Old 09-08-2018, 09:08 PM

Bad parts in great games.

Even the best games ever made have THAT part, whether it's a level, a boss, puzzle, whatever, that are so annoying and frustrating that it brings the rest of the game down.

For me, it's the Anor Londo Silver Knights in Dark Souls 1. If you try to block the arrows, you'll get knocked back, usually falling off the ledge and to your death. You just have to get lucky and make the Knight on the right fall off the ledge.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:44 PM

The air-boat in Half-Life 2. (I know, I know, how can an air-boat be selfish?)
Arkham Asylum, that stupid side scroll with Scarecrow and the sewer with Killer Croc.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Breath of the Wild is easily number 1 on my "greatest games of all time" list.

But following that Korok who turns around and looks at you is just a really bad section.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:57 AM

I loved Dragon Age: Origins. Have played through it like four or five times now.

If there wasn't a PC mod to skip the Fade section, I don't know if I would have played it twice. What a tedious mess.

While not as well regarded as Origins, Dragon Age: Inquisition was a fun game marred by the stupid Junior Prom Royal Whodunit Mystery segment.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:15 AM

Tidus and Yuna in Final Fantasy X.

"HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!"

Also, I was annoyed how you could flirt with any of the three women in Guadosalam, but you were stuck being shipped with Yuna. I would have preferred Rikku, damn it.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:15 PM

The final boss fight in Bioshock was, by some way, the worst part of an otherwise good game.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Metroid: Prime is a great game marred by relying on save points that can be very far apart at certain points in the game.

It had zero auto-save. If you died, you went back to your actual save. I went about 40 minutes one time(even using a guide to make sure I did not miss a save). I made it....but eventually quit. I'm not really a FPS person and I thought that game was supposed to be more action-adventure than shooter.

:shrugs:
Old 09-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Myth II: Soulblighter was an all-around great game, with lots of great features, and it looked beautiful as well. But the level in the Firbolg Forest pits you against enemies of a sort not seen elsewhere in the game before or after, against whom most of your standard tactics are useless or very nearly so, and you have very few choices of how to deal with them.

The old Windows game Chip's Challenge was a nice little casual game, mostly thinky but with some quick-fingering mixed in. Except for one level called The Jumping Swarm, full of an ever-increasing number of semi-random enemies that you had to dodge long enough to finish the level, quickly, before they overwhelmed you. Even with the best planning and strategies, it was still mostly just down to luck whether you survived, and the odds were against you.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:46 PM

The ridiculous 'Present Day' plot envelope in the Assassins Creed games. 2 and 4 are definitively great games, the others maybe not so much.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
While not as well regarded as Origins, Dragon Age: Inquisition was a fun game marred by the stupid Junior Prom Royal Whodunit Mystery segment.
I had to look up whether this was a DLC that came with my game and I forgot about it or something like that because it was so weird. I also spent forever roaming through those rooms and never found half the shit I was supposed to.

My contribution is related: The damn mining in Mass Effect 2. God that was such a tedious time-wasting pile of BS. At least the annoying exploring in 1 and the hide-and-seek game in 3 kinda sorta had points
Old 09-09-2018, 08:56 PM

Mandatory stealth sections in any game, be it Witcher 2 or Ni No Kuni 2 or whatever. If the game isn't a stealth game, don't add a stupid section with incredibly powerful enemies (or instant game over). Another way to piss me off is to include some sort of platforming in a non-platforming game. At least Borderlands 2's Tiny Tina DLC made it so if you failed a few times, it removed the platforming bit completely.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:58 AM

Unlike a lot of people I actually liked the Fade segment in DA:O. Another example of a "bad part in a good game" that I didn't mind but a lot of people hated would be the sewer section in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Anyway, dodging lightning in the Thunder Plains in Final Fantasy X was both tedious and frustrating, especially since you needed to do it 200 times in a row without making a mistake to get Lulu's ultimate weapon.

Which is why I never actually got her ultimate weapon.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
For me, it's the Anor Londo Silver Knights in Dark Souls 1. If you try to block the arrows, you'll get knocked back, usually falling off the ledge and to your death. You just have to get lucky and make the Knight on the right fall off the ledge.

Nah. Any bow + a stock of poison arrows negates those two jerks. You just have to find a spot where your arrows go through the grating while theirs get stuck ; then pepper them with your dinky shots until the poison buildup triggers. Then wait (might as well get to work on the other one). IIRC you need 2.5 poison applications to kill them.

Or you can just run up the buttress and roll through the arrows. But I prefer the slow and sure method.

--

On topic :

Seconding the Fade in DA:O.

Also most sewer sections are shit, but none so much than the one in Vampire:Bloodlines. In a game that heavily emphasizes social interactions and/or stealthing past most stuff as a viable path ; a mandatory and very long all-combat section, without much in the way of blood or ammunition refills (sucks to be you, Tremeres and gun guys, you shoulda rolled a bricker Gangrel !) topped by a brutal if uninteresting boss fight is just... ugh.

The Underdark in Baldur's Gate 2. It's disconnected from everything, you're stuck down there for an eternity, can't switch characters, can't access surface shops or your stronghold (which was one of the selling points of the game !)... and while the drow plotline is kind of interesting the first time around, it really overstays its welcome.
Same goes for the Old Owl Well chapter of Neverwinter Nights 2. A million corridors all alike, infinitely respawning orcs, traps, no dialogue. It's even more aggravating when you know that the entire point of the NWN2 campaign in general, and this section in particular, is "because fuck you, that's why" (i.e. Obsidian chafed at being instructed by their producers to make a bland Forgotten Realms D&D fantasy story instead of the more original content they had in mind and dragged their feet in every possible way. That's also why all of the NPCs are insufferable/caricatural examples of their respective archetypes. It's also also why the campaign ends with "rocks fall, everyone dies")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs
Anyway, dodging lightning in the Thunder Plains in Final Fantasy X was both tedious and frustrating, especially since you needed to do it 200 times in a row without making a mistake to get Lulu's ultimate weapon.

Yeah, and the bird dodging race for Tidus' sword was shit too - but neither bit was integral to the plot or the game ; Lulu isn't a good character to tackle endgame content with (Tidus is all right but not the best).
But good news : there's a script out there for the PC version of the game that autododges lightning !

There is no script for that fucking chocobo race however. Yes, I did it again, because at this point the notion of self-respect is evidently alien to me. It absolutely renewed my teenage interest in arranging a prolonged meeting between whichever-designer-came-up-with-it's penis and a ballpeen hammer.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:59 AM

Dear Colonization:
I know I'm going to be independent. You know I'm going to be independent. Can we just throw the two piles of soldiers at each other without going through twenty million disembarks? Or whatever the noun is for "soldiers getting off a boat and piling up nicely atop each other".
Old 09-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

The final above ground segment of Metro 2033. I gave up on it because of the stupidly too fragile gas masks.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:38 AM

The mandatory "death race" near the end of Mad Max. Driving around the apocalyptic desert blowing stuff up was great; having to participate in this shitty, completely unfair race in which you have to kill the "boss" while literally everyone else in the race is determined to kill you, completely fucking sucked. The only reason I ever beat it was pure luck.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
The mandatory "death race" near the end of Mad Max. Driving around the apocalyptic desert blowing stuff up was great; having to participate in this shitty, completely unfair race in which you have to kill the "boss" while literally everyone else in the race is determined to kill you, completely fucking sucked. The only reason I ever beat it was pure luck.
Oh god, yes. The whole game is "Here's you careening wildly around the wasteland flats, shooting harpoons and making jumps with abandon" then for one segment they want tight controls and have cheaty AIs attacking you, etc. Took me way too many tries and I enjoyed none of it.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Having to drive around San Francisco on a timer to defuse multiple bombs. Gave up on that one, too.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:46 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

It's less a segment than an entire mechanic, but the Batmobile in Arkham Knight. It doesn't drive well, the camera has problems, and the entire thing feels tacked on. I hated any Batmobile mission and straight out gave up on the collectibles that required it.

I'm told that Uncharted is a great game. I never finished it because of those freaking Nazi zombies being way too hard.

These days, if I get really stuck I just drop the difficulty and move on. I finally started playing Horizon Zero Dawn and have done so twice. My personal rules are that I have to fail multiple times over at least two sessions and that it has to be a story mission where I cannot leave it and try again at a higher level. If it's just hard but optional, I keep trying.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

The Mongol Invasion in Medieval: Total War. If the Mongols do not capture a city they just keep coming, seemingly far out of proportion to their actual numbers. I've eliminated 10 full stacks and they just keep coming. For comparison it is unusual to see another nations field army have much more than 2 full stacks within movement distance of each other.

Oddly enough I think that once they take a city, they will no longer reinforce themselves and so can be attacked fruitfully, but once they've come, I always either try to fight them off, give it up as hopeless and quit, or playing as a Western Power I quickly win the game before they come.

So when I play these days I just turn the Mongols off.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Like many, I hate forced stealth sections/level in action games - especially if they are "auto-fail" and you have to start completely over. Bonus hate if you have been kickin' ass up to the point of the game where this happens and the reason you have to use stealth, instead of your skills/weapons, is completely contrived.

I have not played Mad Max, but it did remind me of the reason why I stopped playing Arkham Knight - that boss tank battle, which I assume/hope is near the end, since I am replaying the remasters of the two earlier games. It was endlessly boring to fire one shot and then race around for five minutes until the enemy got stuck on something for a brief moment and I could get off a cheap shot. The whole time I was thinking "I am frickin' Batman, I own a jet! Heck, I probably have a rocket launcher if I wanted to snipe this thing from the rooftop/railway.... which I mysteriously jumped down from into the cloud of poisonous gas...."
Old 09-10-2018, 01:08 PM

The DIMA's memory section of the Far Harbor DLC for Fallout 4. Happily, there is a mod available that lets a fellow skip it.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
Even the best games ever made have THAT part, whether it's a level, a boss, puzzle, whatever, that are so annoying and frustrating that it brings the rest of the game down.

That's one way people have discovered to cheese it, but I think the intended way was to fight the left side archer first in melee, and then deal with the right side archer. If you run up and then left to the walkway where the second archer is, you can block line of sight to the right side archer. You only have to fight them one at a time if you go that way. There's even treasure at the end of that walkway to reward you for killing the left side archer.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:41 PM

Dark Souls and Bloodbourne...every boss battle. I loved the games when it was running around, exploring, brawling, and figuring ways past tricky enemies and environments. Then, at peak fun and flow, the games halt into gated die/reload/repeat boss-battle drudgery. They never felt like skillful wins, instead they felt like I was just being punished into memorizing patterns.

Arkham Asylum has been mentioned for a few, but there was a horrible section fighting waves of multiple big behemoth guys, the ones that require stuns and jumping on backs, that was controller-smashing frustration due to poor cameras and button command responsiveness.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
The DIMA's memory section of the Far Harbor DLC for Fallout 4. Happily, there is a mod available that lets a fellow skip it.
True, that bit is quite out of place. That said, the first three aren't that bad and those on PC can use the console command TCL to make the fourth much less of a hassle.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-10-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:28 PM

Another I just remembered. Those damned dogs and Hinds in Modern Warfare. Took forever to get past there.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Ludovic's example reminds me of another one: In Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri, your cities generate eco-damage, and when your eco-damage gets too bad, Planet starts sending targeted xenoworm attacks against you. Towards the endgame, it can become overwhelming. Now, there's a way to mitigate this eco-damage, by building certain structures in your cities. Note the key word: By building them, not by having them. And it only starts counting how many you've built after the first xenoworm attack. So if you've been trying to play the game green, building those structures as soon as you can, you'll still get fungal uprisings against you, and then you won't be able to do anything about it, because you've already built all of the eco-buildings you can. Well, technically, you can raze the buildings and rebuilt them, but unless you already knew about how this bizarre mechanic works, why would you do that?
Old 09-10-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
Arkham Asylum has been mentioned for a few, but there was a horrible section fighting waves of multiple big behemoth guys, the ones that require stuns and jumping on backs, that was controller-smashing frustration due to poor cameras and button command responsiveness.
I’d go so far as to say that every hand-to-hand fight in Arkham Asylum was a “bad part” because of that. I just hated the controls. I’d walk up to an enemy, press the attack button, and it’d randomly attack someone in proximity, and only by luck would I hit what I intended to. It really looked cool but was largely nonfunctional. By the time Arkham City was released they’d smoothed things out and it worked how it was supposed to (and that fighting system was also great in Mad Max and Shadow of Mordor). But in Arkham Asylum it was a mess.

I loved all the platforming, puzzle-solving, and the stealth play (taking out goons from the shadows and watching them panic because they don’t know what’s happening was so satisfying). Those parts of the game were great. But get into a fight and ugh.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Having to dodge rocks in the land speeder in Space Quest.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:28 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Realm divide.

Anyone who's played the game I'm referring to does not need me to say the title.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:02 PM

Any 'quicktime' event. I don't know what the "X" button or the "O" button is. I just play by feel. And now, I feel like I missed some important scene and am possibly on a sub-obtimal path.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Realm divide.

Anyone who's played the game I'm referring to does not need me to say the title.

Eh. I think RD was fine as an endgame mechanic - after all, it's either that or the previous Total War standard of "I've already won but I have to spend some 100 turns mopping up the dismal remnants of everyone else on the map piecemeal with my unstoppable stacks". Plus it was advertised way in advance and there's a helpful bar telling you exactly how close you are to being the entire island's buttboy.
Sure, some mechanics could have been handled better - it would have been better IMO if your game-long allies stayed on your side instead of having to go "curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal !". The warhammer games work that part better. But on the whole, I'm okay with Realm Divide. And it feels properly Sekigahara-ish.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Arrogance Ex Machina;21197763]Mandatory stealth sections in any game, be it Witcher 2 or Ni No Kuni 2 or whatever. If the game isn't a stealth game, don't add a stupid section with incredibly powerful enemies (or instant game over). Another way to piss me off is to include some sort of platforming in a non-platforming game. At least Borderlands 2's Tiny Tina DLC made it so if you failed a few times, it removed the platforming bit completely.[/QUOTE]

Basically any platforming element in a FPS. I couldn't play Turok at all.

Finding ingredients to make armor/ weapons. I spent over an hour in one of the Final Fantasy games trying to find the ingredients to one of the characters best weapon.

Too many side quests. As much as I like Mass Effect I feel like the games have too many side quests. On the surface Morrowind seems like a great game, but it's basically one side quest after another. This isn't the first game where I've nearly forgotten what the main quest was either.

Escort missions. Bad AI seems to make the guy I'm escorting suicidal.

Last edited by furryman; 09-11-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
I didn't think it was possible, but there are stupid escort missions in a solo board game: Gloomhaven, where the character you are escorting will always move toward the goal room by the swiftest means possible even if it means becoming a target in the process.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
Escort missions traditionally came in two flavors: suicidal and snail. Both are frustrating for their own reasons.

Newer games seem to have figured it out. In Warframe, there’s a mission type where you make your way to where an ally is held prisoner, free them, and you have the option of giving them your secondary weapon to use. Then they follow you like a combat pet and actually help you fight, but they aren’t indestructible and you have to make it to the escape point without letting them die. It’s pretty slick and the first time I actually enjoyed an escort mission in a game.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Starcraft: Wings of Liberty had an escort mission where the escortee was a 5,000-ton walking death machine, and it still sucked.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:47 PM

Related to what Atamaslama wrote about escort missions, it floored me when I learned that you, in Stalker of Chernyobyl, could trade ahead of time with the scientist you escort from the helicopter crash site, and thereby give him things like an actual rifle, bandages, a replacement environment suit. Stuff where he actually could help you, instead of being the kamakaze PITA that level reminds me of. Probably would've helped too when you go to keep all of the zombies off him at Yantar.

I detest escort missions.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I didn't think it was possible, but there are stupid escort missions in a solo board game: Gloomhaven, where the character you are escorting will always move toward the goal room by the swiftest means possible even if it means becoming a target in the process.

Ha ! We just did that mission the other weekend and yeah, we hated that asshole. He will even open new rooms which, because he acts last in the turn, means that the party can't even react to all the monsters he unveils, who proceed to shit out damage at him ! Thankfully our team of the moment is heavy on summons and stuns so we could jam his way for a couple turns in the third room, giving us some breathing room while we mopped up his wake of retardation.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:44 PM

I would make a general statement that underwater stages are always tedious.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
I would make a general statement that underwater stages are always tedious.
That’s usually true. Though I did really like Vashj’ir in WoW.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Starcraft: Wings of Liberty had an escort mission where the escortee was a 5,000-ton walking death machine, and it still sucked.
The only escort mission I have ever enjoyed was in Syndicate. Arm all 4 team members with lasers and keep them at the four compass directions around the escortee.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:02 PM

I recall one escort mission in City of Heroes; you are supposed to rescue a General from the Rikti. As it happens the General is weak, aggressive, and armed only with a pistol; meanwhile the Rikti are powerful, resistant to control powers, and have multiple types that explode upon being killed. On top of that the General starts out surrounded by Rikti; a team could easily get the General killed just by fighting his guards.

It was not a popular mission...
Old 09-11-2018, 11:09 PM

How am I the first one to mention the iron boots in Ocarina of Time? The Water Temple should've been called the Boot Changing Temple.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regallag_The_Axe View Post
How am I the first one to mention the iron boots in Ocarina of Time? The Water Temple should've been called the Boot Changing Temple.
They need a separate slot for lockpicks in Morrowind. It feels like I'm switching back and forth between my sword and my lockpick every five minutes.

Last edited by furryman; 09-12-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:13 PM

A lot of Sierra games had arcade type sections that I did not like. I was also not a huge fan of mazes either.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:16 PM

Every boss fight in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. One of the big selling points of the original (and most of Human Revolution) is that there are multiple possible ways, including non-violent ways, to finish all objectives. Except the boss fights that are straight up shooter sections. The DLC, thankfully, reverted to form.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Eh. I think RD was fine as an endgame mechanic - after all, it's either that or the previous Total War standard of "I've already won but I have to spend some 100 turns mopping up the dismal remnants of everyone else on the map piecemeal with my unstoppable stacks". Plus it was advertised way in advance and there's a helpful bar telling you exactly how close you are to being the entire island's buttboy.
The idea of Realm Divide was a good one. The implementation was compeltely self-defeating and measurably made the game worse, to the point where it remains one of the worst elements of Shogun 2 to this day. The twisted versions in the mini-expansion campaigns were markedly different for a reason.

In case anyone here is not aware, Shogun 2 is a game of conquest in feudal Japan, and it is fantastic... except for Realm Divide. You generally play the game by conquering territory until you've successfully come to dominate the land. Eventually, your successes fill up the Realm Divide meter (at about 20% of Japan conquered) and basically, everybody else in the game goes completely berzerk against you. There are several reasons this is a huge problem:

(1) Your tight, beloved allies that fight alongside you through thick and thin? Will betray you, possibly instantly. It's basically impossible to, say, play as the Oda and make a powerful Tokugawa vassal or whatever. Allies and vassals are often an active hindrance, especially as the AI is sufficiently bad that they will often get in your way or require an aggressive bail-ouit of their own incompetence.
(2) There are basically no logistics in the game. So you can randomly get enemies zooming across half the map to YOLO into you randomly.
(3) The AI ignores several basic game mechanics, which is annoying. In fact, the AI frequently beats even experienced players in expansion, but the RD mechanic doesn't apply to them at all. It's not uncommon for the player to fight aggressively and still have a fraction of the land of somebody else. Usualy, one or two factions will go completely crazy and take over half the country.
(4) The late game, far from becoming an exciting duel of rival alliances, turns into a grinding slog that's actually WORSE than the old way of having to deal with a horse of trivial powers.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:39 PM

Since I've been playing some turn-based strategy games recently, one thing which irritates me a lot is the flat way that chance usually works in these games. Think XCom. Usually, you end up with alot of middle % chances to various actions.

It's a small thing in some ways, but I've noticed that in a lot of these games, it almost always boils down minimizing any chance that something will go wrong than it is about taking any risk for doing something fun or intersting. The flat % chances are a big part of this. You can have the perfect strategy in mind, but it all comes down to a 1-100 dice roll. That itself is the issue: there's a very narrow range of potential values. You can never try for a one-in-a-thousand clutch shot, and even extremely easy actions fail annoyingly often. So even when it's fun, there's often a lot of "I did nothing incorrect, there are no lessons to learn, but everything went completely wrong and now I have to restart." (Basically, imagine if, 1 time out of every 100 you tried to tie your shoelaces, you accidentally broke them, slammed your head into the wall, and suffered a mild concussion.)

This is one reason I like games where you get a pool of luck, fortune, or whatever points to tilt the odds in your favor. It adds strategic depth to the game and allows for some more intersting risk/reward. You can use a bit at a time to go from "easy" to "guaranteed", or use lots of them on a nearly-impossible task to pull off an amazing twist. Battletech has a mechanic like this and it works well.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
Having to dodge rocks in the land speeder in Space Quest.
Likewise with the classic Battletoads. The bike scene was enough to make me tell my console to go fuck itself.

The underwater/swimming stage in the original TMNT.
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
Old 09-14-2018, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

The Meat Circus in the PS2 version of Psychonauts was never fully finished and was much harder and frustrating than intended.

Amazingly, they patched the PC version a couple years ago, many years after release. It play smooth on PC now and the few jumps and slides that were flawed have been smoothed out. It's great.