Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 07-22-2019, 07:33 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,861
I used to wonder why so many users ended up Banned.
  #52  
Old 07-22-2019, 07:52 PM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
I used to wonder why so many users ended up Banned.
I mean, I still do, but I used to, too.
  #53  
Old 07-22-2019, 08:19 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
Your assumption is incorrect.



Link
Good to know. That would certainly make the odds lower that the brother hypothesis is correct, though it still doesn't explain how it came to be that Omar ended up cohabiting with two husbands at the same time. And it is still peculiar that one of the two would have the name Dad Jr., though that does happen sometimes by happenstance and could simply be a happenstance.

I have not endorsed that the theory is true, merely that there's sufficient evidence that something funny was going on that it would probably be unwise for the Democrats to rest their political fortunes on Omar. Trying to make her a political star, because Trump attacks her, is unwise.

It should also be pointed out that her grandpa worked at a fairly high level in the Somali government during the period of its executing a genocide. There may be other reasons that the family doesn't want people looking too hard into their past.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 07-22-2019 at 08:21 PM.
  #54  
Old 07-22-2019, 08:21 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I mean, I still do, but I used to, too.
How do you feel about frilly toothpicks?
  #55  
Old 07-22-2019, 08:27 PM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
How do you feel about frilly toothpicks?
I’m for ‘em. Join the club!
  #56  
Old 07-22-2019, 08:32 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I’m for ‘em. Join the club!
*jabs JKellyMap with frilly toothpicks*
  #57  
Old 07-22-2019, 08:37 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I’m for ‘em. Join the club!
The club is formed!
  #58  
Old 07-22-2019, 08:42 PM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 15,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Good to know. That would certainly make the odds lower that the brother hypothesis is correct, though it still doesn't explain how it came to be that Omar ended up cohabiting with two husbands at the same time. And it is still peculiar that one of the two would have the name Dad Jr., though that does happen sometimes by happenstance and could simply be a happenstance.

I have not endorsed that the theory is true, merely that there's sufficient evidence that something funny was going on that it would probably be unwise for the Democrats to rest their political fortunes on Omar. Trying to make her a political star, because Trump attacks her, is unwise.

It should also be pointed out that her grandpa worked at a fairly high level in the Somali government during the period of its executing a genocide. There may be other reasons that the family doesn't want people looking too hard into their past.
Ah, an interesting, albeit rare, sighting of an embryonic Gish Gallop.

In any event, there's clearly Something Funny going on. Something Funny. Won't someone please ring up Bill Barr and get him to investigatin'?
  #59  
Old 07-22-2019, 08:42 PM
Lance Turbo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
It should also be pointed out that her grandpa worked at a fairly high level in the Somali government during the period of its executing a genocide. There may be other reasons that the family doesn't want people looking too hard into their past.
Wow. You buy tinfoil in bulk don't you?
  #60  
Old 07-22-2019, 08:44 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
How do you feel about frilly toothpicks?
I like to pretend they’re little arrows. If I can get a handful of them at dinner I’ll stab them all into my meat and pretend it was a wooly mammoth brought down by tribal hunters.
  #61  
Old 07-22-2019, 08:47 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,097
I see that our illustrious OP, of dubious provenance, who allegedly lurked for two years, is currently on record as having exactly one post for an average of 0.00 per day and has yet to return to this thread. The OP's first and only post containing the sentiment that Ilhan Omar needs to investigated, prosecuted, and -- dare I say it -- implicitly subject to the following familiar Trumpian penalty: "lock her up!". I would hazard a guess that if Hillary were thrown into the same cell without trial, that would be deemed to be a bonus and the pinnacle of jurisprudence at its finest.

This is the kind of excellence in informed political analysis that I come here for.
  #62  
Old 07-22-2019, 08:57 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Ah, an interesting, albeit rare, sighting of an embryonic Gish Gallop.

In any event, there's clearly Something Funny going on. Something Funny. Won't someone please ring up Bill Barr and get him to investigatin'?
I'd venture to guess that he already is.
  #63  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:03 PM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 15,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I'd venture to guess that he already is.
Guilt by guessing. Outstanding.
  #64  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:11 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I'd venture to guess that he already is.
Does he really have time for this? Considering that Barr is already investigating treacherous traitors like Robert Mueller for attempting a coup against the president, according to the Orange Peril himself? And the traitorous cadre of Democrats who read his report and told the public what it said? Surely the effort to track these traitors down and lock them up must be consuming most of Billy-Barr's time? Not to mention that he must surely be investigating himself, too, for lying to Congress. He's a busy guy.
  #65  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:21 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
Wow. You buy tinfoil in bulk don't you?
Which are you doubting, that her grandfather worked at a fairly high level in the Barre government or that the Barre government executed a genocide?

I'm happy to provide cites for both of those statements.

If her grandpa was the head of transportation for Stalin, would you think to yourself, "Well Stalin liked all the good people. Clearly there's nothing objectionable in his past!"?

Here, for example, is a guy who worked as Commisar of Transportation for Stalin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazar_Kaganovich

Quote:
He is known for helping Stalin seize power, for his role in the Soviet famine of 1932–33 in Ukraine, and for his harsh treatment and execution of those deemed threats to Stalin's regime.
To be sure, guilt by association is not actual guilt.

But, notably, I am not saying that anyone is guilty of anything. Her grandfather could be a kindly person who had zilch to do with anything other than ship building under the Barre government, and only did so out of fear for his family if he didn't do as told. Omar might have allowed her ex to stay in the home while saving money to leave, after she met someone else.

There is wide room for innocence on all parts. I am not claiming guilt.

But it does seem likely that the family is destroying information on this topic as it is identified and seems uninterested in fighting it in any other way - even though there would be both a financial and political boon to do so.

She is, fairly undoubtedly, racist against Jews.

And her grandfather did work for a genocidal government.

If that's your basis for, "Clearly, this person and her family are liable to prove to be shining beacons of light for all Americans", then you are taking on more risk than is necessary. There is no reason to do that.

By no means am I saying that she should be cast out, shunned, nor blamed for anything at all. There is no evidence sufficient to determine guilt of anything. Again, I simply advise against making her the face of the party. She's a junior Representative. Let her be that.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 07-22-2019 at 09:22 PM.
  #66  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:29 PM
Lance Turbo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
But it does seem likely that the family is destroying information on this topic as it is identified and seems uninterested in fighting it in any other way - even though there would be both a financial and political boon to do so.
This is nuttier than a Payday kind of talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
She is, fairly undoubtedly, racist against Jews.
This is false.
  #67  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:33 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Which are you doubting, that her grandfather worked at a fairly high level in the Barre government or that the Barre government executed a genocide?

I'm happy to provide cites for both of those statements.
Can you provide a site that her grandfather worked at a fairly high level in the Barre government?
  #68  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:15 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
This is false.
https://www.npr.org/2019/03/04/70016...rep-ilhan-omar

Last edited by Sage Rat; 07-22-2019 at 10:15 PM.
  #69  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:17 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Can you provide a site that her grandfather worked at a fairly high level in the Barre government?
http://www.citypages.com/news/ilhan-...ture/398441901
  #70  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:18 PM
Lance Turbo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
That doesn't support your calumny.
  #71  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:22 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Thanks!
  #72  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:34 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
That doesn't support your calumny.
Then we disagree. If the House votes to tell you that you're a racist - when it's lead by Democrats - you're probably a racist.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 07-22-2019 at 10:36 PM.
  #73  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:38 PM
Lance Turbo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Then we disagree.
You should stick to your conspiracy theories about Barr arresting Schiff for leaking and MBS giving Trump a chunk of Aramco. They don't make any more sense, but they don't appear to be racist.
  #74  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:40 PM
Lance Turbo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
If the House votes to tell you that you're a racist - when it's lead by Democrats - you're probably a racist.
The house didn't vote that she was racist.

Why does your argument so often rely on distorting the truth.
  #75  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:45 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I've read your source, and this is what they say about themselves:

"Whether it's investigative reporting, mouth-watering food coverage or the annual Comix Issue, City Pages proudly serves the most discerning audience in America"

That's what you're basing your thoughts on? LOL
  #76  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:53 PM
Not Carlson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Here, for example, is a guy who worked as Commisar of Transportation for Stalin:
What are you doing?

Quote:
But it does seem likely that the family is destroying information on this topic as it is identified and seems uninterested in fighting it in any other way - even though there would be both a financial and political boon to do so.
Seems you're making some pretty big assumptions both about the family's actions and motivations there.

Quote:
She is, fairly undoubtedly, racist against Jews.
OK, here I know exactly what you're doing.
You're pushing a disingenuous Republican narrative.
But you probably know that.

Quote:
If that's your basis for, "Clearly, this person and her family are liable to prove to be shining beacons of light for all Americans", then you are taking on more risk than is necessary. There is no reason to do that.
And you don't need me to tell you what you're doing there.
  #77  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:00 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 27,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Can you provide a site that her grandfather worked at a fairly high level in the Barre government?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Can you quote the part that supports your assertion?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-22-2019 at 11:01 PM.
  #78  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:11 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Is she, in any way, shape or form, guilty of any crimes committed by her grandfather?

If so, can we deport Trump to Germany where he can be tried for the crimes of HIS grandfather?

Hell, my grandfather was a member of the Nazi Youth, simply because it was a requirement of the time, before he emigrated to the USA in the 30's. Am I therefore guilty of all of the crimes committed by the Nazi Regime? Perhaps we should burn Germany to the ground again because their grandparents and other ancestors were Nazis?


You throw this out as if it means something and we have to look into it. It doesn't mean a goddamned thing and you know it. You're just looking for bad things to pin on her so you can hate her.
  #79  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:38 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
You should stick to your conspiracy theories about Barr arresting Schiff for leaking and MBS giving Trump a chunk of Aramco. They don't make any more sense, but they don't appear to be racist.
I don't recall saying anything about Barr arresting Schiff, though I do know what you're referencing even if you're misstating my position. If you think that it's more likely that an FBI agent or someone else leaked all of the details about the Trump Tower meeting, I'm perfectly happy to listen to your hypothesis and, if it seems more likely, then I'm perfectly happy to endorse it as being a better hypothesis. As it is, Schiff had access and motive. He is a prime suspect. But it is also possible that Team Trump released that information themselves, to start the process of gaslighting the general public. And, it's possible that it was simply some random staffer in Pelosi's office, acting out of order, or some member of the FBI. That the leaks stopped when the House shut down its investigation, as I have said, makes me most strongly suspect Schiff and his office, and nothing that I have seen Schiff do has impressed me in terms of his ability to keep calm and proceed forward in investigations critically. Cummings has been far more impressive on that front and that's the sort that I would have advised Pelosi to put into the head of the investigatory committees. I have not said that he is guilty, I have said that he was a poor choice to lead the House Intelligence Committee. While some of that determination is based on my suspicions, there are 200 other people to choose from. There is no harm in being cautious and choosing one of the 200 of whom there is no reason to be suspicious.

And I have no idea whether Trump was given any of Aramco. It's strange that he went from blaming the Saudis for 9/11 to Tweeting how much they needed to take Aramco public, in the US, but that's not proof. If you have a more plausible hypothesis for how that transition occurred, you're free to make it and, if it seems more likely, then I'm perfectly happy to endorse it as being a better hypothesis.

As it is, I have correctly predicted that Turkey would migrate to Russia; I correctly predicted the results of the Mueller Report; I am probably right that Trump was maneuvering to hook up his friends with jobs building the wall (though the evidence on that one is still pretty low-grade); and I wrongly predicted that Barr would turn out to be a good guy. Sometimes I am wrong. On the whole, I expect to be right about half the time and I am probably averaging about half the time.

At no point am I surprised or disbelieving of counter-evidence. Barr was bad and I was wrong. Fair enough, I'm fine to be wrong.

All evidence that is amenable to the brother theory on Omar can be explained away very easily, she was dumb during her college years, the husband was too poor to move out, Elmi likes to call the girls that weren't his biological daughters but were the daughters of his wife "niece", etc. I would not be astonished if that's all that this is and I don't discount the potential that, that's all that this is. But, at the same time, that seems like a very easy and straightforward thing for Omar to explain, and yet the response was to delete photos rather than explain why the one dude calls her children "niece". Why was that their chosen strategy?

Again, if you have a better hypothesis, you are free to propose and I genuinely will endorse your alternative if it fits the known information better. But it still won't be truth. All options from complete innocence to complete guilt are always on the table until there's sufficient evidence to explain all questions. The leading hypothesis is not fact simply because it's the leading hypothesis. Just because you have decided that I endorse something as fact, doesn't mean that I endorse something as fact, it just means that you don't understand the idea that reality is a spectrum of possibilities that narrows with evidence. Pointing out the spectrum and the darker ends of it is not raising conspiracies, it's pointing out that the spectrum of possibilities is wide enough to allow for some dark ends and that's not something you want among your friends.

If there's a 1 in 20 chance that Bob murdered his wife, well 95% of the time, he's completely innocent. But don't marry Bob. That's completely unfair to him, 95% of the time. But getting murdered is a sufficiently bad outcome that it's stupid to marry Bob.

In certain cases, caution and hesitancy is alright. It's not being unreasonable or seeing demons behind every door, it's just doing the math and saying, "It ain't worth it."

It may well be that there's an 85% chance that Omar and everyone in her family is innocent of everything worse than jaywalking. I would be perfectly willing to sign on to that viewpoint. But, it's really important at the moment for everyone of color in the Democratic party to prove more innocent and impeachable than ever before, since the 70s. That's not reality, though. 15% of everyone is a crook*, skin color be as it may be, so if there's any hint of anything shady, you really need to be a bit overly-cautious. A person about whom there are rumors is more likely to be guilty of those rumors than someone who does not have those rumors floating about them. Kevin Spacey had rumors floating around him, Matt Damon did not. Previous to 2017, it would be unreasonable to call Spacey guilty of anything, nor Damon innocent of anything. Today, it is still unreasonable to call Matt Damon innocent of anything, despite the lack of rumors. But, it is not surprising which of the two of them was taken out.

Again, if you read anything I say to imply guilt, that's a problem of your reading and willingness to accept that a person can have an appropriate amount of skepticism about his own hypotheses. It may well be the case that for almost all people on Earth, if they say that something is possible that they mean to say, "This is what happened, yo, and y'all's wrong if you believe otherwise." If you ever read me to be acting in that way, then you are reading what I have written incorrectly. I am completely skeptical of all hypotheses, whether raised by me or others, and you would be stupid to buy into them any greater than the evidence supports. I certainly don't.

* Not a real statistic, though I do believe that I've seen a few things that imply that to be about the correct number, for some definitions of "crook". I would need to do some googling to figure out a more reliable estimate.
  #80  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:56 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Can you quote the part that supports your assertion?
Sure:

Quote:
Her grandfather rode the winds of change to Italy, where he attended university. He returned to his East African homeland, becoming Somalia’s National Marine Transport director. Abukar oversaw the string of lighthouses along the Arabian Sea coastline.
Pro:
- Somalia is all coastline. Being in charge of it should be a fairly big deal.

Con:
- Lighthouses aren't generally a big deal.
- "Director" is often not the highest level in an organization. That might be Minister, Secretary, or something like that. Though it is generally still quite high up.

I'd suggest that it would be somewhere between 2-4 positions down from the top but it's hard to say given the current state of information available on the Internet.
  #81  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:59 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 27,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Sure:



Pro:
- Somalia is all coastline. Being in charge of it should be a fairly big deal.

Con:
- Lighthouses aren't generally a big deal.
- "Director" is often not the highest level in an organization. That might be Minister, Secretary, or something like that. Though it is generally still quite high up.

I'd suggest that it would be somewhere between 2-4 positions down from the top but it's hard to say given the current state of information available on the Internet.
Ah, okay; thanks.

When was he Somalia's National Maritime Transport director? And where did City Pages Magazine get that information?
  #82  
Old 07-23-2019, 12:01 AM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Why are you so ready to believe something with such incredibly weak evidence, and no motive?
A brown woman with a different religion has dared to occupy a position of authority and speak against the Great White Father, and this simply will not do.
  #83  
Old 07-23-2019, 12:09 AM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
A brown woman with a different religion has dared to occupy a position of authority and speak against the Great White Father, and this simply will not do.
THIS.

It's so stunningly unimportant to anything at all, but he's obsessed with turning it into something so he can justify his anger toward her and attempt to paint her as a bad person so that other people won't like her either.

If only he'd spend half as much time 'investigating' all of the sexual assault and rape claims against his Great White Father and King with an eye toward proving them true.
  #84  
Old 07-23-2019, 12:27 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,847
Dear Sage Rat,

Shut the fuck up.
  #85  
Old 07-23-2019, 12:30 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
How do we know it isn't his sock?
Who even cares?

Sage Rat is just fucking insufferable with his long, convoluted, half-cocked, conspiracy theorist gibberish that could easily be mistaken for schizophrenia. I've not put a single poster on ignore but he and WillFarnaby are, like, right fucking there. At least some of the conservatrolls go away after a few droppings.
  #86  
Old 07-23-2019, 12:40 AM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Who even cares?

Sage Rat is just fucking insufferable with his long, convoluted, half-cocked, conspiracy theorist gibberish that could easily be mistaken for schizophrenia. I've not put a single poster on ignore but he and WillFarnaby are, like, right fucking there. At least some of the conservatrolls go away after a few droppings.
I half expect him to start going off about how he has now proved beyond the shadow of a doubt, with geometric logic, that a duplicate key to the ward room icebox did exist, and he could have produced that key if they hadn't pulled the Caine out of action.

And then tomorrow, some dude we've never heard of will post for the very first time about the key to the ward room icebox, and link to a citation from the South Dakota Tribune and Fishwrap as proof.
  #87  
Old 07-23-2019, 01:02 AM
DWMarch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Posts: 2,131
Okay, for the sake of the hypothetical, I will take the OP at face value. Ilhan Omar lied, cheated and stole her way into the United States and then had the nerve to bring her brother along with her. Outrageous!

Almost as outrageous as Melania Trump's family coming in courtesy of chain migration.

You know, I see a lot of conservatives talking about Mexicans stealing their jobs and whatnot as if it is the manifest destiny of white Americans to scrub toilets for a dollar an hour. But think about Melania's family for a minute. Do you think these people are suffering in the US? Do you think they ever have to do anything at all that resembles actual work? Of course they don't! They're fucking rich and they will never want for anything. And where did that money come from? Spoiler alert: they didn't goddamn well bring it with them. And no one will ever tell them to go back to where they came from.

Does Ilhan Omar need to be prosecuted? There are bigger fish to fry. For example, one individual who has had one thousand prosecutors saying that if he was any other individual on Earth, he'd be facing a multitude of charges.

But who cares if that individual lied, cheated and stole his way into office? We let Ilhan Omar get away with it so I guess he gets away with it too. And did you hear what Omar said about Israel? She said it was "all about the Benjamins"! Next thing you know she'll be advocating genocide, saying something like the conflict would be easy to solve if only ten million people would die. Somebody who says something like that should definitely never hold a position of authority anywhere, ever.
  #88  
Old 07-23-2019, 01:10 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Ah, okay; thanks.

When was he Somalia's National Maritime Transport director? And where did City Pages Magazine get that information?
I have no way of knowing (short of emailing the author) but, given that they're giving quotes from her that are conversational, I would assume that they interviewed her and that she's their source for the information. They have simply compressed down the conversation to be more readable.

She's 36. Assuming that her grandfather is 40ish years older than her and probably wouldn't get into all that high of a position until he was past 40, that would have him start being eligible for the role around 1983 (?). Barre was ousted in 1991. The Isaaq Genocide was undertaken in the 1987 to 1989 period. Her grandfather might have been 44-46 years old during that period - which sounds about right.
  #89  
Old 07-23-2019, 01:26 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Why are you so ready to believe something with such incredibly weak evidence, and no motive?
I don't believe it, as said in post 79.

As I have said, many times, my point is that it's unwise for the Democratic party to put all of its eggs into one basket at this moment in time, not that there's a correct basket. If you decide that I'm saying something other than that, when I clearly say that this is how to read my statements, then I can't really help you.

And if you don't like the things I say, well, you wouldn't like it if I pointed out that there's a rumor that your friend Bob murdered his wife, either. Whether you like something or not is irrelevant to a discussion of the pros and cons of the evidence. Not liking doesn't mean that the rumor might not be correct.

If you feel like the evidence is false or is being interpreted in a way that is unfair, you are completely free to make that argument. I had it pointed out to me that a series of traffic ticket addresses, for Omar and company, were likely out of date. I checked and that was clearly true that they were out of date and not indicative of anything. A reasonable counterargument was made and I appreciate someone doing that. You are free to and encouraged to do likewise. You can either call me insane or you can contest the evidence, but only one of those is fighting ignorance. I recommend the latter if you're certain of your position.

It is impossible to prove a negative. But, likewise, it is possible to prove a positive. If Omar was in a real marriage with Elmi and living with him, there should be records of the two of them living together - apartment lease agreements, bank accounts, etc. If you can demonstrate that there was a real marriage, that would go a fair way towards disproving the false marriage theory.

If you care to defend her, then defend her.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 07-23-2019 at 01:27 AM.
  #90  
Old 07-23-2019, 01:34 AM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
As I have said, many times, my point is that it's unwise for the Democratic party to put all of its eggs into one basket at this moment in time, not that there's a correct basket.
Do you have a cite that the Democrats are "putting all their eggs" in a freshman Congresswoman from Minneapolis, or are you just concern trolling us at this point?

Last edited by Smapti; 07-23-2019 at 01:35 AM.
  #91  
Old 07-23-2019, 01:42 AM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
A brown woman with a different religion has dared to occupy a position of authority and speak against the Great White Father, and this simply will not do.
True — but I suspect that, deep in the night under the covers, Sage/Annoyed also thinks the idea of that pretty brown lady doing it with her own brother is hawt.
  #92  
Old 07-23-2019, 01:50 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Do you have a cite that the Democrats are "putting all their eggs" in a freshman Congresswoman from Minneapolis, or are you just concern trolling us at this point?
Possibly it's past the point where it was a concern, now. The media seem to have moved on from the "Squad" story and while the light did seem to move towards Omar, I think it moved away before it would get to the point where I would worry for the party.

So I would say that at the moment, I am answering the questions that are being asked, because people asked. If they ask me what my motives were, all I can do is answer what they were, regardless of how much time has passed since that point in time. In 40 years, my motive would still be to urge caution. Because we would still be discussing my thinking as of early July of 2019. And my motive for mentioning it forty years time would be simply because someone asked what my thoughts were in early July, 2019.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 07-23-2019 at 01:52 AM.
  #93  
Old 07-23-2019, 02:01 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
True — but I suspect that, deep in the night under the covers, Sage/Annoyed also thinks the idea of that pretty brown lady doing it with her own brother is hawt.
The current evidence would be that Elmi moved to the US, stayed with her and her husband for a short while, and then moved out on his own.

I wouldn't envision any case where they committed visa fraud, except to try and get the family back together if it was indeed separated in some way. To be sure, it's a strange way to go about it, and that does make the theory questionable, but I wouldn't expect any genuine incestuous angle should it prove to be true.
  #94  
Old 07-23-2019, 02:22 AM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,718
Got it - thanks.
The other thing, then.
  #95  
Old 07-23-2019, 03:44 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I don't believe it, as said in post 79.

As I have said, many times, my point is that it's unwise for the Democratic party to put all of its eggs into one basket at this moment in time, not that there's a correct basket. If you decide that I'm saying something other than that, when I clearly say that this is how to read my statements, then I can't really help you.

And if you don't like the things I say, well, you wouldn't like it if I pointed out that there's a rumor that your friend Bob murdered his wife, either. Whether you like something or not is irrelevant to a discussion of the pros and cons of the evidence. Not liking doesn't mean that the rumor might not be correct.

If you feel like the evidence is false or is being interpreted in a way that is unfair, you are completely free to make that argument. I had it pointed out to me that a series of traffic ticket addresses, for Omar and company, were likely out of date. I checked and that was clearly true that they were out of date and not indicative of anything. A reasonable counterargument was made and I appreciate someone doing that. You are free to and encouraged to do likewise. You can either call me insane or you can contest the evidence, but only one of those is fighting ignorance. I recommend the latter if you're certain of your position.

It is impossible to prove a negative. But, likewise, it is possible to prove a positive. If Omar was in a real marriage with Elmi and living with him, there should be records of the two of them living together - apartment lease agreements, bank accounts, etc. If you can demonstrate that there was a real marriage, that would go a fair way towards disproving the false marriage theory.

If you care to defend her, then defend her.
There's no point in defending her. This is bullshit internet conspiracy talk, and giving it air feeds it no matter the evidence. That's probably why she's paying no attention to it. To pay attention to it is to feed it and spread it.

And the party is not making her the "face of the party" or anything close to that.

You're being utterly ridiculous in this thread. Basically a birther "just asking questions".
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #96  
Old 07-23-2019, 04:14 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
One problem is that our conservative friends have made up SOOOOOOOOO much crazy shit that, even if they came up with something like this and it was TRUE no one would believe it. It's "The boy who cried wolf".
They've got a whole 24-hour news network crying "wolf" these days. I think it's called something like "WolfNews".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I like to pretend they’re little arrows. If I can get a handful of them at dinner I’ll stab them all into my meat and pretend it was a wooly mammoth brought down by tribal hunters.
Are...are we related somehow? Because clearly you are one of my people.
  #97  
Old 07-23-2019, 06:19 AM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
there's sufficient evidence that something funny was going on
I think there's sufficient evidence that you're too fucking stupid to know what evidence is.

Here is how evidence works. When you have evidence, you don't need to make up a fucking story to explain what happened, because the evidence tells you what happened.

Do you have evidence that Elmi is her brother? Or do you have stupid shit like he called her nieces and nephews his "nieces and nephews?" My wife does that with my extended family, and I'm pretty sure she isn't my sister.
  #98  
Old 07-23-2019, 06:24 AM
ElvisL1ves is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
What is the reason for the obsession with this one member of Congress, not just on the part of the OP but also Fox News and others?
I'm sure there's hijab porn out there, but I don't have the heart to look.
  #99  
Old 07-23-2019, 06:27 AM
madmonk28 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
What is the reason for the obsession with this one member of Congress, not just on the part of the OP but also Fox News and others?
Trumpism is a white nationalist movement and she’s an elected person of color. They need to keep their rapid base angry and mobilized for the election.

Last edited by madmonk28; 07-23-2019 at 06:28 AM.
  #100  
Old 07-23-2019, 07:55 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I don't believe it, as said in post 79.

Bullshit. You believe it with the fanaticism of the classic convert.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
There's no point in defending her. This is bullshit internet conspiracy talk, and giving it air feeds it no matter the evidence. That's probably why she's paying no attention to it. To pay attention to it is to feed it and spread it.

And the party is not making her the "face of the party" or anything close to that.

You're being utterly ridiculous in this thread. Basically a birther "just asking questions".

What about it. 'Rat? What's your take on the Birther "controversary"?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017