Old 07-15-2019, 12:28 AM

Which is bigger for England: 1966 Football World Cup or 2019 Cricket World Cup?

Asking this knowing I’m guessing 1/2 the posters here were probably born after 1966.

I’m going to guess the 2019 win was more dramatic, but 1966 meant more since football is a bigger sport worldwide and England all but invented it.

OR——-is there a third English sporting accomplishment even more important than these????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2019, 01:54 AM

WAG as a non-Brit: Cricket still doesn't hold a candle to football. 1966 World Cup hands down, in the eyes of the Brits.

Last edited by Velocity; 07-15-2019 at 01:54 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:20 AM

If you want to see a nation totally lose the run of itself, have England win a football World Cup. I love cricket, i love it more than football, I 'd watch it over football pretty much any day of the week but I am in the extreme minority. To put it in American terms, if you've got NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL, football in England is all 4 of them at once. Rugby and cricket are nowhere near, and until England wins another football World Cup, 1966 trumps all.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:22 AM

English person here - the football World Cup, by a considerable margin.

Put it like this, it's Monday morning in the office, and a few of the cricket loving guys are talking about it. Many people aren't, really.

If we'd just won the football World Cup, my boss might have declared it a company holiday, and we'd all still be down the pub.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:46 AM

Agreed on all counts. Winning the Rugby World Cup in 2003 was probably slightly bigger than yesterday's victory, but neither come close to winning a football World Cup. It simply has much greater mass appeal both in England and worldwide.

It is interesting to note (as many have done before me, already) that all three of these titles have involved extremely dramatic, last minute endings.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:21 AM

England chat, to the tune of Camptown Races;
“Two World Wars and one World Cup, doo dah, doo dah.”

Way more significant to the national sport psyche, beating Germany and the context.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:02 AM

On a scale of 1-10 I've got the football world cup at 10, cricket world cup at about a 7, Rugby world cup at 8, Andy Murray winning Wimbledon at 7, The GB Olympic Team triumphs or recent years at about an 8.

That's my personal assessment anyway
Old 07-15-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
On a scale of 1-10 I've got the football world cup at 10, cricket world cup at about a 7, Rugby world cup at 8, Andy Murray winning Wimbledon at 7, The GB Olympic Team triumphs or recent years at about an 8.

That's my personal assessment anyway
Just curious, can you give me a number for a hypothetical (hey, only a couple goals away) England Women's World Cup win?
Old 07-15-2019, 07:41 AM

Incidentally in one of the 1966 heros memoirs, (maybe Martin Peters?) he says that 1966 was not as big a deal when it actually happened as it later became. He pointed out there was a pretty damn good Test series that year and while people were delighted in winning, there were other sports distractions. Unlike then.

Wonder if in 20/30 years time it might be the same for this if cricket popularity recovers.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:47 AM

Getting to the semi final of the World Cup last year was a bigger deal for the majority of people

Cricket should only be played over five days anyway.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
Just curious, can you give me a number for a hypothetical (hey, only a couple goals away) England Women's World Cup win?
On the same scale (with which I happen to agree, though I wasn't alive in '66), I'd probably give it a 6. It would be a big deal, but women's sport just doesn't get the same attention (IMO, because in absolute terms the quality is demonstrably and significantly lower, albeit it is catching up fast and I found this year's WWC much more watchable than in the past).
Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
On the same scale (with which I happen to agree, though I wasn't alive in '66), I'd probably give it a 6. It would be a big deal, but women's sport just doesn't get the same attention (IMO, because in absolute terms the quality is demonstrably and significantly lower, albeit it is catching up fast and I found this year's WWC much more watchable than in the past).
I'm not sure about this. The viewing figures are starting to come out for the game yesterday and across all channels, the cricket reached 7.5m viewers, it seems. More than 10m watched the WWC semi between England and the USA, and I reckon if they'd got to the final, you'd be lumping on more.

There's a danger in conflating how consequential something is with the viewing figures for it, but I think England's women winning the football World Cup would be a bigger deal than winning the cricket has been yesterday. This is largely because it is football, I think.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 AM

Football World Cup 1966 all day long.

On the subject of cricket, here's an interesting piece of trivia:

Who was the first international game of cricket played between?
SPOILER:
The first ever international cricket game was between the US and Canada in 1844. The match was played at the grounds of the St George's Cricket Club in New York.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbrian View Post
I'm not sure about this. The viewing figures are starting to come out for the game yesterday and across all channels, the cricket reached 7.5m viewers, it seems. More than 10m watched the WWC semi between England and the USA, and I reckon if they'd got to the final, you'd be lumping on more.

There's a danger in conflating how consequential something is with the viewing figures for it, but I think England's women winning the football World Cup would be a bigger deal than winning the cricket has been yesterday. This is largely because it is football, I think.
FIFA numbers....
Its who watched at least 1 minute.
Reading actual numbers, the BBC sports page got 40 million hits for the CWCFinal vesus only 14 for Tennis.
Social Media was also dominated by the Cricket (surprisingly).
Online figures aren't out yet,
https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1150694676338544640
Old 07-15-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
2?
Old 07-15-2019, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Cricket is a distinctively British game (yes, there are other countries that play it, some with much greater populations, but they're all part of the Commonwealth). Americans don't get excited when a US team wins the baseball World Series, because of course they did. If it's really been that long since England won the Cricket World Cup, it seems to me like that's the much more interesting fact.

Nearly everyone plays association football, though. The larger the field you're competing against, the more significant the win.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Cricket is a distinctively British game (yes, there are other countries that play it, some with much greater populations, but they're all part of the Commonwealth). Americans don't get excited when a US team wins the baseball World Series, because of course they did. If it's really been that long since England won the Cricket World Cup, it seems to me like that's the much more interesting fact.

Nearly everyone plays association football, though. The larger the field you're competing against, the more significant the win.
Well, the second point I do agree with, but in your first point you imply that England really 'should' win the cricket, because it's a British game (so is football, but anyway...). Which just doesn't stack up - India and Pakistan are obsessed, it's practically the only sport they play. England may have started cricket, but we're also heavily focussed on many other sports (football, rugby, cycling, various Olympic sports, and on and on). It's also been dropping in popularity. The real question is, why don't India always win?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:18 AM

Worldwide, it would have to be the soccer World Cup, hands down. Heck, I'm not even a soccer fan, but I watch matches during the final stages of that tournament. I've never seen even a single Cricket match much less know any of the rules.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
FIFA numbers....
Its who watched at least 1 minute.
Reading actual numbers, the BBC sports page got 40 million hits for the CWCFinal vesus only 14 for Tennis.
Social Media was also dominated by the Cricket (surprisingly).
Online figures aren't out yet,
https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1150694676338544640
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...on-free-to-air

Peak TV audience in the UK - 8m for the cricket. Less than the Wimbledon men's final and well behind the semi final of the Women's World Cup figures.

I personally find it unsurprising that social media is dominated by the cricket - 1bn people love cricket across Southern Asia and are increasingly online and using British websites, as well as local ones, for the cricket - and following multiple journalists from across the globe on Twitter. A whole load of the comments to the British cricket journalists I follow (like George Dobell, Vitushan Ehantharajah, etc) and Aussie guys like Jarrod Kimber come from followers in Asia. They're massively important to the game and to helping drive money and interest, but the question is about what would be most important in England and it's pretty clear it's not the cricket. I still think if the English women won the World Cup in football, it would be a far bigger deal in the UK than the cricket has been.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:27 AM

You may be right, I won't disagree, but that women's world cup semi-final did not have to compete for viewers with the most prestigious tennis match of the year, played between two of the greatest players of all time, one of whom is a British crowd favourite going for a record-breaking win at an age when most players have long since retired. Not only that, it reached its peak (with another historic moment - the first 12-12 final set tiebreak in a Grand Slam) at more or less the same time of day.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:22 AM

If the Cricket was on BBC1 it would have a few more million viewers. If the Womens football wasn't it would have a few million less.

At work the interest in the WWC was nil, cricket slightly above nil
Old 07-15-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
If the Cricket was on BBC1 it would have a few more million viewers. If the Womens football wasn't it would have a few million less.

At work the interest in the WWC was nil, cricket slightly above nil
In a mixed office area the interest in the Women's football was zero, I don't remember a conversation. The cricket and tennis were pretty constant topics of discussion over their run.

I tried to summon up enthusiasm for the Women's world cup but the games I had on couldn't hold my attention for too long and ended up as background.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:49 PM

The Cricket World cup is a bastardised version of the real game - extremely popular though it be. There's no doubt still a few diehards left who will have 'refused to watch it, because it's not real cricket!'.

The upcoming test series against Australia will garner as much or more interest. When they finally beat Australia in 2005 after 16 years and 8 losing series, it was a bigger story than this.

The Soccer world cup is the biggest and most important sporting event in the world.

Last edited by Wallaby; 07-16-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post

This last sentence isn't necessarily true in a cricket context. Winning the CWC for sure is nice and scratches an itch, but I'd say beating the Aussies in the Ashes this summer will be more satisfying.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Well, OK, aside from specific rivalries.