Old 10-11-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Slightly off topic, but I donít feel like raising an old thread: City of Titans (a spiritual successor to CoH) is actually releasing a version later this month to backers. I believe itís the costume creator and a beginning zone to move around in.

First Release.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:51 PM

Flaminatrix has dinged 49, so almost there, finally. I haven't been doing much more lately than running this one XP farm. My internet has been wonky, as described in this thread, and they haven't gotten it fixed yet. This particular farm is short and extremely not-dangerous, so I have a pretty good chance of actually completing it (and getting the bonus tickets on completion) before the internet cuts out again, and I'm not at risk of dying every time I get dumped.

But yeah, with my internet constantly going down and up, regular missions are pretty much a no-go. A couple weeks ago I was doing one of those extremely aggravating Tip missions involving the Carnival of Shadows (the one where you have to rescue some corrupt cops who are hiding out with the Carnies), and three freaking times in a row I fought my way all the way to the end to the first cop, and right there was where the 'net went out. I gave up.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:02 AM

Ahhh. Thanks!

Had some fun with the House of Horrors last night. Apparently, Hellfury tanks like a brick shithouse, even without capped Smash/Lethal resistance. I had to stop hitting the abomination, because my damage auras were exceeding its regeneration.

I still plan to work on her non-farm alternate build, with capped S/L resistance and 11 points of Knockback protection rather than her current 4. Should make for a good AV and Monster killer.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
Flaminatrix has dinged 49, so almost there, finally. I haven't been doing much more lately than running this one XP farm. My internet has been wonky, as described in this thread, and they haven't gotten it fixed yet. This particular farm is short and extremely not-dangerous, so I have a pretty good chance of actually completing it (and getting the bonus tickets on completion) before the internet cuts out again, and I'm not at risk of dying every time I get dumped.

But yeah, with my internet constantly going down and up, regular missions are pretty much a no-go. A couple weeks ago I was doing one of those extremely aggravating Tip missions involving the Carnival of Shadows (the one where you have to rescue some corrupt cops who are hiding out with the Carnies), and three freaking times in a row I fought my way all the way to the end to the first cop, and right there was where the 'net went out. I gave up.
Which farm are you using?
Old 10-14-2019, 09:35 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidGamera View Post
Ahhh. Thanks!

Had some fun with the House of Horrors last night. Apparently, Hellfury tanks like a brick shithouse, even without capped Smash/Lethal resistance. I had to stop hitting the abomination, because my damage auras were exceeding its regeneration.

I still plan to work on her non-farm alternate build, with capped S/L resistance and 11 points of Knockback protection rather than her current 4. Should make for a good AV and Monster killer.
Yes - that was fun last night. I was getting nervous that the zombies weren't spawning fast enough, as the Abomination's health was dropping like a rock.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, once we finished the 99th zombie and all switched to the Abomination, it only had about one attack cycle worth of health left.

Rik, I guess that explains why you didn't join us last night. We were so excited to see four of us on at once!
Old 10-14-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidGamera View Post
Which farm are you using?
"Bads in Space!" There are a number of these, all featuring an "enemy group" called "The Bads", and they're mildly amusing. "Bads in Space" is on the moon/asteroid map, and like all of the Bads, they're level 1 bosses (you get exemped down to level 1). They all wield titan weapons, which is odd because their only attack is "Throwing Knives".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Rik, I guess that explains why you didn't join us last night. We were so excited to see four of us on at once!
Yeah, I was in and out, in and out. I did, however, manage to farm Flaminatrix up to 50, so I've finally joined that club. She's got one full AO set and half of the other AO, and I got the full Devastation set plugged into her Fireball. Got some other sets I'm working on completing. One benefit of all that AE farming is that I can just use tickets for the necessary rare salvage, so my only expense is buying the recipes.

Can I upload images to the Discord? If so I'll post a pic of Flaminatrix's new level 50 costume. I think it's pretty epic
Old 10-14-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

OK, now I'm totally confused about how the XP system works. How I thought it worked was that level 1 monsters gave low XP, but that was OK, because it only takes a little bit of XP to go from 1 to 2. Level 1 bosses, of course, would give more than level 1 minions, but only a few times more. And high-level monsters give a lot of XP, which is OK, because it takes a lot of XP to go from (say) 49 to 50.

But this would mean that a level 49 exemplared down to 1 would only get level 1 XP amounts to fill up level 49 bars, which would take friggin' forever. It seems like it would make more sense to sidekick you up to 49, so even middling-level farmers would get high-level XP to fill up their bars.

And I think I'm also confused about exemplaring. I thought that when you exemplared down to some level, the only powers that were usable were low-level powers. So if you exemplared all the way down to 1, you'd only be able to use the powers you had at first level (a single primary and a single secondary). And nobody would want to farm like that.

So how does it actually work?
Old 10-14-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
But this would mean that a level 49 exemplared down to 1 would only get level 1 XP amounts to fill up level 49 bars, which would take friggin' forever. It seems like it would make more sense to sidekick you up to 49, so even middling-level farmers would get high-level XP to fill up their bars.
It seems to be proportional in some way. I can run, say, a level 4 toon through this farm, and she's level 6 by the end of it. Mind you, this is with the +50% XP buff on. The higher level you are, it takes more repetitions to gain a single level. By level 40+, each repetition of the farm gained me about 1 bubble's worth of XP, which is roughly the same as I see after running one normal mission (very noticeable when running tips - a full run of 10 alignment missions + 1 morality mission usually gains me about 1 level, though of course that depends on how many mobs are in the mission). So past level 40, the only thing that makes the XP farm "faster" for leveling is the fact that you don't have to travel from one mission to the next. And the tickets are a nice bonus.

Quote:
And I think I'm also confused about exemplaring. I thought that when you exemplared down to some level, the only powers that were usable were low-level powers. So if you exemplared all the way down to 1, you'd only be able to use the powers you had at first level (a single primary and a single secondary). And nobody would want to farm like that.
It actually limits you to the level you exemp down to + a few levels. Exemped down to 1, I seem to have the powers I trained up through level 6 or so. That's actually why I just did a respec - training powers in a different level. It was frustrating on my main - a fire/fire blaster - because I didn't train Flares at level 1, I chose Fire Blast instead, then trained Flight at level 4, and didn't pick up Flares until some levels later. The result was that, when exemped down to 1, my available attacks were Fire Blast, Fireball, and Ring of Fire (my immobilize), and RoF was on a different bar from everything else because I never use it. So my available powers weren't grouped neatly together, and it was very awkward.

So I respecced and only selected attacks for the first few levels and left Flight for much later. So now, when I'm exemped to level 1, I have Flares, Fire Blast, Fireball, and Fire Sword available, and those are already grouped together on my main bar, nice and tidy. And they're plenty for this particular farm (and its related farm missions). On new alts, I'm now holding off on travel powers until level 6, so that they will have at least three attacks when exemped down to 1.

Last edited by Mister Rik; 10-14-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Can I upload images to the Discord? If so I'll post a pic of Flaminatrix's new level 50 costume. I think it's pretty epic
There's a Discord?
Old 10-15-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
OK, now I'm totally confused about how the XP system works. How I thought it worked was that level 1 monsters gave low XP, but that was OK, because it only takes a little bit of XP to go from 1 to 2. Level 1 bosses, of course, would give more than level 1 minions, but only a few times more. And high-level monsters give a lot of XP, which is OK, because it takes a lot of XP to go from (say) 49 to 50.

So how does it actually work?
So, I think it's more like "For a minion enemy of a level equal to yours, you get X experience, where X increases with your level, though not in a directly proportionate manner to the XP needed for leveling up."

And yeah, Rik is right - Exemping lets you keep powers within a few levels of your exemped level.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:45 AM

Quote:
That's actually why I just did a respec - training powers in a different level.
Erg - that should have read, "...different order."
Old 10-16-2019, 09:12 AM

I did the Quaterfield TF for the first time on Monday night; 122 merits, plus 122 bonus merits and a notice of the well; but also 3+ hours. Worthwhile, but I don't think I will repeat that one on Hellfury for a while.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

I've been away from the game for a while, now the login screen starts frozen and entering my password is a hassle. I have to tab out and in for it to show up, then out & in again for it to take.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-17-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Got it! Fullscreen somehow got borked, was able to change to borderless and now I can play again. Still doesn't look right, though; need to play windowed.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-17-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Speaking of task forces that are too long, Katie Hammond.

Yes, Katie Hammond. When your team consists of three scrappers, two tanks, a zombie MM, a warshade, and a blaster. It took us about 45 minutes just to get past all of the Marys McDougals.

Jump into range with an attack power pending. Get in one attack, before her hurricane knocks you back. Miss 19 times out of 20, because we had no way of lowering her stupidly-high defenses. Repeat as many times as you can before your sapped endurance forces you to draw back.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Jump into range with an attack power pending. Get in one attack, before her hurricane knocks you back. Miss 19 times out of 20, because we had no way of lowering her stupidly-high defenses. Repeat as many times as you can before your sapped endurance forces you to draw back.
It's not her defense. Hurricane carries a huge ToHit debuff. It's -37.5% for Defender stormies, which is half of a player hero's base ToHit. Every time you ran into the hurricane, you were cutting your chance of hitting her in half. You needed a support character. Offhand, I'd say that emp, kin, rad, or time would have offered the most help (with various combinations of ToHit buffs, Regen debuffs, Defense debuffs, KB protection, and End buffs), but most sets would have sped that fight up for you.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, if I'd known what was in store for us, I'd have switched to my force/rad defender instead of my scrapper.

And speaking of that character, and of lengths of task forces, he was just part of a 2:17 Quatermain TF. High-damage team composition, two Stalkers to go find objectives, and lots of mission teleport-type powers. Not a bad deal, for 250 merits and 4 levels.

And where have you been? I haven't seen you in-game in months.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:16 AM

I've been busy, plus other games have occupied my attention (got obsessed with finishing my Minecraft Skyblock challenge, among other things). I've been on lately, but very late at night. Last night was the first time I was on at the same time as any of the SG in a long while.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:16 AM

The best way I've found to deal with Hurricane-using mobs (Tsoo Sorcerers and Banish Pantheon Storm Shaman, usually) on a melee character is to just keep running away until the duration runs out and then whittle them down before they fire it up again. Kinetic Melee and Energy Melee are pretty effective against them as well, because the Disorient effect in a lot of attacks will, if you can land a hit, cancel the Hurricane.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

That might work for sorcerers and storm shamans, except that this particular AV seemed to have about a half-second of downtime between when it wore off and when she re-cast it.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
That might work for sorcerers and storm shamans, except that this particular AV seemed to have about a half-second of downtime between when it wore off and when she re-cast it.
And with AV regen, you can't afford to spend much time not doing damage, or you end up starting over. It's amazing how much even one good -Regen debuff helps with AVs. (And GMs.) Even so, with Mary, you need something to help you land hits, which is why Dark wasn't on my list of best choices. Dark support would have helped, but not as much as a Rad primary.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
The best way I've found to deal with Hurricane-using mobs (Tsoo Sorcerers and Banish Pantheon Storm Shaman, usually) on a melee character is to just keep running away until the duration runs out and then whittle them down before they fire it up again. Kinetic Melee and Energy Melee are pretty effective against them as well, because the Disorient effect in a lot of attacks will, if you can land a hit, cancel the Hurricane.
My Martial Arts guy is awesome at stunning people. I pop in and hit them right away and stop them from doing it.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Speaking of task forces that are too long, Katie Hammond.

Yes, Katie Hammond. When your team consists of three scrappers, two tanks, a zombie MM, a warshade, and a blaster. It took us about 45 minutes just to get past all of the Marys McDougals.

That was not a fun fight for Hellfury, though she was the one member of her team not to die at some point. We went in at level 32, and Mary was level 36 by the end - add that to the hurricane, and the end drain from the lightning flying around, and it was pretty much my nightmare scenario. Oh, and the running away.

I am doing an alt build for Hellfury with more knockback protection.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:08 PM

I finally ran the House of Horrors this weekend. Found it tedious and dull, but ymmv. Got in a MSR on my brute, got 2.5 levels of experience and I missed out on the pylons. Also ran Summer Block Buster again on my dark/dark corrupter. Team had another corrupter, a defender, and an Arcanos Soldier. We debuffed the shit out of everything, and just steamrolled. Smoothest run I've ever done.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:17 AM

The House of Horrors doesn't have a lot of replay value, but I do love the visual assets.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

I saw last night that I'm the Perfect Master. What!? This tyranny must end!

So, who should have the supergroup leadership?
Old 10-22-2019, 02:33 PM

I finally got Bal back to 50 last night, in a surprisingly fast-rolling pickup Sara Moore TF. Then I unlocked my Alpha Incarnate slot, which also went faster than I expected. I'm not sure if the elite bosses were easier to deal with because I have more efficient slotting this time around, or if something else has changed, but Trapdoor and the Honoree folded like cheap suits. (The Echo of Minos took longer, but only because he triggers Unstoppable at low health.) I took time to get a Shivan shard for support, but didn't need it. Now I just need to farm up the stuff to actually start making Alpha powers.

I still need to run House of Horrors for the badges. I think I've got all the other event badges now.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:51 PM

Thanks to this thread, I've been trying to get back into CoH for the past week or so. The rubber-banding, though, is killing me. I've got almost as good a connection as I can here in Edmonton, but I guess the distance from the servers is what's doing me in.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
I

So, who should have the supergroup leadership?
Not it!
Old 10-22-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Well, there are about 8,072 candidates for the position, but 8,061 of them are Mr. Rik.

One is reminded of Ponder Stibbons' coup of the Unseen University.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:54 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Any advice on taking out Nosferatu in the Ouroboros story arc? He's kicking my butt.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Any advice on taking out Nosferatu in the Ouroboros story arc? He's kicking my butt.
Bring friends or outlevel him. He's stupidly overpowered and has a massive self-heal that goes off when you finally manage to wear him down. Picking up a Shivan from Bloody Bay might help, if you're determined to solo him and don't mind going into a PvP zone for a temp power.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

He kicked my butt, too. None of the other Dopers were on at the time, so I got help from someone in the LFG channel... who ended up killing him using a Shivan from Bloody Bay, and then took me there and showed me how to get more.

FTR, the PVP zones on Everlasting aren't insta-gank zones like I expected they'd be. In fact, I think that people harvesting meteors are generally the only ones there.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
Thanks to this thread, I've been trying to get back into CoH for the past week or so. The rubber-banding, though, is killing me. I've got almost as good a connection as I can here in Edmonton, but I guess the distance from the servers is what's doing me in.
Hmm, the servers are located in Canada, though not sure exactly where.

Quote:
Well, there are about 8,072 candidates for the position, but 8,061 of them are Mr. Rik.

One is reminded of Ponder Stibbons' coup of the Unseen University.
LOL

Actually, though, I think only six or eight of my alts are in CECIL.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:23 AM

Congrats, Bal! I need to get a Sara Moore in tonight..
-Official Doper Brat #007- When life gives you harlequins, make a harlequinade.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera / I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina. / I defend the little kids/ and I level downtown Tokyo/ in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

The coup was successful! Balanced has now taken over the supergroup leadership. Because when I asked in game if he wanted it, he said "it doesn't matter". That's the kind of passion we need, so I handed the fasces over to him.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:53 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Wow, it's just like when I was nominated and elected president of an Theatre Alumni Association while I was in the bathroom.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
The coup was successful! Balanced has now taken over the supergroup leadership. Because when I asked in game if he wanted it, he said "it doesn't matter". That's the kind of passion we need, so I handed the fasces over to him.
In recognition of this...er, honor, I went and got the "Knows No Fear" badge, so I can be a Fearless Leader.

Well, really, it was one of my most perversely cherished badges on Bal in the old days, because obtaining it is grueling, while also being a reminder of how far mission design had come. The Dark Astoria/Incarnate arcs give you better opportunities to feel like your character is really a badass than anything else in the game, and the mission for that badge is one of the reasons.

SPOILER:
It's the finale of Sister Solaris's arc in Cimerora, and you're told that an army of monsters is about to descend upon the battered city-state. They want you to lead the heroes of Cimerora against the army...but the mission gives you a choice: you can take them with you, and basically have the entire Freedom Phalanx as backup...or you can tell them to stay behind and protect the city, because you will take on the army alone. The latter choice unlocks the badge when you finish the mission.

Then you get into the mission and find out that they weren't kidding around--it's an army. It's full of spawns of 20+ Talons of Vengeance and packs of bosses (10 bosses in each spawn, I think), in tight enough groups that single and small pulls are almost impossible. The final encounter has two elite bosses, surrounded by several regular bosses. And it's a defeat-all mission--there are objectives for taking out each part of the army.

The mission took me over an hour, and I had to make several trips out for more inspirations, but I wear the badge as validation of my stance that Defenders--and specifically Empaths--can solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Wow, it's just like when I was nominated and elected president of an Theatre Alumni Association while I was in the bathroom.
I hear you. I've been president of a gaming organization for more than 10 years now because my phone died during a meeting. The rest of the board nominated me and voted while I switched phones, and I've been stuck with it since.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:14 PM

You know, there's one thing that always bugged me about CoH, and it's still a problem- the hoarding of good superhero names. It's worse, now, in that accounts are free and you get a thousand or so slots. Even obscure names I used back in the day aren't available.

I know they're working on a way to clear up names for future use, but it can't get here soon enough. This was one way in which Champions was superior, in my opinion- names were per-account instead of per-server, so technically everyone had names like "bob"@"foo", but only the first part was shown. I wish they could switch over to that, but I realize that would likely be non-trivial.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You know, there's one thing that always bugged me about CoH, and it's still a problem- the hoarding of good superhero names. It's worse, now, in that accounts are free and you get a thousand or so slots. Even obscure names I used back in the day aren't available.
This is why I have Tarmonpesae the Electric/Electric Blaster and Fantomas the Illusion/Bubbles Controller.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:

I know they're working on a way to clear up names for future use, but it can't get here soon enough. This was one way in which Champions was superior, in my opinion- names were per-account instead of per-server, so technically everyone had names like "bob"@"foo", but only the first part was shown. I wish they could switch over to that, but I realize that would likely be non-trivial.
Itís funny but I never have problems finding names I like for my characters without having to do F@stGuy111426 like you see in DC Universe Online.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
One one hand, my Homecoming character, "Teardrops", was just plain "Teardrop" back on live, but I had to tag the S onto it because somebody beat me to it on Everlasting. She is, surprisingly, the only one of my many resurrected alts that had to alter her name.

On the other hand, I was able to get "Captain Apple" for my 71st alt, a name I couldn't get back on live. He's a superhero I created "on paper" nearly 30 years ago as a "small-town local hero" for my hometown of Wenatchee, WA, "The Apple Capitol of the World". He technically has no superpowers, so I gave him Staff Fighting/Willpower, Natural origin, which actually isn't too far off from my original concept. I did go ahead and give him Flight, though, because the game won't let me make him ride a bicycle

Last edited by Mister Rik; 10-24-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

I did run into that problem with the Stalker I just made, but the name I wanted for him was something like "_____".
Old 10-25-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
On the other hand, I was able to get "Captain Apple" for my 71st alt, a name I couldn't get back on live. He's a superhero I created "on paper" nearly 30 years ago as a "small-town local hero" for my hometown of Wenatchee, WA, "The Apple Capitol of the World". He technically has no superpowers, so I gave him Staff Fighting/Willpower, Natural origin, which actually isn't too far off from my original concept. I did go ahead and give him Flight, though, because the game won't let me make him ride a bicycle
I haven't recreated him (since I don't really care to play a tank), but I was able to get "Regular Joe" as a name for my Natural tank on the live servers years into the game's life. You'd think someone would have taken that, especially on Virtue.

On the other hand, despite creating Balanced right at launch, I had to stick the "d" on the end, because "Balance" was taken. I've never had to resort to numbers or random characters, though. There are lots of fun names still out there, though some take a combination of creativity and downright weirdness to find.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I did go ahead and give him Flight, though, because the game won't let me make him ride a bicycle
I've had at least one Natural flyer. Douglas Adams technique.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
I've had at least one Natural flyer. Douglas Adams technique.
Regular Joe's flight was from rocket boots he scavenged while helping clean up after someone else's super-battle. You would expect to find all kinds of leftover bits of super-gear in Paragon City in the wake of the Rikti War, even if no one can figure out how most of it works. I had another character, Heir Power, who had a bunch of heroes in his family and inherited all of their alphatech and magic gear when they died in the war.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:38 PM

I kinda like the names being unique. Marvel Heroes was plagued by the reverse issue -- you could have teams composed entirely of the same hero. Or mixes like 5 Hulks and 3 Dr. Stranges.

I agree that it's frustrating when you want a specific name though.

Last edited by Sailboat; 10-25-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:39 PM

I still remember the episode of The Tick (the cartoon) where another character called The Tick showed up and they had to battle for the name.
https://the-tick-animated.fandom.com...k_vs._The_Tick
You know that would totally happen in a superhero world.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

And yet, there get to be two guys named Faultline.