Old 05-18-2018, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
A federal judge ruled that ICE was lying when it tried to deport a Dreamer, claiming his DACA status was void because he was a gang member. He wasn't.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ffiliated.html
Just goes to show that ICE cannot be trusted.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Aye aye, Captain! <snappy salute>

While you're in Florida, suggest you set a bag of dog shit on fire on the front porch at Mar-a-Lago, ring the doorbell, and then run like hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
Eh, don't have to run too hard. It's not like Trump or his boys can waddle that fast. Maybe "and then onchalantly walk like hell".
No, go ahead and run. When they overtake you, tell them you were chasing after the suspicious-looking character you saw running down the driveway, but you lost him. If they ask you what he looked like, give a description of Eric.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:04 PM

Oh dear lord. If black people started calling the police and reporting a suspicious person every time they saw Eric Trump, it would be hilarious.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Oh dear lord. If black people started calling the police and reporting a suspicious person every time they saw Eric Trump, it would be hilarious.
Eric and Don Jr. rarely, if ever, go anyplace where they might mingle with...them...you know...(hushed voice) the darkies.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Trump tried to order the USPS to double Amazon's rates.
Well, we knew that Amazon wasn't one of the companies that sent a bribe consulting fee to Cohen, so this isn't a surprise.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:21 PM

Here ya go, Vlad. (Reuters)

Quote:
The Trump administration has withdrawn all assistance from northwest Syria, CBS News reported on Friday, a move it said demonstrated that the United States intends to leave Syria quickly once Islamic State is fully defeated.

Citing unnamed administration officials, CBS said tens of millions of dollars will be cut from previous U.S.-backed efforts including projects for “countering violent extremism, supporting independent society and independent media, strengthening education, and advocating for community policing.”
Old 05-18-2018, 08:55 PM

Gosh, what possible problems could there be with arming militants against their government, declaring victory and walking away?
Old 05-18-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Of all the idiotic things Trump does because he can't seem to understand that the law isn't whatever he happens to want to do at a given moment, this has to be one of the, er, idiotest. Is there not a slight issue of First Amendment rights here? Is the fucking moron not aware that the Post Office has (well, presumably) written contracts with its large shippers? Can he even legally direct the Post Office to arbitrarily double its rates for a single shipper? Somehow I doubt it.

So yeah, mean, petty, sleazy, vindictive, etc., but above all one of the most harebrained moves of this spectacularly harebrained Presidency.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Of all the idiotic things Trump does because he can't seem to understand that the law isn't whatever he happens to want to do at a given moment, this has to be one of the, er, idiotest. Is there not a slight issue of First Amendment rights here? Is the fucking moron not aware that the Post Office has (well, presumably) written contracts with its large shippers? Can he even legally direct the Post Office to arbitrarily double its rates for a single shipper? Somehow I doubt it.

So yeah, mean, petty, sleazy, vindictive, etc., but above all one of the most harebrained moves of this spectacularly harebrained Presidency.
Isn't breaking contracts one of Trump's standard ways of doing business?
Old 05-18-2018, 09:40 PM

Yes. No contract with Trump is worth the spittle that flew out of his mouth while bragging about it.

He's well known for considering a written contract as only the starting point from which you have to negotiate for him to keep it.

Last edited by Chimera; 05-18-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:38 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Do you know any developers with a sense of humor?

In the neighborhood where I grew up, all the streets were named for gemstones. And all the streets and houses were intertwined with a golf course. There were no duplicates, exactly, but if you didn't live there it was a nightmare to try and find your way around.
That reminds me of when I lived in Dale City, Virginia. So many of the roads there had names ending in ~dale.

Last edited by Monty; 05-19-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:42 AM

As the sprightly Ms Maddow pointed out this evening, Nixon tried to something similar, his notorious "enemies list" started out as a list of his political enemies that he wanted the IRS to screw. They didn't, but he tried, and that was another article of impeachment, along with "obstruction of justice". An entirely valid article of impeachment, abuse of power. And the tapes proved he did try, so that was that, and they sent Goldwater along to give him the wonderful news.

We don't have any Goldwaters any more. The screenplay would be McCain delivering the news to the White House, wheeled in under intensive care, living on sheer will power, just long enough to look Il Douche in the eye and say:

"You're fired!".
Old 05-19-2018, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if the review commission issued the following statement:

Quote:
After an exhaustive review, and considering every aspect of good business practices to include marketing, contractual obligations, and remaining in touch with reality, this commission has only two recommendations:

1. The USPS should continue doing business as it has.
2. For the good of the United States Postal Service, not to mention the people of the United States and the rest of the world, Trump should resign immediately.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:21 AM

Going back to the press coverage of trump thing, I think there's something about the culture of the press in the US, and the way that the public perceives them, that enables a lot of the obfuscation we've seen.

The press are falling over themselves to try to look civil, and fair, because they know much of the public disapproves of more "hostile" behaviour. The press know (or maybe just believe) that many people will see sarah sanders as some kind of hero for fighting off all the "vicious" attacks that come her way.

And when Conway goes on CNN say, there's this politeness thing that annoys the hell out of me. Where she'll spend the whole time lying, contradicting herself, insulting the interviewer, and trying to stoke divisions in the country, but just get pass after pass. And then at the end "So good talking to you, you're welcome any time“. Fuck that shit.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Loser Donald's understanding of the office essentially boils down to "The president is in charge of the whole country and everyone has to do what he says".
Old 05-19-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
On one hand it's good news that he's not Spanish, because that means we can point and laugh at your president before looking at our own politicians and crying.

On the other it's a pity he would never understand contrafuero, se obedece pero no se cumple. Against the law: it is obeyed but it is not done. But then, he doesn't understand that third word in English, either.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
"But the building today only generates about half its annual mortgage payment, and 30 percent of the 41-story tower is vacant."

Brilliant. Even at 100% occupancy, it wouldn't make the mortgage payment. What geniuses put their money into that thing?
Sometimes people with a lot of money can be pretty stupid about it, that or get caught up in the moment.

Back in 2005 a two-year old colt was sold at auction for $16-million, a record that still stands. It is hard to tell from the auction but I suspect it was two bidders who just couldn't stop. In any event, the record lifetime earnings for any thoroughbred at the time was $10-million for Cigar.

Now, anybody with more than a modicum of knowledge knows that the real money in thoroughbreds is in the stud fees. Tapit, the top-earning stud in North America goes for $300,000 a pop and at that rate, it wouldn't be many 'pops' at all to get your $16-million nut back.

Thing is, before a stud fee can rise that high, the stud has to prove himself on the race track then prove those good genes do get passed down. The Green Monkey did neither. He was raced three times for a 0-0-1 record, earning a total of $10,440 and his progeny were equally lackluster. His last posted stud fee in 2016 was $5,000. At that rate it would take some 3,200 covers to get that $16,000,000 back, not counting on-going expenses. Sort of like a building that at full occupancy cannot cover its mortgage payment.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:18 AM

Trump being put out to stud to lower the national debt? Jack Kennedy would be rolling in his grave.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Trump being put out to stud to lower the national debt? Jack Kennedy would be rolling in his grave.
Except that nobody wants Trump's DNA to pass down in their family. The existing results are generally pretty lackluster.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:23 AM

Well, it could be a net positive, though. Since stud fees are based on bloodlines, the CSFG would have to pay clients in order to provide stud service, which would rapidly deplete his assets and put the whole family into crippling debt.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Well, it could be a net positive, though. Since stud fees are based on bloodlines, the CSFG would have to pay clients in order to provide stud service, which would rapidly deplete his assets and put the whole family into crippling debt.
And the clients should demand cash up front.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:12 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
And the clients should demand cash up front.
And no clothing comes off* until all bills have been proven to be genuine.

*The closet with the brain bleach is down the hall, third door on the right. Remember, on the right: Mariah's been a tad fratchety of late, and it's best not to bother her.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:32 PM

Has this been mentioned here? Apparently, the Fuckwit-in-Chief claims the dastardly FBI planted a spy in his campaign, in order to pass information to the Democrats for an October surprise that would undermine his bid for the presidency.

Which, as we now know, totally worked.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Of all the idiotic things Trump does because he can't seem to understand that the law isn't whatever he happens to want to do at a given moment, this has to be one of the, er, idiotest. Is there not a slight issue of First Amendment rights here? Is the fucking moron not aware that the Post Office has (well, presumably) written contracts with its large shippers? Can he even legally direct the Post Office to arbitrarily double its rates for a single shipper? ...
It's clearly an abuse of power. Clear to anyone but Congressional Republicans, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
... The screenplay would be McCain delivering the news to the White House, wheeled in under intensive care, living on sheer will power, just long enough to look Il Douche in the eye and say:

"You're fired!".
That would be epic.

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
Old 05-19-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoDaFe View Post
And no clothing comes off* until all bills have been proven to be genuine.

*The closet with the brain bleach is down the hall, third door on the right. Remember, on the right: Mariah's been a tad fratchety of late, and it's best not to bother her.
It happens in a petri dish or not at all.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:53 AM

Nothing new here, but a good summary:
Quote:
[Trump] is proving to be the most predictable of presidents.

He is predictable because he makes decisions based on instincts and biases, many acquired decades ago. Advisers can delay but not dislodge him from his ruts. He is proving impervious to fact, argument or new learning of any kind. Since his prejudices are well-known, his decisions should not surprise.

What are these predispositions? Allied nations, and especially Japan, play the United States for a chump. Dictators are strong and decisive and therefore to be admired. Immigrants and people of color are suspect. Wealthy people usually know best, while intellectuals are not to be trusted. Trade deficits are the ultimate sign of national weakness, and manufacturing is the linchpin of any economy. Anything Barack Obama did should be undone. That canon of gut feelings can explain most of what Trump has done — and predict what he will do.

He is most predictable when his biases push in the same direction, as with the Paris climate accord. It was a multilateral agreement, so probably other nations were taking advantage of the United States. Scientists believed it was important. Obama considered it a signal achievement. In Trump’s world, the treaty did not have a chance.
Cite
IOW he's as deep as a plate and as predictable as a wind-up toy.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:57 AM

For all the Trump supporters, you'll be pleased to know that Trump is in fact a uniter. Bringing the world together. I'm just got back yesterday from Paris (conference). While there, I was in a shop to buy a Diet Coke. It was run by an elderly man and his son (mainly the son). The man was singing "La jour est long" (the day is long). At the register I said (I'll type it in English but everything was in French), "The day is long?" and he said "I'm tired". I said "Me too, I had a very long trip here." He said, probably noting my mediocre French, "Are you American?" to which I replied "No, Canadian". He said "Ok, then I don't hate you." I looked at him and said "Let me guess, Trump? He sure is an idiot." And we all laughed together. Good ol' Donald Trump, uniting the world in laughter... at him.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:44 AM

Note to self: practice Canadian accent before I get to Paris.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Note to self: practice Canadian accent before I get to Paris.
I understand the Canadian alphabet starts with "eh".
Old 05-21-2018, 11:47 AM

That's a boat right.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:59 PM

The administration, for reasons unknown, issued a coin to commemorate the historic meeting between the "supreme leader Kim Jong-Un" and the president of the US. A meeting that is now in doubt to actually happen. So, now the president's reputation is on the line to have something to point to as a success, meaning that Kim Jong-Un has all the cards.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
The administration, for reasons unknown, issued a coin to commemorate the historic meeting between the "supreme leader Kim Jong-Un" and the president of the US. A meeting that is now in doubt to actually happen. So, now the president's reputation is on the line to have something to point to as a success, meaning that Kim Jong-Un has all the cards.
If the meeting doesn't happen, a lucky soul might find a box of these things being offered on Ebay one day.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
On that coin, Kim has at least four chins. Trump has bad posture and what appears to be a goiter. I'm glad to see they went for realistic art.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
If Obama had pulled a stupid stunt like this out of his ass, let alone released a commemorative coin, the Republicans would have started a god damn civil war. Why are the Dems so quiet?
Old 05-21-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
On that coin, Kim has at least four chins. Trump has bad posture and what appears to be a goiter. I'm glad to see they went for realistic art.
If I were Kim, I'd cancel the talks just based on that horrible profile.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
If Obama had pulled a stupid stunt like this out of his ass, let alone released a commemorative coin, the Republicans would have started a god damn civil war. Why are the Dems so quiet?
Fatigue?
Old 05-22-2018, 02:28 AM

Does it come with a Certificate of Authenticity? Might be worth a lot of money, someday. Or, someday, you may break it open hoping there's chocolate inside.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:09 AM

Trump's administration is rolling back "extreme hunting" legislation in Alaska, including allowing bear cubs and wolf pups to be shot in their dens.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0a046186ecabe
Old 05-22-2018, 05:15 AM

'cos nothing says Mucho Macho more than shooting a pup.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:25 AM

Evidence of large-scale graft by the Trump family continues to mount. Qatar refuses to do a deal with Kushner Company, so Trump adds Qatar, a long-time key ally of the U.S., to a list of states sponsoring terrorism. Qatar agrees to buy Jared's albatross — 666 Fifth Avenue, bleeding cash like a severed aorta — and is back in Trump's good graces. China agrees to invest $500 million in an Indonesian theme park adjacent to Trump hotels and condos — and China is now the sweetheart of the month. And the list goes on.

Unlike the Grant and Harding Administrations, where the man at the top was clean but incompetently surrounded himself with crooks, this is Donald J. Trump himself, along with his children and pwecious son-in-law, who are stuffing their gullets with bribes as fast as they can.

Or is this just the Deep State and liberal MSM misleading me? I hope someone starts a thread in GD about Trump grifting so the Trumpsters can refute these charges. Otherwise we'll have to believe that the U.S. has sunk to the level of the most amateurish banana republic (though the eventual scale of the robberies will be orders of magnitude bigger).

Speaking of Jared Kushner, it may be amusing to read what his Harvard classmates think of this insipid dork.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:07 AM

A GD thread won't do any good. Here's what you're likely going to get from the idiots who support the SOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Evidence of large-scale graft by the Trump family continues to mount.
IWSTSOB: They all do it! You can't condemn Trump for doing what all the other politicians do.

Of course, they're ignoring the simple fact that one of his selling points was "he's not a politician".

Quote:
Qatar refuses to do a deal with Kushner Company, so Trump adds Qatar, a long-time key ally of the U.S., to a list of states sponsoring terrorism. Qatar agrees to buy Jared's albatross — 666 Fifth Avenue, bleeding cash like a severed aorta — and is back in Trump's good graces. China agrees to invest $500 million in an Indonesian theme park adjacent to Trump hotels and condos — and China is now the sweetheart of the month. And the list goes on.
We literally just got the usual answer to this nonsense from the Trumper. But here goes again anyway.

IWSTSOB: Clinton's White House was pay for play. He was worse and that means his wife is worse than Trump.

Quote:
Unlike the Grant and Harding Administrations, where the man at the top was clean but incompetently surrounded himself with crooks, this is Donald J. Trump himself, along with his children and pwecious son-in-law, who are stuffing their gullets with bribes as fast as they can.
IWSTSOB: Fake news! Lamestream Media! You can't trust them!

Yeah, we literally have gotten that nonsense on the boards in the last few days also.

Quote:
Or is this just the Deep State and liberal MSM misleading me? I hope someone starts a thread in GD about Trump grifting so the Trumpsters can refute these charges. Otherwise we'll have to believe that the U.S. has sunk to the level of the most amateurish banana republic (though the eventual scale of the robberies will be orders of magnitude bigger).
Oh, come on. You've seen Trump. Does he look like he eats bananas? Greasy and slimy, yes; bananas. no.

"I'll bet their PR person is named Rosemary." Gold!

Last edited by Monty; 05-22-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
<massive snip>Oh, come on. You've seen Trump. Does he look like he eats bananas? Greasy and slimy, yes; bananas. no.
He does. Just not this kind of banana.

He eats this kind of banana, instead.

(Warning: the second image is a trifle icky.)
Old 05-22-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
IWSTSOB
I've been racking my brain and can't decipher what IWSTSOB stands for.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:17 AM

It's explained in that same post: Idiots Who Support The SOB.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
"idiots who support the SOB"
Old 05-22-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Idiots who support the SOB, I assume.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:22 AM

Answered in triplicate, as the SDMB regulations prescribe...
Old 05-22-2018, 07:26 AM

OK I get it now. Not exactly an acronym that rolls off the tongue.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:27 AM

Did we get all appropriate signatures and seals, though?
Old 05-22-2018, 07:38 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Answered in triplicate, as the SDMB regulations prescribe...
Wouldn't the term "dumdasses" work just as well?