Old 09-21-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
I remember barrel jumping on WWS. Wonder if they still do that anywhere?
I remember that on WWS too, including some other silly sports. Wondering the same thing, I found this on Wikipedia:
Quote:
The Canadian Barrel Jumping Federation went to the 1992 Winter Olympics to make a presentation on introducing the sport into Olympic competition but Olympic officials were so afraid of injuries from the sport, they even canceled the live demonstration. Tor Aune, a member of the Organizing Committee said ďIt appeared to be a brutal sort of sport. Everybody seems to fall on their backside.Ē
Old 09-21-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Hey now. I would rather watch poker than darts, which are also televised. I know dart throwing is a skill but calling morbidly obese men throwing darts at a board for hours on end a "sport" is stretching it.
Darts, along with other sports like snooker and golf that require quite fine motor skills, is really good at delivering excitement and suspense. Nowhere will you see a clearer demonstration of pressure on a professional athlete than on the oche. Aeschylus himself could not have penned a greater drama than van Barneveld versus Phil the Power Taylor 2007 PDC world champs. Emotional rollercoaster doesn't begin to describe it.

All sports have pressure, of course, but it's not usually manifested in such a naked, unmistakable way. You can visibly see darts players crumble before your eyes.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:18 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Probably bowling. Iíve done league and tournament bowling on-and-off for almost 30 years so itís not like I have anything against it but it sure ainít a spectator sport.
Interesting. I get that most people feel this way, but I wouldn't have expected a bowler to feel this way. I watch bowling pretty religiously, including being subscribed to FloBowling and to the BowlTV channel on YouTube. I've also attended professional tournaments in person to watch the pros go at it. To each his own, I suppose.

Also agree that curling is way, WAY harder than it looks on TV. My wife and I took an introductory lesson at an open house a few years ago. Holy crap. Even before you get to the skill required to be as incredibly accurate as curlers are, I still marvel at how they make the process of gliding and setting down a stone look so easy and graceful. In the hands of an amateur, it is far from either.

Also, ow.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:43 PM

Ooooh, I just thought of a good one. I doubt it would actually be considered a sport as much as a "pasttime" but the relatively recent phenomenon of people getting online and watching other people play video games. Nothing in my entire adult life has made me want to scream "Get off my lawn!" more than this curious wrinkle in recreational activities. It's the "sport" of Video Game Fandom.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:43 PM

The dumbest televised sports event I can remember seeing (while flipping channels) was celebrity softball.

For all-time most inane broadcast sporting event, there was the high school golf match featured by a radio station I once worked for. They actually got some local businesses to buy ads for that one.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Ooooh, I just thought of a good one. I doubt it would actually be considered a sport as much as a "pasttime" but the relatively recent phenomenon of people getting online and watching other people play video games. Nothing in my entire adult life has made me want to scream "Get off my lawn!" more than this curious wrinkle in recreational activities. It's the "sport" of Video Game Fandom.
I'll admit I've watched other people play video games on YouTube, and I'll tell you why: I'm interested in some aspect of the game, but not enough that I want to actually play it myself. I get to experience the game, but for free and with zero effort on my part. Or if I tire of actually playing a game and just want to see the ending without having to spend hours trying to beat that last, totally unfair final boss.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Hey now. I would rather watch poker than darts, which are also televised. I know dart throwing is a skill but calling morbidly obese men throwing darts at a board for hours on end a "sport" is stretching it.
So by taking issue with my inclusion of poker in this thread, does that mean that you do consider poker to be a legitimate sport? I would argue there's more physicality and skill involved with being a good dart player. Morbidly obese men throwing darts at a board is more "athletic" than morbidly obese men making "Marlboro Man" faces at each other.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:05 PM

Cow Chip Tossing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWGqhIbXh-I

[mike drop]
Old 09-21-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I'll admit I've watched other people play video games on YouTube, and I'll tell you why: I'm interested in some aspect of the game, but not enough that I want to actually play it myself. I get to experience the game, but for free and with zero effort on my part. Or if I tire of actually playing a game and just want to see the ending without having to spend hours trying to beat that last, totally unfair final boss.
Fascinating. How much more involved would it actually be to play the game than to get online and find the right game and player to watch on youtube? I mean, wouldn't the "experience" of the game depend highly on the abilities of the specific person playing it? Do you have to search for good players? Or is it self-selected and if you're broadcasting yourself, it means you're pretty good?
Old 09-21-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
IOr if I tire of actually playing a game and just want to see the ending without having to spend hours trying to beat that last, totally unfair final boss.
Now this I just don't get. What satisfaction or enjoyment comes from seeing the ending of a game in which you took no part in winning? I'm trying to relate to this by thinking of the video games I used to play. And that might be part of my problem right there. Is it due to the modern state of the art graphics and visual beauty of video games that draws your interest? Because the only reason I was ever keen on getting to the ending of Galaga was to see if I could do it. I wouldn't have given a rat's ass if some other person did. There was no aesthetic appeal to the game (obviously). (And truthfully, Galaga was always a "retro" video game for me but it was my fav. Still is. And I still have never conquered it).
Old 09-21-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian View Post
Also agree that curling is way, WAY harder than it looks on TV. My wife and I took an introductory lesson at an open house a few years ago. Holy crap. Even before you get to the skill required to be as incredibly accurate as curlers are, I still marvel at how they make the process of gliding and setting down a stone look so easy and graceful. In the hands of an amateur, it is far from either.

Also, ow.
That day my family went for a day of curling, while on our vacation, was very educational. It is very very hard! My son (aged 32) is a professional dancer and he did the best out of all of us. His strength and balance helped significantly.

It was very fun, too.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Do you have to search for good players? Or is it self-selected and if you're broadcasting yourself, it means you're pretty good?
I have a few go-to channels from people who play the types of games that interest me, and they have interesting and/or entertaining (or just not obnoxious) commentary as they play.

Example: I like stealth games. There is a YouTuber called Centerstrain01 who also really likes stealth games. Like most full-time YouTube gamers he plays through whatever the latest AAA games are (and gets advance free copies from publishers before the games are released to the hoi-polloi as part of their marketing), but he "specializes" in the stealth genre. I enjoy the Assassin's Creed games, but I don't have the money or time to invest in all of them; there are 21 AC games, and they've released at least one new one, usually several, every year since 2007. I just can't keep up with that. So I buy and play what I deem the best ones, and I watch that guy play the rest of them on YouTube.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Now this I just don't get. What satisfaction or enjoyment comes from seeing the ending of a game in which you took no part in winning?
Because modern games are very much like interactive movies. The story matters, arguably just as much as the actual gameplay. When I watch a movie I periodically ask myself whether I care about what happens to these people. If the answer is ever "no," I turn it off. Not quite exactly the same thing with modern cinematic games, but it's close.

An old-school game like Galaga, that is very different and no I would not watch someone else play that, unless I was waiting my turn to play. There may or may not be a story attached to Galaga, but even if there is, who cares?
Old 09-21-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
All of them.
Some day I wish to see televised the genteel sport of Ape Croquet.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1505 View Post
Darts.
Worse. I've seen electronic darts on something like Eurosport back in the day. Why the hell is there an electronic subcategory to begin with? (I'll confess, though, I do somewhat find regular darts mesmerizing to watch. That folks have the fine motor skills to nail triple-20s one after another is beyond me. I'm happy if I hit a single of the number I'm aiming for. Heck, who am I kidding, I'm happy if I get the dart in the section of the board I'm aiming for.)
Old 09-21-2018, 01:53 PM

I swear to God, I saw Electric Belt Sander Racing on the TV once. Apparently, its what keeps Canadians occupied during the long, cold and dark winter.

Quote:
Baseball. 90% of the game is literally guys just standing around.
And the other 10% is even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1505 View Post
Darts.
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I'll confess, though, I do somewhat find regular darts mesmerizing to watch. That folks have the fine motor skills to nail triple-20s one after another is beyond me.
This is an attitude I can appreciate. I used to be one of those folks. Haven't played much lately. Should get out there....
Old 09-21-2018, 02:01 PM

I'll meet you at a bar for that. I'm not very good, but after having tried it a few times I can appreciate the accuracy of a good dart thrower (not even sure if that's the right lingo).

Besides, there's always a good beer nearby. What's not to like?
Old 09-21-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
how about filling an arena to watch people play video games?

which- If I try to think about it completely objectively- isn't that much different than filling an arena or theater to watch football or a movie. But it still provokes a "get off my lawn!" response with me.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I swear to God, I saw Electric Belt Sander Racing on the TV once. Apparently, its what keeps Canadians occupied during the long, cold and dark winter.
Boom (with rider)! and without!
Old 09-21-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Because modern games are very much like interactive movies. The story matters, arguably just as much as the actual gameplay. When I watch a movie I periodically ask myself whether I care about what happens to these people. If the answer is ever "no," I turn it off. Not quite exactly the same thing with modern cinematic games, but it's close.

An old-school game like Galaga, that is very different and no I would not watch someone else play that, unless I was waiting my turn to play. There may or may not be a story attached to Galaga, but even if there is, who cares?
Yeah this is what I suspected. I have been out of the video-game universe for a couple decades now and the advances in all things technological would, I assume make for some pretty awesome "video games". I use scare quotes because I doubt they even have much similarity to what I understand video games to be (does anyone remember NeoGeo? That was the shit of the future way back in the past lol).
Old 09-21-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
how about filling an arena to watch people play video games?

which- If I try to think about it completely objectively- isn't that much different than filling an arena or theater to watch football or a movie. But it still provokes a "get off my lawn!" response with me.
Wow. Excuse me, I have some mushy oatmeal to chew on followed by some light lawn maintenance. Then it'll be approaching 4.p.m.! Bed time!
Old 09-21-2018, 02:44 PM

Rock, paper, scissors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=_eanWnL3FtM

We're done.

But I was kind of hoping for 43 man Squamish.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:08 PM

I remember watching minigolf - actually, the official name was Putt Putt - back in my college days (late 70s-early 80s). Putt Putt was a discrete beast - no statues and windmills. While the event was goofy, these guys sure could stroke the felt! The were AMAZING!

Re: darts, I remember one time it provided entertainment as a spectator sport. Our law school had a dart league at a local bar. In case you didn't know, many/most lawyers tend not to be awesome at math. I remember the locals would sit in the back of the room room and openly mock us as we tried to count down from 301, or multiply 16...

The watching of others playing video games is lost on me as well - but I'm shocked when I hear of the HUGE $$$ involved.

One thing I caught in the TV 1x in the gym locker room was competitive drone racing. While I wouldn't watch it for any prolonged period, it was pretty amazing.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:27 PM

My vote? Assuming Quidditch has never been shown on TV (if it has, that's my choice), I would say, cutting - that's where someone on a horse has to separate a calf from a pack and keep it from rejoining the pack; on top of that, it's a "judged" sport (i.e. it's based on "how well" the horse did, and not necessarily how long the horse kept the calf cut from the pack).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
A lot of folks who don’t know any better might say racewalking.

I do know better; it is racewalking.
But...but...they've improved it! Now with a "sin bin"! (IIRC, once you get your third penalty for not having at least one foot on the ground, instead of being disqualified, you have to stand in a designated "penalty area" for a period of time, similar to the one used in triathlons for getting on the bike too early).

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
The one where they chase a round of cheese down a steep slope, which renders unscheduled broken bones to the participants (England?).
Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
1. Quidditch
There can be no other answer.

It's a fictional sport made up by someone who doesn't understand sports, designed to make her character a hero, turned into a "real" sport by making people run around with brooms between their legs.
And yet, a place of intellectual prowess such as Oxford University has an intramural Quidditch league.

Personally, I think Quidditch as described wouldn't be too bad of a sport - but running around on brooms with a human as the Snitch is not a sport.

Quote:
High school football.
Depends on which teams are playing. De La Salle vs. Mater Dei was a decent game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xema View Post
Probably the only sport with a rule limiting the maximum size of the bikini a competitor must wear.
Actually, NCAA beach volleyball requires that the top reach all the way down to the shorts; bikini tops are not allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgato View Post
Back in the 1960s and 1970s in the US, "Wide World of Sports" would show weird sports from across the world. The weirdest from my memory was barrel jumping. It was done on ice, the competitor would pick up speed and try to jump a bunch of barrels. Weirdly silly.
What's wrong with barrel jumping? Next, you'll be telling me that jumping over cars (or buses, or fountains, or rivers) on a motorcycle isn't a sport.

Last edited by That Don Guy; 09-21-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:08 PM

I've looked up other people playing video games when I've got stuck (all the time). I'd watch people playing a game if I had nothing better to do. It's like anything else you watch, the people you watch have skills that you don't and you can appreciate those skills. When you can't get past a spot because you keep getting killed and you give up, watching somebody blitz it can be quite impressive and, as mentioned, you would also get to find out how the story turned out. I wouldn't call it a sport, though.

They have boat races in the desert. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henley-on-Todd_Regatta They also have camel racing up there. When you live in the "middle of nowhere" you invent stuff to do.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgato View Post
Back in the 1960s and 1970s in the US, "Wide World of Sports" would show weird sports from across the world. The weirdest from my memory was barrel jumping. It was done on ice, the competitor would pick up speed and try to jump a bunch of barrels. Weirdly silly.
That they featured Evel Knievel's jumps live was part of how he became so famous, and were big ratings draws.

ESPN has aired the National Spelling Bee for about 20 years; it made it to network TV for a few years but now it's back to ESPN only. (And yes, I do watch it!)

I was just being silly when I mentioned curling. It's the sport everyone likes to joke about, I guess.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:

During ESPN's "Ocho" event, they had a short documentary on barrel jumping--apparently there is only one person left who does it, obviously as a demonstration/stunt since you can't have competitions.

Really kind of strange to think of being someone who, when he dies, his sport literally dies with him.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Well, "stupid" is in the eye of the beholder. For me, however, "synchronized swimming" is about as interesting as watching paint dry.
I personally love it, as long as it's the groups of 8 or thereabouts. Smaller groups are not that interesting to watch.

Ever heard of synchronized ice skating? I had wondered how they did that, until I saw some. I find it far more interesting than single or pairs skating.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ed+ice+skating
Old 09-21-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
One of my Facebook friends recently caught her 4-year-old son watching a You Tube video of someone watching You Tube. I suppose there are worse things he could have been doing! Anyway, she steered him over to the educational video she really wanted him to look at.

p.s. I guess it's nothing new. One of the early "American's Funniest Home Videos" winner, or at least a finalist, was a family who had videotaped themselves watching TV. What got it on the show was that their cat was walking on a shelf that had a lighted candle on it; the candle lit the tip of the cat's tail on fire, and the cat didn't seem to realize this and put it out with the next wag of its tail.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 09-21-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:35 PM

When I was a kid I played World Games on the NES.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Games_(video_game)

It included barrel jumping. I think I always assumed that was a normal winter sport and not uncommon at The Olympics, Winter Games, etc.

It’s funny now to think about how insanely dangerous it is, like being a daredevil on ice skates, and practically nobody actually does it. But in the back of my mind it was filed away along with speed skating and figure skating as just another thing people do competitively on ice.

Stupid video games warping my view of the world.

Last edited by Atamasama; 09-21-2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Fix URL
Old 09-21-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
It's the sport everyone likes to joke about, I guess.
It's the trousers, and the yelling. I quite like watching it on the olympics if I catch it. The players are so skilled.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
One of my Facebook friends recently caught her 4-year-old son watching a You Tube video of someone watching You Tube.
She should put her 4 year old on Youtube! A Youtube of a person watching a Youtube of another person watching a Youtube. I'd watch!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
She should put her 4 year old on Youtube! A Youtube of a person watching a Youtube of another person watching a Youtube. I'd watch!
That would be like John Malkovich entering the mind of John Malkovich.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:17 AM

The Indoor League included shove ha'penny, and had Fred Truman hosting the show with a pint.

Last edited by Teuton; 09-22-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:44 AM

back when no serious pro league would have anything to do with espn they used to show things like "the world lumber jack games " pool and bowling were on a lot

ski jumping on wide world of sports ….basically these guys skied down a bob sled ramp and jumped ….. every one got injured in some way and abc had the judges call it all a tie

the funniest was watching Minnesota fats job to willie mosconi when fats was supposed to the best ever ……

Funny thing about people watching lets play aka video gaming videos …. the number one you tuber is a guy that plays video games called Dantdm…. hes funny and dosent really play them better ot worse than anyone on the street …..hes just funny most of the time …. usually unintentionally
Old 09-22-2018, 09:33 AM

I was gonna say rock paper scissors...

So instead I'll mention World Sauna Championships!
Old 09-22-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

Depends on which teams are playing. De La Salle vs. Mater Dei was a decent game.
Did you see #3 in the nation Mater Dei (CA) vs. #1 ranked IMG Academy (FL) last night? That was a great High School contest. Mater Dei 28-24 over IMG breaking their 41 game win streak.

Last edited by Mangosteen; 09-22-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumpudding View Post
I was gonna say rock paper scissors...

So instead I'll mention World Sauna Championships!
And that page links to Wikipediaís page of List of unusual deaths.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Battle of the Network Stars Celebrity Dunk Tank

SPOILER:
It wasn't really about the athletics.
That is one of the greatest sporting events I have ever seen.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I remember a Dave Barry column about that. He also did one about people who lifted weights with their body piercings; use your imagination about that.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:26 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Poker. W-T-F.
Seconded.

I'll add Dwarf Tossing which IIRC was big in the late 70s and early 80s on Wide World or one of the like shows. I believe it sprang out of the "toughest bouncer" contests; was one of the "challenges" of that almost equally stupid sport. I believe Mr T was discovered when he was a participant in one of those sports.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan View Post
Cow Chip Tossing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWGqhIbXh-I

[mike drop]
Or watermelon seed spitting? Yeah, Mike Rowe did that.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:54 PM

Let's see, either golf or curling.

Waiting for the Canucks in 5, 4, 3, 2....
Old 09-22-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I think there are two contenders.

First, back in about 1994 or so, I watched about 15 minutes of figure-eight auto racing on ESPN2 in the wee hours of the morning after a night out in college. Just dumb; the whole point was watching to see if they'd collide as the leaders started to intersect the drivers at the end.

The second was at a similar time on the same channel at about the same time- it was swamp buggy racing. More inexplicable, less pointlessly dangerous.
Quote:
When I used to be into classic cars, we did an outing where they featured figure-8 BUS races!

Yeah - alcohol was involved by the spectators - as well as, I imagine - the participants!

Two of my nieces are on the US national underwater hockey team. Recently competed in the world championships in Quebec. Gotta be one of the stupidest activities I've ever heard of. I've seen it on-line, but can't imagine it has ever been more widely televised.

These young women are INCREDIBLY fit. Not taking anything away from them in that respect. But MAN, is their chosen avocation silly.

I currently live within 100 miles of TWO facilities with figure 8 tracks. One of them does BUSSES and vehicles towing TRAILERS (separately)

I may be going next month, but I don't think figure8 is on the menu that night. Just some sportsman and a few lower classes, but we'll see.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Have they ever televised the Shrove Tuesday pancake races between Liberal KS and Olney England? Because that would get my vote.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Battle of the Network Stars Celebrity Dunk Tank

SPOILER:
It wasn't really about the athletics.
If you post that, I have to add the "Network Battle Of The T's and A's" (potentially NSFW, even though it's an old SNL spoof).
Old 09-23-2018, 12:12 PM

Campeonato mundial de lanzamiento de rabiosa (world's hoe throw championship). It's a joke, but it's a joke that worked well enough it gets repeated every year. "What's the stupidest thing we can make a world championship of?"

Last edited by Nava; 09-23-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

no, not really. it's high school football. IMO the only reason it gets televised at all is for the parents, so they can DVR it and try to guilt their friends into watching their kid on TV so they can feel special.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
ESPN has aired the National Spelling Bee for about 20 years; it made it to network TV for a few years but now it's back to ESPN only. (And yes, I do watch it!)
I recall that during the last NHL strike (2004?), we got a lot of spelling bees on Canadian sports channels. Likely because those channels had bought so many hockey games prior to the season, that they had nothing to show during the strike, so the channels were looking for anything to fill the time. Anyway, I also recall darts, snooker, and lumberjack competitions during that time; but it's the spelling bees that stand out. They showed how desperate Canadian sports channels were for content during a time of no hockey.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
no, not really. it's high school football. IMO the only reason it gets televised at all is for the parents, so they can DVR it and try to guilt their friends into watching their kid on TV so they can feel special.
Nah, I enjoy watching the games sometimes, and I have no kids in high school. I usually root for my alma mater or another Catholic League Conference team. Remember, the world record for most attended sporting event was at one time the 1937 Prep Bowl in Soldier Field, with an estimated crowd of 120,000. Clearly, high school sports doesn't have quite the following it did back then, but it's still reasonably followed, at least in my neighborhood in Chicago. Definitely not just for the parents.