Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 09-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 57,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout View Post
Not assuming, I know as the parking space is my property. I have papers on me that says I own that space so it is my property. When showed in court I would be laughing my ass of because you wanted to save 5 minutes of your time parking in someones space and I would hear cha ching.
No-any lawyer willing to take money from you to pursue this will be the one hearing "cha-ching". I certainly hope that yours is ethical enough to tell you to back off.
  #52  
Old 09-15-2018, 07:38 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 57,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout View Post
That is consider trespassing as that one parking spot that is assigned to me is mine until I move out.
Do you understand the questions I asked you?
  #53  
Old 09-15-2018, 07:39 PM
helpmeout helpmeout is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Are you a lawyer?
I am paying by law for that parking space so yes it makes it mine because all the legal shit is on paper that says I own that spot so likely yes its my property until I leave. Like I said park in a damn free space instead of parking in my space and I don't care if you're visiting your family,friends or clients.
  #54  
Old 09-15-2018, 07:39 PM
SuperAbe SuperAbe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Flour Capital
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout View Post
If they want a law suit I will give them a law suit. I have a lawyer handy, as I have said why take my parking spot if there is free parking spot that nobody parks at which is up on a hill. Like I said not my fault if they cant park on a hill.
Right, but it *is* your fault when you decide you want to address the the issue through extra-legal means. Wanting to teach someone a lesson is not a legally-recognized reason for much of anything.

This is America - you can sue anyone for anything. That said, your lawyer-waving will almost certainly fail out of the gate for All The Reasons - not the least of which is lack of standing: while you're pissed-off that someone is in your spot, the amount of economic harm you're suffering is probably grossly insufficient to persuade a court to take you seriously. Plus, you're renting a spot: your redress should be through the individual or company whose lax enforcement of parking rules is leading to your distressed state. (NB: IANAL)

Finally, the law is what it is: a societal attempt to keep us all from killing each other on a daily basis for silly reasons. In a week or two I think you'll have cooled off enough to see this. Or we'll read about you in a road rage story with a depressingly predictable outcome.

I hope it's the first one.
  #55  
Old 09-15-2018, 07:41 PM
Fear Itself Fear Itself is offline
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 35,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
According to your sign, you’ll get towed for double parking. And they’d have to take you first to get access to the other guy. I assume your HOA has some procedure in place to deal with parking complaints; maybe you should check that out.
That's a good point. What if the guy waits until the tow truck arrives and the car behind him moves, then he just backs out and leaves?
__________________
“If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.” ~~Jack Handey
  #56  
Old 09-15-2018, 07:42 PM
boytyperanma boytyperanma is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout View Post
Not assuming, I know as the parking space is my property. I have papers on me that says I own that space so it is my property. When showed in court I would be laughing my ass of because you wanted to save 5 minutes of your time parking in someones space and I would hear cha ching.
In what reality do you live in that you think such a case would make a 'cha ching' sound? As far as I know there are no statutory damages for occupying a parking space. That limits your damages to actual monetary loss you incurred. As allowing them to leave would mitigate your damages, you couldn't include that additional time. Also nothing about your state or this situation would be an exception to the American Rule, so any attorney fees you accumulate are paid by you, not the defendant.
  #57  
Old 09-15-2018, 07:42 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 57,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout View Post
I am paying by law for that parking space so yes it makes it mine because all the legal shit is on paper that says I own that spot so likely yes its my property until I leave. Like I said park in a damn free space instead of parking in my space and I don't care if you're visiting your family,friends or clients.
You are renting the space. It is part of your rental agreement.
  #58  
Old 09-15-2018, 07:43 PM
helpmeout helpmeout is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
You are renting the space. It is part of your rental agreement.
I am not renting. I own the house.
  #59  
Old 09-15-2018, 07:44 PM
K2500 K2500 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout View Post
I am not renting. I own the house.
Not the same as owning the parking space.
  #60  
Old 09-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Loach Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 24,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@T-Bonham.net View Post
I don't know where you get that idea. It's certainly not true in all jurisdictions.

It's pretty common for people to try to stop a repo towing of a car by either sitting in it, or by putting their child in the car(!), thinking that will stop the repo. It won't, though it might delay it a while. The tow company will just call the police, who will look at the repo paperwork and then make them get out of the car.
A repo is a completely different circumstance. With a repo there is a repossession order signed by a judge. But as you say, even then the driver will call the police and not attempt to tow with someone in the vehicle.
  #61  
Old 09-15-2018, 07:53 PM
Loach Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 24,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout View Post
I am not renting. I own the house.
He is illegally parked. Which may or may not be legally enforceable depending on how the private property is categorized in that area.

You are committing the crime of criminal restraint.

If the tow truck driver somehow gets the car towed on the order of some random citizen over the objections of the owner he is committing motor vehicle theft.

When the cops show up guess which way it’s going to go?
  #62  
Old 09-15-2018, 08:00 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 57,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout View Post
I am not renting. I own the house.
The sign says that the spaces are "assigned"-who assigned your space to you?
  #63  
Old 09-15-2018, 08:04 PM
Ravenman Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 24,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
What state do you reside in?
From the photos, Maryland. A quick googling shows that false imprisonment is a common law criminal offense in Maryland, punishable as a misdemeanor.

OP, if you think this principle of your parking space is so important to risk prosecution, then that’s up to you. Personally I would be more concerned that the person you are detaining is some kind of maniac. He’s already proven himself the type of maniac that won’t park on a hill - no telling how deep his sociopathy goes.

If you have a lawyer at the ready as you say you do, why don’t you direct this question to him and report back?
  #64  
Old 09-15-2018, 08:18 PM
zombywoof zombywoof is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,129
There's no reason to escalate petty situations like this - people have been shot dead over stupider matters.
  #65  
Old 09-15-2018, 08:18 PM
engineer_comp_geek's Avatar
engineer_comp_geek engineer_comp_geek is online now
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,974
Moderator Action

This has been answered factually about as well as it can be.

The OP doesn't want advice, so there's no need to move this to IMHO.

If the OP wants to rant about someone parking in their spot, the BBQ Pit is a better choice.

This is closed.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017