Old 12-15-2019, 08:40 AM

I was hospitalized 9 years ago for shingles above the eye, as they were worried Iíd lose my vision on that side. Got IV antivirals. Doc at the time said if it reaches the tip of your nose, itís in your optic nerve, too. So follow up if it gets worse.

I need to ask about the vaccine again. Itís been impossible to find. My dad had shingles 3 times, so Iím interested in not following his lead.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:40 AM

*googles when people should get the shingles vaccination*

Ten more years for me. I'm getting it as soon as I'm old enough.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:52 AM

Uh, you can get vaccines without being in the recommended group, so long as you're not on some sort of "banned" group.

Heck, I got tested for HPV in my ObGyn visit a couple of months back and if it came back negative, I'm asking for the vaccine (the results are waiting for me in my mailbox). It ain't only for people under 16 or only for virgins, it's for people who don't have the virus.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:11 AM

Going though one of those phases where some web sites insist (politely at least) that I turn off my ad blocker before they'll let me view the content on their site.

But I'm not using an ad blocker. I'm using plain-vanilla Google Chrome for my web browsing, with no add-ons installed. Don't know if there was some recent Chrome update that makes web pages think I have an ad blocker installed or what, but it's frustrating as hell, since there's nothing I can turn off.

Also, I had shingles three years ago on the left side of my jaw, neck, and shoulder. Still dealing with the post-herpathigic (sp?) nerve issues from it -- that part of the jaw and neck is numb, but itches like crazy unless I take gabapentin every 8 hours or so. Ugh. Shingles does really suck.

Last edited by Runestar; 12-15-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Uh, you can get vaccines without being in the recommended group, so long as you're not on some sort of "banned" group.

Heck, I got tested for HPV in my ObGyn visit a couple of months back and if it came back negative, I'm asking for the vaccine (the results are waiting for me in my mailbox). It ain't only for people under 16 or only for virgins, it's for people who don't have the virus.
Good to know. I'll ask my doctor next time I see him to see if I need to wait.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Good to know. I'll ask my doctor next time I see him to see if I need to wait.
You can get them, but I was told by my insurance company that if you're not in the recommended group, you also get to pay for it all by yourself.

In other words, check with your insurance company first to see if they'll pay for it and then decide if it's worth it to you. A few years back I was looking at getting the shingles vaccine and was told I was too young but I could get it if I were willing to pay about $300 or so for it, which I didn't have to spare at the time.

ETA: American healthcare, thanks to the insurance industry, is a fucking nightmare and I wish we could nationalize it and have done.

Last edited by Morgyn; 12-15-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:06 PM

As mentioned in OP we are building a fireplace (on the weekends). Yesterday went well except for the work table collapsing in the middle of a tile cut (the ledgestone tile and saw and me came out just fine, it was more the shock of it all, and resetting everything). Today we get ready to power through the rest of the stone layout and cuts and the saw is D.E.A.D. Not the circuit breaker (the pump on the wet saw still runs), not the switch (the pump on the wet saw still runs). So the saw itself is buggered (the brushes? bearings? (sounded a little rough when running). It is a rental and of course the rental shop is closed on Sundays and this is the only saw they have that can do edge mitres. Upshot is no fireplace before Xmas. Maybe before New Years.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Sure. Like Santa’s gonna make another trip once your chimney has a landing pad...
Old 12-15-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsomniaMama View Post
I was hospitalized 9 years ago for shingles above the eye, as they were worried Iíd lose my vision on that side. Got IV antivirals. Doc at the time said if it reaches the tip of your nose, itís in your optic nerve, too. So follow up if it gets worse.

I need to ask about the vaccine again. Itís been impossible to find. My dad had shingles 3 times, so Iím interested in not following his lead.
Try calling or walking into Walgreens on a Tuesday. Apparently if the store's receiving any Shingrix, it arrives Tuesday morning. I got both of mine that way, each injection in a different US state.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsomniaMama View Post

All above the eye, still.
I'll be seeing my GP this morning, and I'll set up an appointment with an ophthalmologist shortly.
The good thing about living in Australia - I've already paid for my health care, with my taxes, so I don't have much if any out of pocket to worry about. So far, about 35.00AUD for the course of anti-virals. If I still lived in the States, with the crappy insurance I had, I probably would have put off any treatment until it was too late.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer_Flight View Post
As mentioned in OP we are building a fireplace (on the weekends). Yesterday went well except for the work table collapsing in the middle of a tile cut (the ledgestone tile and saw and me came out just fine, it was more the shock of it all, and resetting everything). Today we get ready to power through the rest of the stone layout and cuts and the saw is D.E.A.D. Not the circuit breaker (the pump on the wet saw still runs), not the switch (the pump on the wet saw still runs). So the saw itself is buggered (the brushes? bearings? (sounded a little rough when running). It is a rental and of course the rental shop is closed on Sundays and this is the only saw they have that can do edge mitres. Upshot is no fireplace before Xmas. Maybe before New Years.
Aren't you busy on Christmas, anyway? Pulling Santa's ass all over the world with your seven buddies, and maybe Rudolph if the weather's bad?
Old 12-15-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
Aren't you busy on Christmas, anyway? Pulling Santa's ass all over the world with your seven buddies, and maybe Rudolph if the weather's bad?
Ah, no. If I'm hauling Santa's ass around it will be in a high performance fighter craft, not a sleigh with undersized elk. The handle comes from an obscure little book I enjoyed in my youth: Dancer of the Sixth.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer_Flight View Post
Ah, no. If I'm hauling Santa's ass around it will be in a high performance fighter craft, not a sleigh with undersized elk. The handle comes from an obscure little book I enjoyed in my youth: Dancer of the Sixth.
Pretty good book ...
Old 12-15-2019, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the good wishes, kaylasdad99. I hope all is going better than hoped in your life as well.

This thread prompted me to ask my BB if he had his shingles shots and he told me that he had measles as a kid, so wouldn't need them. A quick google told me that shingles had nothing to do with measles and that nagging should commence. He's calling his doctor tomorrow.

I started getting pre-exposure rabies shots 20 years ago. Insurance won't pay for "optional" vaccines unless you can convince your doctor to write a good letter explaining why you are special and sometimes that doesn't work. I'd guess that shingles shots for folks my age and no high risk elements would work the same way.

My morning work minion was in a very bad car accident 3 days ago and is still in a coma. He's an out of state college student, his family was called, but his roommate also called me because he knew minion would want me to know why he didn't come to work.

After I was called, I went to the hospital to check on him. I didn't stop at the reception desk because I already knew which ward he would be in, so walked into that ward like I belonged there and asked for him at that desk. After I looked in at him, I asked a medical person how he was and was given an update. At no time did I ever indicate that I had any sort of legal or HIPPPA sanctioned relationship with the kid.

The second day, as I was walking into his ward, someone updated me on his medical condition and worried that the rest of his family wasn't going to be in time.

Today I got busted. His family is here and while they were happy that someone had been checking on him, let it slip that I wasn't family.

I was accused by a hospital suit of lying to get protected medical information. That was hours ago and I am still fumming. I could have verbally ripped that stupid suit to pieces if I was somewhere without grieving and worried people to bother.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:10 AM

Sucks about your co-worker, flatlined - I hope all goes well with him, and he makes a full recovery.

Update, 'cuz I know you're all hanging on the edge of your seats.

I saw my GP today, more to keep him up to date and to make sure all this was entered into my medical history. He says it's unlikely that I need to see an ophthalmologist, unless I see any redness in the whites of that eye, or feel pain in the eyeball itself. He did suggest that I not work, but allowed that I should be fine to deal with the public by the next time I was rostered on, on Thursday morning. It's Monday now, for me. The lesions are all nicely dried up; I don't recall them leaking any fluid since I first noticed them, in fact. There's been no real pain, just a bit of tenderness and warmth. It looks like I escaped with about as benign a case as one could hope for.
Total out of pocket - just under 70AUD. I'm now wondering what it would have cost me, if I still lived in the States. Between the ER visit, the seven day's worth of vaclovir, and the GP visit, I imagine I'd be well into the hundreds out of pocket by now.
Or maybe not - I left before Obamacare, so my health insurance now would probably be at least somewhat useful, albeit more expensive. Goodness knows, my insurance then was pretty much useless.

Last edited by galen ubal; 12-16-2019 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
I'm now wondering what it would have cost me, if I still lived in the States. Between the ER visit, the seven day's worth of vaclovir, and the GP visit, I imagine I'd be well into the hundreds out of pocket by now.
Or maybe not - I left before Obamacare, so my health insurance now would probably be at least somewhat useful, albeit more expensive. Goodness knows, my insurance then was pretty much useless.
Good to hear you're on the mend galen. And yes Og bless Medicare.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:59 PM

Another physician rant (sorry, I know I rant a lot about medical crap):
Today was my six month check up. Different nephrologist than usual.
Dude.
"That mole looks off, could be cancer", "You've had a cough for a few weeks? Could be cancer", "You have thyroid nodules? Could be cancer". FWIW, checked and NO, it's a cold, and checked and NO.
My donor, at some point, had something that gave him/her the CMV virus. I've never had any strains of it, so the normal course of action is 6 months of a fairly strong antiviral med. This is my last week of it. Per the physician, it's not a matter of IF I contract CMV, but WHEN. Most transplantees I know that have had CMV spent weeks in hospital.
I do like honesty, but damn. Not everything is cancer. I will be continuing one antiviral for the rest of my life, and CMV is checked monthly. Let's not look for zebras in a barn full of horses.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
Let's not look for zebras...
Those stripes are probably benign... but how 'bout we cut a chunk out of your withers and you can worry for a week while the lab dithers, just to be on the safe side?

Last edited by digs; 12-16-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Got an automated phone call yesterday from my CPAP supplier. First I had to verify that I was the patient and not some rando answering my home phone. Then they wanted to know if I had been using the machine regularly (x hours a night for at least y nights in the past month). Then they wanted to know if I needed any supplies. I really didn't, but I figured it's close to the end of the year and I've met my deductible, so why not stock up? * So I said Yes, and the robo-voice says "We're sorry... According to your insurance, you are not yet eligible to reorder supplies. Goodbye." And I'm thinking "Well what the fuck did you call me for then?"

* Also the best time of year to load up on penis pills. Those things are expensive!
Old 12-16-2019, 07:45 PM

Broke my tooth over the weekend, it cannot be fixed
Old 12-17-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I've had bits of a molar crumble off while eating...I have an appointment next month to have something done about it, but it's my understanding that not much of the tooth is really left (it's mostly patchy bits of filling material).
Old 12-17-2019, 11:09 AM

First world mini-rant, but...

Being in middle management is about 60% getting screamed at
30% reading and/or writing status reports to send to people more important than you
10% pretending to be strategic but never actually being strategic.

And underlying the entire role is serving as parent/babysitter to employees and pretending like I'm "letting them fail so they can grow" when in reality I'm doing part of their jobs because if they "grow through failure," I am the failure in the minds of those in control of my salary. Also, I don't get the benefit of the golden parachute if people under me fuck up.

Ah, the paradox of middle management.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

I now have bandaids and burn gel on two of the fingers on my right hand, all thanks to a cat that suddenly decided, for the first time in the almost 3 years I've owned him, that he had to be UNDER MY FEET while I was cooking.

Naturally, I stepped on him, and his yowl was enough to startle me into moving too fast, losing my balance, and putting my hands on the stove top. Which was still hot even though it was cooling down from the 5 minutes ago that I'd turned if off at. Two of my fingertips landed on the burner.

So now I have one cat I want to kill to shut him up, and the other I want to skin because damnit my fingers HURT. And I make my living as a tech writer, so having the fingertips damaged is not a good thing.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:03 PM

I should probably be in the workplace thread, but I started it here...

My work minion who was a really smart, clever and funny young college student has severe brain and spinal damage. Even if he does wake up, he's probably never going to be the same.

The fucking drunk who hit him head on ended up with a broken arm. The drunk had a suspended license and no insurance. Currently the drunk is in jail and because of his past record, will probably be there for a few months and then court ordered to go to rehab. Fat lot of good it does my minion or his family.

I cleaned his desk out for his family today. They seemed to want all of his random stuff, and I was going to have to do it anyhow. I've also put him on unpaid leave until the end of the year. As a part timer, he wasn't insured, but this way he will be eligible for the part timer Christmas bonus, which will be 250 bucks.

I am extremely angry about this. I'm also a bitch with a rich husband who not only loves to indulge me, but has a bored lawyer on retainer. Heinous fuckery is going to fall on the drunk's head because I want him charged with voluntary manslaughter and have the resources and contacts to make it happen.

In other news, Karen the housekeeper and Missy the Feline Decorator are having their yearly disagreement over holiday decorations. Even though cats can't see colors, Missy does Not want red hand towels in the kitchen. They belong in the living room, right in front of the door. Karen disagrees and has loud discussions with Missy as to why she shouldn't do this 5 or 6 times a day. We could remind Karen to use different colors, but this is a yearly tradition and very entertaining.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:07 PM

To my coworkers who share my cubicle walls:

Look, I get it. We can hear each other's conversations. We eavesdrop without meaning or wanting to eavesdrop. It cannot be helped, and I'm not blaming anyone.

But can you at least try to create the illusion that I have some privacy?

If I'm talking to someone about something and your ear catches a question in the conversation that you think you can help with, by all means chime in. But please only chime in when you have good reason to believe you understand the big picture that's being discussed. There's nothing more irritating than having a person butt into a conversation that's focused on Topic A, but they think the conversation is about Topic B since they heard you say a word that is semi-relevant to Topic B. So instead of my conversational partner and me getting matters straightened out for Topic A in an efficient manner, now we have to waste time explaining to you what we're talking about and how it isn't tied to Topic B. Your lack of knowledge about Topic A is why you weren't a member of the conversation in the first place. I understand that it can be hard listening to an interesting conversation that you haven't been invited to participate in, but there's a way to be brought into the loop without being a disruptive presence.

Another thing: Don't assume I'm listening to your conversations. There's a difference between being able to just hear your voice and and actually following your conversation. So if you're talking to someone on the other side of my cubicle and you suddenly say, "What do you think about that, monstro?, I'm always going to ask you what you're talking about (while inwardly rolling my eyes). I'm over here working, not being a spy.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:04 AM

For the first time in 15 years I have a cold. And it's a doozy. I forgot how miserable colds make people feel, and my age and health issues only compound that. If this becomes pneumonia, I'm a dead man; I feel like one already.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

The Xerox printer at work munched on a lock of my hair! I didn't lose much or I'd be going Office Space on that fucker right now.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
My donor, at some point, had something that gave him/her the CMV virus. I've never had any strains of it, so the normal course of action is 6 months of a fairly strong antiviral med. This is my last week of it. Per the physician, it's not a matter of IF I contract CMV, but WHEN. Most transplantees I know that have had CMV spent weeks in hospital.
Well, fuck.
Guess who has CMV? They're quadrupling the anti-viral for three weeks. The side effects are numerous and miserable. It's presenting as low grade mono, which I attributed to the cold I've been unable to shake and seasonal depression.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

I've always heard that bread sticks are to Olive Garden like cheddar Bay biscuits are to Red Lobster. I got to sample the fabled bread sticks today... they were tough, stale, cold, and covered in something vaguely salty that stuck to my teeth.

Also, the catering crew forgot to bring cups.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
I should probably be in the workplace thread, but I started it here...

My work minion who was a really smart, clever and funny young college student has severe brain and spinal damage. Even if he does wake up, he's probably never going to be the same.
I'm sorry and hope your pocket shark bites the driver hard.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I'm sorry and hope your pocket shark bites the driver hard.
Pocket shark? I don't think women have those...

ETA: I even tried finding it on "Obscure Spanish & Basque Slang" websites, but no luck.

Last edited by digs; 12-19-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:55 PM

Her lawyer.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:11 PM

Ah, got it now, thanks...

We're here for you, flatlined! And Go Go Pocket Shark!
Old 12-19-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
I've always heard that bread sticks are to Olive Garden like cheddar Bay biscuits are to Red Lobster. I got to sample the fabled bread sticks today... they were tough, stale, cold, and covered in something vaguely salty that stuck to my teeth.

Also, the catering crew forgot to bring cups.
Ah, catered. Yeah, they aren't much of a treat cold - but fresh out of the oven they are pretty damn good. Of course, almost all bread is great fresh and hot, so that isn't saying much.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
I've always heard that bread sticks are to Olive Garden like cheddar Bay biscuits are to Red Lobster...
I've got a friend who's been known to run into a Red Lobster just for a biscuit.

Ah, there's another "Thread That Someone (Who Has More Free Time Than I Do) Should Start":
What restaurant would you avoid, except they have one item that's worth getting?

Back in the 70s, I used to swing past Arby's just to get curly fries and a Jamocha Shake.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Ah, got it now, thanks...

We're here for you, flatlined! And Go Go Pocket Shark!
Thanks guys! Our Pocket Shark says he can't really push for legal sanctions at this time because we don't know what is going to happen with minion's recovery. After a consult with Jeff's family, PS is hitting drunk with a civil case demanding financial compensation for current damages which is worded to allow another case for other damages as they are discovered. Of course, its fully understood that the family will never get a penny from the drunk cause he doesn't have anything, but if he ever gets his shit together and wants to buy something on credit, hungry, unpaid legal judgements tend to have a nasty bite.

When we know which way to go with the legal case PS will release the suit wearing trunk monkeys.

Karen has started keeping the red kitchen towels on top of the fridge. Karen acts shocked that Missy can jump all the way up there, while being blind to the counter top next to the fridge. I sometimes wonder if Karen is playing us, but if she is, she shouldn't be wasting her time keeping our home when there is a stage out there needing her.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:39 AM

Sigh - and it was going so well... I went to visit son in DC last week. I was a single mom and he is my only child and we have a great relationship except he is under the mistaken impression that I need to be entertained 18 out of the 24 hours of the day. Not only that, he fondly remembers me playing games with him at places like Dave and Buster's and for some ungodly reason, wanted to recreate that while being blind to the fact that I am now 58 years old and fat and was never actually athletic in any sense of the word.

But I probably won't see him again before his next assignment, which will be on an aircraft carrier, and therefore ignore the little screaming voice in my head and we play that basketball game where you have a minute to shoot as many baskets as possible, and then we played some insane Sega game where we were in the Australian Olympic and actually run and jump (badly in my case) and some giant machine where we slapped at lights and now my shoulder hurts like a bitch and I am have unpleasant memories of a frozen shoulder.

It hurts when I don't move it; it really hurts if I move it quickly; I'm afraid to reach for anything above my head and just start whimpering. I managed to get worked in the orthopedic area to see a nurse practitioner the day after Xmas because there isn't a doctor available until the middle on January, and Motrin is doing nothing for me. Low grade constant pain is making me cranky and I was planning to start the process of cat adoption tomorrow. Sigh again. I wanted to sit on the floor and play with kitties, but if I do that now, I won't be able to get up without rolling around on the floor like a weeble wobble. But this thread did remind me to go get my Shingrix!

Last edited by KAndre; 12-20-2019 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Walls of text are bad!
Old 12-20-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Ever have one of those days?

My new ice maker showed up. I cleared a spot for it, unpacked it, sanitized it put the external tank together, went to put it in the spot for it...

And the freaking thing is about a cm too tall to fit where it was supposed to go.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
\I make my living as a tech writer, so having the fingertips damaged is not a good thing.
You'll need this

GD&R

Quote:
Thanks guys! Our Pocket Shark says ...
Pocket Shark, I choose you!

Seriously though, sorry to hear about minion. When I'm appointed dictator for life, DUI involving death or serious injury will be 20 years turning large rocks into small ones.

Quote:
Karen has started keeping the red kitchen towels on top of the fridge. Karen acts shocked that Missy can jump all the way up there, while being blind to the counter top next to the fridge. I sometimes wonder if Karen is playing us, but if she is, she shouldn't be wasting her time keeping our home when there is a stage out there needing her.
Cats are weird. Grandma cat has a nightly ritual where she finds all the cat toys in the house and leaves them at the foot of the bed. Our evening assignment is to distribute the toys back around the house for her to find. One night we neglected our duties and awoke the next morning to find an oven mitt had been added to the collection.

Last edited by Projammer; 12-20-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:34 PM

I'll bet there were lots of goshes and darns happening when you found the measurement error, The Vorlon. Hopefully there are workarounds or some sort of percussion adjustments you can make.

Ya know, Projammer I'm not usually mean and spiteful. I'm usually kind and forgiving. Drunk and otherwise willfully impaired drivers (as well as animal and/or child abusers) do tend to bring out the worse in me. There are no good reasons, no excuses, no extenuating circumstances for that sort of thing.

Hops off soapbox and starts scolding you in Grandma cat's behalf. You only had ONE job, and you failed her. You should consider yourself lucky she didn't pack up her bags and move somewhere with more appreciative slaves!!!

All Karen would have to do to stop the annual hand towel battle is to use any other color but red. I keep telling her that she can't reason with a cat, but she has been known to loudly scold food that isn't cooking to her satisfaction.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:46 PM

The college loan people left a voicemail for me to call them back. They close at 5 on Fridays. I was at work, so I didn't get the message until after 5. Now I can't call them back until I get off work on Monday.

Worrying about wtf CFI wants is not how I wanted to spend my weekend.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The college loan people left a voicemail for me to call them back. They close at 5 on Fridays. I was at work, so I didn't get the message until after 5. Now I can't call them back until I get off work on Monday.

Are these the real college loan people, or the unpleasant people who call me and leave messages about my nonexistent college loan?
Old 12-20-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
Are these the real college loan people, or the unpleasant people who call me and leave messages about my nonexistent college loan?
Real college loan. That's why I'm worrying.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:50 AM

Thanks, flatlined. The mental image of someone yelling at food while it's cooking made me laugh. Then again, I could see myself doing the same. Hell, I spend a shocking amount of time arguing with the Roomba.

Oh, I finally dropped my damn phone and cracked the screen. I use it constantly for everything so it was really just a matter of time, but I'm also 1.) naturally careful and not accident-prone, and 2.) broke as shit, so this is very distressing to me. It's not huge, just a tiny spiderweb off to the side, maybe a centimeter in size if that. But still, DAMMIT!

And continuing the theme of #2 there, my appeal for unemployment was denied. So no money coming in from that avenue. Job hunting has gotten me absolutely nowhere, and a position I really liked even had me do a phone interview and then ghosted me. It's for online essay tutoring, it's not like "the position has been filled" for chrissakes.

Fuck me.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:44 AM

We have an HP printer at work, and I have an HP printer at home. To print labels on the work printer, the page of labels has to be inserted label-side down. To print labels on my home printer, the page of labels has to be inserted label-side up. I can never seem to remember which is correct for a given printer.

Oh, and what's strictly a first-world problem, I have a Band-Aid(r) on the tip of my left index finger, and of course that means my iPhone won't recognize it in order to unlock the phone.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Update: I got an email the next day saying they haven't gotten my income-based repayment recertification paperwork for this year. The reason for that is I haven't gotten that paperwork yet either. After futzing around on the CFI site for twenty minutes I finally found the forms and printed them out.

Why they want this shit done the last week of the year I will never understand. They do realize that most of us in the real world don't get our W-2's until the end of January, right? Oh well, I don't really want to pay based off this year's income anyway.* Last year's will serve for now.

*I got a couple of inheritance payments after my dad's death. Raised my income for the year quite a bit and will subsequently make my IBR go up as well.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:26 AM

One of my co worker, bless her heart, is a crusty 70+ yo country lady who has lived a somewhat sheltered life. Yet she can handle a rifle, ornery cattle and fixes her shit and does woodwork too. She drives me a little batty sometimes but I like her well enough. BUt I did not need to hear how she went at her ingrown thickened toenail with a crochet hook, she was gleeful in the details, aha she says, guess what I did. I innocnently enough said what? then it got gory with the mental images of her ingrown fucking toenail. I mean last year it was the atrophying vagina and now the toe. WHo shares this shit with co workers?

Last edited by chela; 12-22-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chela View Post
I mean last year it was the atrophying vagina and now the toe.
Did she use the same crochet hook on both?
Old 12-22-2019, 04:05 PM

oh jeez,that was a diff old dame, but wouldn't put it past this one, yet could be her brothers homemade catheter too, she's talking to the hand next year, I resolve it!
Old 12-22-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Update: I got an email the next day saying they haven't gotten my income-based repayment recertification paperwork for this year. The reason for that is I haven't gotten that paperwork yet either. After futzing around on the CFI site for twenty minutes I finally found the forms and printed them out.

Why they want this shit done the last week of the year I will never understand. They do realize that most of us in the real world don't get our W-2's until the end of January, right? Oh well, I don't really want to pay based off this year's income anyway.* Last year's will serve for now.

*I got a couple of inheritance payments after my dad's death. Raised my income for the year quite a bit and will subsequently make my IBR go up as well.
You might want to talk to a tax guru on this, inheritances are normally not regarded as income.