Old 08-12-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Did my cheap little phone get hacked or what?

I have an LG 441G cell phone. (Yes I have a flip phone. Get over yourself. I donít know why everyone has a conniption over what kind of phone I have. I can call the past on this thing!)

Anyway, Iíve had it for a couple of years now.

This morning I awoke to several voice mails, texts, and emails asking me ďWhat the fuck, Pete?Ē

It seems all night and morning my phone has been continuously calling the numbers on my speed dial list. My wife, my brothers, my sister, my friends, and the dispatcher at the police department I work at!

When they answer the call all they hear is an echo of their voice.

The phone has been sitting on my night stand, flipped closed, all night. I actually saw it light up and call one of the numbers by itself, even thought the phone was flipped closed and shouldnít have been able to make a call with the key pad covered.

Has my phone gone nuts, has it been hacked, or has the system been hacked? Can a cheap assed flip phone even be hacked?

The service is Straight Talk. WTF is going on? I have removed the battery until I figure this out.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:50 PM

I would guess that a weird hardware failure is much more likely than a hacking--that phone has some proprietary LG OS that is unlikely to have anyone hacking it. Use this as an opportunity to get a new phone now instead of 4 months from now. What's that, you don't want a new phone? Your phone is 3G. Straight Talk uses Verizon's system. Verizon is shutting down their 3G network at the end of 2019. You're getting a new phone.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I would guess that a weird hardware failure is much more likely than a hacking--that phone has some proprietary LG OS that is unlikely to have anyone hacking it. Use this as an opportunity to get a new phone now instead of 4 months from now. What's that, you don't want a new phone? Your phone is 3G. Straight Talk uses Verizon's system. Verizon is shutting down their 3G network at the end of 2019. You're getting a new phone.
Actually, Straight Talk uses all four major carriers, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile. Well, three I guess now, with the Sprint-T-mobile merger.

https://bizfluent.com/info-12202248-...-talk-use.html

I know when I've had Straight Talk in the past, I've used AT&T on both iOS and Android devices.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I would guess that a weird hardware failure is much more likely than a hacking--that phone has some proprietary LG OS that is unlikely to have anyone hacking it. Use this as an opportunity to get a new phone now instead of 4 months from now.
Yeah, this. This isn’t even exclusive to old phones, I’ve run into this supporting newer smart phones as well.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...aling.1982081/

https://androidforums.com/threads/ph...-calls.135969/

If you had a smart phone I’d recommend an update and/or wipe to see if it might resolve a software issue. With a more basic phone there’s probably not much more you can do than replace it.

Last edited by Atamasama; 08-12-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:26 PM

Sounds like more of a malfunction than a hacking.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, it usually connects to A.T.&T.

And your link is crazy. Nobody would pay that much. These phones are $29 at Walmart.

So Iím guessing the phone itself is funked up.

Is there any way to transfer my contact list from it to a new phone? Dong it manually could take forever!
Old 08-12-2019, 02:45 PM

LG has software called LG Suite, I believe you can remotely manage phone info from it, including backing up and transferring contact info:
https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-l...20150108669720

There is an LG Bridge program for newer phones but I’m guessing your flip phone needs the older one. Here it is in case:
https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-l...-1438110404543
Old 08-13-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
(...)

Is there any way to transfer my contact list from it to a new phone? Dong it manually could take forever!

Back in the day you could copy your contacts onto the SIM-card. Does that work on your phone?
Old 08-13-2019, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
LG has software called LG Suite, I believe you can remotely manage phone info from it, including backing up and transferring contact info:
https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-l...20150108669720
Download doesn't open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
Back in the day you could copy your contacts onto the SIM-card. Does that work on your phone?
Phone doesn't have a sim card.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Phone doesn't have a sim card.
It has to have one, or else you couldn't make calls. I guess you're confusing it with an sd card. And yes, it's possible to save contacts on the sim card and so transfer them with your card to a new phone.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 08-13-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
It has to have one, or else you couldn't make calls. I guess you're confusing it with an sd card. And yes, it's possible to save contacts on the sim card and so transfer them with your card to a new phone.
A. No, a cell phone doesn't have to have one. Verizon (CDMA) in particular was notorious for selling ones without them. They were prodded into agreeing to put them in future phones by the FCC due to 4G spectrum upgrades. Now the FCC is undoing that. And they weren't the only ones.

B. The cell phone in the OP does have one.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Díoh! Youíre right. I was thinking SD card, which it indeed doesnít have.

I have to get a new phone, pronto. This one is now calling every number in my contact list, and the ear piece is going in and out. Sometimes when I make callers I canít hear the person on the other end.
Itís like it is possessed! It just dialed the number to someone I havenít called in over a year because they are dead!
Old 08-13-2019, 04:11 PM

If they answer, you have worse phone problems than we suspected.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If they answer, you have worse phone problems than we suspected.
Unless it was my friend himself who possessed the phone. He had the most brilliant sense of humor and the biggest, friendliest smile of any grown man you ever met. And he hated how everyone was always on their cell phones. If he could Iím sure he would prank me this way!
Old 08-13-2019, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dong it manually could take forever!
It's faster if you use your fingers.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
A. No, a cell phone doesn't have to have one. Verizon (CDMA) in particular was notorious for selling ones without them. They were prodded into agreeing to put them in future phones by the FCC due to 4G spectrum upgrades. Now the FCC is undoing that. And they weren't the only ones.

B. The cell phone in the OP does have one.

I know US cel-phones work differently. I have no idea how. Is there any way for me to use your phone on my own contract?
Old 08-14-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
I know US cel-phones work differently. I have no idea how. Is there any way for me to use your phone on my own contract?
Sure, if you switch out the phone's SIM card with yours. Some phones even have slots for dual SIMs.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Sure, if you switch out the phone's SIM card with yours. Some phones even have slots for dual SIMs.
That is, if the phone is unlocked, of course, and the SIMs are compatible. In the U.S., most unlocked phones work on both AT&T and T-Mobile, which are GSM carriers.

Last edited by cochrane; 08-14-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
I have a CDMA phone. I've had people get very irritated when I say "my phone doesn't a SIM card." They act as if I've told them that my car doesn't have wheels.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
I have a CDMA phone. I've had people get very irritated when I say "my phone doesn't a SIM card." They act as if I've told them that my car doesn't have wheels.
http://www.fubiz.net/en/2015/10/15/e...ithout-wheels/

Maybe eventually.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
You mean "my car doesn't wheels"?