Old Today, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

I believe most supermarket butcher shops will repackage the meat, if you want only half the amount of ground beef, or only two chicken legs instead of four. You just have to find someone to help you, which admittedly isn't easy in many of these stores.
Old Today, 04:28 PM

Yes. Also the produce department -- my brother worked there one summer, and they would on the spot cut up the larger squashes and such for customers. (He had his own official machete -- ooh!) He said the other half (or quarters) would generally be sold within a couple of hours.

Though there were a couple of elderly housing apartments near that store, so maybe the demand/need for smaller portions was higher than normal.
Old Today, 04:29 PM

What I'd like to see would be an online butcher shop function. For example, rather than show up to the store, and browse to see if they have the kind of ground meat I want, it sure would be nice to be able to specify what I'd like, and then have it ready when I showed up within some specified window.

I know some high-end places can do that on the fly (Whole Foods and Central Market come to mind), but it would be nice to be able to just specify ahead of time that I'd like 3 lbs of coarse ground beef for chili, and not have to wonder if they'll have it, or have to buy an entire roast or brisket just to get it ground the way I want. Or if I want 1" steaks/chops instead of the more usual 1/2 to 3/4" ones I typically find. And so on...
Old Today, 05:17 PM

Every aisle should be big enough to fit 3 carts side by side. And there should be subtle grooves in the floor so everyone naturally keeps to their cart to the left or the right, only going down the middle to pass.