Old 08-08-2019, 04:38 AM

SDMB Fantasy Football DYNASTY League: Year 11

Last year's thread

Hall of Champions:
2018 Champion: Ellis Dee
2017 Champion: VarlosZ
2016 Champion: SenorBeef (Exploding Pancakes)
2015 Champion: VarlosZ
2014 Champion: Stringer (We Do HGH)
2013 Champion: VarlosZ
2012 Champion: Hamlet (CuteWiddleBunny)
2011 Champion: SenorBeef (Exploding Pancakes)
2010 Champion: Stringer (We Do HGH)
2009 Champion: Really Not All That Bright

Points Leaders by Year (including Weeks 15-16)
2018: Hamlet: 2204.75
2017: RNATB: 2095.71
2016: Petey: 2018.97
2015: VarlosZ: 2183.64
2014: Stringer: 2177.27
2013: SenorBeef: 2132.81
2012: Stringer: 2095.83
2011: Stringer: 2229.75
2010: Stringer: 2167.03
2009: Hamlet: 2207.00

2018 Final Results:
1) New York Fanboys (Ellis Dee)
2) HungryHungryHaruspex (Jules Andre)
3) Moridwon (Hamlet)
4) Nine Inch Neils (RNATB)
5) Warner's Brothers (dalej42)
6) Ides of Martz (Omniscient)
7) The Great Old Ones (Ol'Gaffer)
8) No Use For A Name (Retrovertigo)
9) Overly Sentimental (Overly Sentimental)
10) JB's Gusterrhoids (Justin Bailey)
11) Exploding Pancakes (SenorBeef)
12) Isotopes (Petey)

2019 Draft Order:
1.01 - Isotopes
1.02 - Exploding Pancakes
1.03 - JB's Gusterrhoids
1.04 - Overly Sentimental
1.05 - Warner's Brothers
1.06 - Ides of Martz
1.07 - The Great Old Ones
1.08 - No Use For A Name
1.09 - Nine Inch Neils
1.10 - Moridwon
1.11 - Warner's Brothers (From: HungryHungryHaruspex)
1.12 - New York Fanboys

2.01 - Isotopes
2.02 - Exploding Pancakes
2.03 - JB's Gusterrhoids
2.04 - Overly Sentimental
2.05 - Warner's Brothers
2.06 - Ides of Martz
2.07 - The Great Old Ones
2.08 - No Use For A Name
2.09 - Nine Inch Neils
2.10 - Moridwon
2.11 - HungryHungryHaruspex
2.12 - New York Fanboys

3.01 - Isotopes
3.02 - Exploding Pancakes
3.03 - JB's Gusterrhoids
3.04 - Overly Sentimental
3.05 - HungryHungryHaruspex (From: Warner's Brothers)
3.06 - Ides of Martz
3.07 - The Great Old Ones
3.08 - No Use For A Name
3.09 - Nine Inch Neils
3.10 - Moridwon
3.11 - HungryHungryHaruspex
3.12 - New York Fanboys

There is only one outstanding trade from last season, which is reflected in the above draft order.

League dates:
Week 3 of preseason: Thursday, Aug. 22nd - Sunday. Aug. 25th
Final roster cuts: Noon ET Sunday, Aug. 25th
2019 Draft opening day: Monday, Aug. 26th
NFL opening day: Thursday, Sept. 5th

***Archive***
Year One through Nine League Thread and Trade Logs
Year Ten league thread
Year Ten trade log

Sorry the thread is late this year. Thanks to Jules for collecting all this data for me, and who will probably be redoing our schedule this year to the format we've been using for a few years, which puts the divisional games together and generally makes the end of year games more meaningful.

Rule changes or proposals for any sort are welcome for discussion.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 08-08-2019 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:00 PM

Let's remove the missed PAT penalty to reflect that they're much more difficult now. I suggested this last year as a rule change for this year, and here's my follow-up.

The current PAT distance is the equivalent of a 30-39 field goal, which if it were a field goal would be +3 if you make it, -2 if you miss it, for a total of +1 if you miss one / make one.

Let's normalize PATs to the same scale by removing the penalty for missing: +1 if you make it, 0 if you miss it, for a total of +1 if you miss one / make one.

EDIT: I'm concerned that the response is going to be "Let's just remove kickers" and several people agree, but ultimately not enough to fully remove kickers and then nothing ends up being done at all. Let's first agree to remove the PAT miss penalty, and then tackle the issue of removing kickers altogether if that's what people want. (I don't think I do, but I suppose I could be convinced.)

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 08-08-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:23 PM

Sure, the PAT penalty thing is fine. I think one year we decided to play around with the idea of making kickers more efficiency based with increased penalties for misses, but it ended up just raising kicker score a bit overall. I'd be fine with going back to default kicker scoring, or, as a separate proposal, just getting rid of kickers.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:10 PM

Default scoring for kickers works for me.

I could be convinced to ditch kickers entirely if one or two people are passionate about it, but if nobody really cares either way, I vote keep them.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

The SDMB has been acting up over weekends lately. I’d suggest some leniency over weekends if this happens. I know we try to do a lot of the draft over weekends.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:06 AM

Hello everyone! This is the best thread of the year. Actually, it's the only one I ever post in anymore.

I am strongly in favor of the proposal to remove the extra point penalty, and I am also in favor of getting rid of kickers. My mind has changed on this over the last couple seasons. I would rather remove kickers than switch to default scoring.

I'll be getting to the schedule over the next day or so, using the scheduling logic from last season (outlined here). This seemed to work out really well.

I encourage everyone to post their thoughts on the state of their roster, or draft reviews, etc. They're fun to read and argue about. It's especially fun when everyone despairs over how incredible my team is. That would make for some nice restroom reading.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:35 AM

Greetings. Just posting to resubscribe. Will post thoughts later. Can't wait to get rolling again this year.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

I have no opinions on kickers, I spend almost no time thinking about them. I generally pick a kicker that has a home team in a dome or else plays for a home team in a warm weather climate.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:44 PM

Let's get rid of kickers.
We might as well use a random number generator to assign between 5-15 points a week to each team. There's enough flukey randomness in football already.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2019, 03:51 PM

Somebody please remind me how the cuts/keeper/dear business works again? If there a limit to how many times you can keep someone?
Sorry my memory is worthless

Old 08-10-2019, 05:32 PM

You get as many draft picks as you have roster spots below 25. It's not necessarily equal to the number of cuts, because sometimes due to the IR slot you can end the season with more than 25. There's no limit on how many players you can keep or how long you can keep them, you have total control of your roster.

So if you have 26 guys on your roster (since you ended the season with 1 guy on IR), and cut 4 players, you'll have 22 players on your roster, giving you picks in round 1, 2, and 3.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overly Sentimental View Post
Let's get rid of kickers.
We might as well use a random number generator to assign between 5-15 points a week to each team. There's enough flukey randomness in football already.
Only if we eliminate defenses also.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:00 AM

So apparently George Kittle is getting hailed as an elite TE nowadays. Not bad for a guy I got in the second round of the draft last year. I'll put him on the block and take offers. I'd like to see a startable RB.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:58 PM

I'm back in.

Now that this has happened two years in a row to me (finishing 8th but getting the 8th pick) I'm realizing the crappy way we decide draft order in this league. I know the Consolation Playoff was supposed to help deter tanking, but I'm confused why we thought that when the bottom four teams get the top four spots automatically.

I come in 8th place by 50 pts and then lose the first round game to a better team. What incentive do I have to keep me from losing every game once I realize I'm not making the playoffs?
Old 08-14-2019, 04:03 PM

Hmm, didn't we change that a couple years ago, and then have to re-learn it last year? I didn't look too thoroughly in that case, but I thought we decided that only the winner would get the #5 slot and the rest would be reverse order of standings. I'm gonna have to dig around last year's thread to figure that out, which I won't be able to do for a while.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:46 PM

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

If someone has some evidence that kickers are subject to abnormal compared to other positions and unjustifiable variance in scoring, I'd happily listen, but I'm not seeing the reason to get rid of kickers. Just ask a Bears fan how important kickers are to the game of football.

I look forward to seeing how injuries are going to fuck me again in this league.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Low blow.

I'm in favor of returning to standard scoring. I don't think we need to drop them entirely but I wouldn't make a stink if that's the majority preference.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:21 PM

To clarify, what is standard kicker scoring? My google skills are weak; the best I can tell standard scoring means the same as we've been using, except no penalties for any misses. Is that the case?

If so, I kind of like the FG miss penalties we use; it's only the PAT miss penalty that feels off. If we remove all the miss penalties for kickers, I think that would bump up kicker scores across the board by more than I think is needed.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:13 AM

Upon further review I withdraw my recommendation to remove kicker. There were some pretty solid correlations that show its more than just random.

I was also thinking re: draft order, maybe we could use a system that looks back two or three seasons. This will dampen the effect of tanking one season but can also give hope to teams that get stuck in multi year rebuilds.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:26 AM

Mark me down as another one who doesn't want to get rid of kickers. I'd also be OK with dropping the missed PAT penalty while keeping the missed FG penalty.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:53 AM

In order to correct the schedules, I've had to finalize the teams list. This may cause problems if you haven't logged in to the league yet (I don't actually know if it will). If it does, just reply in here. We seem to have just about everyone posting in here so far (only RNATB hasn't checked in here), so maybe this is posting about nothing.

The schedule has been updated, following the instructions I laid out in my previous post. We are just about set for the new season!
Old 08-19-2019, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroVertigo View Post
I'm back in.

Now that this has happened two years in a row to me (finishing 8th but getting the 8th pick) I'm realizing the crappy way we decide draft order in this league. I know the Consolation Playoff was supposed to help deter tanking, but I'm confused why we thought that when the bottom four teams get the top four spots automatically.

I come in 8th place by 50 pts and then lose the first round game to a better team. What incentive do I have to keep me from losing every game once I realize I'm not making the playoffs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef
Hmm, didn't we change that a couple years ago, and then have to re-learn it last year? I didn't look too thoroughly in that case, but I thought we decided that only the winner would get the #5 slot and the rest would be reverse order of standings. I'm gonna have to dig around last year's thread to figure that out, which I won't be able to do for a while.
If it helps, I did the digging. Going back the last five years, we've done it the way it was listed in the first post. Back in the Year Nine thread, I actually laid this out specifically to avoid confusion about this (welp). This was also noted by Justin_Bailey in the Year Seven thread before the then-commissioner-and-now-missing-person-cold-case reiterated it later in the same thread.

I didn't go any farther back through the threads, but a search of the word "consolation" never turned up a proposal to change the draft order. For the record, I see the merit in changing it, and would not be opposed; however, I do think it should not change for this season.

And for my own reference next season, we don't snake the even rounds, dummy.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:59 AM

IIRC we started last year's draft right around the start of the third preseason games. Is that the plan this time? Do we know when we should have our cuts in and figure out number of draft picks each team has? I know I'm ready to make cuts at anytime, but if people need more time, that's cool too. But we should start looking forward to starting soon.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
IIRC we started last year's draft right around the start of the third preseason games. Is that the plan this time? Do we know when we should have our cuts in and figure out number of draft picks each team has? I know I'm ready to make cuts at anytime, but if people need more time, that's cool too. But we should start looking forward to starting soon.
We’ve been lucky that the SDMB has not been acting up over weekends lately, but since weekends are when we do the most drafting, that might be something to keep in mind when we start drafting. There was a recent weekend when the board was completely down. Other weekends this summer have seen days of long 502 and 504 errors and timeouts.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Think we could get everyone onto a Discord server as a fall back?
Old 08-19-2019, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Think we could get everyone onto a Discord server as a fall back?
I must be stupid but what’s a Discord server? My fantasy baseball leagues use Google hangouts for our offline draft and general sports banter
Old 08-19-2019, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I must be stupid but what’s a Discord server? My fantasy baseball leagues use Google hangouts for our offline draft and general sports banter
Same basic idea, but Discord is a bit more popular in the internet world since it's easier to remain anonymous. Got really popular in the gamer community.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I had a similar thought a couple days ago but then remembered that the schedule is in the OP, and we're in fine shape:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
League dates:
Week 3 of preseason: Thursday, Aug. 22nd - Sunday. Aug. 25th
Final roster cuts: Noon ET Sunday, Aug. 25th
2019 Draft opening day: Monday, Aug. 26th
NFL opening day: Thursday, Sept. 5th
Last year the draft went smoothly and quickly, with no concern about running out of time, using a similar schedule as above. I'd forgotten that we wait to post our cuts after the 3rd week games as well, not just start the draft after those games, so that's pretty much perfect.

I'm assuming we'll probably start the draft right around noon on that Sunday, when the final cuts are due, because why not?

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 08-20-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:52 AM

If anyone would like a formatted roster list, PM me a request and I'll PM your roster back to you. Last year I wrote a program that generates a roster list automatically with just a couple keystrokes, so I'm happy to save the hassle for anyone interested.

For an example, here's how Beef's roster looks, hidden in a spoiler box to reduce thread clutter:

SPOILER:
Aaron Rodgers, QB, GB
Sam Darnold, QB, NYJ
Josh Allen, QB, Buf

Jordan Howard, RB, Phi
Nick Chubb, RB, Cle
Ty Montgomery, RB, NYJ
Chris Thompson, RB, Was
Isaiah Crowell, RB, Oak
Jay Ajayi, RB, Phi

Tyler Lockett, WR, Sea
T.Y. Hilton, WR, Ind
Allen Robinson II, WR, Chi
Jordy Nelson, WR, Oak
Josh Gordon, WR, NE
Terrelle Pryor Sr., WR, Jax
Antonio Callaway, WR, Cle
Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Chi
Robert Foster, WR, Buf
Chris Conley, WR, Jax
Simmie Cobbs Jr., WR, NO
Cameron Meredith, WR, NE

Cameron Brate, TE, TB
Evan Engram, TE, NYG

Matt Prater, K, Det

Los Angeles, DEF, LAC
Denver, DEF, Den
San Francisco, DEF, SF

It's not particularly hard to generate these lists manually, but why bother if you don't have to? The program groups by position but does not currently rank by highest projected points. I suppose I could add that, but my laziness makes that unlikely.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:49 AM

I'm going to be offline this weekend until Sunday night so will miss the cut deadline. However, I will post them that evening when I'm back in town.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:51 PM

I've submitted my cuts online, but I will be in Australia for the next 10 days so my picks might be delayed from a timing standpoint. I'll be able to make my picks but since most picks will be made during my overnight there might be a gap.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:10 PM

I might not be around this weekend, so here are my preliminary cuts:

Josh Adams, RB, Phi
Jordan Matthews, WR, SF
Matt Bryant, K, Atl