Old 09-08-2006, 12:42 AM

Eerybody else has done a terrific job with the team-by team analysis, so I won't duplicate the efforts, and instead just address my own team.

QB -- Warner, Plummer, V. Young

Every damn year I take QBs too early. It's a ritual. Having said that, I can live with these guys, all much better in fantasy than real life.

Re: Warner, I think people are a bit too quick to worry about injury and/or a player getting benched. I mean that in this sense -- if you have a guy who is a very solid performer for 8 weeks, but is then lost for the rest of the year, I'll take him every time over the guy who is just so-so over 16 weeks. I took Kurt Warner (who was, the following aside still a reach) knowing full well that he might lose his job by November. The first reason was that I thought I'd get Leinert, but the second was that I like his chances of putting up good fantasy numbers (remembering that completion % and sacks taken don't count).

Plummer will not be benched if the Broncos are in the playoff hunt, which they will be in that lousy division, and Young may get enough rushing yards and yards against prevent defenses to be useful.

RB -- Gore, R.Brown, A. Green, J. Harrison

Reprising the theme: I'll take Ahman Green over a Chris Brown or Thomas Jones or Joseph Addai because while Green may well go down with an injury, unless and until he does he's a clear number one. When he does, I look for someone else. Time-sharers may well put up better numbers over the course of the season, but on a per-game basis they're not as good. Jerome Harrison is a flyer; he looked fantastic in the preseason, and I'm not convinced on Droughns.

WR -- Fitzgerald, J. Walker, M. Jones S. Parker.

I like the three, and Parker is a dice roll.

TE -- Winslow and V. Davis

Winslow was an iffy pick -- I knew in advance that I wanted to trade out of rounds 6 and 7 as I wouldn't like my choices,and I didn't -- But Vernon Davis was a steal. With young QBs, on bad teams that will be facing a lot of late-game deep zones, I'll bet on one of these guys to catch 65 passes.

K -- Kaeding

Meh

DEF -- Arizona and Philadelphia

I wouldn't be stunned if one of these is a keeper. Book it now: the Philly defense is back in the top 10, if not higher.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarlosZ
Everyone seems to hate my 2nd Round selection of Matt Hasselbeck.
I don't. Given the quality of RBs that were there in the 2nd, a rock-solid QB (2nd best IMO) wasn't a bad choice.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:08 AM

I think Tony Gonzalez is going to have his worst year as a pro this year. Herm Edwards has never featured a TE in his offense, and even worse is that when you combine the departures from the OL with LJ's incompetence in pass blocking, Tony's looking at a season of staying in to protect.

Then again, in a very similar situation in 2004 Shockey still managed to produce pretty well, but he did whine about it to the media like a little bitch. (He actually said "Staying in to block so much tires me out.")

So I expect Gonzalez to be way down this year. I don't think he can stay in to block on half the passing plays and still have enough left in the tank to be a force downfield the other half.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:36 AM

Waiver Wire

We should use a waiver wire so that breakout players don't get awarded based on who is closest to the computer.

All players will go on waivers at the opening kickoff of their game that week. All players come off waivers Tuesday night. While on waivers, make a claim by emailing the player(s) you want to me. Title your email "Waiver claim". Include as many players as you like, but list them in order of most wanted first.

Players will be awarded based on waiver priority, and each successful claim pushes you to the end of the line. Each Tuesday night I'll post a notification to the yahoo board detailing who got awarded to whom. You can then add whomever you were awarded, as well as freely sign any other free agents not claimed by anyone else.

I won't be locking and unlocking the rosters, but I will be undoing any free agent acquisitions that jump the waiver wire. There is no penalty for jumping the waiver wire other than tipping your hand to everyone else.

This is now in effect, so you can't sign any Steelers or Dolphins players. If you want any, you have to email me a waiver claim, or wait until Wednesday and hope nobody else claims them.

If you like, we can have a second owner handle waiver claims on NY players. I'm pretty gung-ho about the waiver wire, so it'll take some impassioned dissent to persuade me out of it.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:47 PM

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP MILLHOUSE!!!:

"The Steelers signed former Packer running back Najeh Davenport to a one-year contract, according to ESPN. Pittsburgh cleared a roster spot for Davenport by releasing fellow running back Patrick Cobbs.

Our View
Speculation abounds that Davenport will fill the short-yardage roll vacated by the retirement of Jerome Bettis. Verron Haynes was slated to get a carry at the stripe, but Charlie Batch fumbled the snap. Willie Parker converted a fourth-down sweep but was also stopped on a third-and-short, and the Steelers opted to throw in three other third-and-short situations. With Parker getting 30 touches, odds are Bill Cowher will want to reduce his workload, especially if it involves inside running. The possibility of Davenport getting those short-yardage carriesówhich theoretically would also reduce potential wear-and-tear on the oft-injured Najehócertainly makes him worth a pickup in touchdown-heavy fantasy leagues."

Although I was honestly hoping a team with a starter going down would pick him up early in the season, this is still a pretty solid outcome.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee
Yeah, I was wondering how it was even possible you'd forget LJ was a keeper. But now I'm a little concerned that yahoo autodrafted you an excluded player. Did you not exclude the keepers, or was it that you weren't using the "My Rankings" list?
Guilty as charged. Sorry, guv'nor.

As my penance I will make public statements of support for the New York Giants or New York Jets should they meet the Redskins in the playoffs.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee
We should use a waiver wire so that breakout players don't get awarded based on who is closest to the computer.

All players will go on waivers at the opening kickoff of their game that week. All players come off waivers Tuesday night. While on waivers, make a claim by emailing the player(s) you want to me. Title your email "Waiver claim". Include as many players as you like, but list them in order of most wanted first.

Players will be awarded based on waiver priority, and each successful claim pushes you to the end of the line. Each Tuesday night I'll post a notification to the yahoo board detailing who got awarded to whom. You can then add whomever you were awarded, as well as freely sign any other free agents not claimed by anyone else.

I won't be locking and unlocking the rosters, but I will be undoing any free agent acquisitions that jump the waiver wire. There is no penalty for jumping the waiver wire other than tipping your hand to everyone else.

This is now in effect, so you can't sign any Steelers or Dolphins players. If you want any, you have to email me a waiver claim, or wait until Wednesday and hope nobody else claims them.

If you like, we can have a second owner handle waiver claims on NY players. I'm pretty gung-ho about the waiver wire, so it'll take some impassioned dissent to persuade me out of it.
Ellis,

I think this waiver wire scheme is fantastic. I'd brought up the idea in the past but we never really pursued it.

You say you'll undo any pre-Tuesday acquisitions should any duplicate requests be received--I hope everyone will be sportsmanlike and not try to screw someone picking up a bye week TE, Kicker, or DEF without a legit reason. (It is unethical to do that, right? I'm interested in hearing others opinions.)
Old 09-09-2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroman
You say you'll undo any pre-Tuesday acquisitions should any duplicate requests be received--I hope everyone will be sportsmanlike and not try to screw someone picking up a bye week TE, Kicker, or DEF without a legit reason. (It is unethical to do that, right? I'm interested in hearing others opinions.)
I don't completely follow your question, so I'll elaborate on my solution to the waiver wire.

Pre-Tuesday acquisitions are often not affected by the waiver wire. Right now, (Saturday afternoon) for example, you can freely sign any free agents you like as long as they aren't on the Dolphins or Steelers, who have already kicked off this week. If conflicting requests come in, waiver priority dictates who wins the player.

It's not conflicts that I'll be undoing, (although those too,) but rather ALL free agent acquisitions of players who have already kicked off this week. The main hurdle for me is limited availability Sundays before kickoff, so I needed a more self-policing system. The net result of this system is really quite simple:

If you can sign a guy and start him this week, he is a free agent. If you sign a guy and yahoo won't let him start for you this week, he is on waivers and you should probably file a waiver claim for him. (Or you can just wait until Wednesday and keep your fingers crossed.)

Note: The exception to this is bye weeks. Players on bye weeks are free agents, and not subject to the waiver wire because they don't have a kickoff. The whole purpose of the waiver wire is to stop the "closest man to the computer" effect during actual games, so players on bye weeks are unaffected.

In any case, if you sign a guy on waivers, sometime before Tuesday I'll be undoing that roster move and logging a waiver claim for that player for you. It's not a huge deal when I get to it, since by definition he couldn't have started for you that week anyway. One tip: Look for (c)ommissioner roster moves, as these are the tipoffs on what players have waiver claims against them.

The official cutoff is midnight Eastern between Tuesday and Wednesday. I don't foresee a huge problem with that, since if anyone really wants somebody they can file a waiver claim.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:12 PM

I wish yahoo supported a re-draft playoff format. Play the entire NFL regular season as the fantasy regular season; after week 17's final game, the fantasy playoff teams then have a start-from-scratch fantasy draft with only players playing wildcard weekend. The fantasy championship round would be the divisional round, and either there could be a supplemental draft for players who had a first round bye, or an entire new draft from scratch.

There are eight active teams during both of those NFL playoff weeks, so there'd be enough players in the draft pool to make it work.

I think this would be way fun, with three extra weeks of fantasy for everyone, plus one or two extra live drafts (which rule) for the playoffs. Too bad it's not a supported format.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Those of you waiting for me to finish my reviews will be interested to see my excuse for the delay. Had to get the weekly predictions thread up an going again! 2006 Weekly Predictions. Check it out and stop by to say hi.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:07 AM

I am not a patient man, omni. You shall pay for trifling with my expectations. You're going down! (You big tease. )

Quote:
Jimmy Chitwood
Jesus, dude. That's fucking brilliant.
Thanks, man. It's always nice to be appreciated.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:29 AM

I decided to cross-post this here because there just hasn't been enough smack talk yet. We need to raise teh volume and kikc this league off in style.

Damn you, Omni!

I was all set to take it easy on week 1, just grab a little "feeling things out" victory, no trick plays, no running up the score, no rejoicing at the tears and lamentations of your women. But you had to leave well enough alone, didn't you? You had to go and not say anything bad about my team? I had to sit back and read you skewer team after team with cogent analysis and barbed criticis, all the while thining to myself, "good stuuf. I can't wait until he oes my team." But nooooooooooo! You never got around to my team, did you? You led me on, you toyed with my expectations . . . and then you left me hanging. Left me hanging so you could play "Jimmy does Greek" in some tarted-up predictions thread. Pont spreads? Over-unders? You bastard! You have tossed aside the pure dream that was "HE HATE ME MORE" in order to frolic with base commerce!

And you shall pay. I have waited and waited, anticipation building, hopes rising . . .rising . . .only to be crushed callously beneath your unfeeling heel. Well, the debt come due today, Omni, and LO, the vig is monstrous. Hell hath no fury like a fantasy-geek unscorned. The coin was tossed; the whislte has been blown, and now I shall extract my pound of flesh upon the field of plays.

O villain, villain, smiling, damned villain!
My tables,--meet it is I set it down,
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain;
At least, I am sure, it may be Gone Pear shaped.

Zounds, a dog, a rat, a mouse, a cat, to scratch a man to death!
A braggart, a rogue, a villain, that fights by the book of arithmetic!--
A plague o' both your Jones'!
They'll not make worms' meat of me

Though Philadelphia come to Houston's dome,
And thou opposed, starting both the Jones',
Yet I will kick your ass. Before my body
I throw Wali Lundy. Lay on, McNabb,
And damn'd be him that throws to Reggie Brown!

Here's the smell of the blood still: all the perfumes
of Arabia will not sweeten this little Horn.

Santana Moss unto the breach, dear friends. Santana Moss
Or close the game out with our Warrick Dunn.

Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing,--
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Let Charles Johnson boil and bubble.

We are such stuff As dreams are made on,
and our Tom Brady is playing Buffalo.

Cry "Havoc," and let slip the Droughns of war.

You're going down, Beeyatch
Old 09-10-2006, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

God, I'm so glad I procrastinated.

My only regret is that when I get around to lambasting your roster it won't look as prescient with one week of futility under your belt.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient
God, I'm so glad I procrastinated.

My only regret is that when I get around to lambasting your roster it won't look as prescient with one week of futility under your belt.
I think someone needs to re-acquaint themselves with basic number theory.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritus Mundi
I think someone needs to re-acquaint themselves with basic number theory.
I haven't forgotten. Now I won't to be all huffy when I ensure a big season from my Jags D either.....
Old 09-23-2006, 04:45 AM

I just ran across a stat that made me smile. After two weeks, Amani Toomer leads the league in receptions with 17 catches, and Laveranues Coles leads the league in receiving yards with 253.

Love those New York receivers.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

OK, here's the reviews of the remaining teams. As you'll see I started the first one a couple weeks ago and finished the rest tonight. I'll check in and defend my roster soon, but I wanted to at least get this posted before the 3rd week of games passed. I really do write slowly when I do this crap.

Varlos' Zzzzzzz (VarlosZ)
01.11 (011) Brian Westbrook...(RB-Phi)
02.04 (018) Matt Hasselbeck...(QB-Sea)
03.11 (039) Willis McGahee.....(RB-Buf) **
04.04 (046) Darrell Jackson.....(WR-Sea)
05.11 (067) Jason Witten.......(TE-Dal)
06.04 (074) Michael Clayton....(WR-TB)
07.11 (095) Mike Anderson.....(RB-Bal)
08.04 (102) Deion Branch.......(WR-NE)
09.11 (123) Byron Leftwich.....(QB-Jac)
10.04 (130) Troy Williamson....(WR-Min)
11.11 (151) Roddy White........(WR-Atl)
12.04 (158) Jason Campbell....(QB-Was)
13.11 (179) Michael Pittman....(RB-TB)
14.04 (186) M. Lewis............(TE-Jac)
15.11 (207) Jason Elam.........(K-Den)
16.04 (214) New England........(DEF-NE)

I look at this line up and my gut reaction is to say itís not that good, but then I look closer and try to find the holes to pick at and there arenít any serious ones. The WR corps are a little thin, especially if Jackson isnít 100%, but they shouldnít be destitute. The real issue is the last handful of picks, virtually no depth or keeper value was uncovered there, but if this is one of those teams that isnít riddled with injuries they might just give the top squads a run for their money.

QB Ė Hasselbeck, Leftwich, Campbell
I was all set to blast the Hasselbeck pick and then I looked at it closer and then I read your defense of it and youíre absolutely right. I do not buy any of that 4300 yard bullshit, but heís still a pretty big step ahead of the next tier of QBs and youíd have missed that tier of QBs due to your keeper pick. Having your RB situation under control allowed you to make the educated choice of having a top flight QB or a top flight WR. Thereís something to be said for having the best QB situation in the league and I think you have it. Ole Baldy puts up great numbers and this year will be no different, heís healthy and consistent. I really like Leftwichís chances to excel too, theyíve got 3 talented young WRs who now have a year of experience under their belt. As for as backups go, heís a real good one. That Campbell pick however makes no sense at all. Heís not much in the way of keeper value both because heís not a staff favorite and hasnít shown anything yet and because you took him too early. Heíd have been there in the 15th round. Still, youíve got the best QB combo in the league.

RB Ė Westbrook, McGahee, Anderson, Pittman
I like your top two quite a bit, though neither is a sure thing. Westbrookís injury history really required you to find a more reliable 3rd option. I think McGahee will have a huge season and I donít think the frequent implication that heís fragile is apt. You might struggle to find the endzone however. Westbrook is not a pounding type guy and McGahee doesnít have the passing attack to keep Ds honest. Anderson is probably one of the backups most likely to play due to injury or ineffectiveness so he was a good fall back plan.

**** The preceding was written prior to Week 1ís games, all that follows was written today. I will attempt to focus on player projections over a full season and limit discussion of the first two weeks to a minimum. Iím going to disregard any roster moves since the draft. ****

WR Ė Jackson, Clayton, Branch, Williamson, White
This is a group with an awful lot of questions. Jackson is battling some injuries and may or may not play out the season. At this point it looks like heíll be good to go and that offense will be productive, but with so many options he might not put up huge numbers. Previously I could have had a long debate about Branch and I was high on him under the presumption heíd not miss any games. That was proven wrong but he still looks to be a solid gamble, though having both him and Jackson means you could be basically getting one for the price of two. If the Seahwaks passing game explodes you could be doubling up everyoneís points with Hasselbeck and that might work out. Thereís little question that your team will live and die by Seattleís fate. Clayton needs to prove his rookie year wasnít a bust and coming into the season I liked thatís offenses chances. They have sucked so far, but at least you can say it was against superior defenses and they could come into form as the season progresses. Simms looked good last year and might settle down. Williamson and White were quality values in questionable passing attacks. Either could surprise and be a #1. Could be a feast or famine situation.

TE Ė Witten, M. Lewis
Witten should put up numbers in the Cowboys offense, Parcells uses the position better than most, but itís unclear how much of an impact TO will have on the gameplan. There are more targets here for Bledsoe and that usually indicates a step back from the previous seasons numbers. Even at last yearís numbers Iím not sure heís worth a 5th round pick. Lewis might be great someday, but itís expensive to fish for a keeper when it means youíll be holding two TEs all season.

K Ė Elam
Heís getting old, but he plays in Denver where long kicks always have the potential for bonus points. You took him late and thereís a fair chance that if the Broncos running game takes a step back, I think it will, youíll have the benefit of several easy FGs when the offense stalls in the redzone.

DEF Ė New England
This defense isnít going to be great statistically, but they might be pretty good for fantasy purposes. The schemes usually lead to a high rate of sacks and INTs and they play against some real cupcakes this season. I like that value here. I donít expect them to be better than a top 12 in points allowed, but in fantasy points they could be top 8 or better.

Summary Ė It all comes down to the Seahawks. The Hasselbeck, Jackson, Branch trio will either put up huge numbers week-to-week when they play well, when they donít youíll probably lose. Your front line RBs are solid enough to not lose you games but neither is a real threat to go for any huge games either. Depth is above average outside of at the running back position, should those starters stay healthy youíll probably be in the hunt. So long as the Seahawks donít suck of course.

Final Grade: B

Potential Keepers: Lewis, Leftwich, Williamson, White

Fourth and Nineteen (Wilson)
01.12 (012) Corey Dillon...........(RB-NE)
02.03 (017) Kevin Jones...........(RB-Det)
03.12 (040) Deuce McAllister.....(RB-NO)
04.03 (045) Andre Johnson.......(WR-Hou)
05.12 (068) Lendale White........(RB-Ten)
06.03 (073) Jake Delhomme......(QB-Car) *
07.12 (096) Ernest Wilford........(WR-Jac)
08.03 (101) Chris Perry............(RB-Cin)
09.12 (124) Eric Moulds...........(WR-Hou)
10.03 (129) Jerry Porter...........(WR-Oak)
11.12 (152) Jerramy Stevens.....(TE-Sea)
12.03 (157) Keyshawn Johnson...(WR-Car)
13.12 (180) J. Klopfenstein.......(TE-StL)
14.03 (185) Philip Rivers..........(QB-SD) *
15.12 (208) M. Vanderjagt........(K-Dal)
16.03 (213) Dallas..................(DEF-Dal)

I think this team has serious issues. This is largely based on the fact that I have zero confidence in Dillon this season. Maroney is going to be a monster and Dillon is breaking down. The rest of the RB crew has questions about playing time and you could be looking at a squad with 1 starter and 4 backups. I realize RBs are thin in this league, but if your RB corps are going to be iffy, make sure your other positions are strong. That didnít happen.

QB- Delhomme, Rivers
Delhomme has looked pretty lost out there without Steve Smith and the running game hasnít taken itís load. He could very likely rebound when this crew is at full strength but no matter what the outcome they will indeed be facing a steady diet of monster defenses this season. His outlook isnít very good. I am one of those guys who thought the Chargers did the right thing in making the change from Brees to Rivers. The kid has shown he has the ability and his time in the system will be a benefit. Iím not sure heíll be better than Delhomme this year but heís a terrific keeper.

RB Ė Dillon, K. Jones, McAllister, L. White, C. Perry
Thatís a really shaky group right there. Lots of potential upside for each one, no doubt. I think Perry could step in and be superb if Rudi goes down, I think LenDale will probably be a legitimate starter in this league one day but heís got a ton of growing up to do. Deuce isnít likely to totally disappear either, but you know Reggie Bush isnít going to hide out on the bench. Iíve already explain that Dillon is going to be taking a backseat soon, and thatís not a comment based on the previous two game. It was apparent in the preseason. K. Jones is a mystery, heíll probably hold the starting job, but with Martz guiding that offense who knows how heíll be used. Youíll need him to turn into second coming of Marshall Faulk if you expect the RBs to carry this team to the playoffs.

WR Ė A. Johnson, Wilford, Moulds, Porter, K. Johnson
Thereís a whole shitload of athletic ability here but Iím not sure thereíll be much in the way of fantasy production. Porter is riding the bench for an indefinite length of time and unless a trade is in the works he may give you nothing this season. Moulds and Johnson are sharing balls from a crappy Houston team that lacks a reliable running game. Carr might adopt the Kubiak system and put up number eventually but not right away and not until they get an offensive line that can protect. Keyshawn is over the hill and takes the term possession receiver to a whole new level. Ironic since heís the one who criticized Wayne Chrebet back in the day for never getting any yards after the catch. Wilford is a guy I really like but it appears the Leftwich is going to be spreading the ball around a lot and wonít have a real first option, plus that offense is going to play conservative.

TE Ė Stevens, Klopfenstein
Stevens is out and will miss at least half the season it appears. Not sure what his status was back during the draft. Needless to say you wonít be getting much out of him. I liked Klopfenstein as a super sleeper in that system. Iím 90% sure heíd have still been available in the 16th round but I think you will get production out of him this year, but nothing better than average for a tight end.

K Ė Vanderjagt
Well, heís hurt too. I donít think heíd have been a top scorer at the position this year in the Dallas offense anyways.

DEF Ė Dallas
Everyone thinks Dallas is going to have a awesome defense this year and Iím amazed they were still on the board in the 16th round. Teams with a rep for being good came off the board as early as the 10th round. This was a nice pick, thereís little question that this defense will be right there in the top quarter of all groups.

Summary Ė Holes, holes and more holes. The injuries at TE and Kicker are par for the course with this team. The QB situation has a fairly low ceiling and the RB situation borders on desperate unless their projected roles change dramatically early on. None of these WRs are expected to be 1000 yard guys and they all play on teams that will probably not put 30 points very often. I donít have much faith in this team at all.

Final Grade: D+

Potential Keepers: Rivers, Klopfenstein, Porter

Mundis Morning Glory (Spiritus Mundi)
01.14 (014) Reuben Droughns...(RB-Cle)
02.01 (015) Chad Johnson.......(WR-Cin)
03.04 (032) Fred Taylor..........(RB-Jac)
03.14 (042) Warrick Dunn.......(RB-Atl) **
04.12 (054) Tom Brady...........(QB-NE) *
05.03 (059) Wali Lundy..........(RB-Hou)
06.13 (083) Santana Moss.......(WR-Was) *
07.02 (086) Randy McMichael...(TE-Mia)
08.01 (099) Eddie Kennison......(WR-KC)
09.08 (120) Braylon Edwards....(WR-Cle)
09.14 (126) Ryan Moats..........(RB-Phi)
10.01 (127) Tampa Bay..........(DEF-TB)
10.12 (138) Matt Leinart.........(QB-Ari)
11.14 (154) Adam Vinatieri......(K-Ind)
13.14 (182) Reche Caldwell......(WR-NE)
14.01 (183) Michael Bennett.....(RB-KC)

I donít see a real big name on this roster but itís well rounded and has serviceable depth at all the important positions. No reaches and each pick was targeted effectively. Unfortunately being balanced and well rounded with quality depth donít always offset that one superstar over the balance of a season. Thereís a couple top heavy teams in this league, this isnít one of them. At the very least injuries shouldnít be the end of the road for this roster should that come around.

QB Ė Brady, Leinart
Outfriggingstanding situation here. True, thereís some concern about depth, but Brady has been pretty much indestructible so far. Brady was a hell of a value, though before the loss of Branch it looked better, and heíll put up top 5 QB numbers I wager. The aforementioned cupcake schedule the Pats face will only work in this teams favor. Leinart is the golden egg of keepers in my opinion. Heíll be starting and probably excelling in Arizona real soon. Next season this team might be scary.

RB Ė Droughns, F. Taylor, W. Dunn, Lundy, Moats, Bennett
This is how you create a good RB platoon system. 4 guys that are starters who will have to really screw up to lose their starting job. One guy backing up what many consider the top running back in the league and another guy with upside backing up a perennial injury risk whoíll snipe TDs all season. Thereís no 2000 yard threat here, but this group is pretty bullet proof. Lundy may not pan out behind that crappy line and Fragile Freddy is just that, but Dunn is going to score loads of points and Droughns is going to have to carry the load in Cleveland. Iím a fan. One caveat, there isnít enough talent here to win games on its own. It wonít be an Achilles, but the other positions will have to push them over the top.

WR Ė C. Johnson, S. Moss, Kennison, Edwards, Caldwell
Chaz is the best, better hope that huge hit he took doesnít lead to alligator arms down the road. Donít you wish thatíd have been TO getting laid out and bloodied? Moss is a talent but Brunell is going to have to start putting it together, not a bad second option here considering the RB depth though. Kennison has quietly been productive but the loss of Trent Green will hurt his longterm production. If Green gets back soon Iím going to call this a pretty good third option, though he might be riding the bench if the Browns take Winslowís advice and air it out. Braylon Edwards looked excellent when healthy last year and could really be what puts this team over the top. A elite tandem of him and CJ will be just what this team needs to win it all. Caldwell might be a good bye week fill-in now that Branch is gone, having Brady makes everything a double bonus.

TE Ė McMichael
Well, this guy was expected to be an elite TE, then Culpepper decided to suck. I have no idea what to project him as. I wasnít high on him primarily because Culpepper rarely exploited the TE in Minnesota but heís probably the second best receiver in Miami. Heís certainly a good value based on ďexpertĒ rankings so Iíll default to that and assume he wonít be a gaping hole in the line up. Really thatís all you ask of a TE anyways.

K Ė Vinatieri
Heíll probably be outstanding in the dome. I suspect his number will look an awful lot like Vanderjagtís did in the previous 3 or 4 season and thatís pretty damn good. Excellent selection and value.

DEF Ė Tampa Bay
Heading into the season Iíd have projected the Bucs to be a good defense once again, though I would have burned him for taking them too soon and ahead of better squads like Jacksonville and Dallas. After the first two games it looks more like an atrocious pick. Lifeís a bitch sometimes, you might be playing waiver roulette each week to find a better option.

Summary Ė Strangely I think Braylon Edwards is the x-factor with this team. Up and down the line up thereís lots or reliable performance. CJ, Brady and the RBs will all put up consistent numbers. Their sum total wonít be enough to win most weeks though and it will be the second and third WR who win and lose games for him. If I had to guess, Iíd think he will. Depth is a rare commodity and thereís enough value on this team to work out a trade if none of the WRs step up to be that needed second guy.

Final Grade: A-

Potential Keepers: Leinart, Edwards, Moats
Old 11-01-2006, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
How about a public groveling (on SDMB) plus a case of the winner's favorite beer?
Done and done!

I figured the Jordan bandwagon would have been derailed last season, it's not like Shell's expected to turn that line into bunch of road graders, I'm looking at you Gallery, and the D certainly won't have them in a lot of grind it out on the ground style games.
Since we are now past the halfway point, I thought I should give you a status update on the bet. As of week 8, I am the top scoring team in that money league and looking forward to quaffing a sample of your current favorite adult beverage.

East Division
Team W L T Pct PF PA Strk

Average Joe's 5 3 0 0.625 627 593 W3
Likkityclits 5 3 0 0.625 563 482 W1
Brown 4 4 0 0.500 469 531 W1
Conquista Crazies 4 4 0 0.500 538 493 L1
Pinson 4 4 0 0.500 561 536 L1
Swollen Beavers 4 4 0 0.500 495 538 L1
Poteralski 1 7 0 0.125 435 549 L5

West Division

Ronin 6 2 0 0.750 715 658 L1
Holmes 5 3 0 0.625 628 612 W2
Tampa Bay KAOS 5 3 0 0.625 679 616 W1
Dutesters 4 4 0 0.500 705 663 L2
Bada Bing! 4 4 0 0.500 617 559 L1
Grapplers 3 5 0 0.375 542 591 W1
Normstradomis 2 6 0 0.250 547 700 W1
Old 11-02-2006, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Since we are now past the halfway point
Obviously this is true in FF, so this rant doesn't apply to your statement, but I'd like to vent for a quick second.

For the first time since bye weeks have been a part of the league, there is a perfect midpoint to the season. This is because the flex scheduling shoved all the byes to earlier in the season. (I'm assuming; not sure why bye weeks should affect flex scheduling at all, or vice versa.)

Anyway, after next week, all byes will be done, and every team in the league will have played exactly eight games. In other words, a perfect and precise middle of the season. NEXT week.

It annoys me, then, to see "mid-season" discussions going on all over the place this week. Learn to count, people!
Old 12-04-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Here's my big draft review.

Rhinosaurs(neuroman)
01.03 (003) LaDainian Tomlinson...(RB-SD)
02.12 (026) Reggie Wayne...........(WR-Ind)
03.03 (031) Daunte Culpepper.......(QB-Mia)
04.01 (043) Tatum Bell...............(RB-Den)
05.02 (058) Todd Heap...............(TE-Bal)
05.14 (070) Roy Williams............(WR-Det) **
08.12 (110) T.J. Duckett.............(RB-Was)
09.03 (115) Steve McNair............(QB-Bal)
11.02 (142) Santonio Holmes........(WR-Pit)
11.03 (143) Sinorice Moss...........(WR-NYG)
12.01 (155) B. Calhoun...............(RB-Det)
12.12 (166) Washington..............(DEF-Was)
13.03 (171) Mark Brunell.............(QB-Was)
14.12 (194) Leon Washington.......(RB-NYJ)
15.03 (199) P. Daniels................(RB-Bal)
16.12 (222) Joe Jurevicius...........(WR-Cle)

So lets see, thereís LT and a litany of question marks. If Culpepper isnít his 2004 version youíre utterly screwed. Iím inclined to think heíll be pretty good, but you canít deny heís a gamble.
Yeah, I knew Culpepper was a dumb pick from square one. Thank god I drafted McNair.

Quote:
RB Ė Tomlinson, Bell, Duckett, Calhoun, Washington, Daniels
Iíve often waxed poetic about my love for LT. The guy is fabulous to watch play, weíre talking serious man-crush stuff. Thank god I never drew a #1 pick Iíd have been pulling my hair out over it. Most stats indicate heíll be the 3rd best RB this season, but with LJ dealing with Herm Edwards and Alexander losing Hutchinson Iíd have talked myself into the pick.
And you'd have been right. Holy cow.

Quote:
WR Ė Wayne, R. Williams, Holmes, Moss, Jurevicius
Ugly with a capital U. Wayne is fine, always productive, but I canít believe you passed on Chambers for him. Thanks though. The rest of the crew is unproven to say the least.
Yeah, Wayne turned out to be better than expected, and Roy W has pulled his weight.

Quote:
DEF Ė Washington
Iím not that high on them.
Yeah me neither. Barf. Thank you waiver wire.

Quote:
Summary Ė I donít have much to say about this team thatís good. I love LT but heís going to be stuck on a crummy team here. Our scoring system isnít going to allow Culpepper to carry this team if heís a monster, you just cannot survive without 2 starting RBs and a reliable flex guy. Thereís way to many question marks with this group at every position. Really, TE is the only position without a significant red flag.

Final Grade: D-
Ha! To your D- sir, I say HA! I'm going to the playoffs next week. Just goes to show that a little bit of luck (backing into the LT pick) and waiver wire skill is all you need.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:08 PM

People said I would be in the bottom of the league, and they were right.

Gonna post a season review at the end of the season.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:10 PM

Ha, I am an idiot. I thought another team's game had already been lost but that wasn't the case. I still have to beat Hamlet to make the playoffs.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroman
Ha, I am an idiot. I thought another team's game had already been lost but that wasn't the case. I still have to beat Hamlet to make the playoffs.
In the immortal words of Steve Tyler, Dream On. You've ridden LT and put him away wet, and this week, he hits his wall. Victory will be mine....MINE!!!!

MWAAHAAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet
In the immortal words of Steve Tyler, Dream On. You've ridden LT and put him away wet, and this week, he hits his wall. Victory will be mine....MINE!!!!

MWAAHAAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!
I think LT's "wall" is probably about 100 overall yards and 2 TDs.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Since we are now past the halfway point, I thought I should give you a status update on the bet. As of week 8, I am the top scoring team in that money league and looking forward to quaffing a sample of your current favorite adult beverage.

East Division

Average Joe's 5 3 0 0.625 627 593 W3
Likkityclits 5 3 0 0.625 563 482 W1
Brown 4 4 0 0.500 469 531 W1
Conquista Crazies 4 4 0 0.500 538 493 L1
Pinson 4 4 0 0.500 561 536 L1
Swollen Beavers 4 4 0 0.500 495 538 L1
Poteralski 1 7 0 0.125 435 549 L5

West Division

Ronin 6 2 0 0.750 715 658 L1
Holmes 5 3 0 0.625 628 612 W2
Tampa Bay KAOS 5 3 0 0.625 679 616 W1
Dutesters 4 4 0 0.500 705 663 L2
Bada Bing! 4 4 0 0.500 617 559 L1
Grapplers 3 5 0 0.375 542 591 W1
Normstradomis 2 6 0 0.250 547 700 W1
Mundi, lets get an update if you'd please. Also, can you post your current lineup so I can see how many trades and pickups you ended up making to satisfy my curiosity. Though looking at the original roster your RB corps couldn't have played out much better for you, you probably didn't need much change. I'll take solace in the fact that I predicted this whole Saints thing way back when.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

BTW - I'm feeling pretty good heading into the primetime games down 30 with the Joneses and Wilkins left to play. Those Saints and Rams defenses are ripe. #2 seed here I come!
Old 12-11-2006, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Mundi, lets get an update if you'd please. Also, can you post your current lineup so I can see how many trades and pickups you ended up making to satisfy my curiosity. Though looking at the original roster your RB corps couldn't have played out much better for you, you probably didn't need much change. I'll take solace in the fact that I predicted this whole Saints thing way back when.
Sure thing - it is really coming down to the wire. I have made every bad choice one could imagine the last 3 weeks, invariably sitting the hot RB or WR (like driver this week). Being in the middle of a move hasn't helped me keep up. Anyway, going into week 14 it looks like:

East Division
Average Joe's 9 4 0 0.692 1039 925 L1
Likkityclits 9 4 0 0.692 888 780 W4
Pinson 7 6 0 0.538 922 823 W2
Swollen Beavers 7 6 0 0.538 861 797 W1
Brown 6 7 0 0.462 790 907 L1
Conquista Crazies 4 9 0 0.308 846 882 L6
Poteralski 1 12 0 0.077 658 949 L10

West Division
Holmes 9 4 0 0.692 1088 979 W1
Ronin 9 4 0 0.692 1105 1027 L1
Dutesters 8 5 0 0.615 1241 1071 W2
Bada Bing! 8 5 0 0.615 1067 971 W4
Tampa Bay KAOS 6 7 0 0.462 986 999 L2
Grapplers 5 8 0 0.385 883 965 L2
Normstradomis 3 10 0 0.231 856 1155 W1

I am currently second in points scored, but others are in close enough striking distance that it will all depend on how Jackson and Holt do against the leagues #1 DEF. Joy.

I might even miss the playoffs in this league, which I haven't done in ages. The divisions were really unbalanced this year, with teh 4 most dangerous teams all in the same division. So . . . there is no chance you will be drinking on me this year, but there is a chance it will be a wash. (Though my contention that I had drafted one of the top temas in that league remains sound. My problems have been in selecting starters not in getting ptoduction from the daft. One week my bnch outscored my starters by 20 points!)
Old 12-11-2006, 01:40 AM

And here's my lineup. The really observant of you might notice that I started a deactivated RB this week. Yep. that kind of thing happens when you are 3 days away from packing up your household, hoping to close on a house despite a contentious post-inspection negotiation, desperately chasing after a 6-months old who is just learing to crawl but is already a master at hutling his body into any open space, and trying madly to justify keeping your current job even though you'll be a thousand miles away from everyone you manage and anyone you report to (I *really* hate job hunting) . . . *sigh*

Starting Players
Rank Usage Player Fantasy Points
All Pos Own Start Pos Player Team Opp Inj Bye Avg Total Last
12 8 75% 29% QB Jon Kitna DET MIN 8 16.6 199 15
11 4 100% 90% RB Steven Jackson STL CHI 7 16.9 203 15
18 7 90% 26% RB Chester Taylor MIN @DET 6 14.3 171 9
44 6 100% 91% WR Torry Holt STL CHI 7 11.3 135 18
56 10 97% 81% WR Andre Johnson HOU TEN 5 10.5 126 0
89 1 96% 76% TE Tony Gonzalez KC BAL 3 8.8 97 21
59 1 96% 86% PK Bears, Team Kicker CHI @STL 7 10.3 123 3
148 14 73% 35% Def Eagles, Team Defense PHI @WAS 9 6.5 78 4

Bench Players
Rank Usage Player Fantasy Points
All Pos Own Start Pos Player Team Opp Inj Bye Avg Total Last
13 9 95% 44% QB Brett Favre GB @SF 6 16.4 197 12
46 17 92% 66% RB Marion Barber DAL NO 3 11.1 133 19
135 36 68% 7% RB Mike Bell(r) DEN @SD 4 7.4 81 1
32 11 97% 46% RB Kevin Jones DET MIN 8 13.3 146 12
71 14 94% 61% WR Laveranues Coles NYJ BUF 9 9.4 113 2
58 12 99% 86% WR Donald Driver GB @SF 6 10.4 125 8
280 23 8% 3% TE Ben Utecht IND @JAC 6 2.1 23 1

Anyway, so far as trades, waiver pick-ups, etc. I really haven't made any moves of note. Situational add/drops to cover bye weeks for K and TE, but that's about it. I have been pretty disengaged from football (real and fantasy) this year. That's what perpetual exhaustion (and a pb[REALLY[/b] horrible year by th Bucs will do to a man.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:53 AM

Did the board crash? I was sure I had posted the final standings from my money league and a witty taunt for omni just before my computer was packed up for shipping? Ah well, too tired to recreate it now, having just moved my family, pets, and a bit more than 8 tons of cr-- er, stuff halfway across the country. Short & sweet, then.

Omni - I finished 2nd in total points scored in teh money league. You owe me beer and groveling, beeyatch!
Old 12-18-2006, 02:06 AM

Ok - just enough energy to post the evidence.

East Division
Average Joe's 10 4 0 0.714 1139 994 W1
Likkityclits 9 5 0 0.643 957 880 L1
Pinson 8 6 0 0.571 1009 886 W3
Swollen Beavers 8 6 0 0.571 959 883 W2
Brown 6 8 0 0.429 853 994 L2
Conquista Crazies 5 9 0 0.357 932 961 W1
Poteralski 1 13 0 0.071 737 1035 L11

West Division
Holmes 9 5 0 0.643 1152 1099 L1
Ronin 9 5 0 0.643 1181 1137 L2
Bada Bing! 9 5 0 0.643 1177 1047 W5
Dutesters 8 6 0 0.571 1327 1169 L1
Tampa Bay KAOS 7 7 0 0.500 1066 1078 W1
Grapplers 6 8 0 0.429 1003 1029 W1
Normstradomis 3 11 0 0.214 935 1235 L1
Old 12-26-2006, 08:13 PM

Congratulations to The Mad Hermiit for winning the championship this year. Also congrats to VarlosZ for securing Ladainian Tomlinson by winning the consolation bowl.

Final Standings
1. Crabby Hermits
2. Fightin' Quakers
3. Moridwon (Hamlet)
4. Mini Ditkas
5. Varlos' Zzzzzzz
6. Del Pilar of Salt
7. Baltimore Weirdos
8. Rhinosaurs(neuroman)
9. Mundis Morning Glory
10. Fourth and Nineteen
11. Culpable Deniability
12. Karma's Bitch
13. Asparagus Pee
14. New York Fanboys

It'll take me a couple days to finish the keeper info for next year. In the meantime, here are the potential rule changes to consider:

Turnover points:
Interceptions thrown: -3
Fumbles lost: -3 (-1 for fumbling, -2 for losing it)
Interceptions caught: +2
Fumbles recovered: +1

Vote for any changes. Note: The only votes that will be recognized are ones that include concrete numbers. So instead of saying that all fumbles should count the same regardless of who recovers them, offer something like -3/0 or +2 or whatever for the fumble scoring.

Waiver priority:
Do you want to reseed the waiver priority each week based on the standings?

That's all the isues we have so far, which speaks well of our rules. My votes:

Bump fumble recoveries up from +1 to +2.
Re-seed waivers based on the standings each week.

Any other rule suggestions are welcome.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:17 AM

My votes:

Bump fumble recoveries up from +1 to +2.
Do not Re-seed waivers based on the standings each week.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:47 AM

I see that I forgot the issue of boosting defensive points allowed. The current settings are 10,7,4,1,0,-1,-4. furt suggested 20,15,10,5,0,-5,-10; which may be a bit extreme. His general idea was to make defenses more valuable, along the lines of the skill positions.

To that end, if we want to boost defense, I'd vote to do something like: (Current setting in parentheses.)
Sack: 1.5 (1)
Interception: 3 (2)
Fumble Recovery: 3 (1)
Touchdown: 6 (6)
Safety: 2 (2)
Blocked kick: 3 (2)
Kickoff/punt return touchdown: 6 (6)
Points Allowed 0 points: 15 (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points 11 (7)
Points Allowed 7-13 points 6 (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points 2 (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points 0 (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points -3 (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points -7 (-4)

In a nutshell, boost defense by half again. Note that this means I'm casting two different votes for fumble recoveries. If we want to boost defense it's one thing, but if not at least I'd like to normalize turnovers. Make sense?

When voting whether or not to boost the defense, concrete numbers aren't necessary. A simple yay or nay, and a vague "those numbers are close", "boost even more" or "not quite so much" are fine. If you have specific numbers in mind, I'm all ears.

Also, Munch expressed some interest in recalculating waiver priority each week.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:20 AM

My thoughts...

1) I'm number 3!!!!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!

2) Curse you Peyton Manning and your 4 touchdown game against the Bengals. You cost me the championship.!!!!!

3) Thanks for all the hard work, Ellis! Outstanding job.

4) This is the only league of 4 I'm in where LT's owner did not win it all. He's simply amazing.

5) Do not redo waiver priority based on standings.

6) Adjust the defense a bit to add value to them. Definitely +3 for fumble recoveries and int's. I also like:

Sack: (1) -- Keep sacks the same.
Interception: (2) -- Add one to make it +3.
Fumble Recovery: (1) -- Add two to make it +3.
Touchdown: (6) -- Same
Safety: (2) -- Add 3 points to make it 5. They're very rare, kinda cool, and they do result in a change of possession like a turnover, so add the 3 points for a turnover to make it 5 total.
Blocked kick: (2) -- Same
Kickoff/punt return touchdown: (6) -- Same
Points Allowed 0 points: 15 (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points 11 (7)
Points Allowed 7-13 points 6 (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points 2 (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points 0 (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points -3 (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points -7 (-4)

I like the point adjustments Ellis made, especially negative for poor defense.

These changes will definitely improve the D's points and make it a position akin to the skill positions.

7) I like bacon.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Mundi, send me your address and you will have your beer. I make no promises of adequate groveling though.

And I think this is the second straight year I finished last in the championship bracket. I'm like the Marty Schottenheimer of the SDMB fantasy league.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Mundi, send me your address and you will have your beer. I make no promises of adequate groveling though.

And I think this is the second straight year I finished last in the championship bracket. I'm like the Marty Schottenheimer of the SDMB fantasy league.
Email sent.

And so long as you make an hones attempt at a public grovel, the judges will no doubt be lenient. BTW - Steven Jackson pretty much single-handedly won me the championship game in this league. He turned out to be a steal for me at pick 10.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:54 AM

I like . . .

1) All turnovers to have the same value and to have the same magnitude for the offense and defense. Anything else would represent an imbalance in assigned value between the two parties, and we all know a rational economic agent would never make such an exchange (economic humor? God, I need to get more sleep):
  • Interception thrown (-3)
  • Interception made (3)
  • Fumble (-1)
  • Fumble lost (-2)
  • Fumble forced (1)
  • Fumble recovered by defense*(2)

2) Upon furhter review, my decision to favor weekly priority based upon standings has been overturned. The attmpt to foster competetiveness did not have full control of the proposal before landing out of bounds. A poor team should not be able to contiually thrash the waiver wire to grab that weeks' "hot prospect" until he lands a winner. Judicious use of waiver priority is one of the only strategic elements available to an owner once the season starts. It would be a shame to lose it.

3) Defensive points: turnovers should be increased invalue as noted above, but the bottom line for defense is not giving up points, and giving up 26 points should not be "neutral". Anything over 21 is a bad defensive day. Period.
  • Sack: (1) It is not a game changing play, just a good one.
  • Interception: (3)
  • Fumble forced (1)
  • Fumble recovered by defense* (2)
  • Return Touchdown: (6) Punt/kick/fumble/Int -- who cares. It's a score
  • Safety: (2) just like in the real game. And it isn't points plus a turnover, it's points plus a punt.
  • Blocked kick: (3)
  • Points Allowed 0 points: 15
  • Points Allowed 1-6 points 10
  • Points Allowed 7-13 points 5
  • Points Allowed 14-20 points 0
  • Points Allowed 21-27 points -3
  • Points Allowed 28-34 points -6
  • Points Allowed 35+ points -9

4) Chinese

*Unfortunately, symmetry must yield on this point. An offensive player recovering a fumble is not worth positive points; it merely avoids the (-2) for a fumble lost. This also avoids the travesty of having a player drop the ball, recover is, and get positive points for his fumble.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:16 AM

Quote:
A poor team should not be able to contiually thrash the waiver wire to grab that weeks' "hot prospect" until he lands a winner. Judicious use of waiver priority is one of the only strategic elements available to an owner once the season starts. It would be a shame to lose it.
  • Fumble forced (1)
  • Fumble recovered by defense* (2)
  • Safety: (2) just like in the real game. And it isn't points plus a turnover, it's points plus a punt.
  • Blocked kick: (3)
  • Points Allowed 0 points: 15
  • Points Allowed 1-6 points 10
  • Points Allowed 7-13 points 5
  • Points Allowed 14-20 points 0
  • Points Allowed 21-27 points -3
  • Points Allowed 28-34 points -6
  • Points Allowed 35+ points -9
That's a pretty decent case for not recalculating the waiver priority each week.

Yahoo doesn't distinguish defensive fumbles unless you play with IDP. Team defenses get no credit for forced fumbles; only fumbles recovered.

I could go either way on safeties. You're right in that it isn't technically a turnover, but safeties are the only points in the entire game where the team who just scored gets the ball back. That makes it akin to a pseudo-turnover. Also of note is that due to the punt-style kick from the standard kickoff line, you're almost guaranteed to get the ball back at midfield.

Regarding the points allowed, you're right. Conventional wisdom has it that a defense "wins" by holding the opponent to 17 or less. 21-27 is a pretty clear failure, so I'm hip to sliding the scale back as you suggest. Maybe not those exact numbers, but the idea is sound.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:32 PM

My half-assed season review:

Crabby Hermits: 10-4, 1259.80
Best Pick: Peyton Manning I guess. Kind of wierd looking at this team, as it doesn't really look like a championship winner, but it is. Manning was one of the top two fantasy QB's, which I suppose
makes him worthy of the #10 pick. Jamal Lewis was a pick I hated on draft day, but he turned out OK. Looking at fantasy WR rankings, Housh was actually better than I thought, so he was a
pretty good 4th rounder, though I think you could have gotten him later.
Worst Pick: Maybe what helped you be the champ is that you don't really have any. Gado didn't do anything, but as an 8th rounder, it's not exactly a killer.
Keeper potential: Fast Willie is fantastic as a 7th. That's all I really see worth a keeper, but that's a huge one.
This year: B+, Keeper: A

Fightin Quakers: 10-4, 1258.90
Best Pick: Javon Walker in the 4th, ended up being the 5th best fantasy wideout. Vince Young, besides being a great keeper, was helpful this season.
Worst Pick: Ronnie Brown's injury and absolute mis-use by Lord Saban shouldn't be used against his fantasy owners. This goes to back to back selections of Kurt Warner and Jake Plummer in
the 5th and 6th. Yuck. Good thing you took Vinnie.
Keeper potential: Gore in the 6th is maybe even better than Parker in the 8th and has you as one of the favorites for next season. Young in the 9th is good.
This year: B+, Keeper: A

Mini Ditkas: 10-4, 1213.22
Best pick: McNabb was on a tear before his injury.
Worst pick: Both Jones' going one and two is pretty bad (Thomas wasn't exactly bad so much as unspectacular). Chambers in the 3rd was even worse.
Keeper Potential: Nah.
This year: D+, Keeper: Diddly poo says Jim Mora.

Moridwon (Hamlet): 9-5, 1303.49
Best Pick: Mojo in the 8th. Great, great, great pick. With Taylor probably heading out of Jax next season, this could be just a notch below Fast Willie and Gore. Steven Jackson was better than
I expected.
Worst Pick: Edge was an easy choice for most of the season, but he improved. He still gets the nod as you didn't really have an ugly picks.
Keeper Outlook: Mojo falls somewhere between very good and fantastic. Terry Glenn had a very good year and could be the #1 in Dallas next season. Turner could be a starter somewhere
and he has tons of promise.
This Year: A, Keeper: A

Rhinosaurs (neuroman): 8-6, 1371.89
Best Pick: LT. Mos def.
Worst Pick: Culpepper kills another fantasy team.
Keeper: Not really. Calhoun if KJ missed significant time, maybe Leon Washington, but I suspect that the Jets will go RB in the draft.
This Year: B, Keeper: D

Del Pilar of Salt, 7-7, 1268.78
Best Pick: Brees is the best fantasty QB, as a 7th rounder that's a great pickup. Probably best pick in the draft.
Worst Pick: Caddilac was awful this year. Bush started off poorly, but has been great in the second half. Mike Bell did little. You finishing at .500 with those being your first three picks shows how
good Brees was.
Keeper: Brees as a 5th. Boldin as a meh #2. Cutler may not be worth a 9th to sit on your bench, but he has a bit of trade value.
This year: C, Keeper: B+

Baltimore Weirdos, 7-7 1207.71
Best Pick: You didn't have a single good draft pick.
Worst pick: Steve Smith, Deshaun Foster, Randy Moss and Chris Brown to start off the draft. You have to go to Bulger in the 5th to see something that doesn't make you shake your head.
Keeper: LJ and Gates are great keepers in the 5th and 6th, though Gates wasn't great this season.
This year: D, Keeper: A

Varlos' Zzzzzz, 7-7 1099.26
Best Pick: Brian Westbrook. Nice value at the end of the first. D Jax in the 4th deserves some mention.
Worst Pick: Hasselbeck in the second. You had to convince yourself that it was a smart pick, and you ended up being way off. You could have probably gotten him in the 4th or 5th.
Keeper: You're losing Magahee, which is the only player on your team that would have been worth keeping.
This year: C, Keeper: Bupkis.

Mundis Morning Glory, 6-8 1152.53
Best pick: Fred Taylor in the third.
Worst Pick: Droughns at the end of the first. Though it's a tough position to be drafting from.
Keeper: Leinhart should be OK.
This year: C-, Keeper: Zzzzzzzz.

Fourth and Nineteen, 6-8 1115.90
Best Pick: I didnt' like Dillon in the first at all, but he turned out well. Kevin Jones was great before getting injured. I liked the Deuce pick a TON. Andre Johnson was good in the 4th. That's a 4 way
tie to start the draft.
Worst Pick: Delhomme was a dissapointment, and Lendale was a bad idea. The guy never really looked poised to challenge for the starting job.
Keeper: Rivers.
This year: B+ (KJ injury hurt a lot)m Keeper: D+

Culpable Deniability, 6-8 1111.82
Best pick: Much like Fourth 's team, this is just a well drafted squad at the top that was affected by an injury. You twice pissed off those drafting right behind you with Addai and Maroney. Portis
wasn't spectacular when healthy, but he was putting up pretty good numbers.
Worst pick: The one you didn't make, risking your QB situation on Big Ben and making Brad Johnson your backup.
Keeper: Your young RB studs were in the first 4 rounds. Addai is ineligable and Maroney is iffy as a second with Dillon still there. I guess it depends on where you draft, though I'm sure you'll
have a chance to trade down in the round.
This year: B+ Keeper: C-

Karma's Bitch, 5-9 1412.84
Best Pick: I had plenty of good ones, but I'll give the edge to Brandon Jacobs for his keeper potential. The top of the draft worked out perfectly with Rudi, TO, Evans in the 4th (which I took heat for
but he ended up being the 12th best WR), then even more heat for Vick (3rd best QB).
Worst Pick: Mike Alstott in the last round. I was having trouble deciding between him and Colston, but ended up drafting Mike. I ended up dropping him for Colston before the first game, and lost
a fantastic keeper (despite Colston almost definitely being a WR exclusive next season).
Keeper: Great for me despite Colston. Jacobs (4th) and Chester Taylor (5th) are no brainers. Chicago is nice as a 10th, especially with the possibilty of increasing defensive importance. Vick (7th)
is tempting as well. Despite those two, I'm leaning towards making Cedric Benson (3rd) my third keeper.
This year: A+ (damn thine karma!!!), Keeper: A+

Asparagus Pee, 5-9 1057.94
Best pick: Travis Henry had a great, under the radar year.
Worst: Can't hold Alexander against you, he's been a pretty good fantasy RB when healthy and had no injury history that I can recall. I didn't like Lamont Jordan at all, but with the lack of RB's
around, you had to keep him in the 3rd.
Keeper: Henry (8th) is good, though they may try to force Lendale into a prominent role. DeAngelo Williams (3rd) is a no brainer.
This year: B-, Keeper: B-

New York Fanboys, 2-12 1047.70
Best Pick: Tiki had a great year, though his TD's were sniped by my boy.
Worst pick: The New York Jets.
Keeper: IM IN UR LEEG, STEELIN UR RB KEEPERZ
This year: F, Keepers: Nah.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:57 PM

-- A thrown interception is -3, so all fumbles, regardless of which team recovers, should be -1.5, as fumble recovery, on balance, is about 50/50 between offense and defense, and it' s been shown not to be a repeatable skill held in varying degrees by different teams. Failing that, I'd be in favor of tweaking the penalty so that it's -2 for a fumble and an additional -1 for a lost fumble.

-- I like Ellis' specific proposal to increase the rewards/penalties for points allowed.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:53 PM

Also, let me just say that I'd like to get in on the ground floor of CREEED -- The Committee to Re-elect Ellis Dee. Simply an awesome job this year by the commish.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:16 PM

He Hate Me Keeper League Year 4 Roundup

Schedule
Offseason Trade Deadline: Tuesday 8/21/07
Keeper Declaration: Tuesday 8/28/07
Live Draft: Monday 9/3/07 (Labor Day) at 10:30pm ET

Keeper Rules
1. You can only keep a maximum of 3 players.
2. You can only keep players drafted after the third round. (Fourth rounders or later only.)
3. A player can only be kept a maximum of twice. (Making 3 total roster years.)
4. A kept player incures a two round penalty. (e.g: drafted in the 6th, kept in the 4th.)

Hall of Fame
Year 1 winner: mouthbreather
Year 2 winner: Spiritus Mundi
Year 3 winner: Spiritus Mundi
Year 4 winner: The Mad Hermit

Final Standings: Year 4
1. Crabby Hermits
2. Fightin' Quakers
3. Moridwon (Hamlet)
4. Mini Ditkas
5. Varlos' Zzzzzzz
6. Del Pilar of Salt
7. Baltimore Weirdos
8. Rhinosaurs(neuroman)
9. Mundis Morning Glory
10. Fourth and Nineteen
11. Culpable Deniability
12. Karma's Bitch
13. Asparagus Pee
14. New York Fanboys

Draft Order, Year 5
1. VarlosZ
2. Jimmy Chitwood
3. Weirddave
4. neuroman
5. Ellis Dee
6. Munch
7. BabaBooey
8. Nurse Carmen
9. Wilson
10. Spiritus Mundi
11. Omniscient
12. Hamlet
13. furt
14. The Mad Hermit

Final Rosters
The final rosters include all relevant keeper info. The draft round listed is the round the player was drafted last year; if you want to keep them next year, subtract two rounds. Ineligible keepers are struck out, along with the reason they were disqualified. Exceptional prospects are bolded.

1. Varlos' Zzzzzzz (VarlosZ)
QB.....Matt Hasselbeck (QB-Sea) 1st rounder
WR....Javon Walker (WR-Den) 4th round pick
WR....Deion Branch (WR-Sea) 8th round pick
RB.....Brian Westbrook (RB-Phi) 1st rounder
RB.....Willis McGahee (RB-Buf) expired
TE.....Jason Witten (TE-Dal) 5th round pick
W/R...Bobby Wade (WR-Ten) free agent
BN.....Jason Campbell (QB-Was) 12th round pick
BN.....Michael Pittman (RB-TB) 13th round pick
BN.....Troy Williamson (WR-Min) 10th round pick
BN.....Eddie Kennison (WR-KC) free agent
BN.....Brett Favre (QB-GB) free agent
K.......Neil Rackers (K-Ari) free agent
DEF....Kansas City (DEF-KC) free agent
BN.....St. Louis (DEF-StL) free agent
BN.....Cleveland (DEF-Cle) free agent

2. Del Pilar of Salt (Jimmy Chitwood)
QB.....Drew Brees (QB-NO) 7th round pick
WR....Anquan Boldin (WR-Ari) expired
WR....Donte' Stallworth (WR-Phi) 6th round pick
RB.....Marion Barber III (RB-Dal) 5th round pick
RB.....Reggie Bush (RB-NO) 2nd rounder
TE.....L.J. Smith (TE-Phi) 9th round pick
W/R...Mike Bell (RB-Den) 3rd rounder
BN.....Antonio Bryant (WR-SF) 10th round pick - kept last year
BN.....Carnell Williams (RB-TB) 1st rounder
BN.....Mike Furrey (WR-Det) free agent
BN.....Owen Daniels (TE-Hou) free agent
BN.....Jay Cutler (QB-Den) 11th round pick
BN.....Aaron Rodgers (QB-GB) 16th round pick
BN.....Justin Fargas (RB-Oak) free agent
K.......Joe Nedney (K-SF) free agent
DEF....Baltimore (DEF-Bal) 12th round pick

3. Baltimore Weirdos (Weirddave)
QB.....Marc Bulger (QB-StL) 5th round pick
WR....Mark Clayton (WR-Bal) 6th round pick
WR....Steve Smith (WR-Car) 1st rounder
RB.....Larry Johnson (RB-KC) expired
RB.....DeShaun Foster (RB-Car) 2nd rounder
TE.....Antonio Gates (TE-SD) expired
W/R...Mewelde Moore (RB-Min) 13th round pick
BN.....Musa Smith (RB-Bal) 9th round pick
BN.....Demetrius Williams (WR-Bal) free agent
BN.....Randy Moss (WR-Oak) 3rd rounder
BN.....Drew Carter (WR-Car) free agent
BN.....Rex Grossman (QB-Chi) free agent
BN.....Ben Troupe (TE-Ten) 15th round pick
K.......Shayne Graham (K-Cin) 10th round pick
DEF....Seattle (DEF-Sea) 11th round pick
BN.....New England (DEF-NE) free agent

4. Rhinosaurs (neuroman)
QB.....Steve McNair (QB-Bal) 9th round pick
WR....Reggie Wayne (WR-Ind) 2nd rounder
WR....Chris Henry (WR-Cin) free agent
RB.....LaDainian Tomlinson (RB-SD) 1st rounder
RB.....Ladell Betts (RB-Was) free agent
TE.....Todd Heap (TE-Bal) 5th round pick
W/R...Tatum Bell (RB-Den) 4th round pick
BN.....David Garrard (QB-Jac) free agent
BN.....Santonio Holmes (WR-Pit) 11th round pick
K.......John Carney (K-NO) free agent
DEF....Buffalo (DEF-Buf) free agent
BN.....Cincinnati (DEF-Cin) free agent
BN.....Carolina (DEF-Car) free agent
BN.....Philadelphia (DEF-Phi) free agent

5. New York Fanboys (Ellis Dee)
QB.....Eli Manning (QB-NYG) 7th round pick - kept last year
WR....Plaxico Burress (WR-NYG) 4th round pick - kept last year
WR....Laveranues Coles (WR-NYJ) 6th round pick
RB.....Tiki Barber (RB-NYG) 1st rounder
RB.....Cedric Houston (RB-NYJ) free agent
TE.....Jeremy Shockey (TE-NYG) 3rd rounder
W/R...Jerricho Cotchery (WR-NYJ) free agent
BN.....Kevan Barlow (RB-NYJ) 3rd rounder
BN.....Chad Morton (RB-NYG) free agent
BN.....Tim Carter (WR-NYG) free agent
BN.....Chad Pennington (QB-NYJ) 9th round pick
BN.....David Tyree (WR-NYG) free agent
BN.....Michael Jennings (WR-NYG) free agent
BN.....Sinorice Moss (WR-NYG) free agent
K.......Jay Feely (K-NYG) 7th round pick
DEF....New York (DEF-NYG) 6th round pick

6. Asparagus Pee (Munch)
QB.....Carson Palmer (QB-Cin) expired
WR....Joey Galloway (WR-TB) 5th round pick
WR....Torry Holt (WR-StL) 2nd rounder
RB.....Shaun Alexander (RB-Sea) 1st rounder
RB.....Jerious Norwood (RB-Atl) 7th round pick
TE.....Benjamin Watson (TE-NE) 6th round pick
W/R...DeAngelo Williams (RB-Car) 5th round pick
BN.....Anthony Thomas (RB-Buf) free agent
BN.....Michael Jenkins (WR-Atl) 13th round pick - kept last year
BN.....Maurice Morris (RB-Sea) 15th round pick
BN.....Greg Jennings (WR-GB) 9th round pick
BN.....Alex Smith (TE-TB) free agent
BN.....Alex Smith (QB-SF) 16th round pick
BN.....Arlen Harris (RB-Det) free agent
K.......Lawrence Tynes (K-KC) free agent
DEF....Minnesota (DEF-Min) free agent

7. Karma's Bitch (BabaBooey)
QB.....Michael Vick (QB-Atl) 9th round pick
WR....Terrell Owens (WR-Dal) 2nd rounder
WR....Devery Henderson (WR-NO) free agent
RB.....Rudi Johnson (RB-Cin) 1st rounder
RB.....Cedric Benson (RB-Chi) 5th round pick
TE.....Marques Colston (WR,TE-NO) free agent
W/R...Brandon Jacobs (RB-NYG) 6th round pick
BN.....Chester Taylor (RB-Min) expired
BN.....Lee Evans (WR-Buf) 4th round pick
BN.....Chad Jackson (WR-NE) 10th round pick
BN.....Damon Huard (QB-KC) free agent
BN.....Domanick Davis (RB-Hou) 11th round pick
BN.....David Carr (QB-Hou) 13th round pick
K.......Jeff Reed (K-Pit) 15th round pick
DEF....Chicago (DEF-Chi) 12th round pick - kept last year
BN.....Denver (DEF-Den) 15th round pick

8. Culpable Deniability (Nurse Carmen)
QB.....Ben Roethlisberger (QB-Pit) expired
WR....Marvin Harrison (WR-Ind) 2nd rounder
WR....Muhsin Muhammad (WR-Chi) 5th round pick
RB.....Laurence Maroney (RB-NE) 4th round pick
RB.....Joseph Addai (RB-Ind) 3rd rounder
TE.....Chris Cooley (TE-Was) 8th round pick - kept last year
W/R...Travis Taylor (WR-Min) 12th round pick - kept last year
BN.....Joey Harrington (QB-Mia) free agent
BN.....Heath Miller (TE-Pit) 6th round pick
BN.....Ashley Lelie (WR-Atl) 15th round pick
BN.....Bernard Berrian (WR-Chi) free agent
BN.....Ron Dayne (RB-Hou) 14th round pick
BN.....Tarvaris Jackson (QB-Min) 16th round pick
BN.....Ciatrick Fason (RB-Min) free agent
K.......Josh Scobee (K-Jac) free agent
DEF....Oakland (DEF-Oak) free agent

9. Fourth and Nineteen (Wilson)
QB.....Vince Young (QB-Ten) 11th round pick
WR....Andre Johnson (WR-Hou) 4th round pick
WR....Keyshawn Johnson (WR-Car) 12th round pick
RB.....Travis Henry (RB-Ten) free agent
RB.....Kevin Jones (RB-Det) 2nd rounder
TE.....Jerramy Stevens (TE-Sea) 11th round pick
W/R...Deuce McAllister (RB-NO) 3rd rounder
BN.....Philip Rivers (QB-SD) 14th round pick - kept last year
BN.....Corey Dillon (RB-NE) 1st rounder
BN.....Patrick Crayton (WR-Dal) free agent
BN.....Joe Klopfenstein (TE-StL) 13th round pick
BN.....Ernest Wilford (WR-Jac) 7th round pick
BN.....LenDale White (RB-Ten) 5th round pick
K.......Matt Stover (K-Bal) free agent
DEF....Miami (DEF-Mia) free agent
BN.....Dallas (DEF-Dal) free agent

10. Mundis Morning Glory (Spiritus Mundi)
QB.....Tom Brady (QB-NE) 4th round pick - kept last year
WR....Chad Johnson (WR-Cin) 2nd rounder
WR....Braylon Edwards (WR-Cle) 9th round pick
RB.....Warrick Dunn (RB-Atl) 3rd rounder
RB.....Fred Taylor (RB-Jac) 3rd rounder
TE.....Desmond Clark (TE-Chi) free agent
W/R...Wali Lundy (RB-Hou) free agent
BN.....Reuben Droughns (RB-Cle) 1st rounder
BN.....Santana Moss (WR-Was) 6th rounder - kept last year
BN.....Leon Washington (RB-NYJ) free agent
BN.....Reggie Williams (WR-Jac) free agent
BN.....Randy McMichael (TE-Mia) 7th round pick
BN.....Matt Leinart (QB-Ari) 10th round pick
BN.....Ryan Moats (RB-Phi) 9th round pick
K.......Adam Vinatieri (K-Ind) free agent
DEF....Atlanta (DEF-Atl) free agent

11. Mini Ditkas (Omniscient)
QB.....Jeff Garcia (QB-Phi) free agent
WR....Chris Chambers (WR-Mia) 3rd rounder
WR....Reche Caldwell (WR-NE) free agent
RB.....Julius Jones (RB-Dal) 1st rounder
RB.....Thomas Jones (RB-Chi) 2nd rounder
TE.....Ben Utecht (TE-Ind) free agent
W/R...Drew Bennett (WR-Ten) free agent
BN.....Joe Horn (WR-NO) 4th round pick
BN.....Dallas Clark (TE-Ind) 7th round pick
BN.....Kevin Curtis (WR-StL) 12th round pick - kept last year
BN.....Reggie Brown (WR-Phi) 6th round pick
BN.....J.P. Losman (QB-Buf) free agent
BN.....Dominic Rhodes (RB-Ind) 14th round pick - kept last year
BN.....Maurice Hicks (RB-SF) 10th round pick
K.......Jeff Wilkins (K-StL) 15th round pick
DEF....Jacksonville (DEF-Jac) 13th round pick

12. Moridwon (Hamlet)
QB.....Trent Green (QB-KC) 6th round pick
WR....Donald Driver (WR-GB) 3rd rounder
WR....Terry Glenn (WR-Dal) 14th round pick - kept last year
RB.....Steven Jackson (RB-StL) 2nd rounder
RB.....Edgerrin James (RB-Ari) 1st rounder
TE.....Tony Gonzalez (TE-KC) 5th round pick
W/R...Maurice Jones-Drew (RB-Jac) 8th round pick
BN.....Jon Kitna (QB-Det) 10th round pick
BN.....Derrick Mason (WR-Bal) 4th round pick
BN.....Bo Scaife (TE-Ten) free agent
BN.....Michael Turner (RB-SD) 13th round pick
BN.....Isaac Bruce (WR-StL) 7th round pick
BN.....Doug Gabriel (WR-Oak) 12th round pick
BN.....Correll Buckhalter (RB-Phi) 15th round pick
K.......Robbie Gould (K-Chi) free agent
DEF....Indianapolis (DEF-Ind) 11th round pick

13. Fightin' Quakers (furt)
QB.....Tony Romo (QB-Dal) free agent
WR....Larry Fitzgerald (WR-Ari) 3rd rounder
WR....Arnaz Battle (WR-SF) free agent
RB.....Frank Gore (RB-SF) 8th round pick - kept last year
RB.....Sammy Morris (RB-Mia) free agent
TE.....Kellen Winslow (TE-Cle) 7th round pick
W/R...Wes Welker (WR-Mia) free agent
BN.....Darrell Jackson (WR-Sea) 4th round pick
BN.....Ahman Green (RB-GB) 2nd rounder
BN.....Ronnie Brown (RB-Mia) 1st rounder
BN.....Jake Delhomme (QB-Car) 6th round pick - kept last year
BN.....Matt Jones (WR-Jac) 9th round pick - kept last year
BN.....Vernon Davis (TE-SF) 10th round pick
BN.....Jerome Harrison (RB-Cle) 12th round pick
K.......Martin Gramatica (K-Dal) free agent
DEF....Tennessee (DEF-Ten) free agent

14. Crabby Hermits (The Mad Hermit)
QB.....Peyton Manning (QB-Ind) 1st rounder
WR....T.J. Houshmandzadeh (WR-Cin) 4th round pick
WR....Hines Ward (WR-Pit) 3rd rounder
RB.....Willie Parker (RB-Pit) 9th round pick - kept last year
RB.....Jamal Lewis (RB-Bal) 2nd rounder
TE.....Alge Crumpler (TE-Atl) 5th round pick
W/R...Antwaan Randle El (WR-Was) 11th round pick
BN.....Marty Booker (WR-Mia) free agent
BN.....Rod Smith (WR-Den) 6th round pick
BN.....Mack Strong (RB-Sea) free agent
BN.....Drew Bledsoe (QB-Dal) 7th round pick - kept last year
BN.....Bobby Engram (WR-Sea) free agent
BN.....Samkon Gado (RB-Hou) 8th round pick
BN.....LaBrandon Toefield (RB-Jac) 14th round pick
K.......John Kasay (K-Car) 13th round pick
DEF....Pittsburgh (DEF-Pit) expired
Old 01-08-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaBooey
Keeper: Great for me despite Colston. Jacobs (4th) and Chester Taylor (5th) are no brainers.
Mundi kept Taylor last year, then traded him to you where you kept him this year. Keeper eligibity expires after a player is kept two consecutive years regardless of trades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarlosZ
-- A thrown interception is -3, so all fumbles, regardless of which team recovers, should be -1.5, as fumble recovery, on balance, is about 50/50 between offense and defense, and it' s been shown not to be a repeatable skill held in varying degrees by different teams. Failing that, I'd be in favor of tweaking the penalty so that it's -2 for a fumble and an additional -1 for a lost fumble.
What about offensive fumble return TDs? Also, the FO article asserted that pick-sixes were as random as fumble recoveries, which means all defensive TDs are random. Are you voting to zero out those categories? If not, why not?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:53 PM

Weirddave and Spiritus Mundi, your presence is requested in the new league. Please sign up asap.

He Hate Me So Bad FF keeper league

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/8974

I've sent you both a PM with the league password, in addition to the two emails I sent over the past few weeks.

Please, nobody reply to this zombie thread. Mods, feel free to lock it.