Old 08-09-2019, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Fucking AMEX. Getting a new corp card. Need to confirm it online (as opposed to thru a phone call). However, to register, it needs to be a unique username with very restrictive covenants. Including it must
  • start with a letter,
  • Be between 5-20 chara,
  • it must not have any special characters
  • COntain 1 letter & 1 number
This means you can't use an email & any of the first five usernames I've tried are already taken. I dont want some random @#$%& username that I won't ever remember.
(& no, I'm not at home to log it into my password manager, either.)
Interesting on the restrictions re letter / number. At first I thought you were talking about the **password**. Aside from the letter/number thing, none of the others seem that crazy.

I have a default user name that I'll use for on-the-fly stuff like that. Sometimes I'll preface it with the website name or similar - e.g. 'xyzzyAmex', 'xyzzyBankofAmerica' etc.

I run into oddball **password** roles from time to time, including wildly varying length restrictions, limits on just *which* special characters you can use (and the subset is different from site to site) - that, I think, is something to do with preventing SQL injection attacks.

And sometimes the sites don't disclose the rules - years back, I needed to change a work-related password. The instructions were "14 or more characters" and nothing I tried worked. I finally called the help desk, and a) there were only certain special characters, and b) despite "14 or more", the real length was 'EXACTLY 14".

And another site, it didn't say the length (or I did't notice it). Let's say they limited it to 12 characters. I'd put in something like Password123456' (which is 14), I'd confirm it, the two would match, and the website said all was good. Only, when I tried to log in, it wouldn't work. Took some digging, but as best as I can tell, it would ignore the extraneous characters and store things as if I'd entered 'Password1234'. Needless to say, when you encrypt that, it doesn't give the same result as if you encrypt 'Password123456' and it didn't match.

And a couple months back, my company instituted a policy that all Windows passwords had to be 14+ characters "this is to encourage using a passphrase". So next time mine expired, I went with something akin to "Four Score @nd Se7en Years Ago". I checked it carefully. I wrote it down. It worked.... for about 48 hours.

Then I was locked out of my computer. Couldn't get past the bootup decryption phase; when the help desk got me past that I couldn't open Windows itself.

I had to ship it off to our tech support - 3 states away - and lost nearly a week of working time. The person at our help desk said he'd heard of several incidents of the password change failing like mine had. Probably because of the spaces. Which means there's a bug somewhere, if Windows can't figure that out and either handle it, or prevent it.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
And sometimes the sites don't disclose the rules - years back, I needed to change a work-related password. The instructions were "14 or more characters" and nothing I tried worked. I finally called the help desk, and a) there were only certain special characters, and b) despite "14 or more", the real length was 'EXACTLY 14".

And another site, it didn't say the length (or I did't notice it). Let's say they limited it to 12 characters. I'd put in something like Password123456' (which is 14), I'd confirm it, the two would match, and the website said all was good. Only, when I tried to log in, it wouldn't work. Took some digging, but as best as I can tell, it would ignore the extraneous characters and store things as if I'd entered 'Password1234'. Needless to say, when you encrypt that, it doesn't give the same result as if you encrypt 'Password123456' and it didn't match.
And this is why, when I document ANYTHING that requires a password, I talk to the developers to get the exact requirements for a password from them. And then I test the software to see if what they told me actually works. If the software is internet-accessible, I test that, too. In both cases, I tell them to put password requirement information next to or underneath the password field to ensure that the users know what's needed.

Almost nothing infuriates me more than having to guess at what is required for a password. Even more infuriating is being given password requirements and having them turn out to be wrong.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Fucking AMEX. Getting a new corp card. Need to confirm it online (as opposed to thru a phone call). However, to register, it needs to be a unique username with very restrictive covenants. Including it must
  • start with a letter,
  • Be between 5-20 chara,
  • it must not have any special characters
  • COntain 1 letter & 1 number
This means you can't use an email & any of the first five usernames I've tried are already taken. I dont want some random @#$%& username that I won't ever remember.
(& no, I'm not at home to log it into my password manager, either.)
Can't you use <firstnamelastnamenumber>? Like joeblow7. Or are all permutations taken? Or am I being stupid?
Old 08-09-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Does your password manager have a mobile phone app? Mine does. Assuming you have a mobile phone, this might be an alternative.
No, & it doesn't matter anyway because T-Mobile sucks ass. It used to be the security question was the last four of your SSN; but Noooo, that's something you could remember. They changed it to a six-digit number, which of course I can't remember what I had to make up on the fly many months ago. Four digits could be the last four of your SSN or the last four of your childhood home phone, yanno, something one could remember, but what the 'ell is six digits? They can't pull up my account, so now I have no service where I am (international) & can't even upgrade my plan until I get back home & can go into a TMO store.

Except there's really no point because I'm going to Verizon when I get home as they have significantly better coverage.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:24 PM

I came here to complain about needing to get a new door, but got distracted by the password discussion. Password security is the bane of my existence.

At work, we have a password for each and every program I use (6). Not a single one of them has the same security features, so the password for 1 program cannot be used for the others. Some of the programs require new passwords every 6 weeks, some every month and 1 every 3 months, so I can't even use the same base for them all because of the time lag. The security code to get my messages off my phone is taped to the bottom of my phone, same as everyone else's security codes. I am not the only one who has their computer passwords taped to the bottom of their keyboard.

If some tree-hugger was smart, they would break into the main office building and steal all of the notes taped to keyboards and phones and backs of monitors. They wouldn't even need to use them to bring a rather large company of evil land-raping oil guys to the knees for at least half a day.

Oh, yeah, the door. Ralph, the big hairy puppy has outgrown the kitty door going into the catio. He used to be able to get on his belly, push with his back legs and squeeze himself through when he needed to use the litter box. Due to having a cat litter box train him, he never really got the hang of going out the dog door into the yard.

Today, we came home and found him stuck. He had been alone for about an hour, so I don't know how long he had been stuck, but he did pee on the floor and himself.

Ralph was well and truly stuck. We really tried everything to get the poop pup out, including me using my BB's beard trimmers to clip fur so we could put butter on him and slide him out. Beard trimmers don't hold up very well against hairy dogs, so that also didn't work.

Finally, my BB used a hacksaw and was able to cut diagonal slashes into the corners of the kitty door to allow some flex. Seeing as how the kitty door was installed into an exterior security door, no flex happened. Poor Ralph couldn't see anything that was going on and was crying in fear by then, so my BB cut through the door and finally managed to get the poor pup loose. Ralph promptly rant to the litter box and pooped in it.

We need to get a new door, a smaller kitty door, new beard trimmers and a dog trainer who will come to the house and convince Ralph that big dogs pee outside.

Ralph has been washed, disaster area has been cleaned and I'm on my second glass of wine.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:31 PM

Then there was the website that would only tell you the password rules one at a time.

Enter new password.

password

*Must be at least 14 characters*

passwordpassword

*Must contain a capital*

PasswordPassword

*Must contain a number*

Password123456

*Can't have more than two incremental letters or numbers*

ad nauseum

Seriously? Just list all the requirements at the beginning ya frickin idgit.

ETA: Sorry flatlined. I'm a bad person. I laughed. Though I am sorry pupper was distressed.

Last edited by Projammer; 08-09-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, & it doesn't matter anyway because T-Mobile sucks ass. It used to be the security question was the last four of your SSN; but Noooo, that's something you could remember. They changed it to a six-digit number, which of course I can't remember what I had to make up on the fly many months ago. Four digits could be the last four of your SSN or the last four of your childhood home phone, yanno, something one could remember, but what the 'ell is six digits? They can't pull up my account, so now I have no service where I am (international) & can't even upgrade my plan until I get back home & can go into a TMO store.

Except there's really no point because I'm going to Verizon when I get home as they have significantly better coverage.
For things like that, I'll often pick a memorable phrase and use the first letter of each word to pick the number on the keypad. Say your phrase is, "Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids". The answer to your six-digit security question is now: 778235.

NB: I have never used this number as a passcode for anything. YMMV. It won't matter to you because you're moving to Verizon services. You may still want to switch to a password manager that has a phone-based app for situations like this. My cat is screaming at me again, how is this my life?
Old 08-09-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Then there was the website that would only tell you the password rules one at a time.

Enter new password.

password

*Must be at least 14 characters*

passwordpassword

*Must contain a capital*

PasswordPassword

*Must contain a number*

Password123456

*Can't have more than two incremental letters or numbers*

ad nauseum

Seriously? Just list all the requirements at the beginning ya frickin idgit.

ETA: Sorry flatlined. I'm a bad person. I laughed. Though I am sorry pupper was distressed.
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Why can't they tell you their inane rules ahead of time?
Old 08-09-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Four digits could be the last four of your SSN or the last four of your childhood home phone, yanno, something one could remember, but what the 'ell is six digits?
I use historic dates, specifically picking some which aren't too terribly popular.

One of the reasons I want to get rid of my mortgage (and thus, of the bank that holds it) is their security features. They're crap, including that there are several all-numeric passowrds of varying length and their site doesn't tell you which length the one you need for that specific spot is. And if you pick something such as 4598, 45982, 4598271, any of the password fields will let you type in any of the lengths but only accept the right one. But it's a pretty big deductible, so no shutting it down yet.

Last edited by Nava; 08-09-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:52 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
We need to get a new door, a smaller kitty door, new beard trimmers and a dog trainer who will come to the house and convince Ralph that big dogs pee outside.

Have you considered moving the litterbox to the outside. Maybe after you convice the canine that he has his very own box, then you can move it to the back yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Why can't they tell you their inane rules ahead of time?

And deny yourself all the fun of that? Be glad it doesn't have one of those cutesy level indicators, letting you just blindly type in whatever you think is a good password, then the thing tells you "Extremely weak; try again".

Speaking of password security features, didn't the guy who came up with those nifty rules recently apologize for their uselessness and attendant frustration?
Old 08-10-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
I came here to complain about needing to get a new door, but got distracted by the password discussion. Password security is the bane of my existence.

At work, we have a password for each and every program I use (6). Not a single one of them has the same security features, so the password for 1 program cannot be used for the others. Some of the programs require new passwords every 6 weeks, some every month and 1 every 3 months, so I can't even use the same base for them all because of the time lag. The security code to get my messages off my phone is taped to the bottom of my phone, same as everyone else's security codes. I am not the only one who has their computer passwords taped to the bottom of their keyboard.

If some tree-hugger was smart, they would break into the main office building and steal all of the notes taped to keyboards and phones and backs of monitors. They wouldn't even need to use them to bring a rather large company of evil land-raping oil guys to the knees for at least half a day.

Oh, yeah, the door. Ralph, the big hairy puppy has outgrown the kitty door going into the catio. He used to be able to get on his belly, push with his back legs and squeeze himself through when he needed to use the litter box. Due to having a cat litter box train him, he never really got the hang of going out the dog door into the yard.

Today, we came home and found him stuck. He had been alone for about an hour, so I don't know how long he had been stuck, but he did pee on the floor and himself.

Ralph was well and truly stuck. We really tried everything to get the poop pup out, including me using my BB's beard trimmers to clip fur so we could put butter on him and slide him out. Beard trimmers don't hold up very well against hairy dogs, so that also didn't work.

Finally, my BB used a hacksaw and was able to cut diagonal slashes into the corners of the kitty door to allow some flex. Seeing as how the kitty door was installed into an exterior security door, no flex happened. Poor Ralph couldn't see anything that was going on and was crying in fear by then, so my BB cut through the door and finally managed to get the poor pup loose. Ralph promptly rant to the litter box and pooped in it.

Ralph has been washed, disaster area has been cleaned and I'm on my second glass of wine.
oh, wait until you get one of the new password requirements that have to have a "symbol" and the only ones allowed are the 10 on the number row along with capital letters 8 letters in general and numbers ........

As for the cat ..I've heard once mommy cat teaches her adopted puppy to use a box like a good kitten its almost impossible to retrain them

an Alaskan friend of dad's worked at a rescue and the rescue cat lost a litter and the shelter acquired an orphaned newborn husky/wolf pup

so the rescue slid in the pup and cat mom raised it like she knew how when they were adopted the family slowly moved the box outside (like mentioned above) and mom and pup followed along

last i heard they took an old grade school sandbox for them and they cleaned it out with a scoop shovel .... but it was funny in later years to see an almost 200 pound half wild dog being bossed around by a 6 pound cat.....and if he was doing something she considered bad .. she had no problem smacking him with her claws until he listened ......and if she called him he better come running .....

Last edited by nightshadea; 08-10-2019 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Four digits could be the last four of your SSN or the last four of your childhood home phone, yanno, something one could remember, but what the 'ell is six digits?
I wouldn't use it for a nine-digit number, but my five-digit codes tend to be the first five of my SS, and the six-digit one is the last six.

So I guess at some level, my SS number is in the wild, but it undoubtedly is anyway given the number of known and unknown hacks.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
We went to a small gem and mineral show yesterday. I went because I like wasting money on such trinkets as trilobites, fossils and pretty rocks. My BB went because I wanted to go. I go to his hobby shows because he wants to go, it all works out. I found a very nice 4 inch agate bowl and 12 agate marbles to put in the bowl. (I also got a well detailed 2 inch black trilobite on black slate, and a couple of crystals.)

BB and I didn't really think about what I was bringing into our home because we were talking rocks and cutting them and geology and shit instead of thinking about cats. Specifically, 1 very opinionated grey stripy cat who is in charge of decorating. Missy the cat and Karen our housekeeper have a constant battle going on over the knick knacks. Karen picks things up and dusts, then puts them down in the same place. Missy insists that things are all faced in the RIGHT direction/s so when nobody is in the room, she will get up on the forbidden furniture and set things to right. For the longest time, Karen thought I was doing it and worried that she was in some sort of trouble.
Damn, thatís funny.
It reminds me of this elephant statue I have on my dresser. Which apparently is something more than just a statue. Apparently there is great deep and wonderous meaning and wisdom conferred by the exact placement of a small elephant statue. Everyone that has access to my home apparently knows this. They just canít agree on what it is.

My kid ( when he lived with me), my best friend, my housekeeper, my building super (gah) , everyone of these people would move my little statue according to their understanding of the wisdom of elephant statues. Its butt has to face the door, something about prosperity. No, itís supposed to face you when you sleep, something about demons. No, it CANíT face you, something about curses and luck.

You know what, itís my freaking statue. And I like it facing my TV set. Not because of luck or prosperity or curses. It looks cute when it looks like itís watching TV. Fuck your statue feng shui.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedin View Post
Can't you use <firstnamelastnamenumber>? Like joeblow7. Or are all permutations taken? Or am I being stupid?
Part of the problem is that you're limited to 20 chara. While I'm not a "Smith" or a "Jones", I'm not the only one with my name, either. Also, because we use them for work, lots of cow-orkers have them, which mean thinks like "Amex<Co name>" are already used, as well as "Amex<Co name>2" & "Amex<Co name>3."
Email, by definition is unique but they don't allow the @ sign & <First><dot><Last>@<company name>.com is more than 20 chara. I guess I could use the first 20 letters of that combo & either use a 2 in place of the @ sign or just put some nuber in the 20th place but will I remember that next time I might need it given I've already given you some variants to it right now. The underlying problem is that there's more than one way to skin a cat & what you think is logical right now, when you're under pressure to think up something isn't necessarily the same train of thought you'll have in the future when you need it.

Once you set something up, one of the supposed 'security' questions that you need to answer is what is the work phone # of the cardholder. Ummm, we have a corporate directory in Outlook, it's not like any of my cow-orkers can't just look up my number if they got my card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
For things like that, I'll often pick a memorable phrase and use the first letter of each word to pick the number on the keypad. Say your phrase is, "Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids". The answer to your six-digit security question is now: 778235.

NB: I have never used this number as a passcode for anything. YMMV. It won't matter to you because you're moving to Verizon services. You may still want to switch to a password manager that has a phone-based app for situations like this. My cat is screaming at me again, how is this my life?
I don't disagree with you; however I don't have a memorable phrase for every combination out there & 6-numeric isn't one that I believe I've seen anywhere else. There was a perfectly good answer, a factual* answer that I'll remember - the last 4 of my SSN. However, I had to change it on the fly, w/o any advanced notice. I'm sure what changed it to that day made some sense but I don't remember my thought process from then.

* I love things that can have variable answers like "First car". 3 years ago did I put in the year/make/model of the hand-me-down I was given, or the first one I bought? Even if I remember did I enter it with a year, a two or four digit year? Did I put in the make & model or just one of them? Or childhood best friend - did I put in Joey that he went by as a kid or Joseph that he uses now? Did I put in just his first name or his last name also? Or did I enter it as 'Smitty' as we frequently call him instead of the formal "Smith"?
Old 08-10-2019, 11:42 AM

flatlined, I shouldn't have laughed at poor Ralph, but I did. Glad Ralph is OK.

I guess you're never too old to have a first time for something. 44 years old and I just had my first kidney stone. 5 o'clock this morning woke up with the worst pain of my life. My back had been twinging in that area for a few days before but I just assumed I slept wrong or something.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:20 PM

Spiderman, free your mind. For the "variable answers," make up the answers and/or enter nonsense. First car? "Ferrari Testarosa" including the misspelling. Childhood best friend? "Magnavox TV." Your mother's home town? "zzzz." You can keep a list of these standard answers (without the questions, of course) handy and just plug 'em in as needed.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Girlfriend View Post
I guess you're never too old to have a first time for something.
I'm 73, and you have no idea how right you are. There's ALWAYS something new... and the old things don't go away. Sorry about your kidney stones.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caractacus Pott View Post
Spiderman, free your mind. For the "variable answers," make up the answers and/or enter nonsense. First car? "Ferrari Testarosa" including the misspelling. Childhood best friend? "Magnavox TV." Your mother's home town? "zzzz." You can keep a list of these standard answers (without the questions, of course) handy and just plug 'em in as needed.
My standard answer to all variable questions is "BULLSHIT". Because it is.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
We really tried everything to get the poop pup out...
Typo?
Old 08-10-2019, 05:46 PM

Thanks so much for the wonderful suggestions of buying Ralph his own letter box, then gradually moving it outside. I feel kinda dumb for not thinking of it myself, because it just makes so much sense.

This problem really is my fault, I thought that once Ralph got older, he would notice that he was a dog and start doing what he saw his 2 canine housemates doing. Plus, I've never had a puppy before and while i read books and talked to folks about house training him, it was just so much easier to let Steve's Kitten do it.

Ralph is as good as he can be, but he's still just a 50lb puppy and puppies are goofballs. SK doesn't allow him to do what she thinks is bad, so while he isn't allowed to chew on the kitty tree, he is welcome to get on one of the lower perches. SK of course gets the higher perches. Ralph is not allowed anywhere near her dinner mat, but can eat any other food he can find. Ralph does not sniff butts, because SK broke him of that the second time he tried to sniff her butt. The first time, she just boxed his head sans claws. The second time, the claws came out and there was blood.

The whole thing is sweet and weird all at the same time. If SK passes before Ralph, Ralph is NOT going to get a kitten of his own.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caractacus Pott View Post
If I were to start over, as an 18yo, I'd only have two answers for every question. "I can't tell you that" & "Fuck you" Much fun when the customer no-service agent asks you your security question, kinda like a modern day Who's on First.

The problem is that I have some accounts that are quite old & some that are not & remembering which ones have real answers vs. the easy to remember ones is a whole 'nuther can-o-worms.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Directv ATT are the devil.i moved to a town that doesnít offer the service, do they charge me an early cancellation fee? Of course. No amount of arguing will tell them otherwise. Finally got through to someone that it wasnít logical and they are getting an refund. Idiots.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
Directv ATT are the devil.i moved to a town that doesnít offer the service, do they charge me an early cancellation fee? Of course. No amount of arguing will tell them otherwise. Finally got through to someone that it wasnít logical and they are getting an refund. Idiots.
I just switched from cable to DirecTV. BIG BIG BIG mistake! Even the remote sucks.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:53 PM

And horrendous customer service.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
And horrendous customer service.
True that..
Old 08-12-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

In last month's minirant thread, I mentioned that I was making my life hell by logging in to my son's apartment rental account every day to see how late he was in paying the rent. (I think he did finally pay it about two weeks late, plus late fees). Folacin recommended that since I wasn't going to step in and pay it, or indeed do anything about it, I should...not check it.
Well, I just wanted to say that today I logged in to my son's account and found out he's pulling the same crap again, but at least I didn't suffer over it for the last twelve days. I also feel a bit less angst about it after stepping back and allowing it to not be my problem. So thank you for the good advice, Folacin.

I may need some more when the inevitable consequences come due...
Old 08-12-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
In last month's minirant thread, I mentioned that I was making my life hell by logging in to my son's apartment rental account every day to see how late he was in paying the rent. (I think he did finally pay it about two weeks late, plus late fees). Folacin recommended that since I wasn't going to step in and pay it, or indeed do anything about it, I should...not check it.
Well, I just wanted to say that today I logged in to my son's account and found out he's pulling the same crap again, but at least I didn't suffer over it for the last twelve days. I also feel a bit less angst about it after stepping back and allowing it to not be my problem. So thank you for the good advice, Folacin.
Glad to hear you are only hitting yourself in the face once a fortnight instead of everyday.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, it really feels good when I stop!
Old 08-12-2019, 05:09 PM

My husband is driving me insane.

I'm a bit of a control freak. It is partly because I know if I don't do the things, they won't get done but also because I'm anxious if I don't have a "plan" and my husband isn't a big planner. Regardless, I have been working on organizing all the appointments for our daughter's occupational therapy. She was supposed to have her evaluation today, finally, after her doctor's office took 6 weeks to send over the script. My husband would have had to take her because I also have a full time job and, today, I have to work late. He called me one hour before her appointment to ask me if I could reschedule her appointment. I asked if it was because he was just leaving work and then he huffed at me and said its because he can barely breathe.

See, over the weekend, something irritated his asthma and he's been basically unable to breathe. I mentioned casually on Sunday, after I had cleaned the entire house by myself, including doing the furnace filter because he said it might be allergies, that maybe he should see a doctor. He refused because he's a big, dumb, stubborn idiot.

I told him that I could reschedule. I didn't tell him that it would be embarrassing and would probably cost us money due to the short notice because I am genuinely concerned for his health. Then I strongly urged him to go to the doctor, using words like "Go to a doctor. I can't mother you but please fucking go." After I took care of cancelling the appointment, telling daycare about the change of plans and then doing my actual paid job, I called my husband back to see what the doctor said.

And my husband didn't fucking go.

Imma kill him.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I just switched from cable to DirecTV. BIG BIG BIG mistake! Even the remote sucks.
My biggest complaint is DirecTV doesn't carry any of the local subchannels like MeTV, Cozi TV and H&I. Our cable company carries all of them.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:39 PM

Dung Beetle: I don't understand. If you're not the guarantor, not on the lease, and not paying the rent every month (or even a portion of the rent every month), why do you check his account? It's literally none of your business. Leave it alone and it will reduce the stress in your life. He is an adult, right? This is a wonderful chance for you to let him learn what consequences the Real Worldtm has for certain actions (or, in this case, inactions).

Seriously, the only conversation you should be having with him about the online account is:

Quote:
You: Son, you might want to consider changing the password on your online rental account and the notification options. I keep getting these E-mail overdue notices.
Son: I'm sure those are a mistake.
You: Yeah, and I know that's bullshit. That stuff's automatic and it means you're not paying your rent. Change that shit on your account and pay your fucking rent. And don't even think of asking me to help you out with the rent. Your ass is cut off. And you absolutely are not moving in here when you get evicted. I don't rent to deadbeats.
Son:

That's all just my humble opinion, though.

Last edited by Monty; 08-12-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
Imma kill him.
That's one way to solve his breathing problems.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Oh for fucks sake!
Last week it was in the low 80s in this tiny little seaside location.
mid humidity constant breezes.

But I take a little R&R here and its upper 90s, no breeze, mid 90+ humidity.

Thank Og for the bar and pool.

But the sandcastles will have to wait.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I mini-rant against trusted brands and their "bargain" or "budget" or "essentials" variants. I just bought a big package of Charmin quadruple-sized rolls of toilet paper. That should be like the gold standard of TP, but I seem to have bought the bargain version by mistake. Now, unless I want to throw these out, I'll be using hotel or grocery store public restroom quality TP for a couple of weeks!

Last edited by Spectre of Pithecanthropus; 08-13-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:38 PM

I travel quite a bit for work. Love being in different cities. Hate traveling. That's not the rant.

Sometimes I'll arrive on a job site and about an hour later my immune system will decide the local atmospheric water molecules are the wrong shape and I'll start breaking out in red itchy welts all over. If I don't pop a couple of Benadryl in time my arms, and the rest of my unexposed skin, will look like I've been rolling in nettles.

Even with the Benadryl I've still got to deal with an hour of wanting to scratch my skin off.

Wanna guess what happened yesterday to prompt this post?
Old 08-13-2019, 11:41 PM

Bdo zank you. Are you trying to make me feel better about my clogged nose? Because I'll happily admit it did work. I want to move to a planet where "20ļsh C and humid" doesn't exist, apparently it's when every plant I'm allergic to goes "party time!". Instead I'm about to accept a project in an area where that used to be the default: not any more.

Last edited by Nava; 08-13-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:38 AM

Arrgh arrrgh AARRRGGHHH!

Our hospital has the "cute" habit of playing Brahms' Lullaby over the PA system every time a baby is born up in Maternity. This is merely obnoxious on a routine basis, but today...

TODAY...

They have played the goddamned Lullaby about 30 times already. Either someone is pumping out sets of quintuplets out there or the button is malfunctioning. Either way...

SHUT OFF THE FUCKING LULLABY ALREADY, OR I'M GONNA DIAL UP THE P.A. SYSTEM AND PLAY MOTORHEAD'S "BACK TO THE FUNNY FARM" FULL BLAST.

That is a promise.

*make that 31 times.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Dung Beetle: I don't understand. If you're not the guarantor, not on the lease, and not paying the rent every month (or even a portion of the rent every month), why do you check his account?
Well, one is reason is just that I'm his mama and I can. I know that's not a good reason, so I support it with reason number two. That is, the boy's roommate is my brother, and I want to make sure the rent does get paid eventually. I wouldn't put it past the young beetle to collect his uncle's share of the rent in cash and then use it for other than its intended purpose.

I spoke to the boy last night and he assured me he was going to pay the rent today. He also says he's going to make other living arrangements when this lease runs out, so I'm glad for that. I doubt his current landlord will invite him to stay on.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Well, one is reason is just that I'm his mama and I can. I know that's not a good reason, so I support it with reason number two. That is, the boy's roommate is my brother, and I want to make sure the rent does get paid eventually. I wouldn't put it past the young beetle to collect his uncle's share of the rent in cash and then use it for other than its intended purpose.

Well, thanks for the response. But your brother is an adult, right? (You see where this is going, right?) It's on him, I would think, to ensure money he turns over to his nephew is actually being paid for the rent. That can get complicated if the rental agreement prohibits subletting, but it's still on him. Not ensuring that can have drastic consequences.*

Quote:
I spoke to the boy last night and he assured me he was going to pay the rent today. He also says he's going to make other living arrangements when this lease runs out, so I'm glad for that. I doubt his current landlord will invite him to stay on.

Out of idle curiosity, was the conversation similar at all to my hypotehtical?

I wouldn't be surprised if current landlord evicts his ass along with anyone else in the apartment. *That's what happened to one of my university classmates. He and another roommate were paying cash to the guy actually on the lease. About three months before we graduated, the guy on the lease scuppered off with the money, and it turned out he had not been paying the rent for months. The two (my classmate and the other roommate) got evicted.

p.s. IANAL, but you might want to consider the bit about accessing online accounts that are not yours. I understand you want to ensure your son and brother don't have anything bad happen to them. You know that series Locked Up Abroad/Banged Up Abroad? The real moral of that series is some people don't learn until they fight the law and the law wins. From what you've posted here, your son is one of those people. Your brother? A much better conversation for him: "Bro, you can't trust your nephew to pay the rent. Word to the wise, huh?"

Let me tell you what happened to my younger brother once when we were teenagers. My dad's buddy, the sherrif, called Dad and said one of his officers picked up my brother for some offense and would he come pick him up. This was about midnight. Dad's response was simple: "Sure, I'll be there at 9 in the morning. Good night." Yes, that was in the "Tough Love" era. Little Bro pulled other inane things in the ensuing years, ultimately ending up with Mom kicking his ass out (he was an adult by this time). How did LB turn out? Great husband, outstanding father, leader in his church, runs two businesses. And he never held it against Mom for kicking his ass out. I think Mom and Dad had it right.

Last edited by Monty; 08-14-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
SHUT OFF THE FUCKING LULLABY ALREADY, OR I'M GONNA DIAL UP THE P.A. SYSTEM AND PLAY MOTORHEAD'S "BACK TO THE FUNNY FARM" FULL BLAST.

That is a promise.

*make that 31 times.
Do it! Do it! Do it!

Then post a link here to a video of the head nurse tearing down the hall like the Devil is after her.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
p.s. IANAL, but you might want to consider the bit about accessing online accounts that are not yours.

Meant to remove that. Ignore it, please.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

A bit of an anti-rant. I had a package delivered from the UK last week. The DHL delivery guy was polite and professional, and a couple of minutes later rang the doorbell again to let me know that it was starting to rain and my car window was open. I felt this was service above and beyond, and posted a compliment on the DHL website. This morning, the doorbell rang again with an unexpected delivery, which turned out to be a thank-you card and large basket with a selection of gourmet chocolates from DHL. My wife loves the chocolates and the cat has snagged the big bow. I guess they don't get a lot of compliments!
Old 08-14-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

I hear you, Monty. I know you're right but it's hard to watch your kid screw up without trying to manage it a little, even if you actually have no power to do so.

Quote:
Out of idle curiosity, was the conversation similar at all to my hypotehtical?
Ah no, at least not in tone. I said, "I see your rent is late again, is there some reason this keeps happening that I could help you with?" He said, "No, it's my fault I didn't ask Jim for his half until a few days ago. I'm going to pay it tomorrow." Notice this brings up questions as to why you didn't ask for the rent earlier since it was due on the first, or why my adult brother didn't realize the rent was due, or why this happens for a different reason every month. But we didn't go down the rabbit hole. I just wanted him to know someone's got an eye on him. As far as him moving in with us, he already knows that's not an alternative.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:16 PM

Not to mention that if you ask "Jim" about it, it might (as in will) be a different story. That's not how it works in the real world. The person on the lease pays the entire rent on time, even if the other party hasn't forked over the funds. Then the person on the lease harangues the other party or ultimately kicks his ass out. Well, maybe they both need learn the hard way.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post

That is a promise.

*make that 31 times.
In a parallel universe where I could have children, I would require the hospital to blast that song when I gave birth. \m/
Old 08-14-2019, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

For the second time since getting this 'upgrade' from DirecTV, I've managed to delete an entire block of recorded programs instead of just a single program. At least there's plenty of space on the DVR now.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

My latest annoyance is when someone posts totally inappropriate, off-topic stuff to a thread. Like compliments in a venting thread. You know who you are!

just kidding - Bookkeeper, it's nice to hear of someone (and their employer REALLY going above and beyond).

My latest: Our Verizon service has been creeping up in cost for no special reason.

A year or so back, I looked at changing plans. I could have gotten a slightly better TV lineup for the same as we were paying then (once I got them to drop some bogus crap that was automatically added in, that I couldn't remove using the website). I never got around to making the change.

Over the past week I have made *numerous* attempts to view their current plan lineup. NOWHERE on their web page does it give you options to tweak your own current configuration. Or if a link suggests that it might, the timer icon just spins, and spins, and spins. There are plenty of links to changing the TV lineup to a higher-end one - all of which are a LOT more expensive than our current one.

Their new-customer rate is pretty good - about half what we're paying, as long as you lock in for 2 years. I have no issue with that - overall their service is decent. But they do not offer those rates to existing customers - I asked about that the last time we made a change. So yeah, they're counting on inertia. Well, that's worked, so I guess it's a valid business model.... but I am going to get quotes from Box-Of-Rocks, and the satellite people. We'll see if making a serious threat to leave does anything for us.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:29 PM

Anti-rant first. Ralph, the big hairy dog peed outside today! Not at home, I'm a bitch, so tossed some ice in their water bowl, which made him slurp down a lot of water, then took the dogs to the dog park. He has followed the litter box outside, but this time, he did it on the dirt just like a big dog! Many good boy words happened

Rant: I use an Amazon Fire for reading because I can use it for other things in a pinch. The one I have is about 3 years ago, and something started happening with the screen a couple of months ago. It was like train tracks running down the side, connecting lines and all. I couldn't see how I would have damaged the screen so as to leave those sort of marks, so I ignored it. Next came train tracks down the other side of the screen. OK, I know I didn't do that sort of damage, its just the screen, but I can still use it for its primary function and I'm a tree-hugger. Not going to just toss it in the landfill in less I really have to.

The train tracks started coming down the middle of the screen about a month ago. Not really noticeable when it was on, so still usable.

Now smaller train tracks are filling in the bigger train tracks, kinda looks like fractals. Functionality is not so good anymore, so go to Amazon to order a new one. Arrival date? 8/28/19.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:21 PM

Have you talked with their customer service? They may want the old one back. They were happy to take my old kindle back when it borked.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Anti-rant: the entire set of programs I thought I had deleted has reappeared. Weird.