Old 09-18-2018, 10:29 AM

My thanks to the people on this thread, too. I'm going to be driving from Springfield, VA to Lakeland, FL before the end of the year. Your tips were helpful for me, too.

Thanks again,
M.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:56 AM

And when you're at some interstate gas stop, with your out-of-state plates, getting gas, and some nice man comes up and says how he needs to get his sick kid to the hospital, and he was in such a hurry to leave he forgot his wallet, and his car doesn't have any gas in it, and he needs just a little money for gas, and then he can get his mother to pay you back, and oh please won't you help this nice man god bless?

Laugh in his face at such a poor con, and tell him to get new material.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 09-18-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:31 PM

On a practical Note.

Buy a phone charger that plugs into your car's cigarette lighter/accessory jack. They're about $20 and you'll need it. Especially if you're using your phone to navigate. A dead phone means no Google Maps and that's not a good thing on a trip.

Keep a roll of toilet paper in the car. For the times when a urgent roadside bush is your only choice.

I also recommend buying a Rand McNally Road Atlas. Don't completely rely on your phone to navigate. There's a lot of places without cell service in wilderness areas.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-18-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Be aware of where the major cities are along your route and what time of day you'll be driving near them. You should try to avoid driving too near a city during its rush hour traffic. During rush hour, you will generally save time by taking a longer expressway that goes around the outskirts of a city rather than taking the shorter expressway that goes through the middle of it.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Be aware of where the major cities are along your route and what time of day you'll be driving near them. You should try to avoid driving too near a city during its rush hour traffic. During rush hour, you will generally save time by taking a longer expressway that goes around the outskirts of a city rather than taking the shorter expressway that goes through the middle of it.
A good one. I can relate - recently arriving on southbound I-5 at Portland, OR and not understanding that the highway signs were telling me the ring-road (I-205?) was going to be 20 min faster to the other side of the metro compared to going thru downtown.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
A good one. I can relate - recently arriving on southbound I-5 at Portland, OR and not understanding that the highway signs were telling me the ring-road (I-205?) was going to be 20 min faster to the other side of the metro compared to going thru downtown.
Or Houston, to give another example. 10 might look like a perfect route for somebody traveling west to east. But at certain times of day, it can take you an hour to drive ten miles on that expressway. You'd be better off going north of the city and taking 105.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Or Houston, to give another example. 10 might look like a perfect route for somebody traveling west to east. But at certain times of day, it can take you an hour to drive ten miles on that expressway. You'd be better off going north of the city and taking 105.
Made that mistake going through Atlanta... once. Lesson learned.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:51 PM

Ok, I've decided I'm going to do it. Here's my first plan:

I'm going to spend my last night in Clovis, Ca.

Clovis to Kingman, AZ
Kingman to Deming NM
Deming to Ozona, TX
Ozona to Lake Charles LA
Lake Charles to Destin, FL
Destin to Tampa.

What do you guys think about this route? Suggestions welcome.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

All the legs are definitely doable. On the day from Deming to Ozona it is only 1 hour out of the way to take 62 from El Paso toward Carlsbad to see the Caverns and/or Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Guadalupe is worth it to stop at on the way if you're going to Carlsbad just to look at the splendid wilderness of mountains as it is right by the highway and free to enter and park. (There are trails there too but none that I have found worthwhile unless you are committed to summiting a ridge.)
Old 09-19-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
Deming to Ozona, TX
The Deming->Ozona part is going to be pretty dull. For that part, I would instead recommend

Deming->Alamorgodo (White Sands)->Abilene (lots of windmills).

You can add in Carlsbad if you want to see an astounding cave, but you should plan spending at least 1/2 a day there. It's really big.

Then from Abilene, head down towards Austin. Take 84 to 183 to 290 and into Houston. This route will take you through the Texas Hill Country. Then 10 to Lake Charles.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:00 PM

I would only mention that Destin is a tourist town and a pricey one at that. But if your choices are Crestview, Niceville or Destin, the safest and most attractive of those is Destin. If you're taking the toll bridge onto Destin the view is gorgeous!

A good thing once you hit the Florida line is the Publix chain of grocery stores. They have a wonderful and fresh deli section plus a place to sit down and eat. Their sub sandwiches are renowned, but I've never been disappointed in any food I bought there. So if you find yourself peckish in Florida but short on time, look for a Publix on your way.
I'm a middle-aged woman who's driven cross country twice (while towing a trailer!) and I didn't have a lick of trouble. I hope you have a great time!
Old 09-19-2018, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Fill up in Tulare, or there abouts. You may not need gas, but from near Bakersfield to Barstow, gas is expensive, and stations can be miles apart.

If you come in to Barstow on 58, get on I-15 north to I-40 to Kingman, you won’t see an exit to get gas. From 58, take I-15 south about a mile. There you will find stations aplenty, and about the cheapest until you get to Kingman.

While on 58, you will pass the Tehachapi loop (if you’re a railroad buff) and on up to Tehachapi. It’s a steep grade, but don’t let it scare you. In Tehachapi is a fairly good BBQ place, The Red Door, if you’re in the mood for lunch. If you want to wait until Barstow, look for Peggy Sue’s - the food is OK, but the decor is fun.

If you want to call ahead for a hotel, stay at the Quality Inn in Kingman and ask for the ‘Martin Milner’ room, as in ‘Martin Milner slept here’. You may remember him from the old TV shows ‘Route 66’ and ‘Adam-12’, as well as a coupla times on ‘Dragnet’. It’s a basic hotel, but it’s clean, and has a fairly good free breakfast. If you want to splurge on a room, you can book the Andy Devine suite - he slept there too. It’s not much of a suite, really just an over-sized room. If you’re there for dinner, there’s a good BBQ place in town, but I can’t remember the name - ask the desk clerk.

I’ve been to Deming once some years ago, and I don’t remember it being much of a place. Consider driving a bit further to Las Cruces.

Otherwise, not much to add. When I go coast to coast, I have a choice of I-70/I-80 or I-40. I like I-40, because the food is better (BBQ and Tex-Mex, and onion burgers in Oklahoma), but I-70/I-80 is about 150 miles shorter, and has long stretches of 80 MPH in Wyoming and Utah. My I-40 travels is how I know the Bakersfield to Kingman route.

In fact, I depart Friday for the far coast. But I’m going east to west, so I’ll wave if we pass.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
What do you guys think about this route? Suggestions welcome.
If you're driving through Lafayette, Louisiana around a meal time, I recommend Prejean's. It's touristy but the food is excellent.