Old 08-07-2019, 11:51 PM

Or is business AND gubment evil? Fuck Iím so confused.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:55 PM

Business is beautiful except when Our jobs go to China and Our IT support goes to India. So long as the IT support for the app is in Costa Rica (1) and your telephone is Made in Korea (2), you're golden.

1: it's one of those Mexican countries, but one with a healthy economy and society which sends very few people to the US, therefore one which doesn't exist. Or something. Pura Vida anyway, damn I miss that place.
2: I suggest making that South Korea, but you may need to check with your President.

Last edited by Nava; 08-07-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:07 AM

Nevermind, can’t have Cossta Ricans taking advantage of our mass shootings.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmechanic View Post
I honestly think the free market can curtail the majority of lone gunman type mass shootings, if allowed to. Lawyers and insurance companies could bring swift changes. Buying an assault weapon could jack ur home owners premiums through the roof, and if lawyers are allowed to sue all actors involved, would bring swift changes. Let the American system work as intended. It worked for muscle cars, they died pretty quick.
They have no incentive to do that, though. Also, muscle cars did not die, they had a temporary decline in popularity which eventually rebounded. Every fourth car I see on the damn road is a new Challenger.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:38 AM

The incentive isnít there, cause of federal protection against free market principles.
Modern muscle cars still require higher premiums, and mostly owned by older responsible drivers. Younger drivers? They pay out the ass, as they should
Old 08-13-2019, 10:53 PM

Jesus, I just watched surveillance video of the Dayton shooter get gunned down by police on CNN.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
I'm guessing you've never been to Chicago? Why don't you shut up about my city. I'm so sick of people bringing up Chicago as if that somehow means mass shootings are not a problem.
So the shootings in Chicago aren't a problem? That's good to know.

And yes, I have been to Chicago. Many times.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
How is the NYT statement that 75% of identifiable assailants and victims are black a ďconclusionĒ as opposed to reporting a fact?
So youíve got a white guy who walks into a store and starts firing away. Seven customers are killed, six of whom happen to be black.

Of that set of ďassailants and victims,Ē what percentage would be described as black?

Bonus points if you get the answer without clicking on the spoiler box.

SPOILER:
75%.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taesahnim View Post
So the shootings in Chicago aren't a problem? That's good to know.

And yes, I have been to Chicago. Many times.
Why are you trying to derail this thread with this Chicago stuff? What does Chicago have to do with a mass shooter inspired by Trump to murder a bunch of Hispanic people in El Paso? Every major city in America has shootings. Chicago isn't even at the top of the list. Are you incapable of just discussing the thread topic?
Old 08-14-2019, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbeck View Post
why are you trying to derail this thread with this chicago stuff?
прогиб

Old 08-14-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

If I may be so crass as to quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Nothing stains more conservative pillows with tears, other than maybe their deep, heartfelt concern over gang violence in the South Side of Chicago, triggered every time there's a mass shooting somewhere else.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:20 PM

It's a conservative trope that every time there's a mass shooting, and clamor is raised for gun control, conservatives start saying "whatabbout Chicago?".

Interestingly....I just finished Michelle Obama's memoir ("Becoming") and she devotes a considerable amount of time lamenting gun violence in Chicago.

So yes: news flash: it's possible to be horrified both by gang shootouts in Chicago and random massacres in a movie theater or elementary school. It's not an either/or. And here's the best part: the same solution (gun controls) helps *both* problems! Amazing!!
Old 08-14-2019, 06:25 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
So youíve got a white guy who walks into a store and starts firing away. Seven customers are killed, six of whom happen to be black.

Of that set of ďassailants and victims,Ē what percentage would be described as black?

SPOILER:
75%.

Thatís pretty clearly not what they meant, and I would bet everything I own that this is not what comes through in the actual data. As I demonstrated with FBI statistics in a different thread a while back, although most murders involve assailants and victims of the same race, itís significantly more common, on a per capita basis, for a black person to kill a white person than vice versa.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post

SPOILER:
75%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Thatís pretty clearly not what they meant, and I would bet everything I own that this is not what comes through in the actual data. As I demonstrated with FBI statistics in a different thread a while back, although most murders involve assailants and victims of the same race, itís significantly more common, on a per capita basis, for a black person to kill a white person than vice versa.
Then I guess we need to bring back copy editor as a profession, because thatís pretty clearly what that set of words MEANS. If they meant something else, they should have used different words.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:05 PM
Suspended

We are on the verge of the 50th anniversary of Woodstock. If you read a New York Times story that said “the vast majority of musicians and concertgoers had a great time despite the difficulties with weather and logistics”, would you really think that might mean that virtually every musician hated it but were outnumbered by the vast numbers of those in the audience who enjoyed it?
Old 08-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

It wouldn’t exclude the possibility.