Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #38101  
Old 10-20-2019, 04:07 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMarch View Post
Perhaps he got the idea from when he invited the family of a murder victim to meet with the murderer (who is actively hiding behind a shield of diplomatic immunity) so they could all hug it out and make up?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/16/polit...rump-intl-gbr/
As poorly as that was done, it actually could have been amusing had he offered the parents diplomatic immunity before telling them that she was in the next room.
  #38102  
Old 10-20-2019, 04:27 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 11,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
No kidding!!!
I kinda suspect Perry somehow sees himself getting set up by this administration and wants out before he gets embarrassed. Perry may sound like a dumb backwoods Texan, but you don't win in Texas politics by being a moron.
  #38103  
Old 10-20-2019, 04:29 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I kinda suspect Perry somehow sees himself getting set up by this administration and wants out before he gets embarrassed. Perry may sound like a dumb backwoods Texan, but you don't win in Texas politics by being a moron.
Ted Cruz.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 10-20-2019 at 04:30 PM.
  #38104  
Old 10-20-2019, 04:34 PM
raventhief's Avatar
raventhief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Can't tell you where I read it, but he's already said that.
Didn't realize that. I mean - he couldn't really think that Vladdy crashing the conference could possibly be doable, right?

Right?
  #38105  
Old 10-20-2019, 04:35 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 11,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Ted Cruz.
Ted Cruz may be a reptile, but he's an intelligent reptile. It's just that sometimes he's too reptilian even by Texas rattlesnake standards.
  #38106  
Old 10-20-2019, 04:40 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 29,149
I'm no fan of Ted Cruz, but he received a BA in public policy from Princeton and a JD from Harvard. Meanwhile Perry has a BS in animal science from Texas A&M. Advantage: Cruz.
  #38107  
Old 10-20-2019, 04:56 PM
D_Odds is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Queens
Posts: 12,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMarch View Post
Perhaps he got the idea from when he invited the family of a murder victim to meet with the murderer (who is actively hiding behind a shield of diplomatic immunity) so they could all hug it out and make up?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/16/polit...rump-intl-gbr/
If the parties were reversed, you'd be railing against your opponents for using this verbiage. Trump's Jerry Springer-ish stunt was unbecoming a third-grader, but (a) every homicide is not a murder and (b) as the wife of a diplomat, she had no choice but to return when recalled. Maybe she is hiding; maybe she wants to cooperate, but diplomatic immunity is a game played by all parties in all countries. And it sucks for outsiders who get caught in it. It's a political issue, but it's not a R v D political issue.
__________________
The problem with political jokes is that they get elected
  #38108  
Old 10-20-2019, 05:02 PM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I kinda suspect Perry somehow sees himself getting set up by this administration and wants out before he gets embarrassed...
Too late. And really, anyone that joined this administration was embarrassed the moment they took the job.

Really, the country and world would be better off it Trump was rambling around alone in the White House trying to figure out how to turn the lights on.

Shit, stick him in a Mc'D.s that has a TV. Problem solved.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #38109  
Old 10-20-2019, 05:28 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Too late. And really, anyone that joined this administration was embarrassed the moment they took the job.

Really, the country and world would be better off it Trump was rambling around alone in the White House trying to figure out how to turn the lights on.

Shit, stick him in a Mc'D.s that has a TV. Problem solved.
A TV and no staff. He’d either starve or self-immolate in the deep fryer.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 10-20-2019 at 05:29 PM.
  #38110  
Old 10-20-2019, 05:34 PM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
A TV and no staff. He’d either starve or self-immolate in the deep fryer.
Please take this the right way.

A Mc'Ds staffed with immigrants. Let his tiny mind try to figure that out.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #38111  
Old 10-20-2019, 05:40 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 29,149
Someplace I read that one reason he likes to eat fast food is that he thinks it's less likely to be messed with (spit in or whatever), presumably when those making it don't know who the food is going to. So I'm trying to imagine what would happen to his food in a McDonald's staffed by immigrants who know they're preparing food for him.
  #38112  
Old 10-20-2019, 07:44 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Someplace I read that one reason he likes to eat fast food is that he thinks it's less likely to be messed with (spit in or whatever), presumably when those making it don't know who the food is going to. So I'm trying to imagine what would happen to his food in a McDonald's staffed by immigrants who know they're preparing food for him.
Why limit it to immigrants? In any case, what would happen would probably obviate the need for House impeachment and Senate trial....





Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Ever since the Watergate scandal, every scandal (except Abscam) has been 'something'-gate. It's stupid and unimaginative. Sure the current situation is very reminiscent of the Watergate scandal, but I'm sick of everything being named 'gate'.
How about Grifterpalooza?

Or, referring to Trump's entire time in the Presidency: Taint-Term.



my emphasis in quote
  #38113  
Old 10-20-2019, 08:00 PM
JRDelirious is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Displaced
Posts: 16,014
I suppose we could brand this whole situation a "Clustertrump"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
China issues several more trademarks to the Trump Organization, including massage parlors and escort services.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7619136.html
Like Hell I'm hitting a Donald J Clusterfucker-branded escort service or rub-n-tug.
They'll take my money and walk away w/o delivering.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 10-20-2019 at 08:01 PM.
  #38114  
Old 10-20-2019, 08:02 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
I suppose we could brand this whole situation a "Clustertrump"
Like Hell I'm hitting a Donald J Clusterfucker-branded escort service or rub-n-tug.
They'll take my money and walk away w/o delivering.
So you stiff them first.

:flees:
  #38115  
Old 10-20-2019, 08:45 PM
Fugazi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
China issues several more trademarks to the Trump Organization, including massage parlors and escort services.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7619136.html
I wonder what's happened in the 2 1/2 years since that was written.
  #38116  
Old 10-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,621
"Grabbergate" might work as a name for this scandal masquerading as a presidency.
  #38117  
Old 10-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi View Post
I wonder what's happened in the 2 1/2 years since that was written.
Rick, I appreciate the digging in the dirt you do - but it might be time to once again put date stamps on your posts that are links to news articles. That discipline did wonders for keeping your stuff current.
  #38118  
Old 10-20-2019, 10:35 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi View Post
I wonder what's happened in the 2 1/2 years since that was written.
Dammit. I apologize. It just showed up in my facebook feed this morning. And for some reason, I neglected to read the date.
  #38119  
Old 10-21-2019, 09:19 AM
smithsb's Avatar
smithsb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: mid-Pacific
Posts: 2,974
That's okay, Rick. Just don't make a habit of doing it.
  #38120  
Old 10-21-2019, 09:43 AM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 10,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Dammit. I apologize. It just showed up in my facebook feed this morning. And for some reason, I neglected to read the date.
Actually, that's a good warning for all of us. If something just shows up in your facebook feed, take a minute to check the date, and more importantly, check the veracity of it.

I would assume that if people were fact-checking a post, they'd notice the date.
  #38121  
Old 10-21-2019, 10:00 AM
Try2B Comprehensive's Avatar
Try2B Comprehensive is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,584
Rick may post some old links, but just the other day I was reading Johnson's articles of impeachment on here. Talk about old.
  #38122  
Old 10-21-2019, 11:30 AM
Johanna's Avatar
Johanna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Altered States of America
Posts: 13,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
This motherfucker is going down slow. Slowly, slowly, slowly the noose will tighten. Trump will end up pacing around the White House late at night but he won't be talking to pictures of dead Presidents because he won't know who the fuck they are. Well, except for Obama. I'm not a creative writer, can I ask some of you who are to write the dialog between Trump and Obama?
Dump: You! Obama! You did everything the opposite of me. So why do they love you and hate me? Why?!
Portrait of Obama: Because you're such a dip.
  #38123  
Old 10-21-2019, 11:33 AM
Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 61,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
Dump: You! Obama! You did everything the opposite of me. So why do they love you and hate me? Why?!
Portrait of Obama: Because you did everything opposite from the way I did.
  #38124  
Old 10-21-2019, 12:07 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,247
Breaking: Trump administration releases plan to dramatically expand DNA collection of migrants "to 'identify' apprehended migrants and transfer information to the Combined DNA Index System, known as CODIS, operated by the FBI."
  #38125  
Old 10-21-2019, 01:19 PM
zoid's Avatar
zoid is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago Il
Posts: 10,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Breaking: Trump administration releases plan to dramatically expand DNA collection of migrants "to 'identify' apprehended migrants and transfer information to the Combined DNA Index System, known as CODIS, operated by the FBI."
How 'bout we catch up on those rape kits first, m'kay?
  #38126  
Old 10-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Nava is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,955
Making sure that DNA samples are sent to actual labs might also be a step up.
  #38127  
Old 10-21-2019, 01:48 PM
Walken After Midnight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,265
Toluse Olorunnipa, Washington Post:
Quote:
Trump's remarks in the Cabinet room are a stream of exaggerations, boasts and falsehoods....

For example, in his remarks about Doral: "Miami International, one of the biggest airports in the world. Some people say it's the biggest."

(MIA is not even in the top 20)
  #38128  
Old 10-21-2019, 01:55 PM
Great Antibob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,372
Heck, Miami isn't even in the top 10 busiest airports in the US (by passenger volume), much less the world.

"Some people" indeed.
  #38129  
Old 10-21-2019, 02:04 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 13,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
How 'bout we catch up on those rape kits first, m'kay?
Don't be silly.
  #38130  
Old 10-21-2019, 02:12 PM
Johanna's Avatar
Johanna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Altered States of America
Posts: 13,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Portrait of Obama: Because you did everything opposite from the way I did.
I based it on the old SNL skit with Dan Ackroyd as Nixon. The portrait of Lincoln answers: "Because you're such a dip."
  #38131  
Old 10-21-2019, 02:15 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,506
October 20
Individual 1 calls the emoluments clause "phony"
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...y-ukraine-live
  #38132  
Old 10-21-2019, 04:10 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
October 20
Individual 1 calls the emoluments clause "phony"
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...y-ukraine-live
FPT* believes the whole Constitution is "phony."
__________________
"Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out." --Václav Havel
  #38133  
Old 10-21-2019, 05:13 PM
Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,825
Trump subtly giving the finger to an astronaut who gently corrects him? I mean, I suppose it could be a coincidence, but let's be serious for a moment.
  #38134  
Old 10-21-2019, 05:25 PM
kambuckta is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Pilbara, Australia.
Posts: 10,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Trump subtly giving the finger to an astronaut who gently corrects him? I mean, I suppose it could be a coincidence, but let's be serious for a moment.
Oh jesus.
  #38135  
Old 10-21-2019, 05:52 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,364
There's nothing more uppity than a lady astronaut.
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #38136  
Old 10-21-2019, 06:08 PM
wguy123 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
October 20
Individual 1 calls the emoluments clause "phony"
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...y-ukraine-live
George Washington had two desks. One for Presidentin' and one for businessin'. I'm not going to link since it is to paywalled LA Times, but that was one of the President Clusterfucks comments at his cabinet meeting today. Wait, here's a recap of some of his stable genius comments:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/21/polit...binet-meeting/
  #38137  
Old 10-21-2019, 09:00 PM
jsc1953 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Trump subtly giving the finger to an astronaut who gently corrects him? I mean, I suppose it could be a coincidence, but let's be serious for a moment.
Subtle as a brick. Smooth as a junior high kid who just learned naughty gestures.
  #38138  
Old 10-21-2019, 10:14 PM
Nava is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
George Washington had two desks. One for Presidentin' and one for businessin'. I'm not going to link since it is to paywalled LA Times, but that was one of the President Clusterfucks comments at his cabinet meeting today. Wait, here's a recap of some of his stable genius comments:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/21/polit...binet-meeting/
HE has the economy?

SEXUAL ASSAULT!
__________________
Some people knew how to kill a conversation. Cura, on the other hand, could make it wish it had never been born.
  #38139  
Old 10-21-2019, 10:29 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
HE has the economy?

SEXUAL ASSAULT!

That's right! No doubt he grapped it by the p~!
  #38140  
Old 10-21-2019, 10:54 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
George Washington had two desks. One for Presidentin' and one for businessin'.
That's nothing. I hear he had two sets of testicles and, like, thirty goddamn dicks.
  #38141  
Old 10-21-2019, 11:32 PM
simster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
That's nothing. I hear he had two sets of testicles and, like, thirty goddamn dicks.
I thought there were only 12 in his cabinet?
  #38142  
Old 10-22-2019, 09:27 AM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 5,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
Heck, Miami isn't even in the top 10 busiest airports in the US (by passenger volume), much less the world.

"Some people" indeed.
One person; I'll leave it as an exercise as to who.
  #38143  
Old 10-22-2019, 04:21 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,506
Iraq says US troops leaving Syria can not stay in Iraq.
https://www.apnews.com/825fb065d6f044a590a1fee8101a5a26
  #38144  
Old 10-22-2019, 04:28 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
Heck, Miami isn't even in the top 10 busiest airports in the US (by passenger volume), much less the world.

"Some people" indeed.
And why would anyone want their conference/summit anywhere Near a large and busy airport?
  #38145  
Old 10-22-2019, 05:13 PM
Happy Lendervedder's Avatar
Happy Lendervedder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
And why would anyone want their conference/summit anywhere Near a large and busy airport?
Same reason some people think putting catsup on a well-done filet mignon is bigly perfect.
  #38146  
Old 10-22-2019, 05:31 PM
Jack Batty's Avatar
Jack Batty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Astral Plane.
Posts: 15,625
I saw a headline on Twitter - a link to a RawStory* feed - that KellyAnn Conway is being considered as the next Chief of Staff in the wake of Mulvaney's "quid pro quo disaster." Good thing anonymous authors don't have to do book tours. Where would she find the time?

*I'll dig up the cite if I must.
  #38147  
Old 10-22-2019, 05:34 PM
Ruken is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DC
Posts: 7,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
And why would anyone want their conference/summit anywhere Near a large and busy airport?
To minimize transit time and to make it accessible to attendees. Why wouldn't anyone want this?
  #38148  
Old 10-22-2019, 05:40 PM
Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
I saw a headline on Twitter - a link to a RawStory* feed - that KellyAnn Conway is being considered as the next Chief of Staff in the wake of Mulvaney's "quid pro quo disaster." Good thing anonymous authors don't have to do book tours. Where would she find the time?



*I'll dig up the cite if I must.


Yeah. I can’t help but feel like the Conways are running a grift on top of the grift.
  #38149  
Old 10-22-2019, 06:32 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,885
Lol, that's what I tweeted to George Conway earlier today:

"Not really.

They should stop trying to profit from all this... like you and your wife... and should just Speak to Power without trying to grift and grift and grift."

https://twitter.com/JohnT15/status/1...448877056?s=19
  #38150  
Old 10-22-2019, 07:28 PM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,377
Loser Donald wanted Ukraine's president to do a live interview on CNN to say he was investigating Joe Biden.

It boggles the mind just how flagrant his criminality has been.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017