Old 09-16-2018, 11:19 AM

Decorative Books

You can buy based on color. You know, so people will think you can read and stuff.

I find this somewhere between sad and silly.

https://www.amazon.com/Decorative-De...s=office+decor
Do you know a child in need?
Old 09-16-2018, 11:36 AM

Strand, a gigantic bookstore in NYC, has offered this for a while.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:13 PM

I recall an old New Yorker cartoon. A customer is speaking to a clerk in a book store:

"I need 3 yards of green books."

mmm
Old 09-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Not exactly a new idea - it's referenced in The Great Gatsby. Gatsby has a library of uncut books, meaning they've never been read, they're just on the shelves for show.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

One way to get rid of books no one wants.

Last edited by furryman; 09-16-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I recall an old New Yorker cartoon. A customer is speaking to a clerk in a book store:

"I need 3 yards of green books."
"Christ, what an asshole" seems especially apropos here.

ETA: it just occurred to me that one could read the above as referring to the OP - intent is to refer to the protagonist in the New Yorker cartoon in question.

Last edited by SuperAbe; 09-16-2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Clarify intent....just in case.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post
Not exactly a new idea - it's referenced in The Great Gatsby. Gatsby has a library of uncut books, meaning they've never been read, they're just on the shelves for show.
In “Abie the Agent,” a classic comic strip dating back to 1914, the middle-class, upwardly-striving title character bought volume sets of classic literature for his home bookshelves.

To his credit, he would bring the same books home from the public library and actually read them. “Oy...why should I ruin my fine editions?”

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 09-16-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Here's a story about a guy, Thatcher Wine, who creates libraries where the (custom) dust jackets on the spines of the books make a mural. He charges something like $750 a linear foot, although I suppose you could do the same thing, if you've got the time and creativity. And this company will sell you books all in the same color, or with the same color dust covers, or whatever, again by the linear foot.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:52 PM

I've seen faux books on shelves with real spines and foam blocks behind, used in staging for real estate. Yeah, it happens. Now on Amazon? Ha!

Last edited by campp; 09-16-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: edit
Old 09-16-2018, 10:04 PM

I get so frustrated with my sister doing this. At least she goes to rummage and estate sales, but she'll buy an armful of books, the older and mustier the better... just for decor.

At least there's hope that she might someday read some of them. This is from the Questions section of the linked Amazon site:

Q: I understand that they are for decoration so that means that you can't actually read them right? Are any of the names, real names from actual books?

A: Yes they are for decoration but yes you can read any of them. They are all real books in readable condition. Many purchase them for decor and end up reading them all!
Old 09-16-2018, 10:10 PM

My DIL buys the readers digest Condensed books, by color, and uses them for decor. They come in nice colors. I can sorta see it, as an artist. But really its kinda lame.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:56 PM

I used to see books in IKEA's display of bookshelves for sale, where the books were clearly ... I know there's an industry term for this, but I've forgotten it ... The books that didn't sell well and got put into the Big Bin of Shame. Obscure local Swedish history, unpopular novels, etc.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidwithanR View Post
I used to see books in IKEA's display of bookshelves for sale, where the books were clearly ... I know there's an industry term for this, but I've forgotten it ... The books that didn't sell well and got put into the Big Bin of Shame. Obscure local Swedish history, unpopular novels, etc.
Remainders?

The library I volunteer at has had drama clubs, etc. contact us asking if we had any XYZ type of books that they could use for scenery. Usually, we do, and they can take as many as they want.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:42 PM

A local used book chain offers 'Books By The Yard', so you can "look smart" (their words, not mine) filling your shelf with those old Dan Brown and James Patterson hardbacks for $50/yd.

Last edited by zombywoof; 09-16-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:14 AM

We have a local sheltered workshop for Adults with mental disabilities. They have store where they sell donated items. They get a lot of books donated. Usually gigantic sets of Encyclopedia Britannica. Thousands of novels and bibles, surprisingly.
Once a month they have a 'bag-o'-books' sale. $3. Buys a large bag. I suspect you could fill a library easily out of that store.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 09-17-2018 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Remainders?
Exactly, thank you.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
A local used book chain offers 'Books By The Yard', so you can "look smart" (their words, not mine) filling your shelf with those old Dan Brown and James Patterson hardbacks for $50/yd.
Linear yard, cubic yard, or back yard?
Old 09-17-2018, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
You can buy based on color. You know, so people will think you can read and stuff.
Buying books by the yard was common in Victorian times. After all, if you're building a new home then you need books to fill your new library. You don't expect the owner to vet each and every one, do you?

Besides, you don't want good books to disguise your secret door, do you?
Old 09-17-2018, 03:37 AM

Plus you need one on a hinge device so you can access the priest hole. That should be a diet book, no one likes those.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

"The love of reading, delivered"
Old 09-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I find that very irritating. We saw an episode of Fixer Upper the other day in which Joanna put blank white bookcovers on some of the books she was piling on a mantel with candlesticks and such. Seems to me that if the books aren't to be read, you could just use a couple reams of copy paper.

Of course, if you do get a strange hankering to read something, you could just look at the wall, where it usually says "Love" or "Family".
Old 09-17-2018, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Reminds me of an old Dilbert strip, where Dogbert is selling "art" for the office environment. "How much is your art?" "Six dollars a pound."
Old 09-17-2018, 04:50 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

First thing that came to mind when I read the OP was The Last Bookstore in LA. They have a neat tunnel made of books and also some shelves where books are sorted by color.

Last edited by blondebear; 09-17-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:29 PM

There's a Flann O'Brien story that advertises a service that makes it look like said books have actually been read. Dog eared pages, margin notes, that kind of thing.

Last edited by Johnny Q; 09-17-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:47 PM

I think it would be fun for a group of friends to each buy a set of books (each in a different color), read their set, then meet to discuss.

As for myself, I don't need no stinking broker in order to entirely decorate my apace with books.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Don't forget about Danielle Steel! It wouldn't surprise me if her books are the reason why they do this.

This sounds like a great way for them to clear out their warehouses, and make a little cash at the same time.

The library in my old town priced their books at 50 cents an inch (measuring the spine), and then after much hand-wringing decided to raise it to $1 an inch. Some people thought we would lose sales, but we didn't.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:22 PM

Won't make the edit deadline: And I see that Half Price Books pitches this service to, among other things, the hotel and hospitality industry. When I stayed in a hotel last month, they had their version of a Little Free Library in the lobby. It had a few shelves with a small sign that said, "Take a book, leave a book."
Old 09-18-2018, 12:00 AM

My wife has a book up on the shelf titled, "20,000 Years of Fashion". There is a stuffed Bumble Bee sitting on top of it.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:05 AM

You should have a look at that book, Gato. Not because I am worried about your fashion sense, but it may be where she's hiding the cash or her stash.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 09-18-2018 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:09 AM

I briefly sold books to decorators in my teenaged years. Many of them asked me for fake sets that were just a bunch of bindings stuck to a frame. I refused to sell those, and openly shamed them for asking.

We had about 20 different "packages" for various types of households. I only ever pitched the three packages which included the Harvard Classics and Encyclopedia Brittanica. All of my customers also got the complete works of DuBois, Baldwin, Frederick Douglass, Tolkien, and several others.

My parents seldom read their books, but I did. I always liked to imagine the children of those houses immersing themselves in great literature.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:24 PM

There is a restaurant/bar in the Pittsburgh suburbs somewhere that we visited for a beer/dinner pairing. Before it was a restaurant/bar it was a bookstore, and the new owners went with the books motif.

From our table I could easily reach bookshelves, and did examine a few random books. My gf put an end to that (no books/phones at the table), but I could see it being fun.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:26 PM

There used to be a hotel in my area that was considered THE place to stay, or to have things like wedding receptions. It was also a fine dining establishment back in the day. Eventually, the owners sold the facility to someone who didn't take care of it, and before it was demolished, the public was allowed to come in and buy the contents. I heard they had a big library, and being a book re-seller, I decided to check it out.

99% of what they had was worthless to me, or anyone else, because it consisted of A) Reader's Digest Condensed Books; B) other books, mostly vintage law books, that were infested with black mold; and C) RDCBs that were infested with black mold.

The Habitat Re-Store, which sells building supplies to raise money for Habitat for Humanity, made a small fortune from some of the stained glass they harvested.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:07 AM

Those RD books must have been in everyones houses. Must have cost pennies. I see them at every used book store or flea market I go to. I bought a large box of books at an auction one time. Got it for a song. More than half was RD. Disappointing.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I briefly sold books to decorators in my teenaged years. Many of them asked me for fake sets that were just a bunch of bindings stuck to a frame. I refused to sell those, and openly shamed them for asking.

We had about 20 different "packages" for various types of households. I only ever pitched the three packages which included the Harvard Classics and Encyclopedia Brittanica. All of my customers also got the complete works of DuBois, Baldwin, Frederick Douglass, Tolkien, and several others.

My parents seldom read their books, but I did. I always liked to imagine the children of those houses immersing themselves in great literature.
At the least, you could construct a sturdy little fort for yourself. Try doing that with bindings.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksiaman View Post
At the least, you could construct a sturdy little fort for yourself. Try doing that with bindings.
Several years ago, a British resale shop did this with their donated copies of "Fifty Shades of Grey."

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a6947816.html

The library in my old town used RDCBs as a table base; once in a while, somebody would want to buy one, and they could if they wished.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 09-19-2018 at 05:27 PM.