Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-17-2019, 03:13 AM
russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,815

Proposal for a 17 game NFL season


Recent back and forth between the NFL and the NFLPA in light of a possible work stoppage at the end of the 2020 season has revealed a proposal for a 18 game season, with players getting a blow in two of the games that has been floated out there the last month or so.

Overall, this seems to have been met with avarice, with the two main issues being this would make it difficult for coaches to put together rosters over 18 weeks while allocating the "bye" spots, and isn't it a ripoff to fans who still pay unimaginable prices for tickets to not see their team at their full healthy as possible self?

The NFL owners want 18 games to sell more tickets and TV rights. The NFLPA wants either their players to remain healthy or at least a lot more cash if their players have to play two more regular season games.

Heres my compromise: a 17 game season. The owners and their TV masters get to cash in on at least one more regular season game, while only paying the players for just ONE MORE game.

To make sure each team still gets 8 home games, and only 8 road games?

Each NFL teams plays one "Neutral site game". By my math, with 32 teams, that means 16 of these. With 4-5 of these games already on the NFL schedule is this THAT much of a stretch? And surely this would expand their brand, like the NFL wants to? Here is where the 16 games could be played:

4 "UK/Ireland" games

4 Games in Canada

4 in Mexico

4 in US cities that either want NFL teams or used to host them: San Diego, San Antonio, Portland, Oakland etc etc.

Other sites could include Tokyo and Honolulu

What do you think? Yes? No? Better ideas????
  #2  
Old 08-17-2019, 03:18 AM
Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,657
I'd rather the NFL went to a 18 WEEK season, with two bye weeks. Thursday night games only occur after a bye.

The owners aren't going to get more than sixteen games, especially in today's climate of awareness regarding the dangers of playing football and increased media savvy of many players. They would be better off trying to grow the fan base as they have been - pulling in international fans and improving the at-home experience.
  #3  
Old 08-17-2019, 12:47 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
I'd rather the NFL went to a 18 WEEK season, with two bye weeks. Thursday night games only occur after a bye.
I like the idea, it might be more difficult to schedule but I’m sure they could pull it off.
  #4  
Old 08-17-2019, 01:10 PM
Happy Lendervedder's Avatar
Happy Lendervedder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,215
Quote:
Recent back and forth between the NFL and the NFLPA in light of a possible work stoppage at the end of the 2020 season has revealed a proposal for a 18 game season, with players getting a blow in two of the games that has been floated out there the last month or so.
I've read this sentence a few times, and I for the life of me can't figure out what the bolded part means.
  #5  
Old 08-17-2019, 01:16 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I've read this sentence a few times, and I for the life of me can't figure out what the bolded part means.
I think “blow” is supposed to be “bye”? That would make sense, in an 18 game season if players rest for 2 games they still only play 16 regular season games like they do now. I’ve heard of that idea proposed already.

But I’m just guessing.
  #6  
Old 08-17-2019, 02:47 PM
dalej42 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 14,700
If it ain’t broke, don’t break it. The season is perfect, it starts after Labor Day, summer vacations are wrapped up and everyone is back at work. The season ends in early February. People are done with Dry January and they’re sick of eating salads from their New Year’s Resolutions. Plus, the Super Bowl falls before Lent begins and it won’t conflict with Valentine’s Day.

Plus, late season football can be a dumpster fire. IIRC, the Redskins used 4 QBs last season and no one wants to pay NFL dollars to see a 4th string QB.

Leave it alone.
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42
  #7  
Old 08-17-2019, 06:01 PM
russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I think “blow” is supposed to be “bye”? That would make sense, in an 18 game season if players rest for 2 games they still only play 16 regular season games like they do now. I’ve heard of that idea proposed already.



But I’m just guessing.


It’s a sports term for “day off”. It’s mostly used in baseball.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #8  
Old 08-17-2019, 06:30 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
It’s a sports term for “day off”. It’s mostly used in baseball.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah. Got it.

Football doesn’t have home runs or intentional walks either.
  #9  
Old 08-17-2019, 06:44 PM
That Don Guy's Avatar
That Don Guy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,678
Another problem with the 17-game season: scheduling the 17th game. It would have to be something awkward, like, "In the years where everybody in the the NFC North plays everybody in the NFC South, the NFC North division winner from the previous year plays the NFC East second-place team, East #1 plays North #2, South #1 plays West #2, West #1 plays South #2, and the corresponding #3 and #4 teams play each other."
  #10  
Old 08-17-2019, 06:50 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,518
Hmm, I was curious about the term “blow” as a rest day in baseball, since I’ve been a (casual) fan for years and never heard it. Apparently it’s not a baseball term either from what I can tell, you can “blow” a call or a save but players don’t “get a blow”.

I can’t find it used in that sense for any sport actually. Did I get whooshed perhaps?
  #11  
Old 08-17-2019, 07:38 PM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is online now
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 16,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Hmm, I was curious about the term “blow” as a rest day in baseball, since I’ve been a (casual) fan for years and never heard it. Apparently it’s not a baseball term either from what I can tell, you can “blow” a call or a save but players don’t “get a blow”.
Yeah, in context, I get what it means, but I've been a baseball fan for 40 years, and I've never heard the term in that context with regards to baseball.
  #12  
Old 08-17-2019, 07:50 PM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is online now
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 16,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Another problem with the 17-game season: scheduling the 17th game.
Agreed. With an even number of games, and the current number of teams, the schedule rotation for the 16-game season works pretty brilliantly. I suppose it's possible to work out something sensible for scheduling a 17th game, but I can't picture it offhand, and an odd number of games to the season just feels off, to me.

I think that there's widespread agreement that four preseason games are too many, but looking at the frequency of injuries in the NFL, I really do think that 16 games is enough.
  #13  
Old 08-17-2019, 08:12 PM
D'Anconia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
Overall, this seems to have been met with avarice, with the two main issues being this would make it difficult for coaches to put together rosters over 18 weeks while allocating the "bye" spots, and isn't it a ripoff to fans who still pay unimaginable prices for tickets to not see their team at their full healthy as possible self?
Why would "making it difficult for coaches to put together rosters over 18 weeks" be a form of avarice?
  #14  
Old 08-17-2019, 08:17 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Agreed. With an even number of games, and the current number of teams, the schedule rotation for the 16-game season works pretty brilliantly. I suppose it's possible to work out something sensible for scheduling a 17th game, but I can't picture it offhand, and an odd number of games to the season just feels off, to me.

I think that there's widespread agreement that four preseason games are too many, but looking at the frequency of injuries in the NFL, I really do think that 16 games is enough.
I’d suggest...

Keep the 16 game regular season. 16 games seems like the sweet spot. Though I do like the idea of spreading them over 18 weeks with two byes.

Two preseason games are enough. We don’t need four.

Get rid of the Pro Bowl that nobody watches. The skill drills are fun but the game itself is boring. You never get the best players because they’re either going to the Super Bowl or otherwise declining, the game result doesn’t matter, and the gameplay is neutered so badly it doesn’t even look like pro football.
  #15  
Old 08-19-2019, 03:28 PM
Paintcharge's Avatar
Paintcharge is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 10 sq miles of reality
Posts: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Hmm, I was curious about the term “blow” as a rest day in baseball, since I’ve been a (casual) fan for years and never heard it. Apparently it’s not a baseball term either from what I can tell, you can “blow” a call or a save but players don’t “get a blow”.

I can’t find it used in that sense for any sport actually. Did I get whooshed perhaps?
I've mostly heard it used as someone gets a few play off, not an entire game. And most often in basketball. I have vague recollection of it being a carryover from horse racing...
  #16  
Old 08-19-2019, 07:37 PM
Zakalwe's Avatar
Zakalwe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 4,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
I've mostly heard it used as someone gets a few play off, not an entire game. And most often in basketball. I have vague recollection of it being a carryover from horse racing...
Although weirdly, in horse racing a blow-out is a type of strenuous workout. Usually pretty brief.

Never heard the term applied to baseball for a rest day, nor actually any sport.

As for the OP, ehhh. The end of the schedule is pretty fixed by CFB and the holiday schedule (as noted above), so the extra game(s)/week(s) would need to come out of preseason, but they'd almost have to be all evening games. It's damn hot out there!
  #17  
Old 08-20-2019, 09:12 AM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,724
My idea for the 17th game is to have it be a 'pick em' game. Based on draft order, each team gets to pick their opponent for the 17th game. The game replaces the last pre-season game, so it is the first game of the year, and the remaining 16 games are unchanged from the current system. The game is a home game for the picking team, but the owners agree to a revenue share formula, similar to what they might use for a London game.

I could see the discussions around these choices of opponent being very interesting.

I'd also drop to 2 pre-season games, and add a bye into the regular schedule.
  #18  
Old 08-20-2019, 10:56 AM
enalzi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Another problem with the 17-game season: scheduling the 17th game. It would have to be something awkward, like, "In the years where everybody in the the NFC North plays everybody in the NFC South, the NFC North division winner from the previous year plays the NFC East second-place team, East #1 plays North #2, South #1 plays West #2, West #1 plays South #2, and the corresponding #3 and #4 teams play each other."
I think it they were to add any more games, they should be inter-conference games and you play the opponent that finished the same as you in their division. And then you rotate just like everything else.
  #19  
Old 08-20-2019, 05:58 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,418
they can easily add a week by playing on Labor day weekend , now they start the next weekend.
  #20  
Old 08-20-2019, 06:35 PM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is online now
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 16,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
they can easily add a week by playing on Labor day weekend , now they start the next weekend.
The season used to start on Labor Day weekend, in fact. The league moved the season start back a week about 15 years ago, as they felt that attendance and viewership were depressed due to many fans being away from home (or busy doing other things) for the long weekend.
  #21  
Old 08-20-2019, 07:04 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
they can easily add a week by playing on Labor day weekend , now they start the next weekend.
Temperature may be a factor; Labor Day weekend can be extremely hot. And with climate change it'll only get hotter.
  #22  
Old 08-20-2019, 07:06 PM
enalzi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Temperature may be a factor; Labor Day weekend can be extremely hot. And with climate change it'll only get hotter.
They're already playing in August for preseason. And other than the Florida teams, I think everyone in the south has a dome.
  #23  
Old 08-21-2019, 02:28 AM
russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Yeah, in context, I get what it means, but I've been a baseball fan for 40 years, and I've never heard the term in that context with regards to baseball.

Darren Daulton the captain for the 1993 Philadelphia Phillies NL championship team and the Florida Marlins 1997 World Series Champions used the term all the time on a local baseball sports talk show in Philly. If it's good enough a term for him it's good enough for me but I've heard it from other baseball players. A "blow" is a day off. If you have a problem with me calling an NFL bye week a "blow" maybe there is too much free time on your hands #DONTHIJACKMYTHREAD


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  #24  
Old 08-21-2019, 10:48 AM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is online now
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 16,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
Darren Daulton the captain for the 1993 Philadelphia Phillies NL championship team and the Florida Marlins 1997 World Series Champions used the term all the time on a local baseball sports talk show in Philly. If it's good enough a term for him it's good enough for me but I've heard it from other baseball players. A "blow" is a day off. If you have a problem with me calling an NFL bye week a "blow" maybe there is too much free time on your hands #DONTHIJACKMYTHREAD
1) I wasn't the one who originally disputed your use of the term.

2) You might need a blow from your thread.

I shall not intrude upon your weird threads in the future.
  #25  
Old 08-21-2019, 11:22 AM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
1) I wasn't the one who originally disputed your use of the term.

2) You might need a blow from your thread.

I shall not intrude upon your weird threads in the future.
Same.
  #26  
Old 08-21-2019, 05:07 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 85,429
[Moderating]

Yeah, that might have seemed more gentle in your head, russian heel, but it does come off as a bit harsh. Let's see if we can keep the tone a bit cooler, shall we?

Last edited by Chronos; 08-21-2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to include a name
  #27  
Old 08-21-2019, 09:10 PM
russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]

Yeah, that might have seemed more gentle in your head, russian heel, but it does come off as a bit harsh. Let's see if we can keep the tone a bit cooler, shall we?


Got it. Bad mood yesterday!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #28  
Old 08-22-2019, 05:13 AM
penultima thule is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,139
“with players getting a blow “

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
It’s a sports term for “day off”. It’s mostly used in baseball.
It’s use in US sports is outside my ken. But “to take (or have) a blow” in a slang term for having a break from hard labour dates back to convict times and is still used in context by my family.
  #29  
Old 08-29-2019, 02:27 AM
Zelski is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 95
Here is a Giraffe thread from early in August that touches on some of these topics.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017