Old 01-24-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I noticed when I moved to the northeast that the the "Welcome To ..." signs on the highway had the current governor's names on them. Always seemed like a waste of money to have to change them whenever someone new was elected. But I'm pretty sure I've seen them with both Republican and Democrat names on them, so it's a non-partisan waste and not a strictly liberal idea.
I've lived here 40 years, the 'Open for Business' sign was screwed on 8 years ago by Walker, it's now removed and replaced with 'Tony Evers Governor'.

He's a liberal and it's stupid.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:37 PM

Well what do you suggest be done with those screw holes?
Old 01-24-2019, 03:41 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
Well what do you suggest be done with those screw holes?
Wood putty.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
I've lived here 40 years, the 'Open for Business' sign was screwed on 8 years ago by Walker, it's now removed and replaced with 'Tony Evers Governor'.

He's a liberal and it's stupid.
It's stupid, but the idea didn't originate with Evers.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I mean, there are countless states and cities that have "Welcome To" signs. The fact that this is even an issue is... weak even when compared to the overall weak stuff that shows up in this thread all the time.

I happen to like this sign.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
I happen to like this sign.
But note that that sign also has the Mayor's name at the bottom. Like Robot said, many states put the Governor's name on their Welcome signs. It's free publicity for the Governor, and paid for by the taxpayers of the state.

And a continuing expense; every time a new Governor is elected, taxpayers have to pay for changing all these signs at every border of the state. Would be better for the taxpayers if they didn't do this, just had something about the state, like (for Minnesota) "Land of 10,000 Lakes'. But it's hard to change this once it's started.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Is this where this thread and message board have gone? Can we not see anything for what it is anymore?

Can a racist remark from a Democrat even be possible if others from other political stripes said it years ago as well?
Old 01-25-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Is this where this thread and message board have gone? Can we not see anything for what it is anymore?
I grew up in Washington. I didn't have a lot of occasions to travel out of state, but from what I recall the signs just said "Welcome to Oregon", or "Entering Washington". It wasn't until I was in my 30s and moved to the northeast that I saw "Welcome to Massachusetts, Paul Cellucci, Governor". I thought it was pointless at the time and I still do; residents of the state should already know who's the governor, and visitor don't care. And it's inevitable that they'll have to be changed, with time and expense involved.

But I remember being surprised by it. It's common practice where I am now, but I don't expect people in the rest of the country to know that. I pointed it out in the spirit of fighting ignorance.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:

Can a racist remark from a Democrat even be possible if others from other political stripes said it years ago as well?
I think most of us agree it's a wasteful practice. But it isn't a "liberal idea", which is the point. It's just a common bit of non-partisan political puffery.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:26 AM

Y'all want a stupid liberal idea? Here's a fuckin' doozy.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ech-fred-upton

Quote:
The Times’s Alex Burns found Biden had received $200,000 from the Economic Club of Southwestern Michigan, “a business-minded civic organization” that receives some money from an Upton family foundation. He gave a speech in October in Benton Harbor, Michigan, in which he praised Upton as “one of the finest guys I’ve ever worked with,” crediting the Congress member for working to increase federal funding for cancer research. According to reports at the time, Biden otherwise hit some of his favorite notes in the speech, arguing for the need for consensus and mocking the “half-baked nationalism” and “phony populism” of President Donald Trump and others.

Republicans ran ads touting the vice president’s kind words about Upton, who represents a more moderate district that Democrats hoped would be in play in a favorable environment. Local Democrats begged Biden to do some damage control, though it seems he declined, per, according to the Times. Upton ultimately won by less than 5 percentage points after winning by 22 points in 2016 — and, while Biden can’t exactly be blamed for a longtime incumbent winning reelection, the implication is that he didn’t help.
He's not sorry about this and refuses to apologize. He doesn't see a problem with his actions bolstering a republican house candidate in the midterms. In other words, Biden is completely detached from the political reality of America today and fundamentally unprepared to deal with politics as it currently exists.

With any luck, this completely pushes Biden out of the running in 2020. I'd say he should be primaried, but he's probably resigning within the next few terms anyways.

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 01-25-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

So in other words he spoke kindly of a man he honestly admires instead of bashing him simply because he's a member of another political party.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
With any luck, this completely pushes Biden out of the running in 2020. I'd say he should be primaried, but he's probably resigning within the next few terms anyways.
Biden no longer holds any elective office to be primaried or to resign from; he resigned from the Senate in 2009 after being elected Vice President, and of course he hasn't been Vice President since January 20, 2017.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
So in other words he spoke kindly of a man he honestly admires instead of bashing him simply because he's a member of another political party.
Yeah, that's my take on it as well. If you criticize Biden for this, you're basically advocating for tribalism over democracy.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
He campaigned for a member of the republican party in 2018. And not a never-trumper, either. Upton isn't some hard partisan scumbag like Gohmert or King, but the reality is, he's a republican in the era where the head of the republican party is Donald Trump. There is no such thing as a good republican. There's only bad, worse, and nazi (and it took them about a decade to throw out the guy who is loudly and proudly the latter). Any "good republican" has since left the party, because even if there were something worth salvaging, it cannot be salvaged while the party is led by McConnell and Trump.

But even beyond that, this ignores the reality of modern politics. The democrats needed to win the house in november. Not doing so would have continued to leave us with no checks on the Trump administration and no way to address any of the many pressing issues that leaves us. If the republicans keep the house, we're not getting investigations into the Trump administration. We're probably seeing the end of the Muller probe. We can forget about any action on climate change, the single most crucial issue of our time. In 2018, the democrats needed a win for the sake of the country. And they got one... But Biden decided to speak up for the opposition. And he was paid $200,000 to do so.

Fuck him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Yeah, that's my take on it as well. If you criticize Biden for this, you're basically advocating for tribalism over democracy.
And fuck this take, too. It is not "tribalism over democracy" to recognize that the current republican party is an aberration, that it retaining power is a catastrophe, and that you basically cannot be a good person while simultaneously supporting the Trump administration. It's just the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
Biden no longer holds any elective office to be primaried or to resign from; he resigned from the Senate in 2009 after being elected Vice President, and of course he hasn't been Vice President since January 20, 2017.
Whoops, I thought he was in the senate. Don't know how I got that wrong, mea culpa.

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 01-25-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I thought the SLIOTD was going to be "Biden campaigns for a Republican after receiving $200,000 from him via a back channel".
Old 01-25-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
In the middle of an election, he could have chosen to say nothing.

This is likely disqualifying (not that I wanted Biden anyway - too old, and has baggage issues - which is going to be a problem for anyone with any length of public service, but particularly for Biden because he has been around for more than one change of party emphasis).
Old 01-25-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
And fuck this take, too. It is not "tribalism over democracy" to recognize that the current republican party is an aberration, that it retaining power is a catastrophe, and that you basically cannot be a good person while simultaneously supporting the Trump administration. It's just the truth.
Settle down, guy.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:40 PM

However dumb a liberal idea might be, it's still smarter than the smartest conservative idea.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:25 PM

When I see something as dumb as this sign-gate and I have to look check to ensure that Clothahump is still banned.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:40 PM

Marianne Williamson says we should use the power of our minds to turn aside the hurricane.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...855_story.html
Old 09-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

That works. She's not a nobody with a stupid idea. Marianne Williamson is a presidential candidate whose claim to fame was once being Oprah Winfrey's spiritual advisor. Not quite as scary as the man with access to nuclear weapons suggesting nuking hurricanes, nor one other moron making the internet rounds suggesting the navy ship in ice and the air force fly planes counter to the wind direction to stop the hurricane. But yeah, thoughts and prayers to change a hurricane's path, because it works so well for everything else.

At least she has absolutely no chance of being elected (this cycle).
Old 09-04-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

She is a Democrat, and her wackjob idea is certainly stupid.
Good catch.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, sure, Marianne. Get back to me when you use the power of your mind to get yourself above 2% in the polls....
Old 09-04-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Marianne Williamson says we should use the power of our minds to turn aside the hurricane.
This is indeed stupid, and a worthy addition to this thread.

If she had referenced the power of Jesus or quoted a religious text, she would have been in the clear. Alas, she failed to drop in the right magic words and accoutrements. Two minutes of meditation is useless. It's not improved by the addition of a rosary.

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 09-04-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:03 PM

She invoked prayer, and the power of the mind, which as you note are equally ineffective. If she called for these in place of proper preparation, then that is truly stupid. At best what she called for won't do anything, at worst it could prevent proper action.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Hey, I'm already using the power of my mind to reverse the effects of global warming, which will pretty much take care of the hurricane problem.

Think bigger, people. Jeez.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:03 PM

Marianne Williamson doubles own on praying the hurricane away. People on the left shouldn't mock those who believe in the power of prayer.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...can-turn-away?
Old 09-05-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Marianne Williamson doubles own on praying the hurricane away. People on the left shouldn't mock those who believe in the power of prayer.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...can-turn-away?
People on BOTH sides should mock those who believe in the power of prayer.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Not being a condescending dick to Christians is actually a pretty good idea.

Saying, as a matter of fact, that prayers or "mind powers" changed the hurricanes path is stupid.

The the with MW is, she's got some really profound insights (Her interview on The Daily Show illustrates that). But she also has some rather "eccentric" ideas as well.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

I love the dichotomy between the stupid ideas threads. Liberal: Yes, s/he is a Democrat and yes, the idea is stupid. Republican: The idea isn't stupid, s/he is a RINO, that doesn't represent Republicans, etc.

Stupid ideas are stupid ideas. No group has a monopoly on them nor is any group free of them. Currently, the left elect far fewer promoting stupid ideas, whereas the right see it as a selling point. Doesn't mean that a quarter century from now that it will remain that way.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
However dumb a liberal idea might be, it's still smarter than the smartest conservative idea.
Conservative during Civil Rights Act-"Hold on we can't give black people more rights and leave white women behind. We need to include women also."

Dumb liberal idea-"We need to start looking into cannibalism to save us from climate change"
Old 09-06-2019, 10:03 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I love the dichotomy between the stupid ideas threads. Liberal: Yes, s/he is a Democrat and yes, the idea is stupid. Republican: The idea isn't stupid, s/he is a RINO, that doesn't represent Republicans, etc.
Notice that most of the contributions have come from the resident liberals. Apparently, the conservatives haven't found much that liberals do that's stupid.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Notice that most of the contributions have come from the resident liberals. Apparently, the conservatives haven't found much that liberals do that's stupid.
Go back and read Clothahump's posts. The problem is that "the conservatives" just assume everything liberals do is stupid, and therefore are unable to separate genuine stupidity from just stuff they disagree with.

Last edited by Gyrate; 09-09-2019 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:50 AM

Also: they are overwhelmingly, often unforgivably stupid.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Go back and read Clothahump's posts. ...
Faced with a choice of doing that, and going out to the garage to bash myself in the face with a claw hammer, I'm going to the garage.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Faced with a choice of doing that, and going out to the garage to bash myself in the face with a claw hammer, I'm going to the garage.
Man, remember how he stuck around for 18 years? Good times.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:13 PM

I have here an idea that is both stupid and liberal

Quote:
Unsettled by recent mass shootings across the nation, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors unanimously approved a resolution this week declaring the National Rifle Association a domestic terrorist organization.

NY Times
This isn't just someone whining, it's a resolution that was passed unanimously by the board.

The NRA is terrible and the day they no longer exist will be a good one. But it means nothing even according to the Supervisor who introduced the resolution:
Quote:
While the resolution has no practical effect, Ms. Stefani said in an interview on Wednesday, “I firmly believe that words matter, and I think this is a step in fighting the negative impact of the N.R.A.”
However it does inflame gun owners to feel like they are being called terrorists and are inflaming a beast and donors at a time when it's been losing the PR battle and falling apart due to self-inflicted missteps.

This resolution does nothing good, won't help change any minds, but it sure will allow the NRA to claim victimhood (they are even suing over this) and probably squeeze more donations out of rubes at a time they can use it.

Also I am not sure that calling the NRA a terrorist organization is not a slippery slope that would demonize other groups. The NRA can be terrible without having that specific branding, a branding that means nothing for all practical purposes. They're bringing attention to something but it's also got the attention of gun fetishists.

Seriously, San Francisco, you're not helping.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:24 AM

Yeah, that's just virtue signalling with a dash of trolling the NRA. It was not well thought out.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
probably squeeze more donations out of rubes
Wayne LaPierre ought to express his appreciation, perhaps by giving the board members some of his cast-off suits.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:41 PM

The Democratic Party of Arizona is on the verge of voting to censure Senator Kyrsten Sinema for her voting record, which is the most pro-Individual 1 record of any Democratic Senator. The vote is supposed to occur today at their convention.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ma/2356605001/
Old 09-21-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
This isn't just someone whining, it's a resolution that was passed unanimously by the board.

The NRA is terrible and the day they no longer exist will be a good one. But it means nothing even according to the Supervisor who introduced the resolution:However it does inflame gun owners to feel like they are being called terrorists and are inflaming a beast and donors at a time when it's been losing the PR battle and falling apart due to self-inflicted missteps.

This resolution does nothing good, won't help change any minds, but it sure will allow the NRA to claim victimhood (they are even suing over this) and probably squeeze more donations out of rubes at a time they can use it.

Also I am not sure that calling the NRA a terrorist organization is not a slippery slope that would demonize other groups. The NRA can be terrible without having that specific branding, a branding that means nothing for all practical purposes. They're bringing attention to something but it's also got the attention of gun fetishists.

Seriously, San Francisco, you're not helping.
The NRA put out a commercial calling liberals terrorists. They can get fucked.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
The NRA put out a commercial calling liberals terrorists. They can get fucked.
Of course they can. But you can't legislate "get fucked." And if you try to you look like an idiot.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2019, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Democratic Party of Arizona is on the verge of voting to censure Senator Kyrsten Sinema for her voting record, which is the most pro-Individual 1 record of any Democratic Senator. The vote is supposed to occur today at their convention.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ma/2356605001/
Clarify, please. Senator Sinema being even moderately pro-Individual 1 is a pretty stupid idea, but so is the fact that the Party is only now getting around to censuring her for it...
Old 09-21-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Clarify, please. Senator Sinema being even moderately pro-Individual 1 is a pretty stupid idea, but so is the fact that the Party is only now getting around to censuring her for it...
Well, she's only been a Senator since the beginning of the year.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Despite her voting record in the house, which was something like 95% pro-Trump, during the general election you would have gotten the impression she'd substitute a Mexican baby for your white baby, then eat it. This was in a series of ads from a PAC in support of McSally, but not McSally herself (nope, nope, nope).
Old 11-02-2019, 02:24 PM

Nancy Pelosi thinks she's "a left-wing San Francisco liberal". It is to laugh.
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...-the-electoral
Old 11-02-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Using the DWNOMINATE ranking she scores -0.49, which puts her in the third bucket of liberalness. She’s not most firebrandy liberal in the world, partly due to the demands of her leadership positions, but she’s pretty damn liberal.

Mother Jones
Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear; 11-02-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Not being a condescending dick to Christians is actually a pretty good idea.
Unless they are HIDING behind it to excuse or justify their hateful fucking bullshit. And/or are disgusting lousy two-faced hypocrites.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:35 AM

I have been reliably informed that all Democrats are radical Communists and that Pelosi is the most Democrat-est of Democrats. Therefore she's a liberal.
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

Joe Biden:

He then argued that “No man has a right to raise a hand to a woman in anger other than in self-defense, and that rarely ever occurs.”

“So we have to just change the culture, period,” Biden said. “And keep punching at it and punching it and punching at it.”

LOL