Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-01-2019, 07:15 AM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,713

Siriusly Hot: August Mini-Rants


The gods of alimentary byproducts are out to get me.

Last night I had to plunge the toilet in the first floor powder room (ew). This morning Shiva decided to piss all over the carrier I use as his feeding station. I left paper towels soaking that up since I didn't have time to do an actual cleaning. That'll be fun to come home to.

(This is the same cat I was telling to shut up. He was in full voice again last night. Thirty minutes of wailing for no discernible reason. ARGH!)
  #2  
Old 08-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Swampwolf is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 2,036
Why do I have to cajole two of my three cats into taking treats? They're treats! You like them. I know you do! So they can't be in a pile here or there and NO DAD, THAT'S TOO MANY! I MUST BURY THEM! I finally figure out that my girl wants exactly three, which have to be on the ottoman, and my youngest wants four in the hallway. Meanwhile their older brother, who already ate his in what would be record time for another cat, is sniffing at the original spot his siblings' were and looking at me as if to say, "Father, pray tell what happened to the six, wait--seven treats that were here exactly forty-seven seconds ago?"

Cats is weird.
  #3  
Old 08-01-2019, 08:44 AM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwolf View Post
<snip>
Cats is weird.
"In ancient times, the Egyptians worshipped cats as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

And they let us know, every single minute of every single day.
  #4  
Old 08-01-2019, 08:57 AM
Guest-starring: Id!'s Avatar
Guest-starring: Id! is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post

(This is the same cat I was telling to shut up. He was in full voice again last night. Thirty minutes of wailing for no discernible reason. ARGH!)
An old family cat used to do that. Soon discovered after that trend began that there were crystallized kidney problems. That's hopefully not the issue here.
If you happen to notice kitty spending an inordinate amount of time in the litter box, however...
  #5  
Old 08-01-2019, 09:22 AM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
An old family cat used to do that. Soon discovered after that trend began that there were crystallized kidney problems. That's hopefully not the issue here.
If you happen to notice kitty spending an inordinate amount of time in the litter box, however...
Thankfully, I know it's not that because his urine is (expensively) checked on a regular basis thanks to his IBD and (newly diagnosed) hyperthyroidism and the doctor wanting to keep a check on how various liver functions are being affected by his diet and medication via urinalysis. As long as they're doing all that, they sift for crystals, too.
  #6  
Old 08-01-2019, 09:43 AM
Swampwolf is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
"In ancient times, the Egyptians worshipped cats as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

And they let us know, every single minute of every single day.
Last year's X-mas present from The Greatest Wife in the WorldTM
  #7  
Old 08-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,534
Oh, I thought we were gathered here to bitch about Sirius XM radio. They're freakin' killing me with The Who and the bloody Doors on Classic Vinyl!


Uh, other than that, August has been peachy so far.
  #8  
Old 08-01-2019, 10:53 AM
Railer13 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,752
Sirius XM FINALLY is allowing me to listen 'outside of my car'. I can now enjoy Sirius on my Sonos box in my house. With no extra charge.
  #9  
Old 08-01-2019, 11:48 AM
teela brown is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Almost Silicon Valley
Posts: 9,553
My firm is celebrating its fiftieth anniversary. They're putting serious pressure on us to stay after work for a party out on a hot patio in the hot sun in hot fucking August. They want to take our collective picture out in the sun, too.

Seriously? Spend my personal time at a freaking hot noisy party during the worst of the dog days, so that my 45 minute commute can be pushed back so that I'll arrive home just in time to fall into bed from heat exhaustion? I'm too old for this.
  #10  
Old 08-01-2019, 11:53 AM
kaylasdad99 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,834
Oooh, bad luck, teela!

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 08-01-2019 at 11:54 AM.
  #11  
Old 08-01-2019, 12:36 PM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwolf View Post
Last year's X-mas present from The Greatest Wife in the WorldTM
I'm not a wife person, but I like yours!
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.
  #12  
Old 08-01-2019, 12:44 PM
teela brown is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Almost Silicon Valley
Posts: 9,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Oooh, bad luck, teela!
The luck does seem undependable, doesn't it? Maybe after I evade the party-pressure and go home, some horrible catastrophe will befall this building and then the nature of the good luck will be apparent.

I'm not hoping for this, mind!
  #13  
Old 08-01-2019, 01:33 PM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
The luck does seem undependable, doesn't it? Maybe after I evade the party-pressure and go home, some horrible catastrophe will befall this building and then the nature of the good luck will be apparent.

I'm not hoping for this, mind!
Tell them you're sorry, but you already have something scheduled that night that can't be canceled. You don't have to tell them that what you have scheduled is peace and quiet.

Last edited by Morgyn; 08-01-2019 at 01:33 PM. Reason: pronoun trouble
  #14  
Old 08-01-2019, 01:53 PM
Swampwolf is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I'm not a wife person, but I like yours!
Well you can't have her!

The year before, she got me a copy of Good Omens, signed by Sir Terry. Last week, I had David Tennant sign it too.

But that's the opposite of a rant, and has no business here.
  #15  
Old 08-01-2019, 06:22 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,653
I was almost ready to upgrade my SiriusXM subscription when I got that nice little email. ^_^ I've enjoyed listening on my phone.

I'm especially glad that they parked Yacht Rock Radio on a relatively out-of-the-way station this year. Now if they'll just keep Road Trip Radio on through the bulk of Labor Day week, I'll be really happy.
  #16  
Old 08-01-2019, 09:25 PM
NotherYinzer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Left of central PA
Posts: 812
When my husband and I went on vacation, I left my car safely in the garage for the four days we were gone. When we got back, I noticed a slight smell whenever I switched the air from A.C. to regular. "Must be the refrigerant," thought I.

When I took the car in for an oil change, the mechanic discovered a mouse nest in my cabin filter. Said nest was full of fiberglass insulation from our garage ceiling and bits of chewed up God-knows-what. Even better, the regular air filter was being used to store dog kibble and sunflower seeds, neither of which are stored in our garage. The mechanic pulled out a huge wad of nest material from my dash as well.

The icing on the cake was the cause of the smell: Apparently Mickey was decapitated by my fan. He hath gone to meet his maker and left his scent behind. Who knew something that small would leave a stench that grand? With the recent heat wave, I've been dying to use the air but I REALLY don't want essence of ex-mouse up my nose and on my clothes. Why can't I roll the windows down? Because it keeps raining, that's why.

Oh, did I mention we have four cats? Useless, the lot of them.
__________________
~~~
"Lord, what fools these mortals be!"
  #17  
Old 08-02-2019, 05:32 AM
Catamount is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: God's Waiting Room, NC
Posts: 9,814
I once found a dead mouse in my heater vent. I didn't want to touch it, so I vacuumed it up. A few weeks later I noticed a godawful stench coming from the vaccum. Turns out that the mouse was stuck in the hose, merrily decomposing. Lesson learned: next time just suck it up and grab the dead mouse with a paper towel.
  #18  
Old 08-02-2019, 06:20 AM
Saintly Loser is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
The luck does seem undependable, doesn't it? Maybe after I evade the party-pressure and go home, some horrible catastrophe will befall this building and then the nature of the good luck will be apparent.
No, no, you don't want that. You'd be the obvious suspect.
  #19  
Old 08-02-2019, 07:29 AM
Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 3,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Lesson learned: next time just suck it up
But isn't that what got you in trouble to begin with?
  #20  
Old 08-02-2019, 09:18 AM
digs's Avatar
digs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
My firm is celebrating its fiftieth anniversary. They're putting serious pressure on us to stay after work for a party out on a hot patio in the hot sun in hot fucking August. They want to take our collective picture out in the sun, too.

Seriously? Spend my personal time at a freaking hot noisy party during the worst of the dog days, so that my 45 minute commute can be pushed back so that I'll arrive home just in time to fall into bed from heat exhaustion? I'm too old for this.
I get out of a lot of things with "Ooh, sorry. I've got a previous commitment." If I want a longer version, it's "Darn it! ::sigh:: I just knew when I said I'd help my friend move, something more fun would come up. Believe me, I'd much rather be partying with my coworkers, Boss..."


And shouldn't we be spelling that word "Siriusly" for this thread?

Last edited by digs; 08-02-2019 at 09:18 AM.
  #21  
Old 08-02-2019, 09:43 AM
stretch is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Central WA
Posts: 1,408
Oooh, schedule my pets' appointments using an app you say? That sounds fancy! Download, fill in pet info, go to schedule appointment...and now tell them what I want and they'll get back to me.

I don't even want to find out how this works beyond this, because all I imagine is a lot of back and forth when I could have just called the office in the first place.

Also, I want to setup a teeth cleaning, and their appointment choices include pre-dental exam (required before teeth cleaning). This seems to be a new thing. I'm not bringing the dog in for an exam to schedule dental work. You see him on the regular, we all know he needs regular cleanings*, and I know when I want to do blood work and when I don't. Am I suppose to use the "other" option for that? Again, this app is not making my life easier!

All this app has done so far is managed to make me mad at my vet's office, and they may not deserve it. I don't know how to apportion my anger yet--likely some will be for the app and some for the office. I guess I'll find out when I call this morning.

*though not on an exact schedule that matches anything else, and it's hella spendy so I'm not just doing it annually.
  #22  
Old 08-02-2019, 09:56 AM
BubbaDog's Avatar
BubbaDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: KC MO or there abouts
Posts: 5,703
Went to install three interior doors in my basement.
All the directions say to start with a door opening that is plumb and level at the top and bottom.
Bubbadog carefully measures doorway that he built
Plumb? yep
Level header? yep
Level floor? Yep
Ride side height = Left side height? Less that 1/16 of an inch

Pre- hung interior doors to fit into door opening?
Not square, not plumb, casinge are different lengths WTF?!?!?

So basically the part of the job that I built was right on specs.
The part that I paid almost $200 a piece - CRAP!
  #23  
Old 08-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,713
Thanks for the title edit, kind Moderator.
  #24  
Old 08-03-2019, 03:40 PM
BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 21,422
This nutjob deserves his own thread, but Morphou Bishop Neophytos says that homosexuality is transmitted to a fetus when a pregnant woman has anal sex.
  #25  
Old 08-03-2019, 04:10 PM
flatlined is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: high desert
Posts: 4,319
We went to a small gem and mineral show yesterday. I went because I like wasting money on such trinkets as trilobites, fossils and pretty rocks. My BB went because I wanted to go. I go to his hobby shows because he wants to go, it all works out. I found a very nice 4 inch agate bowl and 12 agate marbles to put in the bowl. (I also got a well detailed 2 inch black trilobite on black slate, and a couple of crystals.)

BB and I didn't really think about what I was bringing into our home because we were talking rocks and cutting them and geology and shit instead of thinking about cats. Specifically, 1 very opinionated grey stripy cat who is in charge of decorating. Missy the cat and Karen our housekeeper have a constant battle going on over the knick knacks. Karen picks things up and dusts, then puts them down in the same place. Missy insists that things are all faced in the RIGHT direction/s so when nobody is in the room, she will get up on the forbidden furniture and set things to right. For the longest time, Karen thought I was doing it and worried that she was in some sort of trouble.

At about 3 in the morning, we learned that if some asshole cat gets on the 4-foot tall dresser and knocks over a bowl filled with rock marbles onto a hardwood floor is not a lot of fun. (I am still missing 2 marbles. I am sure that they will appear at some future bad time.)
  #26  
Old 08-03-2019, 04:49 PM
Das Glasperlenspiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Manotick, ON
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
We went to a small gem and mineral show yesterday. I went because I like wasting money on such trinkets as trilobites, fossils and pretty rocks. My BB went because I wanted to go. I go to his hobby shows because he wants to go, it all works out. I found a very nice 4 inch agate bowl and 12 agate marbles to put in the bowl. (I also got a well detailed 2 inch black trilobite on black slate, and a couple of crystals.)

BB and I didn't really think about what I was bringing into our home because we were talking rocks and cutting them and geology and shit instead of thinking about cats. Specifically, 1 very opinionated grey stripy cat who is in charge of decorating. Missy the cat and Karen our housekeeper have a constant battle going on over the knick knacks. Karen picks things up and dusts, then puts them down in the same place. Missy insists that things are all faced in the RIGHT direction/s so when nobody is in the room, she will get up on the forbidden furniture and set things to right. For the longest time, Karen thought I was doing it and worried that she was in some sort of trouble.

At about 3 in the morning, we learned that if some asshole cat gets on the 4-foot tall dresser and knocks over a bowl filled with rock marbles onto a hardwood floor is not a lot of fun. (I am still missing 2 marbles. I am sure that they will appear at some future bad time.)
As the slave of a pair of Maine Coon cats who are dedicated redecorators, I can strongly recommend the use of “museum wax” or “Quakehold”. Works a treat, much to The Girls’ annoyance!
__________________
My kids rock.
  #27  
Old 08-03-2019, 04:51 PM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
At about 3 in the morning, we learned that if some asshole cat gets on the 4-foot tall dresser and knocks over a bowl filled with rock marbles onto a hardwood floor is not a lot of fun. (I am still missing 2 marbles. I am sure that they will appear at some future bad time.)
How far did each of you levitate out of the bed when those hit the floor? <laughing>

Cats.
  #28  
Old 08-03-2019, 05:50 PM
flatlined is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: high desert
Posts: 4,319
While I do use museum wax on some things, the aforementioned housekeeper likes to pick things up rather than try to dust around them. Its not something I can use on the things in arms reach to her. Das Glasperlenspiel You very kindly sent me 2 beautiful glass beads a few years ago. I would like to say thank you again and I am currently wearing the blue one on a black velvet ribbon.

Morgyn I can't really answer that question, but I did notice that the ceiling fan blades needed to be dusted...

Cats are jerks, and they have no purpose. They didn't have a purpose back in the day and they don't now. They try to pretend that they moved in to hunt mice and rats, but we didn't need cats for that (Not to mention that they are too lazy to kill rats over a garbage pile, they will just scare the rats and eat the garbage themselves. They like humans because we make tasty garbage.), we had already bred rat terriers before cats domesticated us.
  #29  
Old 08-03-2019, 06:05 PM
ENugent is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 3,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
(I am still missing 2 marbles. I am sure that they will appear at some future bad time.)
Haha, flatlined lost her marbles!

Hey, someone had to say it!

I hope you find them, flatlined, preferably without anyone going down on those hardwood floors.
__________________
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
  #30  
Old 08-03-2019, 06:14 PM
The Vorlon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sol III
Posts: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
We went to a small gem and mineral show yesterday. I went because I like wasting money on such trinkets as trilobites, fossils and pretty rocks. My BB went because I wanted to go. I go to his hobby shows because he wants to go, it all works out. I found a very nice 4 inch agate bowl and 12 agate marbles to put in the bowl. (I also got a well detailed 2 inch black trilobite on black slate, and a couple of crystals.)

BB and I didn't really think about what I was bringing into our home because we were talking rocks and cutting them and geology and shit instead of thinking about cats. Specifically, 1 very opinionated grey stripy cat who is in charge of decorating. Missy the cat and Karen our housekeeper have a constant battle going on over the knick knacks. Karen picks things up and dusts, then puts them down in the same place. Missy insists that things are all faced in the RIGHT direction/s so when nobody is in the room, she will get up on the forbidden furniture and set things to right. For the longest time, Karen thought I was doing it and worried that she was in some sort of trouble.

At about 3 in the morning, we learned that if some asshole cat gets on the 4-foot tall dresser and knocks over a bowl filled with rock marbles onto a hardwood floor is not a lot of fun. (I am still missing 2 marbles. I am sure that they will appear at some future bad time.)
Don't worry, they were placed under the furniture, only to appear when you step on them at 0415.
  #31  
Old 08-05-2019, 09:58 PM
flatlined is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: high desert
Posts: 4,319
As it turns out, Missy the rotten cat doesn't want stuff in the bowl at all. Saturday night, I filled it with scented potpourri. This morning, the bowl was pretty much where I left it, the potpourri was all over. Last night it was empty and didn't seem to have been moved.

She hasn't ever really moved the bowl, and its light enough for a cat to easily bat off the dresser, she just removes the offending objects. I kinda think she is right, its a very nice bowl that looks pretty enough that I don't need to dress it up.

And, of course, a slight complaint about the boards being down. At work, its feast or famine. We are either working our butts off or sitting around surfing the internet or studying. Today was famine and the boards were down. I don't post a lot, but I lurk all the time. It was soooooo boring that I actually went into the document storage room and waved a duster around for a while before giving up because I wasn't finding any dust.
  #32  
Old 08-05-2019, 10:26 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,797
I know, board was down on a slow day for me, too.

We could compare "How many times did YOU refresh a window, click a link, try a bookmark, in hopes you'd be allowed back into Dope-ville?"
  #33  
Old 08-06-2019, 07:11 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,653
Sometimes, you see a depiction of a classical art piece in/on which the naughty sinful parts are covered with a fig leaf.

After spending the last 15 minutes crawling around inside an overgrown fig bush in search of ripe figs, I'm wondering if anyone has ever placed a fig leaf on their sensitive bits, because HOLY BALLS MY ARMS ARE ITCHY. My left arm has welts, and I think I'm missing a small piece of skin in one place.

On the plus side, I have enough figs to cover breakfast for the rest of the week. They're black mission, if you're wondering.
  #34  
Old 08-06-2019, 11:01 PM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,221
Down side is scratchy, up side isn't. On fig leaves, I mean, or at least in the varieties grown around my home town. In general, leaves' two sides tend to be quite different to touch.

Last edited by Nava; 08-06-2019 at 11:02 PM.
  #35  
Old 08-06-2019, 11:10 PM
Bookkeeper's Avatar
Bookkeeper is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Ottawa, Canuckistan
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Down side is scratchy, up side isn't. On fig leaves, I mean, or at least in the varieties grown around my home town. In general, leaves' two sides tend to be quite different to touch.
So the down side acts as Velcro for naughty bit adherence?
  #36  
Old 08-07-2019, 01:27 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,221
It's the one I wouldn't want to get close to my own personal bits, but if you rock that way go ahead...
  #37  
Old 08-07-2019, 07:16 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Down side is scratchy, up side isn't. On fig leaves, I mean, or at least in the varieties grown around my home town. In general, leaves' two sides tend to be quite different to touch.
Yep...both varieties in my yard have leaves like that. I guess you could wear the leaf with the smooth side facing the tender bits, but the leaves wouldn't curve properly. Who knows, maybe they were taking artistic license with those depictions.
  #38  
Old 08-07-2019, 08:20 PM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,713
Fucking cat.

I swear, one of these days I'm going to turn him INTO MITTENS.

Wouldn't eat his greenies with the meds inside. Just kept pushing them along the floor and licking. So I put him in his carrier with just the greenie to eat and what does he do? PISSES ALL OVER IT AGAIN.

Well, fine. Eddy gets to eat in privacy and at length in the powder room, and Shiva gets NOTHING until tomorrow morning. See if he refuses his medicine then!

<fume>

I wanted to go to bed early again.Now I have to give Eddy extra time because the powder room isn't a place he's accustomed to being in, much less eating in. Probably ought to go keep him company.
  #39  
Old 08-07-2019, 09:00 PM
Asylum is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Annapolis, Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,292
I'm on vacation with my family and my sister-in-law is reading the Boy Who Knew too Much, the "true" story about a little boy who's the reincarnation of Lou Gehrig.

I want to say to my sister, "no, he's not a reincarnation of a famous baseball player, and second you're Catholic, pick a belief system!"
  #40  
Old 08-07-2019, 10:40 PM
Lacunae Matata is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SE Georgia
Posts: 3,759
It's really not a mini rant, but I don't want to obligate myself to a thread of my own.

I really don't want to be that statistic of divorce after a spouse's disability.

But I'm seriously considering.

I don't mind doing the heavy lifting.

I do find that I mind being criticized for everything I do and don't do.

My husband manages all projects in his head, where everything is perfectly linear. I do stuff, interrupted by everything.

I love the idiot, but I honestly don't know how much more I can handle.
  #41  
Old 08-07-2019, 11:51 PM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,221
You're apparently married to 1.SiL, or a close relative thereof... So far 1.Bro's marriage is surviving, but they certainly provide a lot of "perfectionist person who won't or can't do something keeps cirticizing the one who's doing it" material; we thought Dad and 1.Bro were perfectionists, then we met her. Bonus points when she criticizes him for not doing something they had both agreed he would not do. Does your husband also have this thing of having The Plan... (which is being followed)... The Plan... (which is being followed)... The Plan... (which is being followed)... and then when The Plan is at 98% completion he gets The (New) Plan and everything must shift instantly? I hope he doesn't...
  #42  
Old 08-08-2019, 04:56 AM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,713
I did try coating the greenie with some hairball gel, which he loves. He licked the gel off and left the greenie behind.

Then I tried feeding the pills to him in greenies taken from a fresh packet. THIS time he scarfed them down. Guess the prior greenies didn't have enough odor left to entice him. <sigh> And that's even though I've been GOOD about resealing the package AND I keep the package in an airtight container.

Oh, well. He ate his pills. He got fed. All good now.
  #43  
Old 08-08-2019, 09:43 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 32,325

Fucking Lowe's


We've purchased several appliances from Lowe's over the years. Other than a dryer (which I picked up using my little utility trailer) every delivery has been a nightmare.

A dishwasher was the incorrect make, a washing machine was dented, a range scratched/dented, and yesterday a refrigerator arrived and when I inspected it (still on the truck) there was a problem with the freezer door hinges. I refused the refrigerator yesterday, as we refused all the other dinged/broken appliances over the years.

In every case the truck driver/delivery guy was sympathetic, saying that many of their deliveries take multiple attempts. Well, sorry, but taking a day off of work to be home for the delivery and then having to take another day off until they get their shit together is too much.

No more Lowe's appliances. Ever. And it's a shame, because they have decent selection and good prices.
  #44  
Old 08-08-2019, 09:58 AM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,534
Sicks Ate had similar problems with Lowe's delivery (as mentioned in the bathroom remodel thread). We did order a toilet from them but we're having it delivered to the store and we'll take it from there * fingers crossed *
  #45  
Old 08-08-2019, 10:08 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 32,325
Best of luck with your toilet! (never thought I'd type those words)
  #46  
Old 08-08-2019, 10:30 PM
Seanette is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,596
I love my cat, I really do, but she's developed a very obnoxious tendency to sit in the bedroom window and wail at us around 1am. She almost sounds like she's frightened, but there's nothing going on to justify it. She does figure out getting over to me for snuggles after a minute or so of coaxing. She's otherwise behaving normally (for her). 9yo spayed female Siamese mix, apparently healthy.
  #47  
Old 08-08-2019, 11:10 PM
StarvingButStrong's Avatar
StarvingButStrong is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,751
Maybe she sees something dangerous (to her mind) outside? We had a cat that would yowl frequently at night when we thought there was no reason. And then one night we spotted a raccoon in the tree beside out garage. We finally had to keep the window shade over the window that faced that direction pulled down all the way to keep her quiet.
  #48  
Old 08-09-2019, 08:41 AM
Spiderman's Avatar
Spiderman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: somewhere East of there
Posts: 10,721
Fucking AMEX. Getting a new corp card. Need to confirm it online (as opposed to thru a phone call). However, to register, it needs to be a unique username with very restrictive covenants. Including it must
  • start with a letter,
  • Be between 5-20 chara,
  • it must not have any special characters
  • COntain 1 letter & 1 number
This means you can't use an email & any of the first five usernames I've tried are already taken. I dont want some random @#$%& username that I won't ever remember.
(& no, I'm not at home to log it into my password manager, either.)

Last edited by Spiderman; 08-09-2019 at 08:44 AM.
  #49  
Old 08-09-2019, 10:18 AM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Fucking AMEX. Getting a new corp card. Need to confirm it online (as opposed to thru a phone call). However, to register, it needs to be a unique username with very restrictive covenants. Including it must
  • start with a letter,
  • Be between 5-20 chara,
  • it must not have any special characters
  • COntain 1 letter & 1 number
This means you can't use an email & any of the first five usernames I've tried are already taken. I dont want some random @#$%& username that I won't ever remember.
(& no, I'm not at home to log it into my password manager, either.)
Does your password manager have a mobile phone app? Mine does. Assuming you have a mobile phone, this might be an alternative.
  #50  
Old 08-09-2019, 10:25 AM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 42,151
I really wish the guy three houses down would either move or get a different car. He lives with his mother, and I'm glad that he is employed, but he leaves for work every morning at 5:30. That would be fine, too, but the guy drives a Challenger SRT. He doesn't rev his engine, but just starting that thing and letting it idle for a few seconds wakes me up every single day. He's very good about just idling away from the curb and staying as quiet as possible (his mother would kill him, otherwise), but that car is a beast by nature.

I like getting up early, but not that early. More importantly, I've really gotten used to waking up naturally since I retired. No alarms, just the sun coming up and the birds tweeting. But now its BOOM-rumblerumblerumblerumble every weekday. Nothing to be done about it, other than hope that he decides to move. Just wanted to vent a bit.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017