Old 07-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

CFL Plays: 104 yard TD run

Went to the game last night, Roughriders v BC Lions. Jon Ryan, late of the Seahawks, now with the hometown Riders, opened the score with a single: 1-0 Riders.

See-saw match, with the lead shifting back and forth. Then, with a minute to go in the first half, the Lions scored a TD. Up by six, ready to go to half-time; was it the dread "momentum-change"?

Well, no, actually, quite the reverse. On the very next play, the kick-off, Marcus Thigpen fields it on the 104 yard line and runs it all the way for a TD! Beats tackles from half of the Lions, and plain outruns the rest of them: Thigpen's run. It's the Riders who go to the locker run on a high.

Riders eventually won, 38-25. Cody Fajardo (played for Nevada), the Riders' back-up QB who's filling in, also had a great game: threw two TDs and ran it in himself for third.

Great game to watch in the stands. Lovely evening.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Went to the game last night, Roughriders v BC Lions. Jon Ryan, late of the Seahawks, now with the hometown Riders, opened the score with a single: 1-0 Riders.
I miss Jon Ryan. He was a stud. And so funny. (Itís no wonder he married a stand-up comedienne.)
Old 07-21-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

He's come full circle. I remember when he was the star player on one of the local high schools. Come back home to finish his career.

Still has quite a leg - two punts in the game for singles. One was called off because of procedure, but resulted in the other team having to give up a safety instead, for two points.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
On the very next play, the kick-off, Marcus Thigpen fields it on the 104 yard line and runs it all the way for a TD! Beats tackles from half of the Lions, and plain outruns the rest of them: Thigpen's run.
A great run! Nice to see him, at the end and in ghe end zone, to toss the ball to fans in the stands.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:41 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Maybe I am missing something but "Marcus Thigpen fields it on the 104 yard line"? Did you mean the 4 yard line, making it a 106 yard run?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

CFL fields are 110 yards long between goal lines. A 104-yard run starts on your own 6.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:30 PM

The NFL and NCAA FB can have returns longer than 100 yards. Kickoff, punt , missed FG, or interception returns can start in the endzone.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

For the record, the longest CFL punt return is 113 yards. The longest kickoff return is 120 yards.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

There's no way that was a 104 yard run. The field is 110 yards from goal line to goal line and he clearly caught it on the 10 or perhaps 11 yard line. The run was 110 or 99 yards unless they get credit for running some distance into the opposite end zone?
Old 07-22-2019, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Maybe I am missing something but "Marcus Thigpen fields it on the 104 yard line"? Did you mean the 4 yard line, making it a 106 yard run?
It's a special CFL term called a "typo".

Last edited by Northern Piper; 07-22-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

And we're back!

Sask Riders are visiting BC in a back-to-back game.

Lions have a terrible record defending their QB, Reilly. Going into this game, he'd been sacked 21 times in 6 games.

After the second play of the game, make that 22 sacks. Oops. And 24 sacks by half-time.

And the Riders have another run-back for a TD. This time by Purefoy, for 108 yards. Apparently only the second time in Riders' history for TD run-backs in back-to-back games.

Riders leading a minute before half-time, 26-3. Riders drive sputters, so they go for a field goal.

Wide!

BC player fields it and runs it out of the end-zone. And breaks a few tackles. And keeps running. And breaks a few more tackles. And runs it in for a TD! 118 yard run! Great play by BC, but "ouch" as a Riders fan.

26-10 at half-time.