Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2016, 08:06 PM

Private pilots who will fly someone to a medical appointment

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction or give me some advice.

I have a friend, mid-60s, who has multiple health problems that have left him very frail. He is considering going to Johns Hopkins where there is a program that deals with one of his medical issues. He lives in Texas.

Given the ordeal that flying has become (even for able-bodied people), he doesn't think he has the stamina to make the trip on a commercial flight from a regular crowded airport. I've heard of people (especially children) being flown privately under such conditions. I'm not talking about for free; OTOH, he doesn't have the resources to charter a flight all to himself. Are there pilots who do this sort of flying?

He walks with crutches, but for long treks through airports, he would need a wheelchair.

Can anyone give me some ideas, tips, advice?

If it turns out a private option is not available, what support/assistance is available from commercial airlines for someone who is pretty seriously disabled? I don't have any experience in this area. Thx.