Old 07-18-2019, 02:18 PM

Do you buy/read RPG supplements for fun?

I brought this up in the Watchya Reading thread and thought it might be an interesting question. I buy and read lots of RPG manuals and books for games I will probably never play. I haven't played a non PC RPG since the 90s but I have dozens of rule and source books for Gurps, D&D and other games because I enjoy reading about settings, Characters etc. Does any one else do this?
Old 07-18-2019, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

I have Paranoia, Star Wars, James Bond 007, TMNT, Top Secret, GURPS Autoduel, and maybe some I'm forgetting.

I had planned to start up an RPG BBS...

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-18-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:57 PM

Of course!

I bought Way Of The Dragon for the Book Of Five Rings system even though I have no experience with that system. The book had a neat cover, looked interesting on flip through, and was only a dollar. I read it and loved it and found much I could use in D&D, or Masquerade. Then, I loaned it to a friend who lost it (or so he claims*). I found another copy for $7 at a going out of business sale.

I bought a module for Dark Conspiracy at a sale. It looked like fun. I own no other products from Dark Conspiracy.

I bought Lords Of Chaos at a stop at roadside bookstore. It's a wonderful book even though I own no other Runequest (or is it Heroquest) products.

* Said individual still has my copies of Way Of The Dragon, 2nd ed D&D Manual Of The Planes, and the novel Fat White Vampire Blues. I've gotten new copies of the books. My trust is lost forever.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:59 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

I've bought four different editions of the GURPS rulebook. I've never played a game of GURPS; I just enjoy reading them.

And, GURPS has (had?) a long history of publishing excellent sourcebooks, to the point where many people bought the sourcebooks just because they were interested in the subject matter. I have several GURPS sourcebooks (such as Wild Cards and Vorkosigan Saga) that I bought for that very reason.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:00 PM

Not often, he wrote sheepishly.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:05 PM

Years ago, I used to subscribe to Dungeon magazine, which was a collection of AD&D modules. I usually managed to find something useful for my campaign in each issue, but also enjoyed reading things I'd never get to run.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post

And, GURPS has (had?) a long history of publishing excellent sourcebooks, to the point where many people bought the sourcebooks just because they were interested in the subject matter. I have several GURPS sourcebooks (such as Wild Cards and Vorkosigan Saga) that I bought for that very reason.
I bought GURPS Horror on sale at a Barnes & Noble. I bought Warehouse 23, Who's Who volumes 1 and 2 (for those who don't know these are books of actual people who really lived, given stats for play in GURPS. Different stats are given for the people during their lives. Optional stats are given in case you want to give say Aliester Crowley real magical powers. Great books)
Old 07-18-2019, 03:43 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

One I'd forgotten about -- I bought a reprint of the original Villains and Vigilantes RPG rulebook a couple of years ago, with no real intention of playing the game.

The game's creators, Jeff Dee and Jack Herman, did a crowdfunding campaign a few years ago, to reprint the original book, and to help with paying off some of the lawyer fees they'd run up from a long legal fight with Fantasy Games Unlimited over the rights to the game.

It's a fun book to read, as a time capsule for what RPGs were like back then, but it's not a great set of rules, and I don't plan to ever play it.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:06 PM

Back in my younger days, certainly. I especially enjoyed reading material for In Nomine, Paranoia, and HOL.

In a similar vein, I enjoy reading strategy articles on Boardgamegeek about games that I haven't played, often have no intention of playing, and don't understand much about.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:36 PM

Oh, not as many as I used to, but I've done that through all 5 editions of D&D.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:50 PM

I haven't in probably a decade. But I had tons of shit I probably was never going to play. GURPS ftw. Steve jackson games makes the best stuff to just read. Though I have played it a ton in the early 90s.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Yes.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:58 PM

I'm not even sure you can get any sort of reasonable game out of GURPS IOU (maybe some sort of one-shot), but it's a fun read.

I've got a good chunk of the old ICE Lord of the Rings stuff, West End's Star Wars, FASA's Star Trek/early Battletech/Dr Who, Scarred Lands. Never played any of them, probably never will, but really enjoyed reading them.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:24 PM

I've got every first edition Clan book, rulebook and setting splatbook for Legend of the Five Rings. I even have the Ryoko Owari box set. Never had the opportunity to run or even play the game. I also got a huge Deadlands trove, but I did run a game of that once. In the 1920s. For 30 minutes.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post
Back in my younger days, certainly. I especially enjoyed reading material for In Nomine, Paranoia, and HOL.
I own HOL and its supplement, Buttery Wholesomeness. They are awesome and hilarious books.

Ive never run or played a game. Im not sure Id like to. But they are really fun to read.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:08 AM

the top secret si series had some really detailed books on real espionage cases and really specific info on terror groups in the 80s and 90s (rumor has it some of the authors were "consultants" from CIA/MI 5/6 and Mossad")it was fasciniating to read ... we never ran a game just made some character sheets..

I had 80 percent of the shadowrun novels but never got to play game of it ... in fact i think infovore writes the new ones them occasionally
Old 07-19-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Even if you don't play 3rd edition D&D, the section of Tome of Magic on the vestiges is great reading. A thief who stole his own soul from the afterlife, an architect who designed a prison so secure that even he couldn't escape it, not even in death, a lich who tried to bond his essence to an entire plane of existence, but failed: There's some good stuff in there.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:53 AM

Not super often, but I have. I bought the Everquest D20 books for the extra lore and to see how they converted the monsters, magic items and other stuff. I bought Bunnies & Burrows just for the fun of it and continued to buy the Wraith: the Oblivion source books long after it was obvious that I'd never be seriously playing it just because I liked the setting and found the skills/powers interesting (in theory). Actually, I bought the Atlanta campaign setting and Legionaries W:tO books at Half-Price Books a few months ago.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:07 PM

Not being the most outgoing person, I never made a whole lot of effort to seek out actual games back in the day. But reading about this spell you could cast or that mech you could pilot was absorbing.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:38 PM

Back in high school I must have bought the Codex for every Warhammer 40K faction. The drawings had aesthetic quality, the descriptions were good in terms of atmosphere and humor and it was fun to play around with the possibilities, speculate about strategies. I've had similar fun coming up with team compositions in X-com multiplayer.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 07-21-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:15 PM

Glad to see GURPS getting some love. I read the core books over and over. The one source book I couldn't get enough of was the old Fantasy one detailing the world of Yrth. I always washed to run a campaign where players created themselves as characters, got transported to Yrth and gained abilities due to the increased magic. Never got to do that.

I also read the shit out if the original version of the Star Wars RPG, especially Cracken's Rebel Field Guide, written as an in-universe manual for Rebel Alliance soldiers and operatives.

Vampire: The Masquerade had good lore, if a bit derivative.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:52 AM

Even though I am still an avid roleplayer, I won a lot of stuff that will never see Play. Especially now with Humble Bundles it gets worse. I have all the Brandon Sanderson RPG's, different Editions of the Warhammer RPG and something I forgot the Name of but basically it was National Enquirer Headlines are all True: The RPG. It was worth it for the random Headline Generator alone.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Vampire: The Masquerade had good lore, if a bit derivative.
That reminds me of this old comic:
http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/u..._20030908h.jpg
Old 07-22-2019, 04:39 PM

I'm currently only running one system for my group, but I do collect core books from other systems without plans to run them, mainly because I find it interesting to see how the rules are different and what types of games they excel at.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:40 PM

Yes, I do this, though it's been a while. Star Wars, DnD, and Battletech game books were some of my favorites.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:47 PM

The ratio between RPG products I have bought to RPG products I have actually played s probably 10:1 or higher. I don't buy as much as I used to, however.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:42 PM

Yeah, I got a good chunk of mine from Half Price Books, and there's just not as many people getting rid of their old collections anymore (and of those, the good/interesting ones now seem to be mostly moved to the locked cabinets where they are more Double Price books).

Yeah, I could get PDFs and all, I suppose, but it's just not the same. (particularly on the toilet...)
Old 07-22-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Glad to see GURPS getting some love. I read the core books over and over...
I know, right? Usually when I'm asked what I did in high school, I say track and D&D. Even though i really mostly played GURPS. I got sick of trying to explain what GURPS was/is. My point is that you are all fucking NEEEEEERRRRRRRRDDDDS, and I love you.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:36 PM

Back in the 80's and 90's, I purchased a ton of games that I never got a chance to play. I have a 2-row book case full of Avalon Hill games, Twilight 2000, etcetera.

I play Pathfinder today, and I still occasionally buy supplements and modules that I'm never likely to play, just for the sheer joy of reading them and gleaning ideas from them.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:29 PM

I have a lot of gamer geek friends, and together they probably have every edition of D&D rulebooks and Pathfinder modules.

I have my old Rolemaster 1st edition rulebooks, all beaten and battered throughout the years. A friend found a source where that had all the Rolemaster products in PDF form, so I grabbed everything I could find. I found Darkspace, which I lost years ago, along with all sorts of SF and Fantasy genres: Samurai, Cyberpunk, Space Master, Greek, Egyptian...
Old 07-23-2019, 02:54 PM

Well, I apparently don't buy them so I can play with them, so I'll go with yes.