Old 08-11-2019, 11:33 PM

Who are you & what time is it in the MMP?

My phone normally connects to wifi & makes calls over wifi when connected. Last week I couldn't make calls over wifi; I'm guessing it's because I'm in a foreign country & don't have service on this phone. I try adding the US/international calling code to the number I'm dialing but it still doesn't work. Plan B is install skype & use that to call home.

Early this morning my phone rings, it's someone calling me from the US; not only does it wake me up but, "Hey, my phone works over wifi now!"

Now I freak out as I'm late getting up. Ummm, wait what time is it (as my phone doesn't match my watch)? For whatever reason, now the wifi calling works, but the phone won't update to the now local timezone; it still has me on GMT+7 (Thai time) no matter what I do to it, including turning on location services so it knows where I am. I have to turn off auto-time & set it manually. Now that I'm playing with it again, it seems to be working 12 hours after arriving in this timezone.

Sometimes electronics be weird.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:25 AM

Happy Moonday!

Up too early, the trash men woke me up, and then I read the time wrong. I thought I was getting up at 6:10, turns out it was 5:10.
So I have a bit a time before heading out to the park.

It's a chilly 57 degrees outside, I should wear long sleeves out.

Today I have to deal with the Maryland Exchange - again, and hope the website is up and irking.
I have to call the college about charging me sales tax.
Need to send off my son's pic to get his college id.
Then get ready for a busy week.

Happy and safe travels Spidey.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:57 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Eons ago when I was in the Navy, I worked some weird shifts, plus there were the fire-and-security watches, so sleep could get really messed up, especially when I was still living in the barracks. I remember waking once and asking my roomie the time and she said "6:30." In a panic, I had to ask "AM or PM??" She must have thought I was crazy, but it turns out I'd just been asleep a very short time and I wasn't late for work after all. Still, it was a very weird feeling not knowing if it was morning or evening, and I wasn't even crossing time zones!

FCD and daughter got to Ocala just fine last night. They'll hang out there today, then leave for Gatlinburg tomorrow. I need to find out when they'll get back here.

SIL has work today, so I get Roxy till suppertime. I bought ground beef yesterday and I'll build a couple of meatloaves today. I also got some chickie tits - some will be packed for the freezer and I'll use one for tonight's supper.

The itching of the bee stings seems to be subsiding - I slept most of the night, so huzzah for that!

And Happy Moanday!!
Old 08-12-2019, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 78 Amurrkin out, clear, and hyooooomid as all get out, with a predicted high of 96 and maybe rain/tstorms/apocalypse this afternoon/evenin' or not. TWPTB are willy-nilly on that it seems. Today's plans are to do some cave spiffin', get a haircut (though that could be moved to tomorrow's agenda), pick up a script from the pharmacy that for some reason I get locally rather than delivered via FedEx, and go Vestry meetin' tonight. A few things are needed from Wally*World so that might happen when I go pick up the script since both places are within a mile of each other. This should be enough to keep me outta trouble today. We shall swipe the General's sup this evenin'.

Spidey sometimes my phone gets confused as to where it is. I have noticed that my location, accordin' to my phone, can be anywhere within a ninety mile radius at times. When I tap location, my for real location will show up. Weird. What's fun is when I make a trip to Ye Olde Home Towne, which is located close to the Jawja/Alabammy state line. Phone sometimes gets confused as to whether it is in eastern or central time. OYKW has noticed that when he makes a trip over to his homeplace in the wilds of West Alabammy his phone still says eastern time for a couple of hours after he arrives and then updates. However, he says, when he makes the trip back to Jawja his phone will update as soon as he crosses the state line. Phones be weird.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, onward into the day. Rah.

Happy Moanday Y'all!
Old 08-12-2019, 06:37 AM

Back at work. As expected, less than 25% of the data which should have been delivered for me to load this week has been delivered; I still haven't checked how much of the part that's been delivered is actually loadable.

There's some jobs whose end-users I remember fondly (or most of them); this one won't be one of those. There's been a few people who were nice, and some who busted their asses trying to get everybody else to move, but in general it's the kind of company where the basic behavior is somewhere between "my treassssure" and "NO! *stomp foot*".
Old 08-12-2019, 07:04 AM

Back in the olden days, I had a job that required much travel. One morning I woke up and had no idea where I was. Had to look at the phone book. I was in Minneapolis, which was where I was supposed to be.

Bit of a dickey tummy this morning, so breakfast is toast instead of eggs.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Up, caffrinated, and sheveled. Heading back to Raleigh today.

My phone generally behaves.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:25 AM

Morning all.

Spidey, I solve that problem by not having a cell phone to confuse me. If people want me, they can contact the hotel I'm at or send me an e-mail.

Used to live in Abu Dhabi, which is +9/+10 hours from US Central time, and had a Sun-Thur workweek when I started, so staying in contact with the front office could be an adventure at times.

Hot again today (96F is predicted to be the high) with no rain. Must remember hat for soccer today or my forehead will be glowing in the dark...

Need to do a couple things around the house...maybe.

Nava, read your comments on the Jobs thread in the Pit; hope you get away soon.

Need to make myself look presentable here in a bit. All y'all have a good Moanday.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:05 AM
born to be shunned

First to catch up from last week

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
For what it is worth, I always figured a proper one car garage was made by starting with the plans for a two car garage, and adding about 50% more space in all dimensions.
Our garage actually could have been a "mother-in-law" house; we have the plans. It was 1914 in an area becoming slightly better working class neighbors and several were built around the same time on the same plan between then and 1920. It is also tough because its on an alley with the people in the houses facing that alley having nothing but street parking. Which means basically turning into a too-small parking space from what amounts to a single lane. Trust me -- it ain't easy. But outside of the Sube nothing has been this close to impossible. I got to the point where I could swing in a Hudson basically on the fly and the Saturn SW half asleep. But in the little use we've made of the garage before now I totally broke a folded mirror and the OW damaged one.

If -------- we basically replace one wall (the one with the doors) and everything above the walls, which may be how we go, my plan is one large door basically two car sized. An alley with shelves on each side for the car in the middle and "parking bays" along each wall for the bikes. That would be IDEAL! The question becomes at my age, the age of the Outback, and all that -------- is a $20grand garage something I want? Need -- sure do. But I've lived without it and -------- you know how that goes.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

A couple of months ago I tightened the fan belt on the MGB. 'A five minute job,' they said. It took me like half an hour. See, someone had installed the generator on the bracket incorrectly. I had to remove and reinstall a bolt and nut, which took two hands. My SAE socket set is -inch drive, and there was almost not enough room to accomplish the task. Once I got that sorted, I needed to pull up on the generator and tighten everything up. I held the nut with a wrench in one hand, the bolt with the socket wrench in my other hand, and pulled up the generator with a small crowbar with my other hand. Oh, wait... Fortunately, Mrs. L.A. provided the third hand. I wondered how I would manage when the fan belt breaks, if I'm driving alone.

The last two or three drives, the fan belt sounded like it was getting loose. Yesterday I decided to tighten it again. A couple of weeks ago, I repainted dad's old metric socket set, which he'd bought from (I believe) Western Auto in 1972. Since it has lasted 47 years so far, I looked for a similar SAE set. It arrived Friday. The ⅜-inch drive fits the limited space in the MG's engine bay much better than my Craftsman set. The -inch socket is very worn, but usable. I looked for that difficult nut and bolt on the generator, but couldn't see it from the top. What I did see was the other attachment point for the bracket. It has a fixed bolt in the engine block, and a nut on the other end. Since the bolt is fixed, I only needed one hand on the nut. I used my 'new', 1970s socket wrench for that, and held tension on the generator with the crowbar in my left hand. This time the 'five minute job' only took five minutes.

Anyway, now I am confident that I can change the fan belt without assistance/a third hand when it breaks.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Nava, read your comments on the Jobs thread in the Pit; hope you get away soon.
I'd been so upset at discovering that the agents had dropped the ball (cowards!) that I forgot for a few minutes something I realized a couple of years ago: bad managers have the same reaction as bad SOs, when you say you're leaving. "You can't do that!" I can't? Hold my soda...
Old 08-12-2019, 09:28 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post

Sometimes electronics be weird.
It is 10:07 (am) ------- the heck with your kids; do you know where your liver is?

It isn't as bad as it was but Indiana used to drive my electronics nuts with some places following DST and some not ----- and the way the border was it could get confusing. The one hotel we stayed in near Thorntown there was an hour difference according to our cell phone between the front desk and our room.

Now the real confusion can be Garmin. For whatever reason, no matter what I tell it, if I search for a common street name it defaults to my home location and not where I am. Try finding South Morris Street in Thorntown IN and you get that street. Try searching for Washington Street within 20 miles of Kokomo while you are physically in Kokomo and you have TOLD it you are in Kokomo ------ you get 87 choices in Western Pennsylvania and eastern Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedin View Post
Back in the olden days, I had a job that required much travel. One morning I woke up and had no idea where I was. Had to look at the phone book. I was in Minneapolis, which was where I was supposed to be.
Back when I still had my flyfishing company I did a series of shows in the Pacific Northwest every year; 5 cities in 5 weeks. Set up Wednesday, show Thursday to Monday, move Tuesday, repeat. Washington to Northern Cal. And even in the days off you basically hung out with the same "carnies" in the same bars and repeated from year to year. It got to your brain after 5-8 years or more. I once woke up with NO idea where I was or really what day it was and tried that trick and ------- no phone book. Nothing indicating where I was. So I called the front desk ------ "Excuse me -- just what city is this?" It was Portland. The front desk gave me some strange looks for the rest of that stay.

Last edited by kopek; 08-12-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
First to catch up from last week
Mooommm did you see my comment about Glympse?

I think my phone took a jump to the left & a step to the right as it went back to Thai time again. I guess I should offer it a toast.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:12 AM

It's now 10:00 am CST where I am.

spidey, had your phone not caught up, I would have blamed your sim card. At least once a week, I have to process a manually shipped sim card for international shipment when the subscriber realizes that their regular US of A sim doesn't work internationally.

swampy, traveling this weekend, my phone showed CST about thirty miles into Indiana, which is on EST.

ruble, back before Indiana adopted DST, there were parts of the state that went with whatever city in another state they were close to, like most of Lake County went with Chicago time, the counties across the river from Louisville stayed with that city. Then there were a couple of counties that, by local ordinance (I'm talking to you Knox County) that observed DST. If you were scheduling anything in any of those areas, many times you had to ask how they kept their time.

Lucy....I'm hoooooooome!

The trip went well. I read most, retained some. The family reunion was the usual bowl of granola (what ain't fruits and nuts are flakes) and it was good to see them.

Dad is doing as well as expected for a dude over eighty, but I see him slowing down. Nelson copped an attitude toward Dad's dog Gracie (his actual grandmother, who he's been fine with until now) whenever either of us would pick her up. He got over it when he figured out that that put him in time out. Dogs be weird.

Today, I'm doing some of the usual weekend chores like washing towels and sheets, prepping breakfasts and lunch and grocery shopping.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:47 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by missred View Post
ruble, back before Indiana adopted DST, there were parts of the state that went with whatever city in another state they were close to, like most of Lake County went with Chicago time, the counties across the river from Louisville stayed with that city. Then there were a couple of counties that, by local ordinance (I'm talking to you Knox County) that observed DST. If you were scheduling anything in any of those areas, many times you had to ask how they kept their time.
Even before I was physically there I understood how it all worked. Our first trip our friends were quite specific about where the concert was being an hour different from where they lived and mostly where we would be. But when the time kept changing from one end of the hall to the other on the phone ------ it just (easily) amused me.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:00 PM

Before I stopped working, I used to travel a lot. Different cities every day sometimes, or Asia, or Europe. I started keeping multiple times zones on my calendar, so I could see what time the 1pm ET meeting was in London and Tokyo. I'm not sure I ever lost track of where I was, but times were definitely a problem.

Ruble I think you should do the garage update. You've been there years and will be there years to come. You might as well get it set up right.

Today we have a weather shift. We'll be back in the 100s all week.

The plan is teriyaki pork for dinner. I have some mushrooms and green beans that need to be cooked, so I'll probably make a side dish out of that.

Happy Monday everyone!
Old 08-12-2019, 12:08 PM

Blurf. Irking and putting out fires. Crap is piled up as I knew it would be. Spent the morning doing purchasing for various facilities and the afternoon so far with A/P. Not even gonna put a dent in it. To top it off I have security inspection tomorrow of my key control system. Need to get that binder tidied. Still not 100% well. Blurf

Rosie's Sig
Old 08-12-2019, 12:18 PM

https://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...ps86ufk9aq.jpg

I think photobucket is working now, Ripple in teal, not purple.

Tired today, I think a short nap is needed.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
spidey, had your phone not caught up, I would have blamed your sim card. At least once a week, I have to process a manually shipped sim card for international shipment when the subscriber realizes that their regular US of A sim doesn't work internationally.
I tried to check that before I left.
The problem with doing that though is then my phone has a different number, which no one knows about so they can't call me anyway.
I did get a Thai sim for the weekend; it was data only but I used data to skype to call the important people.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the pic Sari. Ripple's getting to be a big boy.

Yesterday Wifey took me over to central Orygun to see the little house she was interested in. I originally thought that it had possibilities, except that it needed painting and rewiring and the floors were wavy.
She had been told the foundation was 'post and beam'.
I peeked underneath. I couldn't see much except for one corner of the house, but that was pretty horrifying. The 'posts', what I could see of them, were 2x4s or 2x6s standing on end. The beams were pretty much nonexistent. In one area the exterior wall was resting on a 2x6 lying on its side. There was some well-rotted wood here and there that might have been actual posts at one time. The weather in that part of the country is very dry, which many people think means that wood, especially wood in contact with the ground, won't rot. They're wrong. It just takes longer.

I've thought about it overnight and think I could fix it, for about $10,000. I'd need to buy a cement mixer, (just a little one, ~$400) to pour 16, or maybe more, footings, and then actually build a pressure-treated post and beam foundation on top of them, all without jacking up the house. Of course I'd have to tear out all the floors down to the joists (there were joists), to do it, but some of the joists would probably be re-usable.

The other alternative would be to jack the whole house up in the air and pour a foundation under it and set it back down, which would cost more than the house is worth.

Wifey'a ardor has cooled a bit and she said "NO".
As much as I like building things, I think I'm relieved.

It actually made this money pit we live in seem better.

What was the original question again? Oh. Phones. I don't think phones be weird so much as the people who write the programming for them. Those folks be weird.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

The inside of the socket set is painted. I got lazy yesterday, and painted the outside first. Some spray got into the inside and got on the paper label. Oh, well. This isn't a 'collector's item', but something that's going to live in the boot of the MG. In addition to the -inch socket, the 9/16- and 7/16 ones are also showing use. I'll replace all three next time I go to Harbor Freight or the hardware store. Still, for eight bucks I can't complain.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:30 PM

*dipping my toe into the MMP*

It's 4pm Central Time. Where I live you have to drive hours to get out of this timezone. Currently 101 Amurrkin, which is SOP for Texas in August. It's supposed to cool down a little tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbazine View Post

What was the original question again? Oh. Phones. I don't think phones be weird so much as the people who write the programming for them. Those folks be weird.
I write web-based software for private schools. We have to account for what happens when the school is in one time zone, the teacher's in another one, and the student is in a third one. And the assignment is due at what time?

But I do admit to being weird.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:02 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Zyada - just use Zulu time! Oh, unless it changes seasonally. Never mind.

But welcome to our playground!
Old 08-12-2019, 05:32 PM

He is my big boy Bumba, and also my baby boy.
He is being a brat this evening though.

Last week we had a plethora of recycle bins on this side of the street.
Today, somebody stole ours.
It's too late to call the city for a new one, so another flipping phone call I have to make.

I didn't gt around to the Maryland Exchange today, or call the college. I took a 3 hour nap and that killed the afternoon.
Now it's almost time for irk.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Zyada - just use Zulu time! Oh, unless it changes seasonally. Never mind.

But welcome to our playground!
We store times in Zulu... now. Gets converted to the user's time on the fly. Had to have a big project to get that working a year or so after we started the project. I don't know why it wasn't baked into the project from the start (which was before I started here), except that we have a couple of young'uns on the team.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:49 PM

ruble, I like the garage idea.

sari, Ripple has grown to be a handsome dog. I hadn't seen a pic of him since he was a puppy.

Got the weekend chores done, except folding the towels, so tonight will be like most other Monday evenings.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
Then you've come to the right place. Welcome!

Our maters are getting aggressive and our basil plants are huge, so I went to the sto today and bought some squishy mazzorella for caprese salad to go with our BLTs tonight.

You may now envy me.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:04 PM

Sari, I can see why Ripple can play with the bigger dogs...that's an impressive beast you have there.

Zyada, welcome to the MMP; hope you like the company and stick around awhile. As for you Mumper name (everybody gets one). Looked up Zyada and it means "many or too many" in Hindi, and was also a symbol for the number 5 (Chaldean) and number 3 (Pythagorean) (at least according to the on-line sources). But that doesn't suggest anything to me, so I'll let swampy come up with a good name.

Bumba, sounds like you dodged a bad deal, sounds like the wife understands (and will look closer at the next house she falls in love with).

Sari, why would anyone steal a recycling bin?

They cancelled soccer today due to the heat (it was only 95F), but I didn't find out until I had dressed and gone down to the fields. Probably for the best for the littlest kids, but first time I've ever heard them doing something like this.

So grabbed a burger and fries and came home, because, after all, it's hot out there...
Old 08-12-2019, 08:10 PM

Welcome aboard zyada!

bumba, you done flung a cravin' on me. The sweet basil is doing well on the patio, I bought heirloom 'maters today, so's some mozzarella from the grocery tomorrow may be bought.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
We store times in Zulu... now. Gets converted to the user's time on the fly. Had to have a big project to get that working a year or so after we started the project. I don't know why it wasn't baked into the project from the start (which was before I started here), except that we have a couple of young'uns on the team.
Usually the answer to that is "because nobody thought of it". It's amazing the things people do not think of, or take forever to think of. Another equally-amazing thing is how people can imagine a requisite which isn't listed anywhere and get completely stuck against it; just yesterday I had an email conversation with the person who approved my rollout's requests for New Stuff, which went like this:
Her: how are you doing X part? The standard doesn't separate it by factory, only by product.
Me: correct, we're doing it like that. We're doing it by product.
Her: but how do you do it different in different factories?
Me: we don't do it different in different factories. If product A has it, then it has it in every factory. If product B does not have it, it does not have it in any factories.
Her: but then how do you do it every time in the factories that want their products to have it?
Me: those factories have it in their products. Each product is made by a single factory. Factories which want their products to have it put it in their products and then the product has it in any factory. Products made in other factories do not have it, they do not have it in any factory.
Her: so how do you differentiate by factory?
Me: we do not differentiate by factory. We differentiate by product. It's in the specs.

I wanted to send her a 10-gallon pot of industrial-quality coffee but it wouldn't have fit into the USB port.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:09 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
*dipping my toe into the MMP*
Perfectly safe; only Flytrap bites.

And if the MMP as a whole ever starts to make sense to you -------- seek professional help as quickly as possible. And stay away from sharp objects until it arrives. Explosives are fine; it is just those pesky sharp objects that can be a problem.

Quote:
ruble, I like the garage idea.
I haven't ruled it out. I just really really hate this place anymore and the thought of dumping more money down the pit ------ but sometimes we do what we gotta. And with gentrification setting in -------
Old 08-13-2019, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

I gotta dry my hair and get to work. Blurf. Knowing that my job is going to change so soon make me not quite as enthusiastic about getting my butt in gear.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 77 Amurrkin and partly cloudy (partly N.O.S.?) with a predicted high of 98 and mostly N.O.S. for the day. The big item on today's agenda is laundry. Sup shall be hamburger steak 'n onion gravy, green beans, squishes, and rice (cause gravy!). I made a post last night but it got et. It basically dealt with the fact that I defilthyfied da cave, got a haircut, went to Wally*World, picked up my script, and went to the bank. Got back to da cave and way busyin' around when the front doorbell rang. This only happens when a delivery is bein' made or somebody is wantin' to sell me sump'n or convert me. I opened the door and there stood the FedEx guy with my meds that were supposed to be delivered today. Good thing he didn't show up whilst I was out and about. The day concluded with Vestry meetin', which, needless to say since I am here, I survived.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, onward into the day. Rah.

Happy Tuesday Y'all!
Old 08-13-2019, 06:18 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Today had an interesting start. I got to the sitter's, rang the doorbell - nothing. Rang it again - nothing. Took Roxy to work so I could call my daughter and SIL - neither answered. So I told a coworker that I would have to take the baby home, but I'd be back.

Shortly after I left, my phone rang - SIL was calling to say the sitter was waiting - she overslept and didn't hear the doorbell. Luckily, I was really close, so I made a quick turn, dropped off Roxy, and got back to the office. I'll have to work a little later than normal, but at least I didn't have to drive all the way home.

So, how's your day starting??

Happy Tuesday!
Old 08-13-2019, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Up, caffeinated, and sheveled. Last day of vacation, unless I win the lottery, or find a sugar momma at the laundromat today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahirrnee View Post
https://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...ps86ufk9aq.jpg

I think photobucket is working now, Ripple in teal, not purple.
: skritches Ripple : And he would look quite fetching in purple shorts.

Quote:
ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Quote:
It is 10:07 (am) ------- the heck with your kids; do you know where your liver is?
I was at the hockey Convention for a week, it's possible there's some liver left in my cirrhosis.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:24 AM

Morning all. 82F heading for 97F later today so another good day to stay inside. Wonder if they'll cancel soccer practice again due to the heat (or rain--50% chance of showers).

Finally did my filing in the yearly file box--the pile of papers was assuming alarming proportions. The box lid came off as I picked it up so probably need to go get a replacement.

All y'all take care.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbutler View Post
Up, caffeinated, and sheveled. Last day of vacation, unless I win the lottery, or find a sugar momma at the laundromat
The laundromat is an awful place to pick up women; if she can't afford a maid, or at least her own washer/dryer, she can't afford to keep you.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
The laundromat is an awful place to pick up women; if she can't afford a maid, or at least her own washer/dryer, she can't afford to keep you.
But if the maid is there, mavbe she can introduce me.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Feeling a bit whupped today. We spent yesterday giving relatives a tour of Portland and some surrounding attractions like Multnomah Falls and Mt. Hood. Lots of walking downtown, and my feet were bothering me all night so sleep was fitful. Hoping to finish making the bench today that I started two days ago, but it may have to wait another day until I get my mojo back.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:18 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

The A/C is inop in the office - it's sooooo stuffy here! But, ho! I think I feel air moving again. Perhaps I shall survive after all!

Old 08-13-2019, 11:22 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbutler View Post

I was at the hockey Convention for a week, it's possible there's some liver left in my cirrhosis.
Don't get me wrong; I do like watching hockey. Enjoy it a lot. But I could almost become a real fan just for the convention and the regulars. They almost - just almost - match Santarchists in understanding that the liver is evil and should be punished.

Speaking of which -------- I have two ideas I am rolling around for this year. One is Cossack Santa; a slightly violent offshoot of the regular ethnic-type Santas. The other is to pay a sort of homage to the Bananarchists and get a fairly good gorilla suit and put a Santa suit over top of it. One Saturday soon I will need to sit down with a bottle -- I MEAN SOME SERIOUS NOTES AND PLANS and figure out just which. I think I have given up on the Baby Jesus plan; I just never could find someone who could make me some swaddling clothes that would still allow for 12 hours of boozing. And the cost of doing a Composite Santa ---- way beyond my means.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:22 AM

I aced my key inspection. One less thing...blurf.

Still plenty to do though.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

This morning I wrote a message to my representative, Susan DelBene (D-WA), informing her of the murder-suicide in Ferndale that was brought on by medical expenses. I asked that she pursue legislation to make healthcare in the U.S. a not-for-profit industry, and to push for universal, single-payer coverage.

Not bad for only having 40 ounces of coffee by 0900.

Last edited by Johnny L.A.; 08-13-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:36 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I was mistaken - the A/C is still dead and the air that's being moved around by the fan is just as stuffy. Not amused.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:21 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
This morning I wrote a message to my representative, Susan DelBene (D-WA), informing her of the murder-suicide in Ferndale that was brought on by medical expenses. I asked that she pursue legislation to make healthcare in the U.S. a not-for-profit industry, and to push for universal, single-payer coverage.

Not bad for only having 40 ounces of coffee by 0900.

Because of my cardiologist I have to do things like that without coffee.

I hope we all can get somewhere on these expenses/costs. I'm just not sure how. A former neighbor worked for BCBS and the money they literally wasted on purpose to keep their profits down ------- and the same kind of abuses in other C organizations I've been with. It is going to be a long struggle probably well past my death.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:27 PM

Happy Toosday!

It's a cloudy and rainy 75 degrees outside.
Not so rainy that nobody showed up at the park.
Ripple had a great time, which is all that matters.

I got my new towels and shower curtain from da jungle, I like the quality of the towels, not so much the color. I like the color of the shower curtain.
However, the towels will do, certainly better than what I already have.

MetalMouse, I have no idea why somebody will steal my recycle bin, or my neighbor's too. Assholes I guess, and there are so many of them. I called the city about getting another one, and the lady wanted me to wait until Moonday and call back if it isn't returned. I said my trash goes out on Sunday, so she agreed to put the order in now. If I don't get it in time then everything will go out as regular trash because I am not keeping trash around here.
Thank you and Red for the Ripple compliments. I think he is handsome, and impressive, but I'm his mom, so I have to think so.
He says thank you for the scritches Doggio

I saw that the shingles the neighbor got for my shed are gone. I don't know if he brought them in or somebody stole them too. He left them laying out back. I'll have to try to catch up with him later.

In other good news, my son wants to go back to the Mexican restaurant.
Baby steps.
It isn't likely to be this week since irk is supposed to be busy.
It isn't so far.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! I laundered and put clean stuff where it stays until dirtied up again. I even ahrned some shirts! 'Tis 96 Amurrkin out, so glad to be inside in the a/c. Next up is the makeage of sup.

MOOOOOOM yikes! Hope the a/c is fixed soonest.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
bumba, you done flung a cravin' on me. The sweet basil is doing well on the patio, I bought heirloom 'maters today, so's some mozzarella from the grocery tomorrow may be bought.
Wifey says to be sure to get the squishy kind. Personally I'd be happy with either kind, but I ain't the boss around here.

Quote:
Speaking of which -------- I have two ideas I am rolling around for this year. One is Cossack Santa; a slightly violent offshoot of the regular ethnic-type Santas. The other is to pay a sort of homage to the Bananarchists and get a fairly good gorilla suit and put a Santa suit over top of it.
Seems to me a Santa suit over top of a gorilla suit would be flippin hot. That may or may not be a problem for you considering where you live, but I wouldn't like it.

Wifey is conflicted. A little house that we both liked a lot just came back on the market, but we've committed a big chunk of money to getting a new roof put on our house here in the valley. I could raid my IRA, but there isn't that much left in there. On the other hand, the stock market could tank again, which is why there isn't that much in there.

I think we need a pizza tonight.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post

Zyada, welcome to the MMP; hope you like the company and stick around awhile. As for you Mumper name (everybody gets one). Looked up Zyada and it means "many or too many" in Hindi, and was also a symbol for the number 5 (Chaldean) and number 3 (Pythagorean) (at least according to the on-line sources). But that doesn't suggest anything to me, so I'll let swampy come up with a good name.
It was my stage name when I was a belly dancer. I chose the word (from a Hindi-English dictionary) because I wanted people to see me dance and say "Wow, she's too much!"
Old 08-13-2019, 02:47 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbazine View Post
Seems to me a Santa suit over top of a gorilla suit would be flippin hot.
That is why he's doing it in Winter.