drive by and look at the pump.
Or take a glance at the GasBuddy app.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Reason 1)If you have to come into the store to price check, there's a higher chance you'll buy something; even if it's not the item you wanted the price check on.
True -- if you actually come into the store in the first place. If you're annoyed at not being able to find out the price, and therefore just go somewhere else that would answer the question, then not only are you not going to buy anything at the store that won't answer the first time, chances are you're not going to buy anything there another time, either.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with this. Do you not have an opinion as to which product is better? You know, just to be helpful, and nice?
99% of the time it's not a problem. The other 1 time out of 100 the person takes the product home, tries it, decides they DON'T like it, and it's all your fault! We've had people come back to bitch - use of foul language, throwing things, just really having a melt-down tantrum.

So.... because some adults can't behave as well as the average 6 year old, yeah, asking me "which is better" is not a question I look forward to. I am also unlikely to answer it for you.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
This morning work opened up with a customer rising out of a motorized scooter to engage one of the managers in actual physical combat. Personally, I consider the chosen manager a poor choice of opponent given her size and strength but whatever. Then the alleged customer is inspired to deploy the n-word, the c-word, and a reference to sexual intercourse in a juxtaposition of maximum emotional impact. It took not one, not two, but THREE men to pull the enraged manager off the alleged customer, and two more people to prevent the alleged customer from following the trio dragging the manager off her to continue the conflict. The police were called and the "customer" was removed in handcuffs as one of our security guys was prying unpaid-for-merchandise out of one of her fists and the police were reading her the Miranda rights.

And there was muttering to the effect of "well, at least it wasn't a shooter".

Hate my job? Sometimes I hate reality.
I don't know, but if I saw this at my work, I'd think it was a pretty awesome day
Old 08-13-2019, 11:21 PM

Why can I never get multiquote to work?

Anyway, someone earlier was saying about how wandering around the store looking at things repeatedly makes you an obvious shoplifter. It could also mean you're a tourist. I LOVE going to normal retail stores on holiday, especially in less touristy areas. Even if I have no intent to buy cereal, I'll go and look at that aisle. Fresh fruit and veg? I might only want to buy an apple but I'll linger looking at the different types of food they have available. American cucumbers are weirdly different to English ones.

My recent example of retail stupidity is with Amazon Prime Now, which delivers groceries to your door within a couple of hours. They decided to demand photo ID when delivering alcohol, no matter the apparent age of the recipient. They used to go by the rule for in-store purchases at real stores in the UK: ask for photo ID if the person answering the door appears under 25, otherwise tick the box. It's not unreasonable to change the rule and I understand why. But they really should have flagged it up to customers.

The poor delivery drivers have been so grateful for me being understanding and being able to find my ID quickly that I think they must have had a lot of grief from pissed-off customers or people searching in their belongings for so long that they miss their delivery times.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I don't know, but if I saw this at my work, I'd think it was a pretty awesome day
Sorry, I have seen too many fights and too much violence in the real world, the sort of stuff that leaves blood on the floor and broken bones, to view a fist-fight as "awesome".
Old 08-14-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Reason 2)Some stores have this policy on exact items that can be sold at other stores, and it's to curb another store from undercutting you. When I worked at a huge chain of convenience stores, this was especially important with fuel prices. If someone was going to undercut us on fuel prices, they were going to have to at least drive by and look at the pump.
Reason #3, which was stated above: People will come into the store and say "Well, they told me on the phone that it was (insert cheaper price here)." Since we don't give out prices, we know that person is lying.

Re dumping items at the register: Is there any reason you can't hand it to the cashier, with an explanation "I decided not the get this"? Dumping it just means more work, and it makes the cashier station look bad.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

And I want to add bad customers are the exception, not the rule, even at a discount store. 80 percent of the customers are routine, 10% are truly awesome, and my posts are about the bottom 10%. The ones who make my job harder, who think it should be all about them and they can do it their way, and the really bad 1% who end up being banned from the store.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Had the person in my previous post made any move, all I'd have to say in my defense is "I thought my right (only good) hand was being threatened." Since she was on my right side, nobody would have questioned it.
Yeah, I don't think it works that way.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If they had fired the manager, a good lawsuit would have resulted. Self-defense defends and supersedes everything.

Since you've already stated that your intent was to guard the cash drawer your strategy in the event of trouble seems to be to file a false police report followed by perjury if court testimony is required. It's good to have a plan, but it might be better to be a little more circumspect about it.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Door View Post
Since you've already stated that your intent was to guard the cash drawer your strategy in the event of trouble seems to be to file a false police report followed by perjury if court testimony is required. It's good to have a plan, but it might be better to be a little more circumspect about it.
Perhaps you have missed that she has mentioned several times that she used to "go with" a member of New Jersey state law enforcement, which apparently gives her unparalleled status within the criminal justice system there.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:50 PM

EVERY place I've ever worked has stated that if you're threatened with a robbery, that you're supposed to give in. If I had attempted to fight back, or assault a robber, I would have lost my job.

We were told it's not worth our lives. My sister works at a BANK, and she's told that you comply any threat.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure it's that easy to avoid an assault charge based on past injuries.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
EVERY place I've ever worked has stated that if you're threatened with a robbery, that you're supposed to give in. If I had attempted to fight back, or assault a robber, I would have lost my job.

We were told it's not worth our lives. My sister works at a BANK, and she's told that you comply any threat.
Yeah, when I took my current job working in the cash office I was told that if someone pulled a gun on me while outside the office to just give them the key and tell there where the money is, don't resist, don't stop them. No amount of money in the safe is worth my life.

That said - in the incident I related it wasn't an armed robbery. The offender first ran over the manager's foot with a motorized scooter, then physically hit her. That's not a robbery, that's an assault. From my viewpoint you should have a right to defend your physical person and apparently my current employer is in agreement.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I have seen too many fights and too much violence in the real world, the sort of stuff that leaves blood on the floor and broken bones, to view a fist-fight as "awesome".
But that was no ordinary fist-fight. It had motorized carts, numerous people, merchandise prying, cops, miranda rights, handcuffs, people dragging. Seems pretty entertaining.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

And at the end, the whole audience stood up and cheered in unison.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
But that was no ordinary fist-fight. It had motorized carts, numerous people, merchandise prying, cops, miranda rights, handcuffs, people dragging. Seems pretty entertaining.
Yeah, that's not your typical robbery. However...

I once got taken in by a quick-change scam, about a month after I started my first job. I had never heard of such a thing, and the guy ended up robbing me of 60 bucks.

After that I was told if someone wanted a large amount of change, more than they got from sale, I was to send them to the service desk.

But if someone had come up to me while I was counting my drawer, and I made a fist at them? You better believe I'd have been fired, no amount of claiming, "well, I have a bad arm" would've justified it.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 08-15-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good lord.

No, it's not "entertaining" when real people get really hurt.

I'm not opposed to actions films with fights and such - in fact, I really enjoy them. I DO NOT find it "awesome" or "entertaining" to see people actually get hurt in real life.

And, really, to be honest, that was NOT an unusual fist-fight in the context of a public space, especially when the cops are called out. What a bizarre and horrifying attitude you have.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
And, really, to be honest, that was NOT an unusual fist-fight in the context of a public space, especially when the cops are called out. What a bizarre and horrifying attitude you have.
Meh. People fight all the time. You can watch it on pay-per-view. I'm more amazed that a person jumping out of a motorized cart to fight is NOT an unusual fist-fight to you.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

I grew up in the Detroit area in the 1970's. Lots of violence then, which is why the I got the hell out of Dodge as soon as I could and why I don't like real life violence.

Yes, people fight all the time. That does not make it OK. Lots of rape and murder all the time, those aren't OK either. You can purchase kiddie porn, that does not make it OK.

Have I mentioned you are one of the most amoral/ethically impaired people I have encountered?
Old 08-15-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I grew up in the Detroit area in the 1970's. Lots of violence then, which is why the I got the hell out of Dodge as soon as I could and why I don't like real life violence.

Yes, people fight all the time. That does not make it OK. Lots of rape and murder all the time, those aren't OK either. You can purchase kiddie porn, that does not make it OK.

Have I mentioned you are one of the most amoral/ethically impaired people I have encountered?
Please quote the post where I said that fighting is OK. I bet you can't.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
This seems strange to me. I'll donate $25 to your charity of choice if you can provide proof of my amorality or ethical impairment.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Please quote the post where I said that fighting is OK. I bet you can't.
Quote:
Meh. People fight all the time. You can watch it on pay-per-view.
Seriously, that "Meh". Just this whole three sentences. You aren't bothered by people getting hurt or people paying money to watch people get hurt.

Quote:
This seems strange to me. I'll donate $25 to your charity of choice if you can provide proof of my amorality or ethical impairment.
There's a lot strange about you, with no "seem" about. And giving $25 to charity does not make up for callous disregard of other people.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Seriously, that "Meh". Just this whole three sentences. You aren't bothered by people getting hurt or people paying money to watch people get hurt.
I'm not? That seems a strange thing to say. Plus, millions of people pay money to watch people get hurt via PPV boxing and MMA fighting. Perhaps you are the odd one out?

Quote:
There's a lot strange about you, with no "seem" about. And giving $25 to charity does not make up for callous disregard of other people.
I don't have callous disregard of other people. Strange that you think that. I'm sure you have no actual posts of mine that show my immorality or being unethical. I guess you are allowed to insult other posters based on nothing but your own thoughts in any forum you want, as long as it's not misogyny.

Last edited by manson1972; 08-15-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:49 PM

Can we get back to retail stupidity? I was behind a woman in the grocery store trying her hardest to find 87 cents in the bottom of her purse. I rolled my eyes and threw a single on the belt to the amusement of the cashier, but in retrospect I'm glad Mrs. Exactchange didn't see me.

But what's the link between grey hair and the need to never break a dollar bill?
Old 08-16-2019, 02:37 AM
Charter Member

It's not the grey hair, it's that the kids are no longer using cash, just apple or google pay.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:16 AM

I was in a Petsmart once here in Arizona and heard a woman at the next register explaining that in her home state of Oregon there was no sales tax, so it would be nice if they waived it for her. The clerk: No. This led to a flurry of pleas. The clek: No. I left before I caught the end of this.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I was in a Petsmart once here in Arizona and heard a woman at the next register explaining that in her home state of Oregon there was no sales tax, so it would be nice if they waived it for her. The clerk: No. This led to a flurry of pleas. The clek: No. I left before I caught the end of this.
I grew up in Oregon, but still knew by the time I ventured into other states that sales tax is a thing in most places, and it wouldn't occur to me to assume that tax could be waived.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

I call it Customer Logic. Any errors or mistakes in their world view is always, always, in their favor. Notice she didn't assume, Well, I don't pay any sales tax at home so I guess I should pay extra here.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Oh, the correct change people. You've got four people on line, and you have to wait for them to find 97 cents. And will they give you the four quarters in their wallet? No, they have to give it to you in nickels and pennies, so you have to count it twice and sort it out to put in your charge drawer.

And then there's the idiots who keep their bills in different places by denomination, and their coins in other different places, also by denomination. By the time they've finished counting out correct change, you could have rung up three customers.