Old 07-31-2019, 03:01 PM

The average AL ballpark is 10 years older than an NL park

We're planning a trip to St. Louis in late September and will be taking in a Cardinals game at Busch Stadium. It got me to thinking about the age of MLB ballparks. A little over a decade ago, I posted about the ages of National League MLB ballparks. That post is outdated now, as the Braves have a new park that opened in 2017, and the Marlins and Mets have moved into their new parks. I decided to have some Excel fun over my lunch break today and added up the debut years of the NL parks and divided by 16; even with Wrigley Field (1916) and Dodgers Stadium (1962) included, the average NL park was built in 1996 (making Coors Field, built in 1995 and the third-oldest NL park, one year older than the average).

The Texas Rangers will be departing quarter-century-old Globe Life Park next year but for now, the average AL park was built in 1986 (rounding up from 1985.666 ...).

Taking out the outliers of Wrigley and Dodgers Stadium, and Fenway (1912) and Angel Stadium and RingCentral Stadium (? -- Oakland Coliseum; who can keep up?) (1966), the respective averages move up to 2004 for the NL and 1995 for the AL.

Besides the Rangers, are any other teams moving to new parks in the near future? I know the Tampa Bay Rays and Oakland A's are jonesin' for new digs, but to my knowledge nothing's definite.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Would you count the whole Tampa Bay/Montreal shuffle as a plan, or just a thought?
Old 08-01-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
Would you count the whole Tampa Bay/Montreal shuffle as a plan, or just a thought?
I suppose I'd consider it an ill-advised thought rather than a plan, because as I understand it the deal would include building two new stadiums. I don't see how it could possibly be a success -- getting players who are willing to uproot their families halfway through the season, and then back again to the United States before school starts in the fall, is one hurdle, beyond practical matters like securing financing for two structure that will be used 2-3 months a year.

Last edited by Gordon Urquhart; 08-01-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:50 AM

Speaking locally, Nationals Park is brand new and Oriole Park at Camden Yards is pushing 30 but it's still a great park and I've not heard anything even resembling talk of replacing it anytime soon, and I can't imagine that will be on the table for decades, at least, if ever.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:08 PM

It's hard to believe that Oriole Park at Camden Yards is that old (built in 1992), but time does fly. It, of course, was the first of the retro-designed parks built in the 1990s, and influenced many ballpark designs for at least a decade. I'm happy that cities/regions decided to go the route of baseball-only stadiums beginning with Oriole Park -- they've all got their unique charms and most take advantage of their geographic location in the city to show off skylines or bays or mountain ranges.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:47 PM

Why are you dividing by 16? There are 15 teams in the NL. Are you still including the Astros in the NL as per your original list. If so, shifting them to the AL will help the AL numbers a bit.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0X0F View Post
Why are you dividing by 16? There are 15 teams in the NL. Are you still including the Astros in the NL as per your original list. If so, shifting them to the AL will help the AL numbers a bit.
You're absolutely right -- I didn't notice that I kept Minute Maid in the NL for the current exercise. That makes the average NL park 1995.733 (we'll go ahead and say 1996) and the average AL park 1985.667, or 1986. Doesn't change the final result, but I appreciate you letting me know about that.