Old 09-15-2018, 12:45 PM

I have a yeast infection................on my head.

Insert jokes here........................then move on please.

This is misery! Like dandruff on steroids. I may have no hair left. The derm said soak my head in oil, coconut to be exact, then comb the plaques off (or whatever they're called) and wrote a script for ketoconazole shampoo. It goes away for a week or so, but then roars back worse than ever.

Anyone ever try to deal with this successfully?? I am shedding as I write.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:10 PM

You need to keep your scalp cool and dry. If it's getting damp and warm on your pillow while you sleep, you need to figure out the best way to avoid that. Consider a fan aimed directly at your head, sleeping stomach/face down or at least waking regularly and shifting positions so that no area of your head gets to stay damp and warm for too long.

ETA: Change bedding daily.

Last edited by voltaire; 09-15-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:17 PM

Have you had your blood sugar tested recently? Yeast grows more easily on people with higher blood sugars.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:59 PM

Are you able to keep your hair short? Short hair would help keep it drier.

Hypothyroidism is linked to the combination of hair loss and yeast infections of the scalp. If you have not been tested for that, you should get that checked out.

Per Healthline, there are a number of additional medications that you can try for your issue:

Quote:
Research shows that antifungal drugs known as azoles, such as fluconazole (Diflucan), are very successful, as well as allylamines. Together, these topical antifungals have an 80 to 100 percent success rate in treating Candida.

Look for one of these active ingredients on the label of any medication you purchase:

ketoconazole
clotrimazole
econazole
oxiconazole
miconazole
naftifine
terbinafine

If the infection hasn’t cleared after using OTC antifungals, ask your pharmacist to help you choose a cortisone foam. Your doctor can also prescribe a stronger medication, such as nystatin or amphotericin B.
ETA: Once it's cleared up, the Healthline article mentions some essential oils that help. You might switch to shampoo with one of them to help prevent a recurrence (tea tree oil or lavender are both mentioned).

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 09-15-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:26 PM

Well, as I said, I have an Rx for a ketoconazole shampoo. Are you recommending an azole cream topically applied as well?

The derm said it's pretty much from a constant sheen of sweat here on my head in the summer in AZ with the 100+ temps.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
The derm said it's pretty much from a constant sheen of sweat here on my head in the summer in AZ with the 100+ temps.
Move to Minnesota. That'll take care of that for you.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Well, as I said, I have an Rx for a ketoconazole shampoo. Are you recommending an azole cream topically applied as well?

I wouldn't ignore the other posts who recommended running some tests. My first thought was an underlying problem. If he diagnosed this without running cultures I wouldn't rule out a fungal infection. Easy to clear up with over the counter anti fungal meds. Same as ringworm or athletes foot.

Last edited by HoneyBadgerDC; 09-15-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

I am not a doctor, nor any other sort of medical professional, but when I hear of yeast infections in unusual places, my first thought is a compromised immune system.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:51 PM

How much hair do you have. I would buzz it real short ( easy to say, hard to do). The yeast infection pill, Diflucan should work. When you go out side you need one of the cooling do-rag things.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I am not a doctor, nor any other sort of medical professional, but when I hear of yeast infections in unusual places, my first thought is a compromised immune system.
I can agree with this, testing is something to look into.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:55 PM

Did they offer any oral anti-fungal stuff as well or just topical. I went through a year of misery when an Army dermatologist kept insisting I had fungal infections under my armpits and gave me ketaconazole topically and orally, it kept getting worse and worse, my skin started cracking and was so painful. Finally I saw someone else and they actually cut off a small piece of tissue, and it turned out to be like a mild eczema, so basically I had been doing the opposite of what I should have been doing and keeping the area dry when I should have been moisturizing.

I literally bought some over the counter moisturizing lotion and within two weeks it went away and never came back, even after discontinuing the lotion. I could have punched that other guy in the face, as angry as I was about the torture he put me through.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:59 PM

I had "something" on my penis back in 1984. Being the eternal pessimist I was sure it was herpes. I drove myself crazy for a couple of weeks, putting this and that on it, but it wouldn't go away. I'm dead, I'm toast. It was like a whole bunch of tiny blisters, within an area of a half-inch or less. Zero pain or other sensations.

So I finally go to my doc. He looked at it through a magnifier and immediately said, "It's a yeast infection." He gave me a script for some antibiotic cream and it was totally gone in a couple of days, never to be seen again.

If your dermatologist is telling you to use coconut oil or whatever on it, get a REAL doc who will give you some REAL medicine. The correct diagnosis is step one, then the correct medicine is step two. If my doc knew this 34 years ago, then for some "doc" today to NOT know it is unacceptable.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerDC View Post
I wouldn't ignore the other posts who recommended running some tests. My first thought was an underlying problem. If he diagnosed this without running cultures I wouldn't rule out a fungal infection. Easy to clear up with over the counter anti fungal meds. Same as ringworm or athletes foot.
Yeast is a fungus. That's one of the reasons the ketoconazole shampoo was prescribed. Another is that it treats seborrheic dermatitis, which is most likely what the OP has. That's what cradle cap is on babies. It's not uncommon for babies that have had cradle cap to grow up and again have to deal with seborrheic dermatitis around middle age. Then again in old age. Dermatologists are excellent at diagnosing and treating issues like these.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post
I had "something" on my penis back in 1984. Being the eternal pessimist I was sure it was herpes. I drove myself crazy for a couple of weeks, putting this and that on it, but it wouldn't go away. I'm dead, I'm toast. It was like a whole bunch of tiny blisters, within an area of a half-inch or less. Zero pain or other sensations.

So I finally go to my doc. He looked at it through a magnifier and immediately said, "It's a yeast infection." He gave me a script for some antibiotic cream and it was totally gone in a couple of days, never to be seen again.

If your dermatologist is telling you to use coconut oil or whatever on it, get a REAL doc who will give you some REAL medicine. The correct diagnosis is step one, then the correct medicine is step two. If my doc knew this 34 years ago, then for some "doc" today to NOT know it is unacceptable.
Yeah, he's a terrific derm, the coconut oil is not to heal, it's just to relieve the massive flaking. And it works. And I do have, as I said, the ketoconazole shampoo by Rx. I guess another visit. He did tell me stress can bring it on in spades, and yeah, I've been really stressed.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:13 PM

I get recurrent yeast in my ears. No other health issues. I use coconut oil when it gets crusty and itchy. No cream seems to help with that but using clotrimazole cream after showers seems to keep it away for the most part. If I forget though, it comes right back.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:26 PM

OP, do you wear a hat?
Old 09-15-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah, he's a terrific derm, the coconut oil is not to heal, it's just to relieve the massive flaking. And it works. And I do have, as I said, the ketoconazole shampoo by Rx. I guess another visit. He did tell me stress can bring it on in spades, and yeah, I've been really stressed.
My doc told me to wipe myself off after having sex. My GF did not have a yeast infection which, if I recall correctly, is not an STD anyways.

Before I discovered it I was not stressed, that came afterwards.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
OP, do you wear a hat?
Or maybe the question should be: Do you ever have head sex?
Old 09-15-2018, 03:59 PM

Hurk, you missed the joke window, leave please

Back to Voltaire's thought, I wonder if a powdered azole at nite would be a good idea? Dry and anti-fungal at the same time, like a nystatin powder?

No hats, occasional visor or sweatband.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:22 PM

God. IDK, I sometimes wonder if you keep throwing OTC product at your head and scalp you'll just be making the problem worse. I worry a lot about allergic reactions to those things.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:24 PM

Yes, I think targeting it multiple ways would be a good idea. Shorter hair. Powder to keep it drier. Possibly a different medication in the first place.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Move to Minnesota. That'll take care of that for you.
Come on, that might work for half the year, but when it gets warm in Minnesota, it turns into (note the high Scandinavian population) a sauna. At least in Arizona it does not get muggy, even at 108į. If yeast does not thrive in humid conditions, where would it?
Old 09-15-2018, 08:30 PM

There is a fungus among us. I think yeast and fungus will probably do us in, in the end times. We are doomed.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Hurk, you missed the joke window, leave please

Back to Voltaire's thought, I wonder if a powdered azole at nite would be a good idea? Dry and anti-fungal at the same time, like a nystatin powder?
The CDC has this to say:
Ringworm on the scalp (tinea capitis) usually needs to be treated with prescription antifungal medication taken by mouth for 1 to 3 months. Creams, lotions, or powders donít work for ringworm on the scalp.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
The CDC has this to say:
Ringworm on the scalp (tinea capitis) usually needs to be treated with prescription antifungal medication taken by mouth for 1 to 3 months. Creams, lotions, or powders donít work for ringworm on the scalp.

Why are you posting info on what works and doesn't work for ringworm?
Old 09-15-2018, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

OP, I'm sure your derm mentioned yeast, but are you sure he said you have a yeast infection? Based on the treatment and prescription you were given and some other clues, such as him telling you stress brings it on, it sounds like he diagnosed you with seborrheic dermatitis. It may be yeast related, but there is no cure. Stress does not bring on infections. That is why he didn't prescribe you with anything that would be prescribed if the issue was an infection. He prescribed you with a shampoo to manage it and a home remedy that many find helpful, and it seems to be working for you.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray vision View Post
Why are you posting info on what works and doesn't work for ringworm?
Ringworm/tinea/yeast/fungal infection are all names for the same thing. AFAICT, you're the only one posting your own diagnosis.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:12 PM

OP, you're gonna have to be diligent to get rid of this. No sweat, no damp, apply meds, take pills for a good while. This not a battle, but a full size war. Change your pillow cases everyday, and I like the fan on your head idea. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
Ringworm/tinea/yeast/fungal infection are all names for the same thing.
No, they're not. Ringworm is a fungal infection that is from types of fungi that are not yeast. Fungal infection is also not synonymous with ringworm. All ringworm infections are fungal, but not all fungal infections are ringworm.

Quote:
AFAICT, you're the only one posting your own diagnosis.
No, I didn't. I said based on varios things written by the OP, "it sounds like he diagnosed you with seborrheic dermatitis."

Why is that relevant to mention based on me asking you why you're posting info regarding ringworm?
Old 09-15-2018, 11:32 PM

Sorry, you'll have to dance alone.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:40 PM

I was just wondering, would anyone care to dance?
Old 09-16-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Insert jokes here........................then move on please.

This is misery! Like dandruff on steroids. I may have no hair left. The derm said soak my head in oil, coconut to be exact, then comb the plaques off (or whatever they're called) and wrote a script for ketoconazole shampoo. It goes away for a week or so, but then roars back worse than ever.

Anyone ever try to deal with this successfully?? I am shedding as I write.
Yes, dandruff is caused by a yeast-and-bacteria infection like a sourdough starter, and it is treated by using a anti-dandruff shampoo. Personally, I'd recommend a zinc pyrithione shampoo rather than a ketoconazole or selenium sulfide, but for many people the zinc pyrithione shampoos make your head /feel/ worse, and other treatments make your head /feel/ better.

Treatments like coconut oil make your head feel better, and make your head less attractive to the yeast & bacteria coalition, but in the end, trying to cure by treating the physical condition of your scalp is much less effective than simply killing the yeast-and-bacteria and letting your scalp heal back to normal.

The treatment you've been recommended is standard, and you should be better in a couple of days. If you aren't better in a week, I'd start to consider switching to a different brand: I have no reason to expect that all scalp fungal conditions are equally susceptible to ketoconazole/ zinc pyrithione / selenium sulfide/.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:38 PM

Could be worse.