Old 09-15-2018, 03:15 PM

Atrial Fibrillation... Sigh.....

Anybody here successfully treat their A-Fib with medication alone? For years even?
Old 09-15-2018, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bits View Post
Anybody here successfully treat their A-Fib with medication alone? For years even?
What do you mean by 'successfully'? Staying out of afib by using meds? Keeping the rate controlled with meds? Yes, both can occur, but the latter is more likely than the former.

But for more informed discussion, can you tell more about your particular situation/concerns?
Old 09-15-2018, 03:50 PM

I suffered a bout of AFib earlier this year. I spent two nights in the hospital but they could not stop it with meds, only slow it down. They ended up using a "cardio-version" treatment, a trickle of electricity from front to back of my chest right through my heart. That zapped me back into proper rhythm. Ever since then (about seven months) I've been taking beta-blockers, which keeps me pretty much in normal rhythm. I also cut way down on my caffeine intake, and stopped carrying my cell phone in my shirt pocket (just in case).

(I was already on anticoagulants for other purposes, so that wasn't an issue.)
Old 09-15-2018, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I suffered a bout of AFib earlier this year. I spent two nights in the hospital but they could not stop it with meds, only slow it down. They ended up using a "cardio-version" treatment, a trickle of electricity from front to back of my chest right through my heart. That zapped me back into proper rhythm. Ever since then (about seven months) I've been taking beta-blockers, which keeps me pretty much in normal rhythm.
Very similar experience. Mine was almost 2 years ago, and I was put on medication for several months with the expectation that that might do the trick. It didn't. Did the cardioverion thing and it worked like a charm. Been good ever since.

Prep time and check in for the procedure gook several hours, but the actual procedure is done in a matter of seconds, or less. I was sedated, although not general anesthesia. Prior to the procedure, my resting heart rate was about 80 - 90 bpm. Afterwards, it's been 50 - 60. The change was, literally, like flipping a switch.

I did not get any info from my cardiologist about how common it was for medication alone to get you back in good rhythm, so I have no idea whether it's a realistic option.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

My AFib acted up over 10 years ago. They tried to reboot my heart, and failed. My cardiologist gave me something to reset it (though it hardly ever worked) and rescheduled me for another go. When I came for it, my AFib was gone, temporarily at least.
Since then I'm on Dilitaizem and Warfarin, and I'm down to cardiologist visits only every two years. I have no symptoms except very occasional fibrillation that I can feel. I get my INR checked every 6 weeks, and it is always right in the middle of the acceptable range.
My blood pressure and everything else is very good, I'm not over weight, and my LDL cholesterol is way low without medication.
So don't despair. It doesn't have to mess you up.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
What do you mean by 'successfully'? Staying out of afib by using meds? Keeping the rate controlled with meds? Yes, both can occur, but the latter is more likely than the former.

But for more informed discussion, can you tell more about your particular situation/concerns?

By “success” I mean stopping (or substantially reducing) episodes of A-fib.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2018, 06:59 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Mine cured itself. I canít really explain it. It would happen periodically for seconds up to minutes. Then one time it wouldnít stop and I went to the hospital. I was there overnight and in the morning it was gone. I canít tell you exactly when it went away but it did. Now maybe a couple of times a year at most I will feel a couple of irregular beats and thatís it.

Always make sure your potassium intake is enough. Lack of potassium can lead to irregular heartbeat. When I was in the hospital that one time the only thing they found that was wrong was that my potassium level was very low.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:32 PM

I underwent an ablation. It worked. So far. It has been three years since ablation.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:54 PM

I had heart valve repair 2 years ago and apparently I go into Afib without knowing it. I ended up with a 3.5 inch blood clot in my heart. I found this out after a piece broke off and went to my leg. It clotted the entire length of the leg and I was in the hospital for 2 weeks getting rid of it as well as the clot in my heart.

Long story short I'm on blood thinner for the rest of my life.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:42 PM

Magiver, just out of curiosity was the clot in your leg like a sudden thing like you woke up one morning and your whole leg was discolored or did it start small and spread. Just curious. Did you feel anything odd prior to the clot appearing?

Last edited by pool; 09-15-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Magiver, just out of curiosity was the clot in your leg like a sudden thing like you woke up one morning and your whole leg was discolored or did it start small and spread. Just curious. Did you feel anything odd prior to the clot appearing?
It was progressive. Exactly this time last year I had trouble walking any distances. It would start in my calf muscle and the entire lower leg would then ache like the worst shin splints. I thought it might be a clot and had a scan of my leg done. They only scanned the vein side of the leg because that is where blood clots usually start. It got worse to the point a walk of 100 feet would require laying down for 30 minutes yet I could walk 15 feet with reasonable success. The pain would get rapidly worse with the distance traveled. I eventually had the artery side of the leg scanned and by that time there was no discernible pulse in my leg. That was 2 months later so there's your time line.

4 days of repeated surgery for the leg and 10 days of drug therapy to dissolve the clot in my heart.

There was no discoloration just an ever increasing amount of pain when walking. If I wasn't walking it didn't hurt.

Just as an aside, if it gets that bad your leg will be colder than the other leg. You should also be able to easily feel your pulse by pressing your fingers across the top of your foot.

Last edited by Magiver; 09-15-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:21 AM

I did not know there was any treatment for it. Maybe there weren't in 2005 when mine was diagnosed. I have been on blood thinners since. First warfarin, now something call eliquis. Which I had to suspend for two days before a colonoscopy.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:16 AM

I've had paroxysmal atrial fibrillation for at least 10 years now. I call it "wonky heart syndrome". I'm on Bisoprolol Fumarate, Flecainide Acetate, and aspirin. I still get occasional wonkiness but it's mild and lasts from a few minutes to several hours.