Old 10-17-2019, 11:59 AM

I already gave my personal opinion of Benatar, and whatever the HoF selection criteria are, they're clearly not about what wows me personally. If the Lovin' Spoonful and Traffic are in there, I don't see how you could argue on the grounds of either record sales or artistic merit that Pat Benatar would be stinking up the place. (And btw, Linda Ronstadt is already in).
Old 10-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
at this point, I think it more likely that Rodgers gets in by himself, and as a producer as much as a performer.
In 2017, Rodgers was inducted by himself as a producer, excuse me, "Award for Musical Excellence". But his HOF bio mostly talks about his production work.

ETA: Hmm.. George Martin, obviously in for being a producer, is in as a "Non-Performer", so who knows what "Award for Musical Excellence" actually means.

Last edited by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness; 10-17-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:13 PM

Here is a complete list of inductees, by the way.

I see that Donna Summer and Janet Jackson are in, so I don't see how Whitney Houston could be kept out. Clearly the "no pop acts" boat sailed a long time ago.

So if we're putting 5 in, my votes are for Motorhead, Whitney, Kraftwerk, and I guess NiN and Biggie. I don't really know anything about the last two, but I've at least heard of them even though their genres aren't my thing. I doubt a young person who only listens to rap, for instance, would even have heard of Pat Benatar or Depeche Mode, so I infer that they were more major figures in their particular corner of the rock universe than those acts were in theirs.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Maybe Linda Rondstadt, Kim Carnes, and Lita Ford are on deck.
Linda Ronstadt was inducted in 2014.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

If I'm picking 5, the no-brainers would be MC5 and Kraftwerk for me. After that? I guess Biggie and Whitney [though I have reservations about non-rock acts being in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, but leaving those issues aside, judging by influence, talent, musicianship, etc., they have to be in) and the last one? Motorhead. Or, wait, maybe Todd Rundren. Something like that.

I can see good arguments being made for much of the rest, though. My least favorite of that bunch would be Dave Matthews and The Doobies. I mean, I don't hate their music necessarily (and I love Carter Beauford of DMB -- I did see them once in a festival, and they were musically tight as hell) -- I just don't feel they are HoF material.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Linda Ronstadt was inducted in 2014.
Ugh. Wow, they're already in the dregs then.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:34 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
In 2017, Rodgers was inducted by himself as a producer, excuse me, "Award for Musical Excellence". But his HOF bio mostly talks about his production work.
Clearly, I need to stop posting about who is or isn't in the Hall, or nominated, as I'm 0 for 2.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:37 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Ugh. Wow, they're already in the dregs then.
Well, it also begs an interesting question, to me (though maybe it should get its own thread): which performers, who are not yet eligible for the Hall, but will become eligible in the next few years, are likely to get in (or worthy to get in)?

A performer or group is eligible for election once 25 years has elapsed since the release of their first record (or, I imagine, equivalent recording), which I realized means that Britney Spears will be eligible in 2024 (her first album was released in early 1999).

Last edited by kenobi 65; 10-17-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

It's been the Hall Of The Pretty Good, Well Half-Decent Anyway for most of its existence.

The Dave Matthews Band, as a symbol of very popular mediocrity, would fit right in.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
"Kick out the Jams" is one of the best live albums ever recorded, and their sound was one of the building blocks of what would come to be known as punk. To put it one way, they were alternative before there was anything to be the alternative to, and they easily belong in the HOF by virtue of how many bands were influenced by their sound.

Here's the title track (explicit lyrics).
I like that! Thanks.
Considering I listened to Detroit radio growing up, I have never heard these guys before.

I have heard mention of them in HoF threads but figured they were some hip-hop band or something.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Well, it also begs an interesting question, to me (though maybe it should get its own thread): which performers, who are not yet eligible for the Hall, but will become eligible in the next few years, are likely to get in (or worthy to get in)?
Go-Go's? (Hell, if Linda and Pat are in, they should be. At least they wrote their own songs and played their own instruments. Bjork? I'd put her in way before Linda and Pat for writing her own music, eclectic musical tastes, and being influential. Might be a tough "rock n roll" sell, but if Kraftwerk and Depeche Mode eventually get in, she should.

ETA: I picked them, not because they'll soon become eligible (I think they both are already), but because they should get in soon-ish.

Last edited by Hamlet; 10-17-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:51 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Go-Go's? (Hell, if Linda and Pat are in, they should be. At least they wrote their own songs and played their own instruments. Bjork? I'd put her in way before Linda and Pat for writing her own music, eclectic musical tastes, and being influential. Might be a tough "rock n roll" sell, but if Kraftwerk and Depeche Mode eventually get in, she should.
Both are, in fact, already eligible. The Go-Gos first album was released in 1981, so they've been eligible for over a decade; Bjork's first solo album came out in 1993, so she became eligible last year.

I might put Bjork in a similar spot with Kate Bush (who was nominated last year) -- much more popular outside the U.S., which I suspect is a factor in lack of support for induction.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A couple of predictions, with no comments as to worthiness, just the politics of the thing:

Foo Fighters will be eligible next year. It seems that everyone in the business likes Dave Grohl, plus there's the Nirvana connection. I'd say they'll be inducted their first year of eligibility. Personally, I loved the first two albums, but lost interest around the 4th album as it just sounded like more of the same.

Given that almost every music critic on the planet had a massive boner for them in the early 00s, The White Stripes are a lock when they become eligible in 2024.

We will never see a hardcore punk or death metal band inducted. But I never thought we'd see any prog bands beyond Genesis and Pink Floyd inducted and I turned out to be wrong there.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:02 PM

Well, scrolling down on the link I posted in 53, I find a list of those who have been nominated but never inducted; which, weirdly enough, is far SHORTER than the list of actual inductees, leaving me to suspect that almost everyone who gets nominated eventually gets in.

Bad Brains and the Replacements have been nominated in the past; neither would make my personal top 50 list of hardcore punk bands, but they were definitely part of that scene.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:25 PM

Hamlet: I agree with your comments on Pat Benatar. And I think the same can also be said about Joan Jett, yet she was inducted in 2015.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:40 PM

So who's the very shittiest act in the Hall? I'm leaning towards Chicago, but it's hard to count out the Bee Gees, Cheap Trick, the Eagles, Def Leppard, Donovan, or James Taylor.

Last edited by Thing Fish; 10-17-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
So who's the very shittiest act in the Hall? I'm leaning towards Chicago, but it's hard to count out the Bee Gees, Cheap Trick, the Eagles, Def Leppard, Donovan, or James Taylor.
Oh, hell no to Cheap Trick being a shitty act. Are you kidding me? One of the great power pop bands of all time, and strongly influential to anyone with an ear for pop melodies!
Old 10-17-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
The only one I might disagree with here is Def Leppard; the rest are very good and accomplished artists, yes even the Bee Gees! (The pre-disco Bee Gees were phenomenal!)

Last edited by Leaffan; 10-17-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
The only one I might disagree with here is Def Leppard; the rest are very good and accomplished artists, yes even the Bee Gees! (The pre-disco Bee Gees were phenomenal!)
And the Bee Gees were great at disco too. They were just all round great songwriters, and well worthy of a place in any hall of fame.

Def Leppard though
Old 10-17-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Hard to take any such organisation seriously when Kraftwerk were not inducted decades ago.
You'd be hard pressed to find too many artists as influential as Kraftwerk in or out of the Hall.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Donovan ant Taylor were great songwriters and all the rest definitely deserve induction. Even Chicago started out great before they turned to mediocrity, and their success after that puts them in the running.

And the only reason to dis the Eagles is to show you saw The Big Lebowski
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yookeroo View Post
You'd be hard pressed to find too many artists as influential as Kraftwerk in or out of the Hall.
Here's Kraftwerk having a bit of a "Marty McFly/Chuck Berry's cousin in 1955" moment from 1970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWUiLJnEYJI
Old 10-17-2019, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Of those, only Donovan is weak. The others are all bona fide HoF acts.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post

ETA: Hmm.. George Martin, obviously in for being a producer, is in as a "Non-Performer", so who knows what "Award for Musical Excellence" actually means.
The Hall has tweaked the other categories over the years. In the past, Performer and Non-Performer were quite distinct. But a few years ago, the Hall removed Non-Performer as a category and replaced it with an annual Award for Musical Excellence, which is a broader category. Some inductees are strict non-performers, but it has also been used for people who wear a lot of hats in the music business, or people whose performing career is split over several acts. Leon Russell and Nile Rogers both get in this way. If Todd Rundgren doesn't get in as a performer in the next few years, he will probably be inducted for the Award for Musical Excellence.

Interestingly, Chic was nominated seven times but not inducted, but they haven't been nominated since Nile Rogers got in.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
If Todd Rundgren doesn't get in as a performer in the next few years, he will probably be inducted for the Award for Musical Excellence.
I'm a huge Todd fan, and think he should get in for his music both solo and with Utopia, but I'm a realist about his chances. He's constantly changed his style, and that is not how you get into the Hall of Fame. And he's never had the sales to be anything other than "Todd Who?" to the majority of the public and the voting members.

On the other hand, as the producer of Badfinger, Grand Funk "We're An American Band", XTC "Skylarking" and Meatloaf "Bat Out of Hell" he's a shoe-in.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
So who's the very shittiest act in the Hall?
Easy Question. The Lovin' Spoonful
Old 10-18-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Chicago??

I think the HoF is as full of shit as anyone else here, but if any group deserves to be in there, it's Chicago. They were one of the biggest and highest selling musical acts of the 1970s. That's like saying Springsteen or R.E.M. doesn't belong.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:32 PM

Not sure.

Depeche Mode
Kraftwerk
MC5
Motörhead
T. Rex

?
Et d’où ma vie s’égoutte au moindre mouvement
Old 10-18-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Chicago??

I think the HoF is as full of shit as anyone else here, but if any group deserves to be in there, it's Chicago. They were one of the biggest and highest selling musical acts of the 1970s. That's like saying Springsteen or R.E.M. doesn't belong.
I checked Wikipedia’s list of music acts ranked by career record sales.

I concede that ALMOST everyone who sold anywhere near as many albums as Chicago are in the Hall. In fact, if they weren’t in the Hall, they would be the very MOST commercially successful rock act (as defined by Wikipedia) to be denied that honor.

On the other hand: they didn’t sell as many records as either Coldplay or Linkin Park, who are both nearly eligible.

And the list of eligible candidates who aren’t in is currently headed by Cher, Foreigner, Meat Loaf, Alabama, and Bryan Adams. They all sold ALMOST as many records as Chicago, and I think the HoF can get along without any of them.

They’re right around the level of commercial success where sucking won’t keep you out of the Hall, but they’re not clearly on the safe side of the line.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I checked Wikipedia’s list of music acts ranked by career record sales.

I concede that ALMOST everyone who sold anywhere near as many albums as Chicago are in the Hall. In fact, if they weren’t in the Hall, they would be the very MOST commercially successful rock act (as defined by Wikipedia) to be denied that honor.

On the other hand: they didn’t sell as many records as either Coldplay or Linkin Park, who are both nearly eligible.

And the list of highest selling eligible candidates who aren’t in is currently headed by Cher, Foreigner, Meat Loaf, Alabama, and Bryan Adams. They all sold ALMOST as many records as Chicago, and I think the HoF can get along without any of them.

They’re right around the level of commercial success where sucking won’t keep you out of the Hall, but they’re not clearly on the safe side of the line.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:37 PM

If Nirvana is in then Soundgarden should be in. They should have been in before Nirvana
Old 10-19-2019, 08:03 AM

Absolutely not: Pat Benatar, Dave Mathews Band, Whitney Houston, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, The Notorious B.I.G.,

Probably not: T. Rex, Thin Lizzy

No (informed) opinion: Depeche Mode, Judas Priest, Motörhead

Not a fan, but might belong: The Doobie Brothers

Not quite making the cut: Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden

Absolutely in: Kraftwerk, MC5, Todd Rundgren

ETA: and Jethro Tull!

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 10-19-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Absolutely not: Pat Benatar, Dave Mathews Band, Whitney Houston, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, The Notorious B.I.G.,

Probably not: T. Rex, Thin Lizzy

No (informed) opinion: Depeche Mode, Judas Priest, Motörhead

Not a fan, but might belong: The Doobie Brothers

Not quite making the cut: Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden

Absolutely in: Kraftwerk, MC5, Todd Rundgren

ETA: and Jethro Tull!
If 'Pac is in, Biggie needs to be in. Biggie gets in on whatever iterative ballot 2Pac came in on (first year, second, whatever it was). Call it the Popular in America Music Hall of Fame if you want instead, but that 'is it rock and roll though?' horse left the barn a long time ago.

I have no idea what the criteria are, unlike pro sports hall of fames, so I'll try to make my picks an amalgam of: what I liked/listened to when they were popular, commercial success, critical acclaim. Oh, and older bands over younger. This is kind of a Lifetime Achievement Award anyway.

1. Biggie if it's his turn, otherwise Whitney Houston. Whitney gets in as selection #2 anyway.
2. Judas Priest. Probably only get one of them or Motorhead this time around, and Lemmy's dead already, Rob isn't. Time to rewatch their US Festival set.
3. NIN. Innovative, interesting, commercially successful.
4. Thin Lizzy. Fun to listen to, great live, some commercial success. As groundbreaking as the MC5 or Kraftwerk, or Rundgren? Nope. Do I have those bands' songs in my media library? (I probably do have Rundgren-produced songs there.) No. I do have Thin Lizzy's.
5. T. Rex. I don't think we get glam without him. Which is maybe good or bad, depending.

Bands I ran out of room for: Depeche, Soundgarden, Motorhead.

Bands I think should get in w/o my uninformed vote: the Doobies, Kraftwerk, Todd, MC5.

Bands that will get in, but shouldn't: Pat Benatar. Ask if this artist gets in if they're named Patrick Benatar instead. DMB. Is Hootie already in?

Bands I don't know enough about: Rufus.

That should be all of them. EDIT: this should be a poll, like the SDMB MLB HoF votes.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 10-19-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Jays Fan

The continued snubbing of Weird Al Yankovic is a disgrace. Yes, I'm serious.

Anyway, I too am uninspired by this list. I guess Judas Priest, Whitney and Depeche Mode deserve it, but they're not inner circle choices.

I would have also nominated Sarah McLachlan, who is at worst in the middle of this pack; her career has been at least as impressive as half these acts, and she gets a lot of bonus points for being the mind behind Lilith Fair.

Last edited by RickJay; 10-19-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The continued snubbing of Weird Al Yankovic is a disgrace. Yes, I'm serious.

Anyway, I too am uninspired by this list. I guess Judas Priest, Whitney and Depeche Mode deserve it, but they're not inner circle choices.

I would have also nominated Sarah McLachlan, who is at worst in the middle of this pack; her career has been at least as impressive as half these acts, and she gets a lot of bonus points for being the mind behind Lilith Fair.
Agreed. I'd put Weird Al in ahead of T Rex and Thin Lizzy.

For Ms. I Make People Cry For the ASPCA, she has 6 Billboard 200 Top Ten hits. Is that enough, compared to others on the list? Probably. And as you say, coming up with Lilith Fair helps her case a lot. Right, Mr. Geldof? Sure, put her on the ballot.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:43 PM

I can’t believe the likes of Pat Benatar and Rufus are nominated while the following acts remain snubbed (correct me if I’m wrong):

Bad Company
Boston
Chubby Checker
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Peter Frampton
J. Geils Band
Grand Funk Railroad
The Guess Who
Humble Pie
Jethro Tull
Carole King
Love
Mott the Hoople
Iggy Pop (solo)
Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels
Boz Scaggs
Steppenwolf
Ten Years After
Three Dog Night
Warren Zevon

I think each of these belong.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I don't see any misses there.

I'm not sure which of those I think is a terrible miss. I'd put some in for sure, bvut at this point, the RRHOF has inducted everyone who is a no brainer (and is eligible.) No one on the level of Aerosmith, Eric Clapton or Michael Jackson is left out.

I actually think right now the biggest snub is OutKast, but they have only been eligible for a few years. Them or Weird Al, which is a hard comparison to make. Those are the first two acts I'd induct right now.

Last edited by RickJay; 10-20-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:41 PM

Depeche Mode should be delayed until we can induct them and KMFDM at the same time...
Old 10-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I can’t believe the likes of Pat Benatar and Rufus are nominated while the following acts remain snubbed (correct me if I’m wrong):

Bad Company
Boston
Chubby Checker
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Peter Frampton
J. Geils Band
Grand Funk Railroad
The Guess Who
Humble Pie
Jethro Tull
Carole King
Love
Mott the Hoople
Iggy Pop (solo)
Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels
Boz Scaggs
Steppenwolf
Ten Years After
Three Dog Night
Warren Zevon

I think each of these belong.
The one performer whom you list that I think is a *huge* miss by the Hall is Carole King, but I see that she was inducted as a writer (along with Gerry Goffin) in 1990. I suspect that the nominating committee figures that she doesn't also need to be inducted as a performer, as well (she's only been nominated as a performer once, in 1989).

And, yet, she has nine gold albums (including Tapestry, which is #36 on Rolling Stone's list of the top 500 rock albums), and eleven top 40 singles, and is seen as extremely influential, in particular by many female peformers.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 10-20-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:54 PM
Charter Jays Fan

The distinctions between writing and performing and all that adds a strange element of confusion, because I assumed Carole King was in. And she IS in, as she should be. The idea that she is being snubbed by not being inducted again is, well, kind of bizarre.

Imagine, say, a Baseball Hall of Fame where you got into an argument with a guy who said Joe Torre should be in the Hall of Fame. In confusion, because you were pretty sure he was, you Google it and... uh, he is, so what the hell? And your friend says, "Yeah... as a manager! They should induct him again as a catcher!" (I am sorry to always go to baseball for my analogies - but baseball kind of invented the concept, and unfortunately, many of the errors of the Baseball Hall of Fame have been visited on all the copycats.)

Of course the RRHOF also gets into added levels of complication in that you have to induct groups as well as individuals; it would make very little sense to not have the Beatles in, but the honoring of John Lennon as a solo artist kind of has to be a separate thing.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by split p&j View Post
If Nirvana is in then Soundgarden should be in. They should have been in before Nirvana
Pearl Jam is in as well.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:30 PM

Smashing Pumpkins would likely be in if they had actually stopped in 2000. Putting the band back together with a bunch of hired hands and crappy albums diminished whatever esteem they were once held in.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Does anyone really count that sort of thing against a band? The Stones haven't made a good song in thirty years, but no one seems to think that cancels out the preceding 25 years.

Every band and artist that doesn't die of an overdose or in a plane crash earns the right to have a long period of making bad music or just playing old music in casinos to earn more money, and good for them.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Does anyone really count that sort of thing against a band? The Stones haven't made a good song in thirty years, but no one seems to think that cancels out the preceding 25 years.
To be fair, the Stones were already in the Hall of Fame thirty years ago.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Well, yeah. But if they founded it last year, the Stones would still be in.

I think most people who have read up on how the RRHOF works would agree the selection process is kind of stupid, and to a large extent is a list of artists Jann Wenner likes. If we had an SDMB RRHOF (which I'd prefer to call the "Hall of Fame of Popular Music" to get past that inevitable goddamn argument) and there's a damn cool idea right there, the resulting list of inductees would likely be very different once you got past the inner circle.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Well, yeah, case in point. Should not writing your own songs count against you? I tend to think not, but either perspective is equally valid, and they lead to radically different opinions on who deserves to be enshrined.
It's not that not writing your own songs should count against you. It's that it shouldn't count FOR you. It's one of a number of considerations, and Pat Benatar largely doesn't get that point. As has been pointed out, if you hit the other stuff super hard it's not a disqualifier; Aretha's in. It's just a consideration.

The RRHOF wouldn't be any worse with Pat Benatar in it, but it wouldn't be any worse without her, really. She was a big star and had some good songs but I don't think anyone thinks of her as a particularly important or influential musician.

I mean, if you listed ALL the popular music acts of all time - by any measurement you want - where is Pat Benatar? Is she in the top ten? Obviously not. Top fifty? No, no way. She isn't in the top hundred. In Rolling Stone's "top 100 artists" lists, 91 through 100 are Tom Petty, Guns 'N Roses, Booker T and the MGs, NIN, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Diana Ross and the Supremes (that's kind of a cheat) REM, Curtis Mayfield, Carl Perkins, and Talking Heads, and Pat ain't in that class.

We can now get into a largely pointless argument as to whether she's 189th, 273rd or 814th, and Rolling Stone gets a lot of picks very wrong, but beyond the obvious fact that the Beatles and Elvis are way ahead of Pearl Jam who are way ahead of Herman's Hermits, placing Pat Benatar somewhere is impossible to agree on. What I do know is that up to this point, there are 221 artists in the RRHOF (which includes the same person sometimes where and individual and a band are both in) and I am REALLY not at all sure Pat Benatar is one of the 221 best artists in the history of popular music.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hard no on the Doobies. All the worthwhile bands of the classic era are already in. Let last year’s selection of the Zombies remain the bottom of the barrel from that group.
Seriously? The Doobies were huge in the 70's. Five top 10 albums, a bunch of hit singles... they were one of the defining bands of that era. They were also great musicians.

I was confused hy Dave Matthews band, but I looked them up and surprisingly discovered they have sold 34.5 million records - tied with Bon Jovi, Queen, and Britney Spears. Who the hell is buying all those Dave Matthews records? I thought they were primarily a 'jam band' good only for open air concerts in front of a bunch of heavily stoned people. Apparently, people listen to their stuff at home, too.

My personal disappointment is the perpetual lack of Warren Zevon. But given that he would have hated being in the RRHOF, and that he spent part of his career pissing off Jan Wenner, it's probably never going to happen.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:56 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Seriously? The Doobies were huge in the 70's. Five top 10 albums, a bunch of hit singles... they were one of the defining bands of that era. They were also great musicians.

I was confused hy Dave Matthews band, but I looked them up and surprisingly discovered they have sold 34.5 million records - tied with Bon Jovi, Queen, and Britney Spears. Who the hell is buying all those Dave Matthews records? I thought they were primarily a 'jam band' good only for open air concerts in front of a bunch of heavily stoned people. Apparently, people listen to their stuff at home, too.
Dave Matthews Band were huge in the 90s, which was the absolute zenith of the record industry, in terms of album sales. I mean, not that they weren't really popular, but X albums sold is less impressive in 1998 than it would be in any other year ending in "8."

You know who the all time highest selling solo artist of all time, by album sales, is? EVER? Don't look it up, try to guess.

SPOILER:
Garth Brooks

90s all the way, baby.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Oh, hell no to Cheap Trick being a shitty act. Are you kidding me? One of the great power pop bands of all time, and strongly influential to anyone with an ear for pop melodies!
I'll hold your coat, pulykamell.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:49 PM

It's funny, but when I think of Pat Benatar, my gut reaction is a "pioneer," but when I stop to think about it, I have a hard time coming up with anything specific. Pioneer in that genre of rock that's harder than Bonnie Tyler and softer than Joan Jett?

As for not writing her own songs, that's a tough one. I see the point, on the other hand, the difference between Troy Aikman being in the football hall of fame and Andrew Luck (presumably) never getting in is in large part the people that made up the offensive line.

As for the Dave Matthews Band, I just file that under the "WWE Koko B Ware" rule...