Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-03-2019, 11:52 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 8,130

This Wedks's awful Mass Murder


Never mind I am too broken up to do this right now.

Last edited by Biotop; 08-03-2019 at 11:54 PM.
  #2  
Old 08-04-2019, 12:11 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,221
Translation mine:

El País: "at least 20 dead and 26 wounded in this year's largest massacre in the US."

When a death count which in most ountries would be part of a war is the largest massacre "of the year", something is very fucked up
  #3  
Old 08-04-2019, 12:20 AM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 8,130
It's going to keep happening and happening again and nothing of substance will be done. Because there are no easy solutions we refuse to tackle the hard ones. Today you cannot go back-to-school shopping and not be safe from the lone gunman. You cannot go to school, to the movies, or church or to work. Someone somewhere is pissed off so be ready to hide.

We have to change a culture that resorts to guns and violence when its ability to reason is so inadequate to promote change. I don't know how to do it.

But I an so angry at those who say nothing can be done.
  #4  
Old 08-04-2019, 12:34 AM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 8,130
People should have the right to go to the store and not die. We should isolate the violent racists before they kill a bunch of decent folks. We need to restrict access to guns for those with mental illness. Get rid of assault weapons. And then we need to talk in terms of healing, of having healthy friendly relationships and rivalries.
  #5  
Old 08-04-2019, 12:41 AM
I Love Me, Vol. I's Avatar
I Love Me, Vol. I is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SF
Posts: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Translation mine:

El País: "at least 20 dead and 26 wounded in this year's largest massacre in the US."

When a death count which in most ountries would be part of a war is the largest massacre "of the year", something is very fucked up
Is this really the largest this year? I am serious when I say that I didn't know that and I'm surprised this is the biggest so far.

It's so crazy. In no way do I want to become jaded about this. But it's a horrible thing that I think it's impossible not to. I'm sure that happens in combat to an extent. "Don't get too close to any man in your unit," said the grizzled Vietnam-era USMC drill instructor...

I imagine combat is completely insane. Nothing can prepare you because normal human actions and reactions are thrown out the window. With these shootings though it's different. We DO react with normal human emotions. The USA is not a combat zone so this is cause for great alarm. If it happened once, or even 3 times over 20 years maybe it's pretty normal to just be shocked each time and yeah... offer your thoughts and prayers.

It used to be a tired old TV news cliche: the local guy or gal who invariably says of the horrific crime: "I just can't believe it. That kinda thing never happens here." Ahhhh... nostalgia.

When it just happens again and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, the normal human reaction is to say: "Hey. This ain't combat. So why are people dropping left and right as though it is? For FUCK'S sake. We GOTTA do something. NOW!!"

Clearly we disagree on the best way to handle this. But we are not even attempting anything that could be effective. I'm open to anything at this point. Maybe all adults SHOULD be trained to carry a weapon and then carry it at all times. I actually think this would be a huge mistake but if there's even a 2% chance it could help, maybe we should try it.

Again, not really but... if those fuckers won't try our ideas then maybe we should try theirs. If it goes like I expect it would there will be MORE handgun deaths, not less, but then maybe we could try our nuuuuuutttttty Socialist, Nazi, Commie, satanic, ideas.
  #6  
Old 08-04-2019, 01:01 AM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,713
There's a new active shooter incident in Dayton, Ohio, right now. No information beyond that yet.
  #7  
Old 08-04-2019, 03:31 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
Today you cannot go back-to-school shopping and not be safe from the lone gunman.

I believe you meant "cannot go back to school shopping and be safe".

And you're right. We do know what can be done to minimize this carnage: gun control.
  #8  
Old 08-04-2019, 03:45 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 25,877
Looks like this thread needs a title change from "Mass Murder" to "Mass Murders"
  #9  
Old 08-04-2019, 04:07 AM
Trafalgar Laura's Avatar
Trafalgar Laura is offline
Ice Bear, Honey Bear.
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 300
It's probably a bad sign for my inner self that I take glee every time I hear they caught one of these bastards alive. But I am happy when it happens. Whatever I think of our criminal system, I do know that isolation inside a place more socially dangerous than the 'outside' is a greater punishment than simply being put down. If they hated regular life so much and felt so rejected, let's see how they enjoy their new chosen lives as felons. Good luck at keeping up the tough guy attitude without an internet hate machine behind you cheering you on, assholes.

Although, of course, stopping them from hurting others comes first. But if the attackers can be caught alive, I want to see them live through the consequences of what they've done.

Last edited by Trafalgar Laura; 08-04-2019 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Edited to add more spite
  #10  
Old 08-04-2019, 04:24 AM
kambuckta is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Pilbara, Australia.
Posts: 10,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
It's going to keep happening and happening again and nothing of substance will be done. Because there are no easy solutions we refuse to tackle the hard ones. Today you cannot go back-to-school shopping and not be safe from the lone gunman. You cannot go to school, to the movies, or church or to work. Someone somewhere is pissed off so be ready to hide.

We have to change a culture that resorts to guns and violence when its ability to reason is so inadequate to promote change. I don't know how to do it.

But I an so angry at those who say nothing can be done.
The solution is easy. Ban the fuckers, unless someone is a member of a gun club, a licensed wildlife shooter, or a farmer. Simples.
  #11  
Old 08-04-2019, 04:44 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I believe you meant "cannot go back to school shopping and be safe".

And you're right. We do know what can be done to minimize this carnage: gun control.
A lot of the rules aren't so different on paper from the US (well, from each state) to other developed countries; what's different is both how guns are viewed and the implementation. Both in the US and AFAIK in every other developed country, legal gun sales are registered; in other countries, these records are a database every police agency has access to. In the US, it's kept by each store locally and doesn't go to law enforcement until the store gets out of business at which point, even if it was previously digital, it can't be kept digitally and needs to become a pile of paper (sorry I can't find the bookmark; IIRC my source was an article from The Atlantic but I may have the wrong magazine). The US manages to combine the biggest hard-on for punishing those who have been caught doing something wrong while unable to afford a good lawyer, with barriers on actually catching the culprits (from budgetting to subcontracting labs who aren't remotely qualified but who are cheapest to that weapons non-database) which are just... unbelievable. The kind of stuff that if you saw it in a movie you wouldn't believe it.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.

Last edited by Nava; 08-04-2019 at 04:46 AM.
  #12  
Old 08-04-2019, 05:02 AM
Isamu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Osaka
Posts: 6,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
A lot of the rules aren't so different on paper from the US (well, from each state) to other developed countries; what's different is both how guns are viewed and the implementation. Both in the US and AFAIK in every other developed country, legal gun sales are registered; in other countries, these records are a database every police agency has access to. In the US, it's kept by each store locally and doesn't go to law enforcement until the store gets out of business at which point, even if it was previously digital, it can't be kept digitally and needs to become a pile of paper (sorry I can't find the bookmark; IIRC my source was an article from The Atlantic but I may have the wrong magazine). The US manages to combine the biggest hard-on for punishing those who have been caught doing something wrong while unable to afford a good lawyer, with barriers on actually catching the culprits (from budgetting to subcontracting labs who aren't remotely qualified but who are cheapest to that weapons non-database) which are just... unbelievable. The kind of stuff that if you saw it in a movie you wouldn't believe it.
That's right, records are kept on paper, by law so the info can't be shared. So Katrina destroyed a lot of paper records that can never be regained.

Records aren't my main concern anyway, but the implementation of these half-measures is just stupid.

Last edited by Isamu; 08-04-2019 at 05:03 AM.
  #13  
Old 08-04-2019, 05:31 AM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Records aren't my main concern anyway, but the implementation of these half-measures is just stupid.
Agreed.

And I've said it before: I've been called a "gun grabber" here on these boards for every half-assed, fiddling-around-the-edges gun control measure.

So maybe it's time to grab the fucking guns. What are they gonna call us then, gun grabbers or something?

Ban private ownership of semi-automatic weapons, and register everything else. For the semi-autos, a two-year buyback period, another year after that where you can turn them in without penalty. After that, it's a felony to possess one, and if found with one, your premises are thoroughly searched for guns, and you lose them all, even the ones that are still legal.

There's probably no way to prevent mass murders altogether, but it shouldn't be so damn easy.
  #14  
Old 08-04-2019, 05:38 AM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,246
Of course I realize I'm pissing into the wind here. Even after two mass slaughters in one weekend, nothing's going to change. I'm sure the Republicans will offer their thoughts and prayers.

And as a number of people on Twitter have mentioned, the Democrats' 'thoughts and prayers' equivalent is: no, we can't possibly kill the filibuster, so we can pretend to be for gun control as much as we want, but don't worry about us ever being able to pass anything.

And even with all the turmoil inside the NRA, NRA celebrates 'highly successful year' in Texas.

Way to go, dudes. You've extended your winning streak there.
  #15  
Old 08-04-2019, 06:55 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Laura View Post
It's probably a bad sign for my inner self that I take glee every time I hear they caught one of these bastards alive.
If only we could offer up our stoats and bears. As in, feed them alive to stoats and bears.
  #16  
Old 08-04-2019, 07:13 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,109
As always, not damn word from the SDMB gunslinger community, and they know who they are. Not a sign of any emotion or any thought at all. Not even the courage and integrity to admit they stand for what they stand for.

Oh, and now Dayton.

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 08-04-2019 at 07:13 AM.
  #17  
Old 08-04-2019, 07:13 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
...

But I an so angry at those who say nothing can be done.
Even foam-at-the-mouth gun freaks know something CAN be done, they just refuse to entertain that.
  #18  
Old 08-04-2019, 07:24 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Even foam-at-the-mouth gun freaks know something CAN be done, they just refuse to entertain that.
Of course they know something CAN be done, but the way that rural and suburban white America views firearms is completely different than how people in the city tend to view them. My position on gun control is evolving to accept the fact that if we're going to have meaningful gun control reforms, we're going to have to address the cultural dimensions of firearms in this country. I honestly don't know how we do that, but I think that's what it will take.

One of the things that Trump has been able to exploit for his own gain is the growing divide between white rural and suburban America, and America's urban centers. We're increasingly living in these two different Americas, and the divisions are becoming toxic. On a range of political issues, with firearms control being among them, we have to convince the 'other' America that it's somehow in their interests to buy into the idea of change and reform. This is true of gun control and other issues like labor rights and universal healthcare coverage.
  #19  
Old 08-04-2019, 07:42 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,109
We can start with getting the cowards to admit their purpose for buying AR-15's and AK-47's and the like is not about this "constitutional militia" nonsense, but to stroke their fantasies of killing, fantasies that some of them have the courage to make real. That's what the related "resisting tyranny" nonsense actually means.
  #20  
Old 08-04-2019, 07:50 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 61,683
Velocity implies that these mass shootings are organized by gun control advocates. What a shithead.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 08-04-2019 at 07:51 AM.
  #21  
Old 08-04-2019, 07:56 AM
hajario's Avatar
hajario is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 16,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
You totally missed his point.
  #22  
Old 08-04-2019, 07:58 AM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 81,374
I think the way to consider the size of our nation's gun problem is to realize the mass shooting in Gilroy, California occurred a week ago but it's already been driven from public awareness by two more recent mass shootings.
  #23  
Old 08-04-2019, 08:01 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
We can start with getting the cowards to admit their purpose for buying AR-15's and AK-47's and the like is not about this "constitutional militia" nonsense, but to stroke their fantasies of killing, fantasies that some of them have the courage to make real. That's what the related "resisting tyranny" nonsense actually means.
The way to go, IMO, is to accept that it may take a longer time to change attitudes of people living in rural and suburban white America than we hope, and we therefore need a sustained grassroots outreach to educate people and change their positions. The Democrats are probably all going to talk about all kinds of restrictions in the next debate and it's just going to be interpreted as America's diverse urban centers using their sheer size advantage to overpower the less populated areas.

There has to be outreach. Yes, the NRA and Republicans are defending shitty ideals but they're successful at it because they've helped reinforce this idea that "their" America is not the same as everyone else's America. I wish I had answers on what, specifically, to say to convince these people that it's not in their interests to have these instruments of mass murder floating around in the population, but I probably don't. I'm not sure there really are magic words; it's likely a matter of getting more face time and contact in these communities, and a matter of building relationships and trust.

That's one thing I think that both Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren seem to understand, and one thing that Hillary Clinton clearly did not. You can't just be a face that people see on TV; you have to be live and in the flesh, and you sometimes have to venture into territory where you're less liked and less appreciated.
  #24  
Old 08-04-2019, 08:06 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I think the way to consider the size of our nation's gun problem is to realize the mass shooting in Gilroy, California occurred a week ago but it's already been driven from public awareness by two more recent mass shootings.
Take the example of Gilroy and connect it to shootings in larger cities. These examples show they can happen anywhere, not just in crowded shopping centers or office buildings but in rural churches or at local festivals.
  #25  
Old 08-04-2019, 08:07 AM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 8,130
Could I get a moderator to fix the title of this thread. I was too shaken and upset when I wrote it. Thank you.
  #26  
Old 08-04-2019, 08:07 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
That's not how I interpreted his post.
  #27  
Old 08-04-2019, 08:19 AM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,836
Some of the discussions we've had about this have been nothing short of surreal -- like "let's discuss how to fix this problem without actually doing anything" -- i.e.- without any significant changes to gun laws. This is where we get idiot suggestions like it's all the media's fault for "glorifying" the killers -- which overlooks two things: (1) all other civilized countries have media, too, and cover the killings in exactly the same way, yet are almost completely free of mass shootings, and (2) all those other thousands of gun homicides every year, which are so common that they barely get any media attention at all, and whose off-the-chart high numbers are also unique to America.

But the reality is that nothing is going to be done without a culture change so significant that it reflects the realization that the Second Amendment -- and particularly the lunatic interpretation of it in the Heller ruling -- has become the biggest threat to public safety in the history of modern America. Until this fact is well and truly understood, the future will continue to be a spinning of wheels under the delusional attitude of "let's see what can be done without actually doing anything".

The gun culture and the political power of the NRA are certainly a big part of the problem, but it occurs to me that what we call "gun culture" is probably a subset of a larger American culture, the culture of individualism, where the word "freedom" is taken to mean the primacy of individualism over a collective sense of social responsibility. It means the perspective that if you, personally, own a gun, and you see it (wrongly, as it turns out) as a source of personal protection -- and of course, would never do anything bad with it -- then what could possibly be the problem? The perspective that this also means that everybody and his dog has exactly the same right -- and that the consequence is rampant gun proliferation and the gun violence we see in America today -- seems completely lost on the proponents of individualism.

Last edited by wolfpup; 08-04-2019 at 08:21 AM.
  #28  
Old 08-04-2019, 08:30 AM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 8,130
We have fomented such a culture of anger and hatred that it gives the severely unstable license to commit these awful acts. In accepting a culture of anger and hate we have justified their rage. And we have given them easy access to mass killing weapons. This has to change now or it will keep happening again and again and again and again.
  #29  
Old 08-04-2019, 08:38 AM
I Love Me, Vol. I's Avatar
I Love Me, Vol. I is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SF
Posts: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Some of the discussions we've had about this have been nothing short of surreal -- like "let's discuss how to fix this problem without actually doing anything" -- i.e.- without any significant changes to gun laws. This is where we get idiot suggestions like it's all the media's fault for "glorifying" the killers -- which overlooks two things: (1) all other civilized countries have media, too, and cover the killings in exactly the same way, yet are almost completely free of mass shootings, and (2) all those other thousands of gun homicides every year, which are so common that they barely get any media attention at all, and whose off-the-chart high numbers are also unique to America.

But the reality is that nothing is going to be done without a culture change so significant that it reflects the realization that the Second Amendment -- and particularly the lunatic interpretation of it in the Heller ruling -- has become the biggest threat to public safety in the history of modern America. Until this fact is well and truly understood, the future will continue to be a spinning of wheels under the delusional attitude of "let's see what can be done without actually doing anything".

The gun culture and the political power of the NRA are certainly a big part of the problem, but it occurs to me that what we call "gun culture" is probably a subset of a larger American culture, the culture of individualism, where the word "freedom" is taken to mean the primacy of individualism over a collective sense of social responsibility. It means the perspective that if you, personally, own a gun, and you see it (wrongly, as it turns out) as a source of personal protection -- and of course, would never do anything bad with it -- then what could possibly be the problem? The perspective that this also means that everybody and his dog has exactly the same right -- and that the consequence is rampant gun proliferation and the gun violence we see in America today -- seems completely lost on the proponents of individualism.
Yeah but... America.





and Exceptionalism







Shining City on a Hill





That means something, doesn't it? It HAS to mean something. I've got a lot invested in this Ideal... someones gotta pay. And if that means innocent men, women, and children gots to die horrible deaths then so be it.

Everything has its price. It's sad that folks gotta get cancelled but... we're talking about something a whole lot bigger than just a few fat Wal-Mart shoppers and their fat TV dinner lives.

Keep your Eyes on the Prize. As long as there are black folk and brown folk in the world you ain't getting my guns from me.


Race traitors.
  #30  
Old 08-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,713
One of the most horrifying things I've ever seen on this board was a post about the Sandy Hook massacre by a now-banned poster, in which he stated that he was fine with 20 kids being murdered if that was the price of him getting to keep his guns. (No cite: I did not bookmark the post and trying to find it through either the SDMB search or Google has, so far, turned up nothing.)

That attitude is why this country will never solve this problem. Too many people don't want to. They don't think it is a problem. They've bought into the mythos that guns solve problems and that they're the good guys to do the job.
  #31  
Old 08-04-2019, 08:45 AM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
Could I get a moderator to fix the title of this thread. I was too shaken and upset when I wrote it. Thank you.
I think it’s more effective with the typo, for the reason you just stated.
  #32  
Old 08-04-2019, 08:59 AM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,246
Quote:
The suspected shooter was shot and killed by responding officers "in less than a minute" after opening fire, [Dayton] Mayor Nan Whaley said.
Nine dead in Ohio (not counting the shooter), 26 injured, less than a minute. Tell me this fairy tale again about how a 'good guy with a gun' can prevent mass shootings, when in fact a uniformed 'good guy with a gun' shot the killer in under a minute, yet the carnage during that minute was massive.

But you know, those nine, and the twenty in El Paso yesterday, and the three at the Gilroy festival, and so forth and so on...they're the Second Amendment heroes, right? Giving their lives that the gun nuts may enjoy their lethal toys without restriction.

Frankly, allowing everyone to own (and in Texas and Ohio, carry in plain view) such lethal toys is nothing short of barbaric. We are all perpetually hostage to the gun people, and any time one of them has a bad day, they can go on a rampage and kill a bunch of random people just because.

A civilized society would ensure that this was not possible. We've still got a long way to go.

And the next time some wingnut asshole goes off about how libruls denied someone his free speech rights, I'll ask him about the twenty dead in El Paso or the nine dead in Dayton, who've been denied their free speech rights forever, not just in one particular venue on one particular occasion, but everywhere and always.
  #33  
Old 08-04-2019, 09:02 AM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,246
Tin soldiers and Trump is coming
we're finally on our own
this summer I hear the mourning
nine dead in Ohio

Gotta get down to it, gun nuts are gunning us down
something should've been done long ago
what if you knew them and found them dead on the ground
how could you run when you know
  #34  
Old 08-04-2019, 09:11 AM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,246
From Twitter:
Quote:
July 28
Gilroy: 3 dead, 12 injured

August 3
El Paso: 20 dead, 26 injured

August 4
Dayton: 9 dead, 16 injured

If there were 3 ISIS-inspired attacks killing 32 and injuring 54 across 3 states in one week CAN YOU EVEN IMAGINE the policy options we would be discussing right now.
But it's white supremacist white guys (at least 2 out of 3, don't know about Dayton yet) so thoughts and prayers.
  #35  
Old 08-04-2019, 09:30 AM
E-DUB's Avatar
E-DUB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,672
"And if three people do it................they may think it's an organization."-Arlo Guthrie.
"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action."-Ian Fleming

A list should be made of the victims of every mass shooting and read aloud at the NRA convention. After all, these people are martyrs to your holy Second Amendment. The least you can do is acknowledge them.
  #36  
Old 08-04-2019, 09:46 AM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,713
There was another mass shooting last night, in Chicago. No deaths, but seven wounded.
  #37  
Old 08-04-2019, 09:57 AM
enipla is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
From Twitter:
But it's white supremacist white guys (at least 2 out of 3, don't know about Dayton yet) so thoughts and prayers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by From RTFifefly's Twitter link
If there were 3 ISIS-inspired attacks killing 32 and injuring 54 across 3 states in one week CAN YOU EVEN IMAGINE the policy options we would be discussing right now.
Throw this query into Google - "fox news blames isis on gun shootings".

They are blaming everyone else.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #38  
Old 08-04-2019, 09:58 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
From Twitter:
But it's white supremacist white guys (at least 2 out of 3, don't know about Dayton yet) so thoughts and prayers.

But that doesn't address the very real decision Americans must make, and the national discussion that must be had at this point. We can't politicize these crimes obviously, but that doesn't mean immediate practical considerations shouldn't be on the table. That is to say, how best should the thoughts and prayers be divided among those shooting victims ? Should turns be taken so that the full nation prays for Dayton on even days and El Paso on odd ones ; or should the thoughts be permanent but districted ?
Obvioulsy we can't socialize the prayers, that'd be tantamount to slavery.

Last edited by Kobal2; 08-04-2019 at 10:00 AM.
  #39  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:02 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,854
Thanks, Trump!
  #40  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:05 AM
BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 21,422
Don't know the motivations of the Ohio shooter yet, but the Texas shooter was obviously inspired by the anti-immigrant racist rhetoric coming from the usurper in the White House. Those dead in Texas were murdered because of The Donald. Their blood is on his orange hands.

Yeah, sure things can be fixed. Sensible gun controls. What's going to be done? Republicans saying: "Thoughts and prayers for Texas. Thoughts and prayers for Ohio. There, I've done my part."
  #41  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:10 AM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Throw this query into Google - "fox news blames isis on gun shootings".

They are blaming everyone else.
According to the latest news from Fox, the real culprits appear to be ISIS and video games. At least it's a refreshing change from blaming the media. Heaven forfend that anyone should ever think to blame the fact that every demented lunatic in America has at least seventeen guns. That couldn't possibly have anything to do with it.
  #42  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:16 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,854
Quote:
The shooting in Dayton comes after the area was heavily damaged when tornadoes swept through western Ohio in late May, destroying or damaging hundreds of homes and businesses.

“Dayton has been through a lot already this year, and I continue to be amazed by the grit and resiliency of our community,” [Dayton Mayor Nan] Whaley said.
Stay strong. Thoughts & prayers. Land of the free. Liberty! Freedom!

Not much happiness tho.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-04-2019 at 10:16 AM.
  #43  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:17 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,109
Texas is an open carry state, and the Walmart is an open carry store that sells guns and ammo, but somehow there was no Good Guy With A Gun? How so? Obviously the gun was there, so there must have been a Good Guy missing.
  #44  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:35 AM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Texas is an open carry state, and the Walmart is an open carry store that sells guns and ammo, but somehow there was no Good Guy With A Gun? How so? Obviously the gun was there, so there must have been a Good Guy missing.
Don't you read your NRA newsletters, boy? The reason that mass shootings happen is because there aren't enough guns around, or if there are, there aren't enough gunslingers slinging them. If everybody was constantly armed to the teeth, nobody would get shot, ever. I'm pretty sure that's how they do it in all other countries.
  #45  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:41 AM
Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 17,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Texas is an open carry state, and the Walmart is an open carry store that sells guns and ammo, but somehow there was no Good Guy With A Gun? How so? Obviously the gun was there, so there must have been a Good Guy missing.
If the Good Guy With a Gun had any sense, he’d be either hiding or running his ass off like everyone else.
__________________
Uke
  #46  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:44 AM
jsc1953 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,585
A not-original, but sobering thought: after Sandy Hook, we know that absolutely nothing will be done. We'd rather that little kids get murdered than change our gun laws.

If we really wanted to do something -- if I was god-emperor of the United States -- step 1 is repealing the 2nd Amendment.
  #47  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:44 AM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
According to the latest news from Fox, the real culprits appear to be ISIS and video games. At least it's a refreshing change from blaming the media. Heaven forfend that anyone should ever think to blame the fact that every demented lunatic in America has at least seventeen guns. That couldn't possibly have anything to do with it.
I thought ISIS was defeated and no more.

By the way, guess who said this:
Quote:
Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited…” It is “… not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”

“Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.”

“We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. Miller (an earlier case) said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those “in common use at the time.” We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of ‘dangerous and unusual weapons.’”
SPOILER:
Justice Antonin Scalia in Heller
  #48  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:49 AM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 8,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
A not-original, but sobering thought: after Sandy Hook, we know that absolutely nothing will be done. We'd rather that little kids get murdered than change our gun laws.

If we really wanted to do something -- if I was god-emperor of the United States -- step 1 is repealing the 2nd Amendment.
Repeal and replace. Replace with common sense that allows people the right to protect themselves and hunt but doesn't mean everybody can arm themselves however they want without oversight.
  #49  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:57 AM
FloatyGimpy's Avatar
FloatyGimpy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 3,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
One of the most horrifying things I've ever seen on this board was a post about the Sandy Hook massacre by a now-banned poster, in which he stated that he was fine with 20 kids being murdered if that was the price of him getting to keep his guns. (No cite: I did not bookmark the post and trying to find it through either the SDMB search or Google has, so far, turned up nothing.)

That attitude is why this country will never solve this problem. Too many people don't want to. They don't think it is a problem. They've bought into the mythos that guns solve problems and that they're the good guys to do the job.
Agreed. I think about that post every time there is, yet another, mass shooting. With attitudes like that, I don't think the problem can ever be fixed.

In the thread in MPSIMS someone mentioned a voluntary gun buy-back. Maybe that's a start? I am not American but I personally know people who have guns that they don't want and don't know how to legally get rid of them. A buy-back would bring in a lot of guns.
  #50  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:59 AM
BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 21,422
Remember when we had a president that inspired us to go to the moon? Now we have one that inspires mass murder.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017