Old 07-23-2019, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Strange things in Northern BC: quintuple murder, by one guy, or triple murder by two guys?

Strange story out of northern British Columbia.

On the weekend, there was a story about a young traveling couple found brutally murdered: he was an Aussie, she was an American. The young woman's mom told the media that they wouldn't be able to have an open casket because of the extent of her injuries. The guy's dead is an inspector with the police in New South Wales and came to Canada to see his son's body and work with the RCMP on the case.

The couple was last seen arguing with a bearded man by the side of the highway.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...e94b88936a2f9e

Then yesterday, the police announced they were looking for a couple of late teenage guys who had been driving north to Yukon, looking for work. Their families had reported them missing and were worried.

Last night, the police reported they'd found the vehicle of the two guys, burning on the side of the road in northern BC. Quite a distance from where the couple had been found, but fears started to circulate of a serial killer in northern BC.

Then the police announced they had found the body if a fifth person - a heavily bearded man near the burning van of the two teenaged guys. Did he match the description of the bearded guy seen arguing with the US-Aussie couple? Police didn't say. It's not like northern BC is short of heavily bearded guys. Or had he been killed by the killer, who had kidnapped the two teenagers? Were they even still alive?

Then just befor 5 pm this evening, the RCMP announced that the two teenaged boys are considered suspects in at least one murder. They are said to have been spotted in northern Saskatchewan, and possibly northern Manitoba ("north" here presumably meaning south if the tree line, but north of the Yellowhead, travelling on lesser-used highways?)

And the Mounties have issued a public bulletin: they are considered dangerous. If seen, do not approach. Call 911 at the earliest safe opportunity.

And one the teenagers is bearded.

Did they kill the couple, then some other guy to take his vehicle, and set their own on fire?

Things that make you go hmmm....

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...-investigation

Last edited by Northern Piper; 07-23-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

An older article about the dead man found near the burning truck:

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/britis...1_4518599.html
Old 07-23-2019, 10:00 PM

I read about this a few days ago, when the couple were found. It just gets stranger and more horrorshow with every day, it seems.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

And another story, with reactions to the news from family and friends of the two guys:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...lumbia-murders

Last edited by Northern Piper; 07-23-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

And, it's not clear if they're considered suspects in three deaths, or just the one man found near their burnt-out van. Their van was several hundred kilometres from the young couple. Teenage guys' movements are not known. Northern BC is big. So could the one death of the man perhaps not be related at all to the couple?

Wait and see ...
Old 07-24-2019, 01:04 AM

I'm from Port Alberni - the town where the two boys are from. I've seen them both at Walmart where they worked. I was talking to Kam's babysitter (from years ago) today and we're all just stunned at the turn of events. We've all gone from thinking those poor boys were dead somewhere out in the forest to realizing that they are the murderers.

Last I heard is they've made it to Manitoba. There's a very good chance that more people will die and I'm guessing they'll die in some sort of shoot-out.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:33 AM
Charter Member

This has been all over the national and even local news. If they are heading eastward and have arrived in Manitoba right now, I wonder what they're hoping to do.

Continue heading eastward into Ontario? There's only one road crossing (at Nipigon, which the OPP could shut down pretty quickly), and two rail crossings, one at Nipigon, alongside the road crossing; and one farther north, but which has no road access, and nothing but tiny settlements until you get to Capreol. Other than those routes, going from Manitoba to Ontario involves dealing with Canadian Shield bush.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Strange things in Northern BC: quintuple murder, by one guy, or triple murder by two guys?

It's now a nation-wide hunt, but you're right Spoons - there's the choke point travelling east.

Apparently the two more recent photos are from a store in Meadow Lake in northern Sask.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5675920/2...c-manhunt/amp/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rN7BrJYJrDI

Last edited by Northern Piper; 07-24-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

It looks like they may well be in the Gillam area. The RCMP have found another burnt-out vehicle near the Fox Lake Cree Nation, which they think is the grey Rav 4 that they were driving when they were in Meadow Lake.

If so, they're definitely staying way north: Meadow Lake is near the tree line in Saskatchewan, and Gillam is the end of the road. The mayor commented that the only way out is to go back to Thomson Manitoba to the south, or get on the train to Churchill on the shore of Hudson Bay.

Manitoba RCMP finds burned vehicle of men wanted in connection with three northern B.C. deaths

Meadow Lake, SK

Gillam, Manitoba

Last edited by Northern Piper; 07-24-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:57 PM

AP story: Father: Canadian manhunt will end in son's death
Quote:
The father of one of the suspects in the slaying of an American woman, her Australian boyfriend and another man said Wednesday he expects a nationwide manhunt to end in the death of his son, who is on “a suicide mission.”

The grim prediction came as Canadian police said they were setting up roadblocks around the remote Manitoba town of Gillam, where two young suspects, 19-year-old Kam McLeod and 18-year-old Bryer Schmegelsky, recently left a burned-out vehicle they had been traveling in.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Cpl. Julie Courchaine said police “are coming from all over” to Gillam, which is more than 2,000 miles away from a region in northern British Columbia where another burned vehicle was found Friday and where the three people were apparently killed.
Quote:
Schmegelsky’s father, Alan Schmegelsky, said Wednesday that his son had a troubled upbringing and is in “very serious pain.” His son struggled through his parents’ acrimonious split in 2005 and his main influences became video games and YouTube, the father said.

“A normal child doesn’t travel across the country killing people. A child in some very serious pain does,” Alan Schmegelsky told Canadian Press. He said he expects his son will die in a confrontation with police.

“He’s on a suicide mission. He wants his pain to end,” the father said, breaking into tears. “Basically, he’s going to be dead today or tomorrow. I know that. Rest in peace, Bryer. I love you. I’m so sorry all this had to happen.”

Even if his son is caught, his life will be over, he said. “He wants his hurt to end. They’re going to go out in a blaze of glory. Trust me on this.”
This is very, very sad.
Quote:
His son doesn’t own any firearms and doesn’t know how to drive, Alan Schmegelsky said. He worked at the Port Alberni Walmart after graduating from high school earlier this year, but was disappointed with the job and told his dad he was setting off to Alberta with McLeod to look for work.

The father recalled that his son bought a nice black suit with his second paycheck from Walmart.

“Now I realize it’s his funeral suit,” he said.
Quote:
In Port Alberni, signs with “No Trespassing” were staked outside McLeod’s large waterfront family home. His father, Keith McLeod, released a written statement.

“This is what I do know — Kam is a kind, considerate, caring young man (who) always has been concerned about other people’s feelings,” McLeod said.

“As we are trapped in our homes due to media people, we try to wrap our heads around what is happening and hope that Kam will come home to us safely so we can all get to the bottom of this story.”

3 lives already ended, 2 more a likely possibility and all for naught.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-24-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

They've now been charged with the murder of the man who was found near their first vehicle. The dead man has been identified as a professor of marine botany from UBC.

No charges in relation to the young couple, but they are considered suspects by the police.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 07-25-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
AP story: Father: Canadian manhunt will end in son's deathThis is very, very sad.

3 lives already ended, 2 more a likely possibility and all for naught.
That father comes across as a nutter. Instead of encouraging his son to turn himself in and stopping the madness, he encourages him to go down shooting.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

No news.

RCMP, military and First Nations groups are all putting resources into the search near Gillam and Fox River First Nation.

Terrain sounds horrible: marshy, muskeg, bugs, forest.

One news item suggested someone may have inadvertently helped them leave Gillam (hitchhiking?) but that item seems to have petered out.

RCMP pour gear, personnel into search for B.C. murder suspects in northern Manitoba

Quote:
Canadian Forces aircraft arrived in Gillam to assist with the search on Saturday. In a statement, the military said a CC-130H Hercules aircraft from 435 Transport and Rescue Squadron in Winnipeg would be joining the efforts. The Bear Clan Patrol, an Indigenous-led foot patrol group, also has volunteers on the ground in Fox Lake Cree Nation and York Landing First Nation, according to the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs.
Quote:
As a result of the prolonged searches, the town of Gillam has been on high alert, Karen Donnellan-Fisher, the general manager of the local Co-op, told Global News.

“We have a couple of locations where employees will generally work by themselves because it’s quieter locations, and now we’ve upped that where nobody is being left alone at any time,” she said.

Gillam resident Christine Massan locked her doors for the first time in nearly two decades this past week, when her normally quiet town was thrust into the national spotlight.

“I locked my doors for the first time in 19 years on Tuesday night,” she said. “Brought my keys in from my vehicle and locked the doors.”

Last edited by Northern Piper; 07-28-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:03 PM

The Mounties will get their man.

Anyone else automatically think of Dudley Do-Right and Snidely Whiplash?

But seriously, I hope these two killers are captured soon. The RCMP has an excellent reputation in law enforcement.

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-28-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:17 PM

CBC
Quote:
Alan Schmegelsky said that his son took him to an Army Surplus store eight months ago in his hometown of Port Alberni, B.C., and that Bryer was excited about the Nazi items there.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
The Mounties will get their man.

Anyone else automatically think of Dudley Do-Right and Snidely Whiplash?
Kam certainly has the Snidely mustache.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:34 PM

This may turn out to be one of those situations where there are simultaneous sightings all over the country:

Quote:
Mounties in Manitoba have pivoted to York Landing after two B.C. murder suspects were spotted scavenging at a landfill earlier today.

In an update on Sunday, Manitoba RCMP said they were responding to a tip that Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky were spotted in the community. Despite reports on social media, neither are in custody, RCMP said in a tweet. "RCMP officers remain in the community of York Landing & continue to investigate the reported sighting of the two suspects," it said. "All required resources are being used in this ongoing investigation."

York Landing is around 200 kilometres southwest of Gillam, Manitoba, where RCMP and the military had been focusing their search efforts over the last week. Police closed in on the community after security patrollers saw two men scavenging at the local dump.
https://www.humboldtjournal.ca/north...ing-1.23899024
Old 07-29-2019, 08:17 AM

The one Dad has already written a book. Nothing like capitalizing on your son's murder spree before he is even caught...
Old 07-31-2019, 07:33 PM

Canadian police scale down manhunt for fugitive teenagers.
Quote:
Canadian police said Wednesday they are scaling down but not abandoning the hunt in a remote and rugged part of northern Manitoba for two teenagers suspected of killing a college professor, a North Carolina woman and her Australian boyfriend.

Over the last nine days, police and others have used helicopters, drones, boats and dogs to search approximately 4,200 square miles (11,000 square kilometers) of tundra, muskeg and dense forests. At one point a military Hercules aircraft was used in the search, which has stretched across three provinces.

“To be clear, we’re not ending the search,” Royal Canadian Mounted Police Assistant Commissioner Jane MacLatchy told a news conference in Winnipeg.

“I know that today’s news is not what the families of the victims and the communities of northern Manitoba wanted to hear. But when searching for people in vast, remote and rugged locations, it is always a possibility that they are not immediately located,” she said.

Over the next week there will be a phased withdrawal of RCMP and military personnel and assets from the Gillam area, about 660 miles (1,100 kilometers) north of Winnipeg, where a burnt out vehicle belonging to the suspects was found last week. MacLatchy wouldn’t say how many officers will remain involved in the search.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Has any Canadian criminal on the run try to make it to the USA to hide? I know that sometimes American criminals go north to Canada.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

They are far, far away from the US , and as far as is known, without a vehicle. Northern Manitoba is extremely remote.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dongyang2016 View Post
Has any Canadian criminal on the run try to make it to the USA to hide? I know that sometimes American criminals go north to Canada.
Likely a few have, but owing to a lot of cooperation between police and other authorities on both sides of the border, plus the extradition treaties that exist between the two countries, it's not a guarantee of getting away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
They are far, far away from the US , and as far as is known, without a vehicle. Northern Manitoba is extremely remote.
CTV News was reporting today that they may have been spotted in Kapuskasing, Ontario. The news had few details on this angle, but I guess we will see whether it can be confirmed, or whether it was a mistake.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
The one Dad has already written a book. Nothing like capitalizing on your son's murder spree before he is even caught...
How do you write a book in two weeks?
Old 08-01-2019, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

You hire a ghostwriter, who can hammer out a book in two weeks, and who agrees to put your name on it.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:55 AM

Sounds like the Canadians need to revive Mantracker
Old 08-01-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dongyang2016 View Post
Travis Baumgartner comes to mind.
Quote:
Baumgartner, a trainee armed guard with G4S Cash Solutions, gunned down his four co-workers, killing Michelle Shegelski, Edgardo Rejano and Brian Ilesic, and leaving a fourth, Matthew Schuman, with serious brain injuries...

After a two-day manhunt, he was arrested while trying to cross the border into Lynden, Wash. He had $333,580 in cash in a backpack when he was captured.
https://murderpedia.org/male.B/b/baumgartner-travis.htm
Old 08-01-2019, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Reckon they're dead already?
Old 08-01-2019, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Wouldn't be surprised. It's pretty unforgiving terrain.

There's no indication that they stole another vehicle to get out, and if they've been there in the bush for a week, you have to wonder what they're eating.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:31 AM
Charter Member

They had plenty of time to buy lots of provisions. The terrain may be unforgiving, but it's not that dangerous. The predators in the area are mostly the type that avoid humans if possible, except for the occasional polar bear if they're headed north towards Churchill. There's really no reason to think they'd be dead after a week or two. It takes quite a while to starve if you start out with some rations.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:52 AM

If they are still in the Gillam area, their worst problem for the next month will be getting lost and bogged down. After that, the weather will not be as nice, and I would not give them odds of surviving the winter. If they have not hitched or stolen a ride south yet, the seasons' clock is ticking against them.

At this time of year the weather is good -- hot in the day, cool at night, but not so cool at night as to be a problem. The bugs in the day will be a nasty embuggerance, but won't disable or kill the killers.

The terrain up that way near Gillam is OK, but since it is relatively flat there are a lot of wetlands, so they wouldn't get far on foot off-road (muskeg is miserable to try to walk on without breaking through). The fish are plentiful, so if the murderers have half a brain between them they should not starve (when a co-worker and I were fishing between between Gillam and Thompson, it was cast and reel in a fish, cast and reel in a fish -- no sitting about waiting for a fish to bite). If they can't figure out how to catch suicidal fish, they can get some sustenance from ants which are more than plentiful and easy to find in the somewhat sandy soil type.

Gillam is in black bear country, but it is exceedingly rare for a black bear to hunt a person (although it would be ironic if a crazed black bear killed the two crazed murderers). Gillam is at the extreme southern limit of polar bears, so the odds of coming across one are remote. Grizzly bears are extirpated in Manitoba, but occasionally one wanders through, so again the odds of coming across one are remote. In any event, being two tall men and a gun significantly improves their odds should there be a chance encounter with a hungry bear.

Last edited by Muffin; 08-02-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:01 PM

Interesting article about a couple of Germans canoeing who had to trek through the wilderness instead:
https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...rman-tourists/

Last edited by gkster; 08-02-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:22 AM

They could be in Ontario:
Quote:
The uneasiness felt across northern Manitoba over two fugitives believed to be dangerous may be brewing in Ontario.

Provincial police confirmed Wednesday that officers received a report of two “suspicious” men driving a white vehicle through a construction site near Highway 11 in Kapuskasing, Ont., at around 10:30 a.m.

The caller told police they believed the men inside the vehicle were Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod — the friends accused in the deaths of three people in northern British Columbia.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:50 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ders-1.5235682
Quote:
Paola Loriggio · The Canadian Press · Posted: Aug 03, 2019 11:10 AM ET

. . . .

A few possible sightings were reported in Ontario at a time when the hunt for the suspects was focused in Manitoba, and those were dealt with by local detachments, said Staff Sgt. Carolle Dionne.

But reports have been pouring in over recent days, with more than 30 coming in over eight hours Thursday, she said. As a result, a team was created to investigate the tips in a centralized manner, including revisiting earlier reports, she said.
The possible sighting in Kap stood out because it was alleged that one of the persons in the vehicle waived a gun while passing a road construction crew.

When I first saw the photo of McLeod I did a double take, for he looks just like one of my telemark students.

Last edited by Muffin; 08-03-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:08 PM

Too many sightings and tips from BC to Ontario. For all I know, they could be doing manual labor in the Northwest Territories and not be found for years.

I will say this though: people aren't kidding when they say Canada is Huge. Also, living/breathing people are found... even in Canada... lots faster than corpses in far remote woods.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Two bodies found in Canada are believed to be of the two teen suspects wanted for multiple murders, officials said at a press conference on Wednesday.

"At 10am this morning, Manitoba RCMP officers located the bodies of two males, believed to be the BC suspects, near the shoreline of the Nelson River (approx 8km from the burnt vehicle)," the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said in a statement on Twitter.

"The search is over," officials said.
https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=64798060
Old 08-07-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Well, that would explain why the FLIR-equipped aircraft weren't finding anything. No word yet on cause of death.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:48 PM

I've been following this story over the past two weeks, and I think a former RCMP officer interviewed by the CBC summed it up well. The search activity in the northern Manitoba area where they were last seen was one of the most intensive manhunts I've heard about in recent years. It included aircraft and helicopters with infrared imaging and extensive ground searches including door-to-door searches of every building in Gillam, MB and the town of York Landing that they might have reached, and roadblocks out of the area. So earlier on he had speculated that either they had help from someone to escape well away from the area, or else they would be found deceased. Cause of death will be determined by an autopsy but I'm going to guess suicide was a likely possibility, as they were in deep wilderness with no resources and the whole country on the lookout for them.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:36 PM

The folks between Thomson and the Bay must be very relieved. Gotta wonder if the murderers killed themselves 'cause that's what psycho killers often do, or if they could not handle the bugs. Part of me is sad that whatever small piece of humanity that might have remained in them could not be helped, but an even bigger part of me says "good riddance." I hope that knowing what has become of the murderers will help the grieving parents and the grieving spouse as they try to find closure over the years.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

They were only 5 miles from their car. I wondered if they are 2 more victims and the killer is still out there? There really wasn't anything to confirm them as the killers except their presumed absence from the scene, was there?

StG
Old 08-07-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
They were only 5 miles from their car. I wondered if they are 2 more victims and the killer is still out there? There really wasn't anything to confirm them as the killers except their presumed absence from the scene, was there?
Yes there was, but I haven't seen many details about the evidence. They were charged with the murder of UBC botany prof Leonard Dyck and were suspects in the murder of the other couple, and murder charges aren't laid lightly. They were also described as armed and dangerous and the subjects of one of the most extensive manhunts ever. They torched their own car and were obviously on the run. The evidence against them was obviously a lot more than just a hunch.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Plus, the two teens' bodies were found about 2000 km from where the other people were killed, and there's not been any indication that they were travelling with a third person. All of the sightings in Saskatchewan and Manitoba were of just the two.

For another person to be responsible for all five deaths, that person would have had to follow the two of them for 2000 miles and not be detected in the manhunt in northern Manitoba.

And if the two teens weren't fleeing justice, why did they end up in northern Manitoba, avoiding all human contact?

Last edited by Northern Piper; 08-07-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:51 PM

They tried escaping down the river in a boat.

The boat and their bodies were found. Apparently it overturned in the river. Seems cut & dried to me.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:23 PM

Well, it's undoubtedly them, but until autopsies are performed we have no idea what killed them.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:

The boat and their bodies were found. Apparently it overturned in the river. Seems cut & dried to me.
That is one theory. The police did find some items that they said belonged to the two near a damaged boat. This is what let the police to search very intensively in the area around the boat. I would not be surprised if the police used cadaver search dogs to find them. The two were apparently found within a kilometer of the boat in the bush. I'd be willing to bet that the time of death will be estimated to be around July 25 or 26, and it will have been murder/suicide. No doubt we'll know more in the coming weeks.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:

From the article: "The remains of two men were found Wednesday at around 10 a.m local time in dense brush". Emphasis mine.

There is no indication that they drowned or that the boat had anything to do with their demise.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Mounties searched over 11,000 sq. km for murder suspects

https://globalnews.ca/news/5739806/r...arch-area/amp/

Article summarising the search efforts, with statement from the Commissioner of the RCMP.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Probably not dried, if that has theory has any truth to it.

What?
Old 08-08-2019, 05:14 PM

Cut and dried is a common expression that I've used since childhood. Merriam Webster suggests using hyphens.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict.../cut-and-dried

I'm curious to learn what did happen to these suspects. It It took one heck of a hit to bend the sides of that boat.

It'll probably take a few weeks before the authorities say what actually happened.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-08-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFacts View Post
Probably not dried, if that has theory has any truth to it.

What?
Quote:
Cut and dried is a common expression that I've used since childhood. Merriam Webster suggests using hyphens.

Woosh!
Old 08-08-2019, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict.../cut-and-dried

I'm curious to learn what did happen to these suspects. It It took one heck of a hit to bend the sides of that boat.

I read an article after the boat was found, quoting a local person saying that there was a waterfall upriver of where it was found, that is not readily apparent until you're pretty close to it.

Going over a waterfall could bend an aluminium boat.