Old 07-31-2019, 11:10 AM

Remember the 1972 Dolphins Perfect Season? Nick Buoniconti has died.

ESPN ó Hall of Fame LB Nick Buoniconti dead at 78

I was a young and impressionable boy of 11 for Super Bowl VII. Living in Upstate New York, with my university prof father, we were regular snowbirds road-tripping it down to Florida every winter, mom and dad and us 5 kids in the station wagon. And we became fans of the Dolphins, who then were doing well and were the first team to go to three straight Super Bowls (VI, VII, and VIII). We cried when the Cowboys beat them in Super Bowl VI, a 24-3 shellacking, and we rejoiced when they beat the Redskins in VII, 14-7, and the Vikings in VIII by a dominant 24-7 (dominant by 1970s scoring standards).

I remember me the oldest in my 42 Paul Warfield jersey, my next younger brother in his 21 Jim Kiick jersey, and my next younger brother in his 12 Bob Griese jersey ó as we toured Florida and Cocoa Beach and Cape Kennedy and the Everglades, I donít think we ever took them off except to sleep at night.

Good memories!

Thank you, Nick Buoniconti. And Rest in Peace. Iíll see you on the other side when the Good Lord calls me home too.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:19 AM

No, but I did see a special on him a few months ago. He was in very bad shape then from the CTE. I'm sorry to hear of his passing, but he was fast heading for a life that really wouldn't have been worth living.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:48 AM

CTE is terrible. Besides that, years ago his son was injured playing football and is paralyzed — in high school I think, or maybe college. I would need to look it up.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Besides that, years ago his son was injured playing football and is paralyzed ó in high school I think, or maybe college. I would need to look it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis was founded in 1985 after Marc Buoniconti was paralyzed from the shoulders down after sustaining a hit during a college football game.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
CTE is terrible. Besides that, years ago his son was injured playing football and is paralyzed ó in high school I think, or maybe college. I would need to look it up.
Playing linebacker for The Citadel, I want to say. He was a host on HBO's, "Inside The NFL" with Len Dawson way back when. Decent show. I also want to say that he discussed his son's injury on the show at some point, and that he left the show to focus on his son's recovery and associated charitable work, shortly thereafter.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:23 PM

According to wiki, he got his law degree and was President of the United States Tobacco Company and a leading critic of studies that showed smokeless tobacco caused cancer.

RIP Nick. I watched you play football in my youth.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:38 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

My sister is a nurse and worked closely with a little girl who became the poster child for the Miami Project one year. She had the chance to interact with Nick and Marc on several occasions and had nothing but great things to say about the entire family.