Old 06-12-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
A reporter asked Trump if he had any notes from his meeting with Kim to refer back to, and he said he didn't need notes because he has one of the greatest memories of all time
http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...e-of-the-great
With nothing concrete in writing, he is free to declare "winning" no matter what happens. Also, it means there will be no written connections between this "summit" and any new Trump condos and hotels in NK.

Between the G7 fiasco and this, how can anyone not see how he has sold us all (us and our former allies) out again for his own pathetic ego and money chasing? He is fucking disgusting.

Putin gets everything he ever wanted, Rocket Man gets the sanctions lifted and SK gets sold up the river.

The art of the deal. Once again, everyone gets fucked. While the Cheeto lines his pockets.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I have seldom felt less sympathy for someone seriously ill. He really came across as a psychotic fascist last weekend.
My feelings too. The whole rotten psychopathic bunch need to go. Medical causes is good enough for me. Lightning strikes would be better.

A bunch of traitors, aiding and abetting another traitor, all in the service of Putin.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
#Winning?
Just another act of treason.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Trump said that North Korea has great beaches. Looks like he's scouting for new spots for Trump Beach Hotels.
All that de-nuclearization / military exercises stuff is just getting in the way of what преЦАРдент Trump really wants - the hotelz shit.

Anyway, so he's now off to...Moscow, then? Then Ankara? Then Riyadh?
Oh I guess we might as well throw Rome in there, now.

ETA - gotta get that quadruple er I mean quintuple axis goin, there.

G-5 vs. G-6?

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 06-12-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:51 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
With nothing concrete in writing, he is free to declare "winning" no matter what happens. Also, it means there will be no written connections between this "summit" and any new Trump condos and hotels in NK.

Between the G7 fiasco and this, how can anyone not see how he has sold us all (us and our former allies) out again for his own pathetic ego and money chasing? He is fucking disgusting.

Putin gets everything he ever wanted, Rocket Man gets the sanctions lifted and SK gets sold up the river.

The art of the deal. Once again, everyone gets fucked. While the Cheeto lines his pockets.
Well, there is something Occupy White House signed, along with KJU. The problem is that OWH doesn't seem to get that Congress has to approve treaties.

We no longer have any allies. And, no, the People's Republic of China and the Russian Federation do not count as allies.

Trumpeters will continue to support OWH, all the while reciting their mantra: "He's not Hillary. He's not Hillary. He's not Hillary." (I just like the instrumental music to go along with that mantra.)

Last edited by Monty; 06-12-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:13 PM

When does Trump Pyongyang hotel open? Does he know that Ketchup is banned??
Old 06-13-2018, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Didn't I see that video in Starship Troopers, one of the propaganda sequences?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Somebody really likes clouds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Checks were issued to make that, checks were cashed. Roger Corman could have done better for a couple hundred bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
Mao on a pogo stick, that "trailer" was such low budget dreck. Reminds me of high school kids trying to imitate an HP or Microsoft "making the world a better place" type video. The production value on that was such shit, but I'm sure a "friend of Donald" or a spouse "of a cabinet secretary" got beaucoup bucks to make it.
It was the equivalent to starting a Great Debate with a link to a (really vacuous) YouTube video.

Last edited by voltaire; 06-13-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
It's simple. Loser Donald's only source of information about the world is watching TV, so he assumes that all other world leaders also get all their info from TV. Therefore, he figures that Trudeau thinks he'd never hear about the speech, because he'd be on a plane with no TVs.
He's like Chauncey Gardner's evil twin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
Trump looking to erect tent cities to house unaccompanied children.

So, now he's going to concentrate children in camps. Wonderful.

I'm sure his followers will cheer as the children die of heat and dehydration.
Only a few weeks ago a certain right-wing Dopers genuinely asked [I'm paraphrasing from memory here] "If Trump is a fascist, where are the camps?". I wasn't expecting the administration to provide a response quite so quickly...
Old 06-13-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
It's simple. Loser Donald's only source of information about the world is watching TV, so he assumes that all other world leaders also get all their info from TV. Therefore, he figures that Trudeau thinks he'd never hear about the speech, because he'd be on a plane with no TVs.
Note that he also seems to have missed the advent of VCRs and other technologies which allow you to watch something after it's been broadcast. He probably heard of youtube at some point but doesn't understand what it is.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:02 AM

An interesting article by the New Yorker about Kaiser Wilhelm II, with some interesting parallels to Trump.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...runs-an-empire
Old 06-13-2018, 08:29 AM

Another excellent New Yorker article recently is about the administration's total and complete tumbelweedifying of Washington's bureaucracy, on par with last year's comprehensively unsettling Micheal Lewis Vanity Fair article with a lede about the dept. of energy, but then delved into a huge laundry list of all the administrative pieces falling in Washington.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 06-13-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

ABC News is reporting that Cohen is likely to cooperate.
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/trump-...mpression=true
Quote:
As attorneys for Michael Cohen rush to meet Judge Kimba Wood’s Friday deadline to complete a privilege review of over 3.7 million documents seized in the April 9 raids of Cohen’s New York properties and law office, a source representing this matter has disclosed to ABC News that the law firm handling the case for Cohen is not expected to represent him going forward.
Cohen, now with no legal representation, is likely to cooperate with federal prosecutors in New York, sources said.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Trump said that North Korea has great beaches. Looks like he's scouting for new spots for Trump Beach Hotels.
My wife told me about that last night, that they had talked about the potential for resort areas in NK. I'm quite sure this was Kim manipulating Trump, feeding his giant ego by making him think that Kim thinks he has expertise in creating resort areas. One thing for sure is that Kim did his homework, and we know that Trump did none.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
I had the same reaction. Trump's tone conveys this bizarre sense of triumph, as if he had outsmarted Trudeau. 'Trudeau had NO IDEA that the televised news conference might be seen by me!!!!!!1!!!!'

It's evidence of Trump's mental illness. There's no other explanation. Obviously, no sane person could believe that a televised news conference is a good place to say things you don't want to be heard. But Trump seems to genuinely think that Trudeau believed his remarks would remain secret. More importantly, Trump seems unaware of how deranged this makes him look.

(It's another in the long list of things that Trump's fans just can't spin. Their only recourse is to change the subject.)

Trump's rant can be heard on the CBS This Morning Twitter feed:
https://twitter.com/CBSThisMorning/s...60793288880134

Holy fuck! It just never ends. I wish the moron would just disappear down a black hole. But then I would feel sorry for the black hole....
Old 06-13-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
He probably doesn't have much choice. Assuming he's had some shady deals (far fetched, I know) there has to be a ton of evidence they found.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
He probably doesn't have much choice. Assuming he's had some shady deals (far fetched, I know) there has to be a ton of evidence they found.
You think that the idea that Cohen has had shady deals is farfetched?
Old 06-13-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Ivanka tweeted her fortune cookie from last night’s Chinese takeout, and got called on it.
And now they have outsourced Mark Twain to China
Old 06-13-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
An interesting article by the New Yorker about Kaiser Wilhelm II, with some interesting parallels to Trump.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...runs-an-empire
Wilhelm died almost exactly 5 years before Trump was born. Anyone here know how long it takes to reincarnate? (with possibly an intervening stint as a dung beetle)
Old 06-13-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Only a few weeks ago a certain right-wing Dopers genuinely asked [I'm paraphrasing from memory here] "If Trump is a fascist, where are the camps?". I wasn't expecting the administration to provide a response quite so quickly...
In terms of incarceration rates, the USA is the worst in the world, and is the only first world nation with a civillian death penalty.

The USA is the world's hegemonic military power and is the wealthiest first world nation, but it is not even close to being the "home of the free."

Where are the camps? Have a look at your prisons and jails and prisoners' graves.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Note that he also seems to have missed the advent of VCRs and other technologies which allow you to watch something after it's been broadcast. He probably heard of youtube at some point but doesn't understand what it is.
Actually he once had a vlog on youtube. It's now deleted, because the content is f-ing embarassing, but some people have it all downloaded and occasionally use a clip for "Trump is stupid" commentary.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to get my head around the process that would lead him to believe that Trudeau was unaware that Trump would hear his highly publicized speech criticizing Trump's bullying behavior.
Everything trump has said and done suggests that he thinks if you're not caught in the act, you're not caught at all. That's why he can call fake news even if there's footage, it just doesn't count.
Same thing with those papers that he rips apart. If they're taped back together the text in them somehow doesn't prove anything anymore.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Dude. You're like, old and stuff.

You, too, if you get the reference.
It was then that he noticed that the Thing in the room with him consisted of a mass of hideously twisting tentacles and pseudopods, writhing in all directions, each of them an unworldly shade of green or yellow, with a nacreous glossy sheen.
---The Call of Chihuli
Old 06-13-2018, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
You, too, if you get the reference.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:49 AM

Just another bit of wonderfulness out of Singapore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condo Salesman-in-Chief
“They have great beaches. You see that whenever they're exploding their cannons into the ocean. I said boy look at that, wouldn’t that make a great condo,” he said at a news conference after the summit in Singapore on Tuesday.
"Exploding their cannons"? I think exploding cannons was a real problem during the Napoleonic Wars. He may have been trying to say "launching artillery".

Our Commander-in-Chief, ladies and gentlemen.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
Actually he once had a vlog on youtube. It's now deleted, because the content is f-ing embarassing, but some people have it all downloaded and occasionally use a clip for "Trump is stupid" commentary.
Cracked's Cody Johnston did a public service last year and watched ALL of them: Why Does Nobody Know About Trump's Vlog.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtC View Post
My wife told me about that last night, that they had talked about the potential for resort areas in NK. I'm quite sure this was Kim manipulating Trump, feeding his giant ego by making him think that Kim thinks he has expertise in creating resort areas. One thing for sure is that Kim did his homework, and we know that Trump did none.
"Dear Leader, you're not gonna believe this guy when you actually sit down with him."
Old 06-13-2018, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Donald Trump single-handedly eradicates North Korea's nuclear capability overnight and you libtards are still whinging about penny-ante shit? Look, I was skeptical about him too at first, but I'm a big enough man to admit when I'm wrong.

Donald— Mr. President— I was a fool to ever doubt you. If you can find it in your heart to ever forgive me...
Old 06-13-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Wilhelm died almost exactly 5 years before Trump was born. Anyone here know how long it takes to reincarnate? (with possibly an intervening stint as a dung beetle)
Seems unlikely. I mean, how badly can a dung beetle fuck up during its life to deserve coming back as Donald Trump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Just another bit of wonderfulness out of Singapore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condo Salesman-in-Chief
“They have great beaches. You see that whenever they're exploding their cannons into the ocean. I said boy look at that, wouldn’t that make a great condo,” he said at a news conference after the summit in Singapore on Tuesday.
"Exploding their cannons"? I think exploding cannons was a real problem during the Napoleonic Wars. He may have been trying to say "launching artillery".

Our Commander-in-Chief, ladies and gentlemen.
I've gotten tongue tied a few times in my life and said the wrong thing. I tend to be pretty forgiving of malapropisms and other verbal slips.

But what the fuck is wrong with the leader of the free world when he looks at an oppressive regime showing off their military hardware and thinks "real estate"? That is messed up.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Seems unlikely. I mean, how badly can a dung beetle fuck up during its life to deserve coming back as Donald Trump?
Yeah, I feel like I still have quite a bit of leeway.

Y'know, I really really didn't want a President Pence, but I'm warming up to the idea as of late.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Well, there is something Occupy White House signed, along with KJU. The problem is that OWH doesn't seem to get that Congress has to approve treaties.

We no longer have any allies. And, no, the People's Republic of China and the Russian Federation do not count as allies.

Trumpeters will continue to support OWH, all the while reciting their mantra: "He's not Hillary. He's not Hillary. He's not Hillary." (I just like the instrumental music to go along with that mantra.)
For some reason, I find myself singing that to "Here comes Santa Claus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
In terms of incarceration rates, the USA is the worst in the world, and is the only first world nation with a civillian death penalty.

The USA is the world's hegemonic military power and is the wealthiest first world nation, but it is not even close to being the "home of the free."

Where are the camps? Have a look at your prisons and jails and prisoners' graves.
We even have the showers.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Does Japan not have a civilian death penalty?
Old 06-13-2018, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Japan: 2 or 3 executions a year.

United States: 23 in 2017, 11 so far in 2018
Old 06-13-2018, 02:16 PM

Trump's 2020 campaign manager, Brad Parscale, calls for CNN's Jim Acosta's press credentials to be revoked.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...0adfb826f7de4?
Old 06-13-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Trump's 2020 campaign manager, Brad Parscale, calls for CNN's Jim Acosta's press credentials to be revoked.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...0adfb826f7de4?
I don't understand this one. If the White House wants to remove White House Press access, don't they have that right?
Old 06-13-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
You think that the idea that Cohen has had shady deals is farfetched?
Your sarcasm detector needs to be checked.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
We even have the showers.

That, being one seemingly isolated (though tragic) shower incident, is nothing.

Currently, the United States of America has the kind of "showers" that are just a ploy to routinely separate children from their parents:
Aleman-Bendiks, the public defender, said several of her clients have told her their children were taken from them by Border Patrol agents who said they were going to give them a bath. As the hours passed, it dawned on the mothers the kids were not coming back.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nat...jAO/story.html

That's what we've sunk to.

Last edited by voltaire; 06-13-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post

While it's good that you point this out, it should be noted that America has had the world's highest incarceration rate a lot longer than Trump has been president. If this is evidence of his fascism, then it's the same evidence for many previous presidents.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Japan: 2 or 3 executions a year.

United States: 23 in 2017, 11 so far in 2018
Yeah, but not what was asked.

Is the US the only first world country with a civilian death penalty or isn’t it?
Old 06-13-2018, 05:43 PM

Also, the Japanese for "plea bargain" is seppuku.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Define "cooperate".

He's shopping for a "deal".

"Cooperate" can mean anything.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I don't understand this one. If the White House wants to remove White House Press access, don't they have that right?
People have "rights".

Government has "authority" or "power."

Never, ever confuse the two.

Ever.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Does Japan not have a civilian death penalty?
It's been a while since I kept up with Japanese justice, but the death penalty in Japan is just as wicked as it is here. IIRC, the condemned don't know when they're going to the gallows; they're just taken one random day or night and hanged. Maybe things have changed.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 PM

Trump says Congress can't overturn his decision to remove sanctions from ZTE because of separation of powers. I don't understand his reasoning, but then I doubt if anybody else can either.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...nctions-623700
Old 06-13-2018, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
People have "rights".

Government has "authority" or "power."

Never, ever confuse the two.

Ever.
You're not the boss of me.

Rights Power Rights Power Pights Rower Powts Righer
Old 06-13-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Just as @PotUS (whatever it might be named) does not really have the right to block troublesome followers, the WH is not a private or semi-private HQ. It might be reasonable to bar a reporter for just cause (like, that guy from The Daily al Qaeda or the reporter who blasts his bugle every time HBeast tried to talk), but that a reporter who writes aggravating copy is not just cause, it is “just, uh, cuz”.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:38 PM

Mike Pence, the largest tool/fool in this administration is called out for using most of his speech time at an evangelical conference by talking about how great the Orange Mess is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from article
"Thank you @VP for hijacking our united religious meeting with you(r) partisan political campaign speech," wrote Todd Benkert on Twitter. "You had an opportunity to offer a unifying non-partisan message but no."

Before Pence's speech, several Southern Baptists proposed removing it from the meeting's program and replacing it with a time for prayer or sermon. Those proposals were soundly defeated, but it became clear that many Southern Baptists, particularly people of color and younger members, were put off by the decision to allow Pence a platform at what's supposed to be a nonpolitical event.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
That, being one seemingly isolated (though tragic) shower incident, is nothing.

Currently, the United States of America has the kind of "showers" that are just a ploy to routinely separate children from their parents:
Aleman-Bendiks, the public defender, said several of her clients have told her their children were taken from them by Border Patrol agents who said they were going to give them a bath. As the hours passed, it dawned on the mothers the kids were not coming back.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nat...jAO/story.html

That's what we've sunk to.
Right after that, it says,
Children face even more challenges in finding their parents. Many of the youngest ones aren’t even verbal, leaving case managers to try to put together the pieces.
That is fucking unforgivable.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Just as @PotUS (whatever it might be named) does not really have the right to block troublesome followers, the WH is not a private or semi-private HQ. It might be reasonable to bar a reporter for just cause (like, that guy from The Daily al Qaeda or the reporter who blasts his bugle every time HBeast tried to talk), but that a reporter who writes aggravating copy is not just cause, it is “just, uh, cuz”.
Sure, but there has got to be some sort of procedure for granting or revoking White House press passes. Not everyone who wants one gets it, do they?
Old 06-13-2018, 07:07 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Sarah Sanders, Raj Shah planning to depart the White House
Quote:
Press secretary Sarah Sanders and principal deputy press secretary Raj Shah are both heading for the exits, according to sources inside the White House and close to the administration. Sanders, who has become a confidante of President Trump since the departure of former communications director Hope Hicks, has told friends that she plans to leave the administration at the end of the year.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:16 PM

What have we come to as a country? Ripping a child away from her mother while she is breastfeeding? How can this be excused?