Old 10-05-2019, 04:07 PM

How to cook with dry konjac

I find plenty of information on wet/gelatin-like konjac, and on shiratake "noodles." However, what I have in hand is a nice big package of dry konjac blocks. The package says to soak them for 30 minutes in warm water, then cook. The cooking instructionsa I can find easily online are here: https://www.ebuy7.com/item/sichuan-z...il-13914584887

I won't be eating roast duck, so I'm looking for basic preparations of this "snow" konjac. Also, the 2nd ingredient is "starch." Konjac starch? Potato starch? Other form of taro starch? I can't read the packaging, so your help and knowledge are appreciated!
Old 10-14-2019, 05:58 AM

I'm not familiar with the exact product you listed but it's similar to Japanese "shimi konjac", which is frozen konjac that has been dried. This was done to preserve the konjac and to give it a denser texture when eating, similar to that of meat.

For preparation, soak them in warm water for 15-30 minutes and then squeeze out the water. You can repeat this if you wish to fully re-hydrate them. As for recipes, use them as you would for tofu. They soak up broth and sauces very well.