Old 09-15-2018, 02:22 PM

Centralmost world airport?

Given that there are 1,281 international airports in the world (according to Wikipedia), there must be an airport that is 'centralmost' depending upon some definition - maybe it has the smallest sum of distances to all the other international airports. Or maybe it is the airport that is closest to the geometric center (projected to the Earth's surface) of all the other international airports. Or maybe it has the smallest sum of squares of distances to all other airports. Or maybe you want to weight airports based on the population in their catchment; if we're evacuating the world to a single location, it might make sense to try to minimize man-miles flown, not just airport-to-airport miles for single flights. Whatever; you may choose your definition. I guess we can assume that magic planes can fly nonstop great-circle routes from airport to airport, and that if an airport can provide flights across one national border it can provide flights across all borders, in order to simplify the problem.

So, does this problem have a known solution(s) based on whatever particular definition(s) you choose for 'centralmost'? Looking at a map of international airports, I would guess maybe Diori Hamani in Niger, but that's just a WAG.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

My inclination for this problem is to minimize the length of the longest distance from the airport: That is to say, the Central Airport is within X miles or less of all other airports, and no other airport has a smaller X. Since all airports are on the surface of the Earth, which is (to good approximation) a sphere, this is equivalent to finding the airport whose antipode is the most isolated. So we'd want to find a big circle (probably in the middle of the ocean) with no airports in it, and then look at the point opposite the center of that circle, and look for an airport near there.

One complication is that there are a lot of tiny flyspeck islands in the middle of the ocean, and if such an island has any civilized development at all, an airport is the first thing it's going to have.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:09 PM

I feel like you should take the schedule of available flights into account. A lot of aviation uses a hub-and-spoke topology, so tiny islands probably wouldn't change things much, insofar as you would anyway need to get to a major airport on the way to your destination. Here is a possible list of hub airports to consider.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
My inclination for this problem is to minimize the length of the longest distance from the airport: That is to say, the Central Airport is within X miles or less of all other airports, and no other airport has a smaller X. Since all airports are on the surface of the Earth, which is (to good approximation) a sphere, this is equivalent to finding the airport whose antipode is the most isolated. So we'd want to find a big circle (probably in the middle of the ocean) with no airports in it, and then look at the point opposite the center of that circle, and look for an airport near there.

One complication is that there are a lot of tiny flyspeck islands in the middle of the ocean, and if such an island has any civilized development at all, an airport is the first thing it's going to have.
I feel a better method would be to take every airport and find the distance between it and the other 1280 airports in the world. Then figure out the average length of those 1280 routes.

Do this for every airport and whichever one has the lowest average length would be the "centralmost". It's the airport that is, on average, closest to every other airport in the world.

This method focuses on all of the connections an airport has rather than just its longest one. That would avoid the flyspeck island issue you raised.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

The islands in the southern Indian Ocean are without airports. They're uninhabited; at most they have scientific teams on them and those get to their islands by boat. The antipodes of that area is North America. Eyeballing it, I'd say the center of that area is east of Kerguelen Island. Antipodal to that is Alberta and Montana. So Calgary or Great Falls.

There's similar regions in the south Atlantic and South Pacific, but I don't think they're larger.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:00 PM

Per Chronos' notion, the international airport closest to the antipode of Point Nemo in the South Pacific is probably Orenburg in Russia.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:25 PM

Let me clarify my OP a bit: there are multiple ways to define this problem, but I'm looking for airports that actually meet one these definitions. So, for example, maybe Heathrow purports to have the shortest sum-of-distances to all other airports, while Kathmandu Airport can be reached by all humans in the shortest time, or whatever?

Maybe nobody has worked out this type of problem, but it seems like the sort of thing that a PR flack at some international airport would like to be able to claim.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossa View Post
if we're evacuating the world to a single location, it might make sense to try to minimize man-miles flown, not just airport-to-airport miles for single flights.
If you want to evacuate the world to a single location, you're going to end up with everyone connecting in Atlanta anyway.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
If you want to evacuate the world to a single location, you're going to end up with everyone connecting in Atlanta anyway.
Ah, but in at least one formulation there are no connections, just nonstop great circle flights.

I wonder what the practical difference would be between the least-sum-of distances and Chronos' shortest-distance-to farthest formulations. Or from the least-sum-of-squares-of -distances, since we are limited to picking an airport that already exists, not planning a theoretical pykrete carrier base in the Arctic.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

If you’re asking which airport is closest to the most people in the world, the answer seems to be either Dubai or Istanbul. Both airports have built huge international hub operations as a result.

No airports in the Americas would qualify; they are all way too far from Asia.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

By that standard, I would actually expect St. Petersburg to be better than either of those cities. North America might not have the population of Asia, but it's not nothing, either, and a far-north city would have better access to North America, across the pole. On the other hand, it's a lot further than the Middle East from Africa.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:36 PM

Assuming you follow a criterion similar to Chronos', but ignore airports like Honolulu or Tahiti which serve small populations, and not going too far south to approach big cities like Sydney or Santiago then ... you might find a point of "maximal isolation" near the antipode of Cairo, Egypt.

This is slightly startling since, long before the Pacific Ocean was even discovered, there were mystic traditions which placed Cairo at the center of the world!
Old 09-15-2018, 09:22 PM

How about this, then: is there a database of coordinates of international airports, such that the actual least-sum or least-sum-of-squares or whatever can be calculated?

You would not ignore any existing international airports, although you might not weight them very much if you are doing a population-based calculation

Last edited by brossa; 09-15-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:48 PM

OK, as a crude rule of thumb.

I took the co-ordinates of the 50 largest airports in the world by 2017 traffic volume.

Plotted them on an X-Y graph as Mercator projection (S&W values negative) and find the median point is 18.2006N 31.6697W which is in the north Atlantic and Cape Verde your nearest international airport.

Weighting by traffic volume make a minimal adjustment to be 18.8468N 32.0705W.

If you want to use a different projection or take into account substantial factors like great circle navigation etc, be my guest.

Last edited by penultima thule; 09-15-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Per Chronos' notion, the international airport closest to the antipode of Point Nemo in the South Pacific is probably Orenburg in Russia.
Hey! Do I post the location of your secret underwater lair?
Old 09-16-2018, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

penultima thule, that method depends not only on your choice of projection (which is highly significant), but also on your choice of eastern and western boundaries. You can put the center on pretty much any longitude line you want just by shifting the map.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:52 PM

I compulsively hack out code the way some people compulsively eat potato chips. (Unfortunately I sometimes compulsively eat potato chips while I'm compulsively hacking out code. ) So I said "Why not?" By approximating the Earth as a sphere, great circle distances are easy to compute; why not find the centralmost major airport? In the interest of bipartisanship I'd even minimize both total distance and total distance-squared (and any other suggested norms).

But where to find the longis and latis? And how to decide which airports to use? There's aviationfanatic.kml at aviationfanatic.com, but it has 41,000+ airports (and annoyingly has only ICAO code, not IATA code).

Quote:
Originally Posted by penultima thule View Post
I took the co-ordinates of the 50 largest airports in the world by 2017 traffic volume.
15 out of 50 are in U.S.A., which biases relative to OP's criterion — he wants to save everyone, not just frequent fliers. BTW, penultima thule: Am I missing something? Did you need 150 clicks or more to get all the coordinates or is there some shortcut?

Anyway, you guys pick an airport list, and I'll volunteer to hack out the centralmost.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
You can put the center on pretty much any longitude line you want just by shifting the map.
The age old question of the reference point for longitude.
Sure you can define the prime meridian anywhere you like, but that's not going to change the weighted average of the data points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Did you need 150 clicks or more to get all the coordinates or is there some shortcut?
No shortcut, just cut&paste the table and airport co-ordinates into a workbook and determine the degrees as decimals.
If you want something sophisticated, well that's precisely why the SD has people like your goodself, Chronos and Colibri et al.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:48 PM

Slightly off topic, but I wonder which airport with non-international status is the biggest on this planet? Somewhere China?

Last edited by yo han go; 09-16-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo han go View Post
I wonder which airport with non-international status is the biggest on this planet?
Believe that title goes to Van Nuys Airport
Old 09-16-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penultima thule View Post
Sure you can define the prime meridian anywhere you like, but that's not going to change the weighted average of the data points.
Chronos is right; plotting the points on a flat map projection does affect what the median point is. If you remap those points to a flat map centered on the intersection of the International Date Line and the equator instead of the Prime Meridian and the equator, the median point will be different. The same with a transverse Mercator projection, etc. Consider a Mercator projection with a point in Honolulu and another in Tokyo. The median point on this projection would be in western Africa somewhere, when is 'should' be somewhere in the Pacific.

Thanks very much for the kind offer, septimus. I don't know what sort of database would be best for you to work with, but I've been looking at a few sources:

http://www.partow.net/miscellaneous/airportdatabase/
https://openflights.org/data.html
http://ourairports.com/data/
https://github.com/datasets/airport-codes
https://aviation-edge.com/premium-api/

This one has a field for whether there is scheduled service to the airport (only about ~4000 out of 50,000 listed airports):
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KV-E_lk4dpj5-a

This was the only source I found that specifically addressed whether an airport was international or not, but it's not free:
http://shop.fsbureau.org/online/database

I don't know whether that helps, but I'm still looking.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Slightly off topic, but I wonder which airport with non-international status is the biggest on this planet? Somewhere China?
For one week, that is likely OSH (site of AirVenture) which no longer even has commercial service.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EAA_AirVenture_Oshkosh

Brian
Old 09-17-2018, 03:25 AM

I don't think I'll pursue this. The 50 largest airports include 15 in the USA, so that seems biased. Only 10,198 of the 41000+ airports listed at aviationfanatics.com have ICAO codes but that's still a lot, with no way to tell which airports are "large" or international. Anyway, judicious eyeballing of a globe color-coded with population density might give a close-enough answer for OP.

I did find a free-to-download list of cities at simplemaps.com, showing longitude, latitude and population for 10000+ cities (total population = 2.455 billion). That list might be useful for some purposes, though checking Thailand I notice that, in addition to provincial capitals it lists only six other cities and is thus missing several (including Pattaya!) that are much bigger than the smallest provincial capitals.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:54 AM

Septimus, if I provided a .txt file of international airports formatted like the list from The Global Airport Database, with fields separated by colons, would that be usable, or would you need some other format?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I was thinking of a city in the midwest, like Omaha or Tulsa. Omaha has a flight to Toronto, so that rules that out. But Tulsa flies to 21 cites, all in the USA.

https://www.tulsaairports.com/flight...-destinations/
Old 09-17-2018, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The answer's going to depend on what you mean by "biggest". But in terms of destinations & passenger numbers, I'll nominate Beijing Nanyuan Airport, the secondary airport for Beijing. It flies to 60+ destinations, all within the PRC, and handled nearly 6 million passengers in 2017.

ETA: Ooh, even better: Zhuhai airport, with 9.2 million passengers in 2017. Counting destinations is harder for this one since it's served by multiple airlines (Beijing Nayuan is only served by one.)

Last edited by MikeS; 09-17-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

And as far as airports within the US, the busiest without international service appears to be Dallas Love Field, with 7.9 million passengers in 2017. (Tulsa only has about 2.9 million.)

Last edited by MikeS; 09-17-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Septimus, if I provided a .txt file of international airports formatted like the list from The Global Airport Database, with fields separated by colons, would that be usable, or would you need some other format?
Following that link, I get a list of 9300 airports of which 447 have "INTERNATIONAL" in their name. Are those the airports you mean? I'll PM you my e-mail address in case you have a different list.

So, yes, I'll volunteer to locate the centralmost International airport! With all that infrastructure in place, are there any other suggestions for investigation? (Perhaps we could have a Traveling Salesman contest? )
Old 09-17-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Following that link, I get a list of 9300 airports of which 447 have "INTERNATIONAL" in their name. Are those the airports you mean?
I'm working on getting a more complete list, since not all internat'l airports have "International" in the name, but yes. I was mostly interested in whether the format was acceptable...
Old 09-17-2018, 02:39 PM

I think that format is better than most of the text formats I've been coping with these days. For example, with "Comma-separated values" files the first step is generally to remove the commas inside quote-marks!
Old 09-17-2018, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
not all internat'l airports have "International" in the name,
And not all that do have international service. But it's probably a reasonable correlation.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

I know that some airports are called "international", even though they don't have direct service to anywhere in a different nation. But they have some flights that go to some domestic destination, and then the same flight number continues on to Canada or something, so they're still considered the origin of an "international flight".
Old 09-18-2018, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Anyway, the winner has to be Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport, a dirt strip in Wyoming.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:07 PM

While waiting for the proper list, I wrote some code and tested it with the 447 airports named "International." Here are the results:

Centralest airport (Min sum dist^0.05) is in COLUMBUS
Centralest airport (Min sum dist^0.10) is in NASHVILLE
Centralest airport (Min sum dist^0.85) is in NASHVILLE
Centralest airport (Min sum dist^0.90) is in CINCINNATI
Centralest airport (Min sum dist^1.05) is in CINCINNATI
Centralest airport (Min sum dist^1.10) is in DAYTON
Centralest airport (Min sum dist^1.20) is in DAYTON
Centralest airport (Min sum dist^1.25) is in CLEVELAND
Centralest airport (Min sum dist^1.30) is in PORT HURON
Centralest airport (Min sum dist^4.95) is in PORT HURON

I don't know of any good reason not to just minimize sum dist^1; so Cincinatti is centralmost; but changing the exponent didn't cause the center to move much anyway.

29% of the "International" airports were in the USA, but when I eliminated ALL of those and reran the program the centralmost airport was still nearby: Montreal. (Or Bahamas or Cuba for exponent < 1.)

I fear results will be similar with the better list. To make evacuation plans we'll need to weight each airport by the population using it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The two "International" airports furthest apart are in Shanghai and Uruguay. Runner-up pairs include Taiwan-to-Paraguay, Venezuela-to-Bali, and Ecuador-to-Kuala Lumpur.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The two "International" airports furthest apart are in Shanghai and Uruguay. Runner-up pairs include Taiwan-to-Paraguay, Venezuela-to-Bali, and Ecuador-to-Kuala Lumpur.
When you get a full list, you'll probably find the furthest are Bermuda and Perth. Going by lat-long, they're closer to being antipodal than Shanghai-Uruguay. Perth's airport is just named Perth Airport, but it is an international.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Anyway, the winner has to be Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport, a dirt strip in Wyoming.
I was going to say Stransky International in Savanna, IL now called Tri-Township for some reason. Back in the 70's, a Canadian C-130 landed there to drop off and pick up some (can't tell you). It had to sit on the ground until a US Customs agent from the Quad Cities came up to inspect the cargo. Note: We added the, "International" ironically.

Last edited by smithsb; 09-18-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
When you get a full list, you'll probably find the furthest are Bermuda and Perth. Going by lat-long, they're closer to being antipodal than Shanghai-Uruguay. Perth's airport is just named Perth Airport, but it is an international.
I've got the full list now, and you're right — Perth-Bermuda are more distant than any of the airport pairs I mentioned earlier.

However Perth-Bermuda is only in 12th place:
01) 20003.5 is Distance from ESM (TACHINA,ECUADOR) to PDG (PADANG,INDONESIA)
02) 19978.7 is Distance from UIO (QUITO,ECUADOR) to PKU (PEKANBARU,INDONESIA)
03) 19974.7 is Distance from AQP (AREQUIPA,PERU) to DAD (DANANG,VIET NAM)
04) 19962.9 is Distance from RES (RESISTENCIA,ARGENTINA) to WNZ (WENZHOU,CHINA)
05) 19954.5 is Distance from MUB (MAUN,BOTSWANA) to KOA (KONA,USA)
06) 19950.2 is Distance from CUE (CUENCA,ECUADOR) to SZB (SUBANG,MALAYSIA)
07) 19941.8 is Distance from AGP (MALAGA,SPAIN) to AKL (AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND)
08) 19940.3 is Distance from SMR (SANTA MARTA,COLOMBIA) to XCH (CHRISTMAS ISLAND,CHRISTMAS ISLAND)
09) 19939.2 is Distance from SVQ (SEVILLA,SPAIN) to AKL (AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND)
00) 19938.7 is Distance from LCG (LA CORUNA,SPAIN) to CHC (CHRISTCHURCH,NEW ZEALAND)
11) 19938.6 is Distance from AQP (AREQUIPA,PERU) to HUI (HUE,VIET NAM)
12) 19938.2 is Distance from BDA (HAMILTON,BERMUDA) to PER (PERTH,AUSTRALIA)
I use 40030 km for the circumference of a spherical Earth, so ESM --> PDG is less than 12 km from being exactly antipodal.

There are ten international airport pairs within 20 km of each other:
19.7 is Distance from YTZ (TORONTO,CANADA) to YYZ (TORONTO,CANADA)
19.1 is Distance from SXM (PHILIPSBURG,ANTILLES) to AXA (THE VALLEY,ANGUILLA ISL.)
17.9 is Distance from SPN (SAIPAN,MARIANA ISLANDS) to TIN (WEST TINIAN,MARIANA ISLANDS)
17.7 is Distance from OAK (OAKLAND,USA) to SFO (SAN FRANCISCO,USA)
17.4 is Distance from DXB (DUBAI,UNITED ARAB EMIRATES) to SHJ (SHARJAH,UNITED ARAB EMIRATES)
17.2 is Distance from JFK (NEW YORK,USA) to LGA (NEW YORK,USA)
16.7 is Distance from PIE (ST. PETERSBURG,USA) to TPA (TAMPA,USA)
15.3 is Distance from IGR (IGUAZU FALLS,ARGENTINA) to IGU (IGUASSU FALLS,BRAZIL)
12.6 is Distance from AKR (AKRON,USA) to CAK (CANTON,USA)
9.0 is Distance from BFI (SEATTLE,USA) to SEA (SEATTLE,USA)
Old 09-19-2018, 07:50 AM

Maximum distance is minimized with GOJ (NIZHNY NOVGOROD,RUSSIA) which is only 16208.4 km from DUD (DUNEDIN,NEW ZEALAND). IOW, there are no international airports within 3800 km of the antipode of Nizhny Novgorod.

And my guess that the centralmost airport would still be in the USA with the full list of 1221 international airports was shown to be a laughable mistake:
Centralmost airport (Min sum dist^0.05) is KLU (KLAGENFURT,AUSTRIA)
Centralmost airport (Min sum dist^0.30) is KLU (KLAGENFURT,AUSTRIA)
Centralmost airport (Min sum dist^0.35) is GRZ (GRAZ,AUSTRIA)
Centralmost airport (Min sum dist^0.50) is GRZ (GRAZ,AUSTRIA)
Centralmost airport (Min sum dist^0.55) is VIE (VIENNA,AUSTRIA)
Centralmost airport (Min sum dist^0.75) is VIE (VIENNA,AUSTRIA)
Centralmost airport (Min sum dist^0.80) is BRQ (TURANY,CZECH REPUBLIC)
Centralmost airport (Min sum dist^0.95) is BRQ (TURANY,CZECH REPUBLIC)
Centralmost airport (Min sum dist^1.00) is OSR (OSTRAVA,CZECH REPUBLIC)
Centralmost airport (Min sum dist^1.10) is OSR (OSTRAVA,CZECH REPUBLIC)
Centralmost airport (Min sum dist^1.15) is KTW (KATOWICE,POLAND)
Centralmost airport (Min sum dist^1.20) is KTW (KATOWICE,POLAND)
Centralmost airport (Min sum dist^1.25) is LCJ (LODZ,POLAND)
Centralmost airport (Min sum dist^14.00) is LCJ (LODZ,POLAND)
As usual I show various exponents despite that there may be no good reason to minimize anything but Sum Distance itself (i.e. to use exponent 1).

Too bad OSTRAVA noses out its 209 km-distant neighbor Vienna. It would have seemed nifty if the centralmost airport were at the fabled capital of the great Habsburg Empire!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:33 AM

septimus, thanks again for doing the math on this. It looks like Ostrava is our winner!

Now that that question is answered, I'm wondering about what the spread of the, say, ten or hundred runners-up looks like. Is there a big difference in sum-of-distances, or are they all within a fraction of a percent? Are the top 50 or whatever all clustered around Ostrava, or is the distribution quantized somehow? What about some of the old favorites for the center-of-the-world, like Giza or Jerusalem - how far out of the running are they?
Old 09-19-2018, 10:01 AM

Inside the spoiler are the ten best average distances, the ten worst and in rank order, every tenth airport in between.
SPOILER:

1: 5728.1 @@ OSR (OSTRAVA,CZECH REPUBLIC)
2: 5728.6 @@ BRQ (TURANY,CZECH REPUBLIC)
3: 5728.7 @@ ILZ (ZILINA,SLOVAKIA)
4: 5729.2 @@ PZY (PIESTANY,SLOVAKIA)
5: 5730.0 @@ PED (PARDUBICE,CZECH REPUBLIC)
6: 5730.5 @@ KTW (KATOWICE,POLAND)
7: 5730.5 @@ SLD (SLIAC,SLOVAKIA)
8: 5730.8 @@ BTS (BRATISLAVA,SLOVAKIA)
9: 5731.1 @@ KRK (KRAKOW,POLAND)
10: 5731.5 @@ VIE (VIENNA,AUSTRIA)
20: 5739.7 @@ POZ (POZNAN,POLAND)
30: 5745.5 @@ LUZ (SWIDNIK,POLAND)
40: 5751.4 @@ ZAG (ZAGREB,CROATIA)
50: 5761.5 @@ FMM (MEMMINGERBERG,GERMANY)
60: 5769.6 @@ PUY (PULA,CROATIA)
70: 5777.8 @@ FKB (RHEINMUNSTER,GERMANY)
80: 5785.7 @@ VBS (MONTICHIARI,ITALY)
90: 5791.4 @@ BLQ (BOLOGNA,ITALY)
100: 5799.2 @@ MSQ (MINSK 2,BELARUS)
110: 5804.8 @@ FLR (FIRENZE,ITALY)
120: 5811.8 @@ RIX (RIGA,LATVIA)
130: 5818.3 @@ AMS (AMSTERDAM,NETHERLANDS)
140: 5827.7 @@ CUF (LEVALDIGI,ITALY)
150: 5837.8 @@ CIA (ROME,ITALY)
160: 5850.8 @@ NAP (NAPLES,ITALY)
170: 5860.2 @@ KRS (KRISTIANSAND,NORWAY)
180: 5874.8 @@ TLN (HYERES,FRANCE)
190: 5883.3 @@ OSL (OSLO,NORWAY)
200: 5893.6 @@ LTN (LONDON,ENGLAND)
210: 5907.1 @@ LIG (LIMOGES,FRANCE)
220: 5916.3 @@ LPP (LAPPEENRANTA,FINLAND)
230: 5928.6 @@ JKH (CHIOS,GREECE)
240: 5938.3 @@ CAG (CAGLIARI,ITALY)
250: 5948.1 @@ CTA (CATANIA,ITALY)
260: 5955.1 @@ GRO (GERONA,SPAIN)
270: 5973.7 @@ SZF (SAMSUN,TURKEY)
280: 5985.9 @@ PIK (PRESTWICK,UK)
290: 6001.3 @@ NAV (NEVSEHIR,TURKEY)
300: 6009.1 @@ DUB (DUBLIN,IRELAND)
310: 6027.2 @@ NBE (ENFIDHA,TUNISIA)
320: 6054.3 @@ KUT (KUTAISI,GEORGIA)
330: 6066.4 @@ SNN (SHANNON,IRELAND)
340: 6092.4 @@ ECN (TYMVOU,CYPRUS)
350: 6107.1 @@ OVD (AVILES,SPAIN)
360: 6132.0 @@ EVN (YEREVAN,ARMENIA)
370: 6153.0 @@ CFK (ECH-CHELIFF,ALGERIA)
380: 6184.9 @@ GBB (QABALA,AZERBAIJAN)
390: 6215.3 @@ UFA (UFA,RUSSIA)
400: 6244.7 @@ AMM (AMMAN,JORDAN)
410: 6277.0 @@ N/A (NADOR,MOROCCO)
420: 6321.4 @@ KRW (KRASNOVODSK,TURKMENISTAN)
430: 6376.5 @@ SSH (SHARM EL SHEIKH,EGYPT)
440: 6422.9 @@ HMB (SOHAG,EGYPT)
450: 6542.8 @@ ASW (ASWAN,EGYPT)
460: 6640.9 @@ SYZ (SHIRAZ,IRAN)
470: 6726.6 @@ FNC (MADEIRA,PORTUGAL)
480: 6804.9 @@ PZU (PORT SUDAN,SUDAN)
490: 6848.4 @@ JAV (JAKOBSHAVN,GREENLAND)
500: 6893.9 @@ GOH (GODTHAAB,GREENLAND)
510: 6960.8 @@ KRT (KHARTOUM,SUDAN)
520: 7046.7 @@ ASM (ASMARA,ETHIOPIA)
530: 7155.8 @@ RYK (RAHIM YAR KHAN,PAKISTAN)
540: 7234.1 @@ YYT (ST. JOHN'S,CANADA)
550: 7352.3 @@ DEL (DELHI,INDIA)
560: 7452.3 @@ TML (TAMALE,GHANA)
570: 7552.4 @@ DSS (BLAISE DIAGNE,SENEGAL)
580: 7592.6 @@ BHO (BHOPAL,INDIA)
590: 7657.6 @@ ACC (ACCRA,GHANA)
600: 7704.2 @@ CKY (CONAKRY,GHANA)
610: 7773.6 @@ PWM (PORTLAND,USA)
620: 7833.6 @@ ROB (MONROVIA,LIBERIA)
630: 7891.0 @@ BDL (WINDSOR LOCKS,USA)
640: 7941.8 @@ SWF (NEWBURGH,USA)
650: 7995.6 @@ YTZ (TORONTO,CANADA)
660: 8042.2 @@ BQS (BLAGOVESCHENSK,RUSSIA)
670: 8108.9 @@ PNR (POINTE-NOIRE,CONGO)
680: 8135.8 @@ PEK (BEIJING,CHINA)
690: 8183.3 @@ CCJ (CALICUT,INDIA)
700: 8224.4 @@ LYA (LUOYANG,CHINA)
710: 8278.9 @@ MDL (MANDALAY,MYANMAR)
720: 8308.1 @@ MSP (MINNEAPOLIS,USA)
730: 8345.0 @@ LAD (LUANDA,ANGOLA)
740: 8393.0 @@ NYT (NAY PYI TAW,MYANMAR)
750: 8451.0 @@ FNJ (PYONGYANG,KOREA)
760: 8516.1 @@ YYC (CALGARY,CANADA)
770: 8546.4 @@ GMP (SEOUL,KOREA)
780: 8590.5 @@ MCI (KANSAS CITY,USA)
790: 8636.3 @@ HAN (HANOI,VIET NAM)
800: 8684.7 @@ MHH (MARSH HARBOR,BAHAMAS)
810: 8718.1 @@ SDD (LUBANGO,ANGOLA)
820: 8736.4 @@ LUN (LUSAKA,ZAMBIA)
830: 8758.3 @@ GEG (SPOKANE,USA)
840: 8790.3 @@ SJU (SAN JUAN,PUERTO RICO)
850: 8814.1 @@ BLZ (BLANTYRE,MALAWI)
860: 8841.6 @@ DEN (DENVER,USA)
870: 8857.9 @@ MFM (MACAU,MACAU)
880: 8880.6 @@ BBK (KASANE,BOTSWANA)
890: 8897.2 @@ SDQ (SANTO DOMINGO,DOMINICAN REPUBLIC)
900: 8934.9 @@ SDJ (SENDAI,JAPAN)
910: 8966.6 @@ PAP (PORT-AU-PRINCE,HAITI)
920: 8994.5 @@ RMQ (CHINGCHUAKANG,TAIWAN)
930: 9029.1 @@ HAV (HAVANA,CUBA)
940: 9079.2 @@ URT (SURAT THANI,THAILAND)
950: 9139.4 @@ KIN (KINGSTON,JAMAICA)
960: 9217.9 @@ TMM (TOAMASINA,MADAGASCAR)
970: 9250.7 @@ VCA (CANTHO,VIET NAM)
980: 9317.6 @@ REC (RECIFE,BRAZIL)
990: 9379.7 @@ MID (MERIDA,MEXICO)
1000: 9425.1 @@ IPH (IPOH,MALAYSIA)
1010: 9485.6 @@ SLW (SALTILLO,MEXICO)
1020: 9546.8 @@ RTB (ROATAN,HONDURAS)
1030: 9584.2 @@ CME (CIUDAD DEL CARMEN,MEXICO)
1040: 9675.0 @@ SLP (SAN LUIS POTOSI,MEXICO)
1050: 9707.5 @@ TGU (TEGUCIGALPA,HONDURAS)
1060: 9757.9 @@ PTY (PANAMA CITY,PANAMA)
1070: 9808.5 @@ SAL (SAN SALVADOR,EL SALVADOR)
1080: 9866.3 @@ MAO (MANAUS,BRAZIL)
1090: 9913.2 @@ PVR (PUERTO VALLARTA,MEXICO)
1100: 10069.6 @@ CEB (CEBU,PHILIPPINES)
1110: 10279.9 @@ ESM (TACHINA,ECUADOR)
1120: 10380.2 @@ BDJ (BANJARMASIN,INDONESIA)
1130: 10487.7 @@ GYE (GUAYAQUIL,ECUADOR)
1140: 10666.9 @@ CGR (CAMPO GRANDE,BRAZIL)
1150: 10933.5 @@ HNL (HONOLULU,USA)
1160: 11042.8 @@ AQP (AREQUIPA,PERU)
1170: 11415.7 @@ PDP (PUNTA DEL ESTE,URUGUAY)
1180: 11843.1 @@ TRW (TARAWA,KIRIBATI)
1190: 12230.5 @@ TSV (TOWNSVILLE,AUSTRALIA)
1200: 12837.2 @@ OOL (COOLANGATTA,AUSTRALIA)
1210: 13158.5 @@ VAV (VAVA'U,TONGA)
1211: 13184.2 @@ HBA (HOBART,AUSTRALIA)
1212: 13188.9 @@ PPT (PAPE'92ETE,TAHITI)
1213: 13231.2 @@ HUE (ALOFI,NEW ZEALAND)
1214: 13275.2 @@ TBU (TONGATAPU,TONGA)
1215: 13287.8 @@ NLK (NORFOLK ISLAND,AUSTRALIA)
1216: 13398.5 @@ RAR (AVARUA,COOK ISLANDS)
1217: 13766.6 @@ AKL (AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND)
1218: 13819.8 @@ ZQN (QUEENSTOWN INTERNATIONAL,NEW ZEALAND)
1219: 13874.2 @@ DUD (DUNEDIN,NEW ZEALAND)
1220: 13886.9 @@ CHC (CHRISTCHURCH,NEW ZEALAND)
1221: 13892.7 @@ WLG (WELLINGTON,NEW ZEALAND)

(It suddenly occurs to me that, while the earlier list was biased toward USA, this list is biased toward Europe because of the small areal sizes of Europe's countries — most airports will be International airports!)
Old 09-19-2018, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

It also occurs to me that using "international" in the name would naturally bias the answer towards the US, because it assumes airports named in English.